Resource SWSH RU Short Questions and Short Answers

I agree with Entei's viability, but you're underselling Darmanitan by only focusing on its HDB set.

What makes Entei a way better choice on sun teams than Scarf Darmanitan outside of being able to break Incineroar? Their Flare Blitzes have almost the same exact amount of power, but Darmanitan can also scout for a teammate and is harder to revenge.
Well being able to break past Incineroar is pretty important it also has much appreciated priority in Extreme Speed, which could revenge kill boosted threats like autotomize Necrozma and Sharpedo. Darmanitan's main advantage is being able to pivot, however pivoting and killing yourself more quickly with rocks is not very desirable on a sun team. Entei also does not HAVE to kill itself with Flare Blitz all the time it has Sacred Fire to. Entei also has more bulk making it longer lasting than Darmanitan and has the potential 50% burn of Sacred Fire.

What (other) pokemon would benefict from Thunder Wave/paralysis support?
I'm trying to build a team with Grimmsnarl. I was thinking or stuff like Hex Chandelure and Band Metagross, but wanted to hear other suggestions.
Asides Togekiss I'm not so sure what faster targets Grimmsnarl's Thunder Wave is reliably going to hit, its not like your Grimmsnarl is inviting in much beyond bulky Steel-, Water-types and Togekiss. All of which are not too fast already, but If I were to recommend something I think Heracross might be a good idea.
E: maybe not Heracross I remember that Heracross is faster than Togekiss now. Metagross sounds fine yeah, though it may not need to be CB.

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
i haven't seen grimmsnarl on the RUVR, neither have i seen it discussed much, so i just assumed it was unranked. however, smogon's recent spotlight says that banded grimmsnarl is a major threat in ru. is grimmsnarl good? a tier, b tier, c tier? etc

What's caused the rise in Umbreon other than general use of it as a check/counter to stuff like Reuniclus and Necrozma? IIRC it was like in the B ranks and now its mid-A in terms of viability.
Firstly it doesn't counter Reuniclus, Reuniclus can boost up and get past Umbreon with Focus Blast. I hope I didn't misremember anything, A while ago our best Dark-type Zarude left, it wasn't very necessary to bend over for Umbreon's passivity when an amazing offensive Dark-type in Zarude existed. After Zarude rose to UU the remaining options for Dark-types were even more limited; Our good Dark-types asides Sharpedo were Incineroar and Umbreon .Dark-types are important for keeping threats like Chandelure, Necrozma, and Polteageist in check who outside the scope of Dark-types aren't very easy to check. Even while Mienshao, which could take advantage of Umbreon with Life Orb sets was in the tier Umbreon saw use and was good. Eventually Mienshao got banned and no longer did Umbreon need to worry about being taken advantage of by Life Orb Mienshao or by Mienshao VoltTurn. Durant getting banned later on probably helped it a bit too as the defensive teams Umbreon finds itself on probably struggle to handle it without a Talonflame or smth else. Currently its a solid Special Wall that's able to take on a huge portion of the metagame which can support its team with valuable tools, and its worth covering for its weaknesses since it covers so much of the metagame.

why did diancie drop?wasn't it A-?
You would be correct in saying this, however, with more prominent threats such as Lucario,Metagross, Flygon etc rising, there is more pressure on Diancie to the point where it becomes more of a burden to build around. Most of the Hazard removers in the tier can easily outstall Diamond Storms PP and freely remove hazards meaning its role as a rocker is slowly fading and being outclassed by the rising likes of Necrozma or Nidoqueen who do match up well into most removers. Diancie is still obviously good, it compresses the likes of Obstagoon and Incinaroar however outside that it is slowly falling.

You would be correct in saying this, however, with more prominent threats such as Lucario,Metagross, Flygon etc rising, there is more pressure on Diancie to the point where it becomes more of a burden to build around. Most of the Hazard removers in the tier can easily outstall Diamond Storms PP and freely remove hazards meaning its role as a rocker is slowly fading and being outclassed by the rising likes of Necrozma or Nidoqueen who do match up well into most removers. Diancie is still obviously good, it compresses the likes of Obstagoon and Incinaroar however outside that it is slowly falling.
I'm not on the VR team, but this feels inaccurate. Diancie is weak to threats like Lucario, Metagross, and Flygon, yes, however its competition in other specially defensive stealth rock setters such as Stakataka and especially Registeel also is. Sure its not a Steel-type but it definitely competes with them—If Diancie is run if oftentimes takes the place of these Steel-types. Registeel's bulk is a bit better overall, it resists Fairy and Psychic, making it an effective Gardevoir answer, its not water weak, meaning its less afraid of Water-types. Stakataka resists fairy and psychic too, and is more threatening so it can pretty reliably land Toxic on important bulky targets such as Milotic and Gastrodon.

Yeah it struggles to beat Defog users like bulky Crobat one v one, but Stealth Rock still has more PP, so in that regard it can keep hazards up. Asides Xatu it pretty reliably can get SR up. The thing that does actually suck is Togekiss easily beating Diancie 1v1 if it lacks Toxic or Power Gem>Diamond Storm. I guess it does compete with Specially Defensive Nidoqueen somewhat as a SR setter, but its much more comparable to Registeel and its just not very similar to Necrozma as a SR supporter.

While Diancie has fallen out of favor its arguably gotten better as of recently because of Obstagoon having become a top threat. With the more recent rise of Obstagoon there's probably a valid argument for it to be A- though it staying where it is seems very fair.

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
i'm slowly thinking about getting back into competitive mons, and ru seems interesting. i used to play zu, because i loved all the unique pokemon and sets that came from being involved in the meta.

so, to the people here who love ru, what makes ss ru a heat tier? i.e. what are the cool pokemon & sets in this meta?

i'm slowly thinking about getting back into competitive mons, and ru seems interesting. i used to play zu, because i loved all the unique pokemon and sets that came from being involved in the meta.

so, to the people here who love ru, what makes ss ru a heat tier? i.e. what are the cool pokemon & sets in this meta?
Not really a simple question but ill try to answer as shortly as i can. Two of the most splashable mons in the tier are Flygon and Crobat. Both provide with amazing defensive utility and keep momentum up thanks to their strong stabs forcing switches and u-turn. Flygon has a variety of sets like Scarf, Dragon Dance or even Band with First Impression, while Crobat normally runs brave bird u turn defog roost cause its the easiest set to put on a team, but other moves like toxic or taunt over defog or even a nasty plot set are perfectly viable. Other common mons you will see are Cobalion, Registeel, Metagross, Xurkitree Obstagoon and Togekiss.

Some cool sets that you wouldnt expect at all are Scarf Trick Starmie, Cosmic Power Metagross, Itemless Physical Tornadus or even Specs Cobalion. I'd say RU is in a pretty good place when it comes to creativity in the builder, especially for someone new there is a lot to try. If you want to discuss more anytime, you can join our Discord here. Hope to see you around :psyglad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)