SVOU Rain Thunderstorm (1300's)

HO Rain Thunderstorm
The team: :Pelipper::Barraskewda::Raging Bolt::Kingdra::Zapdos::Great Tusk:
Typical rain team, only questionable things may be :Great Tusk: and the inclusion of both :Zapdos: and :Raging Bolt:. The team is fairly solid and a very unskilled and fairly un- serious player like me hovers around 1200 and 1300 with it. Most of the team comes from previous RMT's and this is kinda like the final iteration. Am I holding back an otherwise perfectly sound team? (Or as sound as rain can be)

Pelipper (F) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hurricane
- Surf
- U-turn
- Roost
Of course on any rain team you will be using Pelipper, normal rain setter set. Not much to say, the backbone of weather. Chose it over Politoad because the defense and roost helping with how many times I can set up rain. IDK about tera fight, but it doesn't really matter because I am not gonna be wasting my tera on this.

Barraskewda (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Flip Turn
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
The go-to physical sweeper on rain. Max atk and speed, band for the extra damage, adamant nature just to secure kills, and tera water to OHKO pretty much anything that wants to switch in. Typical moveset, FT for momentum, Liquidation for my main Stab attack, CC for extra coverage and spam-ability. Aquajet just in case somehow something is out speeding Barraskewda in the rain. Cant go wrong. Alternative is Bassculegion, but its a lot less consistent, and does less damage.

Raging Bolt @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Weather Ball
- Dragon Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Thunderclap
Main breaker an possible rain sweeper. All rain teams pretty much need a dragon type for breaking, and I chose Raging bolt because its access to weatherball. Calm-Mind wheatherball is killing everything, and I have tera fairy for setting up on fairy types threatening me. (Who will all be OHKOD by weatherball which they most likely think will be draco-meteor). It provides bretty good versatility and Zapdos and Peliper both cover for its main ground weakness. Max SpA and Spe with Booster for obvious reasons.

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Weather Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Flip Turn
Kingdra is the classic SpA rain sweeper, and has yet to be outclassed for a couple of generations. Will outspeed practically everything in the rain, Weatherball, Hydropump (For extra bulky threats) for STAB, Draco (also STAB) but for for coverage than sweeping, and flipturn of course. Specs because who cares about your effectiveness if its stab and rain boosted Hydorpump, it will kill. Max SpA and Spe.

Zapdos @ Choice Specs
Ability: Static
Tera Type: Fairy
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Hurricane
- Volt Switch
- Roost
Zapdos is the Second electric type an this team, opening up a couple weaknesses, but nothing serious. It mainly fits on the team because it helps with Raging Bolts weaknesses, but also the main Water type attackers on the can take down Its own weaknesses like rock types. Zapdos also is a very good rain abuser, Specs Hurricane and Thunder both cant miss in the rain, and are very overpowered combined with max SpA investments and Specs. Roost for free turns (Yes I know Choice roost is wierd, but its good for when you really need recovery and have a free turn) and VSW for getting my min sweepers in posistion.

(not donphan sprite wouldn't work so here is what u get)
Great Tusk @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
Tusk was added because the whole team was sweepers, and needed a little support from tusk to get rid of hazards and maybe knock out an annoying threat that otherwise couldnt be hit. (Like an electric type that my team is weak to.) It provides good support with knock off, giving my sweepers a bigger advantage. Idk about it, maybe theres a better alternative, but it fits the role fairly well.

If u read through all that bs thank you, and I hope you can give me some suggestions.

Because of your team is weak to electric type like Raging Bolt, most common electric type in OU. You don't have a switch in to that mon. Greak Tusk will get OHKO by Draco Meteor or surprised by Tera Flying. So here is the mon to replace Great Tusk :

Iron Treads @ Booster Energy/Leftovers/Eject Button/Assault Vest
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock/Volt Switch/Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Iron Head/Ice Spinner
- Rapid Spin

Run Knock Off with AV if you don't need rocks. Leftovers for some recovery while switch in and back. After you set up rocks, Eject Button can help you switch back to other mon more easily. Booster Energy help Iron Tread out speed other mons, such as non boost Iron Treads. You can run Ice spinner if you want a Ice move.

Iron Treads @ Assault Vest/Booster Energy/Leftovers/Eject Button
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock/Volt Switch
- Steel Beam/Volt Switch
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin

Same thing here, run Volt Switch with AV. I don't suggest Steel Beam, but people are using it. Steel Beam is a good option if you need a lead can set up rocks and do some damage.

Nice team looking so far! ( Choice roost is really weird btw)

Honestly this team is pretty good. About as good as one can get for rain.

Few changes:

Pelipper Knock Off > Hurricane or Surf. Knock off hits Blissey which helps out Kingdra and Zapdos. I would switch to Tera Steel and a Specially Defensive Spread (248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpDef, Sassy) for Kyurem.

Zapdos - Heavy Duty Boots > Choice Specs. U-Turn > Volt Switch. I recommend a defensive spread to check Rillaboom better and pivot in your breakers. Try 252 HP / 228 Def / 16 SpA / 16 Spe, Bold and Tera Dragon. This spread consistently beats Rillaboom, Ogerpon-W, Zama, and cripples most physical sweepers.

I second the poster above about using Iron Treads > Great Tusk. Though I would use a more defensive set. 252 HP / 248 SpDef / 8 Spe, Careful with Earthquake, Rapid Spin, Volt Switch, Stealth Rock. This will consistently check Raging Bolt and pivot in your breakers.

Now, the issue without Tusk becomes how to deal with Kingambit.

Option 1: Pick between Raging Bolt and Zapdos, and add your own Jolly Kingambit with Low kick.

Option 2
: Pick between Barraskewda and Kingdra and add Banded Samourott-H. Sam does >90% to Kingambit with Aqua Cutter in the rain. (Double swift swim is not mandatory)

Option 3: Replace Raging Bolt for a Bulk Up Great Tusk.

All three options work. Hope this helps!

Roller K

detached
is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor
The rain team looks quite strong! While rain is a bit of a linear playstyle from a teambuilding perspective, I have some suggestions for the team to help it out better. I drew inspiration from Why & Z and RaikouLover as they understand the problems that rain faces and good ways to mitigate those risks. A Pokepaste of my suggested changes is right below.

My version: :pelipper: :barraskewda: :kingambit: :kingdra: :zapdos: :iron-treads:

Changes:

1. :kingambit: > :raging-bolt:: While I love Raging Bolt, it seems like the most expendable member on the team. Thunderclap is a strong but unreliable move, which leaves you with Water/Dragon coverage that Kingdra already covers for. Zapdos also covers for the team's Electric coverage, and it is more necessary to handle Rillaboom and provide a Ground immunity for the team. RaikouLover notes how Kyurem, Raging Bolt, and Kingambit are problems for your team; in general, rain struggles greatly against these threats. Kingambit holds up the role of a bulky set-up sweeper while providing checks for two of the three aforementioned threats; Kingambit resists Ice- and Dragon-type moves from Kyurem, and Jolly + Low Kick ensures that you outpace and beat opposing Kingambit. Black Glasses helps you pressure Dondozo a little more to compensate for the Jolly Nature (turns 5 Fallen Kowtow Cleave into a 3HKO), and Tera Fire helps against Will-O-Wisp Dragapult, which your team cannot handle easily.

2. :iron-treads: > :great-tusk:: Iron Treads is great on offense teams for many reasons. With Booster Energy, it is a strong lead that can set up Stealth Rock, pressure opposing leads like Glimmora with Ground coverage, and provides a Rapid Spin user who is immune to Toxic Spikes and can threaten Gholdengo. You can toy with the EVs and moves if you'd like; I opted for max attack since it is a lead and usually does not need to stay around long. Consider max HP or max special defense if you want to be a bulkier lead, especially since this is your premier Raging Bolt check on the team. Earthquake is a spammable move that threatens Raging Bolt and is overall quite strong, and Knock Off removes items and hits Air Balloon Gholdengo (mainly used for Heavy-Duty Boots spam teams and stall). You can use a special Iron Treads with Earth Power and Steel Beam, replace Stealth Rock for Volt Switch, change the item to Eject Button, and many more options. I believe my set is the best for your team, but test different sets and see what fits best for you.

3. Knock Off > Surf, Tera Ground > Flying on :pelipper:: Knock Off helps against the stall matchup. Hurricane is kept over Surf to pressure Rillaboom and Ogerpon Wellspring among other Water-resistant threats. Tera Ground serves to absorb a Volt Switch and get a safe pivot into your threats, but you can switch it to another defensive type if you prefer.

4. Heavy-Duty Boots > Choice Specs on :zapdos:: You already have two Choiced users in Barraskewda and Kingdra. Heavy-Duty Boots will alleviate the pressure from Stealth Rock, especially since your team is oriented around pivot moves and many switches will happen. This will also allow you to switch up moves and utilize Roost.

5. Tera Dragon > Water on :kingdra:: Just a personal preference, but this will give you a resistance to Ogerpon Wellspring's Grass coverage and Rillaboom's Grassy Glide, which rain struggles with. It's also nice to power up Draco Meteor into some threats.

I hope these changes help! :pelipper: :pelipper: :pelipper:

The rain team looks quite strong! While rain is a bit of a linear playstyle from a teambuilding perspective, I have some suggestions for the team to help it out better. I drew inspiration from Why & Z and RaikouLover as they understand the problems that rain faces and good ways to mitigate those risks. A Pokepaste of my suggested changes is right below.

My version: :pelipper: :barraskewda: :kingambit: :kingdra: :zapdos: :iron-treads:

Changes:

1. :kingambit: > :raging-bolt:: While I love Raging Bolt, it seems like the most expendable member on the team. Thunderclap is a strong but unreliable move, which leaves you with Water/Dragon coverage that Kingdra already covers for. Zapdos also covers for the team's Electric coverage, and it is more necessary to handle Rillaboom and provide a Ground immunity for the team. RaikouLover notes how Kyurem, Raging Bolt, and Kingambit are problems for your team; in general, rain struggles greatly against these threats. Kingambit holds up the role of a bulky set-up sweeper while providing checks for two of the three aforementioned threats; Kingambit resists Ice- and Dragon-type moves from Kyurem, and Jolly + Low Kick ensures that you outpace and beat opposing Kingambit. Black Glasses helps you pressure Dondozo a little more to compensate for the Jolly Nature (turns 5 Fallen Kowtow Cleave into a 3HKO), and Tera Fire helps against Will-O-Wisp Dragapult, which your team cannot handle easily.

2. :iron-treads: > :great-tusk:: Iron Treads is great on offense teams for many reasons. With Booster Energy, it is a strong lead that can set up Stealth Rock, pressure opposing leads like Glimmora with Ground coverage, and provides a Rapid Spin user who is immune to Toxic Spikes and can threaten Gholdengo. You can toy with the EVs and moves if you'd like; I opted for max attack since it is a lead and usually does not need to stay around long. Consider max HP or max special defense if you want to be a bulkier lead, especially since this is your premier Raging Bolt check on the team. Earthquake is a spammable move that threatens Raging Bolt and is overall quite strong, and Knock Off removes items and hits Air Balloon Gholdengo (mainly used for Heavy-Duty Boots spam teams and stall). You can use a special Iron Treads with Earth Power and Steel Beam, replace Stealth Rock for Volt Switch, change the item to Eject Button, and many more options. I believe my set is the best for your team, but test different sets and see what fits best for you.

3. Knock Off > Surf, Tera Ground > Flying on :pelipper:: Knock Off helps against the stall matchup. Hurricane is kept over Surf to pressure Rillaboom and Ogerpon Wellspring among other Water-resistant threats. Tera Ground serves to absorb a Volt Switch and get a safe pivot into your threats, but you can switch it to another defensive type if you prefer.

4. Heavy-Duty Boots > Choice Specs on :zapdos:: You already have two Choiced users in Barraskewda and Kingdra. Heavy-Duty Boots will alleviate the pressure from Stealth Rock, especially since your team is oriented around pivot moves and many switches will happen. This will also allow you to switch up moves and utilize Roost.

5. Tera Dragon > Water on :kingdra:: Just a personal preference, but this will give you a resistance to Ogerpon Wellspring's Grass coverage and Rillaboom's Grassy Glide, which rain struggles with. It's also nice to power up Draco Meteor into some threats.

I hope these changes help! :pelipper: :pelipper: :pelipper:
I will definitely try out your changes and keep testing! thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)