Project SV OU - Pokemon Matchmaking (Week 4: Volcarona)

Can I give a request that we ban screen setters, hazard setters or things like that if it does not have a specific, unique role with that unique 'mon? Otherwise, someone could just slap on a screens mon mindlessly for literally any offensive mon. IDK if this would be possible, just curious. If any of the hosts could tell me, that would be appreciated. For example, with all of these mons: :dragapult::dragonite::gholdengo::great tusk::gouging fire:I could literally just submit :ninetales-alola:. If not possible, I appreciate it, but could we consider this?

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Can I give a request that we ban screen setters, hazard setters or things like that if it does not have a specific, unique role with that unique 'mon? Otherwise, someone could just slap on a screens mon mindlessly for literally any offensive mon. IDK if this would be possible, just curious. If any of the hosts could tell me, that would be appreciated. For example, with all of these mons: :dragapult::dragonite::gholdengo::great tusk::gouging fire:I could literally just submit :ninetales-alola:. If not possible, I appreciate it, but could we consider this?
If it becomes an issue we will change the rules but otherwise we will just trust that people try to be creative or at least justify why the pokemon has specific synergy with the suggested set.

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
And the winner of this week is :rillaboom: by Magcargo! Thank you all for your participation!

Round 3: NP Darkrai
:sv/darkrai:

Darkrai @ Life Orb / Expert Belt / Leftovers / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Ice Beam / Focus Blast / Will-o-wisp
- Nasty Plot

Darkrai has proven itself to be a unique threat with passable bulk, excellent speed, and access to moves like Nasty Plot to boost its power, as well as Knock Off, Will-o-wisp, and Taunt for utility. It can serve as speed control (though usually not as the fastest Pokemon) for many styles of teams. It can support teammates by breaking special walls like Ting Lu and Clefable, outspeeding and revenging common threats like Ogerpon, and pressuring opposing offense teams with its speed and power. However, it is slower than the many Booster Energy Speed pokemon in the tier as well as Dragapult and Zamazenta, almost all of which threaten kills with STAB or coverage moves. It also is forced out by the omnipresent Kingambit if you use the more reliable option of Ice Beam as coverage. What Pokemon can you think of that benefit from NP Darkrai's strengths and reinforce its weaknesses?​

Last edited:

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Sash Hexpult
:sv/dragapult:
Dragapult @ Focus Sash
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Sorry, I took a while to get to this one. Basically the gist is that pult outspeeds and cripples a lot of mons that Darkai has trouble with such as Kingambit and Zamazenta. The latter is switched in on by Pult. They both work together to break special walls such as Ting Lu and Clefable. A more Atk invested Dragapult helps you break Unaware Clodsire and Bissey.

Last edited:
:SV/raging bolt:
Raging Bolt @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 64 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Thunderclap
- Dragon Pulse
- Tera Blast/Weather Ball
Raging Bolt is a great 'mon, who has priority which can decimate the Booster Energy Speed 'mons that trouble Darkrai. This Bolt can Tera Blast Fire, which allows it to do good things under sun-Weather Ball is also a good thing for it. This mon can take advantage of Darkrai breaking special walls, which can allow it to set up sufficient Calm Minds to sweep.

Last edited:

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
:SV/deoxys-speed:
Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb or (Expert Belt, Choice Specs)
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam/Shadow Ball/Substitute/Nasty Plot
Deoxys speed will be faster than most OU pokemon. It can often defeat or at least weaken zamazenta, dragapult, iron valiant and other counters of darkrai with these coverage move and it's pretty strong signature move psycho boost. Life orb, expert belt and choice specs all increase the damage of deoxys in different ways. This is about preference and I personally prefer life orb cause it's the most consistent out of those three.
If your team allows you to drop a coverage move substitute would also be good option cause deoxys speed is extremely weak against priority.
I don't really like lead deoxys but I've been using this offensive set and it's pretty good.

Last edited:

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
:sv/gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 24 Spe
- Protect
- U-turn
- Toxic/Spikes
- Facade
Specially defensive gliscor is a massive help to darkrai, as it can help against a lot kingambit, zamazenta, iron valiant and dragapult. With this ev spread, gliscor can take one specs draco meteor or two hexes from dragapult with protect, allowing it to get off a toxic if you have it. If you're really scared of dragapult, tera normal completely blanks hex and also allows facade to deal impressive damage. Against zama, it does have to be careful it decides to tera steel and sub, but then darkrai can tera poison and dark pulse to try and finish it off. Kingambit is 2hit ko'd by e-quake, meaning it can't come in safely against gliscor, while non black glasses +2 5 allies supreme overlord boosted sucker punch only has a 37.5% chance to OHKO, though black glasses' version always ohko, but gliscor can try to play around it with careful protects'. Against iron valiant, only +2 moonblast ko's gliscor, meaning it can get a toxic off in a pinch, which means you can periodically protect stall if they don't have encore.
Gliscor can also help in getting darkrai in by using a slow u-turn, with 24 speed iv's still outspeeding jolly gambit, which means darkrai can start blasting things easier. It can also toxic, which is the recommended option for this set, so darkrai can drop will-o-wisp for more coverage. You also can use spikes which can chip opponents better into darkrai ko range. It also hits pretty hard with tera normal facade, though fighting types do have to be taken care of beforehand.
Some calcs:
4 Atk Tera Normal Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Zamazenta: 85-102 (26.1 - 31.3%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
76 Atk Dragapult Dragon Darts (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Tera Normal Gliscor: 92-110 (31.6 - 37.8%) -- approx. 64.5% chance to 4HKO after Poison Heal
4 Atk Tera Normal Gliscor Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Dragapult: 147-174 (46.3 - 54.8%) -- 60.5% chance to 2HKO
4 Atk Tera Normal Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Darkrai: 159-187 (56.5 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 16 SpD Tera Normal Gliscor: 274-324 (77.8 - 92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
4 Atk Tera Normal Gliscor Facade (140 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 159-187 (40.6 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Unfortunately, we will not be accepting this submission as it has been deemed unviable by myself and the other hosts. While we encourage users to submit less-used sets that synergize especially well with the assigned pokemon, we want to hold the project to a certain standard of quality. As such, everyone please make sure that any future submissions could be/are viably used to success on ladder or in tournament. If you are confused as to why this specific set was rejected, please reach out.

Unfortunately, we will not be accepting this submission as it has been deemed unviable by myself and the other hosts. While we encourage users to submit less-used sets that synergize especially well with the assigned pokemon, we want to hold the project to a certain standard of quality. As such, everyone please make sure that any future submissions could be/are viably used to success on ladder or in tournament. If you are confused as to why this specific set was rejected, please reach out.
Wait, was it because I forgot toxic heal?

(Thank you to leng loi for helping me out)
:sv/hatterene:
Hatterene @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magic Bounce
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 164 SpA / 68 SpD / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nuzzle/Psyshock
- Draining Kiss
- Mystical Fire
- Future Sight
Assault vest hatterene can take on many opponents that may threaten darkrai's sweep. Due to it's typing, hatterene can take on the many faster than darkrai mons in the tier, including dragapult as it can't get statused by wisp or t-wave. From this position, hatterene can set up a future sight, which can help darkrai in breaking down bulky mons or resists such as zamazenta. The main issue with this core is the weakness to kingambit if darkrai decides to forgo focus blast, which is where nuzzle comes in. When paralyzed, non jolly gambit is outsped by hatterene, which means it can get off a guarenteed mystical fire to hit gambit for more than half it's health. If dakrai has focus blast on it however, psyshock is a suitable replacement. Draining kiss deals good damage to most mons, including dragapult and zama, while giving hatterene a form of recovery. Tera poison allows hatterene to deal with dragapult better, while still dealing with iron valiant and zamazenta better.
In return, darkrai deals with the ghold's that could be a problem to it and glowking's that could try to deal great damage to it.

Offensive Lead Glimmora
:SV/GLIMMORA:
Glimmora @ Power Herb
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Dazzling Gleam
Glimmora does two things. Chipping tanks, which is needed for Darkrai to set up better, and setting hazards, which are very useful, as a mon that has sash may easily be one-twoed by a nightmare and a long-dead mon.

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Round 3 Voting and Host Highlights
:sv/darkrai:
Highlighted Posts
:dragapult: by leng loi
:deoxys-speed: by trainer_j0nathan
Voting
:dragapult: by leng loi
:raging-bolt: by NotDaProGamer
:deoxys-speed: by trainer_j0nathan
:hatterene: by Heatranator

Clicking on minisprites links to the original post. You may vote on 2 options. Voting closes at 11:59 PM April 1 GMT -7.

(NotDaProGamer your 2nd submission was not accepted as we want to keep it to 1 submission per user and we deemed your first to be higher quality)

(NotDaProGamer your 2nd submission was not accepted as we want to keep it to 1 submission per user and we deemed your first to be higher quality)​
Round 2 Voting and Highlights
:SV/Raging Bolt:

:Rillaboom: by Magcargo
Voting
:Jirachi: by NotDaProGamer
:Rillaboom: by Magcargo
:Kingambit: by Valteyek
:Roaring Moon: by Valteyek
Why me? How is gambit and moon allowed to stand then? I might be missing something, please tell me if I am. If I saw it right, Valteyek made theirs on the 21st and on the 22nd, so the 3-day rule does not apply for them, so it should be fine for me, cause I did it on the 25th and the 27th too, which is a bit longer between. I could be wrong, maybe the two are actually good and mine isn't. I don't know, 'cause hazards does fit for the reasons I mentioned and you did say if I justified something as long as it didn't become a problem in response to my question about hazards and screens users.

Last edited:

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
Winner of this week is :deoxys-speed: by trainer_j0nathan!

Round 4: Volcarona (both sample sets)
:sv/Volcarona:

Approved sets are here

With the Volcarona suspect test has just beginning, I thought it would be cool to do a Volcarona week so you get one. Volcarona is a potent setup sweeper with its combination of Terastalization, Quiver Dance, and Flame Body alongside a wide movepool with recovery, all the coverage it could need with moves like Bug Buzz and Psychic; three excellent Fire STAB moves in Flamethrower, Fiery Dance, and Fire Blast; and Tera Blast as if its coverage wasn't good enough already. What Pokemon can pair with Volcarona to crush any unprepared team that stands in their way?

Deadline for submissions is Friday, April 19th at 11:59 GMT-8. Read the OP before submitting.

:sv/kingambit:
Kingambit @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Kowtow Cleave
- Iron Head

Kingambit is an excellent teammate for Volcarona, being able to patch up Volcarona's speed issue and allowing it to get even more strength if it goes down. Additionally, Volcarona's deterrence of fighting types is very useful for the quad-weak Gambit. Volcarona also cannot do much damage against Glowking, so Gambit is useful to deter its stabs (which it is immune to). Also, both of the setup mons both can easily slot onto a screen team which would support them both. Gambit can also break any Stored Power Unaware mons, which may inconvenience Volcarona. veti, is this OK?

Last edited:

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
:sv/kingambit:
Kingambit @ Black Glasses
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Kowtow Cleave
- Iron Head
From the SmogDex itself: Kingambit makes for a stellar teammate, as its immunity to both of Galarian Slowking's STAB moves complements Volcarona's ability to deter Fighting-types like Zamazenta, and its strong Sucker Punch acts as good insurance against Booster Energy Iron Boulder, which otherwise outspeeds Volcarona and effortlessly OHKOes it with Mighty Cleave.

Yep, that's literally it.
Won't reject the submission, but put it in your own words

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)