Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

I mean the playstyles won't go away sure but compare Rain in DLC1 vs Rain in DLC2. Drizzle wasn't broken then, what's different now? The answer of course is Archaludon and maybe Raging Bolt.
i dunno, looking back on it, it seems like rain could've just been undiscovered tech in dlc1 because no one knew how to use treads right. sure, we didn't have archaludon or raging bolt, but there were waterpon and manaphy, both of whom i still maintain were broken, and zapdos was a fantastic mon that could also have served as a rain abuser and barraskewda helper. maybe rain would have popped up as a super strong playstyle in dlc1 given a couple more months, we'll never know

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
So true Dragapultuser55 this is why we all think you should be council leader and not finch
dragapult is cooler than garchomp so i think dragapultuser55 should be OU tier leader actually

i dunno, looking back on it, it seems like rain could've just been undiscovered tech in dlc1 because no one knew how to use treads right. sure, we didn't have archaludon or raging bolt, but there were waterpon and manaphy, both of whom i still maintain were broken, and zapdos was a fantastic mon that could also have served as a rain abuser and barraskewda helper. maybe rain would have popped up as a super strong playstyle in dlc1 given a couple more months, we'll never know
rain went unused in DLC1 because one of the most splashable pokemon in the tier (ogerpon) completely destroyed rain. nothing could take it on after it set up an SD, not even bulky resists like amoonguss. and because of this, i find the introduction of pokemon like archaludon in DLC2 to be necessary for rain to find success in OU. since without it, you auto-lose to ogerpon

(decided to edit since i disagreed with the notion that rain was simply undiscovered in DLC1 and i also didn't want this post to be a one-liner)

Last edited:
dragapult is cooler than garchomp so i think dragapultuser55 should be OU tier leader actually

rain went unused in DLC1 because one of the most splashable pokemon in the tier (ogerpon) completely destroyed rain. nothing could take it on after an SD, not even amoonguss. so the introduction of pokemon like archaludon was, in my opinion, necessary for rain to find success. since without it, your team is now extremely weak to ogerpon

(decided to edit since i disagreed with the notion that rain was simply undiscovered in DLC1 and i also didn't want this post to be a one-liner)
Tech such as poison jab barraskewda and fast thunder mons could have made it broken, since ogerpon was usually the only thing in the team stopping the rain assault. We have always had Barra, we just forgot that it was so powerful if ogerpon was taken care of.

A few people replied to my other comment, I in fact never said sun was bad, but the absurd power of rain makes it very matchup fishy which inherently makes it less reliable. The fact that "gouging fire can in fact win games with choice band" does not a target of tiering action make
wait, hang on. didn't you want rillaboom and stored power banned in dlc1 because they made stall "unviable"? you even compared rillaboom to chi-yu. but now you're perfectly fine with a mon that's actually comparable in damage output to chi-yu and 6-0s stall on preview? your mind is very interesting

senorlopez

Formerly Ricardo [old]
I know this goes against tiering policy, and the reasons for why, but wouldn't it be nice if we could just ban electro shot instead of getting rid of an under explored mon or nerfing an entire archetype?

I get why things are done as they are but I personally feel like if an exclusive move or ability that pushes a mon over the edge, can that just be banned instead? Again, personal opinion, I just see an increase in busted exclusive moves / abilities being released and think we could be more nuanced / update our philosophy.

ive resorted to using dragon tail archaludon on a spikes balance team as my answer to opposing archaludon and hoping it gets worn down by hazards.

im beginning to reconsider my stance on archaludon from the last survey.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
I know this goes against tiering policy, and the reasons for why, but wouldn't it be nice if we could just ban electro shot instead of getting rid of an under explored mon or nerfing an entire archetype?

I get why things are done as they are but I personally feel like if an exclusive move or ability that pushes a mon over the edge, can that just be banned instead? Again, personal opinion, I just see an increase in busted exclusive moves / abilities being released and think we could be more nuanced / update our philosophy.
if i recall, banning specific moves is only possible if it's proven that the move is broken on multiple pokemon. kinda like how annihilape is currently banned while rage fist is legal

I think the sentiment is fair enough, gamefreaks way of doing things has changed, I don't see why we can't change teiring policy. Having said that I don't like the idea of kneecapping pokemon to keep them around. Since its the only one that gets electroshot, it doesnt feel right to nerf it into submission. I would've much preferred a darkrai/valiant suspect over a sleep ban. If certain pokemon are broken by taking advantage of a mechanic and others aren't, they're the problem not the mechanic itself. Counter example is last respects, every pokemon was broken with that so the mechanic had to go.

I think roaring moon might be the strong council consensus because I saw Ausma talking about how Roaring Moon's dragon dance set is still way too good, I know it's only the opinion of one council member but I know a lot of players are just as fed up with roaring moon as archaludon

My hunch is the next test is Roaring Moon, because yeah, bro should have never came back to OU to begin with

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
roaring moon could get another suspect test but i don't see the point in putting it on blast now. especially not when there's much more pressing matters at hand than RM

I think roaring moon might be the strong council consensus because I saw Ausma talking about how Roaring Moon's dragon dance set is still way too good, I know it's only the opinion of one council member but I know a lot of players are just as fed up with roaring moon as archaludon

My hunch is the next test is Roaring Moon, because yeah, bro should have never came back to OU to begin with
You're clearly failing to read the room as Finchinator has basically all but confirmed that Archaludon is the next suspect target. That would be the point of showing the image indicating Rain's dominance and also telling a poster that Gouging Fire, Roaring Moon, and Raging Bolt are not the consensus pick.

The only thing that is even reasonable about it is the decision between iron head and e-quake, with hatterene walling iron head-less sets and gambit walling e-quake less sets. It is bs, but the suspect is most likely archaludon, though if they do a bait and switch and do moon, that would be so funny.

senorlopez

Formerly Ricardo [old]
I think the sentiment is fair enough, gamefreaks way of doing things has changed, I don't see why we can't change teiring policy. Having said that I don't like the idea of kneecapping pokemon to keep them around. Since its the only one that gets electroshot, it doesnt feel right to nerf it into submission. I would've much preferred a darkrai/valiant suspect over a sleep ban. If certain pokemon are broken by taking advantage of a mechanic and others aren't, they're the problem not the mechanic itself. Counter example is last respects, every pokemon was broken with that so the mechanic had to go.
Agree with the vast majority of your post - I would just comment on that I think Archaludon would have plenty to provide to the tier aside from a rain dance sweeper / breaker which is why I was spit-balling.

it sucks that for the mons i like that end up banned i never use them in the problematic way. im running arch w rocks idef bpress and dtail and its good and its semiconsistent but like not overpowered. i ran magearna with spikes and taunt. i ran MAX HP AND PHYS DEF FLUTTER MANE for the two hours it was allowed. none of this are overpowered at all y'all be exaggerating

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
it sucks that for the mons i like that end up banned i never use them in the problematic way. im running arch w rocks idef bpress and dtail and its good and its semiconsistent but like not overpowered. i ran magearna with spikes and taunt. i ran MAX HP AND PHYS DEF FLUTTER MANE for the two hours it was allowed. none of this are overpowered at all y'all be exaggerating
IMG_2894.jpeg

blud is playing generation 10

Max HP and max PhysD Flutter Mane... the mon with 55/55/55 bulk. Bro should be glad we banned it so he could stop playing that garbage :worrywhirl:
Don't diss him, I mean, people have used physD Flutter Mane in VGC, so there was something to it. But uhh, there was plenty of better options then that set.

viivian

OU's sweetheart
is a Tiering Contributor
Don't diss him, I mean, people have used physD Flutter Mane in VGC, so there was something to it. But uhh, there was plenty of better options then that set.
that's because she dies in one hit if she doesn't invest in bulk. a complete nonfactor in singles but in VGC you can't really get away with not investing in bulk. unless you want your flutter mane to be ripped to shreds in 1-2 turns

I've been using assault vest azumarill on one of my teams, and it doesn't even get 2hit ko'd by HDB kyurem freeze dry, it's kinda amazing. Sadly, it doesn't live specs freeze dry, but oh well, hope it gets banned.

I would've much preferred a darkrai/valiant suspect over a sleep ban. If certain pokemon are broken by taking advantage of a mechanic and others aren't, they're the problem not the mechanic itself.
Shoutouts to Hisuian Lilligant and Venusaur being really problematic too. It was incredibly easy for them to land Sleep against other offensive threats under the Sun before they punched one or two holes in your team, maybe even sweeping it outright. Fast Sleep users in general were becoming a problem and I believe banning sleep was the right call, lest we start suspecting the other inevitable fast sleepers GameFreak will pump out in following Gens.