Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

We need to continue discussing ubers until a moderator steps in and tells us otherwise and on that note.
Ho-Oh needs to be dropped into the tier on the caveat that it cannot hold HDB this would make it very balanced as it would allow a skillful check to mons like Volcarona, Gholdengo, and Iron Valiant as well as other misscellanous special attackers in the tier. It would also wonderfully boost the viability of Rock Type to check such as T-Tar and Garganacl thus Ho-Oh should be unbanned from the ubers tier and allowed into OU :P

njnp

We don't play this game to lose.
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hey guys, we just dropped a first time OU mon into the tier in Darkrai. I know it has you guys inspired to drop more Ubers based on how mediocre it has been thus far. Its performance in the tier does not mean more Uber Pokémon should drop. Move on to discussing what should be on the upcoming survey/radar :heart:

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
While dropping Ubers into OU is a fun topic to discuss, I think it's time to switch gears and return to discussing what's currently in the tier instead.

If the council were to look into dropping something from Ubers, then it would be at a time where the meta is more stabilized and figured out so that we have as accurate of a prediction for "how will x do on OU" as possible. This meta is still very new, so give it a lot more time first before going for bigger changes. Same goes for Tera if it gets tested again, where it won't be now, but maybe several months into 2024 or even late 2024. We'll have to wait and see for a long time. This is not guaranteeing a potential test but rather me saying what I would personally expect timeline wise if there ends up being support towards retesting it.

Happy Holidays

Man, this discussion is golden. People wanna drop things because "oh, it's bad in ubers" or "oh, x pokemon is similar, of course it will be the same just ignore the fact that it can flinch 60% of the fucking time". You know there is a reason why there is the phrase "If it's not 100% accurate, it's 50% accurate"? Also, running an inferior item for 1 or 2 mons specifically is not a good argument, shows that the mon(s) are broken.
Anways, I'd like to propose dropping magearna to OU because it has dropped to UUbers and the general power of the metagame is severly higher than the HOME metagame.
Wasn't that long ago that defensive teams were forced to run Covert Cloak for Garganacl... we did not ban Garganacl.

As someone who actually used Covert Cloak in that era: it's not a bad item in general. It eliminates variance. No one builds their team with Moonblast SpA drops or Shadow Ball SpD drops or Scald burns in mind. But they happen and they can beat you when they do. Covert Cloak completely eliminates that chance and makes your mons more reliable.

Bonus points for also blocking the paralyze from Hatterene's Nuzzle (Gholdengo really likes Covert Cloak, he just needs an excuse to use it)

While dropping Ubers into OU is a fun topic to discuss, I think it's time to switch gears and return to discussing what's currently in the tier instead.

If the council were to look into dropping something from Ubers, then it would be at a time where the meta is more stabilized and figured out so that we have as accurate of a prediction for "how will x do on OU" as possible. This meta is still very new, so give it a lot more time first before going for bigger changes. Same goes for Tera if it gets tested again, where it won't be now, but maybe several months into 2024 or even late 2024. We'll have to wait and see for a long time. This is not guaranteeing a potential test but rather me saying what I would personally expect timeline wise if there ends up being support towards retesting it.

Happy Holidays
Well since he’s technically in the tier right now, I don’t suppose you’ve seen anyone do Blastoise testing as of yet, have you?

Let’s change the subject from dropping mons from ubers, to whose dropping from ou!

Which ou mainstays do you guys think are gonna drop to uu this month? As a uu main, I really hope that excadrill drops and I can see lando and toxapex finally dropping.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Anyway onto the actual metagame, AV Hydrapple. Is it Tangrowth back in a new form or not Tangrowth? For real I think that set is actually quite amazing at the moment, it has wayyy more special bulk (106/80 to Tang's 100/50) at the cost of not being quite as physically tanky. I'd still say it can get the job done on the physical side though. With the help of Tera it can also wall a lot more stuff depending on what your team wants, and it has the broken Regen to stay alive. It's been doing quite well for me but I'd like to hear other's thoughts on the set or Hydrapple in general since it seems a bit overlooked in favor of stuff like HUR DURR SHAYMIN-S FOR 3 PAGES Gouging Fire, Archaludon, etc.
I've tried AV drapple thinking similarly about it being Tang at home and was pretty whelmed by it tbh. The movepool is significantly less flexible, Tang had utility in Knock and sometimes Sludge Bomb poison, or could run mixed for EQ and more knock chip. The best utility attack drapple gets is dtail and it's mediocre here. Grass/Dragon is also quite annoying to navigate sometimes so it often feels like a tera hog. Arch does it's defensive-styled sets better due to it's better defensive typing, Stamina and it's movepool imo.

I think drapples best sets are offensive ones that just say fuck it and NP in the face of the opp to drop huge dracos on fools, then regen off and do it again later. A lot of more balance-y structures can struggle to effectively answer it's very strong dracos or leaf storms, and can utilize strong defensive teras to further increase it's set-up opportunity vs mons that lack an SE hit on it.

Hey guys, we just dropped a first time OU mon into the tier in Darkrai. I know it has you guys inspired to drop more Ubers based on how mediocre it has been thus far. Its performance in the tier does not mean more Uber Pokémon should drop. Move on to discussing what should be on the upcoming survey/radar :heart:
Kingambit pls

Deo S maybe but I think it's become more manageable. Same goes for Moon and Ghold

Only Kingambit's a big ol problem in my eyes currently. Gouging Fire is a big help but Gambit's still too much

I'd like to return to my old question that kind of felt flooded out: Has anyone had any success with a bulkier Proto-Speed based set for Gouging Fire, allocating EVs into defenses away from ATK and leaning a bit more on Sun or accumulating Boosts as a bulky win condition?

She is doing good right now, I’ve even seen her more than her twin, her utility is insane and she got buffs that benefited her quite a lot!
So so glad that she's doing good man, even outside of calm mind/dd sp sets(which are fantastic overall rn) she still has amazing utility with choice sets thanks to trick and healing wish while checking a lot of threats with her stabs/coverage and bulk despite ghold and gambit being so common

Let’s change the subject from dropping mons from ubers, to whose dropping from ou!

Which ou mainstays do you guys think are gonna drop to uu this month? As a uu main, I really hope that excadrill drops and I can see lando and toxapex finally dropping.
You know if anyone has done Blastoise testing in UU?

I feel like Hydrapple really doesn't like having additional weaknesses to fairy and dragon in this meta, which really hampers its ability to act as a pseudo-Tangrowth. It also wishes it had sleep powder or knock off. It feels much stronger as a bulky attacker with NP that can set up multiple times per game with regenerator, as opposed to providing any real defensive backbone to a team.

Landorus-T, Excadrill, and Pex are dropping probably. And the funny part is I don't think Lando is gonna be tier king, as Tornadus-T has already taken that mantle with an iron fist down there and is more splashable than Lando-T is currently. Pex dropping is long overdue though, that pokemon has kind of been fringe lately, as it just cannot keep up with this meta, nor does it provide much utility anymore that other poison types like Glimmora and Glowking do better in an offensive meta due to how passive and stripped of utility Toxapex is this gen

it took them four and a half gens, but the dragons have finally taken ou back from the fairies. and yet, the war continues. they must remain vigilant, for enamorus has grown more powerful than ever, and her tera fairy spies lurk around every corner, even amongst their fellow dragons. meanwhile, two of the dragons' top generals, roaring moon and kyurem, are at risk of being thrust into the unsavory spotlight of the ban radar and cast into the chaotic wasteland known only as "ubers"—a nightmare from which they are both among the few mons to escape and tell the tale. will the dragons be able to keep their newly gained hold on ou? and will they ever discover what happened to their old ally magnezone? find out on the next episode of DRAGON TYPE Z!
Who needs a bunch of fairies when valiant can do the work of 10,000 fairies at once I guess

We’re losing Chomp again, Lando, Toxapex, Greninja, are also dropping. Is Heatran doing good rn? There are too many dragons with tools to deal with it.

We’re likely getting Weavile since it was lingering last month.

Ngl, I am excited to see the changes! The top 3 will remain the same of some underdog will sneak in.

So so glad that she's doing good man, even outside of calm mind/dd sp sets(which are fantastic overall rn) she still has amazing utility with choice sets thanks to trick and healing wish while checking a lot of threats with her stabs/coverage and bulk despite ghold and gambit being so common
Yeah I am really happy too! Latias is my fave legendary and it’s good to see that even after all these gens she does her things and mind her business.

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
What do you all think abt Primarina? Will she stay in OU? On short terms probably, but what do guys you think about her future? I think she might be quite okay. Water/Fairy is a great typing, her movepool is good and her stat distribution is solid too (80, 74, 74, 126, 116, 60). AV, Specs, Scarf or even Leftovers (on a bulky set) are good Items that i tried on Prim.

Wasn't that long ago that defensive teams were forced to run Covert Cloak for Garganacl... we did not ban Garganacl.

As someone who actually used Covert Cloak in that era: it's not a bad item in general. It eliminates variance. No one builds their team with Moonblast SpA drops or Shadow Ball SpD drops or Scald burns in mind. But they happen and they can beat you when they do. Covert Cloak completely eliminates that chance and makes your mons more reliable.

Bonus points for also blocking the paralyze from Hatterene's Nuzzle (Gholdengo really likes Covert Cloak, he just needs an excuse to use it)
ok this is my last post about uber dropping but this is insane. Defensive teams being "forced" to run covert cloak for garg was I think a month 1 thing before people fully learned how to play around salt cure and abuse garg. Garg is obscene and stupid and was arguably banworthy at one point, but no longer is that the case. Also, the difference between salt cure and serene grace air slash is that salt cure is not a strong move in terms of base power. The chip and forced switches is what makes it so good.

I see you too are a man of culture.

Hell, Latias is even doing well in VGC. The red jet plane dragon thing :latias: is eating well with this DLC!

Bullshit no one builds with Scald burns in mind.