Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
Another thing to consider about Terapagos' ability is that, despite it being a better version of Multiscale, all of the other mons with Multiscale/Shadow Shield had access to recovery (Dnite and Lugia have Roost, Lunala has Moonlight) which helped them exploit that mechanic to the fullest. Terapagos, on the other hand, needs to rely on Leftovers+Protect or Wish support to actually use it more than once, and unlike DD Dragonite it lacks the immediate offensive power/Speed to really be threatening once it enters the field. Sure, it might be able to get a free CM, but even then that set is still quite vulnerable to the likes of Encore, Unaware mons, Ting-Lu's Whirlwind/Garchomp's Dragon Tail, Pex's Haze or just simple moves like Toxic and Taunt. It might actually be more effective as a consistent bulky Spinner rather than as a Sweeper itself.

LovelyLuna

Lost in a life full of mistakes
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Sticky Web
- Stun Spore

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

So how do you actually beat this? I've wrapped my head around it and I figured unorthodox sets are the closest thing to a check in OU. Darkrai :Darkrai: gets up one Nasty Plot on something it forces out, and it's pretty much unstoppable now. Pretty much nothing switches in and beats Darkrai :Darkrai:, Blissey :Blissey: getting 2HKOd is just one example, and you'd be risking your one answer by hard switching into the wrong move, Dark resists like Enamorus :Enamorus: do drop to Psychic. This means you have to resort to revenge killers, after a pokemon has already been brought down, a pokemon forcing this is already overbearing, but Darkrai :Darkrai: goes even further. The handful of pokemon faster than Darkrai get screwed over by Webs and ohkod cleanly. So far, answers to Darkrai :Darkrai: pre Tera are;

Boots Zamazenta :Zamazenta: (CC or first switch in Body Press), Clear Body Choice Specs Dragapult :Dragapult:, Choice Scarf Enamorus :Enamorus:, Tera Fairy Kingambit :Kingambit:, Tera Grass Choice Band Rillaboom :Rillaboom:, and Tera Water Ogerpon Wellspring :Ogerpon-Wellspring: (as long as you don't get chipped or flinched)

However when Darkrai :Darkrai: Teras...

It's only Tera Grass Rillaboom :Rillaboom: and Tera Water Wellspring :Ogerpon-Wellspring:. Tera Fairy Gambit :Kingambit: gets ohkod by Darkrai :Darkrai:'s own Tera Fairy Tera Blast if it's running it and doesn't get a chance to do something even when running Iron Head.

Darkrai :Darkrai: feels stupid broken when the only answer is 2 revenge killers that need to burn Tera. I've also seen Tera Poison Sludge Bomb which just ruins both those answers and a bunch of the aforementioned answers, notably loses to Dragapult :Dragapult: and needs to rely on Focus Blast to OHKO Great Tusk :Great Tusk: and Zamazenta :Zamazenta: though. So both sets aren't exactly uncheckable but having to account for both is a headache.

Any other ideas on how to play into the duo? I'm not too knowledgeable in the tier.

We aren’t going to institute a complex ban that would create many further ripples in tiering. The Ubers precedent isn’t applicable to OU or its operating procedures; Ubers itself is vastly different in the tiering landscape fundamentally anyway.
Genuine question - how would this be going against established precedent regarding Zygarde not being allowed to turn into its battle-only form, or the Lucarionite, Kangaskhanite, etc. bans?

Guys, the council members that have replied on this thread have already said that if Terapagos is busted, its gonna get quickbanned ASAP. No need to moan and whine about a metagame we haven't even played and a Pokemon that will only last at most 3 days if its broken.

We have suffered through more broken stuff for far longer in this and other metas, a few days won't kill us (and idk about you but im gonna abuse the hell out of Terapagod for free ELO :P )

Genuine question - how would this be going against established precedent regarding Zygarde not being allowed to turn into its battle-only form, or the Lucarionite, Kangaskhanite, etc. bans?
Most of them are items, and zygarde can only go into its form with power construct. Unlike terapagos, it has aura break as well. Simply put, it is a fundemental part of the character that can be extracted without breaking conventions. Maybe their should be a policy review, but saying a pokemon can't tera is doesn't look very good, no matter how different that pokemon is when it tera's.

I doubt it'll have too much use in OU beyond being a niche pick, but how does its STAB compare to Technician boosted Population Bomb?
If you mean to maushold, it will be worse. Sure, it's non normal moves are more powerful, but you mostly will click normal moves with maushold, and in that department, maus is almost always better.
Sad, because I am genuinely excited to have it back, but it will not be too good most likely. The hierarchy of normal mammals is always maushold, cinccino, ambipom.

I doubt it'll have too much use in OU beyond being a niche pick, but how does its STAB compare to Technician boosted Population Bomb?
+1 252+ Atk Technician Maushold Population Bomb (10 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 450-540 (121.2 - 145.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

vs

+1 252+ Atk Technician Cinccino Tail Slap (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 320-380 (86.2 - 102.4%) -- approx. 12.5% chance to OHKO

So Tail Slap is a little weaker, but it doesn't matter cuz Cinccino HAS coverage

+1 252+ Atk Technician Cinccino Bullet Seed (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 430-510 (115.9 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

yeah, its not gonna be THAT good in OU, but its gonna be super funny as a fringe/troll pick :P

Another thing to consider about Terapagos' ability is that, despite it being a better version of Multiscale, all of the other mons with Multiscale/Shadow Shield had access to recovery (Dnite and Lugia have Roost, Lunala has Moonlight) which helped them exploit that mechanic to the fullest. Terapagos, on the other hand, needs to rely on Leftovers+Protect or Wish support to actually use it more than once, and unlike DD Dragonite it lacks the immediate offensive power/Speed to really be threatening once it enters the field. Sure, it might be able to get a free CM, but even then that set is still quite vulnerable to the likes of Encore, Unaware mons, Ting-Lu's Whirlwind/Garchomp's Dragon Tail, Pex's Haze or just simple moves like Toxic and Taunt. It might actually be more effective as a consistent bulky Spinner rather than as a Sweeper itself.
There is a great question in the research thread, regarding terapagos-stellar's rapid spin,which, if correct, adds a dimension few i think have thus far considered.remember, after tera stellar, terapagos gets a 2x boost to all its normal type moves, so rapid spin should be at least 100bp after tera for terapagos. And if tera stellar boosts lower bp stab moves to 60bp, just like regular tera, rapid spin off of terapagos-stellar is a 120 bp coming from a 105 base attack

There is a great question in the research thread, regarding terapagos-stellar's rapid spin,which, if correct, adds a dimension few i think have thus far considered.remember, after tera stellar, terapagos gets a 2x boost to all its normal type moves, so rapid spin should be at least 100bp after tera for terapagos. And if tera stellar boosts lower bp stab moves to 60bp, just like regular tera, rapid spin off of terapagos-stellar is a 120 bp coming from a 105 base attack
terapagos will 100% operate as a spinner first and a secondary sweeper if it gets the opportunity. Kinda how with great tusk when you rapid spin to remove hazard and now you suddenly outspeed and Ko their whole team. It requires too much to consistently sweep.

So I just hopped on Showdown to go full ham and discovered these things in the span of roughly 45 sounds

- Terapagos is insane
- Darkrai is "aight" and "meh"
- People still hate Kingambit
- Raging Bolt and Gouging Fire are insane
- People still hate Kingambit
I've been running into a lot of Deoxys Speed, and let me tell you, it is funny watching me outrun them with scarf darkrai. But yeah, darkrai seems mid so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 32)