Resource SV OU Viability Ranking Thread [ UPDATE: POST #751 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes Scovilliain useful? Dude be lookin like a glorified Victreebel to me
I guess Fire is a better secondary type than Poison (I guess?) but I digress
Sun is very good right now and I imagine there's a lot of value in natural Fire typing (Sun mons frequently have to pick between high speed and STAB-Sun Boosted moves compared to Rain) to make it a lot harder to switch into compared to Grass or "Weather STAB" coverage like Weather Ball.

Probably not great but it's a strong candidate for the best Chlorophyll user since (possibly even with) Venusaur, which stands out for experimenting more as long as Paradoxes and Torkoal's own decent performance keep Sun eating decently.

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
when the thread opens?
isn't the reason why we are allowed to comment on the thread so we can make nominations?
when will the thread open for them?
3rd post of the thread
With this said, the thread is now open!

You may ask questions about why things are ranked where they are, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use control+f to see if duplicate questions are there so I do not have to answer the same thing numerous times. We will try to keep questions open for 24h and get to everyone within the next few days.

Then, nominations will be open as per normal (meaning they are not yet).

post away!

Earth Power does nothing to Toed though? It actually resists Earth Power lol, since it's Grass/Ground and it has 120 special defense. You are tripping bud

Amoongus has virtually no niche over Toed in the meta atm, as Toed handles two of the best mons in the tier. Knock Off deters many potential Toed switch ins too.
I meant Toedscruel clicking Earth Power on Gholdengo. It's so weird that all the Toedscruel fanboys are so insistent on highlighting Toeds' ability to Spore Ghold when I'm just like. Literally click Earth Power and you already 2HKO it lmao.

And you can't look at a literal A- Rank mon and say it has "no niche" over some unranked meme mon. Toeds' lack of relevant resistances prevents it from handling Valiant, Breloom, Hands, Rain abusers, Azumarill etc even close to as reliably Amoonguss does. One is actually an important defensive centerpiece of the metagame and the other is something that clicks Spore that ignores some abilities.

Why's Lokix so...low?
The fact it's ranked at all surprises me really. While Tinted Lens First Impression is cool, it's quite literally all the mon has going for it--other than that it's stuck with so-so Attack and low base power moves. It can't wallbreak at all, can't clean either since First Impression is one-time and 102 Atk Sucker isn't doing the job on its own (you're never ever getting up a Swords Dance with this) and poor bulk+Stealth Rock weakness+you really cannot run Boots if you want to have acceptable damage output means no defensive utility either. Lokix was cool in like the first couple days where everyone was spamming HO because First Impression was free kills upon revenge, right now it's nearly deadweight against any team with any semblance of bulk.

Last edited:
Amoongus has virtually no niche over Toed in the meta atm
look I agree that toedscruel does things that amoongus can't but saying that amoongus has little to no niches over toed is just flat out wrong, amoongus has regenerator, toedscruel has leftovers. amoongus has a significantly better defensive typing, better physical bulk, handles several dangerous threats that toed can't even dream of dealing with, absorbs tspikes, the list goes on. theres a reason that amoongus is the a- mon and that toedscruel is currently in ur (even if it should definitely be at least c imo)

What makes Scovilliain useful? Dude be lookin like a glorified Victreebel to me
when your best competition for a chlorophyll mon is liligant, you tend to be pretty decent.

Wondering why Floatzel is ranked… at all? I don’t see any reason to use it over any of the other water types in the tier. It’s fast, yes, and Wave Crash is cool, but I don’t see it really doing anything to any top tier pokemon. A lack of a good boosting move and chipping itself very fast also don't help it at all. I honestly think Maushold is better, and although they do completely separate things, they are both fast but weak and frail pokemon that lose to top tiers.

Somthing that for sure should be ranked:

Flamigo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Roost/Copycat/Terablast/Facade/Whatever

Really good speed tier, faster than scarf Gholdengo and +1 Baxcalibur, unresisted stabs thanks to Scrappy, Tera Fighting CC kills Dragapult from full 75% of the time, resists Sucker Punch, one of the few ground immunes, doesn't get hit by spikes and neutral to rocks. One of the best revenge killers in the meta. Doesn't offer a lot defensively which makes hard to fit on teams in this broken ass meta, but it's definitely has viability similar to those in C tier. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1739508352

Last edited:
Just curious why Skeledirge is ranked as highly as it is. Unaware is amazing and it’s bulk + Torch Song definitely does the work, but it’s typing leaves a bit to be desired defensively.

Thanks for all of the effort Finch!
If I were to guess...

Unaware + Will-O-Wisp+ Bulk lets it be a colossal pain versus physically offensive 'mons and set-up 'mons in general, and while its typing isn't the best defensively, that bulk plus the aforementioned elements above is the real deal, allowing it to take big hits and stall/recover if it gets the burn, and rinse/repeat from there.

While it is a 'mon that absolutely benefits from Tera, and the hazard-stacking centered meta is not too fond for non-HDB item slots, it's good because of access to Unaware + Recovery + Will-O-Wisp that can be used versus primarily physical and set-up opponents coming in, like Dragonite, while also being anti-Sub with Torch Song, which ensures it isn't totally passive and can hit decently hard. But a burn from this 'mon is a death sentence if you are a physical attacker.

Last edited:

Fusion Flare

i have hired this cat to stare at you
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Quaquaval is an interesting pokemon, but even so, I have my doubts about it being B+.
Pokemon like Iron Hands, Breloom and Baxcalibur are far more worthy of the rank than Quaquaval. I know that Chi-Yu is ridiculously good, but certainly not to the point that a pokemon as thoroughly mediocre as Quaquaval is so high up.

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Wondering why Floatzel is ranked… at all? I don’t see any reason to use it over any of the other water types in the tier. It’s fast, yes, and Wave Crash is cool, but I don’t see it really doing anything to any top tier pokemon. A lack of a good boosting move and chipping itself very fast also don't help it at all. I honestly think Maushold is better, and although they do completely separate things, they are both fast but weak and frail pokemon that lose to top tiers.
Floatzel gives off an extremely strong wave crash. It is able to even ohko, or 2hko most of the tier...even 3hko walls like dondozo in the rain which is a pretty big deal since most physical attackers can't touch that mon. It is arguably the best rain abuser in the tier and with such limited water resistance on current popular team structures due to the lack of water abusers in the tier...Floatzel certainly stands out and can be extremely effective in this current metagame where its switch-ins are very limited.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1741091697-ot9tcb1exycl8gj29hv1r7q0lwrtfrupw

Here's a replay of Floatzel being very effective in a match to show you an example of how it's very scary in this current meta.

252+ Atk Choice Band Floatzel Wave Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo in Rain: 181-214 (35.9 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Floatzel Wave Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash in Rain: 191-225 (62.8 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Floatzel Wave Crash vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss in Rain: 275-324 (63.6 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Floatzel Wave Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragapult in Rain: 350-412 (110.4 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Just curious why Skeledirge is ranked as highly as it is. Unaware is amazing and it’s bulk + Torch Song definitely does the work, but it’s typing leaves a bit to be desired defensively.

Thanks for all of the effort Finch!
Skeledrige has the ability to wall a decent amount of threats with its ability unaware of course. It's able to beat notable scary mons like Hatt, Valiant (lacking shadow ball), Volcarona, & Iron Moth. It also forces these mons out allowing it to then weaken whatever countermeasure you have for it with a stab torch song that also rises its spa every time it clicks it. It also is able to wear down its countermeasures with wisp most notably Ting Lu & Garchomp which generally are forced to phase it out. Due to tera once it weakens most of its checks/measures it then can turn into a fairy/water type and finish up the job and win late game potentially if played properly. It generally is not pressured by hazards due to heavy-duty boots and lack of knock-off distribution. It is able to be a nuisance for the entirety of the game and I feel most should grimace when it shows up in a game.

Last edited:
Lokix has a weakness to rocks and is vulnerable to every form of hazard, meaning you HAVE to run boots and sacrifice some damage. Also, relying on First Impression (first turn only) or Sucker Punch (50/50) is risky at best when you can lose games after 1 turn of setup. Besides, pair of scissors and boxing mushroom are better revenge killers, scissors having actual bulk and a good defensive typing while mushroom has access to Spore. Both can also tech for Gholdengo with Thief/Bulldoze.
A weakness to hazards and rocks is true (though I happen to typically run LO lol) but with tinted lens and therefore a lack of resists First Impression and Sucker Punch still hit a lot of mons hard. Also, what Scizor/Breloom runs thief/bulldoze?

Last edited:
A weakness to hazards and rocks is true (though I happen to typically run LO lol) but with tinted lens and therefore a lack of resists First Impression and Sucker Punch still hit a lot of mons hard. Also, what Scizor/Breloom runs thief/bulldoze?
On offensive things sure, but defensive mons like Corviknight, Clodsire, Skeledirge (post-Tera, but frankly even before that because you can just Wisp as it Suckers if it doesn't have another Dark move), Dondozo, Amoonguss etc laugh at it. Like I said it's decentish into offensive builds but it just doesn't make progress at all against fatter teams, even against things like BO at most it forces some breakers out sometimes but with how hard it is to get in and how easy it is to force out itself that's often a net loss.

The Scizor/Breloom that want to not get walled by the literal most used mon in the tier run Thief/Bulldoze. Technician boosts those moves up to a pretty acceptable 90BP.

On offensive things sure, but defensive mons like Corviknight, Clodsire, Skeledirge (post-Tera, but frankly even before that because you can just Wisp as it Suckers if it doesn't have another Dark move), Dondozo, Amoonguss etc laugh at it. Like I said it's decentish into offensive builds but it just doesn't make progress at all against fatter teams, even against things like BO at most it forces some breakers out sometimes but with how hard it is to get in and how easy it is to force out itself that's often a net loss.

The Scizor/Breloom that want to not get walled by the literal most used mon in the tier run Thief/Bulldoze. Technician boosts those moves up to a pretty acceptable 90BP.
True that Lokix is dealt with by a good amount of physical walls, and struggles against more defensively oriented teams.

Shoot, I forgot about that-thanks for reminding me about technician.

Is it possible to bump Slither Wings up to B+ at least?

Tera-Bug STAB First impression coming from a 135 base attack is good against the Ruination mons and to revenge kill offensive threats. U-Turn is also a really nice as a pivot. I have also been using a bulky set with Wisp & Morning sun, which actually helps cripple Corvinight & lets you wall Great Tusk. This mon can be used both offensively and defensively. Being able to resist ground, dark and fighting is really helpful as well. You can also give it leech Life as a way to recover health.

-252+ attack Tera Bug/life orb/choice band First impression OHKOes Chi Yu, Chien Pao & does around 40% to Ting Lu.
- Wisp + Morning sun walls Great Tusk.

Attachments

BeeOrSomething

Daylight Savings Time sucks
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
If you feel strongly, you’re welcome to make a formal nomination when the thread opens up to nominations.
Keep in mind nominating anything from UR mandates replays of your own and substance filled explanations though.

Corvi is really only good because it’s a Ground immune and Steel type, providing it commodity status. Kingambit is one of the strongest physical attackers and breakers that had an awesome late game presence and makes up for lackluster speed with Sucker Punch. Corv also only fits into more balanced teams while you can see Kingambit normally on offense and even as a win condition on other styles as well!
I run a lot of bo with corv and it excels
But thank you for the insight

Imo breloom isn’t good enough b+ rank, spore isn’t as good in a meta where gholdengo is so common, and it doesn’t have the highest power. Seeing it next to iron hands and baxcalibur is wild

Where's Glaceon? /Sarcasm

Genuinely though, was there a reason why Veluza wasn't on here? I guess he's pretty frail, but I've seen him do some work on Grimmsnarl teams.

Where's Glaceon? /Sarcasm

Genuinely though, was there a reason why Veluza wasn't on here? I guess he's pretty frail, but I've seen him do some work on Grimmsnarl teams.
Between hazards and killing itself to get set up it dies before doing anything. Even if it does set up priority ruins it. it’s weak to sucker punch, revenged by E-killer Dnite, gets outsped by booster valiant even with jolly, etc. and gets walled to hell by dondozo. Also 102 attack even with sharpness is just ok. If your going to kill yourself to set up azu does it better with much stronger priority, a bigger immediate threat, and a valuable typing where vuvuzela needs to boost to be a threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)