Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Hello everyone! With Pokemon Home finally being released, you all are free to start discussing the new SV OU metagame here! Like always, I will list things in a similar manner to the role compendium to help distinguish potential roles. I'll try to keep it updated as we get more information. Enjoy!

Pokemon unbanned from Ubers:

New Pokemon:

Returning Pokemon:

Entry Hazards:

Stealth Rock:
Stone Axe (sets Stealth Rock):
Spikes:
Ceaseless Edge (sets Spikes):
Toxic Spikes:

Hazard Removal:

Defog:
Rapid Spin:

Setup Sweepers/Breakers:

Bulk Up:
Dragon Dance:
Swords Dance:
Calm Mind:
Nasty Plot:
Victory Dance:
Belly Drum:

Weather:

Rain:
(Swift Swim)
Sand:
(Sand Force)
Snow:
(Chilly Reception)
Sun:
(Chlorophyll)

Limited Distribution:

Knock Off:

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
First post on new thread!

I'm pretty excited to get back into OU now that home is here (and without transfer moves!) so it should be nice to see a potentially refreshing take on a meta that's been a lot of centralization.

Time to see if Samu-H and Sneasler put in the work I hope they do!

Hello everyone! With Pokemon Home finally being released, you all are free to start discussing the new SV OU metagame here! Like always, I will list things in a similar manner to the role compendium to help distinguish potential roles. I'll try to keep it updated as we get more information. Enjoy!

New Pokemon:

Returning Pokemon:

Entry Hazards:

Stealth Rock:
Spikes:
Toxic Spikes:

Hazard Removal:

Defog:
Rapid Spin:

Setup Sweepers/Breakers:

Bulk Up:
Dragon Dance:
Swords Dance:
Calm Mind:
Nasty Plot:
Victory Dance:
Belly Drum:

Weather:

Rain:
(Swift Swim)
Sand:
(Sand Force)
Snow:
(Chilly Reception)
Sun:
(Chlorophyll)

Limited Distribution:

Knock Off:
Update again again for DLC Round 1 and 2??? As in add another discussion thread

First post on new thread!

I'm pretty excited to get back into OU now that home is here (and without transfer moves!) so it should be nice to see a potentially refreshing take on a meta that's been a lot of centralization.

Time to see if Samu-H and Sneasler put in the work I hope they do!
Ausma said that hisuian samurott is really good from what she used of it in draft when I asked her about it so get hyped.

Also remember it has knock off/sucker punch so those are gonna be really good on it too

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:sv/magearna:
Magearna @ Choice Specs
Ability: Soul-Heart
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast / Ice Beam
- Trick / Spikes

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shift Gear
- Calm Mind
- Draining Kiss
- Stored Power

This being freed again may be a bit of a mistake. One one hand, nothing wants to take a Fleur Cannon especially with Tera Fairy bar Heatran and Clodsire who are at risk of being Focus Blasted or Ice Beamed respectively, and Trick can just cripple them or you can Spike up when they switch into you to make more progress for yourself. On the other hand, Stored Power is just a really annoying move and when placed on a Pokemon like Magearna who can accrue boosts easily just makes it a really not fun cheese machine. I really do not see how this will stay in the tier for long at all

RoiDadadou

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded.
is a Pre-Contributor
People are really sleeping on Hoopa. I'd Samurott too, but not so much since it's been decently hyped.
Koff users are great in this newly found metagame, and between hitting like a truck, and setting up Spikes offensively, both of them will at least carve out a niche in OU, imo.

Also, maybe a cold take, maybe an hot one, but I think we might witness the first coming of Lando-T in UU.
Probably cap, maybe not, who knows. I'm betting on the later.

Also please quickban Mag so we don't have to suffer throught it all over again for WCup's main event. We can drop the act, and admit that we all know this thing has nothing to do down there with Tera, Psychic and Psyshock in addition to everything which made it broken before.

Keen to see how the new defog additions perform against Gholdengo.

also interesting to see more knock off in OU, maybe with its movepool and ability, Decidueye-H might actually be a useable stall breaker

curious about Braviary-H as well after that forum post about how broken tinted lense hurricane is on a Pokémon with useable stats.

edit: RoiDadadou, landorus-t is a safe switch in to sneasler, the zamazentas, and a few other misc sets. It can then slow pivot out to a favourable matchup. It’s not going anywhere.

Well since everything lost scald, there is something of note that I want to address that is looking potentially problematic.

Water bear, or urshifu-RS is gonna be absolutely demonic with taunt+sd sets, because any sort of wall that isn't dondozo rocking body press isn't gonna wanna deal with it at all, this thing now completely invalidates any wall that isn't dozo and that is scary, and could mean that urshifu rapid-strike gets the boot to ubers this gen which is crazy to think about, considering all the things that could check it last gen cannot really safely do so anymore due to the purge of scald.

Note: Also forgot to mention physdef clod can kinda check it but it has to burn a tera to play around the risk of ice spinner and doesn't like getting taunted as it can allow rapid strike to switch out for free if it tries to use its utility.

Last edited:

hidin

What a kind young man
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
:hoopa-unbound:
Hoopa-U in a metagame without Pursuit is quite big, it's more safe to just click whatever you want and that's a huge benefit for it. Tera Dark Hyperspace Fury with Choice Band sets are pretty obvious but I think other sets like Nasty Plot can be cool to just destroy fat teams or Choice Specs sets to take advantage of your larger offensive stat but Choice Band is more threatening generally. Knock Off can be cool too but I'd find it a bit hard to slot over something like Fire Punch or Zen Headbutt. Glad it can actually shine here and not be a slow, Pursuit-weak, and overrated offensive Pokemon like in National Dex.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
First post on this thread and I will say I think Chansey and Blissey skyrockets into OU, Heal Bell has been direly needed for anything remotely close to Stall / Semi Stall so since Pre-HOME Gen 9 has been mainly offensive play styles I think this will be a big change post HOME which I'm excited about to see some variation in teams.

Made a TierList. Make your own and have fun.
https://tiermaker.com/create/ou-post-home-15813660
Anyway mine is like this:
my-image.png

OU: A lot of those we already know what they do like Lando, Zap, Tran and etc, won't delve further into them since they are still as reliable as always. Cres and Mew are disgusting with Tera, by changing their awful psychic type to something like Poison or Steel they can pull an espartha, trading speed boost for better bulk and more set-up chances, another example why Tera must go. Hoopa-U is UNGA BUNGA, TeraDark HSF, Knock-Off or Dark Pulse and the meta starts falling even resists hate it and without pursuit it becomes an even more dumb UNGA BUNGA mon. H-Otter is a Spikes bot but unlike most setters you can't simple come at it for free, it always making progress even on resists hits. H-Arca is Unga Bunga as well on the lower degree, it's everything Tyrantrum wish it was and with Tera and weather being more viable it's a reliable pick. H-Lilli is a coinflip mon, if it misses you're safe but if it hits it's gonna sting like hell, not seeing going lower than UUBL. Zama was a mistake placement, it was supposed to be at OU, yes it's a shitty Uber but a solid OU Mon, don't EVER use IB+BP, you're unaware mon bait. H-Goodra is a legit underpreciated pick, it's AA+BP set's are fire because unlike Zama it got a solid defensive type and coverage to hit the Unaware mons plus it's ability render it immune to crits so even stuff which could check it like Tusk, Lando and Shifu can't after one AA, don't sleep on the dragon snail. Ursaluna is UNGA BUNGA like Hoopa-U, difference is it trades speed for bulk and even greater breaking power with Guts, it doesn't even need SD to rip the meta apart. Sneasler at first looks simple like a better Lucha but it got great potential as both a Pivot and a Wallbreaker, great mon, not ban worthy though. Enamorous-I is mid... I rather use Valiant most of the time, still it's a strong fairy type with an above average speed so it will be useful. While I still think Pao is a bit too much, there's so much stuff it can annoy it, it might be enough to hold it back somewhat... I hope.

UU: H-Brave is insane... but it's speed is still a downside to it and Psy/Fly is a bad defensive type, too strong for low tiers, not enough to be more than a Niche pick for OU, I see it as the Hoopa-U of OU. H-Deci is a solid pick, in both OU and UU, still don't think it will make the cut since while it's stats are ok they are still middling, still it has a niche of being able to handle both Dhengo and Tusk in OU and it's better than vannila Deci in UU, solid pick for the tier. Kleavor is a SR bot, if it only hadn't a pitiful type as that, still unblockable rocks is a niche. Both Fishes are solid UU, adap give great damage and they can be Niche rain picks, Enamorous-T I can see it right at home at UU, being a solid Bulk fairy for the tier Azelf was another misplaced pick, it was supposed to be UU, it still has most of it's old toolkit but now it got his attack which raises it special attack, it might be a bit too much but time will tell.

RU: Being one of fastest mons plus being one of the few eletric with a way out for grounds put H-Trode ahead of other eletric mons, also it can work as a decent subseeder, I can see it make RU. more to come. Hoopa is a very strong mon, while it's vanilla type is bad defensive type Tera solves all it issues making it a solid pick. Regidrago is like a lower-tier Bax with it nuclear tera dragon stab, only thing hlding it back is it lack of fairy coverage, still it can just tera fairy/poison and there you go. Glastrier is another tera mon, Ice type is bad so give it an actual good defensive type and now you have a decent mon. Overqwil is a great defensive mon in my opinion, intimidate, solid type, hazards, if it only had a pivot move.

NU: G-Arti I don't know were to put it.... I don't have much experience with it since I actually never used but I think it will be at least NU since it's better than the kanto version which is shit. H-Typh is a a bit better than it's vanilla version because of the extra stab, still won't see it making waves but i believe it will be a solid NU mon. H-Qwil can work as an decent defensive mon and I can see H-Sneasel as an faster alternative to Croak. Delphox got a nice addition with NP, now it can become a potent special sweeper. Wyrdeer I see potential as bulky set-up mon it can even be a defensive mon thanks to two good abilities in intimidate and SSipper.

Last edited:
If slowking-g and blissey catch on and see a lot of use, iron bundle would be worth re-testing right? That would be two mons that could keep it in check

:hoopa-unbound:
Hoopa-U in a metagame without Pursuit is quite big, it's more safe to just click whatever you want and that's a huge benefit for it. Tera Dark Hyperspace Fury with Choice Band sets are pretty obvious but I think other sets like Nasty Plot can be cool to just destroy fat teams or Choice Specs sets to take advantage of your larger offensive stat but Choice Band is more threatening generally. Knock Off can be cool too but I'd find it a bit hard to slot over something like Fire Punch or Zen Headbutt. Glad it can actually shine here and not be a slow, Pursuit-weak, and overrated offensive Pokemon like in National Dex.
Just realised a meta with no pursuit might be what sends hoopa to Ubers

bug should resist all the “mystic” kinda types:

- dark
- ghost
- psychic
- maybe fairy too

the logic? Bugs don’t really give a fuck and their minds are too small to manipulate or care.

then bug can be shut offensively but great defensively

grass can then be immune to fairy

ground type (earth power, EQ) distribution improved amongst grasses, plants easily manipulate the earth

Dragon loses resist to grass (it’s not an element that dragons control easily, like electric/fire/water)

Ice resists grass, flying and water

ice no longer SE against grass (it got the resist instead, and ice is an OP attac)

poison SE against water

water types get less ice distribution

rock resists itself, rock types are immune to SR (is it too much to have rock types immune to all hazards?)

rock types take half the effects from burn, poison, paralysis and freeze.

special rock type attack that’s an equivalent of Blizzard

Sky uppercut: 70 BP fighting type move that’s super effective against flying types and will never miss them.

leaf tornado: 60 BP grass type move that’s super effective against flying types and high chance of reducing accuracy

new psychic move: 50 BP and super effective against dark, may lower SpDef

Last edited:
First post on this thread and I will say I think Chansey and Blissey skyrockets into OU, Heal Bell has been direly needed for anything remotely close to Stall / Semi Stall so since Pre-HOME Gen 9 has been mainly offensive play styles I think this will be a big change post HOME which I'm excited about to see some variation in teams.
Even without the ability to put any pressure on most things... and being functionally complete incapable of touching Ghosts?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

New Pokemon:

Returning Pokemon:

Entry Hazards:

Stealth Rock:
Spikes:
Toxic Spikes:

Hazard Removal:

Defog:
Rapid Spin:

Setup Sweepers/Breakers:

Bulk Up:
Dragon Dance:
Swords Dance:
Calm Mind:
Nasty Plot:
Victory Dance:
Belly Drum:

Weather:

Rain:
(Swift Swim)
Sand:
(Sand Force)
Snow:
(Chilly Reception)
Sun:
(Chlorophyll)

Limited Distribution:

Knock Off:
80% of these mons aren't going to be viable but thank you TPP for your hard work putting this together.

Nah they will be amazing on stall teams... but maybe we will see them on balance once in a while. because like they are still passive asf but heal bell helps vs toxic so much and helps longetivity esp against smth like rest dondozo it can help it out or help against that pesky toxic clodsire that keeps spamming toxic to heal bell ur great tusk. Also rest great tusk looks even juicer on stall

If slowking-g and blissey catch on and see a lot of use, iron bundle would be worth re-testing right? That would be two mons that could keep it in check
No, blissey is a stall mon while slowking-g is one of many and if you are forced to fit one of these 2 then clearly its broken. Also with hazards slowking-g becomes a much shakier check

It'll be interesting to see who claims top Ground type between Great Tusk and Lando-T.
prob great tusk with lando not far behind. The utility behind spin in a meta with shit for removal is not very good. The rapid spin utility is what most teams want ofc teams can want lando-t for the intim + pivot support which it has done for years on end so i wont be suprised if it isnt amazing to

On another note... SD urshifu-r sounds nuts. like surging strikes, tpunch/aqua jet, close combat and just be able to nuke a lot of waters/bulkier teams without a doubt while also nuking offense esp with its good speed. +2 aqua jet can be very good against some speed control options such as a volcarona, and weakened mons such as roaring moon, meow, cinderace

Today is the day where we begin to settle the debate of Tusk v Lando for the title of tier king.

Transfer moves substantially hurt lando, losing Toxic, Defog, Knock off, Rock Polish & Explosion, meaning it loses a big draw in hazard removal to Tusk along with a lot of other utility moves that would've given it niches. Tusk on the other hand has a much worse ability, lacks a pivot move & is slightly slower.

Final bets on who's going to be the dominant force.

Personally, I think Tusk will have more usage of the two, but they'll compete enough that another mon like kingambit takes the spot for #1 most used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)