Metagame Sword and Shield CAP Metagame Discussion

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sword and Shield CAP Metagame Discussion

Welcome to Gen 8! Use this thread to discuss anything relating to the SS CAP metagame, from potential cores you want to try to team builds you think will be effective. If its related to the SS CAP Metagame, chances are this is a good place to post it. Because of the changes this generation, there is a ton of things for us to discuss about the metagame. Some potential topics include dynamaxing CAPs, CAPs performing in a lower power setting than Gen 7, and potential uses for new items, such as Heavy Duty Boots.

I'd also like to note that Gen 8 CAP is now a ladderable format on PS!, so join us on the server and in the CAP room to explore the new gen!

SwSh is a fun meta, here's some stuff I've been having fun with.

Cawmodore @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Drain Punch
- Acrobatics
- Bullet Punch
So we all know what Cawmadore does. It clicks Belly Drum and it sweeps if there are none of the hard stops to it on the opposing team right? Well with Dynamax in the new Meta, Cawm can break through a lot of its old counters whilst getting Speed and Attack boosts thanks to Max Air Stream and Max Knuckle respectively, making it much harder to stop than in previous generations. As long as Dynamax is with us I think Cawmadore is a legitimate threat and not just something you use to get past the low ladder.

Hatterene-Gmax (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mystical Fire
- Trick Room

Copperajah-Gmax @ Life Orb
Ability: Heavy Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Heat Crash
- Power Whip
- Rock Slide
There are definitely better spreads for these lol.

Another generation of CAP, more Trick Room abusers to try out. Both of these mons are pretty strong with the downside of being absurdly slow, which is not a downside really with Fidgit around. With Trick Room losing most of its usual abusers I've been testing out a lot of the newer mons to find something to replace them and have found pretty good success with these 2. Both use G-Max incredibly well and offer some form of utility in either being a secondary setter or additional Hazards. These may come to be the face of Gen8 TR builds. Other mons which are cool on TR are Dracovish and Cursola but I haven't had as much success with either of those as I have with these 2.

Last edited:
Figure i might as well give my ten cents on a mon that has been treating me well
Image result for jumbao

Jumbao @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Solar Beam
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Synthesis

Offensive jumbao is goooooood atm. Heatran is gone, as is most decent flying types. Drought is pretty good as a anti-meta tool atm, with all the rain, Barraskewdas and Dracovishs running amuck.

252+ Atk Choice Band Strong Jaw Dracovish Fishious Rend vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jumbao in Sun: 135-160 (41.5 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

At best, Draco 2HKOs with Band and SR up, but Jumbao also outspeeds and heals it off pretty easy. It's definitely missing HP ground and Flame Burst, especially with Aegislash and Corviknight in the meta (which you NEED a counter for if using this jumb). A very fun mon either way rn. Highly recommend

With the buffs on Rapid Spin, may as well discuss the best CAP spinner ATM

Image result for colossoil

Colossoil @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Facade

I don't think anyone would be surprised that Colossoil faired well this gen. Currently, Colo has, one of, if not the strongest Knock Off in the game atm--this coupled with it's STAB eq make it pretty difficult to switch into. But this is nothing new. Rapid Spin, now with a passable 50 BP and a speed boost putting this already decently fast mon (95 Spe) makes this thing a beast. When at +1, Colo basically becomes scarfed without being choiced-limiting its counters to fairly few.

As far as being a legit spinner, Colo still aint bad. It has mixed matchups with ST settlers, beating Exca, TTar, Mew, and Mollusk--though has a bit of issues with Tomo, Snael and Kommo. However, none of these really like switching into Knock Offs. As well, Colo is pretty hard to spin block. No Ghosts in the current meta can reliably switch in to either of Colo's STAB moves Calcs below.

252 Atk Guts Colossoil Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Aegislash: 145-172 (71 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Guts Colossoil Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Jellicent: 426-504 (105.4 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Guts Colossoil Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Eviolite Corsola-Galar: 240-284 (74 - 87.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The land whale is good folks. That is all

With dynamax gone we have a much more stable meta that I've been playing quite a lot of so just gonna drop a few thoughts on things I've had success with.

:flareon::sylveon::vaporeon:
Somehow these 3 have a niche in an OU based metagame. Crazy. Flareon and Sylveon are both good answers to the strong fairies in the meta, namely Jumbao and Clefable. Whilst Flareon is able to soft check G-Darm, Sylveon offers a better check to Hydreigon and Dragapult. Both fit onto the common balance builds that are super common right now and offer teammates such as Seismitoad, Equilibra, and Rotom-H recovery with their Wishes. Vaporeon, on the other hand, also offers Wish support whilst also being a Water Immunity, a role which is almost mandatory with Dracovish in the metagame. It is also a solid answer to G-Darm. My sample size of games is fairly low so I may be off base but I do think these have a niche in the meta.

:clefable::jumbao:
The fairies. Both of these Pokemon are extremely potent wallbreakers with a Life Orb with very few checks. Whilst Jumbao has the downside of being checked by Aegislash and Corviknight which Clefable does not, it makes up for it by having a much better Speed tier and being considerably stronger. Anyone who has played gen8 OU knows how much of a nuisance Life Orb Clefable is, its coverage and respectable strength leave it with very few defensive answers.

:equilibra::tomohawk::arghonaut:
Aside from Jumbao I believe these are the strongest mons CAP has to offer to the metagame. Equilibra does what it has always done which is click Doom Desire. Most teams steel resists lack recovery, Pokemon such as Seismitoad and Rotom-H get worn down pretty quickly by repeated Doom Desires which makes Equilibra extremely potent. Tomohawk is a pretty strong, bulky attacker with great utility options. Being able to soft check G-Darm, Equilibra, and Hydreigon as well as hard wall Excadrill whilst offering Intimidate and Rapid Spin support make it a great option for balance teams. Arghonaut, on the other hand, is CAPs best answer to G-Darm, hard walling the standard sets and even being able to use it to set up spikes.

I'm enjoying this meta a lot, it's certainly a lot different to USM and takes some getting used to but I'm really liking it so far.

I've been playing CAP a little lately, and I think that Dugtrio is very problematic within the current metagame.

Dugtrio synergizes incredibly well with offensive Fairy-types like Jumbao, Kerfluffle, and Clefable, as it's able to trap Mollux; the single best check to these Pokemon. In particular, I think that Dugtrio is problematic alongside Kerfluffle. It can trap so many more Pokemon reliably with Parting Shot, such as Toxapex and specially defensive Clefable, and Kerfluffle's just able to create opportunities for it very easily, so you either have to sack something to Kerfluffle, or risk having it get trapped by Dugtrio. What I'm essentially trying to say is that Dugtrio requires very little skill to use effectively, and turns the metagame into a stale mirror matchup metagame that lacks good counterplay to offensive Fairy-types; it all revolves around who gets to trap the Fairy-type check first, be it Mollux, Clefable, Equilibra, or Toxapex.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

This is definitely the best Dugtrio set right now, mostly because it's also able to trap opposing Kerfluffle.

This is unrelated to Dugtrio, but Aegislash isn't a good Jumbao check; run Shadow Ball.

Let's talk a bit of a type of Pokémon that does very well in the current metagame :
Life orb + Coverage

:clefable: :jumbao: :pyroak: :dragapult: :cyclohm: :stratagem: :krillowatt:

All these pokémon are the main abusers of life orb + coverage, as they are bulky/fast enough to pretty much always put in work with their very good coverage. Along with some chip damage on everything in the opposite team (hazards basically), they can usually cleanly sweep. I will try to break down their respective strenghts and weaknesses here.

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Moonlight
:clefable:
Clefable is the most common, and one of the most dangerous coverage abusers in the metagame. While fairy + fire is one of the most powerful offensive combinations, electric provides it the ability to threaten a lot of checks (Pex, Snaelstrom, Gyarados, Volkraken). Mold breaker is one of the best overall abilities, preventing it from being worn down by hazards and status and making Moonlight fully useful.
Checks : :mollux: :pyroak: :rotom-heat::clefable: (the spdef one) ( :toxtricity: :plasmanta: :crucibelle: )
Flaws : It's pretty slow and surprisingly frail compared to the defensive variants. Also, but it's the case for every pokémon in this list, it has no other use than hitting.

Jumbao @ Life Orb
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Synthesis
:Jumbao:
Jumbao is another strong life orb abuser. It also abuses the very good fairy type along with grass and fighting. It's very fast and pretty bulky with a solid recovery (66%) and the ability to get up sun.
Checks : :mollux: :toxapex: :corviknight: :kitsunoh: :pyroak: :aegislash: ( :crucibelle: :plasmanta: :toxtricity: )
Flaws : Its coverage is lacking after it lost its fire move. Also any poison type (which are pretty common) can wall it easily. I see it falling in viability after Dugtrio's gone, but still a solid pick.

Krilowatt @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Surf / Volt Switch
- Earth Power / Volt Switch
:krillowatt:
Krilowatt has always been a nightmare to switch into. Combine that with Magic guard, a very good bulk and a lot of speed and you have the perfect life orb abuser.
Checks : :ferrothorn: :pyroak: :clefable: (yup) (some more mons can take hits and offensively check it, but I'm talking about reliable and stable checks)
Flaws : Lack of recovery. Also it can get trapped by Dugtrio for now, which almost invalidates it.

Stratagem @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Paleo Wave
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball / Earth Power
- Dazzling Gleam / Earth Power
:stratagem:
Stratagem is a bit slept on right now imo. It's the fastest coverage abuser, while still having good firepower. This set is really hard to switch into while being outsped by very few mons.
Checks : :arghonaut: (to an extent) :revenankh: :clefable:
Flaws : It's very frail, therefore weak to priorities. It doesn't recover and takes damage from the life orb, so it's easily worn down if played uncarefully.

Pyroak @ Life Orb
Ability: White Smoke
EVs: 44 HP / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Earth Power
:pyroak:
We're now entering the "nicher" picks. Pyroak makes great use of its good coverage with this set. It has a very solid bulk to the point at which we can call it a defensive mon. Also it's pretty unpredictable.
Checks : :clefable: :rotom-heat: :pajantom: :hydreigon: :pyroak: :mandibuzz: :snaelstrom: :tomohawk: :toxapex:
Flaws : It lacks strenght, is weak to rocks and to toxic.

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Timid / Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
:dragapult:
Dragapult is the fastest non-scarf mon in the metagame. Combine this with a good coverage and the godlike ghost stab, and you get a very solid life orb user.
Checks : :clefable: :sylveon: :mollux: :bisharp: :colossoil: :mandibuzz: (to an extent) :tyranitar:
Flaws : It lacks power and is quickly worn down by life orb + status + hazards.

Cyclohm @ Life Orb
Ability: Static
EVs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Slack Off
:cyclohm:
Cyclohm is another bulky mon with recovery and good coverage (also it's surprisingly powerful). It just has a different typing and a slightly different coverage.
Checks : :mollux: :clefable: :krillowatt: :pyroak: :rotom-heat: :sylveon:
Flaws : Lack of speed, meh defensive typing.

In my experience with CAP, the best core in CAP right now is :Mollux: + :Dugtrio: + :Jumbao:
Note: Jumbao can be replaced by other fairy types like Kerfluffle and Clefable

Mollux walls offensive fairy pressure while providing hazard support like Stealth Rocks or Toxic Spikes.
Due to the lack of Flame burst and HP Ground, Jumbao gets wrecked by Mollux, and steel types that are not weak to fighting. Jumbao also handles the rock and ground types Mollux is afraid of and even psychic types if it runs shadow ball.
Dugtrio traps and removes Jumbao's defensive checks while helping Mollux by hitting rock types with EQ or reversal and psychic types with sucker punch.

The other funny thing about this core, is that they counter each other in a rock paper scissors fashion.
Mollux wrecks Jumbao and most offensive fairies but gets trapped by Dugtrio to the point Shed Shell is seen as the go to item.
Dugtrio traps and kills Mollux unless sun is out because if it is, Lava Plume from 0 spa mollux OHKO 0/4 Dug or running fire blast outside of sun which has a 68.8% to OHKO, which can be guaranteed after stealth rocks but this is pretty uncommon.
Jumbao beats Dugtrio (especially trace Jumbao because it traps Dug with its own arena trap) unless your a mad lad who runs sludge wave.

Last edited:
I’d like to mention a set that has honestly become an essential part of my team:

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Trick

Chandelure is a surprisingly good mon in CAP, being a spinblocker and a wallbreaker with a very useful typing. This thing destroys Mollux like nothing else. It blocks Rapid Spin, can break it with Psychic or even just waiting for a SpD drop from Shadow Ball. A scarf set is probably better, unless you’re running a Sticky Web team like me. With webs, it can beat nearly every relevant spinner, and if it gets a Flash Fire boost and/or sun support from Jumbao, Fire Blast becomes absolutely terrifying, even 2HKOing some things that resist it.

Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mollux: 224-264 (56.8 - 67%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Arghonaut: 230-272 (55.5 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Snaelstrom: 214-253 (55.4 - 65.5%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Crucibelle: 166-196 (47 - 55.5%) -- 74.2% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Flash Fire Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 336-396 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
ik chansey got HM01ed, but this seriously shows how ridiculous this thing can be. And I have actually gotten my Chandelure on the field with both Flash Fire and sun before, so this is actually realistic.

quziel

I am the Scientist now
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
So, the first tournament of the gen is over, and because of that I'd like to share some sets that I was able to use, and some that I forgot to bring.

The first is pretty obvious, and is the reason for a lot of my wins, as its a stupidly good mon, CB Aegislash:

Aegislash @ Choice Band
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Shadow Sneak

This is a fairly simple set; its stupid easy to get in thanks to an insanely useful Steel/Ghost typing and base 140 defenses in shield forme, and thanks to Steel/Ghost/Fighting Coverage its also stupid difficult to effectively wall if you predict right. This is one of the easiest Kerfluffle answers to use thanks to its sheer offensive presence, and does a pretty good job vs Jumbao, even if it has to watch out for Shadow Ball. Not a huge amount else to say other than good breaker, good defensive synergy, pair with a secondary fairy check like broken Corvi.

Sigilyph @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock / Stored Power
- Dazzling Gleam / Heat Wave
- Calm Mind
- Roost

Sigil is a really cool wincon atm, being able to pretty easily set up on Equilibra, which is still a super used mon, turn Pex and Argh into essentially lost teamslots, and generally forces out Kerfluffle, while being completely immune to any kind of hazard pressure. This set and the LO set both have pretty compelling reasons for use, and are both def worth trying out.

Aurumoth @ Choice Specs
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Overheat
- Healing Wish

I didn't get to show this one off, but its a fairly cool moth set which maximizes its breaking power and coverage, while offering a unique defensive niche as well, a mon that can resist Excadrill's EQ while not being either Corvi or Hawk. Overheat + Psychic forces most Mollux based cores into a pretty scary guessing game, and Focus Blast means that stuff like Colossoil can't switch in basically ever. The secondary reason I'm using this set is because along with Jumbao its one of the few viable healing wish users, which can be super cool for sweepers like Gyarados who naturally break their own answers.

Also corvi is basically the easiest mon to use in the meta, and covers like 50 different defensive options at once.

Last edited:
I didn't get to show this one off, but its a fairly cool moth set which maximizes its breaking power and coverage, while offering a unique defensive niche as well, a mon that can resist Excadrill's EQ while not being either Corvi or Hawk. Overheat + Psychic forces most Mollux based cores into a pretty scary guessing game, and Focus Blast means that stuff like Colossoil can't switch in basically ever. The secondary reason I'm using this set is because along with Jumbao its one of the few viable healing wish users, which can be super cool for sweepers like Gyarados who naturally break their own answers.
Ive been thinking that since Auro lost QD and TG, it really isn't that good, but this set and write up surprises how its actually really good.
Maybe will give this a shot on one of my teams.

Some Emergency stuff we have to talk about.
Pokemon Home is here which means unreleased Pokemon are finally legal. Here are my initial thoughts on some threats I consider relevant to the meta.

:Kyurem-Black:
After 3 generations of being an Box Art Legendary stuck in OU, Kyurem-Black is back with a vengeance. With access to DD and a physical Ice STAB in Ice Spear (though very inconsistent BP), we have a terrifying sweeper on our hands. There are fairies and steel-types to help curb its onslaught but still this is scary.

Set: Oh dear god it has DD
DD
Fusion Bolt
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Icicle Spear
EV: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Item: LO/Heavy-Duty Boots

Btw, have thought of mixed DD set by changing some EV and replacing Icicle Spear and Outrage for Ice Beam and Earth Power/Focus Blast. I think Earth Power is def worth considering because with Spear+Fusion, you have bolt beam coverage and the only Pokemon who resists that is Rotom Heat. To bad Heat is slammed by Earth Power because Teravolt nullifies Levitate. EP also helps against Equilibra because of Teravolt which is nice. Also, here is a calc of Kyurem-Black against Argonaught (the best Unaware mon in CAP).

252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Arghonaut: 246-290 (59.4 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

:Melmetal:
CAP TR has great setters but not the best abusers which held the play style back a bit. :Melmetal: is here with Double Iron Bash which is a 144 BP (thanks to Iron Fist), multi-hit STAB move with a 51% of flinch. Its coverage is also pretty good with Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Superpower, and EQ. I wish it had Drain Punch and BP, and I think its a bit one of a one trick pony as far as move pool is concerned but Melmetal is still a beast.

:Blastoise:
It has Shell Smash, Spout Spam, and great coverage options. No mega sucks though.
Imagine 135 SPA at +2 with Mega Launcher. Disgusting. Also imagine if Blastoise learned Orign Pulse and had Mega? Also disgusting.
But due to having no mega, I don't think Blast can make it work in CAP. Still a fun toy to play around with.

:Celebi:
Good status clerics are hard to come by in CAP, so this is nice. Plus all the other things Celebi can do.
Celebi and Jirachi makes Jumbao really want to start running shadow ball now.

:Terrakion:
On the one hand, a meta with Dug and fairies seems bad to Terrakion. But it can still be a great scarf user or wallbreaker.

:Keldeo:
:Jumbao: and :Mollux: wreck it. Hard. But its still Keldeo. OU 100% and can handle the ground and steel types like Drill and Equil really well.

:Ninetales-alola:
Aurora Veil Hyper offensive teams are back. This + Kyurem-Black seems like a scary combo. To bad a bunch of Pokemon got Defog.

:Jirachi:
Its Jirachi and its back. Obnoxious 60% rate of flinch and para, solid typing, jack of all trades stats, and nice range of support moves. Even though Clef has Fire Blast, it has to tank an Iron Head, not flinch, and not miss Fire Blast. Same thing with Jumbao though Jumbao usually goes with Focus Blast or Shadow Ball. Kerfluffle will try to kill with Focus Blast or run away with Parting Shot making Jirachi a good check to the fairies with proper prediction. Mollux wants nothing to do with Zen Headbutt but Jirachi has to fear fire moves. Dug still wrecks it unless you run away with U-Turn. Fire Punch does decent against Corviknight.

:Primarina:
Didn't think to much of it, until I discussed it with some other CAP players and faced one. Excellent offensive and defensive typing, a solid 126 SpA, and great coverage in Hydro Pump, Moonblast, Ice Beam, and Psychic that hits a lot of the top tiers for super effective damage. Its speed stat is the same as Clef and its physical bulk isn't that good, but this is a threat teams should be prepared for.

:Venusaur:
I first wrote this off as not a big deal because there is no permanent weather, but after some thought and testing, Venu is quite scary.
First, CAP has way better Sun setters than OU in the form of Jumbao. Sidenote Venu gave me flashbacks to Gen 5 CAP where some would run EQ to beat my :Mollux:. Metagame wise, being a fast poison type gives you a great revenge killer against the fairy types. Finally, it got some big move pool buffs. While it lost HP Fire, it got the weather dependent but otherwise superior Weather Ball. Also, it got EP so it doesn't need to be mixed to wreck :Mollux: anymore as well as some other things.

:Zeraora:
This is a Pokemon that has great potential but had some issues that stopped it from being OU last gen. But in SwSh, it has a lot of promise. First, it has a similar stat distribution to Dragapult. Same HP and Def, but while Drag has 8 more Atk, Zera has 2 more SpA, 5 more SpD, and 1 more point speed. That last bit means Zera is the fasted unboosted Pokemon in the meta. Zera has great coverage options on both sides, can get free switches with Volt Absorb, and has boosting moves in CM and Bulk Up. Based on its design and move pool, I really wanted Zera to be a electric/fighting with Iron Fist as a hidden ability but it does not. Oh well.

PLS Read Edit: OU Council just sent Kyurem-Black and Melmetal to Ubers. Def can understand Kyurem-Black, Melmetal not so much. Which makes me pretty sad because I really wanted to do a lot of testing and abusing these 2 beasts. CAP Council, can we test and see if Melmetal is to broke for CAP?

Last edited:
Small follow up to previous post, in addition to Pokemon Home allowing unreleased Pokes to be legal, some pre-existing Pokemon now have their move pools expanded. Im only looking at Pokemon that are currently in OU. If I forget anything notable, pls tell me and I will update this post.

Generally, every Poke from Sun/Moon got Toxic back. So toxic stall is going to be seen more frequently.

:Bisharp:
Due to losing Knock Off and Pursuit this gen, I was confused why Bisharp is in OU (personally I think its ass). Now it has Knock Off again so it remove items and hits harder than it used to with Throat Chop. So now I can get behind Bisharp being in OU.

:Clefable:
The Pokemon with the huge move pool just got bigger. Soft-boiled is way better reliable recovery than Wish or Moonlight and you can replace Protect with Soft-Boiled on the Wish passing set if you want. Heal Bell/Aromatherapy is also nice because prior to Pokemon Home, good status clerics were hard to come by. Clef got Knock Off back for item control. But the biggest thing is that Clef got Unaware back! This is huge and means Clef can be used to check set up sweepers.

:Cloyster:
Cloyster got back Explosion and Rapid Spin. Explosion was sometimes seen on Shell Smash sets and a nice suicide button even with it getting nerf in Gen 5. The buffed Rapid Spin is a really nice move to have. The speed boost can help out Cloyster if it hasn't set up Shell Smash.

:Hydreigon:
Regained Roost and Defog. Which means the LO +3 attacks, Defog, and Taunt sets are back. Maybe run Roost on the NP set?

:Mew:
Just like Clef, one of the biggest move pools on a Pokemon just got bigger. Currently, Mew is mainly used as a diet Deoxys-s. Fast Mono-psychic suicide lead with SR, Spikes, and Taunt. Bulky sets were pretty dead because the only reliable recovery Mew had was the crappy Life Dew. Now, Mew got both Soft-Boiled and Roost back so bulky support sets are back and ready to go. It also got back Defog which is nice because good Defog users were perviously hard to come by until Pokebank. It also regained Knock Off and Heal Bell just like Clef which is nice. But Soft-Boiled is the biggest win.

:Pelipper:
Bird got Defog back. Nice.

:Rotom-Heat: :Rotom-Wash::Rotom-Mow:
The appliances got Defog back.

:Seismitoad:
Knock Off and Refresh. Refresh was sometimes seen to help deal with status and improve longevity. This is pretty nice to have when you consider that so many Pokemon can learn Toxic again. I still miss :Swampert: though.

:Togekiss:
Roost, Soft-Boiled, Defog, and Heal Bell. Ive talked about why these moves are good to have. Support set is back.

Pokemon Home really caused some big changes in the current meta game. Some old threats got buffed and new threats are coming to CAP. Right now, I have no idea what direction the meta is going to take but it will be interesting to see what happens. The only thing I can predict right now is that Kyurem-Black is finally getting sent to Ubers where it belongs and hazard removal is going to be a lot more common now.

Edit: I was correct. Kyurem-Black got quick banned. It took it 3 generations since it first came out but better late than never.

Last edited:
Small follow up to previous post, in addition to Pokemon Home allowing unreleased Pokes to be legal, some pre-existing Pokemon now have their move pools expanded. Im only looking at Pokemon that are currently in OU. If I forget anything notable, pls tell me and I will update this post.

Generally, every Poke from Sun/Moon got Toxic back. So toxic stall is going to be seen more frequently.

:Bisharp:
Due to losing Knock Off and Pursuit this gen, I was confused why Bisharp is in OU (personally I think its ass). Now it has Knock Off again so it remove items and hits harder than it used to with Throat Chop. So now I can get behind Bisharp being in OU.

:Clefable:
The Pokemon with the huge move pool just got bigger. Soft-boiled is way better reliable recovery than Wish or Moonlight and you can replace Protect with Soft-Boiled on the Wish passing set if you want. Heal Bell/Aromatherapy is also nice because prior to Pokemon Home, good status clerics were hard to come by. Clef got Knock Off back for item control. But the biggest thing is that Clef got Unaware back! This is huge and means Clef can be used to check set up sweepers.

:Cloyster:
Cloyster got back Explosion and Rapid Spin. Explosion was sometimes seen on Shell Smash sets and a nice suicide button even with it getting nerf in Gen 5. The buffed Rapid Spin is a really nice move to have. The speed boost can help out Cloyster if it hasn't set up Shell Smash.

:Hydreigon:
Regained Roost and Defog. Which means the LO +3 attacks, Defog, and Taunt sets are back. Maybe run Roost on the NP set?

:Mew:
Just like Clef, one of the biggest move pools on a Pokemon just got bigger. Currently, Mew is mainly used as a diet Deoxys-s. Fast Mono-psychic suicide lead with SR, Spikes, and Taunt. Bulky sets were pretty dead because the only reliable recovery Mew had was the crappy Life Dew. Now, Mew got both Soft-Boiled and Roost back so bulky support sets are back and ready to go. It also got back Defog which is nice because good Defog users were perviously hard to come by until Pokebank. It also regained Knock Off and Heal Bell just like Clef which is nice. But Soft-Boiled is the biggest win.

:Pelipper:
Bird got Defog back. Nice.

:Rotom-Heat: :Rotom-Wash::Rotom-Mow:
The appliances got Defog back.

:Seismitoad:
Knock Off and Refresh. Refresh was sometimes seen to help deal with status and improve longevity. This is pretty nice to have when you consider that so many Pokemon can learn Toxic again. I still miss :Swampert: though.

:Togekiss:
Roost, Soft-Boiled, Defog, and Heal Bell. Ive talked about why these moves are good to have. Support set is back.

Pokemon Home really caused some big changes in the current meta game. Some old threats got buffed and new threats are coming to CAP. Right now, I have no idea what direction the meta is going to take but it will be interesting to see what happens. The only thing I can predict right now is that Kyurem-Black is finally getting sent to Ubers where it belongs and hazard removal is going to be a lot more common now.

Edit: I was correct. Kyurem-Black got quick banned. It took it 3 generations since it first came out but better late than never.
Refresh got snapped buddy

For the record, Kyurem-B and Melmetal are banned from CAP. The goal of the new policy is to be more restrictive than OU, not less, so they won't be unbanned.
Do you mind explaining the new policy? I always had the impression that CAP was generally a higher power level than OU, so wouldn’t it make sense to be less restrictive rather than more?

People have been Sleeping on Zeraora

Image result for zeraora gif

Zeraora @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Blaze Kick

This set acts as a fun all-purpose breaker set. EVs and nature are there let it out-speed jolly Pault, and <90 Spe Scarfs

Plasma Fists allows Zera to break anything weak to Electric, including Pex, Argo and Snael - all of whom get a decent ladder usage. CC is a staple which allows it to further dent the main ground types of CAP in Colossoil and Equilibra, both of which wall it fairly hard otherwise. Knock off has its generic untility, but is most commonly used to wack Pault, which Zera conveniently outspeeds. Last but not least is Blaze kick, which is pretty much exclusively used to target trace Jumbao. Zera's abiltiy to just 2HKO most of the Tier's defensive staples is staggering, though requiring a lot of prediction to use effectively.

calcs assuming rocks

252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Jumbao: 177-208 (45.6 - 53.6%) -- 92.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Equilibra: 250-294 (61.2 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 48 Def Corviknight: 351-416 (87.7 - 104%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Zeraora Plasma Fists vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Snaelstrom: 283-338 (73.3 - 87.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

The only real weaknesses it possesses is against Def CM Moll, Aegislash, Pyroak, Hippowdon, and Cyclom, the latter of three being fairly niche. As well, Zera wears itself out pretty quickly with Life Orb, allowing it to be picked off quickly by priory.

As long as predictions work in your favour, Zera can be a scary mon to go up against.

Last edited:
I've tested a lot of Pokemon and built pretty extensively for the Dugtrio free tournament. Since I've been knocked out, I'd like to share my thoughts on some Pokemon in the metagame.

:mollux:
I honestly don't think Mollux is as good as it's generally made out to be right now. As Arena Trap's been banned, Fairy-types besides Clefable have taken a big dip in usage, thus hurting Mollux's overall niche. Toxapex has generally been replacing Mollux on my teams, as it's much easier to make progress with Knock Off. Toxapex is also one of the best checks to Calm Mind Mollux, which directly hurts it.

Mollux is constricted a lot in this metagame; you can easily force it to lose its item with Knock Off users like Clefable and Toxapex, greatly diminishing its overall longevity, or take advantage of it with Teleport Clefable in combination with a threatening wallbreaker like Terrakion or Kyurem. The fact that Mollux is constricted in what it can run right now, doesn't really help it either. Mollux absolutely NEEDS to be able to check Calm Mind Clefable, which it can only do while running Calm Mind itself, or Clear Smog. More utility based sets with Stealth Rock don't really suffice in checking Calm Mind Clefable, and this can feel quite restricting in the builder.

:toxapex:
Now that I've ragged on Mollux, let's move on to the best Poison-type in this metagame, Toxapex. Toxapex is really incredible and I definitely think it should be getting more usage. I've used Toxapex extensively and it's honestly really, really good. It can easily make progress with Knock Off, and takes advantage of some of the best Pokemon in the metagame like Clefable, Corviknight, Mollux, and Aegislash with ease. On top of that, the fact that it doesn't have to play very passively because of Regenerator is a great boon too. You could argue that Toxapex can be taken advantage of by Pokemon like Kyurem rather easily, but that's why Baneful Bunker has a lot of value in this metagame too.

:tomohawk:
I've used Tomohawk quite a lot and must say im a huge fan of it; it's really customizable and can easily check some of the most threatening wallbreakers in CAP, such as Colossoil and Conkeldurr, which in turn massively frees up Pokemon like Clefable to run a more specially defensive spread to deal with Pokemon like Dragapult and Hydreigon. For the record, Prankster is awful and I'll smite anyone that argues otherwise. Intimidate's way too useful because it allows you to consistently check Pokemon like Colossoil, Conkeldurr, and Excadrill, rather than eventually getting overwhelmed with Prankster. Here's the set I like the most at the moment:

:sm/tomohawk:
Tomohawk @ Leftovers / Metronome
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 28 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Aura Sphere
- Roost
- Stealth Rock / Rapid Spin / Heat Wave

Tomohawk is a really cool Stealth Rock setter that matches up quite nicely against entry hazard removers like Mandibuzz and Equilibra. Rapid Spin is also a cool option because Tomohawk can remove entry hazards from Pokemon like Arghonaut and Ferrothorn. Lastly, Heat Wave is definitely a cool option to wear Aegislash and Bulletproof Equilibra down if you don't need Tomohawk to compress Stealth Rock or Rapid Spin. I've run it instead of Aura Sphere too, but being unable to immediately pressure Colossoil, while being complete Rotom-H bait, is not desireable.

With the HP in tandem with the Defense EVs, Tomohawk always avoid being 2HKOed by Colossoil and Conkeldurr's Facade, without Leftovers. Even though you'll almost always run Leftovers, you should definitely calculate your EVs for without the item, as Tomohawk tends to lose its item to Knock Off a ridiculous amount. The Speed EVs allow Tomohawk to outspeed Adamant Bisharp, and I tend to pool the rest of the EVs into Special Attack with a Modest nature because you don't really need them anywhere else. I also ran a specially defensive spread against quziel, as I really needed it to check Equilibra. It's generally not worth trying to compress that role onto Tomohawk, though.

:terrakion:
For some reason, Terrakion hasn't seemed to be getting much usage throughout the tour, but it's really, really good right now. Without Arena Trap, Terrakion's not very constricted and it can generate opportunities to setup with Swords Dance against Pokemon it can force out like Mollux, Mandibuzz, and Hydreigon quite easily. I particularly liked Swords Dance because it severely limits the pivoting potential the opponent has against Terrakion. As more Clefable have been running heavy Special Defense investment for Kyurem, teams have been a lot more unprepared for Terrakion in general. Terrakion really shines alongside Equilibra though; Doom Desire makes pivoting around Terrakion practically impossible. Doom Desire pretty much disables the option to pivot into a Pokemon like Clefable or Jumbao into Terrakion because of the fear of Doom Desire, and most the Pokemon that can comfortably take a Doom Desire, which is very limited, are all pressured by Terrakion, aside from Toxapex, which is a mediocre check at best.

I won my first tournament yay ! Definetly didn't have the hardest of runs, but still fought some tough opponents.
Just like Jordy, I teambuilded and worked quite a few, which allowed me to explore the metagame at length and across. I agree with Jordy all the way (Toxapex is incredible, Terrakion has no check, Mollux is overrated), I'll add a few more thoughts.

:zeraora: Zeraora is extremely threatening and unpredictable. I used both the set life orb and the set leftovers/expert belt + bulk up. Both were convincing. As the metagame is relatively slow, many teams do without a scarfer, which often leaves the door wide open for a Zeraora sweep. There are plenty of opportunities to click bulk up, especially on Pokemon like Corviknight, Clefable, Toxapex (which often drops scald by the way), etc. The life orb set will have less opportunity to sweep, but it's a good cleaner that will often be used to knock off ground types in order to help a teammate (like Rotom-heat or Terrakion, for example).

:Jumbao: The viability of Jumbao is hanging by a thread: drought. Defensively, it's well below Clef ; and offensively it's walled by the most used Pokemons in the tier. It is sorely lacking in utility. However, I'll say again and again that Sun is incredibly strong in the current metagame, and that too many teams are still not prepared for it. You don't even need to play full sun with Heat Rock, just play Jumbao (scarf or leftovers) + 1 or 2 fire-type breakers, and you're done.

:rotom-heat: If you look at the viability ranking, you'll see that the Rotom-heat stabs duo is only resisted by the dragon types, which have no way of healing themselves. You will also see that there are no water attacks and very few rock type attacks on the horizon, which are his only weaknesses. Finally, you'll see that he can click nasty plot quietly on many of the best Pokemons in the tier, which will often lead to a kill. All of this combined with its unpredictability (scarf trick/boots nasty plot, defog, pain split, discharge/volt-switch, etc) and its ability to come in without a problem and threaten Equilibra (which is rare) makes it a more than viable Pokemon at the moment.

:pyroak: Pyroak has a decent niche at the moment, as it is capable of walling a lot of physical threats due to its good typing. It's a good switchin in Zeraora, Syclant, Conkeldurr, Excadrill, Bisharp, which makes it a good rocker (especially since it has a good matchup against the most common defogers and spinners). Lava plume is rather spammable in the current metagame, and the last moveslot is quite flexible (leech seed, earth power, toxic, etc). However, it is not without weaknesses. It is forced to wear boots, which often forces it to lose a turn to cure itself by 25% in order to keep coming on Syclant and Zeraora. Moreover he gives a free wish to Clef, which is something to be very careful about. Finally it becomes almost unusable if he loses his item and the opponent manages to keep the rocks in place.

:kyurem: Kyurem is the most powerful special attacker of the tier. Its main advantage is that once Clef has lost his leftovers, he has no switchin. Every time he comes it's a 50/50 in favor of its user. Sub + roost based sets (leftovers or metronome) are largely unexplored, although they are extremely strong and exploit the fear of specs very well. (actually they loose to Clef)

I think that the possibilities of the tier are not yet explored enough, and that many unused Pokemon have a very good potential at the moment. I'm thinking of :stratagem:, :obstagoon: (which has no switchin), :aurumoth: (idem), :smokomodo: (same), :gengar:, and others. I'm looking forward to see how that evolves in the next tournament.

Last edited:
figured i would share some mons which i have been liking a lot based on my first interaction with this gen and testing with a few ppl:

:sylveon: clefable is everywhere, but sylveon is a really respectable wishpasser for its ability to comfortably handle specs kyurem, LO +2 hydrei flash cannon, and outspeeding conk all at the same time. im really enjoying the problematic mons this gets to cover all at the same time, hits nice and hard and does much better vs the super powerful HO teams that have a much easier time steamrolling clefables middling stats (such as rain seismitoad and sun venusaur). loss of magic guard and teleport is unfortunate, but its ability to check those incredibly strong pokemon makes it worth using for me.
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpD / 136 Spe
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Mystical Fire

:volkraken: volkraken is a monster on sun, ive been using it a lot and it is the sun equivalent of banded dracovish except much faster and with some key switchin opportunity like vs clefable, jumbao, jirachi, and provides a team a very useful 4x ice resist. fire blast is happily 2hkoing the monstrous bulky waters like even Toxapex and Argho because they are all investing hard into physdef, and ohkoing smaller resists like physdef seismitoad, dragapult, hydreigon and rotom-h with overheat. you can even 2hko band dracovish with rocks, which is neat. it also makes other weather matchups much easier, as pelipper and tyranitar will be ohkod by hydro pump if they try and predict a fire move or lead vs you. i think this is one of the best mons to use on sun right now because the metagame is completely unprepared to take hits from it. when it comes to non-sun teams, i would definitely recommend to use something else as your breaker like kyurem.
Volkraken @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Fire Blast
- U-turn
- Hydro Pump

:tomohawk: this isnt underrated, but wanted to mention it. its hard for me to not put tomohawk on every team right now. it has amazing stabs and coverage, good intimidate pivot with reliable recovery and covers important threats, and has stealth rock or rapid spin (sr is probably its best set). this plus equilibra are some of the most splashable, easy to slap on mons in the tier and also happen to pair excellently together while also both being able to go as offensive or defensive as you like.
Tomohawk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane

:equilibra: this mon is busted in a slow meta where wishpass feels so good. every time you doom desire you can force the game state to push forward, and every time you get a wish you basically get another chance to doom desire. its typing pairs excellently with wishpassers and this also lets it run what i think is one of the best items on equilibra- resist berries. the freedom that chople in particular gives this is amazing, freeing up its ability to switch in on many more mons and lure/ trade hits with problem mons like aegislash and zeraora is very gross.
Equilibra @ Chople Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Doom Desire
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Flash Cannon

1592089286232.png

It's only been about a day but with Astrolotl dropping and CAPTT approaching I thought I could share some of the sets I have been trying out. Astrolotl in my eyes has shaken the metagame quite a bit making it difficult to know what the best set is or what the most 'optimal' version is. Most of these sets are probably not great but I hope it might help some players out. I have had a lot of fun using them which doesn't mean anything besides that they are maybe a tiny bit viable at the moment.

Astrolotl @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Spin
- Fire Lash
- Substitute
- Cosmic Power
This is probably my favourite set so far, I'm sure that's not how Astrolotl is meant to be used but I'm a huge fan of set up trappers and Fire Lash just makes everything Astro wants to do easier. From the few games I have played this set actually works, especially paired with tspikes or toxic support allowing you to take out threats like Primarina, Gastrodon and Arghonaut quite easily. Fire Spin also lets you trap and set up on passive mons like Tomohawk (after toxic) who you don't have much trouble breaking through after cosmic power up. Just a fun set, I wouldn't recommend it for every team but a set I think that could work in near metagame.

Astrolotl @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Work Up
- Fire Lash
- Toxic
- Substitute
My first attempt into making it a sweeper (which again I'm convinced it wasn't made to be) Work Up is terrible boost but better than nothing, I've also seen stored power with cosmic power and agility being used but might as well just run Reuiniclus for that. Work Up actually works quite nicely with Fire Lash. Much like the previous set however Astro relies on Toxic a lot to wear down foes so it struggles against mons like Krilowatt and restalk users. It also relies a lot on Fire Lash drops to break through opposing mon so momentum is a big inconvenient.

Astrolotl @ Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Fire Lash
- Explosion
- Toxic
This is the set I think I've seen the most and probably one of the best ones at the moment. I pair this set with sun support since Astro might be just the best spike setter for sun teams atm, I think Fire Lash drop helps a lot of threats to be in check of Explosion, especially with sun boost. Toxic helps against hazard removers who aren't weak to Fire like Tomohawk and Rotoms, though in most case this is used on offensive/ho teams so you might rather want to just explode.

Astrolotl @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Fire Lash
- Fire Spin / Rest
Just a set I've made tired of Toxapex, Taunt + Fire Lash beats it and Fire Spin traps it, only problem then is that you struggle recovering so Rest is an option. This is probably the worse set but I've only had one game with it and it performed decently. I'm convinced there are ways of making it better but the concept is still interesting.

Astrolotl @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Fire Lash
- Outrage
- Explosion
I haven't actually gotten a lot of use out of this set but Astro has a really good speed base. Regenerator helps it deal with Rocky Helmet and Hazard chip fairly well so it seemed like a good shot. I think this fits offensive/balanced archetypes quite well. I've used it on a dragon spam team with Pajantom and it seemed like a solid cleaner. You can probably pair this set with Toxapex/Arghonaut and volturn cores like Rotom + Syclant as well.

1592089286232.png

Heyyyy Astrolotl is out ! This mon is incredibly fun to both use and build around as it offers so many options. It's funny how hard it is for now to find out what's good and what's not ; I've seen soo many different sets. Here are my thoughts on this mess. (It's been a very short amount of time so i might be wrong, don't come in 2 months to roast me)

Jolly Nature
- Fire Lash
- Dragon Claw
- Explosion / Flare Blitz / Toxic / Knock Off
- Spikes / Taunt
As far as I can tell this looks like the most consistent Astrolotl set right now. Fire Lash makes it annoying as hell to pivot around, and Dragon Claw is extremely usefull if not mandatory to pressure the Fire-resisting mons. Explosion is good at luring defensive stuff like Tomohawk and Toxapex, leaving the door wide open for the physical breakers like Colossoil, Cinderace etc. Flare Blitz is another option, as it insures many 2hkoes that Fire Lash fails to provide (with some surprise factor most of the time). Toxic is basically a safer crippling option than Explosion for stuff like Tomohawk, Hippo, Arghonaut, etc. Knock Off is another option because why not (although it doesn't look as good from what I've seen). Astrolotl is definetly a good spiker as it forces many switches. Taunt is an option I personnally love and that I find very usefull for many reasons : it beats Pex, it prevents bulky mons from healing, which they would usually very like to do at -1 Defense, leaving them permanently weak, it prevents free rocks from Tomohawk coming in on Fire Lash, and is usefull in many situations in general.

Fire Lash / Dragon Claw / Explosion / Taunt is my personnal favorite atm. I think Toxic over Explosion is very potent too. Full Atk looks optimal to me, as Astrolotl is way too weak otherwise and doesn't pressure the opponent's team enough. But here comes a pretty concerning problem : Astrolotl doesn't act as an offensive support in some/most cases. That's due to Fire Lash. Yes it forces switches, but Astrolotl doesn't use them to provide utility to its team, it uses them to put even more pressure with more Fire Lashes and Dragon Claws. Astrolotl is a Balance breaker. It has so many options that nothing is safe when coming in on it. It doesn't look broken. It's good, but not at providing support.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1132178874 Voltage's Astrolotl kills both my checks to it and doesn't ever click a supporting move
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8cap-1131959996 My Astrolotl cleans and puts some very good work while not providing any support

As for the other Astrolotl sets :

- I don't think Band is good. It fails to ohko or 2hko many things with Fire Lash, takes too much from rocks and just ends up losing its band to a knock off. Even under sun I think the sheer power of Darmanitan is more appreciated as you have limited turns.

- Cosmic Power sets without taunt lose to Haze Toxapex. I don't think they're good at all. Stored Power is..... nah.

- Fire Spin sets look very interesting. I haven't tried them but from what i've seen they do work, and even if they don't Fire lash + Dragon Claw remain super good.

- I've tried Scarf Trick once and it worked quite nicely : you can get a lot from the surprise effect, and giving a scarf to a defensive mon is always usefull.

- I might be wrong on this one, but full Speed / HP purely utility focused set like this one look pretty underwhelming. They just don't put enough pressure. The same set with full atk probably works better, we'll see. By the way Defog is bad because Astrolotl loses to every rocker.

- Special sets like Specs don't look to provide anything usefull for now.

- Substitute sets are EXTREMELY annoying, can't say if they're good for now.

- Why click Work Up when you can click Fire Lash ? Astrolotl isn't fast enough to be a sweeper, not convinced by this one.

So when Astrolotl released I decided to start laddering again because every non-all-CAP mons players were on playing it. I had a blast using Astrolotl and I think it has a lot of potential in the metagame thanks to its high speed and access to Spikes.

Jolly Nature
- Fire Lash / Flare Blitz
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Knock Off

When I went through its movepool I instantly saw potential as fast Spike stacker since its main STAB threatens Equlibra and Corviknight. Since its typing makes it immune to burns, Taunt makes it a excellent Pex abuser when paired with Teleport Clefable. It won't be able to kill Pex (unless its the last pokemon alive) but its ability to just Setup hazards in its face is frankly amazing.

Pokemon that abuse Spikes are key partners for it. I think Reuniclus is amazing in this metagame since any team that use Mandibuzz are naturally weak to it. Here some standard team for you guys to try out I guess.
View attachment 254612:ss/reuniclus: :ss/clefable: :ss/toxapex: :ss/equilibra: :ss/tomohawk:

Anyway I'm looking forward to the post-Clef metagame. With it gone who knows who will fill the void that is kinda being choked to death at the moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)