Metagame SWSH Gen8 PU Speculation Thread

So with the addition of Throat Spray(+1 after using sound move such as Hyper Voice, Snarl, Bug Buzz), I went to see potential mons that can use the new item(preferably a fast mon). Dropping some mons I think can use this new item:

Liepard @ Throat Spray
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hyper Voice
- Snarl
- Taunt / U-Turn / Nasty Plot

TRIGGERED BY SNARL OR HYPER VOICE

A spicy set that some people won't expect because of its prankster sets in gen 7, throat spray+unburden is a cool combo, especially with the combination of dark/normal being virtually unresisted other than Pawniard/Mawile, but the combo of Snarl/Hyper Voice with +1 Max Darkness ALWAYS kills Mawile, while having a ~40% chance to kill Pawniard with Hyper Voice->Max Darkness. This set can unexpectedly run through weakened teams or most HO teams. Possible answers are Hitmonchan(though with dexit and rapid spin buff he might not be PU),ferroseed(weak to taunt), and moonblast clefairy.

Noctowl @ Throat Spray
Ability: Keen Eye / Tinted Lens(when released)
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Heat Wave / Substitute / Calm Mind / Nasty Plot

TRIGGERED BY HYPER VOICE

While not fast, Noctowl has the benefit of being dual typed and having access to Max Airstream, boosting speed, making it a threatening mon. With tinted lens, it will be very difficult to switch into this mon, and because activating this item is pretty one dimensional, it creates mindgames, having access to further setup in Calm Mind, Nasty Plot, and Substitute. It also has extensive coverage, with Extrasensory, giving psychic terrain, Heat Wave giving sun on dynamax move, but with the combo of its stab+tinted lens, you would be better off using the last two for setup/team needs.

since no ones done it and threads quiet, I'm here to post the first unofficial full Gen8 PU list (minus some of the lesser NFEs, I skimped on putting them):
:Avalugg: Avalugg
:Basculin: Basculin
:Beartic: Beartic
:Beheeyem: Beheeyem
:Bellossom: Bellossom
:Boltund: Boltund (should prob remove, but ill wait for someone to comment)
:Carkol: Carkol
:Cherrim: Cherrim
:Cramorant: Cramorant
:Crustle: Crustle
:Delibird: Delibird
:Drifblim: Drifblim
:Dubwool: Dubwool
:Duosion: Duosion
:Dusclops: Dusclops
:Dusknoir: Dusknoir
:Flareon: Flareon
:Glaceon: Glaceon
:Glalie: Glalie
:Golurk: Golurk
:Gourgeist: Gourgeist (all of em)
:Greedent: Greedent
:Gurdurr: Gurdurr
:Heatmor: Heatmor
:Hitmonchan: Hitmonchan
:Klang: Klang
:Lanturn: Lanturn
:Lapras: Lapras
:Leafeon: Leafeon
:Liepard: Liepard (prankster unreleased atm)
:Linoone-Galar: Linoone-Galar
:Ludicolo: Ludicolo
:Lunatone: Lunatone
:Machoke: Machoke
:Manectric: Manectric
:Mantine: Mantine (no defog, no toxic)
:Maractus: Maractus
:Mawile: Mawile
:Meowstic-M: Meowstic
:Meowstic-F: Meowstic-F
:Mr. Mime: Mr. Mime
:Mudsdale: Mudsdale
:Ninjask: Ninjask
:Noctowl: Noctowl
:Octillery: Octillery
:Oranguru: Oranguru
:Persian: Persian
:Pincurchin: Pincurchin
:Piloswine: Piloswine
:Pyukumuku: Pyukumuku
:Quagsire: Quagsire
:Qwilfish: Qwilfish
:Raboot: Raboot
:Raichu: Raichu
:Roselia: Roselia
:Rotom-Fan: Rotom-Fan
:Sableye: Sableye
:Seaking: Seaking
:Shedinja: Shedinja
:Shiftry: Shiftry
:Shuckle: Shuckle
:Shiinotic: Shiinotic
:Silvally: Silvally (all except Steel/Fairy/Dragon/Ghost)
:Sneasel: Sneasel (it lost knock off and pursuit)
:Solrock: Solrock
:Stonjourner: Stonjourner
:Stunfisk-Galar: Stunfisk-Galar
:Sudowoodo: Sudowoodo
:Swoobat: Swoobat
:Thievul: Thievul
:Throh: Throh
:Torkoal: Torkoal
:Trevenant: Trevenant
:Type-Null: Type: Null
:Unfezant: Unfezant
:Vespiquen: Vespiquen
:Wailord: Wailord
:Whiscash: Whiscash
:Wishiwashi: Wishiwashi
Unusuable NFE/LCs
Doublade
Drakloak
Haunter (without pursuit threatening, haunter is a lot more playable)
Mr. Mime-Galar
Rhydon
Corsola-Galar
Gothorita (no reason to make this fake made up version of pu a bigger meme)
Ferroseed* added, whoops forgot him

these take no considerations for dynamax/gigantimax
this is mainly so if people (myself) wanna play a really early guess-y version of SS PU they can

feel free to comment

im just guessing

Last edited:
not a pu player but
if i remember correctly avalugg is fairly decent in current uu, hdb help it spin and it has a high def for the meta
but what i really want to talk about is this guy
ye no
but i wanna talk about this guy
with eterrain and electric+water coverage on either attacking side, pincurchin looks to be a god mon wherever it resides
can recover if its bulky enough for this meta, and also memento to give 7 turns of eterrain to something

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Guess I'll comment on Boltund (obligatory not a PU player)
:Boltund: Boltund (should prob remove, but ill wait for someone to comment)
Strong Jaw + Choice Band hits very hard despite base 90 attack, and it has pretty decent coverage options, base 121 speed, and Volt Switch for momentum. Tough to say if this thing will drop this low or get snagged by RU or NU since it is pretty decent in a meta with fewer options. (also better than Luxray)

:Mantine: Mantine (no defog, no toxic)
Tough to see this in PU. Despite no Defog or Toxic, offensive Swift Swim sets are still very dangerous when there are few good switch-ins to Water/Flying STAB (like Lanturn is the only one), and it can still function as a defensive pivot-switch (or whatever it should be called).

:Sneasel: Sneasel (it lost knock off and pursuit)
Still good despite losing Knock Off and Pursuit (see Weavile in Gen 8 UU currently). At least now it has reason for running Low Kick on it instead. Choice Band and SD sets are still scary to face, especially coming from 115 Speed in addition to priority in Ice Shard.

Mostly agree with the list, some other stuff like Unfezant (might get stolen by NU if Braviary gets stolen from them) and Swoobat (+4 SpAtk boosts and Stored Power is hard to pass up) which might not stay. Hard to tell really. Also F for Thievul, which is outclassed by Gastly.

Hi zoowi! I really like this post as I've been playing a lot of Speculative PU as of right now to pass the time. Here's some stuff that I'm kind of on the fence about-- I agree with both Fragmented and Tmi489 above about what they feel might not be PU, so I'm not going to comment on those.

Cramorant is quite strong offensively forcing people to either run a scarf electric type, Chinchou (or Lanturn if it's legal), or specially defensive ice types, but that's not why I think it's going to become overwhelming for PU. Once it reaches below half health, Cramorant can paralyze with Gulping Missile 100% of the time, and once it does, it can alternate between Endure + Surf to damage your opponent. It can also Flinch them down with Air Slash as a last resort if things do not work out. This means it can theoretically beat all its offensive checks (except if they are electric types) while still being a threat offensively. It's not going to last here at all.
:Drifblim: Drifblim
Strength Sap made it too strong imo. It may not have Flare Boost to boost its moves, but a bulky Sitrus berry set with Strength Sap/Will-o-Wisp/Hex/Calm Mind would make it very VERY hard to deal with. I don't think Defog sets would be problematic but CM sets look overwhelming and would force teams to run a normal type just to not lose to it.
:Gurdurr: Gurdurr
I don't think it'll be too good for PU, I just think a higher tier is going to snatch it because of its new access to defog. I think Gurdurr would be okay and balanced if it does stay.
Now that Rapid Spin can boost Speed, Hitmonchan looks like a deadly hazard removal Pokemon that can also act as a sweeper. I feel like that might send it over the top but who knows.
I don't know what would check this. Clefairy lost Softboiled, all Grass types would have to run yache berry, and most scarfers aren't as fast as they are in gen 7. You would have to run Roselia to not lose to this lol.
:Mudsdale: Mudsdale
Mudsdale wouldn't be broken in PU by any means, it's just a good bulky Stealth Rocker that can abuse Stamina + Body Press. I think higher tiers are going to like and use this Pokemon a lot because of that reason.
Ninjask got Acrobatics! SD + Acrobatics/Leech Life/U-turn makes it not as bad as it was in past generations. I feel like Speed Boost + reliable STAB might make NU want to try it out and take it away from us.
I hope we get this, I'm just skeptical. I'm still traumatized over NU not giving us Pilowsine last gen :(
:Quagsire: Quagsire
Nothing wrong with Quagsire, it just alternates between different tiers so it might not end up PU.
It's a Spikes/Toxic Spikes setter and higher tiers are probably going to use it a lot because Spikes setters are very limited. It'd be healthy in PU though.
Maybe it won't be NU, but it definitely won't last in PU and be sent to PUBL. Nasty Plot makes it too much of an offensive threat and all teams would have to resort to running Pupitar or Lanturn to not lose to it. WAY too strong.
:Shiftry: Shiftry
It has Defog, Nasty Plot, and Swords Dance,. Shiftry MIGHT be PU, but I don't think it's going to last long if it does stay because of how versatile it is.
Iffy about this one. Guts looks strong, but lack of Knock Off makes me think it won't be overpowered, but then I look at Bulk Up + Rest Talk Sets, and feel like that might be a little too much. I'm 50/50 about this--leaning more towards PUBL or NU though.
Nothing is overpowered with Torkoal, it's just that drought might make it rise a higher tier. I hope it stays!

Last edited:

Fragmented

procrastinating...
is a Pokemon Researcher
Just wanna comment on some stuff you mentioned.

Cramorant is quite strong offensively forcing people to either run a scarf electric type, Chinchou (or Lanturn if it's legal), or specially defensive ice types, but that's not why I think it's going to become overwhelming for PU. Once it reaches below half health, Cramorant can paralyze with Gulping Missile 100% of the time, and once it does, it can alternate between Endure + Protect to damage your opponent. It can also Flinch them down with Air Slash as a last resort if things do not work out. This means it can theoretically beat all its offensive + defensive checks while still being a threat offensively. It's not going to last here at all.
This is essentially a weaker Swanna, although it has decent SpDef. What really breaks it for me is that is the guaranteed 25% damage to max health upon getting hit, making revenge killing it dangerous especially if you need your mon to check something else. That aside, electric types like Manectric don't really care too much about the paralysis, but have to stay healthy enough in order to effectively revenge kill.

Nothing is overpowered with Torkoal, it's just that drought might make it rise a higher tier. I hope it stays!
Bold of you to assume that Drought isn't getting banned in the two tiers where Grass-types with Chlorophyll are useable threats.

I don't know what would check this. Clefairy lost Softboiled, all Grass types would have to run yache berry, and most scarfers aren't as fast as they are ing gen 7. You would have to run Roselia to not lose to this lol.
Checked by Cramorant lol.

That's all I got at the moment. Feel free to disagree/shitpost

I'll be the first to admit I have no idea how viable this will end up being, but when I learned the mechanics of body press I immediately thought of this mon

Onix @ Eviolite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Body Press
- Dragon Tail

Onix has a monstrous base 160 defense, and coupled with eviolite, it'll be pretty tough to take down on the physical side. Now this has been the case basically ever since gen 1, but what makes Onix so much better this gen is of course, body press. It can actually hurt things now that it doesn't have to rely on its base 45 attack. Unfortunately, body press is only 80 bp and it doesn't get stab, so it won't be tearing through teams any time soon, but its defense is so good that it threatens a 2hko on most things that don't resist it. It seems like a gimmick that probably won't see much use unless we lose a lot of rockers to the upper tiers, but I felt like I should share this before anyone can *prove* it's unviable.

Alright i think we can assume that almost surely Machoke will end up in pu. Not only does it face heavy competition as a bulky fighting type from upper tier fighting types such as Hitmontop/Chan, Scrafty, Gurdurr which now has defog, even Throw to an extent, but it also has to rely on its eviolite to tank hits, which it hates having knocked off.
Resttalk sets have seen a lot of usage in the last gens so here is my take on a good potential spread for it:

:Machoke: @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Last edited:

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I'm going to tell You right now we aren't getting Onix for a good while.

I've been trying to play with team builder and there just aren't the tools for TR, banded(First Impression) Trapinch with U turn wishi wishi is actually insane. But besides like duskclops and alien brain there aren't any setter I'd ever want.

We will probably get a decent web setter just skimming through the options, but to make webs work You'd probably need next some serious rock stab for whoever has boots

Looking at everything.

I'm thinking I'd rather wait for move tutors, it looks puddle deep shallow in most tiers in general

Heeeeellllllllloooooo Annoying

Hattrem (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 232 HP / 248 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Nuzzle
- Dark Pulse
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Outspeeds commonly annoying mons, but will probably be adjusted more

This just looks stupid, can sub out for draining kiss if not about hax

Last edited:
I'm going to touch on a pokemon that i have not seen in the metagame very much, which could lead to it ending up in PU and being a very dangerous threat.

Unfezant is a real threat and is a really hard-hitting pokemon.
I dont think people see the reason why it is a threat but when looked into, it is quite evident.

Big Birb (Unfezant) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Night Slash
- U-turn
- Facade
- Brave Bird

Unfezant has amazing offensive stats, and has new access to Brave Bird. A nature that does not boost speed is put its speed stat at 285. With scarf, this outspeeds many scarfers such as Gardevoir, Gallade, Togekiss, Chandelure etc. Super Luck boosted Night Slash is always good and Unfezant gives fast momentum through uturn. Facade is for Unfezant's weakness in being crippled by burn.

Because of this, this mon might end up in NU but it honestly would be interesting to see Unfezant rule the PU metagame

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor
So the Expansion Pass DLC was announced about a week ago, and even though we don't have SWSH PU Version 1.0 yet, I thought I'd look through the returning mons from the DLC to see what could be useful down here. I'll put it in a hide in case people don't want to see spoilers. All my move predictions are speculation but they're all decently realistic in my opinion.

I don't see this thing getting many new moves, but it'll still remain pretty useful as a bulky Defog user. Even though it was NU last gen, I think it's possible we might get it this gen, but I guess we'll have to see.
Possible New Relevant Moves: Gunk Shot, Foul Play, Hurricane

Cloud Nine could make this mon a decent anti-hail attacker if Hail ends up being anything like it was last gen. If it gets Aura Sphere or even just maintaining Focus Blast, it can easily beat Aurorus, Beartic, and non-Scarf Abomasnow. Can even beat Alolaslash if that gets added. I also have a pretty good feeling that it'll get Nasty Plot, adding to its further offensive presence.
Possible New Relevant Moves: Nasty Plot, Muddy Water, Aura Sphere, Power Gem

I'll only talk about the Kantonian form in this since we don't know hardly anything about the Galarian form. This thing could be really cool with the new addition of Heavy Duty Boots in addition to its already reliable recovery and Pressure. I think this could even viably run a Calm Mind set, or Nasty Plot if it gets it.
Possible New Relevant Moves: Aura Sphere, Brave Bird, Nasty Plot

This thing will probably not stay PU, especially if it gets Body Press off of its massive Defense stat. It's possible that it could fall down here, but I highly doubt it with how we've seen stuff like Avalugg and Mudsdale spike in viability in higher tiers.
Possible New Relevant Moves: Body Press

A really under-appreciated mon in SM, if this thing got a little extra coverage it could be much better. If it also got Nasty Plot, it could turn into a decent double dance sweeper with its BoltBeam coverage, and could possibly even get Freeze-Dry since Glaceon and Kyurem also got it this gen.
Possible New Relevant Moves: Aura Sphere, Nasty Plot, Freeze-Dry(?)

I might be overestimating the distribution of Spikes but it seems kinda shit to me that the only returning Pokemon that newly got it since it was made a TR is Mew. So it could be a cool dual hazard setter if they redistribute access to Spikes. Otherwise, Dragon Dance becoming a TR means that the Gible line could possibly get it, making Gabite a cool bulky sweeper. Breaking Swipe could also be used to make it more of a defensive wall.
Possible New Relevant Moves: Dragon Dance, Breaking Swipe, Spikes (possible but unlikely)

Still no regional variant that makes it Fighting type, but it'll probably get Close Combat via TR. Flare Blitz may also be an addition since it does already get Flamethrower, but that's probably the least likely new move. I'm hoping they add more to make this mon actually usable but I'm not holding my breath.
Possible New Relevant Moves: Close Combat, Flare Blitz, Blaze Kick, Darkest Lariat

Mesprit rose to NU last gen but with a bunch of new stuff, it's possible that it could drop here again. Scarf and Specs sets might be able to really benefit from Aura Sphere and Mystical Fire being TR/TM if it manages to get its hands on them. Set up sets might also become better if it gets access to Nasty Plot and Stored Power. And bulky sets will now probably get access to Cosmic Power, making this super unpredictable and possibly even better than it was last gen. Oh I guess physical sets might get to use Psychic Fangs maybe?
Possible New Relevant Moves: Magic Powder, Draining Kiss, Aura Sphere, Cosmic Power, Nasty Plot, Stored Power, Psychic Fangs, Mystical Fire

If this gets access to Aurora Veil like Vanilluxe and Abomasnow did and Veil itself doesn't get banned in lower tiers like last gen, then this'll probably be the go-to setter as it has rocks too. Weather Ball could be used on Snow Warning sets as an alternative to Blizzard but at the cost of some power, while Tri Attack can be used on Refrigerate sets now instead of Hyper Voice for some extra hax chances. Power Gem could be a new addition to its Rock-type moves, and it could possibly get Nasty Plot+Stored Power as well with its already large Psychic movepool.
Possible New Relevant Moves: Weather Ball, Icicle Spear, Rock Blast, Tri Attack, Power Gem, Nasty Plot, Power Whip, Stored Power, Aurora Veil

Another mon that could get Spikes but I won't hold my breath. Play Rough and Psychic Fangs add to its coverage options. Rock Blast can be used as an alternative to Stone Edge with more accuracy and ability to break through Sturdy and Focus Sashes, while Reversal can let its own Focus Sash set do some damage when at 1HP.
Possible New Relevant Moves: Rock Blast, Reversal, Spikes, Play Rough, Psychic Fangs

I'll elaborate on some of these later, just wanted to get at least a few of these ideas out there.

Last edited:

zS

this is all a moo point
is a Top Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
Juuno <3 @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
OIP.jpg

Timid/Modest Nature
- Freeze Dry
- Shadow Ball
- Blizzard/Hyper Voice
- Ice Beam

This Pokemon can be just an absolut beast in the metagame. With a really powerfull Ice STAB move, Glaceon will just destroy a big amount of Pokemon. In addition to that, Glaceon has a pretty good bulk and insane special attack so if it drops to PU (which will surely happen), it will be very strong as a wallbreaker.
Last but not least, It has now acces to freeze dry which is going to be very usefull as glaceon had to run hp grass to check water types. Unfortunatly, It hasn't got a good movepool so it won't have a lot of options but I am pretty sure that this Pokemon will be pretty solid as a Wallbreaker.

Last edited:

SergioRules

||blimp||
s/o to zSpxdes for making this not a double post for me

NU is out so we have a better idea of the things that might drop here so I'm gonna try and make some form of preliminary role compendium if that's okay? obviously won't be 100% accurate because I'll be using my own judgement as to what gets yoinked by NU but it's better than nothing. Also gonna be separating lists with stuff that will change once Pokemon Home comes out where applicable.

If you have anything I missed/a mon you think NU will take, lemme know on Discord or smth and I'll change it. I'm sure there'll be an official one of these when PU really comes out but I'm bored and have nothing better to do with my time, so I'll make it a little easier on the TL's when they make the real one.

Stealth Rock: :onix: :clefairy::sudowoodo: :mawile: :lunatone: :solrock: :hippopotas: :drilbur: :stunfisk-galar: :pawniard: :carkol: :cufant::stonjourner:
After Home: :dugtrio-alola: :corsola::stunfisk:
Spikes: :delibird: :roselia: :glalie: :maractus: :shelmet: :carkol: :pincurchin:
Toxic Spikes: :roselia: :vespiquen: :shelmet: :mareanie: :pincurchin:
Defog: :farfetchd-galar: :noctowl::timburr: :rufflet: :vullaby: :corvisquire:
After Home: :togetic: :delibird: :vibrava: :vespiquen: :dartrix: :silvally:(whatever forms NU doesn't take)
Rapid Spin: :delibird: :drilbur: :carkol:
After Home: :wartortle:

Calm Mind: :clefairy::lunatone::musharna::swoobat::gothitelle::duosion::beheeyem::lampent: :oranguru: :hattrem:
After Home: :raichu-alola: :mr. mime: :noctowl: :meowstic-m: :meowstic-f:(since they don't get HAs until Home)
Bulk Up: :machoke: :timburr: :throh: :scraggy: :rufflet: :stufful: :hakamo-o: :raboot:(with Libero):grapploct:
After Home: :torracat:
Nasty Plot: :raichu: :persian: :mr. mime: :togetic: :lunatone: :liepard: :swoobat::gothitelle::beheeyem: :oranguru: :thievul:(better with Stakeout) :morgrem:
After Home: :raichu-alola: :persian-alola: :noctowl: :meowstic-m: :meowstic-f: :dartrix: :torracat:
Swords Dance: :farfetchd-galar: :seaking::sneasel::ninjask: :shedinja: :mawile: :solrock::beartic::pawniard: :type null: :silvally: :hakamo-o: :thwackey: :greedent: :dubwool:
After Home: :rapidash: :dartrix: :torracat:
Dragon Dance: :onix: :lapras::whiscash: :scraggy: :fraxure: :hakamo-o: :drakloak:
Quiver Dance: :bellossom:
Weather: :seaking::ludicolo: :cherrim::leafeon: :maractus:
Other: :klang:(Shift Gear) :rufflet:(Hone Claws) :seaking:(Agility):greedent::eiscue:(Belly Drum)
After Home: :wartortle:(Shell Smash) :noctowl:(Agility) :raichu-alola:(Surge Surfer)

Dual Screens: :mr. mime: :togetic: :corsola: :lunatone: :solrock: :gothitelle: :duosion: :beheeyem: :oranguru: :drizzile: :morgrem:
After Home: :meowstic-m: :meowstic-f:
Aurora Veil: :delibird: :glaceon: :arctovish:

Recovery
Roost: :noctowl: :vullaby:
After Home: :togetic: :vibrava: :rufflet: :dartrix: :drampa:
Slack Off: :hippopotas:
Recover: :duosion: :beheeyem: :shelmet: :mareanie: :pyukumuku: :pincurchin:
After Home: :corsola:
Strength Sap: :bellossom: :shiinotic:
Moonlight/Morning Sun: :bellossom: :lunatone: :shiinotic: :solrock:
After Home: :rapidash:
Synthesis: :bellossom: :roselia: :leafeon: :gourgeist:
Healing Wish: :mr. mime: :hattrem:

Priority Moves
Sucker Punch: :sudowoodo: :mawile: :dusknoir: :liepard: :stunfisk-galar: :pawniard: :heatmor: :trevenant: :raboot: :grapploct: :morgrem: :pincurchin: :drakloak:
After Home: :dugtrio-alola: :shedinja: :dartrix:
Shadow Sneak: :shedinja: :dusknoir: :gourgeist:
Aqua Jet: :basculin:
After Home: :wartortle:
Mach Punch: :hitmonchan: :timburr:
Fake Out: :persian: :sneasel: :liepard: :morgrem:
Ice Shard: :lapras::sneasel::delibird::glalie::glaceon:
Quick Attack:
After Home: :rapidash:

Momentum
U-turn: :persian::ninjask::vibrava::vespiquen::liepard::swoobat::rufflet::vullaby::wishiwashi::type null::silvally::thwackey::raboot::corvisquire::thievul::drakloak:
After Home: :persian-alola:
Volt Switch: :pikachu::raichu::manectric::klang:
After Home: :raichu-alola:
Parting Shot: :linoone-galar::silvally::thievul:
After Home: :persian-alola::torracat:

Other
Knock Off: :machoke::farfetchd-galar::shuckle::linoone-galar::crustle::vullaby::thwackey::thievul:
After Home: :raichu::persian::persian-alola::seaking::sneasel::mawile::liepard::timburr::throh::scraggy::pawniard::heatmor::dartrix::mareanie::oranguru:

Feb 3rd edit: added some more stuff and edited lists to work with the below speculative list
Feb 9 edit: added Knock Off and some updates
Feb 15 edit: added stuff on first few weeks of NU usage

Last edited:
With NU's release and the go-ahead from zoowi I've composed an updated speculative PU list

:Clefairy: Clefairy
:Eiscue: Eiscue
:Gourgeist: Gourgeist
:Grapploct: Grapploct
:Liepard: Liepard
:Linoone-Galar: Linoone-Galar
:Morgrem: Morgrem
:Musharna: Musharna
:Silvally: Silvally (besides Ghost/Steel/Fairy)
:Sneasel: Sneasel

Hope this helps people, feel free to disagree if I left out any mons you think will drop below

Last edited:

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
With NU's release and the go-ahead from zoowi I've composed an updated speculative PU list

:Lanturn: Lanturn
:Silvally: Silvally (besides Ghost/Steel, and probably Fairy/Dragon)

Hope this helps people, feel free to disagree if I left out any mons you think will drop below
List is appreciated, though some of the mons are being used a good bit in NU atm. Flareon with it's boots Spdef set is a solid wish passer and overall special blanket meta check. I've seen a good bit of Golurk so unsure if it belongs on the list. Hitmonchan is one of their better spinners, and we know how desperate these tiers are for removal. Rain is running around a good bit so iffy on if Ludicolo should be here. Piloswine I also think will be NU by usage, good rocker that's tough to take down.

Rest of the list looks good! This is obviously only from a couple days of playing but the meta is settling a bit. I could be completely wrong and they just make it past the cut off point though

Akir

A true villain!
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

:Drizzile: Drizzile
:lanturn: Lanturn
:Silvally: Silvally (besides Ghost/Steel, and probably Fairy/Dragon)

This was decided to be largely correct, with a few changes. They have been touched on by others, but here is the banlist that PU will be using until March:
/tour rules -abomasnow, -appletun, -arctovish, -arctozolt, -lanturn, -butterfree, -qwilfish, -cofagrigus, -cursola, -drampa, -drednaw, -crustle, -falinks, -ferroseed, -flareon, -garbodor, -golurk, -rotom-fan, -haunter, -hitmonchan, -hitmontop, -jolteon, -kingler, -klinklang, -malamar, -mantine, -orbeetle, -perrserker, -piloswine, -rapidash-galar, -rotom-frost, -sandaconda, -sawk, -scrafty, -shuckle, -silvally-fairy, -skuntank, -slurpuff, -togedemaru, -toxicroak, -unfezant, -vikavolt, -mr.mime-galar, -rhydon

If you need a visual list, here it is:
:Clefairy: Clefairy
:Drizzile: Drizzile
:Eiscue: Eiscue
:Grapploct: Grapploct
:linoone-galar: Linoone-Galar
:Musharna: Musharna
:Silvally: Silvally (All but Ghost, Steel, Fairy)

A few more that I would expect to lose, but for now this list is passable. Have fun!

Last edited:

SergioRules

||blimp||
No one:
Still nobody:
Absolutely no one on these forums:
Me: Okay fine, I'll write a way too long post talking about all the Pokemon listed in the PU Speculation list.
:Basculin:One of my favorite underrated mons to use in ORAS but unfortunately was mostly outclassed by Floatzel. This gen, however, it looks like a very fearsome breaker. Even bulky stuff like Lanturn won't appreciate an Adaptability LO or Band Liquidation/Superpower. Its Speed tier is also really good, with only a handful of mons outspeeding it unboosted. Also got Hydro Pump which could be good if it only still had HP Grass.
:Beheeyem:Always a good mon since gen 5. Got some new tools with Stored Power and Teleport buff, misses out on HP Fighting to hit Steels and Darks, but NP, Psychic/Stored Power, Recover, filler is going to be a pretty good set. Can also set Trick Room wish is great because there's a ton of slow stuff down here.
:Bellossom:Notably the only Quiver Dance user in the tier. Strength Sap lets it keep pretty much the same role as SM. Also with Drampa likely staying in NU, that leaves very few Grass checks in the tier. Ninjask will probably be this thing's biggest threat along with Rotom-Fan and Crustle.
:Cherrim:I don't know if anyone actually plans on running Sun teams but this thing now having Solar Blade might make it okay since it does have SD and Flower Gift boosts Attack.
:Crustle:Shell Smash, Spikes, Stealth Rock, Knock Off, Rock Blast, pretty good coverage makes this thing a big threat for any team not well enough prepared for it. Probably one of the best hazard setters along with Stonjourner.
:Delibird:Even with Hustle it's still pretty weak, though the super rare Rapid Spin as well as Spikes and Heavy Duty Boots could make this have a small niche.
:Drizzile:Why is this mon even mentioned and not our lord and savior, Carkol? This thing doesn't even get Scald. All it can really do is set screens and U-turn.
:Dubwool:Cotton Guard makes this thing really beefy and Body Press becomes super strong. Unfortunately walled by Ghosts unless it runs Payback, and doesn't really do much else. But it doesn't look like we'll have too much special breaking power so it could be alright.
:Duosion:Honestly,I think this'll be pretty good. Bulky, not a lot of Knock Off in the tier and Pursuit being cut allows it to switch freely. Also getsStored Power with Iron Defense and Calm Mind for some really decent offensive presence for such a bulky mon.
:Dusclops:For similar reasons as Duosion, this could be pretty cool. Super bulky despite its low HP, good support movepool, and once again, not a lot of Knock Off and no Pursuit helps this out immensely.
:Dusknoir:Just Dusclops but more offensive, Banded sets can run Trick to cripple defensive walls, and access to Darkest Lariat means it also can ignore defense boosts when attacking.
:Glaceon:Freeze Dry is a godsend for Glaceon, meaning it can actually threaten some bulky Waters like Lanturn. Wish also allows it to have some longevity or provide some team healing when needed.
:Glalie:Spikes is good, but I think we have better setters than this.
:Gourgeist:The bigger versions of Gourg will be super bulky walls that think will probably fit as a glue on a lot of teams. The small version with its higher Speed and the new access to Nasty Plot, may be able to pull off a fast special set since Gourg has a pretty good movepool.
:Greedent:This thing being so slow sucks, but Belly Drum with a Sitrus Berry and Cheek Pouch means this gets all the way back up to full. Could be good on maybe a Trick Room team since its bulk is pretty decent but I just wish it had a usable Speed outside of that or maybe some priority.
:Heatmor:Good mixed movepool, this thing was decent in ORAS, I don't see it being too different here except that Fire Lash helps it break through defensive Pokemon much easier.
:Lanturn:Fat mon and without many Grass types that don't fear a Scald burn, it doesn't have too many things that can safely switch into and KO it. Glaceon, Bellossom, and Maractus stand out as switch ins, but that's basically it.
:Lapras:I keep wanting this mon to be good. Hoping either DD or specially offensive sets can make a change for this mon this gen.
:Leafeon:Nice fast Swords Dance user. Like with Bellossom, not too many Grass checks means that this'll be pretty good, even better when it gets Knock Off from Home.
:Liepard:This'll get a big boost with Bank giving it Knock and Prankster, allowing it to be better both offensively and support-wise. Nasty Plot Copycat sets, or Banded sets will be awesome. For right now, Nasty Plot Throat Spray with Snarl works pretty well, as Unburden makes it the fastest Pokemon in the tier. Band with Throat Chop also works until Knock Off comes.
:Lunatone:Nasty Plot is cool for this, letting it be more offensive than in past gens with Calm Mind. Dual Dance sets with Rock Polish can be neat. As well as being a rocker with recovery. Looking forward to this mon and its cousin.
:Manectric:Probably the best Scarfer in the tier. Virtually no Ground types, only having to worry about the few Volt Absord and Lightningrod Pokemon running around. Lacks coverage for Lanturn but can smack the rest with Overheat/Flamethrower.
:Maractus:More Spikes setters that are really good in old gens! Probably one of the better ones as mentioned before switching into Lanturn and not having many Grass checks.
:Mawile:Wow offensive Mawile has almost no counters as the only thing that can take a lot of hits from it is Stunfisk-G.
:Meowstic-M::Meowstic-F:How did these not get Stored Power or Mystical Fire when it seems like every other Psychic type got them. Nasty Plot is cool though, Female can be cool with Competitive deterring Defog since it's more widely distributed. Male does Prankster screens okay.
:Morgrem:Definitely didn't know this thing actually has better Special Attack than Attack. Also has Prankster screens and Taunt, making for some pretty good support.
:Ninjask:I absolutely LOVE this mon getting Acrobatics, but unfortunately it can't fully use it if it also holds one of the best items for it in Heavy-Duty Boots. I think it'll be a threat with the right hazard control.
:Noctowl:Nasty Plot makes this a lot cooler than last gen's Work Up. Dual Dance with Agility, NP, Hurricane, Roost gonna be hella good.
:Octillery:I like this thing in ORAS when SpeedPass was legal. Nowadays, I'm not sure how I'll feel about it but it's still a super strong attacker. Great coverage, and maybe use on Trick Room.
:Oranguru:Oddly enough, the only thing that keeps Nasty Plot, Stored Power, and keeps Focus Blast.
:Persian:Still pretty bad, lost Water Pulse and Shock Wave for Nasty Plot sets and doesn't have good enough stats to do much else.
:Pincurchin:Double Spikes, Recover, Sucker Punch, Discharge, Memento, and other useful stuff. I think this could be a pretty good mon honestly and support some teams with Electric Surge. Alolan Raichu's best friend right here.
:Pyukumuku:Still does the same thing it always does. Lots of mons getting Nasty Plot so it could be useful in walling them if they don't have Stored Power.
:Qwilfish:Double Spikes again, Intimidate, good offensive presence for a defensive-ish mon. I'm thinking it might not actually fall down here but it'll be good if it does. SD+Swift Swim can also work on rain teams.
:Raichu:Nasty Plot and good Speed tier, with coverage to hit Lanturn, Surf is good too for the few grounds.
:Rotom-Fan:Three of the Rotom forms are OU, two of them primarily because of Nasty Plot sets. Can't hit Lanturn, but can hit Grass types pretty well.
:Seaking:New access to SD is gonna make it pretty cool, especially if you run it on rain like Qwilfish. Hits Grasses with Megahorn, Gourgeist with Throat Chop or Knock Off.
:Shedinja:Heavy Duty Boots means this doesn't die to hazards. This obviously sacrifices the normal Focus Sash and guaranteed live of one attack, but can be used to wall stuff like Dubwool, Lanturn, non-Power Gem Lunatone, Raichu, and probably some of the Silvally forms.
:Shiinotic:Only Spore user in the game so far, Strength Sap and nice bulk help with staying power, Moonblast, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb. Maybe return of the Specs set from mid USUM?
:Silvally:I honestly can;t give my opinion on all of these but they'll all be so much better when they get Defog. We might even lose some of them when it does come out.
:Sneasel:I honestly don't know if we'll get this mon. Sure, Throat Chop isn't Knock Off, but it's still super strong. No pursuit kinda sucks, but very few things in the tier want to switch into any of this mons attacks.
:Solrock:See Lunatone but replace NP with SD.
:Stonjourner:This is probably going to be one of the best rockers in the tier. SpDef is shit but 70 Speed isn't bad, and its offensive movepool lets it hit pretty much everything it wants/needs to.
:Stunfisk-Galar:Why couldn't they just give this Iron Head or something? If Snap Trap was a Steel move with something like 60+ base power, this could actually be a good mon. But I think GameFreak actually made another regional variant that's worse than the original (see Dugtrio).
:Sudowoodo:I'm just gonna click Banded Head Smash with this mon and pray, but probably still won't be good.
:Swoobat:I think we can all agree that when Simple comes out, this'll probably move up to NU. Nasty Plot Stored Power hits like a truck at +4.
:Thievul:This mon kinda seems shit, Stakeout will be pretty cool though.
:Throh:Nice stallbreaker with Mold Breaker, Bulk Up, Storm Throw. Can phase with Circle Throw, and is pretty bulky.
:Trevenant:This got Sucker Punch which is pretty cool. I'm thinking Band sets will be nice with Trick, and as I've said so many times, few Grass checks.
:Type-Null:I think with the new distribution of Nasty Plot makes this a little easier to deal with. Though it'll still be a great bulky pivot with very few Fighting types.
:Vespiquen:They really buffed this mon with tspikes and Boots but then took away all of its recovery until Home. Once it gets Roost though, it'll be a decent defensive mon with Pressure stalling.
:Wailord:This mon will be bad as always, I'm sorry.
:Whiscash:DD and decent STAB combo but can't reliably touch Grasses.
:Wishiwashi:Same thing as last gen except the 50% berries it used to like running are now 33% which sucks a lot. Hydro Pump/Liquidation, Ice Beam, U-turn, EQ on a Trick Room team is probably the best this mon will get honestly.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
I really doubt Grapploct will get enough usage to be NU when it's competing with Sawk as a pure wallbreaker, and the Hitmons for a fighting-type in general. Not to mention Falinks has a much more appealing gimmick. Easy PU add imo

Just on some of the mons being mentioned, currently Lanturn is looking pretty good in NU as a bulky pivot and seems likely to stay there. I've seen a fair amount of Raichu too but I'm not as sure on that one.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Some mons I've been having fun with during this speculation period:
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/ninjask.gif

Ninjask @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance
- Dig / U-turn
- Leech Life

Boots is a huge blessing for Ninjask. Not having to worry about coming in and taking 50 makes it insanely scary, great mon to pick things off or take advantage of situations where ur opp is forced to switch. Paired it with T-spikes and yawn to wear down it's common checks and force switches respectively. Here's a game I had today which shows it off fairly well: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1059537978

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/silvally-water.gif
(Water)
Silvally-Water @ Water Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Fire Fang
Really cool breaker. Good defensive typing + coverage in Nuke water stab, Fire Fang for grasses, U turn also for grasses but when you know you'll be forced out next turn after already SDing or to just pivot out. This game shows it off pretty well forcing a switch and basically taking down 2 whole mons. (ferro is illegal yeah yeah): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1057477255

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/ani/carkol.gif

Carkol @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Rapid Spin
- Body Press
- Stone Edge
Absolutely love this thing. More removal options might make it a lot less practical to use but god damn it I think it's pretty decent right now lol. It checks a good portion of the physical attackers, spreads burn, actually spins pretty well, body press is decently strong. It has a good amount of things going for it. I have a couple games where it did really well, or was insanely clutch: Turn 18 on https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1057504835 , Turn 4 till 9 (allowed me to wear whis down enough, so I didnt lose too much footing) https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1059537978

So yea been having fun vs some friends in this. Hoping home opens up some new options for us as we lack removal atm. We're doing gen 8 room tours so hop by if you guys want to play some speculation! ty for reading

Here's some mons that ive been trying out in NU. The latter is pretty gimmicky

Normal Sprite

Goth is pretty cool as a bulky breaker and sometimes a sweeper when run with Competitive. Its got a nice HP stat and nice coverage so I like running it with AV, though Ive seen some people run Specs or Scarf on this thing, which works too.

Normal Sprite

This one's a bit weird, because it doesn't have a very good ability. Its stats and coverage are quite underrated and Ive got quite a few surprise Turn 1 kill with this thing. This is the set I run:
Octillery @ Choice Specs
Ability: Suction Cups
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam

This is the gimmicky one. Very cool shiny btw.
Shiny Sprite

Thievul @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Parting Shot
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic

I run it with Pincurchin, obviously with Electric Seed, especially when it boosts defense, which is a plus imo. It also gets unburden, so thats cool if it doesnt outspeed the whole opposing team already. And Parting Shot and Nasty Plot are always nice. However, even with a nice 600 SpA stat after Nasty Plot, it can't do so much. Obviously its possible to change parting shot into something like grass knot but that move basically only works on stonjourner, which doesnt live a dark pulse anyway

Last edited:
Reactions: zS

ishtar

temper madness with an even extreme
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
PU Leader
Hi. With the imminency of Gen 8 PU and lots of playing around with different mons through the tiers, we finally seem to have somewhat of a grasp of what to expect with this lil tier. Ive been playing around a fair bit with some stuff Ive found interesting as well as following this wonderful thread w creative ideas, so now Ill do my part and share some of what Ive found decent! (Disclaimer: Surely mons like Rotom-Fan, Sneasel and even Qwil might not make it but thats part of the fun w Speculative PU).

Sneasel @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Swords Dance

Sneasel is an absolute beast in PU able to function as one of the best cleaners in the tier with a speed tier and access to priority that will even break through Pokemon such as Qwil, Silvally-Water and several Ice and Dark-resists thanks to its access to Knock Off. Im still optimist on this mon staying in the tier, but if you havent tried Sneasel in PU you might be missing out. Its incredibly good and consistent. Really sucks it cant make use of a Band set as efficiently as in previous Gens due to the lack of Pursuit, but this mon is surprisingly good at forcing shit out and being able to set up despite its low defenses. Spikes are naturally great alongside it.

Hakamo-o @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Drain Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Specs Jigglypuff has really made me hate Dubwool and I think its no surprise to anyone whos played this tier that the somehow fast sheep can be a huge nuisance to players who dont really expect it to simply start bopping after one turn of Cotton Guard thanks to Body Press. I actually find Dubwool a bit oppresive due to the low amount of Fighting-types (also some Ghost-types seem really unexplored), which is why I decided to bring back a Gen 7 mon that to me seemed really divisive despite its good utility and decent success at tour level.

In Gen 8, Hakamo-o does what it does best and thats phase out shit, be a huge defensive nuisance as well as counter some of the most powerful sweepers in the tier. Most of PUs setup seems to be physical sweepers: Different Silvally formes, Dubwool, Throh, Sneasel, etc, which means that Hakas typing is perfect for eating those overpowered Multi Attacks as well as forcing out evil sheeps. Its also ridiculously good with Spikes as usual, and this spread allows you to take 2 +3 Body Press from Dubwool and force it out. You wont be beating it anytime soon, but having the ability to stop some of the most annoying sweepers is definitely a huge perk in this tier. Youre still eating hits from Special Attackers like Raichu, Manectric, even Glaceon and Rotom-Fan, while chipping down teams really well. There arent many Fairies in the tier which is also incredibly good for it so go try Haka out! (Also lmk if you feel like you need Speed investment for something, I personally didnt find in particular id want to outspeed).

Silvally @ Choice Scarf
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Multi-Attack
- U-turn / Parting Shot
- Surf
- Explosion

When people think of Silvally nowadays they usually think of SDing and destroying everything with Multi Attack, or Defogging with it but I found myself having a bit of trouble with the amount of possible Scarfers in the tier, which led me to think of this Pokemon. Silvally-Normal doesnt function like any other Silvally in the sense that it can make use of an item. This really switches things up for obvious reasons, and Silv is able to function as a great revenge killer thanks to the low amount of Fighting-types, possible coverage options as well as the new and more powerful Multi-Attack. I feel like youre kinda forced to run mixed but Surf is great for allowing you to break through common Normal-resists like Stonjourner, Fisk-Galar. Id even consider Flamethrower later on if people utilize mons like Gourg a lot, but Explosion is just such a great nuke even on resists so that does a p good job for now. Some other sets like Band and SD are definitely worth a try with Silvally-Normal. Its more than decent bulk is also really nice for eating hits! Go revenge kill all other Silvally formes w this and lmk what you think.

Type: Null @ Eviolite
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Crush Claw
- U-turn
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Normal-types seem to have a really good time in this tier, and Type: Null does what it does best by being a great defensive pivot. Crush Claw isnt even that bad.

Beheeyem @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Analytic
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Future Sight
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Nasty Plot / Teleport

Ive been wanting Future Sight Behee to be a thing since Gen 7 since I felt like the mon was really close to actually being decent. Gen 8 finally gave it something to nuke most of the tier (it p much nuked Gen 7 PU anyway). Base 125 + Analytic + Future Sight is incredibly powerful, and Im sure you could make use of Specs and LO sets if you dont really care about Behees longevity. The Speed is for uninvested Type:Null. Losing Signal Beam isnt as huge as it might seem since Tbolt is still incredibly powerful vs. Dark-types, but definitely a step down from what the GOD BEEHEYEM couldve been in this tier. I havent played around with this mon as much but in terms of damage output theres no way that it can dissapoint.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8nu-1062880175
Hakamo-o being an absolute beast countering Silv-Water, Throh and Flareon as well as chipping the whole team. Sneasel and Silvally also put on a lot of pressure due to natural high speed and damage output.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8customgame-1061880862
This wasnt the best Behee game since I hadnt optimized the set at all, but Type:Null is able to counter most of the team.

Shoutout to the people who Ive battled to figure out some of these sets and whove helped me. Hope you get some cool ideas out of this!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)