SwSh LC Team Bazaar

artwork courtesy of rambu

Welcome to the Sword & Shield LC Bazaar! This thread is for a more casual team-sharing environment than the RMT subforum. Here are the guidelines:

1. Make sure you've playtested your teams if you're sharing them and looking for advice.
2. Provide an importable for your team and a brief description.

That's it! Here's an example post:

1582705814025.png
1582705835747.png
1582705852995.png
1582705870397.png
1582705885547.png
1582705896622.png

Importable

This team revolves around water spam from the offensive core of SD Corphish and LO Krabby along with Cutiefly webs. Krabby is a four-attack variant to best punish common water checks like Oddish, Ferroseed, and Mareanie, most notable KOing Oddish on the switch with Knock Off into Body Slam. Cutiefly is a heavy duty boots variant with Roost as to repeatedly switch into Timburr and threat it out and prevent it from defogging, with its own defog as a last resort check to opposing webs. Onix is Weak Armor to check Vullaby and Rufflet with Body Press to pressure Ferroseed. Ferroseed and Mareanie form a defensive backbone, with Mareanie 15 speed timid to consistently pressure 14 speed mudbray and np vullaby, which the team can otherwise struggle with.

Last edited:
I promised to drop the anti-veils teams I've been laddering with if I got recs, so here it is:

1582879913479.png
1582879932553.png
1582879953914.png
1582879969024.png
1582879985260.png
1582879995800.png

https://pokepast.es/005e107cad7b7f93

This team is meant to pressure A-Vulpix and undo Veils aggressively. Timburr and Brick Break Pawniard are obvious musts, and Pawniard is Eviolite as to not lock into Scarf Brick Break and allow anything to set up. Since this team has no Steel, Evio Ponyta is a must for checking Cutiefly, and it also comfortably beats A-Pix itself. Mareanie is the dreaded 15 speed Timid variant that outspeeds NP Vullabies (always to the Vullaby player's chagrin); fast Mareanie is great in general for its ability to Iron Defense and Recover in the face of a lot of stuff. This team is also pretty terrible against Mudbray, so always outspeeding Adamant Mudbray is another plus. Cutiefly is the most dangerous mon in the tier right now, and this is an evio QD version that can switch into most Timburrs repeatedly and collect chip with Moonblasts, set up and sweep, or heal off damage with Roost on the switch to Ferroseed.

This team has some pretty nasty flaws - no ground immune or Corphish being the chief ones, because Drilbur and Mudbray are big red alert problems - but it plays against Veils well, and it might be of use to anybody laddering right now.

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
Here's the Double Krab Team that I've been using on ladder for quite some time now and something a good deal of yall have probably seen at this point since I've been rocking it since day 2 of floon suspect lol.

:corphish: :krabby: :vullaby: :onix: :diglett: :oddish:
lobster (Corphish) @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off
- Dragon Dance

krab (Krabby) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 36 Def / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Body Slam

bird (Vullaby) (F) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

snake (Onix) @ Eviolite
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Body Press

mole (Diglett) @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

plant (Oddish) @ Eviolite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sleep Powder
- Strength Sap
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

The premise of this typespam team is very simple, weaken water resists to the point where they are taken down by Liquidation from Krabby or Crabhammer by Corphish. A lot of games end with Krabby coming in at the end and clicking Liquidation 5-6 times, which is very satisfying. The rest of the team is rather self explanatory, Vullaby provides Knock Off support and hazard control, Onix has Body Press for Ferroseed which is one of the best water counters out there and has Stealth Rock support, Diglett can trap Mareanie which is another super annoying mon for water-types to deal with, and Oddish is the fighting resist and general glue for the team. Some changes you could make are SD on Corphish if you want the power and SturdyJuice on the Onix if you want some more security. Overall, the team is fairly solid and has a decent matchup against most team archetypes out there at the moment in my opinion.

Last edited:
I have also played for the Alolan Vulpix suspect test and qualified using this team.
:Pancham: :Cutiefly: :Pawniard: :Spritzee: :Ponyta: :Onix:
https://pokepast.es/0e736fa3158dd9ac
I wanted to make a team with Sticky Web + Pancham. Pancham can sometimes even win on its own if the opponent does not have a good way of revenge killing. At +2 attack Pancham hits most of the meta for great damage and gets a lot of one hit KO's. So the Cutiefly set is the Life Orb set to pressure poison types like Mareanie and Oddish for Pancham. At first I went with U-Turn but later I changed it to Bug Buzz for good damage on Ferroseed which helps Spritzee a lot. The ability on Cutiefly is Sweet Veil to switch into predicted Sleep Powders from Oddish. I decided to add Pawniard because its a great mon on webs due to Defiant and helps greatly against the Aurora Veil matchup for this suspect. Overall Pawniard is a great addition to check a lot of other things for the team. I really liked to use Spritzee with Nasty Plot because with Sticky Web it suddenly outspeeds other mons with 17 speed like Onix and forms a mini Fairy spam duo with Cutiefly. Berry Juice Spritzee also helps greatly against the very popular Nasty Plot Vullaby which is much needed as it ignores Sticky Web. Then I wanted to use Ponyta on this team as well since it really takes advantage of Sticky Web as it outspeeds Diglett then, besides speedtying with a rare Choice Scarf variant. Ponyta's main purpose is to break through fatter teams by making use of Sunny Day + Solar Blade. With Sunny Day + Solar Blade there are very few checks to Ponyta as even Weak Armor Eviolite Onix is not safely switching in. Sunny Day also helps the team from a defensive point as there is no Water resist. As final member I added Onix as it provides a lot of utility with Stealth Rock, secondary Flying resist and Taunt. I used Weak Armor opposed to the other abilities because it helps against an opposing Ponyta, barring the Solar Blade set of course.
I really enjoyed using this team during the suspect test as the fun sets like Sunny Day Ponyta made the ladder much more bearable. I think my team is pretty solid in the current metagame and Im interested to see what others think of it and if I should make any changes. All the feedback is welcome :).

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Alright, reviving this as I spent a bunch of time playing for the LC Ladder tour. Missed out by 1 game as I took a pretty crucial L a few mins befoer the deadline which cost me literally 30 gxe about 15 mins before the deadline. That said, during this ladder tour, I've tilted from mid 1500s to 1300s about 3 times. If anything can be gained from this, it'll hopefully be that people will have a team to steal and use on ladder so it'll be slightly less dead. Anyway, enough about how much I hate the ladder, let's talk about the team.

:timburr: :Farfetch’d-Galar: :onix: :vullaby: :ferroseed: :mareanie:

Concept of this team was to build Fightspam. I often find myself seeing Fighting-types to be irritating to switch into. I've had so much fun with Timburr in gen 8, thanks to it getting Defog, it's been one of the best anti-hazard tools in the tier. On top of just hazard removal, it always seems to put in so much work in just about every game it's in. With the ban of Drifloon, Fighting-types have even less switch-ins, so I figured it'd be cool to put 2 fighting-types on the same team and see if they'd break stuff. I decided to go with a Guts set as a status absorber on offense is fantastic, and it allows Timburr to punish Scald Burns and improve the matchup against Ponyta.

Farfetch'd seemed like the ideal choice, as it can punish the main fairy-type switch-ins Cutiefly and Spritzee with Brave Bird and Poison Jab respectively, while also hitting the entire tier with neutral coverage with Close Combat + Brave Bird thanks to Scrappie. While SD seems like a good choice, running scarf allows me to get the jump on faster threats like Cutiefly and outpace slower scarfers like Vullaby.

Speaking of Vullaby, a flying-type resist is crucial if you're running 2 fighting-types and Onix fits this role nicely as it can also provide hazard support with Stealth Rock. While my initial reason for playing SS LC was I was hyped about Onix gaining Dragon Dance and Head Smash (As you'll see by the fact that that's what I wrote for the Onix analysis). Personally though, I believe that Sturdy is a much more powerful ability with Dragon Dance, as you're guaranteed a free +1 in many cases and thanks to how easily Timburr tends to be able to remove entry hazards, keeping Rocks/Spikes off the field so that Onix can sweep tends to be pretty easy.

While Psychic-types are rare (our most viable Psychic-type is sitting at B rank), with the current setup, this team is absolutely demolished by any type of Psychic-type attack, I was also missing a Ground-type immunity and I also wanted a Special attacking Wallbreaker. Nasty Plot Vullaby is one of my favourite breakers right now. Getting a free +2 spe every time you’re hit by a physical attack, making it harder to revenge kill is also super satisfying.

Ferroseed and Mareanie are there as a solid defensive backbone. They both provide Spikes and Toxic Spikes which makes life easier for the breakers on this team and they improve the matchup against our main 2 fairies, Spritzee and Cutiefly (Worth mentioning that thanks to Cutiefly obtaining Roost thanks to Pokemon Home, Mareanie has a much harder time checking it as it can just QD and Roost off Mareanie's Sludge Waves).

Timburr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 196 Atk / 156 Def / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Defog

Farfetch'd-Galar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 20 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Onix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

Vullaby (F) @ Berry Juice
EVs: 116 HP / 236 SpA / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Dark Pulse
- Heat Wave

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 108 Def / 228 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Bullet Seed
- Iron Head
- Spikes

Mareanie @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 HP / 20 Def / 92 SpA / 180 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Last edited:

https://pokepast.es/3f8704cbd82ff5bc

I recently used this at a french team tournament. It was a preparation (that gave me the win) but the team is still quite nice to play with.
Woobat has access to the psychic / fire coverage and breaks through ferro-mareanie cores, and to be honest probably every defensive core in LC with a nasty plot. Unlike galarian pony this thing can't be trapped which is great, but its speed tier requires however some support. So we have some web support, a defiant + ghost core, drilbur for hazard control and timburr / frillish as a glue.

team details :

- the bulkier spread on cutie makes some switch-ins safer
- guts timburr + stone edge was used because I was kinda weak to cutie and standard ponyta, especially wild charge versions
- psych up frillish is my second "safety mon" against cutie, it's a bit cheesy but it works
- sub woobat is really necessary for pawniard
- I prefered water absorb over cursed body to be a little safer vs corphish

the team does well against balanced teams who relies on their defensives cores, but struggles more against heavy offense. Some toughs match-ups includes sd corphish with knock off, wild charge ponyta and some other threats.

if you want to have fun with woobat, then give it a try

Last edited:
LO Snover Web

https://pokepast.es/91cef514e8ca33dd

Since the subject is not very active, I take the liberty of posting a team that I had prepared against Toadow. The call didn't work at all and I ended up having a very bad match-up. Nevertheless the team also peaked #1 on the LC ladder recently when I wanted to test what it was like. It doesn't prove much given the current level of the ladder but the team is still pretty nice against a lot of stuff.

The build is not very complicated to understand. LO Snover + Web Setter + Defiant + Wynaut + 2 Glue. There are small subtleties on the spreads but you can play more common spreads on Vullaby and Timburr.

The team is pretty strong against other swebs and suns. The match up vs birdspam on the other hand can be a real worry if you fail to put the rocks. It's a rather slow team with big weaknesses (wingull...), but it's paradoxically quite efficient most of the time. The LO Snover is a relatively rare set but it is very pleasant to play.

THE SINISTER SIX
:mienfoo: :diglett: :abra: :foongus: :onix: :vullaby:

https://pokepast.es/bf1218b1efae377c

So with the new DLC mons being relased a while ago i figured i'd make a team using some of the best mons we got. if you played LC last gen, you probably saw a team like this every day on the latter. It's your standard Mienfoo/Vullaby core, pivoting around and gaining momentum in addition to hitting hard with HJK and brave bird respectively. with sturdy juice Onix and Foongus as your stealth rock setter/spore user and general momentum sap. Then there's sash Abra for cleaning up late game. And life orb Diglett to trap any threats to the team and to kill other Abras with beat up.

Some problems i've noticed so far is that Grookey is a problem. With grassy glide getting a lot of mileage against Diglett and Abra. So its important to keep your Vullaby healthy to tank those and have Foongus to scare it away with sludge bombs if its not eviolite. But yeah, a super standard strong team with a lot of pivoting/survivability/win cons

Dumping some of my LC Majors teams, time to destroy these annoying webs

:inkay: :mienfoo: :vullaby: :ferroseed: :mareanie: :porygon:
https://pokepast.es/8ff88084702c2727

I built this team for a French tournament match against Xizaaa. Unfortunately I was extremely bad against him but as I was convinced that this team was interesting, I finally used it again against Czim for the Majors and won. The idea is quite simple: a solid core mareanie - ferroseed - vullaby - mienfoo, a finisher, and an anti-woobat pokemon. The vullaby has a specially designed spread to take a fake out, then a hjk at -1 of 0 atk mienfoo. It is also safe to hold hjk from adamant reckless foo. The spread also allows to outspeed timid scarf vulpix after activation of weak armor, also this spread is pretty good against grookey. Scarf inkay is my web and woobat answer. Once woobat comes and take the +2 from grassy seed, you can hard inkay and then trick the scarf since you still outspeed it thanks to contrary, making stored power woobat completely useless for the game, basically it's a inkay vs woobat trade which is great. Scarf inkay can be good too in case of a lack of a reliable fighting resist and it can still spread knock off. Switcheroo can still help against fat match-ups tricking foongus and some defensive threats, destiny bond too if i want to trade inkay against mienfoo or some others useful mons, inkay a more an utility mon there rather than a finisher / sweeper and can be useful in every match-up. Agility + Recover Porygon is my finisher and offers some extra bulk as well. Iron head + twave Ferroseed can pressure slower defensive threats and wins against the uncommon yet terrific cm / np zee that can be a pain for this team. I would not recommend it for beginners since it's more technical to use than most teams, but if you want to use a good team with inkay, well give it a try. This is quite fun to use and surprisingly efficient.

:carvanha: :mienfoo: :vullaby: :ferroseed: :mareanie: :abra:
https://pokepast.es/2af246c37b6c5dce

This team was built for Lilburr in LC Majors. I wanted a solid team able to completely crush webs. It worked well since I had exactly the match-up that I expected and won. Same idea than the team before, a mienfoo - vullaby - mareanie - ferro core + a finisher and an anti-web mon. LO Carvanha is really underrated atm and most teams are not prepared against it, you can often grab free wins against bulky offense teams due to that and it's really good against HO too for obvious reasons, since timburr is not that popular now. Air Balloon + Encore Abra makes Woobat useless and Psychic Terrain completely destroys sticky + grookey teams. The fillers are quite standard outside acrobatics foo. Much more simple to use than the inkay team and as effective.

Last edited:
Hello Its me again, posting in the right thread this time. This is a semi-rain team I came up with. Laddered a good amount of games and won the majority, just looking for some feedback, everything is appreciated!

https://pokepast.es/0eb752432e8e0faa
Grubbin is my Webs setter. I was reading the post above and decided to see how well webs does, and it does very well. As Speed tiers are very close in LC, the speed drop from webs are nice. TWave helps to criple fast mons if Grubbin doesn't lose his sash round 1. Skitter Smack is STAB and lowers opponents SpA for free. Acro is another coverage that does lots of damage after sash is gone.

Arrokuda. I play a lot of mono and barraskewda is popular on water teams, so I decided to check out its pre-evolution. It gets the same moves so I figured I'd give it a try. Liquidation is a strong STAB, CC and PFangs are coverage, and Aqua Jet is for revenge killing is rain isn't up. Speaking of Rain...

Croagunk. God I love this mon. Very similar set to what I posted before, except now with Rain Dance instead of Sball. Rain gives him back 1/8 of his health due to Dry Skin, making it easier to get a Nasty Plot off and snowballing. Vacuum wave gives priority, and Sludge Wave is STAB as well.

Deino. Hydreigon is known as a powerful mon, so I wanted to use his baby evolution. Turns out its a Physical atacker, so I rolled with it. Deino loves that Spritzee has fallen out of favor. Hustle is a strong ability, as everyone knows with Dracozolt. I was Deciding between Outrage and Dragon Tail, but Outrage was the stronger option. Crunch is secondary STAB, and Aqua Tail gets a Rain Boost.

Bronzor. I realized this team needed a Tank as well as a Special-attacker, so I role combined into Bronzor. I wanted to try a Hypnosis idea, so I combined it with Dream Eater. If you don't like that an alternative can be run with Psychic and Toxic. This thing tanks hits and responds with a Hypnosis, gains the lost health back with Dream Eater, and then shoots back powerful Hex's and Flash Cannons.

Sandile. This is my snowball pokemon. Scarf and lots of Speed investment means you can outrun a lot of things, and after getting a kill or too Moxie becomes a big factor. This thing surprises so many people its stupid. It has a high Atk and Spe stats and does hefty damage. Aqua tail also gets a Rain Boost.

Thanks for any responses!

Last edited:

kythr

save the ocean
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NUPL Champion
hi, this thread is old but i'm reviving it because it sucks to see the lc forums this dead and i'd like to share the teams i built & used for lcpl post vull ban. i encourage others to do the same KSG daunt vs Surfy Jox femboy Expulso just to tag a few friends who i know had some really cool builds if they have any interest in sharing ;)

:diglett::scraggy::mienfoo::pawniard::foongus::staryu:
replay
this was my first team after the vull-ban so i was still getting the hang of the meta a bit. looking back at the team now there's definitely some flaws, particularly the weakness to acro grookey and scraggy. however the team is still usable imo and performs effectively for what it's meant to be. the idea behind this team was to always sweep with scraggy, or win the game before scraggy ever needed to come out. beat up diglett was particularly useful for ko'ing sash abra and preventing opposing scraggy from setting up whilst the rest of the team functions as a relatively standard core that can apply both offensive and defensive pressure to help scraggy find itself in a situation in which it could sweep easily. unfortunately this did not actually happen in my game as scraggy got frozen and then i proceeded to still choke the game because im bad :p

:archen::scraggy::grookey::frillish::dewpider::natu:
replay
this was my take on webs which was running wild in lcpl at this point in the season. funnily enough, i had actually passed ez my first draft of the same webs team in week 5 to use vs lily (sorry lily). when i saw how effective it could be i decided to use the team in week 6, especially because i knew it might catch laro off guard since i never really use HO. as for the team, i believe dewp/scrag/grook is self explanatory, frill is the spin blocker and is naturally able to tank an analytic tbolt from staryu on the switch. i have a personal preference regarding fril >pump to fulfill the spinblocker role as i believe it offers a more offensive presence but pump works here all the same. next i have archen because i really love the mon and think it's quite underrated in the current meta, and it provides stealth rock support. lastly i had natu as my means of not losing to opposing grookey but also to help against a mirror webs matchup. i went modest as this changes the heat wave roll to a 75% ohko vs standard pawns (bonus replay from a tour game vs osh). in my actual game vs laro i ran into a webs mirror in which my grookey had a very favorable mu and i was able to capitalize.

:diglett::mienfoo::foongus::pawniard::vulpix::natu:
replay
i actually had a different team prepped for this week, however about 20min before i played i was incorrectly told that the result of my game would not affect anything, and therefore i decided to use this more fun future port natu team. the idea behind this squad was definitely to use natu + foo/pawn/pix/diglett to force progress. although making progress isn't an issue in lc in the first place, i really enjoyed the thought of using 2 of my favorite lc mons (natu & vulpix) on the same team. to explain a bit more in depth, getting a future sight into teleport/hard switch into mienfoo or pawn almost guarantees the team a kill. pawn knock off switchins become limited as fighters can't come into future sight after getting knocked, while mienfoo's poison switchins also don't want to take a knock/hjk into future sight. an alternate route that can be taken is that if, by chance, the opponent leaves their fighter/poison out on a natu teleport turn with future sight up you can go into diglett and click protect, effectively trapping the opposing mon and forcing them to take the future sight hit, and then being able to kill the mon the next turn with eq. in terms of the game itself, i unfortunately ran into a very tricky mu vs dwebble ho in which i saw the optimal route to winning this game was to actually sack natu to prevent any hazards going up so that my vulpix would not die to a +2 grassy glide after rocks. luckily i was able to make some good reads and hit my fire blasts in the end and came away with a w.

:grookey::scraggy::timburr::koffing::pawniard::staryu:
replay
this was supposed to be my week 7 team but i used it in semis due to aforementioned reasons. this was my best take on fightspam + grookey in the aim to overwhelm opposing poison types and win with scraggy/grookey. i originally had grassy seed grookey here but decided to shift roles of removal to staryu, freeing up ice punch on timb, and therefore still giving me a way to beat foongus with one of my fighter/grookey core mons. therefore i could run LO grookey which is a bit less of a mu fish set and improved my mu vs ponyta and opposing scraggy which i thought would be a very likely bring. i also settled for an eviolite shed skin set on scraggy in order to not only try and catch my opponent a bit off guard, but to also provide a spore absorber if needed and not have to rely solely on ice punch timb to break through foongus if i was going for a grookey-centered endgame. in the match itself, my opponent revealed a LO abra, allowing me to not fear scrag being revenged by a sash set, and i was able to make an aggressive play and knock off the opposing timburr, putting my scraggy in a perfect scenario to sweep the game.

:archen::timburr::pawniard::foongus::ponyta::staryu:
replay
for finals i went with a team that i built around a very interesting set that i like to call "scarchen". i know i'm not the first person to use scarf archen but i had never seen it used before in tournament play. furthermore, given the current state of the meta i thought it could have a very useful niche. with an adamant spread archen can ohko a scraggy behind a sub with a dwb (assuming the scraggy is not behind the sub at 100%), and also still outspeeds a +1 jolly scraggy. other useful things include being a great counter lead vs webs which i thought could be a reasonable bring vs me and for its raw surprise factor. loading into the matchup i instantly saw elekid, which was a huge threat to my team and a great pick by my opponent. unfortunately for them and fortunately for me i was able to surprise ko it right from the start on turn 1 and found myself in a very advantageous position for the rest of the game. i will be the first to admit however that i did not play this endgame properly as i let my pony get knocked off by an unexpected scarf pawniard, and therefore weakened myself to the opposing grookey. had i not got the subsequent flame body burn the endgame would have been a bit more tricky but still manageable imo.

for all who came this far, i appreciate you reading my insights regarding my latter half of lcpl and hope you enjoy these teams if you choose to use them yourself! i built a LOT more teams throughout the tour that either my teammates or other friends used, or that did not make the final cut. if this thread gains some more traction and people are interested i'd definitely be willing to share a few more fun squads :)

Last edited:

Surfy

is a Tiering Contributor
LCPL Champion
I will happily oblige and share a couple of teams i used in the past two team tours I played ss lc for (blt and lcpl).

:mienfoo: :scraggy: :abra: :cottonee: :porygon: :ferroseed:
replay

I put this team together with the help of acehunter, risi and papillon for my match against serene in the blt finals and it is highlighted by the sweeper support Cottonee provides. As some of you have probably seen, Serene did a great video perfecting a team similar to this by adding Zig to it and tweaking some other sets so definitely reference that as well, I just wanted to share the initial build with ya'll. I knew from the start that I didn't want to lose to Scraggy, since Serene had used it quite a bit at the time, and I needed to position myself perfectly to avoid that from happening. Alternatively, we thought Cottonee was quite good here as if Scraggy comes in on the wrong mon, all that's need is a switch to Cott and the problem is mostly solved (given its not heavily chipped and knocked). Yet, Cott not only stops Scraggy in its tracks, but I realized that it could afford my own Scraggy with the opportunity to enter the field against a pokemon at -2 via Memento. In this match specifically, Scraggy had quite a good MU and there were only a few things I needed to do to enable the sweep so I was fortunate in that regard. I do think my Scraggy set could have been optimized a tad more, but ultimately i won the 50/50 against the memento'd natu and was able to handle the remainder of Serene's team as well. The Scraggy spread in the paste is Eviolite and EV'd so that it can handle LO Fake Out Grookey and then drain punch back some of the health for additional context.

:mienfoo: :grookey: :pawniard: :staryu: :koffing: :ponyta-galar:
replay
This team draws from a team Acehunter1 built, and was put together in collaboration with my lcpl teammates. The focal point of this team was eventually sweeping with grassy seed Grookey, which felt warranted given the scout at the time. Taunt Mienfoo and Sleep Talk Koffing were added to this team to provide additional support against webs and Foongus respectively, with the latter actually coming to fruition. On preview the MU felt mostly fine once I could remove the Ponyta, knock the Tim and determine the item on Abra - which after one dazzling gleam was revealed to be life orb. After those three boxes had been checked, I just needed to bring Grookey in at the right time which Diglett nicely afforded as it had no way to ohko. There was some debate regarding the Ponyta-G set, but ultimately 3 attacks felt better given the additional coverage for opposing Scraggys, as BZ appropriately pointed out.

:diglett: :ferroseed: :zigzagoon: :abra: :trapinch: :grookey:
https://pokepast.es/51ba2d8b4e5da35f

Hi, I'm sharing a little team that I built to have fun and troll the LC the ladder originally, with acceptable success (a rating around 1600 and some LCPL regulars beaten). This is the kind of "so bad they're good" team. The only downside is that playing it probably makes you a bad human being.

the team is a hyper offense that relies on the trapinch mud-slap + set-up combination, let's be clear it's a very dubious team (to say the least) that relies a lot on luck, but from my experience it's still fun to play and it can easily 6-0 some match-ups

Hone Claws Diglett wins quite a few games on its own if the opponent gets trapped after suffering a big accuracy loss. Some other sets are a bit special too like modest abra but I won't detail the whole process, I think it would not make sense for this kind of teams that revolves around cheese and luck

example replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8lc-1415438393 (r1 LC Fall vs Zeriloa)

Last edited:
:magby: :abra: :zigzagoon: :dwebble: :grookey: :yamask:
https://pokepast.es/8d562f32ba4b8cdb

Concept

This is a team that I literally spammed at the end of the year because I was lazy to build something else and I had pretty good results with. It's a hyper-offensive team that may seem pretty classic but it has a few little twists. The gameplan is pretty simple: win with Zigzagoon, Magby or Grookey depending on the match-up.

How to use it

Dwebble is usually lead in most cases, especially if there is a Mienfoo on the opposing team. Generally, the wincon is zigzagoon most of the time. In other cases, Magby is preferred. The only big exception is the match-up with Scarf Frillish: one will usually try to win with Grookey, or Abra in this case. We usually try to set up as many hazards as possible, prevent the spin with Yamask, and then set up with Magby or Zigzagoon to finish off the other team once their counters have taken enough chip damage. It's pretty simple to understand. Some in-depth sets :

Dwebble

The Dwebble set is quite special since it is played with Counter. The team doesn't really have good switch-ins in Mienfoo and Counter with this spread often allows a trade or to inflict important chips on a U-Turn or a Knock Off. Generally, this is a very interesting option when you only need stealth rocks.

Some Counter calcs :

0 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. -1 116 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Dwebble: 15-18 (65.2 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (OHKO)
156 Atk Pawniard Iron Head vs. 116 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Dwebble: 14-18 (60.8 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (OHKO)
236 Atk Mienfoo High Jump Kick vs. -1 116 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Dwebble: 16-21 (69.5 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (OHKO)
236 Atk Mienfoo Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. -1 116 HP / 76 Def Eviolite Dwebble: 9-11 (39.1 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO *

Counter will do something between 18 and 20 to foo, depending on the hjk roll. Most of the time, it's 20 and you can kill it with Knock Off the next turn. Otherwise, Foo is really weakened and you can get a free SR before dying.

This set lacks a bit of offensive presence, but that's not a big deal from experience considering the job this set can do. The spread allows you to take full advantage of Counter and gives him enough bulk to pose at least one hazard, most often two.

Magby

This Magby set may look completely silly but it's all calculated. The point of this set is pretty simple: do more or less everything Magby normally does, but with the ability to protect yourself from Mienfoo's Fake Out which usually makes Magby's sweep very difficult. Since you need to clear a slot to get Protect, you need a neutral cover, so Body Slam is played here. It may come as a surprise, but Magby with Adamant nature OHKOs the vast majority of the metagame at +6 with Body Slam with some hazards. Again, a few calcs:

+6 236+ Atk Magby Body Slam vs. 0 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Mienfoo: 21-25 (100 - 119%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 236+ Atk Magby Body Slam vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Koffing: 18-22 (85.7 - 104.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 236+ Atk Magby Body Slam vs. 196 HP / 20+ Def Eviolite Mareanie: 21-25 (87.5 - 104.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 236+ Atk Magby Body Slam vs. 124 HP / 156+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 21-25 (84 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

The few OHKOs that are not guaranteed are guaranteed after one more spike. This is not very hard to get, just put a spikes instead of trying counter in case of Mienfoo lead, for example. So it's quite important to know how to gauge your match-up with Dwebble. Overall I would say that when the Zigzagoon matchup is better, hitting counter is the most profitable. If Magby has an excellent matchup, it's probably better to put down a layer of spikes in addition to sr. But the Dwebble dilemma obviously depends on a lot of factors. Especially since a slightly more advanced opponent may decide to lead with Staryu or Mareanie for example. The latter is not really a problem, the former can be.

This set absolutely does not touch ghost types, and that is its main flaw. It also can't OHKO Ferroseed. Is it really that annoying in practice? The answer is generally no. First, because ghost types are generally not played much these days. Second, because the opponent must understand that this Magby does not touch ghost types. Generally, he will tend to send the standard answers instead, like Mienfoo with the idea to chip him with Fake Out. On the other hand, nobody is stupid enough to send his Ferroseed on a boosted Magby, especially when there is a Zigzagoon in front of him. On the other hand, Magby almost always plays Thunder Punch, so sending Frillish as a check (probably the most played ghost) is an idea that usually doesn't occur to people. And when it does, it means that Frillish is Scarf, and the standard Magby couldn't have done anything either.

For all these reasons, I think this Magby set is extremely undervalued, and is probably a set that deserves more attention. However, it is important to note something: it is necessary to reveal protect only at the last moment, to let the opponent sacrifice one or two members of his team. Sometimes he will unintentionally sacrifice mons that could have tanked Body Slam with a low roll, believing that the Magby has something like Fire Punch. If you can tank one Fake Out, do not reveal Protect on the spot. It will help you.

Yamask

Yamask is a completely unused pokémon at high level or even on the ladder. The idea of having a spinblocker seems obvious, but why this one in particular? The answer lies in several factors, which I'll detail.

First, very few ghost pokémon have Memento, which is central to this type of team. None of the best spinblockers in the metagame have this combination. Sinistea learns Memento, but unfortunately cannot use it in Little Cup. That leaves Duskull, Yamask, Yamask-Galar and Litwick. But Litwick and Yamask-Galar are destroyed by Staryu. Only the first two are left. And Duskull is terribly passive.

On the other side, Yamask has a decent offensive presence thanks to his decent special attack. The investment in special attack coupled with Energy Ball makes sure to win the duel against the defensive versions of Staryu. Shadow Ball also does pretty decent damage. Finally, it has many useful attacks, I chose Will-O-Wisp to punish Pawniard who has the annoying tendency to switch on it, which makes Zigzagoon's task much easier afterwards. But more generally, it is useful against many switch-ins. Finally, the Mommy talent is one of the most surprising features. This talent is poisonous to all Pokémon with Regenerator, especially Mienfoo (for example, hard Yamask on a foo's U-Turn will break its Regenerator for the turn). In some cases, this talent also allows to use Memento on Pawniard, which can sometimes be very useful. This talent allows for many vicious tricks.

Finally, a last practical advantage is that many players know very little about this pokémon and therefore make more mistakes. For example, many choose to stay with Staryu if they just got spinblocked, clicking Hpump for instance. This is a huge mistake most of the time because Yamask can spam Energy Ball, and the Staryu will have to leave the field having lost half its life. And if he wants to try again, he will have to take damage from hazards. In a team with so many priorities, 90% of the time, Staryu will never be able to come back. And of course, a Yamask-Staryu trade is almost always great for the team if the hazards have been set. The rest of the spread is a bit technical, I did a lot of calc to optimize but I can't find them anymore. So just know that it maximizes the bulk.

Others sets :

It all seems pretty logical to me so I won't make it long. Drain Punch Grookey and Fire Punch Abra are simply lures to force Steel types out. Sash Abra also allows the team to not get swept immediately in case of an opponent set-up. The Zigzagoon set is nothing special.

Weaknesses

While the team is extremely dangerous against many standard Bulky Offense, it also has some very bad match-ups, which I will list. This is not exhaustive but these are the main ones.

:tyrunt: : Most of the teams around Tyrunt are very difficult to manage. Tyrunt at +1 OHKO almost the entire team, with the exception of Yamask who can take some hits. Zigzagoon can't OHKO even at +6. It doesn't set up so easily against this team, but it's still hard to deal with, especially since it's often played with other problematic pokémon for the team. Most of the time, you have to try to revenge kill him with Grookey. It is a very bad match up in general.

:frillish: : Scarf Frillish is an almost unwinnable match-up in practice. The only theoretical chance is to place a lot of entry hazards, to be able to hold them and to force Frillish to come back to the hazards several times until Water Spout can't OHKO Zigzagoon anymore. Then, you have to manage to place yourself on another pokémon, survive Frillish's attack when he comes to revenge kill, and kill him with Thief. Then pray to place Magby or finish otherwise. In fact, you understand that it is a 6-0. This is the worst match-up you can have, and if your opponent plays well, it's unwinnable. The bulky version with 14 speed is also horrible to handle. The slow version is more manageable, but generally, Frillish is the pokémon that causes the most trouble for this team.

:timburr: (defog burr) : An extremely problematic pokémon for the team, simply because of its ability to get rid of hazards with ease. The team's lack of defensive strength makes it very vulnerable without hazards. This is why Timburr Defog is a problematic match-up. Not unwinnable, but very difficult. The version without Defog can also cause some problems.

:magnemite: Since the team has no electrical immunity, I won't draw you a picture to explain the problem. The Scarf is extremely dangerous. However, the presence of Protect on many pokemons allows to scout its attacks quite easily, which helps to limit its harmfulness. It is still an extremely dangerous match-up. The Berry Juice + Recycle + Endure version, which we hardly see anymore, is much more dangerous. But to be honest, I haven't come across this set in a while.

The team is more or less weak to any pokémon that hits more or less hard. That's why it's important to play aggressively with this team, and to be precise. On the other hand, its surprise potential is quite interesting and its match-up can be surprisingly good against many standard bulky offense.

I elaborated a bit more than usual. Even if you don't like the team, I think there are some interesting ideas. This team is probably better in practice than it looks in theory. I've been doing very well on the ladder with this team, around 1600. And in my tournament games I'm about 5-1 against good players with this team, generally playing pretty badly. So there you go, maybe this team will appeal to some people. And anyway, I was too lazy to make a RMT lol

Last edited:
As some of you know ive been trying to quit competitive pokemon and im prob not going to be playing it actively anymore. Consider this my parting gift if you will

Actually good teams

:abra: :carvanha: :dwebble: :grookey: :ponyta: :timburr:

Yes I did make this team and no i wont apologize. U know what this is already. But now the paste is public so good for u. U set up spikes with dweeble and click this one doesnt take a lot of brain power to play tbh

:grookey: :diglett: :munchlax: :mienfoo: :natu: :koffing:

A lax team that i quite like and that i got to 1800 with

:tyrunt: :trapinch: :mienfoo: :pawniard: :koffing: :frillish:

I felt like using tyrunt so i made this lol

:munchlax: :mienfoo: :staryu: :natu: :koffing: :diglett:

bdov made this one actually so I might take it down. But I felt like it kinda belongs here thematically

:carvanha: :Porygon: :abra: :koffing: :pawniard: :mienfoo:

i made this for blt, it has a carv (epic mon) and trace pory

:mudbray: :timburr: :ferroseed: :mienfoo: :slowpoke: :koffing:

Again, u've prob seen this before, while this is the original version, other ppl have made other versions that might be better idk

:shellos: :mienfoo: :natu: :staryu: :pawniard: :larvesta:

Doesnt take a genius to figure out what ur supposed to do here either

:carvanha: :natu: :Timburr: :larvesta: :diglett: :munchlax:

you need to be 8/10 Canadian to use this

:Foongus: :vulpix: :diglett: :mienfoo: :frillish: :natu:

It has vulpix in 2022 oml

And now the more fun part:

:tyrunt: :vulpix: :frillish: :diglett: :mienfoo: :koffing:

A cool concept of trying to break down water/ get a memento with pix to get runt going, might have a more elegant solution

:pawniard: :carvanha: :timburr: :abra: :Porygon: :larvesta:

Early Canadian build

:magby: :onix: :mienfoo: :cottonee: :abra: :pawniard:

an ho "troll build" that I wasnt quite able to make work imo

:meowth: :abra: :Mareanie: :mienfoo: :magnemite: :diglett:

A frankly hilarious troll team, and prob the best meowth team ever (not that It means much)

:Mareanie: :magnemite: :trapinch: :mienfoo: :amaura: :natu:

An early version of a tspikes stall ish team

:mienfoo: :diglett: :munchlax: :morelull: :pawniard: :natu:

more of a theory craft, still is super clunky

Sorry to anyone im disappointing by making this my (hopefully for real now) my last smog post.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)