Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

I can't really blame GF for doing so, after all, business and marketing aren't about fairness, and "get as much money for as little effort as you can get away with" is a sadly recurring trend in modern gaming industry, as anyone who is into AAA gaming knows by now.
See this? don't do that
This is the attitude that let to not only companies like EA preying on their costumers, not only companies feeling confident enough to use actual child slavery ( check you chocolates! ), not just to wars for rare minerals, but to mass extinctions, to the endangerment of the frigging planet

don't be okay with corporate greed!

not on your entertainment

not on your food

not on your clothes

not on your anything

do not be okay with corporate greed!

Last edited:
See this? don't do that
This is the attitude that let to not only companies like EA preying on their costumers, not only companies feeling confident enough to use actual child slavery ( check you chocolates! ), not just to wars for rare minerals, but to mass extinctions, to the endangerment of the frigging planet

don't be okay with corporate greed!

not on your entertainment

not on your food

not on your clothes

not on your anything

do not be okay with corporate greed!
Let me do a reality check for you sir.

Marketing isn't fair. Ethic doesn't exist in marketing.

Any company has to look for their best way to get money, or all they get is get eaten alive by their competitors.

As much as I as well hate how it has become and how bad AAA industry has become, I don't blame companyes for trying. In same way I don't blame a barman for increasing the prices if the competition also increases them, or a country for increasing petrol prices when everyone else does this.

I'd love to live in a fairy tale planet, but it's not the case. Real world is unfair and unethic.

Reality is not Pokemon's world, they don't randomly give you the best technology for free for the sake of it.

Every business company is free to do what they want, and if people are stupid enough to let them get away with it, it means the company isn't stupid, but people are.
(edit: and honestly, that people in general are stupid and easy to manipulate isn't something new, if you only found out by the GameFreak issues, I send you back to the first line)

Last edited:
Let me do a reality check for you sir.

Marketing isn't fair. Ethic doesn't exist in marketing.

Any company has to look for their best way to get money, or all they get is get eaten alive by their competitors.

As much as I as well hate how it has become and how bad AAA industry has become, I don't blame companyes for trying. In same way I don't blame a barman for increasing the prices if the competition also increases them, or a country for increasing petrol prices when everyone else does this.

I'd love to live in a fairy tale planet, but it's not the case. Real world is unfair and unethic.

Reality is not Pokemon's world, they don't randomly give you the best technology for free for the sake of it.

Every business company is free to do what they want, and if people are stupid enough to let them get away with it, it means the company isn't stupid, but people are.
Then let me give you a reality check

as long as people are okay with companies gouging them nothing is gonna change, if you just lay down and take it saying "oh well that's just the way things are i guess" things will just keep getting more and more deteriorated

companies don't change course unless people force them to do so which can not only be done but has been done before

an attitude that simply accepts abusive business practices hurts everyone and those who are acting that way are hurting everyone
not just n this case but in every case

don't
be
okay
with
corporate
greed

And completely unannounced, this is not a drill! Star and Ribbon sweets are now available!

"The Wild Area Event has now shifted in Pokémon Sword & Shield. With this, Alcremie has left the boosted raids while Coalossal, Flapple, Lapras & Appletun remain. However, joining them is high ranking Milcery but some of these Milcery have the ability to evolve into Alcremie and have the capability of Gigantamaxing. With this, the special Ribbon and Star Sweets are also now available for players as rewards for defeating the Milcery raids. This allows for any of the 63 forms of Alcremie to now be available as Gigantamax Variants. "
~Serebii
Oh, and it turns out this is going on until the 16th.

And because Pokémon news just can't stop today, we've got another mystery gift code... though a bit of a meh one. G1GAGRANF1NALE - 10 Heal Balls

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
But it's hard to figure out a way to fuck up THAT bad that they would drive away kids.
The cynical side of me wants to joke that if there's a way, GF will find it.

So as always with gamefreaks, couple steps forward but not TOO forward.
And a couple of steps back. To GF "progress" is more like dancing the tango then walking forward.

And completely unannounced, this is not a drill! Star and Ribbon sweets are now available!
You mean they weren't already? Geez, GF, was that really needed? I guess I'll try getting a few though honestly I have my Berry Sweet Rainbow Swirl and I'm good with that one.

This refers to everything: I am sorry if I sounded too abrasive in my response, I know where you stand from your reaction to the news a few pages ago and I'm usually pretty good at bantering but the stark contrast of feelings from the DLC announcement to this (and the general defeatist attitude I see around) got the better of me.
Don't worry about it, we're just having a friendly conversation as two fans with "different" viewpoints. Different abbreviated because I think we actually both in agreement about the whole situation but we're approaching it from different aspects. I think we can all agree the general thing we want can be summed up as such: GF should be doing better with consumer engagement & value equaling cost.

The way I do things is that I consider some things as a constant (in this case, GF aren't going to change the $16 a year), so I'm trying to point out ways for GF could give us stuff that we would consider worth that value while also it not being too work intensive. Yes, I understand they don't need to do a damn thing and they'll probably make bank. But I don't feel I added anything without at least spit-balling some ideas within what I at least believe to be reasonable limits. GF is sticking with $16 a year and probably don't want to do much work cause they know it'll sell, so why not try to earn some playerbase "trust" back by adding on what I think are easy things to implement such as the Dream World. Another thought I also had was, since Bank was pretty much the Pokemon Box Ruby & Sapphire, why not have HOME be like My Pokemon Ranch? They could even bring Hayley back as the host of HOME like they did with Brigette being the host of Bank (thus giving HOME some personality).

I guess that success fatigue could also be mitigated by a change of top management but that's not happening, given the results.
I want to see what Ohmori does once Masuda fully steps back. I'm hoping the problems are mainly Masuda and his oddball decisions and maybe Ohmori will start directing the games toward something at least admirable. Also them giving the next games a few years in the development cycle would probably really help and have them cut corners less.

Worldie is right, though: their ambition has been buried by years of financial galore
If by that you mean they don't learn any lessons because they always made a lot of money, then I agree.

But if you're saying they're cutting corners because they know they'll make a lot money I actually don't think that's the case. I more put that toward GF being overly ambitious, impatient, and not great programmers. Oh yeah, they had this grand vision, but that vision would take some time to setup properly which is BORING so better rush on through all that to get to the good stuff! Oh, huh, actually putting their vision down in code is requiring a lot of programming work, let's simplify & brute force a few things that'll have it take up a lot of memory but we've got the space for it... what do you mean there's not enough room for all the Pokemon? Etc..

And sadly with Sword & Shield being the top selling Switch game last year & the highest selling Pokemon game of recent generations they still won't learn any lesson.

Late stage capitalism really be hitting now huh
Well SwSh just had them be the villains so kind of hard to ignore. Rose probably would agree with charging $16 for HOME.

Is phantom a mistranslation of mythical, or is it a specific hint that the Pokemon is ghost type?

We've only had two ghost type mythicals so far, and both Hoopa and Marshadow were among the more interesting mythicals. Hopefully this one won't buck the trend.

Is phantom a mistranslation of mythical, or is it a specific hint that the Pokemon is ghost type?

We've only had two ghost type mythicals so far, and both Hoopa and Marshadow were among the more interesting mythicals. Hopefully this one won't buck the trend.
Japan has always called mythical pokemon 幻のポケモン which so far as I know can be translated as Phantom, Illusory, Mirage, etc I've seen translations akin to all of those over the years

Do movies from Pokemon/GF eventually become worldwide or accessible somewhere? I missed bunch of them. Just asking.
They're always released on DVD/BR but if you mean digitally I think Netflix has all of them up to the CGI Mewtwo movie. And they're all available for purchase on itunes, google play, amazon, etc.
If you mean digitally and free then I think occasionally Pokemon's "Pokemon TV" streaming app but I dunno how good that is or how frequent.

MidnightMawile

Formerly MightyNico
They're always released on DVD/BR but if you mean digitally I think Netflix has all of them up to the CGI Mewtwo movie. And they're all available for purchase on itunes, google play, amazon, etc.
If you mean digitally and free then I think occasionally Pokemon's "Pokemon TV" streaming app but I dunno how good that is or how frequent.
OH! They are? That's a nice thing. I figured that you could only watch this at special events, but no. Tyvm!~

OH! They are? That's a nice thing. I figured that you could only watch this at special events, but no. Tyvm!~
Oh yeah the movies are never limited time things. You can go to a store and find most of the old ones even now, I think; the first 4 movies in particular are often sold in a 4 movie set for like $10 at this point. And of course Amazon has 'em all

The english versions usually come out about 6 months or so after Japan gets them and then it'll take a little more time for them to be put on services/dvd, but they'll get there eventually.

MidnightMawile

Formerly MightyNico
Oh yeah the movies are never limited time things. You can go to a store and find most of the old ones even now, I think; the first 4 movies in particular are often sold in a 4 movie set for like $10 at this point.

The english versions usually come out about 6 months or so after Japan gets them and then it'll take a little more time for them to be put on services/dvd, but they'll get there eventually.
Oh oki! Tyvm for your help!

Reactions: R_N
Just a question unrelated to the debate over the ethics of GameFreak but do we know yet when Home is coming out? I know it's supposed to be February but seems like they're being deliberately ambiguous when it comes to an actual date (unless of course there is one and I've just missed it). I feel like at this point since it's so close they could at least have the decency to provide it. They were surprisingly considerate in actually telling us point blank that a Mythical would be revealed on Pokemon Day, given how opaque they usually are with reveals.

Just a question unrelated to the debate over the ethics of GameFreak but do we know yet when Home is coming out? I know it's supposed to be February but seems like they're being deliberately ambiguous when it comes to an actual date (unless of course there is one and I've just missed it). I feel like at this point since it's so close they could at least have the decency to provide it. They were surprisingly considerate in actually telling us point blank that a Mythical would be revealed on Pokemon Day, given how opaque they usually are with reveals.
All they said is what's on the website: February

Kurona noticed that the gift to celebrate Home was dated the 7th, but we have no idea.

I can only assume there are a lot of technical complexities with Home, given the weird ambiguity with release dates this close to release and the fact that Go isn't supported right away.

I can only assume there are a lot of technical complexities with Home, given the weird ambiguity with release dates this close to release and the fact that Go isn't supported right away.
This part fascinates me because we've had unused icons and text strings showing they've wanted Go transfers to happen since Sun & Moon:
Thank you for playing Pokémon GO! Please pick up your gift from the deliveryman in any Pokémon Center.
Thank you for playing Pokémon GO! You have already picked up your gift from the deliveryman.
"Pokémon GO" is also listed in the location table as both a special location (Like "a link trade", "the Kanto region", etc.) at 0x753C, and as a gift location (Like "a faraway place", "GAME FREAK", etc.) at 0x9C94.

The Icon would eventually get used in Let's Go, albeit spruced up a lot

And then also the fact that Go communication was already crossed by letting Go directly communicate with Let's Go, Home launches with Let's Go compatability and they announced Home with Go support almost a year ago. I really wonder what happened here.

And then also the fact that Go communication was already crossed by letting Go directly communicate with Let's Go, Home launches with Let's Go compatability and they announced Home with Go support almost a year ago. I really wonder what happened here.
I have the guess that they havent yet decided how Pokemon transferred from Go should behave.

In Let's Go, you get to just catch them again in the park and their stats get rolled on the fly (though the IVs are somewhat based on their IVs in Go).

However, there's a flock of issues when it comes to bank:
- What ability to give them? (I'm assuming they'll go with guaranteed HA like for virtual console pokemon)
- How to decide their IVs? (In this case I'm betting on the standard 3x31 with others random, though same algorhytm of Let's Go could be used)
- What level are they meant to be?
- Do they carry over any moveset or are just rolled as if they are standard pokemon just caught in the latest gen?
- Who is going to be their OT?

I assume they are sorting out the details of how the transfer is actually going to work, hence why not giving them right away.

I have the guess that they havent yet decided how Pokemon transferred from Go should behave.

In Let's Go, you get to just catch them again in the park and their stats get rolled on the fly (though the IVs are somewhat based on their IVs in Go).

However, there's a flock of issues when it comes to bank:
- What ability to give them? (I'm assuming they'll go with guaranteed HA like for virtual console pokemon)
- How to decide their IVs? (In this case I'm betting on the standard 3x31 with others random, though same algorhytm of Let's Go could be used)
- What level are they meant to be?
- Do they carry over any moveset or are just rolled as if they are standard pokemon just caught in the latest gen?
- Who is going to be their OT?

I assume they are sorting out the details of how the transfer is actually going to work, hence why not giving them right away.
I mean it seems to me the anwer is just do what Let's Go does but without the capture part. Just reroll the pokemon like happens there, apply a Hidden Ability (come to think of it, Meltan & Melmetal only have one ability...), give their standard moveset, and use whatever level algoroithm Let's Go uses. Looking up footage it looks like the game does associate the Go account with the Pokemon, but the act of capture just reassigns the OT to you (but still treats it as traded); if they just assign the OT to, well, Go's trainer I think that sidesteps the issue ntirely.
At that point you just need to figure out how to handle the ID. Seems like the easiest way (I'm assuming Go itself doesnt have ids) is to just generate one and associate it with that trainer like you would any game.

It just...really seems like a lot of the leg work is done here? Not effortless, nothing in programming ever is, but they probably had to do more work to iron out how Let's Go will function on transfer to Home than they would for Go specifically. Or the VC titles, for that matter.

Unless, of course, they decide to just reinvent the wheel again.

The only thing I can think of is that Go needs an update on its end, which puts it in Niantic's court. I'm not sure what specifically, but maybe app-to-app stuff causes issues that wasn't in place for app-to-switch or they want Niantic to resolve the ID issue or something of the sort. Or in the "reinvent the wheel" theory they're just shoving that on them.

Don't worry about it, we're just having a friendly conversation as two fans with "different" viewpoints. Different abbreviated because I think we actually both in agreement about the whole situation but we're approaching it from different aspects. I think we can all agree the general thing we want can be summed up as such: GF should be doing better with consumer engagement & value equaling cost.

The way I do things is that I consider some things as a constant (in this case, GF aren't going to change the $16 a year), so I'm trying to point out ways for GF could give us stuff that we would consider worth that value while also it not being too work intensive. Yes, I understand they don't need to do a damn thing and they'll probably make bank. But I don't feel I added anything without at least spit-balling some ideas within what I at least believe to be reasonable limits. GF is sticking with $16 a year and probably don't want to do much work cause they know it'll sell, so why not try to earn some playerbase "trust" back by adding on what I think are easy things to implement such as the Dream World. Another thought I also had was, since Bank was pretty much the Pokemon Box Ruby & Sapphire, why not have HOME be like My Pokemon Ranch? They could even bring Hayley back as the host of HOME like they did with Brigette being the host of Bank (thus giving HOME some personality).
All their development is permeated by an astounding lack of ambition in delivering anything that the user would find surprising or a good bang for your buck, if you will. There has been a lack of developmental experimentation and improvement that would have eaten alive any other IP since at least the release of XY. But they rest on fat laurels. And, when you deep dive into the data and the details like I've been doing, torturing myself in the last months, is when you realize there is little hope.

This is a matter of principles above all, but 16 USD is ridiculous no matter what. Judging by estimates I've seen around, Pokemon data is incredibly simple, and to store all 6000 Pokemon in Jail, you would need little north of 2 MBs. 2MBs! All extra added features are moot as an argument because they're not added features, they're features that were stripped from the game and readded behind a paywall. And yes, Jail is a paywall. No matter how you spin it with technicalities.

They are applying a mobile game model. "Look, you can have the base minimal features for free. However, here's the good version of it, with 200 times (literally) the space available"

The 16 USD pricetag is just a little trick to make even more money at absurd margins. And there is no "they're trying compatibility, or doing new things" excuse. All that is included in Jail is a sum of Gen 7 ingame functions + bank. They're not Bungie, who's experimenting with cross savings across platform, or project X Cloud. The amount of work for them is likely comparable to what they're doing with bank and they're asking three times the price: they know longtime fans more or less need the feature and they're milking us. Plain and simple.

The pricetag is as ridiculous as needing to buy a different Expansion pass if you have both games. The dual game model is thoroughly outdated until they do some major disruption, but you know what let's double the expansions' price for people that have already committed 120 USD because why not.

All you suggest would be nice and fun but the sad reality is that there's nobody that internally looks at the game and strive to deliver quality for fair money or, if there are, they're hampered by higher-ups. It's the same situation that occurred between Bungie and Activision before they split. It would be fair cost wise, of course, and also a neat treat for the player base, but since it's not necessary why deliver it?

The whole situation also confirms, once and for all and again, that ShSw were in fact pushed for the holiday release, and the overwhelming majority fell for it and is ok with it: I've finally seen how trading with friends work in game now, and any other compatibility feature in a game in the neighborhood of that would have the player base putting the HQ on fire. We're not, so they don't care.

I know it's depressing, I know it's narrow-minded but until 99% will put up with it, we're lame ducks hoping for a good roll of the dice in terms of Pokemon design, which is objectively the only thing they need to deliver at least decently.

Rapti is right, one thing is to face the reality of bottom line first, one other is to swallow the pill no matter the sourness. Things can be changed and have been.
I want to see what Ohmori does once Masuda fully steps back. I'm hoping the problems are mainly Masuda and his oddball decisions and maybe Ohmori will start directing the games toward something at least admirable. Also them giving the next games a few years in the development cycle would probably really help and have them cut corners less.
Not as confident. The higher-up structure is probably more or less set in both people and, most importantly, values, for the next few years. If you look not only to GF, but to Nintendo as well, recent news aren't encouraging (both the price model of Mario Kart mobile and the recent court case about refunds in Germany).

What needs to happen is, like with Josh Hamrik with Destiny 2, someone from below BoD who is really passionate about the games gains some ground, a decent position and showcase the value of consumer satisfaction. Doubt Ohmori fits the description, that's all I'm saying.
If by that you mean they don't learn any lessons because they always made a lot of money, then I agree.

But if you're saying they're cutting corners because they know they'll make a lot money I actually don't think that's the case. I more put that toward GF being overly ambitious, impatient, and not great programmers. Oh yeah, they had this grand vision, but that vision would take some time to setup properly which is BORING so better rush on through all that to get to the good stuff! Oh, huh, actually putting their vision down in code is requiring a lot of programming work, let's simplify & brute force a few things that'll have it take up a lot of memory but we've got the space for it... what do you mean there's not enough room for all the Pokemon? Etc..

And sadly with Sword & Shield being the top selling Switch game last year & the highest selling Pokemon game of recent generations they still won't learn any lesson.
I honestly think you're unnecessarily splitting hairs here in search of a silver lining (which is totally understandable, to be fair).
Not learning any lessons and cutting corners are, in my opinion, strongly correlated - if anything, you could argue for causality of the former that leads to the latter: I make heaps of money, I keep making it, I release something more lackadaisical, I still make it, I don't learn anything and I don't have significant backlash --> if I'm required to do so, I'll keep cutting corners until I'll be caught red handed.

And this spirals further and further until we end up where we are today. Call me cynical, call me disillusioned, but I haven't seen anything in terms of this "grand vision" in a long time (at least since B2W2) so I'll assume there is no grand vision at all (and yes, DLCs look good but a couple of new mons and more regional variants are no "grand vision").

TLDR: if there were a grand vision, it wouldn't be unfathomable to implement at least a sliver of it, even in the face of all the greed in the world.

Last edited:
"Later this month". Sounds like it will be closer towards the middle or end of the month. At this point I believe they probably don't know themselves. Probably having difficultly getting it to work with phones and two different consoles. Personally, I think they should've dropped the mobile app entirely. Have everything done within the Switch. Just adds too much complexity for no real gain.

"Later this month". Sounds like it will be closer towards the middle or end of the month. At this point I believe they probably don't know themselves. Probably having difficultly getting it to work with phones and two different consoles. Personally, I think they should've dropped the mobile app entirely. Have everything done within the Switch. Just adds too much complexity for no real gain.
I think the phone app is actually a good thing... in concept. It allows for a lot of convenience; not just when you're out of the house, but also while actually using the game. For instance, right now if I'm playing Ultra Sun and I want to check, say, which Love Ball Pokémon I have; that collection is so large that I don't keep it in Ultra Sun myself. So what I have to do is save, switch off the game, go into Bank and all its connecting and loading, go to my Love Ball collection, confirm what I have, and then switch Bank off and go back into Ultra Sun. Multiply that many times over for other collections like Legendaries or Vivillon or Living Dexes or just finding a specific Pokémon in general. By having the app also available on a separate platform, I'm able to just go into it while playing the game without having to shut either one down; making it a lot more convenient, and for that added feature I'm happy to wait a little longer. ... also, it possibly means that I can pay for Home with iTunes cards I get for christmas from family who don't know what to get me that I don't use on anything else; so that's pretty neat too.

What I'm not happy about though is the locking of certain features like Mystery Gift behind the Phone version. And it mystifies me, honestly -- usually when there's a weird decision like this that just inconveniences the player, an answer can often be found in "because it makes more money for the company". But this one's just baffling -- are you expecting to be able to sell phones through locking Mystery Gifts behind them?? Do you think it'll make it more likely that someone will click on Pokémon Go or Masters if they're on their phones to begin with? What's the reasoning behind this?

The more I think about it the more I think it will be some galaxy brain reasoning of "well, you are already on the switch, which has the actual games. So you can just use that instead : )" maybe a side of "you would need wi-fi to use those services, and we wouldnt' want to make you pay"

Feels juuuust the right amount of ignorance of gamefreak's part that I could believe they'll say as such in an interview at some point

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)