Metagame SwSh LCUU Metagame Discussion Thread

Eevee is eligible to be used in LC UU, don't worry. The reason it does not feature in the viability rankings is because it lacks a real niche that would warrant someone wanting to consider using it on a competently built team.

Edit: If you feel that that statement is false and that Eevee should be included in the VR, I encourage you to test it out and make a post showing evidence of its effectiveness in LC UU.
i wish i didn't know that. eevee is my favorite pokemon and i thought it could have a niche with adaptability.

Berks

has a Calm Mind
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i wish i didn't know that. eevee is my favorite pokemon and i thought it could have a niche with adaptability.
you should try using Bunnelby, which also has 16 Speed and strong Normal-type attacks but gets double power on every physical move with Huge Power!

alternatively, Life Orb Meowth has really strong priority, a blazing fast 19 Speed tier, and a strong Double Edge.

both good Normal-types you can try that together are part of the unfortunate reason that Eevee isn't really viable in LCUU :(

stick around in LCUU!

Happy New Year everyone! and with the new year comes a new shift for us.

Gained:
:Spritzee::Archen:
Lost:
:Croagunk:

As far as the changes go, it's both fairly light and impactful at the same time.

The return of :Archen:Archen likely portends a shift back toward more fast offensive teams as the meta in recent months has notably shifted a bit slower and bulkier than we were dealing with previously.

:Croagunk:Gunker's unexpected rise (just barely over the usage cap) is an annoying turn of events, to say the least. Gunker was a very solid part of the recent meta and the amount of utility and offensive pressure it provided will be sorely missed. If you used Gunk in ou in the last month, you are scum.

Fortunately, it isn't all terrible as we did receive a welcome newcomer to uu in :Spritzee:Spritzee. Gen 8 has not been kind to LC's favorite bulky fairy and it has finally made the drop to uu where it should have a bit more room to make some noise in the meta. Spritz provides a more sturdy fairy type option than uu staple, Cottonee, while also packing a decent offensive punch to boot. I'm excited to see how she fairs in this new environment.

Hi everyone! With LLL2 coming to a close (Congrats Bronzors!) I'd love to share some of the teams that I used over the course of my season. This was my first time playing LCUU seriously and I was able to get a respectable 4-3 record which I am super happy with and wouldn't have been possible without my team.

I covered every single game that my team played on YouTube which you can find in this playlist so please feel free to check that out! I'll also be posting each individual video that will link to the game if there's a certain team that catches your eye!

Week 2 vs TypicalM (W)
:Salandit: :Pancham: :Sandshrew: :Croagunk: :Mantyke: :Goldeen:

For my first team, I wanted to use Mantyke. It seemed insanely powerful and I just love Swift Swim mons in general. Since I was new to LCUU I decided to load up standard mons that paired well with Mantyke to support it in a sweep. Panch, Goldeen, Shrew just gave good support to Mantyke while Salandit and Gunk could help open up teams that Tyke could later clean. More Details in the Vid!
Pretty straightforward, Tyke didn't really do much but the rest of the team functioned really well- exactly how I had envisioned. More Details in the Vid!

Week 3 vs. Foukrou (L)
:Sandile: :Croagunk: :Pancham: :Cottonee: :Elekid: :Corphish:

So this week I really wanted to use Corphish so we decided to pair that with physical Gunk with EQ to help lure in opposing gunks. In addition to that, we decided to pair this with Scarf Moxie Sandile which would appreciate VW Gunk lured by our own gunk. The rest of the team supports this well: Panch is Panch. Cotton is a nice Grass Type with good utility moves and Elekid hits a really nice speed tier and offers a strong special attacker that the team needed. More Details in the Video!
Yeah sooo this wasn't my best work. Leading Elekid into a Goldeen, Shrew, Pumpkin build just isn't ideal. Unnecessary risks were made throughout the entire game and it just was a tough showing on my part. I honestly think the team is decent it just wasn't able to show off here. I may try to revamp it in the future :D. More Details in the Video!

Week 4 vs. JuanSG (L)
:Pumpkaboo: :Pancham: :Sandshrew: :Growlithe: :Chinchou: :Stunky:

This week I wanted to build around Pumpkaboo-Small. Offensive Grass Coverage just seemed insanely strong especially paired with Poltergeist. Panch + Shrew is a core that I learned to love over the course of this tournament and I decided to use it yet again. Defensive Growlithe was a nice fire type option that Giove used a lot and I was inspired to use it in my games. Qwes helped me with finding the ideal spread to help switch into Pancham. Scarf Chou was used as a form of speed control, a volt/water immune (depending on preference), and being a component of a nice FWG core within the team. Stunky in the last slot rounds out the team both offensively and defensively while also giving us some much needed speed. Sucker was used as an option to help with the Diglett-Alola matchup. As usual more details can be found in the video!
Another rough game on my end. I should've prioritized getting up rocks because at that point there was a good chance that Pump could sweep after the flame charge. If Oddish went down it's fair to assume that Pumpkin pretty much won at that point, but my opponent just outplayed me on a couple key turns and I didn't play with a super clear gameplan in mind.

Week 5 vs. Grankie (W)
:Dewpider: :Pancham: :Sandshrew: :Oddish: :Goldeen: :Bunnelby:

Definitely needed a comeback this week and I decided to roll with the Spider. It seemed like a really good check to Diglett-Alola and Pancham while simultaneously hitting extremely hard. Decided to roll with Thief BJ Sandshrew as it looked pretty interesting. Oddish provided some more good defensive support to the team. Goldeen + Spider is a good offensive water core and Goldeen is able to net some good momentum for the other team members. Last mon I changed to Bunnelby right before the game because of how slow the team felt and I am so glad I did. This pokemon is a menace and I would recommend more people use it! Check the Video if you want a better explanation.
So I got SUPER lucky this game and I wont deny that. My team had a lot of trouble breaking past pumpkin for sure. Overall, I think I played this cleaner than the last 2 games. I had to keep Bunny at full to take Mach Punch from Magby which was a huge threat. The biggest misplay was letting Goldeen take a hit instead of Spider. Overall the team functioned well and the luck tipped in my favor and I was able to come out with a victory.

Week 7 vs. Specs (W)
:Pancham: :Stunky: :Spritzee: :Corphish: :Baltoy: :Meowth:

This was the first game I played with the Croagunk Rise and Archen and Spritz drop. I knew I wanted to use Corphish as one of it's biggest checks was out of the picture now. In addition to that, Panch paired well as it destroyed the other Storm Drain mon and could runk Gunk Shot for Spritzee. I decided to run offensive Stunky for opposing Spritz as well as having a good priority option. I threw on my own Spritz and Meowth and had Baltoy to round out the team. I really liked Baltoy as a concept so I decided to bring it this week. Levitate is a great ability and it's a semi-reliable spinner :D
As I had anticipated, Corphish was insanely strong. It had a great MU and I played to winning the game with it. Baltoy also put in a ton of work so I'm very happy that the two mons I had been wanting to use the most put in a ton of work. Fortunately I dodged a couple confusions and was able to come out with the victory.

Semifinals vs. Kipkluif (W)
:Shellos: :Growlithe: :Oddish: :Pancham: :Spritzee: :Diglett-Alola:

With Semi's I decided to defer building to Elfuseon this week and we decided to load up a Shellos. This is a relatively standard team but with Mirror Coat Shellos to help against strong special attackers that we were expecting. (It was actually a last minute switch to go Mirror Coat > Stockpile). Diglett-Alola offers a strong cleaner late game and SD Pancham serves as a very powerful win condition. Oddish/Growlithe/Shellos/Spritz are a solid defensive backbone that allow you to outlast most threats.
This game went extremely smoothly. Shellos, as we had anticipated, was a huge threat. It was very difficult for my opponent to break through it. By the time that he did, SD Panch was in a good spot to clean up the battered members of the team. Mirror Coat was such a clutch move to remove Elgyem in one turn considering how difficult it was for my team to switch into it.

Finals vs. Risi (L)
:Hippopotas: :Sandshrew: :Dewpider: :Lileep: :Salandit: :Pancham:

As identified by Zero, Jolt, Elfu and pretty much everyone else, Sand seemed pretty solid here + I had never used Sand in the tournament before. Hippo + Lileep + Shrew was the sand core we decided to roll with. Panch seemed like a natural fit to help break apart teams for Shrew to clean up. Spider and Fire Type were natural fits because of the resistances they offered and their ability to punish opposing ground and grass types respectively. Although this team lost, I think this was the most solid team I brought the entire tournament and I would definitely recommend others to give it a try :D
Pretty well played game on both ends. Unfortunately Trick Room into Sand was kind of rough and Risi's Lileep was just too much for me to handle especially with a nicely timed Rock Blast on the switch. I made a couple misplays, the biggest one was not WW on TR late in the game. If it wasn't for that, I think there was a chance that I could've won the game, but oh well :D

So that's the conclusion on my LLL2 Season. I hope you enjoyed. Sorry if these explanations were too short, but I really think of them as a summary of what I said in my videos- which were WAY more in depth (and enjoyable imo ;D) Shoutout to everyone on the Budew Brawlers, had a ton of fun with y'all and we'll get that trophy next year!

Below are a couple of VR Nominations I'd like to make. I'll keep it short as this post is long enough on it's own.
:Corphish: --> A
Without Gunk in the tier, this thing is nuts. Strong Priority, the ability to set up DD and of course Knock Off to round it all out makes this thing an absolute menace to face in game.
:Oddish: --> A
I think this mon was more popular in the earlier part of the tour, but I still think it's quite good. It avoids 2HKO's from so many mons and has so much utility in Sleep Powder and Strength Sap.
:Mantyke: --> A- or Higher
This was definitely a tour where Mantyke showed off how powerful it can be. In one turn this thing becomes insanely powerful and fast and if played right, 4 turns is all you need to end a game after a little bit of chip.
:Cottonee: --> B+ or Lower
As a grass type, I just find this pokemon to be outperformed by Oddish. It's just too passive and while Knock is definitely useful, I find that it just gives too many free turns to too many pokemon in the tier and that really makes me skeptical towards using it.
:Helioptile: --> B-
A pokemon I tried building with a couple times but it just was so much worse than Joltik and Elekid. Hopefully it can find a home in LCRU

VR Update to pair with the kickoff of LC UU Cup IV
:Dewpider: A- to A
:Oddish: A- to A
:Bunnelby: A- to A
:Corphish: A- to A
:Shellos: B+ to A-
:Salandit: B+ to A-
:Elekid: B+ to A-
:Amaura: B+ to A-
:Mantyke: B- to B+
:Minccino: B to B+
:Axew: B- to B
:Sinistea: C+ to B
:Kabuto: C+ to B-
:Smoochum: C+ to B-
:Zorua: C+ to B-
:Cufant: C+ to B-
:Tentacool: C+ to B-
:Elgyem: C to C+
:Riolu: C to C+
:Torchic: C to C+
:Wimpod: C to C+
:Charmander: UR to C
:Litten: UR to C
:Cubchoo: UR to C

:Joltik: A+ to A
:Cottonee: A- to B+
:Hippopotas: A- to B+
:Pumpkaboo:(Small) B+ to B
:Helioptile: B to B-
:Omanyte: B to B-
:Tirtouga: B- to C+
:Trubbish: B- to C+
:Sandile: B- to C+
:Lickitung: C+ to C
:Budew: C+ to C
:Wynaut: B- to C
:Karrablast: C+ to C
:Stufful: C+ to C
:Bulbasaur: C+ to C
:Rowlet: C to UR
:Slowpoke-Galar: C to UR
:Bronzor: C to UR
:Honedge: C to UR
:Psyduck: C to UR
:Shelmet: C to UR
:Binacle: C to UR

:Archen: New to A
:Spritzee: New to A

If you've got issues with anything, I encourage you to write a strongly worded critique of the council's infinite wisdom in making these VR changes.

Last edited:
Shifts time bay-bee!

Lost: :magby:

Farewell Magby, you will be missed.

Gained: :croagunk::vulpix:

First, thank you to the ladderers that finally got some sense and stopped using the gunker. Croagunk is back home and will be welcomed with open arms. In other news, the weather wars are truly upon us. Vulpix will certainly add a new wrinkle to the lc uu landscape and I'm quite excited to see how the meta shapes around it. Have fun folks!

Bella

Not a furry
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Shifts time bay-bee!

Lost: :magby:

Farewell Magby, you will be missed.

Gained: :croagunk::vulpix:

First, thank you to the ladderers that finally got some sense and stopped using the gunker. Croagunk is back home and will be welcomed with open arms. In other news, the weather wars are truly upon us. Vulpix will certainly add a new wrinkle to the lc uu landscape and I'm quite excited to see how the meta shapes around it. Have fun folks!
charmander and helioptile will have fun now kinda domination

pinorska

Banned deucer.
Hey Joltage , I was wondering if you'd take new sample submissions now that larvesta is out of the tier. It can discourage people from playing in the LC UU room tours if there aren't current samples/a variety of them. I'd be happy to help make some teams and I'm sure some of the team's used in Levi's Premier League (where I noticed vulpix was really popular) would be great to add.

Hey Joltage , I was wondering if you'd take new sample submissions now that larvesta is out of the tier. It can discourage people from playing in the LC UU room tours if there aren't current samples/a variety of them. I'd be happy to help make some teams and I'm sure some of the team's used in Levi's Premier League (where I noticed vulpix was really popular) would be great to add.
Yeah, I unfortunately don't have control over the bot on showdown unfortunately to update those, though I do share those frustrations. The samples in this thread are more up to date, but also could stand for a bit of an update as well. I will try to get the room samples sorted though. I appreciate you reaching out about it

Hi LCUU people! It's been a long time since the last suspect but after 6 weeks of LPL regular season, it appears a good chunk of the playerbase found Archen too hard to deal with. The combination of strong STAB moves, good coverage, good speed tier has very little counterplay when it comes to safe switch ins, limiting the options to deal with it to bulky mons that can get overwhelmed, or just revenge killers like Diglett-Alola and Corphish (among others).
The rules to participate in the suspect are the following: top 8 from the most recent LCUU Cup, and people who played 2 or more games of LCUU in LPL (regardless of record) will be able to vote.
Moreover, there will be 3 suspect tours in the LC showdown room, where anyone can get a shot at qualifying to vote and decide whether this scary ancient bird will remain in the tier or not.

List of people who already qualify:

Dates and times of suspect tours:
Thursday May 5th, 10pm GMT+1
Friday May 6th, 10pm GMT+1
Saturday May 7th, 10pm GMT+1

Archen is banned from LCUU!

ArchenSuspect.png

(Jnho does not have a Smogon account)

Its very strong traits convinced more than 60% of voters that it was too overwhelming for the tier, despite its ability and lack of bulk holding it back, therefore resulting in a ban. Starting from next week, Archen will be illegal to bring in a LCUU match.
Thanks to everyone who voted!

Okay y'all, it's VR update time!

With LPL winding down and a few meta shifts happening since our last update, we figured now was as good a time as any to shake up the VR.

As a reminder of our VR update process, the council members each create an individual VR ranking and the scores are averaged together to form our official VR. Any complaints on placement can and should be argued here or in the lc uu discord. Now without any further ado, here are the changes.

Rises:
:Croagunk:Croagunk New to A | Croagunk returns to us and is as solid as ever with it's ability to check many potent threats such as the water sweepers while maintaining a very threatening offensive presence in its own right
:Elekid:Elekid A- to A
:Pumpkaboo:Pumpkaboo-Super B+ to A | With Diglett-Alola being the Boogeymon of the moment, Pump-Super's ability to reliably switch into it, propels the spooky pumpkin up the VR
:Shellos:Shellos A- to A
:Mantyke:Mantyke B+ to A- | Mantyke finds itself in a very favorable position in the meta, water flying stab coverage hits practically everything in the tier and the rain set in particular is a massive threat to a wide slew of common constructions.
:Growlithe:Growlithe B to B+
:Vulpix:Vulpix New to B+ | Vulpix has proved somewhat underwhelming to be honest, but it is still a potent threat with the power that sun boosted fire moves can unleash
:Buneary:Buneary C+ to B | Buneary was a recent discovery as a potent wallbreaker (more to come regarding this in my lpl team dump)
:Omanyte:Omanyte B- to B
:Tirtouga:Tirtouga C+ to B | Tirtouga had a bit of a moment during the recent uu cup, where it proved to be a very strong sweeping presence, now that Croagunk has returned however, it is not quite as high as it could have been
:Mime-jr:Mime jr. C+ to B-
:Skrelp:Skrelp C+ to B-
:Squirtle:Squirtle C+ to B-
:Torchic:Torchic C+ to B-
:Charmander:Charmander C to C+ | Vulpix being around actually makes Charmander able to function as a sun sweeper
:Lickitung:Lickitung C to C+
:Wynaut:Wynaut C to C+
:Fomantis:Fomantis UR to C
:Morelull:Morelull UR to C
:Rowlet:Rowlet UR to C
:Shelmet:Shelmet UR to C

Drops:
:Bunnelby:Bunnelby A to A-
:Corphish:Corphish A to A-
:Joltik:Joltik A to A-
:Lileep:Lileep A to A-
:Oddish:Oddish A to A-
:Spritzee:Spritzee A to A-
:Stunky:Stunky A to B+ | There has been a major uptick in sand usage lately and people have started to sour on Stunky as a result. It's still a very solid bring, but now has much more difficulty finding a positive matchup than previous metas
:Meowth:Meowth A- to B+
:Drilbur:Drilbur B+ to B
:Minccino:Minccino B+ to B
:Pumpkaboo:Pumpkaboo-Small B+ to B
:Snover:Snover B+ to B | The introduction of Vulpix and Snover's complete inability to meaningfully hurt it unfortunately make Snover the clear second choice for a hail setter these days
:Axew:Axew B to C+ | Axew at this point is a forgotten mon that finds itself rarely considered and hard to justify in most teams
:Smoochum:Smoochum B- to C+
:Cufant:Cufant B- to C
:Purrloin:Purrloin C+ to C
:Riolu:Riolu C+ to C
:Trubbish:Trubbish C+ to C
:Stufful:Stufful C to UR

On a separate note: council members Pamplona, yellowfin, and Hys are transitioning to council emeritus status and will no longer be considered as active council. I'd like to thank them for their contributions to lc uu and hope to see them involved again in the future.

I'm also likely about to take the next post to recap my personal LPL season and dump the teams I used, so stay tuned for that!

Last edited:
As mentioned in my last post, here's my post-LPL season dump. I ended up underperforming what I would've liked, but I think that was more due to play than it was to the quality of builds or my read on the meta itself. Importables in the sprites​

Week 1 vs Albi | Dewp Sand
:Dewpider::Salandit::Lileep::Sandshrew::Hippopotas::Mime-jr:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lcuu-1539235165
So headed into week 1 against Albi who had recently beaten me the then-ongoing LC UU Cup twice, I wanted to switch things up a bit. I hadn't run sand really at all since Larvesta had left the tier and I hadn't used it regularly since the Frillish/Natu days, so I figured now was as good a time as any. Dewpider Sand teams are a bit of a sub-archetype in themselves for sand squads these days and this one follows a similar pattern to most any of them. Dewp is fast, bc fast is the best Dewp with a little bit of a tech option in Mirror Coat over something like Bug Buzz. Mirror Coat is particularly good in the mirror matchup and in my game against Albi it allowed be to pick up a T1 kill on his Goldeen as his Joltik Volt Switched out. Sleep Talk Salandit is one of my favorites to throw on sand as a true Oddish counter which is a highly necessary role for the archetype. The sand core of Hippo-Shrew-Leep is pretty standard stuff. I'm a big fan of Smooth Rock over Eviolite on Hippo as the extra sand turns make life much much easier for Sandshrew. This is a particularly offensive Hippo as well, forgoing recovery for Crunch for any potential Pumpkaboo. Sludge Bomb on Leep is also a bit of tech, this time for Cottonee, who despite falling a bit out of flavor is always a pain in the ass for sand if you're not prepared for it. Lastly, because I like stacking fight resists when possible, we've got Mime jr. Mime also further helps the matchup against Oddish incase something happens to Salandit and is generally something I like to throw on sand teams in particular.

Week 2 vs TKK | Scarf Archen
:Archen::Skrelp::Elekid::Lileep::Sandshrew::Pancham:
*note: this team is no longer legal
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lc-1545351138-32iykleowfy16ljcuwep4js5jjzwar4pw
Week 2 against soon-to-be LC UU Cup Champion TKK was a match I was massively looking forward to. I had been working with TKK for his cup run, so I had a good idea of the type of stuff he tended to like to build. Particularly I knew he was a big Diglett-Alola fan, so I really leaned hard into trying to exploit that. Scarf Archen is not a set I used much of and I thought it would be able to catch him off guard thinking he had a free Iron Head with his Diglett only to be EQ'd into oblivion. Of course, TKK didn't even bring Dig, but that's fine Scarfchen was still a neat mon for this game. Skrelp is another niche mon I was a fan of while Croagunk was on sabbatical from the tier bulky as sin and could dish out tons of damage with its STABs, it didn't get to do much in the game itself, but is a cool mon nonetheless. Elekid was my other Diglett abusing mon, with a set specifically designed to be able to take out any Diglett it could hit, even evio, which TKK liked to run from time to time. Elekid really feasts on certain builds where Dig is the sole electric immune, and I was hoping to run into a matchup like that in this one. Leep and Shrew are pretty standard this time with Shrew opting for Rock Tomb as a 4th move rather than something like SD or PJab. Lastly we've got big Panda, the king of UU running the unwallable 4 attack set, my one regret with this team though is not making this Panda faster. Doing so would've made my game vs TKK much easier and maybe I wouldn't have needed to get lucky with a crit Cross Chop from my Elekid to win it, but hindsight 20/20.

Week 3 (played LC RU) but, built for KSG vs Jox | Zorua Spikes
:Omanyte::Zorua::Pancham::Baltoy::Pumpkaboo::Chinchou:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lcuu-1550542219
Week 3 was our first look at the new Q2 meta with the return of Croagunk, the departure of Magby, and the introduction of Vulpix. So naturally, we used nothing that wasn't already legal before. We went through a couple of different ideas heading into this game before sort of randomly landing on Zorua + Spikes day of. Lead Spikes Oma is probably the best spiker we have as it also has Rocks usefully, opted for Earth Power over Knock Off or Ice Beam in case we ran into a Gunk that saw we were Spikes and tried to set up on us, also it hits Vulpix in Sun better than Hydro can. Life Orb mixed Zorua was the next option and the ostensible star of the show. Moveset is probably optimal considering Spritzee and Cottonee exist, otherwise, it's probably U-Turn over Sludge Bomb. Parting Shot Panda was chosen with the idea of forming a mini Volt-Turn core with Chou and maybe getting Zorua in the game a bit more often. This team is also the first evidence of my weird obession with Baltoy, who you will be seeing much more of in the future. On this team, and most others it exists to check boxes. Electric immune, Dig Check, Gunk Check, Spin. Useful mon. Next up we have a bit of a throwback to a way earlier meta with Flame Charge Pumpkaboo-Small, no longer Life Orb, but just as threatening. Flame Charge allows it to beat would be check Archen and outspeed the entire unboosted meta, while boasting solid if not perfect coverage via its STABs and Rock Slide (Polt hits very hard), while Evio means it can still reliably check dangerous Ground-types such as Diglett-Alola and Sandshrew. Rounding out the team we've got scarf Chinchou serving functions as secondary Elec immune and back up Water check as well as general speed control.

Week 4 vs Kip | Weather Ball Amaura Sun
:Vulpix::Amaura::Baltoy::Dewpider::Pumpkaboo::Croagunk:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lcuu-1555520223-xh43q75s5d2uuvogmv9bk0rpwkhegt5pw
Okay, so this was by far the worst team I brought this season. In my defense, my team had already won the week and Weather Ball Amaura in Sun sounded really cool, but truthfully, I got lost in the sauce with this one. Sub Toxic Pix is probably not the greatest set, but I figured it could maybe be useful against the fatter cores that were starting to gain popularity, with mons like Shellos, Lileep, and Hippo seeing increased usage. Scarf Amaura is Refrigerate so as to actually have access to the Sun-boosted Weather Ball. Ideally, Amaura would love to be able to switch up moves, but its low speed and general frailty make scarf basically its only option. The rest of the team is the box checking Baltoy, this time with Rocks instead of Ice Beam to free up the slot on Amaura for Weather Ball. Dewpider to provide yet more offensive presence while serving as another fight check. A more defensive Pumpkaboo-Super to really sure up the teams Diglett and sand matchup. And Croagunk pulls up the rear trying desperately to hold this dumpster fire of a team together with its mixed set. This team is bad, and I fully deserved the ass-kicking Kip handed to me.

Week 5 vs JuanSG | Tea Time in the Desert
:Hippopotas::Sandshrew::Lileep::Sinistea::Mantyke::Salandit:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lcuu-1560433743
So this was what I was originally planning to use vs Kip the week prior but decided against with the game no longer mattering. It's sand once again but this time with a new flavor mon in Sinistea. The Sand core itself is a little different to my last one as well in terms of sets, with Evio Hippo being chosen over Smooth Rock to give a better Archen and Diglett-A matchup, and in keeping with a setup spam theme, the Lileep is Curse. Curse Leep clawed back a victory in a BabyBoyBlues game earlier in the season and that inspired me to give it a shot here. Teacup is a pretty standard set for it, and a pretty underrated threat in the LC UU landscape. If it can find a matchup where it's not against a Stunky, which was on the decline with the rise of sand in the meta, then it has the ability to just win any game its in with careful play (and usually an opponent mistake). Mantyke gives me another sweeping threat while soft-checking both fighting types and fire types. You may notice toxic on Tyke's moveset instead of an ice move and I like that as an option to help break through bulky mons such as Shellos and opposing Lileep. Salandit rounds out the team playing the exact same roll as on the Dewpider sand. The game itself went interestingly, but I ultimately didn't put myself in a position to win and dropped my second straight.

Week 6 vs BabyBoyBlues | 777
:Joltik::Tirtouga::Baltoy::Cottonee::Stunky::Pancham:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lcuu-1564121515
This build was somewhat of a throwback to a style of build I would use a lot of in a previous meta. Bringing back mons like Cottonee, Tirtouga, and Stunky who had generally waned in popularity as the Q2 meta shaped out. There's not really a super defined theme or concept to this team, it's just a solid and fairly synergystic set of mons. Joltik is my actual favorite pokemon despite my low personal usage of it, and it's here running it's classic pivot set, nothing too notable or fancy here. I like 15 speed tik as it's just that little bit bulkier and getting the slower pivot move off is pretty nice in a lot of situations. Tirtouga somewhat plays decoy on this build as a possible sweeper from preview, but is just rocks, 3 attacks, it's bulky and gets the job done. Baltoy does Baltoy things, this time with toxic to again potentially wear down bulky threats on the opposing team. Cott is as classic a Cott set as you could ask for. And the build is rounded out with Nasty Plot Stunky and 4 Attacks Panda. In the game itself, I mega threw by miscalcing an exchange with my Stunky and eventually lost to a Cosmic Power Elgyem, which frankly should never be able to happen with a team like mine. I was really mad at myself after this one.

Week 7 vs QuinnXD | Weird Semi-Rain
:Chinchou::Mantyke::Snover::Baltoy::Croagunk::Buneary:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lcuu-1570511297-shbeb0n4wy0z7noifs4dkyhl4nicaufpw
Now those of you that may be more familiar with old gens LC may look at this team and think "Why does this look like a shitty bootleg DPP squad?" and to that I would answer, because it kinda started as a DPP homage. The first two mons on the team are DPP staples in Agility Chinchou and RainTyke. Snover continues the DPP staple trend, but is very much not running its classic sets from that meta. This is my patented Soundproof Weather Ball Snover, the ultimate Joltik check that has never once run into a Joltik when I've tried to run it. A fact that really makes no sense when you take note of my continued dependency on Baltoy doing its normal thing once again. Gunk is running its mixed set to provide some very appreciated Knock Off support to the team. And the last member of the team is the most surprising in Buneary, a mon rarely even considered much less actually brought, but Buneary was really impressive to me in tests so I felt pretty good about it in the end. Unfortunately for me, I ran into Trick Room, which was a terrible matchup to begin with and then Buneary was blind and didn't get to show off what it was capable of. I did make a post in the LC UU discord about Buneary extolling its virtues after the match though and I'd like to share them here as well
"it was blind, so i didn't get to show it in my game, but i think buneary is pretty decent
https://pokepast.es/0f76ae1d837e64ed this was the set i used, and i encourage people to give it a try sometime.

super effective axel does 23 damage to 16 def evio targets (leep, pump, oddish, shrew), and fake out into kick (if you hit it) does 21 damage to 14 def evio mons unless you get unlucky with a low roll.

you speed tie with dig-a which can be nice (compared to mincinno for instance) and 18 speeders like landit and bj stunky straight drop to mega kick

you need some pretty notable chip to drop to gunk vwave (who dies to fake + kick) ditto corp ajet (most of the time (corp dropping, not you living))

against fat, i already mentioned the grasses, but shellos and fat spritz are 2hko'd by kick after rocks. bj spritz drops to fake + kick

this has been my buneary propaganda post. thank you for reading"

Semi-Finals vs Albi | Zorua Pt. II: Try not to use Baltoy Challenge
:Zorua::Pancham::Pumpkaboo::Spritzee::Tirtouga::Sandshrew:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lcuu-1574776186
Luckily, despite me dropping the ball in 4 straight weeks my team was able to make the playoffs and I was able to try to break my poor run of form. Again, I'm not really sure how or why but I landed on a Zorua squad once again. Knowing Albi and our past meetings, I was kind of expecting to see a possible Golett and wanted something that didn't just fold to a Poltergeist or could kill it relatively easily and Zorua fit that bill pretty alright. I was also considering running a Smoochum squad instead this week, but couldn't get one I liked well enough, but that's a different story. Same Zorua set as last time, but this time without Spike support. The Panda on this is faster and bulkier than I normally run it hitting 15 in both speed and defense, honestly just to try new things, but is otherwise a standard 4 Attacks Panda. The Pumpkaboo in this team was originally an Oddish, but because I felt a bit too Diglett weak in that iteration and didn't want to crutch on Baltoy again, I decided to crutch on Pumpkaboo instead, which is generally a much better mon tbf. This Pump is a bit of a hybrid between the fast offensive set and the classic defensive Pumpkaboo, and serves as an important check to both Diglett-A and Croagunk. Sprtizee was a mon I had yet to use the entire LPL season, and thought that would serve me well in finding a positive matchup. This somewhat experimental CM 3 Attacks set honestly should have been able to win the game, but like pretty much everything else in this particular game, it got pretty unlucky and died before it could fully get going. Tirtouga is the same set as its previous appearance, though is a bit more obviously not smash in this construction. Rounding out the team is Sandshrew, providing the, imo required, electric immunity for the team and importantly not being a Baltoy. The game this time vs Albi was terrible in terms of RNG for both sides and ended on a bit of a sour note, but I did break my losing streak so I guess I'll take it.

Alright nerds, that's what I used and was thinking about playing LC UU this LPL season. Feel free to jack teams if you'd like, just don't lose with them, it hurts my pride lol.​

Last edited:
In accordance with the recent policy decision of Smogon's Tiering Policy Council, I would like to confirm that LC UU will also be following this decision.

What this means is that every mon that currently resides in SS LC UU will remain LC UU for the rest of the generation and beyond (if we ever play SS LC UU as an oldgen down the line) unless we take action against it via a suspect test, no matter how much usage it sees on the LC ladder. For the July (Q3) and October (Q4) tier shifts, we will still be able to receive new additions to the tier via those who drop below the usage threshold, but we will not lose anything that we currently have access to.

The LC UU council believes this to only be a beneficial change to the system and we hope the player base feels similarly. Enjoy the final stretch of the generation for LC UU!

risi

miao
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hi guys, back after a year of not posting here! here are my teams from lpl season 8, hope you enjoy. this was a pretty disappointing season for me after the last one, a combination of bad plays and failed matchup fishes. :psycry: Also my very first season managing with Peachy07, and I'm glad to say at least our team is doing way better than me! (we're in finals, currently doing a tiebreak.) moral of the story i guess, when you suck and are bad, draft goated teammates to carry you to finals :woo:

1654044300555.png bonus one that doesn't get owned by croagunk: https://pokepast.es/acdfde6e7614f01f
for this team, i had this idea of using np tr spritzee cored with wynaut, the point of wynaut being to trap and eliminate things like diglett-alola, oddish, and growlithe to make it much easier for spritzee to sweep later. I think spritzee is an absolute menace when diglett alola isn’t around, because it’s much easier to find chances to get the 2 turns of set up spritzee needs to sweep once diglett-alola is gone. While diglett is still in the game, spritzee will only be able to set trick room, or np up, because diglett can pretty freely switch in on a spritzee and threaten an ohko. The only other mon that is able to do this is sandshrew-alola, which is much more rare than diglett.
Poison types are not adequate spritzee checks, croagunk and salandit can’t exactly switch in due to fear of getting psychic’d, and once tr is up, they cannot revenge either. Oddish does a decent job, but it is 2hko’d by psychic and can be outsped by spritzee. Psychic at +2 is a 50% chance to ohko an oddish from full, and so a spritzee that is 11 speed can simply np up when the opponent switches into their oddish, and nuke it with psychic on the next turn, instead of having to set trick room too. The poison type that is most reliable at checking spritzee is stunky, which has been on a downward trend recently. Stunky also cannot ohko a bj spritzee from full, it needs at least 4 hp of chip, and it is ohko’d by a +2 moonblast. So, if a spritzee gets a free np when the opponent switches straight into stunky, stunky isn’t going to be able to take it out with sludge bomb, bj is going to pop bringing spritzee back up to full, and spritzee will be able to get off a tr, then outspeeding and ohkoing stunky the next turn. Growlithe can do a decent job of handling spritzee if played carefully, but the downside with growlithe is that you’ll need to hit a spritzee that still has its juice intact 3 times with flare blitz to take it out.

Spritzee aside, i wanted to use lileep because lileep really needs to be paired with a good pancham check, and spritzee is probably the best one as long as pancham isn’t gunk shot. Diglett seemed mandatory with wynaut, because wynaut gives spritzee the freest set up opportunities ever. Wynaut has no attacking moves, and because of aroma veil, you can’t encore the spritzee into np or trick room. Corphish was supposed to act as an offensive ground check, and Salandit to deal with croagunk because the team is insanely croagunk weak.

as soon as I saw the matchup, I was like okay, this is not good, there is a Croagunk which I was really hoping to not run into, an Elekid that I was also hoping not to run into since my ground type is Diglett, which gets nuked by cross chop, my Salandit is going to have a rough time unless i can somehow remove Mantyke. Basically, my only hopes are that either Albi chokes and throws his Croagunk, or pulling off a Spritzee sweep. I lead Lileep, guessing correctly that he is going to lead Bunnelby, but I misjudge the Bunnelby set, thinking it’s scarf when it is in fact eviolite spikes. Eviolite Bunnelby put in a ton of work against my team, because of the surprise factor and my team being unable to really ohko it, due to having no fighting types. I end up trading Bunnelby for my Salandit, which in hindsight, bad idea because that was my only Croagunk check, because I misjudge how bulky eviolite Bunnelby is. I’m pretty desperate to get Spritzee in to deal damage, because the rest of my team really can’t, but because of this, Spritzee’s juice gets popped and without bj, it’s not able to set up completely. The game is pretty much over at that point, Albi still has both his croagunk and elekid alive, my corphish is still useless, wynaut’s purpose has been somewhat lost since there’s no need to trap diglett anymore because spritzee is dead, lileep is poisoned so ancient power boosts will no longer save me, and my diglett is also still useless because his pumpkaboo is at full. The game is over at this point, but it goes on a bit longer because albi made a couple of questionable plays, and I end up having a tiny chance to win, if I get an Iron Head flinch off on Albi’s pumpkaboo, and win 2 50/50s in a row, but it doesn’t happen. GG Albi, I’m plotting revenge next time :blobangery:

1654044372507.png
W8 rematch vs bbb: i ran out of time to build this week, so this ended up being a pretty basic generic team, with the only interesting mon being the Sinistea. I wanted to use Sinistea because bbb has said before that he thinks Stunky sucks (tbh he’s probably right on that one) and because bbb typically doesn’t run sucker punch on his alolan-digletts. Shellos was brought because I hadn’t used Shellos the entire tour and figured he might not be prepped for it, and because Mirror Coat is a nice way to lure annoying special attackers and remove them, so that when Sinistea sets up later, hopefully everything is physical and it’ll guaranteed get the Weak Armor speed boost. Standard Pancham and Pumpkaboo as glue mons, bulkier Joltik with Thief because I was worried I didn’t have enough knockers, and Diglett because I’m always paranoid of Spritzee.
On lead matchup, I thought it was about even, since we brought 4/6 same mons lol. I got caught by surprise with the hazards Omanyte, and didn’t have hazard removal, so spikes and rocks did put in a lot of work against my team. There was one questionable turn where I Iron Headed bbb’s pancham with diglett, thinking that he would go Pumpkaboo or Mantyke, but he didn’t and I just lost the diglett for no good reason. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get Sinistea to set up, and didn’t preserve my Mantyke checks well, so ended up getting swept by Mantyke. Good game by bbb, I think the game could’ve gone differently had I not choked the diglett, but oh well.

1654044463739.png
Nothing super special about this team, this was the origin of the wynaut diglett trap idea. Originally I wanted to trap diglett for a minccino sweep, but minccino was pretty disappointing in tests, so I swapped it out for diglett. The other reason why I opted for diglett was because of aforementioned spritzee issues when running wynaut (it's the best setup fodder for spritzee.) Even though I have an Oddish on the team, as I mentioned before it is possible for a spritzee to smash right through that if it’s speed invested, so I like it as extra insurance. Archen is on the team because I wanted to get to use it a little before it got banned, and because it benefits from diglett being gone as well. Most teams don’t have multiple 17+ speed mons, or if they do have more than one, the other one ends up being something like stunky or salandit that doesn’t particularly deal with archen well, anyways. So, removing diglett means Archen will outspeed or at least speed tie everything else on the opponent’s team, which is really nice for a mon that 2hkos the entire meta. Pancham is Swords Dance just because I wanted to experiment with fast cham, and goldeen as a filler + Elekid check.

1654044505957.png
hail!!! I really like hail as an archetype, because of how limited the hail checks are. Its just Pancham, Croagunk, really fat waters like shellos, growlithe, and maybe Vulpix? I’m not an evio ashrew fan, because with scarf amaura, you have at best 4 turns of hail, realistically after doing some pivoting to get it in, probably closer to 2-3. Evio Ashrew damage output is decent, but for it to really do damage you need to swords dance, and I do not think it is worth it spending one of your 2-3 hail turns to swords dance up (and then tragically miss triple axel), so I prefer lo. Moving on, we have AlbiChic ™. When I first heard of the AlbiChic, I thought it was a joke and really bad, because stall in LC is unheard of, so stall in lcuu, one of the fastest paced metas? No way. AlbiChic is genius, because the fire resists we have are just water types and Salandit. AlbiChic does not work on Salandit, but it works great on any water type, because between subbing and tecting, you are able to rack up a lot poison damage. Simply poison the water type on the switch and mindlessly spam substitute and tect, if they switch out, then torchic just gets damage off on something that doesn’t resist fire type moves, which is also great. Because hail checks are generally bulky waters or fighting types, AlbiChic works great to put additional pressure on them. Because I had a torchic that gets hard walled by salandit, I wanted to have more than one salandit check, just in case. Mantyke not only is a good salandit check, its also pretty decent at handling ground types, and fighting types. Goldeen as the secondary just in case Mantyke wasn’t enough, and for knock off support + electric immune. Finally, Joltik is here to be another fight resist and make sure that I don’t get walled by a shellos.

1654044569047.png
Team is built around Elekid, because people are using in general less sandshrew and more diglett, which works out great for elekid. Croagunk is on the team to put some more pressure on Sandshrew even though I was pretty sure I wouldn’t run into one, but just in case. From there I decided to take a fatter teambuilding approach than normal, with pumpkaboo, dewpider, and growlithe as a defensive core. Sandshrew is the ground type of choice here over diglett, because I thought growlithe would be enough for spritzee, especially since nothing really gives spritzee super free set up, and because I wanted removal for Dewpider and Growlithe. This fatter build approach ended up costing me, because Albi brought an Archen, and my team had no good bird resists and only one way to revenge kill archen, the Elekid. The team hopefully works better now that archen is out of the picture, but no promises so don't hold me to that :p

1654044621276.png
My first attempt to use mantyke :3 Idea was waterspam with corphish, and diglett just because diglett also puts pressure on grass/water types, so together I’m hoping that they smash through whatever water resists there are for a mantyke/corp sweep. Oddish is the grass type I picked because I didn’t want something that might get their recovery screwed by weather (looking at pump) and something that would be able to handle other defensive grass types. Salandit as extra insurance vs grass types, because running 2 water types and 1 ground type with no grass resist sounds like a bad idea, and Pancham as normal fighting type filler mon.

1654044670566.png
I liked the idea of archen sand because I thought that a lot of the archen checks overlapped with sand checks, like shellos. Turns out its only shellos that is both an archen and a sand check, but I still went along with the idea because I thought the spdf boost archen receives in sand could be useful for living random things, like joltik volt switch. Croagunk is a must, because I really needed something to prevent a Corphish sweep, and hail sweep. Hail is still an upward battle of course, but it at least gives some counterplay. Dewpider is the glue mon, it checks opposing shrew and prevents me from getting steamrolled by opposing sand. I picked Dewpider over other water types because it is capable of 1v1ing grass types, I didn’t want to pick something like Corphish and have the whole team get 1v1’d by an oddish or something. Drilbur is a weird mon, its always a worse sandshrew and diglett, but I like it here as a secondary sand abuser because I don’t think this team is safe to run diglett-a, as much as I would like to. Because my only ground resist is dewpider with no recovery, I’m pretty worried about opposing sand, and Drilbur does a decent job at dealing with opposing sandshrews, as long as they don’t rapid spin.

1654044744812.png
I wanted to make a build around lo bunnelby + salandit. At the time, archen was one of the most annoying deterrents to bunnelby, because you have to run coverage specifically for it like iron head, and it also outspeeds and kos bunny. Salandit also struggles vs archen, but that makes it a good archen bait. It can knock archen’s bj off, potentially putting it into lo bunny quick attack range, or twave archen so that bunny can safely revenge it. I liked lo bunny because I thought the idea of just spamming strength and 2hkoing everything that’s not a ghost type was cool, but tbh scarf is probably just as good or even better. Goldeen + Joltik + Pancham for the volt turn + parting shot vortex core, and then Pumpkaboo as the last to tie it all together. (pump is the only grass type that checks diglett reliably, so yeah because i don’t have a great way to deal with diglett, it was a must.)

my favorite squads overall were probably w6 hail, w9 spritzee wynaut even though it got destroyed by croagunk, and w1 lo bunnelby.

Shoutouts to my LPL team, GO ESPURRS!!
espurrhead.png

Peachy07 the newly crowned ru queen, its been great managing with you and I don't think ive ever experienced such a great team environment in the past 4 lpls
Acehunter1 he's mine and don't you filthy managers ever think of taking him from me. do not even dare to try and outbid me because that's such a dick move >:((
TheKingKarp omg absolute goat!! ty for helping prep like all the sslc, uu, ru, bdsp slots, and for putting up with the constant pestering for tests :3
babyboyblues senpai notice me~:wo: but fr, ty for the tests and cheering me on.
wesh papillon for being annoying in the team chat <3
Elfuseon Grankie Pamplona Albi Surfy ACNT qweschuning zeroouttathere Pamplona the whole bronzor squad!
couldn't have done it without everyone's help, see you guys soon (maybe next year xd)

Last edited:
Hi friends! It's time for me too to share all the teams I used this season. I went 5-4, which is pretty good, if not for some choked games in the last turns but hey, it was good enough to get the team to win the tour (yay!) so I'll take it.
I've been playing the tier every week since the start of the lcuu cup in early Feb, so by the end I was kinda tired of it. However it seems fine to me, Archen leaving allows more freedom in building and for the moment Dig hasnt been too much a concern to me, but we'll see about it. The threats and archetypes are obviously a million, and getting a bad mu is not difficult, even with a solid team, but there is room to outplay most of them and overall I found it enjoyable.
Click on sprites for paste (sorry if most of these are illegal, I like spamming broken mons until they get banned)

Week 1 - Joltage (L)
:meowth: :joltik: :pancham: :archen: :goldeen: :pumpkaboo: (illegal)
Tried to catch jolt off guard with Meowth who was a bit under the radar (and still is) but can still get amazing matchups, then slapped a volturn core and called it a day.
As for the game, yea we don't talk about this lol. I get a godly matchup with the cat, who even has U-turn for Lileep, but for some reason i dont lead with it, i lose Goldeen to mirror coat, then i go Archen and decide to set the most useless rocks of all time as it's killed by dewp. Not even the cat could get me back from that. Definitely not a great start.

Week 2 - Jox (W)
:corphish: :stunky: :magby: :goldeen: :oddish: :archen: (illegal)
I decided to use Corphish who definitely appreciated Croagunk being gone for a while but again, a bit under the radar, suffering from 4mss with all the water resists and immunities around. Then a Stunky for the obvious Pumpkaboo to counter my Meowth/normals usage, a Magby which was never a wrong choice, and other good mons to complete the team. At this point I loved Archen cause it fit into offense very nicely as a rocker that also threatened to destroy teams.
My dig mu is insanely bad, especially when Oddish drops, but corp always gives me chances to reverse momentum and it was really helpful this game, also with the ability to come in on a predicted iron head. The endgame was a nailbiter, where i managed to go for the safer route with archen vs pump instead of risking the tie between dig and magby.

Week 3 - Tzon (W)
:hippopotas: :sandshrew: :lileep: :growlithe: :minccino: :dewpider:
This was the week when Vulpix was freed, so i was definitely expecting sun, and this is a clear counter team to pretty much any sun structure, while also being a decently solid sand team with Minccino as the flex slot, any fast mon works there but Minc is fun to use so i went with it. I ended up facing sun not only here, but also in LCUU Cup semis, and it worked wonders in both occasions. Flash fire Growlithe tho is prob suboptimal lol.
Not much to say about the game, even misplaying minc had no repercussions cause the mu was just that good.

Week 4 - BBB (W)
:diglett-alola: :archen: :pancham: :pumpkaboo: :goldeen: :dewpider: (illegal)
This was lcuu cup finals week, and i had to prep a lot for that. This was kind of the leftover team, the least inspired, just the two brokens slapped one onto the other and a solid core around them.
When i see a lickitung i already fear some wish protect unkillable monster so i try to toxic immediately, but it ends up being just kind of offensive? i guess mostly an opposing weather counter, with power whip that immediately kills my goldeen. Later SD panch shows why its still a super threatening set. In the endgame i think i got gifted a win with a (greedy?) spin in front of archen. He could prob not predict and try to go for the sand sweep later by sending hippo again, but it was still a close game.

Week 5 - risi (W)
:bunnelby: :archen: :chinchou: :salandit: :pumpkaboo: :corphish: (illegal)
Don't ask why CB bunny, i dont have the answer, i just know it works for some reason. I was starting to feel burnt out, built this mostly as a meme, then tested it and won every game, so by then i couldnt stop myself from bringing it. Chinchou is not super good but it does get a great matchup here, i was mostly expecting Mantyke who was very good vs me generally.
None of the mons here really do anything in the game, especially not bunny, it's archen who just carries the team to victory by itself as soon as the juice pops and the sack war between elekid and archen begins. The bird was suspected the very next week, after it won every game in the week, except for a mirror match lol.

Week 6 - JuanSG (L)
:meowth: :diglett-alola: :salandit: :goldeen: :mantyke: :pancham:
Saw zero ghosts in the scout, brought the cat again, only to see a Golett in front of me at preview. The rest of the team is fast and powerful breakers and sweepers and a Goldeen. At this point i started to really like tyke, because unlike Goldeen it's a water type with good defensive utility vs stuff like dig and salandit, you'll see me bringing it again later.
This game was defined by mostly one turn, and it's turn 2, where I miss toxic on his Shellos, and that was pretty much my only Shellos countermeasure (not a great plan, vs the biggest Shellos fan in the tier). My Mantyke doesn't have toxic so the game just plays out, I manage to force it to risk a sludge bomb poison chance but i dont get it, and Shellos just sits there all game. Admittedly tho, I had a way to win by going Diglett first instead of Meowth in the last turns, but unfortunately, after struggling so much to recover the game from the depth of despair, i dont see that and i just get walled to death, so it's not just the toxic miss that made me lose, but you know, it helped lol.

Weel 7 - Camden (L)
:torchic: :vulpix: :dewpider: :pumpkaboo: :sandshrew: :pancham:
I love this team, i actually reused from LCUU cup finals cause we were guaranteed in and i played soon in the week. Toxic torchic stalls out and chips (or straight up 1v1s) a water type or Lileep, so that scarf pix has an easier time sweeping late game.
Unfortunately Camden's team was already out, and like i said, we played early, so they just picked the definition of normal priority spam from the builder and got a crazy good matchup, not much i could have done aside from dodging take down (which i did lol) and pray for mistakes.
This is a better showing from the team in lcuu cup finals (altho unlucky af):
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lcuu-1555484200-k19n6h6y9kplr0dzlz8thmk19v2gkrepw

Semis - Joltage (L)
:amaura: :pancham: :mantyke: :goldeen: :pumpkaboo: :sandshrew:
Decided to bring my boi scarf Amaura cause i like to click buttons and i hadnt used it in a while, and at this point i was so burnt out and lazy that i straight up picked a team from last LPL (the one vs juan in the last team dump), replaced Corphish with a better defensive water type (Mantyke) and since it did pretty well I felt confident in bringing it.
This game was super wild, between double hydro misses, a cursed spritzee that got crit and spdef dropped to death, culminating in my great throw when i had the panch vs shrew 1v1, which is always a win for shrew, unless youre a dumbass and forget to spin. This makes it two games I just lost for not focusing enough literally in the last two turns, but like, i cant really complain about this one, it was clearly left to chance from the start anyway.

Finals - risi (W)
:bunnelby: :elekid: :croagunk: :diglett-alola: :mantyke: :pumpkaboo:
After a whole tour not bringing them, i finally remember gunk and kid are in the tier, and they look good vs risi's scout, so i bring them together, helped by twitt's bunnelby set thats just evio spikes u-turn, to abuse bulky slow mons that switch in to take the hits, just to set a spike and pivot right after. She also didnt bring hazard control that much so that looked good too. As for the rest, Mantyke and Pump cause theyre dig countermeasures, and good old busted dig who is always a threat. I gave up on rocks cause i have spikes anyway and i valued the 4 attacks more.
The prep really paid off and the game was pretty much flawless, until i got careless and didnt read the calc correctly. Basically, pumpkaboo almost always killed wynaut at 63%, but the calc showed 50-70% damage, with only the min roll being below 65%. I didnt read the rolls, just the percentages, so played super awkward around it, then tried to play around a possible sucker punch diglett (which it wasnt, but i couldnt know, so i just sacked elekid), and it ended up with an endgame full of 50/50s and hopes to not get flinched. Despite all this It's likely that i won the dig mirror endgame cause i had sucker punch and she didn't, but i still made it closer than it needed to be.

Bonus: Stall from LCUU Cup finals G2
:lickitung: :shellos: :hippopotas: :growlithe: :pancham: :oddish:
Trust me it's good, even w/o hazard control, watch the game to have an idea (and cry for how it was beaten)

And that's it! I'm super happy we managed to win the tour and i had a great time, but now i really hope to not touch this tier for a while, outside of friendlies or the occasional room tour. It was a wild ride between LCUU Cup and LPL, now time for the shoutouts.

Daruma (and doge when he showed up lol) thank you for believing in me this year too and drafting a goated and fun team that ended up winning the whole thing, now get ready for the back to back!
TWiTT and Joltage for joining in playoffs and helping me a lot in the final weeks where i was so tired i could have even reused. You kept me awake with new team ideas and fixes when it was really needed
The whole Bronzors gang: risi Peachy07 zeroouttathere Acehunter1 TheKingKarp (this time it was me who won the finals lol) and everyone, thanks for the help to me and the rest of the team all tour, and grats on the amazing run, yall are awesome :heart:

Hi all! i saw a lot of people sharing their lcuu teams from lpl so i thought i do the same :woop:.

Week 1 vs Bag of Trixx (W)
:Hippopotas: :Sandshrew: :Salandit: :Dewpider: :Diglett-Alola: :Pancham:
After going undrafted and getting slotted in a tier i didnt singup so i was not super motivated to play the 4 first weeks. There was no scout about me so i could bring whatever i wanted i saw TheKingKarp finals team from LLL2 on this forum and i really liked it. I decided to rework to my own preferences and use it. The game itself was pretty rough since i forgot to change my pancham to moldbreaker.
Week 2 vs Avarice (W)
:Pancham: :Dewpider: :Goldeen: :Sandshrew: :Spritzee: :Salandit:
This week i wanted i build around dewpider i think it was the best mons before croagunk dropped to lcuu i liked to pair it with goldeen so that it creates a water spam and goldeen having acces to knock can help me break trough teams. I was lucky with the matchup so it was a pretty easy game.
Week 4 vs Risii (W)
:Croagunk: :Omanyte: :Sandshrew: :Oddish: :Hippopotas: :Pancham:
I was super busy this week and a hour before the match i still had no team .-. so TWiTT build me a team last minute. The game itself was pretty bad from my part with a lot of rng from both sides in the end i choose to rely on 2 sleep turn what i luckily get and win the game.
Week 5 vs Jox (L)
:Diglett-Alola: :Pancham: :Elekid: :Dewpider: :Pumpkaboo: :Bunnelby:
With a 3-0 lcuu record i was aiming for best lcuu record from the season. I decided to use dewpider pancham again since I liked both a lot. Elekid + scarf bunnebly were good vs his scout sadly the team didn't work out. I dont remember this game good and since we both forgot to save the replay so I can't say much about the game itself.
Week 6 vs CamdenM (W)
:Croagunk: :Sandshrew: :Pancham: :Smoochum: :Mantyke: :Diglett-Alola:
My opponent used triple fight in both games he played this tournament so I decided to bring scarf smoochum. I used this weird croagunk set to beat opposing croagunk and life orb diglett alola. and i used my balloon diglett to stop archen. My prep worked and had a good matchup and just played it out.
Week 7 vs Joltage (W)
:Baltoy: :Machop: :Skrelp: :Spritzee: :Solosis: :Inkay:
I tested my teams almost every week vs joltage so i know he like to play offensive teams like me. I felt like trick room is the way i grabbed the trickroom sample and reworked it a little bit. I was lucky the buneary was blind and missed his mega kick and won again with a good matchup.

Was a fun season with scrubs S/O to TWiTT Joltage for giving feeback on my teams and help me with test games:quagchamppogsire:.

My english is not very good so maybe the text is not super usefull but atleast you can use the teams :tyke:

Elfuseon

is a Top Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
Hi all LCUU enjoyers!

1st of July comes in with another tier shift and here is a major one.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usage-based-tier-update-for-july-2022.3704172/post-9261598

1656714704733.png

Or to make it short : Munchlax and Ponyta-Galar are now allowed in the tier

Munchlax is well known in LCOU for its capacity to take on the special attackers and hits hard with its wide coverage. It can also use some bulkier curse recycle set to sweep in late game. Will we see Clear smog Shellos rising? More Taunt users? More Toxic running around? Munchlax is also a very good check to Vulpix that dropped the last tier shift as well as weather in general, thanks to its Thick Fat ability.

Ponyta-Galar is a more offensive addition to the LCUU metagame. Its access to Calm Mind, Morning sun and Mystical fire allows it to win 1v1 against most of the special attackers of the tier. Do be careful tho, because Pony-G also has acces to a good physical movepool like Play rough, Wild Charge and also Double kick for Munchlax that dropped with it. Last but not least, it gets 19 speed with the Jolly nature and speed tie with the biggest threat of the tier, Diglett-Alola. Maybe we will see more scarf U-turn/Knock off to lower it down? Also Cottonee can come on a Calm mind and Encore it.

These are just very few ideas to play around with the 2 newcomers. Samples will be updated soon and for now enjoy the new meta!

Hey so after like a month and a half with our current meta, we're finally getting around to our overdue VR update!

As a reminder to the way the LC UU VR is handled, the council (myself, zero, risi, albi, and elfuseon currently) each assign a rating (S-UR) on pretty much every conceivably viable mon available. Those ratings are then averaged together to comprise the final VR product that we see.

Now just because the council's opinions are the ones that shape the VR, does not mean that our opinions cannot be shaped an influenced by non-council members. As such, I encourage any of you that have opinions (especially regarding the likes of Munchlax:Munchlax: and Pony-G:Ponyta-Galar:) to post about them here in this thread or even in the LC UU Discord Server https://discord.gg/EWhPgTDb2f

Additionally, as a tool to help organize your thoughts on the VR and get a more visual representation of where mons stand in relation to each other, I have also created a visualizer including every mon on the voting slate. https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/swsh-lcuu-metagame-discussion-thread.3660866/

Anyway, the update should be officially rolled out by Sunday Aug. 21. Just in time for LPL9 where I hope to see some great UU competition in action!

Thanks for reading
- Joltage
:panda:

Anyway, the update should be officially rolled out by Sunday Aug. 21...
So that was always a mistake/typo that I hadn't realized I made until just now, but the new VR update is in fact live!

:Ponyta-Galar: New > S | Pastel Pony is a demon with its high speed, decent bulk and solid set variety. Pony-G has shown to be a defining mon of our current lc uu meta
:Stunky: B+ > A+ | When a powerful psychic type arrives in the meta, Stunky's star is certain to rise as it is and remains lc uu's premier dark type threat. With the introduction of Pony-G, the often overlooked physical set has found new life and has helped to catapult Stunky up the VR
:Lileep: A- > A
:Munchlax: New > A | Our other new addition to the meta has also proven itself to be a very credible threat in the meta with it's massive special bulk and threatening Curse set, Lax is a powerful mon in lc uu
:Oddish: A- > A | Tbh I don't get this one, but that's just the way our system works sometimes I suppose
:Buneary: B > A- | Buneary is a very potent example of our collection of frail normal types in lc uu. When Buneary is able to hit its moves it can just run over teams with its excellent speed tier and surprisingly strong offensive movepool
:Cottonee: B+ > A-
:Chinchou: B+ > A-
:Pumpkaboo:-Small B > B+
:Minccino: B > B+
:Snover: B > B+
:Zorua: B- > B+ | Another dark type that has benefited from the introduction of Pony-G. Zorua when played well can be a problem for an opponent as they are constantly put on their toes wondering if your mon is actually the mon they think it is
:Baltoy: B- > B
:Squirtle: B- > B
:Axew: C+ > B-
:Inkay: C+ > B- | Not only has the introduction of Pony-G made the lives of lc uu's dark types that much easier, Inkay has the additional advantage of being on of the best Trick Room mons in the tier and will absolutely run over an unprepared team.
:Smoochum: C+ > B-
:Budew: C > C+
:Cubone: C > C+
:Cufant: C > C+
:Litten: C > C+
:Purrloin: C > C+
:Riolu: C > C+
:Trubbish: C > C+
:Bronzor: UR > C
:Stufful: UR > C

:Dewpider: A > A-
:Pumpkaboo:-Super A > A-
:Shellos: A > A-
:Amaura: A- > B+
:Bunnelby: A- > B+
:Salandit: A- > B+
:Vulpix: B+ > B
:Sinistea: B > B-
:Tentacool: B- > C+
:Wimpod: C+ > C
:Bulbasaur: C > UR
:Cubchoo: C > UR
:Fomantis: C > UR
:Karrablast: C > UR

That's a ton of rises for us this time and relatively few drops. If you've got opinions, definitely feel free to voice them and I hope to see you all for lpl in the near future!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)