Resource SV OU Viability Ranking Thread [ UPDATE: POST #751 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What sets make Gyrados or Tauros Fire B- and what EV spread makes Nape A+? I only ask because I struggle to see their sets. Also why is Ceruledge so low for an OU pokemon in C rank?

What sets make Gyrados or Tauros Fire B- and what EV spread makes Nape A+? I only ask because I struggle to see their sets. Also why is Ceruledge so low for an OU pokemon in C rank?
Escarlata has some pretty good explanation on Gyara on page 2, Tauros Fire is an alright defensive tank with Wisp+screen removal+Intim+a type that's good into ChienPao (also into ChiYu but you're usually not investing enough in SpD to directly switch in). If by Nape you mean Annihilape, SpD Bulk Up is pretty popular. It's a really hard set to manage because Rage Fist BP increases are kept throughout switches, so even firing off "safe" attacks can quickly cause irreversible issues with Annihi in the game, and when given some bulk it can take them with little trouble.

Ceruledge is so low because it's... simply not that good. Viability is not equal to usage, ladder uses Ceruledge a lot presumably because it looks cool and has some stuff going for it but it's simply less good than sweepers in tiers above it. For what it's worth it's not the only OU mon with a low rank though, Lokix is in C too and Maushold sits all the way down in D lmao.

A weakness to hazards and rocks is true (though I happen to typically run LO lol) but with tinted lens and therefore a lack of resists First Impression and Sucker Punch still hit a lot of mons hard. Also, what Scizor/Breloom runs thief/bulldoze?
My scizor, it hits Skeledirge and Gholdgengo super effectively

Escarlata has some pretty good explanation on Gyara on page 2, Tauros Fire is an alright defensive tank with Wisp+screen removal+Intim+a type that's good into ChienPao (also into ChiYu but you're usually not investing enough in SpD to directly switch in). If by Nape you mean Annihilape, SpD Bulk Up is pretty popular.

Ceruledge is so low because it's... simply not that good. Viability is not equal to usage, ladder uses Ceruledge a lot presumably because it looks cool and has some stuff going for it but it's simply less good than sweepers in tiers above it. For what it's worth it's not the only OU mon with a low rank though, Lokix is in C too and Maushold sits all the way down in D lmao.
Yeah I just saw the Gyra post so cheers. Ik that usage doesn't equal good but I wasn't sure so thank you for that and yes I might Annihilape cheers!

I do believe that Tauros-Paldea-Water should be at least C-, because while it is most of the time worse than it's fire variant and gets outclassed by Quaquaval most of the time, there is one niche going for it: Intimidate combined with stealth rocks resistance
Water Tauros can easily run assault vest and tank Chi-Yu and other pokemon, and while it isn't the best niche it is still alright at its job. It also has more initial speed than Quaquaval, and can easily revenge kill Chi-Yu unless it is chipped

-1 252+ Atk Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros-Paldea-Water: 110-132 (37.8 - 45.3%) -- approx. 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros-Paldea-Water: 127-150 (43.6 - 51.5%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Sheer Force Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tauros-Paldea-Water: 174-206 (59.7 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tauros-Paldea-Water Raging Bull vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chi-Yu: 318-374 (126.6 - 149%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I believe that this water bull can have a niche in the meta, and it might not be better than its fire variant, it still has a niche and should be D/C- tier.

Tauros-Paldea-Water @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Raging Bull
- Close Combat
- Wild Charge

I do believe that Tauros-Paldea-Water should be at least C-, because while it is most of the time worse than it's fire variant and gets outclassed by Quaquaval most of the time, there is one niche going for it: Intimidate combined with stealth rocks resistance
Water Tauros can easily run assault vest and tank Chi-Yu and other pokemon, and while it isn't the best niche it is still alright at its job. It also has more initial speed than Quaquaval, and can easily revenge kill Chi-Yu unless it is chipped

-1 252+ Atk Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros-Paldea-Water: 110-132 (37.8 - 45.3%) -- approx. 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Great Tusk Headlong Rush vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tauros-Paldea-Water: 127-150 (43.6 - 51.5%) -- 9.8% chance to 2HKO
+2 252 SpA Sheer Force Chi-Yu Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Tauros-Paldea-Water: 174-206 (59.7 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tauros-Paldea-Water Raging Bull vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chi-Yu: 318-374 (126.6 - 149%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I believe that this water bull can have a niche in the meta, and it might not be better than its fire variant, it still has a niche and should be D/C- tier.

Tauros-Paldea-Water @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Water
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Raging Bull
- Close Combat
- Wild Charge
You're not supposed to Nom until we can't ask questions anymore, or maybe we can't I might be wrong

Imo breloom isn’t good enough b+ rank, spore isn’t as good in a meta where gholdengo is so common, and it doesn’t have the highest power. Seeing it next to iron hands and baxcalibur is wild
Not really wild at all. Breloom has powerful priority to check a large amount of big threats from Chi-Yu to Roaring Moon to Kingambit to Chien-Pao. Mach Punch also cleans up weakened mons quite nicely and provides nice utility against Cyclizar in preventing it from freely shed tailing. Spore isn't as automatic as it could be but it is still a potent weapon for generating turns, and Breloom also has a nice secondary stab in technician bullet seed to break through pokemon.

I meant Toedscruel clicking Earth Power on Gholdengo. It's so weird that all the Toedscruel fanboys are so insistent on highlighting Toeds' ability to Spore Ghold when I'm just like. Literally click Earth Power and you already 2HKO it lmao.

And you can't look at a literal A- Rank mon and say it has "no niche" over some unranked meme mon. Toeds' lack of relevant resistances prevents it from handling Valiant, Breloom, Hands, Rain abusers, Azumarill etc even close to as reliably Amoonguss does. One is actually an important defensive centerpiece of the metagame and the other is something that clicks Spore that ignores some abilities.
Toedscruel has the most value as another hazard clear option that can match up well with Gholdengo. Spore on Gholdengo covers for things like Air Balloon, Tera, or the opponent switching into an unexpected pokemon. It's not uncommon for players to take measures against Ground type moves on Gholdengo given the prevalence of the Paradox Donphans.

It should also be noted that Spore from Toedscruel hits other pokemon like Garganacl. If there is no grass type to switch into, you can ensure something sleeps regardless of potential abilities. With mons like Breloom and Amoongus, Spore is a lot more difficult to pull off. It's far more likely the opposing team with have Spore immunities with the prevalence of Gholdengo and Garganacl. Toedscruel's Spore is potentially much more abusable. Either something sleeps or the Grass type switching is really predictable.

Furthermore, Toedscruel gets other status moves like Toxic and Stun Spore, both of which can hit Gholdengo and Garganacl. For whatever it is worth, it also gets Hex and Venoshock.

As far as Toedcruel's resistances go, it shouldn't be handling most of those pokemon you mentioned because those are mostly physical attackers and Toedscruel is literally designed to be specially defensive. You have to find something else for Chi-Yu, but that was already the case.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Where's Tinkaton? Surely it has some sort of niche due to its good typing, moves, and passable stats.
It's pretty good for what it is, ability to setup Stealth Rocks, decent typing, Knock Off, and it's unique move Gigaton Hammer (which has a BP 160 not included STAB). I think the reason it hasn't been included is because of it's mediocre attack stats and it having an unimpressive physical defense, combine that with being weak to Fire / Ground. It has a place in UU but in OU, I can't think of much viability. Espathra is UU but is extremely broken so it'll always have viability in OU (Calm Mind + Stored Power + Roost / Protect set) and ( Scarf Lumina Crash Trick set) there's a lot of interest with those 2 sets where it translates real well in OU.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
What normal mence set is the most viable?
I think this:
:salamence:
Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
Tera Type: Flying
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dual Wingbeat
- Outrage
- Earthquake

I would say the only thing you can potentially change is go with Tera Blast and Tera Type Fire to take care of Corviknight, EQ is more for Gholdengo

Questions like these should be posted here or here

I don't think this is necessarily on topic but when I first saw Tinkaton I totally thought it got Huge Power

Back on topic, is Revavroom doing anything? It has a combo of Filter and a decent defensive type, Shift Gear to sweep

also does Cyclizar care about Shift Gear? I heard it doesn't

Where’s Wo-Chien? It has surprising bulk with its ability and knock off+ leech seed, two devastating moves. It even has screen utility. In my opinion, more of a balance Grimmsnarl with Leech Seed.

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Where’s Wo-Chien? It has surprising bulk with its ability and knock off+ leech seed, two devastating moves. It even has screen utility. In my opinion, more of a balance Grimmsnarl with Leech Seed.
its typing is bad. grass/dark is REALLY bad, especially on a defensive pokemon. you’re basically forced to burn your tera if you want an actually good defensive typing.

I could see Charizard being moved toC+ with the scraf set but do understand the current placemat of C

I moslty think C+ Given the current strength of sun teams and how relatively easy it is to keep with mons like tokel hat and great.

while chin yu is his biggest competition for a spots they do work together pretty good andthis can allow them to run different sets from each other like a choice to boost and with zard tera fire be can basically have both specs and scraf while under sun

that’s my thoughts atlest

I think Wo-Chien deserves to be in the list. In the D-Rank, but it deserves to be in the list.

Yeah, Grass/Dark is a bad type but:
-Bulky with very good defensive stats
-Useful ability that drops the attack of the opponent
-Leech Seed + Knock Off combo
-Can put screens
-Has more utility moves in the form of Stun Spore and Taunt
-Can use Body Press in advantage to its bulk
-Can be used in a myriad of different ways thanks to is moveset and offensive stats

Yeah, I know the typing is bad and there is other stuff that does the walling and supporting better. But I think Wo-Chien has still a good combination of stats, ability and movepool that allow it to enter in the viability ranking in the D-Rank position.

Why is Scream tail SO low? its in the same rank as ... sylveon a pokemon it almost outclasses. Its fast as hell while being tanky as hell and supporting its teammates like ting lu with wish. while being annoying as hell wit wish tec and encore . a bulky mon that outspeeds chomp yeah thats a great speed tier. I know relying on wish is a bit inconsistent but its def better than mons like pex and even loom imao

I suppose, but is defensive Tera not a good use?
Defensive tera can work on pokemon. But there are just better users of tera as defensive pokemon Skeledirge for example.

Why is Scream tail SO low? its in the same rank as ... sylveon a pokemon it almost outclasses. Its fast as hell while being tanky as hell and supporting its teammates like ting lu with wish. while being annoying as hell wit wish tec and encore . a bulky mon that outspeeds chomp yeah thats a great speed tier. I know relying on wish is a bit inconsistent but its def better than mons like pex and even loom imao
Sylveon has a greater offensive presence than Scream Tail who is horrifically paasive. Yeah encore and utility but it has basically non existant offensive presence, lack of reliable recovery (wish is exploitable af). Pex is not especially great atm but it at least has longevity and can spread poison status. And then you say Tail is better than Loom? Like... Seriously...? I already said why Loom is good (and what holds it back right now) just a couple posts back so i won't be repeating myself but no, Tail is not even remotely close to as good.

Why is cetitan so low? Snow is pretty strong against non screens offense, he has a lot of bulk to set up and can prevent revange killing with ice shard, he can beat pretty much every offensive mon in the high ranks, sure it dislikes unaware mons but it fills a role simillar to arctozolt last gen but with better bulk, speed and a better weather

Why is cetitan so low? Snow is pretty strong against non screens offense, he has a lot of bulk to set up and can prevent revange killing with ice shard, he can beat pretty much every offensive mon in the high ranks, sure it dislikes unaware mons but it fills a role simillar to arctozolt last gen but with better bulk, speed and a better weather
I agree it's way too low, however differences between it and Arctzolt are:
1. Zolt was a threat the moment it entered into field due to Bolteam coverage. Cetitan has just one STAB and needs to spend a turn using risky Belly Drum.
2. Zolt actually had Electric and Flying resists, Cetitan just has increased bulk, but only 1 resist.
3. Ninetales was way better as a setter than Abomasnow and Slowking will ever be.
4. Zolt smashed offense and defense alike. Cetitan is stopped cold by Dondozo, Scizor and Skeledirge. Breloom and it's Mach Punch didn't exist in Zolt Meta.

It probably should be like C and Abomasnow too, but it doesn't have the same power level Zolt (or even Alolan Sandslash, who was never ranked but was a good Mon regardless) did at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)