Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Nani?! Lookie Lookie at my Blissey!
View attachment 591040
88/160 is worse than 255/135, and Blissey is UU.
Blissey cant pivot and isnt as threatening enough.

Pecharunt acces to Parting Shot is huge and allows it to be a kinda slow wall pivot, acting similar to Slowking-G but as a better physical wall and status spreader.

It can also run more offensive sets to catch opponents offguard.

I feel people are really downplaying it rn. Sure its not going to be S tier, but I can see pecharunt staying quite comfy in OU

My brother in christ, this is literally the OU forum.
yeah not normally an OU poster but just saying it cause there’s a new Mon that’ll probably fall. People are entitled on how they feel but I do find it kinda annoying that the only things people can find exciting are those that fit in the narrow confines of a tier where making it as any thing but a legendary is nearly impossible now.

yeah not normally an OU poster but just saying it cause there’s a new Mon that’ll probably fall. People are entitled on how they feel but I do find it kinda annoying that the only things people can find exciting are those that fit in the narrow confines of a tier where making it as any thing but a legendary is nearly impossible now.
I don't think you're seeing my point. This is the OU forum, of course discussions that take place here are going to focus pretty much entirely on the mon's place in OU. We're not discussing the Pokemon's general viability across all tiers, we're discussing it's viability specifically in OU.

There are plenty of people who find lower tier Pokemon exciting. In fact, they have their own dedicated sections of the forum for that. Maybe you could check out the discussion threads for the lower tiers.

Nani?! Lookie Lookie at my Blissey!
View attachment 591040
88/160 is worse than 255/135, and Blissey is UU.
I don’t think Wolf worded it right, but its physical bulk in conjunction with status spreading and pivot with Parting Shot. Also unlike Blissey it has resistances and multiple immunities, usable offenses, and good speed tier allowing it to outspeed Great Tusk.
Honestly Ghost/Poison is also a good type. Gengar, despite being frail, used it to great results defensively, even past Gen 3/4. Being Fighting and Toxic immune is really great defensively, while also tanking Poison and Bug attacks nicely.

I know calling mons trash sounds harsh, but this is a competitive forum, and most people calling it bad are strictly speaking from competitive sense. Also, Pecharunt is mythical with 600bst, so it has more pressure to be good than random mons

250px-HOME1025.png

Pecharunt @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Poison Puppeteer
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Parting Shot
- Recover
- Malignant Chain
- Hex​

Idk what you're all talking about, Pecharunt is based. Outspeeds Tusk by a point, pairs incredibly well with the myriad of powerful Dark-type attackers in the tier along with Tusk itself, can potentially open up holes via status + parting shot + recover thanks to great physical bulk, spin blocking abilities, and more. Stop running slow and bulky, use its ability to outspeed Tusk, have it be a solid utility attacker and you'll have yourself a nice time - even without investment Pecharunt's base 160 defense stat absorbs a LOT, and its defensive typing is situational but has some great applications (including the Fighting immunity). Plus Kingambit switch-ins are super telegraphed so Parting Shot is super spammable.

View attachment 591043

Timid Nature
- Parting Shot
- Recover
- Malignant Chain
- Hex​

Idk what you're all talking about, Pecharunt is based. Outspeeds Tusk by a point, pairs incredibly well with the myriad of powerful Dark-type attackers in the tier along with Tusk itself, can potentially open up holes via status + parting shot + recover thanks to great physical bulk, spin blocking abilities, and more. Stop running slow and bulky, use its ability to outspeed Tusk, have it be a solid utility attacker and you'll have yourself a nice time - even without investment Pecharunt's base 160 defense stat absorbs a LOT, and its defensive typing is situational but has some great applications (including the Fighting immunity). Plus Kingambit switch-ins are super telegraphed so Parting Shot is super spammable.
Pecharunt can be relatively fast allow you to outspeed Great Tusk. It can also be somewhat slow on purpose. It was a common strategy to make your Slowtwin as slow as possible in Gen 8 so your own Teleport would go last. Even to the point where players would use Slowtwins that were underleveled.
If you underlevel to Level 96, you will underspeed natural speed Swampert and Empoleon and will have pivot advantage, though that’s pretty niche and may be too much, so 99 is good enough to underspeed min-speed Pecharunts without sacrificing your other stats too much.

Pecharunt can be relatively fast allow you to outspeed Great Tusk. It can also be somewhat slow on purpose. It was a common strategy to make your Slowtwin as slow as possible in Gen 8 so your own Teleport would go last. Even to the point where players would use Slowtwins that were underleveled.
If you underlevel to Level 96, you will underspeed natural speed Swampert and Empoleon and will have pivot advantage, though that’s pretty niche and may be too much, so 99 is good enough to underspeed min-speed Pecharunts without sacrificing your other stats too much.
Teleport has -6 priority, so if Slowtwins were underleveled they were probably trying to underspeed other Slowtwins doing the same thing. The only moves that share the -6 priority bracket are other Teleport users and phasing moves like Roar/Dragon Tail/etc.

That said, Parting Shot does not have negative priority so I suppose underleveled Pecharunts are not off the table.

Plus Kingambit switch-ins are super telegraphed so Parting Shot is super spammable.
Everybody gangsta until the Kingambits start running Defiant to get a free +3 from Parting Shot.

Last edited:
Datamined sets for Pecharunt.

252 SPA/252 SPE
Focus sash
Malignant Chain
Shadow Ball
Parting Shot

252 DEF/252 SPA
Black Sludge
Recover
Toxic
Protect
Shadow Ball

BULK SPREAD
[Not found]
Curse
Malignant Chain
First: You have 508 EVs instead of just 504, you are wasting 1 stat point!
Second: Is linking the users intentional? If you want the little sprites, put colons around it like :example: or :corviknight:.
Third: How do you datamine sets? You theorymon sets and try to work out what might work, but datamined implies it's coded into the game, which it isn't.
Fourth: Toxic>Malignant Chain on bulky spreads (set 3).
Fifth: Leftovers>Black Sludge because you lose it on Tera (set 2).
Sixth: Tera types? Natures? 4 Moves? Ability? (there's only one but you should still put it).
Seventh: Hex is better on a Toxic Set (set 2).

View attachment 591043

Timid Nature
- Parting Shot
- Recover
- Malignant Chain
- Hex​

Now this looks interesting. Kudos to you

Pechurant with Mortal Spin would be so nice actually. Compressing poison and Spin in one move is extreme role compression and helps it have moveslots for stabs/parting shot/recover.
So you’re NOT going to use a Pokemon with positive traits because it shares it with one of the best Pokemon in the tier?
this is literally the definition of being outclassed lmao. Would you use emboar when blaziken exists?
also, gholdengo has two things that pechurant doesn't. Better typing both offensively and defensively and a million different sets ranging from choicetrick to setup to defense to air balloon

Pechurant with Mortal Spin would be so nice actually. Compressing poison and Spin in one move is extreme role compression and helps it have moveslots for stabs/parting shot/recover.

this is literally the definition of being outclassed lmao. Would you use emboar when blaziken exists?
also, gholdengo has two things that pechurant doesn't. Better typing both offensively and defensively and a million different sets ranging from choicetrick to setup to defense to air balloon
Except that Pechurant isn’t outclassed by Gholdengo. It has way more traits that set it apart. Did you even look at both Pokemon?

Pecharunt doesn't compete with Gholdnego at all. Pecharunt is a tanky pivot that helps setup sweepers. Toxic + Confusion + Parting Shot is pretty decent for balance teams

remember my new years cobalion set? The bulky calm mind one
A few more hours and there shall be a new time upon us, ambition for it is very good, but one must also keep a calm mind

View attachment 585771
I‘m not funny (Cobalion) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 112 SpA / 144 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon

cobby is already naturally physical bulky and has good defensive typing, hence why this defensive calm mind set invests otherwise, max hp so its special bulk is also solid after repeated calm minds and 144 speed so it can outspeed some pokemon, 112 special attack is to avoid being entirely reliant on boosting stacking to do damage (366 special attack after a single boost!) and so it can do some form of damage when calm mind isn’t an option, protect heals a bit with leftovers but air slash or tera blast can be ran for coverage, the final moves are stabs with a solid pairing, its going to be new years in my country in a few hours so i’ll afk soon, happy new year and be sure to ladder with cobalion!
yeah i just completely dismantled somebody on the ladder with that semi ironic set

i kinda feel like the average latias user now,

now what?

Aha! Time for the holy PENGU :EMPOLEON: to sweep teams (with :zapdos-galar:, normal :ogerpon: and the birb :kilowattrel:)! And also does Parting Shot activate Justified? If so... Welcome to mars I think you will be happy.
Look up justified on the teambuilder

Remember when ppl were saying Kingambit would start running defiant to counter Lando-T returning to gen 9 lmao
I remember during a suspect for something just after home someone got hit with defiant tera psychic kingambit zen headbutt and it ruined their suspect run

I don’t think Wolf worded it right, but its physical bulk in conjunction with status spreading and pivot with Parting Shot. Also unlike Blissey it has resistances and multiple immunities, usable offenses, and good speed tier allowing it to outspeed Great Tusk.
Honestly Ghost/Poison is also a good type. Gengar, despite being frail, used it to great results defensively, even past Gen 3/4. Being Fighting and Toxic immune is really great defensively, while also tanking Poison and Bug attacks nicely.
Tbf gengar had levitate then. It's still a solid type though.

88/160/88 is insanely fat
Okay but what is it doing, what is its niche. One thing I want y'all to think about is that it's up to the Pokemon to provide a solution to a problem, rather than us solve a problem for it to solve. Basically no one has brought up a compelling argument for why Pecharunt fulfills its own job, solves a problem a team can have better than other Pokemon besides "1 billion defense is a lotta defense".

Even if I wanted something like a Toxic using pivot I'd have Slowking-Galar which works way better as a Poison-Type pivot, and it has Regenerator, and better coverage. Chilly Reception + things like Kyurem also still works.
I wouldn’t call ghost poison a *bad* type.
I'd call it a bad defensive type. Especially with those stats, it's a complete mismatch; it's min-maxxing. You get your base stats dumped into the side of mostly Physical Attackers, which still 2HKO you. I see your calcs of "oh it's so bulky, it gets 2HKO'd by Great Tusk Headlong Rush". Okay, so it still gets 2HKO'd by Headlong Rush. And still gets massively chunked by Earthquake, or Knock Off.

Tell me what is Pecharunt's move against Kingambit?

This thing looks like it will be a great sidegrade to Slowking Galar.
It's not a sidegrade, it's a downgrade.
This thing has better physical bulk than Toxapex coupled with the ability to function as a pivot.
Toxapex is also not that good. Not because it can't use Parting Shot, but because it makes no progress; but what does keep Toxapex at least somewhat relevant, is that Haze lets it deny enemy progress. And in a tier full of Nasty Plot, Swords Dance, Quiver Dance, etc. you will want a pivot that can come in, take the hit, reset the scenario and defuse the bomb. Parting Shot going 1 stat lower is not gonna cut it, and Toxapex and Slowking-Galar already both have Toxic.

And both also already learn 50% recovery moves.
while also tanking Poison and Bug attacks nicely.
So, not that relevant defensive uses.

Also, for those saying "just Parting Shot on the Kingambit"...

Even if this mon breaks IMO the low odds as is, and is spammed everywhere, people can counter team it with one single change.
1705001639683.png