Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Like you said, there are only 48 pixels, so a percentage number is out of 100 and gives more information than cart.
I believe it's rounded to the nearest 1/48th, if I'm mistaken on that then yes, I would definitely support it being changed to do so, or even just to report the number as the nearest increment of 1/48.

Hp Percentage displays are also not on cart. You want to get rid of that and sleep clause?
This is a trap question designed to invalidate the opinion of anyone who answers it in your eyes: either we commit all the way for the sake of cart accuracy and agree to get rid of a QoL change that people would be upset about removing, turning public opinion against us, or we pick and choose what we want to be cart accurate about, undermining the argument. It’s bait, which is a jerk thing to do.

Fwiw, there’s a big difference between mods that affect QoL and mods that affect actual gameplay. Using the former to validate the latter is like using tiering decisions in ND or Doubles to make tiering decisions here: they just aren’t related and don’t have an affect on each other. PS is meant as a free and easy way to play Pokémon (which is needed from that $80CAD price tag). We’re still playing Pokémon with QoL changes, but we’re not when adjusting gameplay mechs.

This is a trap question designed to invalidate the opinion of anyone who answers it in your eyes: either we commit all the way for the sake of cart accuracy and agree to get rid of a QoL change that people would be upset about removing, turning public opinion against us, or we pick and choose what we want to be cart accurate about, undermining the argument. It’s bait, which is a jerk thing to do.
It’s a yes or no question. If you have an answer, you should be able to defend your position. Stop projecting.

In a debate, it’s normal to try to defeat people’s arguments. As for being a trap, the question is simple and isn’t loaded at all, you can answer no without assuming any part of the question. So if it undermines your argument, your argument is bad and isn’t because of the question being loaded.

Last edited:
It’s a yes or no question. If you have an answer, you should be able to defend your position. Stop projecting.
There's a huge difference between the two.

It is perfectly possible to tell the judge what HP your mon actually has, then they just whip out a calculator and write the percent on the board for your opponent. Boom, HP percent mod.

When you accidentally put the other guy's mon to sleep because they switched out their sleeping mon, what is the judge even supposed to do? DQ you? That's already different from the mechanics here.

If you kept reading, you would’ve seen that I did answer it.

As for your point about knowing how much you did affecting decisions, it’s kind of irrelevant for 2 reasons:

1. Everything is a role. If you do 50% one turn, you can do 48% the next and they can live. If you gauges your damage range before turn 1, you know whether or not you have a guaranteed 2hko. This ties into the next point:
2. Knowing the actual percent done isn’t important, knowing if you have a 2hko/3hko is, which is easy to do with a 48pixel bar. If necessary, it is possible to get a ruler for your game to figure it out

It's been said before, but with the survey coming up, I just want to reiterate some points from a few pages back regarding sleep. For most of the player base, discussion about sleep moves/sleep clause in Gen 9 OU did not start until Darkrai started running the move. And it's clear to see why. Just to break down why Darkrai, particularly the lead Focus Sash set, is the issue and not Sleep:
  1. The most meta status absorbers (Gliscor, Gholdengo) have losing matchups into Darkrai. Gholdengo in particular has strong matchups into Ninetales-Alola and Iron Valiant, the other strong users of Hypnosis.
  2. Lead Darkrai's speed tier + Focus Sash guarantees it is able to roll the Hypnosis lottery at least once. Iron Valiant must use Booster, removing a layer of security for missing Hypnosis.
  3. Darkrai has Nasty Plot. This means that it can boost its power at double the rate of CM Iron Valiant, the other offensive user of Hypnosis. (I have yet to see SD Hypnosis Valiant.)
  4. No other sleep move user is particularly strong at this time. Iron Valiant is the weakest it's ever been, and would rather have Encore or coverage in its last moveslot. Ninetales-Alola is similarly at an all-time low, and has opportunity cost in using Hypnosis (either allowing opposing weather to be set, not clicking Veil immediately, or wasting a Veil turn to roll for sleep). Amoonguss struggles to find targets for Spore in a Gliscor meta, and even if it does vs. Offense, Amoonguss cannot itself generate offensive pressure after landing its sleep move. Gholdengo is less popular than it used to be, but is nonetheless a huge hurdle for Valiant, A-Ninetales, and Amoonguss alike.
I have no issue with Sleep Clause not being perfectly replicable on cartridge. PS is a simulator, after all. Removing a status mechanic from the game because Sleep Clause is "unfaithful" to the cartridge experience is silly; Smogon's ban list is not even replicable on cartridge. Sleep is no more uncompetitive than paralysis, imo, but when used to exert offensive pressure, it elevates an otherwise balanced mon to uncompetitive levels. I see a Darkrai suspect as the correct move at this time, not a Sleep ban.
^
^
ATTENTION. BASED TAKE ABOVE. PLEASE LEAVE BEHIND ANY CRINGE OPINIONS WHEN ENTERING THE AREA!!!!

But seriously though, do y'all remember before Darkrai was unbanned? Hypnosis wasn't even on the top 3 Valiant sets. It was considered an option for a wasted 4th slot, a Hail Mary, a sidegrade to Destiny Bond if anything, and of course very, very outclassed by Encore. Even without Gliscor we had plenty of sleep absorbers (sus shroom, dozo, hatt, pex, ghold) and plenty of mons that won even after a hypnosis (glowking, dirge, clod). And, although some people claim otherwise, I did not see a single red card spore amoonguss or sleep powder lilligant-h on ladder, nor did I even see either of those pokemon at all, really. So what changed? The only thing I can think of is that Sun, and by proxy Lilligant-H is more viable with Gouging Fire and Roaring Moon being released, and Zapdos isn't quite as common, buffing Valiant slightly. This doesn't seem like enough to do a complete 180 and say the moves are broken, does it? It becomes increasingly clear that DARKRAI IS THE ISSUE. It has a fast speed tier, fast boosting, decent bulk, and coverage and power enough to threaten the entire tier. These qualities PLUS sleep are the issue, and even lacking a few of them (ival lacks coverage and fast boosting, amoonguss lacks ability to capitalize on its own sleep, lilligant lacks bulk and a good speed tier outside of sun) can keep something not busted.

That being said, if you want to ban Sleep because you think it's inherently a stupid mechanic and our current Sleep Clause is a product of an older smogon with less restrictions, that's fine.

If you kept reading, you would’ve seen that I did answer it.

As for your point about knowing how much you did affecting decisions, it’s kind of irrelevant for 2 reasons:

1. Everything is a role. If you do 50% one turn, you can do 48% the next and they can live. If you gauges your damage range before turn 1, you know whether or not you have a guaranteed 2hko. This ties into the next point:
2. Knowing the actual percent done isn’t important, knowing if you have a 2hko/3hko is, which is easy to do with a 48pixel bar. If necessary, it is possible to get a ruler for your game to figure it out
Yeah I saw and I’m not saying it’s indefensible. The first paragraph with the personal attacks was unnecessary.

Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics / Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Jaw Lock
- Taunt

Jaw Lock traps any would-be switch ins to Dragon Dance Roaring Moon and combined with Taunt, can stifle attempts to deal with it such as Haze, status or phasing moves. Combined with Tera Flying, one attack variants of Ting-Lu and Gliscor are left completely helpless. Acrobatics naturally gets a nice boost from Tera Flying, but Roost can be slotted in if you want the ability to deal with walls who might have some more bite to them.

Hp Percentage displays are also not on cart. You want to get rid of that and sleep clause?
1) As of Gen 8, the HP bar is sufficiently precise to show HP percentages out of 100, so it is no longer a mod. Even in cart formats, Showdown shows HP out of 100 in Gen 8 and onwards.
2) HP Percentage mod can be considered a near-objective improvement, since most people are used to working in the 100% system. Not having to work with numbers out of 48 in your head is where the "we play the game for fun" argument is sufficient. Sleep with Sleep Clause is at best, a subjective improvement to the game, and there is not a clear overwhelming consensus that it actually improves the game either.
3) HP Percentage mod is much less invasive, since players will make the same decisions in almost all scenarios. Sleep Clause fundamentally alters the way that sleep-inducing moves work and no other status condition works the same way that sleep does.

This discussion about Sleep Clause is really reminding me about Baton Pass and even Dynamax in Doubles OU.
Just ban all sleep moves. Stop trying to take half measures.
Can people not use Baton Pass as an example of specific/complex bans not working when oldgens exist and metas like Gen 3 OU would be way worse without Baton Pass?

For the people who think that "Baton Pass is inherently bad" has won the war uniltaterally: you're just wrong. There are several prominent communities that would fight very hard to keep Baton Pass in their metas. Deciding that a mechanic just does not work in Singles, 9 different generations, is not remotely true.

A lot of people seemingly ignore oldgens or just like to pretend that it's just the factual truth that things like DryPass, or even StatPassing without chains has been a disaster. Sometimes it's worth it to go through the effort to keep a mechanic when it enriches the metagame so heavily, and Gen 4 OU also unbanned DryPass a month ago.

Homogenization of all generations will not work. Still, I believe that following the cartridge is a necessity when possible, and that is why I have a major problem with Sleep Mod Clause.

give me an example where I personally attacked people. Actually, I can but from you
Reread my first reply, I explained it there why your question came off as antagonistic. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings, but disregarding an argument that you disagree with EVEN THOUGH it is clearly outlined in tiering policy as a goal of the Smogon “institution” is being counterproductive to what we are trying to achieve here and a rude action to take against those arguing for it. If you disagree with the cart accuracy argument so much, I’d recommend you lay out your reasoning rather than laying bait, which is an antagonistic action that you chose to take. If you didn’t mean to lay bait, you may want to consider rereading your posts and trying to take another look to ensure it isn’t antagonistic

Moreover, I am hoping to see support of sleep moves and Kyurem in the upcoming survey. I would love to have enough support for the council to vote on sleep moves and then pivot into a community suspect on Kyurem, allowing both to be tackled cleanly and promptly.

From there, topics like Gouging Fire or Roaring Moon can be asssessed further -- neither needs an immediate suspect as much as Kyurem, but it is important we monitor them as the metagame progresses. We can specifically do this by occasional, but not forcibly repeated, surveys and discussions.
I think the most important thing in your survey is to correctly phrase the question about Sleep. If it's a simple question "what do you think of Sleep in the SV OU format", the risk is that a lot of people put 1 or 2 thinking that it's balanced, without taking into account the makes sleep "balanced" via the sleep clause, a complex ban in mod form.
The question asked should directly relate to Sleep Clause.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I think the most important thing in your survey is to correctly phrase the question about Sleep. If it's a simple question "what do you think of Sleep in the SV OU format", the risk is that a lot of people put 1 or 2 thinking that it's balanced, without taking into account the makes sleep "balanced" via the sleep clause, a complex ban in mod form.
The question asked should directly relate to Sleep Clause.
It currently is phrased as:

Recently we have seen an uptick in sleep based strategies including Hypnosis Darkrai and Iron Valiant (neither Pokemon is on this current survey); there has been a great deal of discussion surrounding the variable outcomes these strategies may produce. In addition, there has been discussion about how Sleep Clause can be seen as incomplete to the solution, leading to some support for a full fix.

Multiple threads on the topic of sleep moves and the restructuring of sleep clause have been posted, including the Policy Review thread here!

Do you support tiering action on sleep inducing moves? 1: balanced - 3 potentially banworthy - 5 banworthy

Reread my first reply, I explained it there why your question came off as antagonistic. I’m sorry if I hurt your feelings, but disregarding an argument that you disagree with EVEN THOUGH it is clearly outlined in tiering policy as a goal of the Smogon “institution” is being counterproductive to what we are trying to achieve here and a rude action to take against those arguing for it. If you disagree with the cart accuracy argument so much, I’d recommend you lay out your reasoning rather than laying bait, which is an antagonistic action that you chose to take. If you didn’t mean to lay bait, you may want to consider rereading your posts and trying to take another look to ensure it isn’t antagonistic
just take your own advice and lay out your arguments instead of vilifying people

you threw out accusations without even giving an example. You just assumed bad intentions without any evidence

Last edited:
It currently is phrased as:

Recently we have seen an uptick in sleep based strategies including Hypnosis Darkrai and Iron Valiant (neither Pokemon is on this current survey); there has been a great deal of discussion surrounding the variable outcomes these strategies may produce. In addition, there has been discussion about how Sleep Clause can be seen as incomplete to the solution, leading to some support for a full fix.

Multiple threads on the topic of sleep moves and the restructuring of sleep clause have been posted, including the Policy Review thread here!

Do you support tiering action on sleep inducing moves? 1: balanced - 3 potentially banworthy - 5 banworthy
Thank you

My personal vote will be 5

darkrai, your days at the top are up

For you nothing you believed you were

you are no titan, you are no threat, you are me

a inferior me

without me you wouldn’t be here, for all you do is mere imitation of me

its over for you

now ”darkrai” bow down to me, bow down to the real darkrai

IMG_2426.png

focus sash triggers boosted acrobatics allowing jumpy to go ham if sleep misses

The unholy (Jumpluff) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Strength Sap
- Seed Bomb
jumpluff isn’t the darkrai of PU, darkrai is the jumpluff of ou, jumpluff is better,

jumpluff cannot be banned, but cannot be balanced, allowing jumpluff to reign without counter

jumpluff

Imagine the headlines.
SMOGON BANS SLEEP BECAUSE THEY DEEM IT TOO “UNCOMPETITIVE”.
The people who would make those kind of "headlines" (or video titles...) would find a way to make garbage clickbait no matter what we do, because they're grifters who don't understand the suspect process and don't care to as long as there's money to be made shitting on Smogon to a casual audience.