T-34 TANK: PERMISSION TO FIRE (BW2 bulky offense)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so this is me with yet another RMT; this one is pretty much identical to the previous one except for 1 changed Pokemon, and I also changed a few moves and EV spreads. This is still one of my best teams I ever made in BW/BW2, and I haven't made many so it's not that much of an accomplishment, but it's really got me pretty far on the ladder (pretty much peaked 2000 which I've never done before). It's a straight-up bulky offense team; with Mew burning certain threats and taunting hazardous leads/Pokemon like Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Forretress and pretty much rendering them useless and forcing them to switch around and give Mew the opportunity to burn some more Pokemon; then, after burning them, I try as much as possible to give physically defensive Skarmory and specially defensive Tyranitar the chance to set up Spikes and Stealth Rock, respectively. With Rocky Helmet Skarmory being able to take on the likes of Conkeldurr and Toxicroak (outside of rain) all day long and punish them, while Tyranitar takes on all non-fighting special moves from the likes of Lati@s and trap certain threats. And it can also take on all weather starters excluding Choice Specs Politoed, physical Abomasnow and Hippowdon. The only thing it can't take is a scald burn from Politoed, but it's not so bothersome if Tyranitar already set-up SR and took down the Lati@s of the opposite team.

Then, after all that is said and done, comes the cleaners and sweepers of the team; a double dragon core of Latias and Garchomp, and EBelt Keldeo. Latias throws LO-boosted Draco Meteors left and right while hitting the likes of Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory (outside of rain) with HP Fire. And it can also somewhat make use of rain with Surf, and it can recover off all the residual damage it takes. Keldeo comes next, with Expert Belt and a bluffed choice set and it will just continue to kill off anything that doesn't outspeed it. Last but not least, Choice Scarf Garchomp closes off the game with either Outrage or Earthquake, depending on the situation.

I chose the title that you see because a Tank is what this team is, really. It's slow yet deadly and bulky. Slow, but hits very hard. And because it's my Tyranitar's nickname and Tyranitar is my absolute all-time favourite Pokemon ever since I saw him in Celebi: Voice of the Forest. Which is a pretty bad movie but my child-self liked it.

Now, to meet the team:

|
|
|
|
|

In depth:

(Prince) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 220 HP / 164 Def / 36 SpA / 88 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Softboiled
- Ice Beam

My usual lead. It doesn't only blow people away since they ALWAYS think it's gonna use Stealth Rock, but it also blows people away because it spreads burns and can easily break through walls with Taunt/Burn. Ice Beam does great against dragons whether they're burned or not. Dragonite isn't a problem here because I can easily burn him and tank all his physical hits, a mixed Dragonite with Hurricane in the rain can be quite troublesome though, but I can burn to negate Multiscale's effect assuming SR isn't up and then Ice Beam for a neat OHKO or 2HKO. It can't really do anything besides Hurricane.

I've ran against a bunch of people who switch in Xatu on Mew fearing an SR or a Taunt, but they're vulnerable to Ice Beam. Although reflecting Taunt unto my Mew is annoying, I can predict a switch and Ice Beam right away. Espeon is the problem though, especially variants with HP Fighting or Signal Beam. Tyranitar, despite being specially defensive, can fall to those.

It's pretty obvious why I chose Taunt on this moveset, to break walls and cripple Pokemon like Blissey or Ferrothorn and the likes. And it works pretty well. Softboiled is my healing move of choice and it's pretty great. Mew doesn't die easily unless he's being constantly being hit with heavy moves.

EVs make this guy quite bulky and able to take an Outrage from dragons and retaliate with either a burn to make Mew tank another one and cripple the dragons or Ice Beam if I'm comfortable it will score an OHKO. Timid 88 Spd make me outspeed all Tyranitar, Magnezone, max Heatran, most Landorus-T, all variants of Gliscor, and Scizor. It also lets me safely OHKO Lando-T and Gliscor which are somewhat troublesome to my team.

(T-34 TANK) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 248 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock

My powerhorse. Not only does it counter the Lati@s solid, but it can also do huge amounts of damage thanks to Crunch to basically anything that doesn't resist it. Superpower nails down stupid Ferrothorn switch-ins and it's a pretty good coverage move as it can do a neat chunk of damage to anything that switches in. Pursuit is obvious as I need it to trap the Lati@s, and Crunch is my preferable STAB move that I spam if there was nothing that resists it. Stealth Rock is there because I really need the extra free moveslot on Ferrothorn, and the only other viable move is Stone Edge, which is something I don't need much.

EVs make Tyranitar bulky on the special side that it can never die against a Lati@s unless it has prior-damage, and even with that there's a big chance that I will trap the Lati@s and OHKO anyway. 4 Spd allow me to speed-creep other Tyranitars with no speed investments and rape them with Superpower.

(SHARK ATTACK) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

I used to have Conkeldurr in this place and used it as my revenge-killer with Mach Punch. While it did the job very well, it left my team very open to Psychic types. Mainly Alakazam and to an extent, Espeon. It also left me very open to Volcarona and basically being a set-up fodder against her. So I switched him to this guy instead, and tested it for a while, and it was pretty awesome. The quick Stone Edge helped me many times and not only against Volcarona.

Outrage and Dragon Claw are pretty obvious. Outrage is the usual move of choice, but sometimes it's too risky getting confused so I go with Dragon Claw instead, especially if opposing Pokemon have been damaged to the point where I can KO with Dragon Claw. Earthquake and Stone Edge make the infamous QuakEdge combo which has won me quite the number of games.

As explained, Garchomp is pretty much my "Emergency Button". If somehow Gyarados, Dragonite, or Salamence manage to set up a Dragon Dance, this guy comes in and cleans the enemy a clean kill. It checks Volcarona pretty wonderfully and always OHKOs with Stone Edge.
(Latty) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 152 HP / 176 SAtk / 180 Spd
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power Fire
- Recover
- Surf

Latias is a bit underrated, because it's always compared to it's male counterpart. People don't realize that Latias is arguably better though, having access to very good offensive and defensive stats, and being able to successfully sweep while still being bulky and having a solid method of recovery through Recover. I used to have Refresh over HP Fire and used to use Latias as my status absorber, but I realized that I didn't really need a status absorber if it can't absorb Sleep. Ferrothorn can take on burns and paralysis all day without complaining, so yeah.

Draco Meteor is a given, so is Recover. I went with HP Fire and Surf to get as much coverage as I can against Steels and Ground-types, mainly Lucario and Gliscor. EVs allow me to survive +2 ES from Lucario while maintaining minimum LO recoil damage.

(Arya) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power Bug

Used to be a Specs Keldeo, until it was pointed out that EBelt Keldeo can indeed do as well as Specs Keldeo and can actually take down Celebi on it's own if I predict the switch-in and use Icy Wind. As I just explained, Icy Wind is there to surprise switch-ins (mainly Celebi and the Lati@s) and lower their speed, and going for the kill the next turn with HP Bug. HP Bug is also there instead of Electric so I can actually kill off Celebi, which otherwise could be a little bit problematic to this team. The only downside of giving up HP Electric is not being able to hit other Water-types, but most of them can be hit pretty hard with Secret Sword, and I have Latias to take on bulky waters, even if they carry Ice Beam.

@ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind

There is nothing better than punishing fighting-types that can easily break through my team if it wasn't for Skarmory. Conkeldurr and Toxicroak would literally rip my team apart if it isn't for this guy making them take 16% damage everytime they attack; and on top of that it's guaranteed that I can at least get 2 layers of spikes before they get their HP down to a point where I can actually kill them with a Brave Bird; and if I really want to go for the 3rd layer of Spikes then I could Roost if I predict a switch, otherwise I might get my Skarmory killed with a Drain Punch or something. Of course, that's all assuming the fighting-type I send Skarmory in against doesn't switch out, in that case, I set up a layer of Spike and switch it out again. If I see a Magnezone coming, I usually bring in Latias or Tyranitar, as they are my best check against him. Never bring it in on a Scizor if you see a Magnezone in the same team. It WILL U-Turn out and go to Magnezone, a mistake I made quite a few times thanks to me acting by instinct and forgetting they actually have a Mag in their team.

36 Spe EVs are so that I can outspeed minimum-speed Magnezone (84) if I managed to get my Skarmory trapped, and be able to set up another layer of Spikes. Also to speed-creep opposing Skarmories.

Weaknesses of the team:
Gastrodon/Quagsire: walls my entire team. My best bet is to burn it with Mew, taunt it so it can't recover, then hope for a kill with Latias's DM.

Gengar: SubDisable or any Sub Gengar can really hurt my team if behind a sub.

Landorus-T: Although Skarmory can take it on all day erryday, my team is still just a little bit tiny weak to it.

Jellicent: Another bulky water that walls my entire team. Best bet is to Crunch it with Ttar and cross my fingers that Jelli doesn't burn him, or that it's not physically defensive.​

Conclusion:

So there you have it, my favourite team with my favourite playstyle. Rate, comment, steal if you want, hate, love, fuck, have sex, do whatever you want.

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hi, nice team.

This is pretty much the standard Sand team for BW2, with a great use of an underrated threat in Support Mew, so props for that. The synergy here is also pretty nice, so good job on that too. However, there are some threats that I can see that will give your team a whole lot of trouble. So, my rate will help cover all that ground & improve your team. Taking a quick glance over your team, I see a serious weakness to Quiver Dance Volcarona. Volcarona, especially variants with Giga Drain threaten your team heavily, as it has several setup opportunities, most notably against Mew, which can't do much against it, & Latias, weakened by a Draco Meteor. Volcarona can then use it's coverage moves to 2HKO your entire team, & your only chance at beating it after it sets up is your Scarf Garchomp, which has to rely on an inaccurate move in Stone Edge, or risk a burn with Outrage / Dragon Claw. Another huge threat to your team is Sub + DD Gyarados. Gyarados can setup if you misplay Mew & once again on weakened Latias, then proceed to destroy your team with Waterfall & Bounce. To help remedy this situation, I would like to recommend running a Choice Scarf Terrakion over your current Garchomp. Terrakion does a much better job than Terrakion at beating Volcarona, Gyarados, Dragonite, & Salamence with it's main STAB, Stone Edge (The latter 3 are OHKO'd by it). Terrakion also gives you a good chance at beating Gengar, which you said is another big threat to your team. Now, I would like to do some nitpicking. First, on Mew, I would like you to change its EV spread to one of 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe with a Bold nature over your current spread. This spread allows Mew to outrun Jolly Breloom, Adamant D-Nite & Adamant Gyarados, while still maintaining bulk to take Physical hits. My other, & final suggestion would be to consider running Shed Shell on your Skarmory over Rocky Helmet. Shed Shell obviously helps you escape Magnezone, allowing your teammates to kill it off, giving Skarmory another chance to set up Spikes. That's about it, hope I helped. Good luck!

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Garchomp
-------------------------------------------> Choice Scarf Terrakion

Mew
:
220 HP / 164 Def / 36 SpA / 88 Spe -> 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Timid -> Bold

Skarmory
: Rocky Helmet -> Shed Shell

mael

not the same but equal
is a Community Contributorwon the 14th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
UUPL Champion
Nice team, but you lack a sleep absorber, why don't you use resttalk > stone edge on Garchomp? It is a better option since volcanora likely is not going to be at full health if you face it and eq already does a ton to it, I cannot really see Stone edge being more useful in any situation but against volcanora.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi, nice team.

This is pretty much the standard Sand team for BW2, with a great use of an underrated threat in Support Mew, so props for that. The synergy here is also pretty nice, so good job on that too. However, there are some threats that I can see that will give your team a whole lot of trouble. So, my rate will help cover all that ground & improve your team. Taking a quick glance over your team, I see a serious weakness to Quiver Dance Volcarona. Volcarona, especially variants with Giga Drain threaten your team heavily, as it has several setup opportunities, most notably against Mew, which can't do much against it, & Latias, weakened by a Draco Meteor. Volcarona can then use it's coverage moves to 2HKO your entire team, & your only chance at beating it after it sets up is your Scarf Garchomp, which has to rely on an inaccurate move in Stone Edge, or risk a burn with Outrage / Dragon Claw. Another huge threat to your team is Sub + DD Gyarados. Gyarados can setup if you misplay Mew & once again on weakened Latias, then proceed to destroy your team with Waterfall & Bounce. To help remedy this situation, I would like to recommend running a Choice Scarf Terrakion over your current Garchomp. Terrakion does a much better job than Terrakion at beating Volcarona, Gyarados, Dragonite, & Salamence with it's main STAB, Stone Edge (The latter 3 are OHKO'd by it). Terrakion also gives you a good chance at beating Gengar, which you said is another big threat to your team. Now, I would like to do some nitpicking. First, on Mew, I would like you to change its EV spread to one of 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe with a Bold nature over your current spread. This spread allows Mew to outrun Jolly Breloom, Adamant D-Nite & Adamant Gyarados, while still maintaining bulk to take Physical hits. My other, & final suggestion would be to consider running Shed Shell on your Skarmory over Rocky Helmet. Shed Shell obviously helps you escape Magnezone, allowing your teammates to kill it off, giving Skarmory another chance to set up Spikes. That's about it, hope I helped. Good luck!

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Garchomp
-------------------------------------------> Choice Scarf Terrakion

Mew
:
220 HP / 164 Def / 36 SpA / 88 Spe -> 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Timid -> Bold

Skarmory
: Rocky Helmet -> Shed Shell

Terrakion's a great suggestion, I've never thought of it since I haven't really used Terrakion much in the past; i'll put it into use. Although the thing is I'll be taking more risks in Stone Edge missing against flying dragons; I realize my team is extremely weak to Volcarona as I explained in the OP, and that's basically why I ran choice scarf Garchomp, other than the fact that it gets Stone Edge and can still kill Volcarona just as Terrakion can, it also gets STAB Outrage/D.Claw to reliably revenge DDers and fast dragons, and also a STAB EQ late-game really saved my ass numerous times when Skarmory was taken down early and I was up against a Scizor (which shouldn't happen; skarmory shouldn't die when scizor is out there) or a Mach Punch infernape even though it's rare; and the fact that Garchomp can somewhat take on Bullet and Mach Punches and retaliate with one of the strongest EQs in the metagame (and 2HKO Scizor after SR) is pretty good. Terrakion is pretty much weak to all 3 common priorities in Aqua Jet, Bullet Punch and Mach Punch. And since Terrakion really doesn't like the defense drops from CC it'll probably be overkill.

Still, I will test Terrakion and see if the results are satisfying. The only niche it has over Garchomp is the fact that it has STAB Stone Edge/Rock Slide that can reliably OHKO a Gyarados.

As for Mew's spread, I didn't use the on-site spread for a purpose; it's outdated. Mew doesn't always kill Landorus-T with Ice Beam and that left me in pretty bad situations before. Unless it's Scarf, it's pretty threatening to my team even with Skarmory flying around. So I need a clean kill on him; and the speed investments allow me to outspeed all Gliscors except variants that run more than 224 speed, which is also a good thing. So the EVs make it so that it can outspeed both Gliscor and Lando-T, while still maintaining enough bulk to take on things like a banded Scizor's u-turn early game or a Banded Garchomp's Outrage. I used the on-site spread for a while before realizing it didn't quite do what I wanted it to do and that was check Landorus-T and Gliscor (which were both huge threats to the team before I added Skarmory)

I like the idea of Shed Shell Skarmory though, I'll test that with Choice Scarf Terrakion :D

Nice team, but you lack a sleep absorber, why don't you use resttalk > stone edge on Garchomp? It is a better option since volcanora likely is not going to be at full health if you face it and eq already does a ton to it, I cannot really see Stone edge being more useful in any situation but against volcanora.
You have no idea how Volcarona can literally sweep my entire team after 1 single QD. I added Garchomp based on someone's suggestion just so I can revenge Volcarona and have it checked. If I'm keeping Garchomp there is no way I'll be removing Stone Edge, it's just too valuable. It can also let me revenge-kill Gyarados. An EQ does quite a lot to offensive QD Volc (74%-88%) it's still not enough; and if it's a bulky Volcarona or a ChestoRest Volcarona then I'm royally fucked. Although Volcs who don't carry Giga Drain are much less threatening. If the guy I'm facing is smart he'll realize my team is weak to Volcarona right away and try to go for an early sweep before Rocks are set-up- and that's smart.

After Tyranitar finishes setting up SR and killing a Lati@s if there is one, it can be used as sleep fodder. Skarmory takes on everything Breloom throws at it while it can OHKO with a Brave Bird; Latias works the same way, except I gotta watch out for Stone Edge as it's a 2HKO with LO - 3HKO without. Breloom can be annoying but it's checked.

Thanks both of you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)