Metagame SWSH Little Cup Teambuilding Competition

F1DB7F85-C132-4180-B497-DD5C389B190E.png

:Salandit: :Skrelp: :Bulbasaur: :Stunky: :Croagunk: :Venipede:
so you know how I haven’t posted since week 1? So what if I merged every catergory, into 1 team. Yes Bella, I am drunk, shut up
:salandit:
It all starts here since Salandit is the ONLY poison that also has fire type. I decided to make it support Salandit since in rain it can’t really run fire stab and without fire stab yeah it really can’t be offensive, and with sun i cant use Croag or Skrelp
:salandit: :skrelp:
Salandit needed a buddy and I needed a rain abuser so Skrelp was kinda obvious, strong ass water stabs and tspikes for Salandit to use venoshock + venom drench, in return Salandit can paralyze faster threats for Skrelp so win-win
:salandit: :skrelp: :bulbasaur: :stunky:
Yeah so i needed a grass and Bulba has weather ball so why not. Stunky is the fastest poison weather setter so...
:salandit: :skrelp: :bulbasaur: :stunky: :croagunk: :venipede:
Croagunk was obvious. Venipede? Ehhhh it’s hyper offense, you need spikes
:Mareanie:
Oh my fucking god I hate this starfish (self explanatory, it walls my whole team)
Literally any psychic
HOLY SHIT FREDDY FAZBEAR HAS PSYCHIC POWERS
:porygon:
Imagine needing to have stab to hit hard with psychic lmao
I am William Afton/Purple Guy/Burntrap and this abomination is trying to stop me once and for all, I can’t keep making shitty teams no more. But jokes on them DLC is coming out and I will be able to control them and take over the tri pizzaplex area
As you could clearly tell, this is a shitpost. After this I will participate more seriously but be warned. I ALWAYS COME BACK

Drifting

wrapped in plastic
is a Tiering Contributor

After waking a break for a week, I'm glad to announce your winner for the round two weeks ago was, with 7 votes:

Final Gambit Fighters by reggg
:Farfetch :Riolu: :Mienfoo: :Timburr: :Pancham: :Croagunk:

I'll add it to the hall of fame

WEEK SEVEN

:xy/dwebble: :xy/Ponyta: :xy/Timburr: :xy/Grookey: :xy/Abra: :xy/Carvanha: :xy/Natu: :xy/Magby: :xy/Shellder: :xy/Shellos:

If you've been active in LC ladder recently, I'm sure you'll see what the above pokemon have in common. Cheese. Your Canadian Spikes, your Screens Magby, Your Cosmic Power and Shellos, all very prevalent and (frankly) infuriating tactics that can make enjoying this tier a pain in the neck sometimes.

But no more.

Say you're playing in a tournament, and for whatever reason you know that your next opponent is most-likely going to bring some variant of cheese, and you need to build something to counteract that. That is what you are doing this week; Build a team that is for the most part cheese-proof, while (ideally) still remaining viable against standard teams.

We are going to save ladder together :psyangry:

Good Luck.

Building will end on Sunday September 11th, 11:59pm

Shandeur Presents:
Anti-Cheese Spikes with a side of Cheese
:xy/venipede: :xy/golett: :xy/timburr: :xy/ponyta: :xy/shellder: :xy/cottonee:

I'm mainly a builder of spike stacking offense and balance teams. Fitting that idea, I decided to build an Anti-Cheese Spike Stack team. This is a team where you are built to fight-cheese, whilst also viably having a chance vs balance teams. (Foo, Koffing, Ferro balance cores, etc.) This also fights fire with fire, as it involves cheese of it's own. The goal intended was to have a solid matchup into every mon in the post that Drifting (#DriftingSweep) put up.

:xy/venipede:
D4C (Venipede) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Pin Missile
- Protect
- Endeavor

Named after one of the best AC/DC songs, Venipede is an anti Abra and Carv lead. It also manages to lead well into Screens Natu and the Lead Diglett that people run on screens teams. This is a Venipede designed to destroy Diglett leads, with max attack and an Adamant nature, Pin Missile is a guaranteed One Hit KO against Lead Diglett if it gets three hits. It can also Endeavor Screens Natu and Pin Missile it to finish it off. If you're really lucky and you have the Sash intact, you can use Pin Missile, and if you get 5 hits, you beat screens Natu. Now they have no screens, and no rocks and a Sash Venipede waiting to Endeavor.

:xy/golett:
HiiiPower (Golett) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 244 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Poltergeist
- Earthquake
- Dynamic Punch
- Rock Slide

Golett has been rising in popularity on offensive teams due to its ability to stave off a +6 Magby, unlike Scarfers such as Porygon. It is also a good cleaner, and can help vs neutral Ponyta and goes solidly into Natu and Abra that is not behind a Substitute.

:xy/timburr:
I'm Still Standing (Timburr) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 76 HP / 36 Atk / 76 Def / 236 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge
- Bulk Up

Bulk Up Timburr, but with Stone Edge to crit through screens, Natu, and Shellos, as even a +6 Shellos can't take a +6 Stone Edge due to the crit.

+6 36 Atk Timburr Stone Edge vs. 228 HP / 132+ Def Eviolite Shellos on a critical hit: 30-36 (111.1 - 133.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It's an anti-crit me not sweeper mon, as well as being a solid win condition against things that can't deal with it. The evs also let it outspeed Scarf Porygon in Tailwind, and live Focus Sash Abra's Psychic, letting it scout for which set it is in a pinch. If it's Sash, you can damage it heavily with Drain Punch into Mach Punch. If it's Life Orb, you can revenge kill it with Golett.

:xy/ponyta:
Hot for Teacher (Ponyta) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Flame Charge
- High Horsepower

Ponyta is the most normal mon on the team. It's the standard Berry Juice Attacker set, Flame Charge + STAB and Coverage, nothing too special here. It also appreciates Cottonee's Memento, allowing it to grab a Flame Charge or two even more easily.

:xy/shellder:
5/4 (Shellder) @ King's Rock
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

I've wanted to build King's Rock Shellder for a while, and with a build that was going to include Memento Cottonee, I jumped at the chance. This is the main cheese mon on this team, as Sub + Smash can take advantage of switches, and King's Rock is the nail in the coffin for things that can probably take a hit, such as Ferroseed and Pawniard. It can click these moves for free. Memento + Substitute is an amazing combination with Cottonee's help, and Flinches + Substitute will infuriate your opponent to no avail. It's sticking its tongue out at you for a damn REASON.

:xy/cottonee:
Dream On (Cottonee) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 140 SpA / 36 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Memento
- Encore
- Dazzling Gleam
- Tailwind

Finally, Cottonee is the last mon here. It's a dedicated Carvanha check, an Acrobatics-less Grookey check (and even with Acro, it can Memento Grookey.), and isn't totally stuffed by Natu, due to Memento + Tailwind. The latter is also very good for Ponyta, Timburr, and Shellder. Its grass typing also allows it to come into trappers such as Diglett and Trapinch and start messing with the opponent. It can also Encore setup sweepers into set-up moves and revenge kill them with Memento and Tailwind.

This is a very fun team from my testing experience, and it does solidly into other cheese and balance teams. Hope this does well in the competition!​

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/7c0c695100151030
:ss/mienfoo: :ss/koffing: :ss/ferroseed: :ss/ponyta-galar: :ss/drilbur: :ss/pawniard:

Anti-HO time

My time zone is currently wonky (I am studying abroad), so I might not be as active as I was before.

Looks really standard, and thats cause it is. Mienfoo :mienfoo: + Koffing :koffing: + Ferroseed :ferroseed: is a good core as is. Mienfoo is team glue, Koffing is anti-foo, and Ferroseed is anti-special attacker. Koffing is Will-o so that Tyrunt doesn't get free setup. Ferroseed is Spikes, cause HO teams don't have removal. Might as well make use of it.

Then we get into the special stuff. Ponyta-G. :ponyta-galar:
I got into DPP LC recently due to it being a Ruins of Alph ladder, and one of the best leads (from my like, 25 ish game experience) is Gligar with a choice scarf. 19 Speed + Scarf means you aren't hitting it without priority. So why not use that here for anti HO? Psychic Types resist fighting, so Magby Mach Punch is going to be doing quite little, especially with a decent base 55 defense stat. Fire Ponyta is weak to Rocks and Tyrunt and has a Mach Punch Neutrality, meaning its much shakier as a check. Also reaching 28 speed means you're only ever outsped by Choice Scarf Diglett. Unless your opponent is running it on sun and isn't using sash, you're not seeing it. Bonus: You outspeed Tyrunt after a single D Dance. Without HO, you're good against Foo and Koffing (Among the other poisons and fightings) and can punish stuff that thinks it'll outspeed you.

Drilbur :drilbur:
I'm running fat Drilbur cause you always drop berry juice Pawniard with an EQ. Pawniard shuts down Scarf Pony-G pretty hard, plus I want Anti-Hazard Support. You survive a +1 Psychic Fangs from Runt (If they are running ice fang, then that's an L for me and I am a bozo). Rock Tomb is a funny move that means that nothing can set up on it because it denies speed boosts and that is funny. Also Cause it Punishes Natu really well. (if you got rocks up they get 2hkoed.) Speed investment is specifically for outspeeding Normal BJ Pawn so you can remove it outright. Not a trapper cause I want my hazard removal.

And now we have the second scarf user. :Pawniard:
Double Steel is pretty funny. This deals with Grassy Seed Grookey (They don't run drain punch, at least according to Canadian Spikes. Otherwise be careful.) Beats Abra that isn't Sash and has a really fast Knock Off, which is pretty amazing. Typing gives it natural bulk. Brick Break breaks past screens so they shouldn't be an issue. Also you outspeed the common Scarf Porygon. No Psycho Cut and instead Sucker cause it feels best. I can't really think of a good 4th move and Beat Up is just eh. Figured having scarf priority would be better.

So in total surprise HO with 2 Scarf Users that can take hits decently well. Hopefully this works out for your guys in Recs or Ladder. Have fun!

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lc-1660233793

here's it in practice versus screens

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lc-1660940922
and here it is against canadian spikes

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/1870cc8d0806c91f
:Pawniard: :Staryu: :Ponyta: :Trapinch: :Mienfoo: :Cottonee:

this team is just a middle finger to "cheese" of all sorts

oh are you facing screens, whether it be natu or abra? well here we have focus sash rock polish pawniard with brick break to help fix that, plus it's defiant to help with any memento shenanigans.

oh you're facing down Canadian Spikes (we all indulge) and dwebble is giving you issues? good thing we have life orb 4 attack staryu to just cause havoc and spread misery

uh oh, shellos (super skillfull mon) has started setting up on you? simply click focus energy and now you have 50% crit chance on earthquake! bye bye shellos!

magby (high skill level) has clicked belly drum? don't worry, we have scarf flash fire ponyta (who always lives +6 mach from full)

to round things out, we have a bulky(ish) mienfoo, but it's 14 speed with stone edge for larvesta, and a defog stun spore cottonee for extra assurance against hazards and fast sweepers.

this team is bad, but was built with a lot of hate in my heart so I hope you all enjoy

Last edited:

rarre

Sometimes I think maybe its too late
is a Tiering Contributor
:drilbur::diglett::grookey::larvesta::koffing::frillish:
Double Ground

:ss/drilbur:
Not the shrew (Drilbur) @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- High Horsepower
- Toxic

Provides rocks and hazard removal for the team. High horsepower is used over eq due to the grooker being on the team. Mold breaker toxic hits natu, severely reducing the threat of cosmic power sets, as well as hitting shellos. Frillish can then do damage with hex to Natu and hard wall shellos. Hazards are also extremely annoying for larvesta, so it appreciates one of the better spinners.

:ss/diglett:

Diglett @ Eviolite
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 156 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Final Gambit
- Sucker Punch
- Beat Up
The main method for dealing with magby. Ev spread lives +6 mach punch after rocks, and eq ko’s back. Otherwise it’s mostly a standard evio diglett. Diglett can revenge unboosted tyrunt, which is very useful for this team. Final gambit can emergency check crit-me-not sweepers.

+6 236 Atk Magby Mach Punch vs. 36 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Diglett: 13-16 (72.2 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

:ss/grookey:
Grookey @ Eviolite
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- U-turn
The grook is the main check to carv, Staryu, and weakened tyrunt. Eviolite also lets it act as an emergency check to shellos. Grookey is also the only source of knock on this team. Priority grassy glide can take frail neutral targets such as abra.

:ss/larvesta:
Larvesta @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun
Primary check for grookey and abra for this team. Wild charge hits waters, notably Staryu. Morning sun is last for predicted switches and if larv gets knocked. Scarf larv can also become a great late game cleaner and win condition.

:ss/koffing:
Koffing @ Eviolite
Ability: Neutralizing Gas
EVs: 76 Def / 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 156 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thief
A sort of standard set for koffing. Wisp cripples mienfoo and tyrunt, while thief can act as a pseudo knock off. Not much more to say.

:ss/frillish:
Frillish @ Eviolite
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
One of the more important defensive mons on the team, checking porygon, ponyta, natu, and more. Spreads burn quite well with wisp and scald.

Overall an interesting-ish team and usable against non-cheese. Hope it gets more than 1 vote this time

Last edited:

Kazeiyuu

formerly Be Like Bisharp
Alright, here comes....
"The team that was not even supposed to counter cheese but yet gets all the criteria for some reason"
By Be Like Bisharp
:bw/frillish::bw/larvesta::bw/timburr::bw/koffing::bw/ferroseed::bw/diglett:
First of all, I want to state that against most cheese, Scarf Frillish is ridiculously good, goat mon fr.
This stuff outspeeds everything, can pressure from turn 1 by existing and easily win the duel against almost all Dwebble:dwebble:, counters Magby:magby: and force Grookey to consume its Grassy Seed. It can also completely stop Natu from sweeping by using Trick, which is great.
Speeking of the monkey, we actually have two fighting/grass check, Larvesta and Koffing. This allows the team to basically compensate the pressure cheese want to put on your fighting resist, since they struggle quite a lot to deal with two of them at the same time. So, yeah, Grookey:grookey: and Timmy:timburr: covered.
Diglett is also key against offense, since it traps stuff like Abra:abra: and Ponyta:ponyta: that can be otherwise really hard to deal with. Also, it is one of the best way to deal with "crit me not sweeper" like Shellos:shellos-east: or Natu:natu:, thanks to the raw power of Final Gambit. Eviolite Diglett also wins the duel against +6 Magby:magby: if needed.
Timburr is overall one of the best Pokemon against offense, its great bulk combined to a strong priority in Iron Fist boosted Mach Punch allowing it to check and/or revenge kill key threats like Ponyta:ponyta:, Carvanha:carvanha:, Shellder:shellder: and a weakened Tyrunt:tyrunt:. Defog is also great to deal with Screens or stack hazard teams.

Finally, Ferroseed might seems like a weird choice considering the theme, and, well, it is. However, it is here for one key reason, this reason being Scarf Frillish:frillish:, the cheesiest stuff in the meta in my opinion. Without Ferro, I'm basically 6-0ed, and I'm not even kidding. So, yeah, Ferro it is.

Last edited:
The first thought I had when building this team was how to deal with spike-stacking :dwebble: Dwebble leads, and :onix: Onix is one of the few mons which can effectively prevent the standard eviolite Dwebble set from setting more than one layer of spikes, with head smash having a 75% chance to kill at neutral/a guaranteed one shot at +1. Onix also has utility against a number of other hyper offense mons: It lives+6 :magby: Magby, wins setup wars against crit-me-not variants of :natu: Natu and :shellos: Shellos, checks :ponyta: Ponyta, and lives a close combat from +1:tyrunt: Tyrunt to setup and revenge kill. Finally, Onix can safely setup on screens variants of Natu and :staryu: Staryu due to its thunder wave immunity.

Special attacking sash :diglett: Diglett helps with the :grookey: Grookey weakness that :onix: Onix provides. This is the standard sash set, meant specifically to counter Grookey and broadly to revenge kill fast attackers such as :ponyta: Ponyta and :abra: Abra. A weakness of this team is non-screens :staryu: Staryu, so final gambit is useful for it in a pinch.

:timburr: Timburr is next, functioning as both an essential :carvanha: Carvanha check and as the first form of hazard removal for the two flying types on this lineup. Additionally, it checks normals such as :porygon: Porygon in balance matchups, provides strong priority against :tyrunt: Tyrunt, and gives knock off support for :onix: Onix and :archen: Archen to wall break or sweep.

:natu: Natu is the second form of hazard removal on this team, can function as an offensive check to the fighting type mons which can potentially trouble this team, and checks non-knock off variants of :grookey: Grookey including the standard grassy seed set. Not much to say here, just the standard Natu set.

Scarf :archen: Archen is the second offensive check to fightings for this team, with sky-high attack and a dangerous flying stab in dual wingbeat. Archen outspeeds base 19 threats such as :abra: Abra, :ponyta: Ponyta, and :staryu: Staryu and hits them hard. This particular Archen runs 76 defense EVs in place of HP EVs to always stay above defeatist after a :timburr: Timburr mach punch.

:ferroseed: Ferroseed rounds out the lineup, providing security gainst special attackers such as :abra: Abra, :porygon: Porygon, and :staryu: Staryu. Provides thunder wave support, and can set spikes for :onix: Onix and :archen: Archen to capitalize on. Chosen over :pawniard: Pawniard as a steel type for better matchups against :carvanha: Carvanha, :grookey: Grookey, and Staryu.

This team definitely has its' problems, but it was still very fun to make. Onix is a fun centerpiece for a team, even if its' quad weaknesses put a lot of burden on teambuilding.

Last edited:
In the course of making this team, I found that almost anything can be "anti-cheese" if you justify hard enough. So I built a fairly normal team with special consideration for certain cheese mons. So: here is Standard Anti-Cheese.
https://pokepast.es/9faf2b2f341a65a0
:staryu: :abra: :carvanha: :diglett: :koffing: :mienfoo:

First of all: :staryu: Staryu. As its name suggests, this mon is an anti-lead to dwebble, carrying scald to deal big damage and scare out physical attackers from switching in, as well as rapid spin to remove hazards and thunderbolt to annoy dual power natu and shellos, with recover being there for general longevity.

:abra: Sashbra is a classic counter to all forms of sweepers, dishing out big damage with psychic and getting near-guaranteed kills with counter, with shadow ball being for opposing abra and scarfrillish and protect as a general staller of turns, as well as first impression and fake out.

:carvanha: The anti-screens measure of the team, Carvanha scares out common screens setters in natu and abra, and isn't easy for many other mons to handle either, with the exception of timburr and grookey, the former of which has no intentions of switching in on flip turn.

:diglett: final gambit diglett is a last-ditch measure against crit-me-not sweepers. With full HP investment, it's a guaranteed KO with only a little chip damage. earthquake is mandatory and beat up + sucker punch are more anti-psychic measures. It's also eviolite with defense investment, making it a 100% counter to magby, even with stealth rock up.

:koffing: koffing is so good man. pain split is a good way to keep healthy throughout a game while also dealing damage, and will-o-wisp neutralizes physical attackers like grookey and carvanha. Toxic is a more niche move meant specifically for dealing with shellos and greedy natu who try to set up on a koffing without thunderbolt.

:mienfoo: mienfoo rounds out the lineup, and its sole mission is to be a nasty surprise to any would-be special sweeper. With max special defense investment, this foo has a chance to live a psychic from life orb abra. The moveset is the same as standard mienfoo, with the main difference being a slow u-turn instead.

looking at this team, I would say it handles most types of cheese well with the exception of carv and shellder. but that's alright, considering shellder isn't actually very good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)