VGC 2024 Regulation G Metagame Discussion

I have been liking a :zamazenta: - av :rillaboom: - :raging bolt: core a lot.
Grassy terrain does exactly what you need it to do, make zam and bolt even more unkillable. Fake out gives zam turns to set up and electroweb works as speed control. Body Press not being nerfed by intimidate like all the other restricted's physical moves is huge. However it's not a very high base power so you have dual priority to finish off lower targets. Another reason bolt is there is because I like having a mon with a positive matchup into rain, which rilla has a hard time with because of the power of bleakwind storm or tera grass Kyogre.

I have been liking a :zamazenta: - av :rillaboom: - :raging bolt: core a lot.
Grassy terrain does exactly what you need it to do, make zam and bolt even more unkillable. Fake out gives zam turns to set up and electroweb works as speed control. Body Press not being nerfed by intimidate like all the other restricted's physical moves is huge. However it's not a very high base power so you have dual priority to finish off lower targets. Another reason bolt is there is because I like having a mon with a positive matchup into rain, which rilla has a hard time with because of the power of bleakwind storm or tera grass Kyogre.
For one, is it crowned or not? Crowned gives you a better type and more bulk, but then you can't hold an item, while the other has more speed but less bulk, with freedom to an item. And next, I don't imagine this doing well into either Zacian-C or a setup+ fairy coverage Calyrex-S. I'm interested. What would you run with this? I think maybe a Guss+Ting Lu defensive core. Here is what I'm cooking (spreads are iffy):https://pokepast.es/6690f08a2d778b09

For one, is it crowned or not? Crowned gives you a better type and more bulk, but then you can't hold an item, while the other has more speed but less bulk, with freedom to an item. And next, I don't imagine this doing well into either Zacian-C or a setup+ fairy coverage Calyrex-S. I'm interested. What would you run with this? I think maybe a Guss+Ting Lu defensive core. Here is what I'm cooking (spreads are iffy):https://pokepast.es/6690f08a2d778b09
Yeah its the crowned one. You mentioned calyrex which I did find a big problem with. Incin is kinda the final piece I was using since it has good resistance + fake out, and is benefited by grassy terrain. I haven't tried out Ting-Lu but in regulation G but I'm sure it's good. I'll edit this post later since I don't have the team paste on this computer. (I'm definitely trying this team you made it looks gas).

Just for informational purposes and my own use I'm gonna post the most common archetypes I've seen on ladder:
1. Kyogre Tailwind (this is sooo strong)
2. Calyrex-S (S tier)
3. Miraidon E-Terrain
4. Zacian-Pao
5. Calyrex-I Trick Room
6. Calm Mind Terapagos (Very underrated, feels like a final boss, need a tool like spore to slow it down)
7. Groudon Sun
8. E-Speed Ray, Zamazenta, Kyurem-White Snow, Koraidon Sun

I would like to talk about some Pokemon I feel are underrated.

Pairs well with:

It's blazing fast, hits like an absolute truck, and its ability also enables a load of other threatening Pokemon too. B..b..but Intimidate. Clear Amulet. Icerex and Groudon have no problem using it, so why not just slap it on Koraidon too? Besides, if Incineroar tries to get into the ring with this thing, it will get obliterated. It can also run a lot of different sets: Bulky SD, 3 Attacks, Choice Scarf or Choice Band. Groudon does give it competition, however while the dinosaur takes hits a lot better it also necessitates speed control, while Koraidon is fast enough to make do without and even though it has a lower base Attack stat, its ability lets it hit harder off the bat anyway. Its 4X Fairy weakness isn't as bad as you'd think, since Flutter Mane seems to have fallen off (guessing because Shadowrex eats it for breakfast).

252+ Atk Groudon Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. 228 HP / 4 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring in Sun: 143-169 (77.7 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Orichalcum Pulse Koraidon Flare Blitz vs. 228 HP / 4 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring in Sun: 176-208 (95.6 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

(Origin)
Pairs well with:
(and BM)

Couldn't find a sprite of Origin Dialga, so in your mind picture that. It's a very strong member of Trick Room teams; what spererates it from Icerex is that it doesn't need to be used in Trick Room to be effective, it isn't weak to Shadowrex, and it makes quick work of Incin and Rilla who are normally used to stall out Trick Room turns. Just 12 EVs and a neutral nature let it outrun Shadowrex in Tailwind. With Telepathy, you can pair it up with a strong Earthquake user like Ursaluna and Landorus-T, and fire off with reckless abandon. Origin forme is better as it has better Special bulk, and you'd mostly be sticking with its STABs anyway. There aren't too many other Steel types around, so its STABs are more or less unresisted (Zacian is neutral to Flash Cannon, Archaludon is neutral to Draco Meteor).

Pairs well with:

Now, while it does have to contend with Rillaboom and other Grass types, that's really nothing you can't assign its teammates to deal with (Tornadus says hi!). I've actually been using its old Choice Scarf set, and it's absolutely deadly, though I've also tried bulky Calm Mind sets and even a slow set on Trick Room (Origin Pulse, Ice Beam, Tera Blast Grass, Protect.) Not too much else to say about Kyogre - Rain boosted Water STAB goes brr.

Pairs well with:

The final member of the weather trio, Rayquaza is not to be slept on. This thing is a super deadly late game cleaner with Tera Normal Espeed - Tera Normal also lets it set up on Calyrex-Shadow that don't run Psychic STAB. Cancelling out the weather is another great niche this thing packs, since it shuts off the Protosynthesis mons. Bulky SD is my favourite set, but Choice Band is strong too. Groudon without Rock Slide, Rillaboom and Ogerpon besides Cornerstone all give it plenty of space to boost.

Pairs well with:

Yes it got nerfed, but a neutered wolf is still capable of ripping out your entrails. Boasting the 2nd best Speed, huge Attack and arguably the best defensive typing in the game, Zacian is not to be underestimated. It can be a strong early game breaker, but I feel it's better used as a late game cleaner. While its Speed seems somewhat unfortunate as it's lacking behind Shadowrex, it actually helps it out a lot - it can outrun the base 135 crowd with a Jolly nature and I think 156 EVs, and if you're not worried about them you could invest just enough to outrun Jolly Ogerpon, thus giving it plenty left over for bulk. Bring a Defiant or Competitive mon to deter Intimidates (Ogerpon, Kingambit and Milotic are all strong choices), and you're golden.

Overall I'm really enjoying this meta, I think it has a lot of potential for diversity once everyone stops treating Shadowrex as an instant win button (it's not, it can't scratch some of the most common mons in the meta) and checks to it become more common.

I would like to talk about some Pokemon I feel are underrated.

Pairs well with:

It's blazing fast, hits like an absolute truck, and its ability also enables a load of other threatening Pokemon too. B..b..but Intimidate. Clear Amulet. Icerex and Groudon have no problem using it, so why not just slap it on Koraidon too? Besides, if Incineroar tries to get into the ring with this thing, it will get obliterated. It can also run a lot of different sets: Bulky SD, 3 Attacks, Choice Scarf or Choice Band. Groudon does give it competition, however while the dinosaur takes hits a lot better it also necessitates speed control, while Koraidon is fast enough to make do without and even though it has a lower base Attack stat, its ability lets it hit harder off the bat anyway. Its 4X Fairy weakness isn't as bad as you'd think, since Flutter Mane seems to have fallen off (guessing because Shadowrex eats it for breakfast).

252+ Atk Groudon Heat Crash (120 BP) vs. 228 HP / 4 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring in Sun: 143-169 (77.7 - 91.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Orichalcum Pulse Koraidon Flare Blitz vs. 228 HP / 4 Def Ogerpon-Wellspring in Sun: 176-208 (95.6 - 113%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

(Origin)
Pairs well with:
(and BM)

Couldn't find a sprite of Origin Dialga, so in your mind picture that. It's a very strong member of Trick Room teams; what spererates it from Icerex is that it doesn't need to be used in Trick Room to be effective, it isn't weak to Shadowrex, and it makes quick work of Incin and Rilla who are normally used to stall out Trick Room turns. Just 12 EVs and a neutral nature let it outrun Shadowrex in Tailwind. With Telepathy, you can pair it up with a strong Earthquake user like Ursaluna and Landorus-T, and fire off with reckless abandon. Origin forme is better as it has better Special bulk, and you'd mostly be sticking with its STABs anyway. There aren't too many other Steel types around, so its STABs are more or less unresisted (Zacian is neutral to Flash Cannon, Archaludon is neutral to Draco Meteor).

Pairs well with:

Now, while it does have to contend with Rillaboom and other Grass types, that's really nothing you can't assign its teammates to deal with (Tornadus says hi!). I've actually been using its old Choice Scarf set, and it's absolutely deadly, though I've also tried bulky Calm Mind sets and even a slow set on Trick Room (Origin Pulse, Ice Beam, Tera Blast Grass, Protect.) Not too much else to say about Kyogre - Rain boosted Water STAB goes brr.

Pairs well with:

The final member of the weather trio, Rayquaza is not to be slept on. This thing is a super deadly late game cleaner with Tera Normal Espeed - Tera Normal also lets it set up on Calyrex-Shadow that don't run Psychic STAB. Cancelling out the weather is another great niche this thing packs, since it shuts off the Protosynthesis mons. Bulky SD is my favourite set, but Choice Band is strong too. Groudon without Rock Slide, Rillaboom and Ogerpon besides Cornerstone all give it plenty of space to boost.

Pairs well with:

Yes it got nerfed, but a neutered wolf is still capable of ripping out your entrails. Boasting the 2nd best Speed, huge Attack and arguably the best defensive typing in the game, Zacian is not to be underestimated. It can be a strong early game breaker, but I feel it's better used as a late game cleaner. While its Speed seems somewhat unfortunate as it's lacking behind Shadowrex, it actually helps it out a lot - it can outrun the base 135 crowd with a Jolly nature and I think 156 EVs, and if you're not worried about them you could invest just enough to outrun Jolly Ogerpon, thus giving it plenty left over for bulk. Bring a Defiant or Competitive mon to deter Intimidates (Ogerpon, Kingambit and Milotic are all strong choices), and you're golden.

Overall I'm really enjoying this meta, I think it has a lot of potential for diversity once everyone stops treating Shadowrex as an instant win button (it's not, it can't scratch some of the most common mons in the meta) and checks to it become more common.
Cooking with Dialga lol https://pokepast.es/ecc925acb1e2fe2f

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)