Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zama-H bullshitting his way past unaware Clodsire + clowning his Zama-C brother: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1875686737-egs6njvxabwjgyhsbgw84s4osp9kwhzpw

Ban this shit.
That clod didn't have unaware, it completely let you do that.

They 100% should have had earth power + unaware, because at least then you wouldn't have been able to pull that shit because they would have been able to beat you eventually if it wasn't a utility set, since that sub wouldn't have meant shit if it had unaware. Water absorb clod may be dead now, because other than beating Urshifu RS it doesn't do much at all

Point being: Unaware Clod > Water Absorb especially right now since it completely 1v1s sub press hero if it has unaware

I also just realized hero gets answered harder by unaware mons than crowned does as clod can really mess up sub sets hard if its unaware. (Water absorb clod isn't all that great right now don't run it.)

Another reason why Crowned is way more broken than hero right now, since the unaware walls struggle harder with it

Today is the day where we begin to settle the debate of Tusk v Lando for the title of tier king.

Transfer moves substantially hurt lando, losing Toxic, Defog, Knock off, Rock Polish & Explosion, meaning it loses a big draw in hazard removal to Tusk along with a lot of other utility moves that would've given it niches. Tusk on the other hand has a much worse ability, lacks a pivot move & is slightly slower.

Final bets on who's going to be the dominant force.

Personally, I think Tusk will have more usage of the two, but they'll compete enough that another mon like kingambit takes the spot for #1 most used.
Tusk will have more usage for the first month or 2, since everyone is so used to building with him in pre-home meta.

In 4 months time Lando will have more use than tusk.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
| Rank | Pokemon | Percent |
+ ---- + ------------------ + ------- +
| 1 | Great Tusk | 53.357% |
| 2 | Kingambit | 36.159% |
| 3 | Gholdengo | 29.773% |
| 4 | Iron Valiant | 28.132% |
| 5 | Dragapult | 22.187% |
| 6 | Dragonite | 21.525% |
| 7 | Baxcalibur | 18.991% |
| 8 | Corviknight | 17.200% |
| 9 | Meowscarada | 15.657% |
| 10 | Hatterene | 15.468% |

Not that it matters, but this is how the top 10 mons in usage ended last month prior to the HOME drop, it's good to know Baxi came up so big from the beginning of SV to now, I'm proud of my son ;'). This top 10 is going to look much different next month.
I think this is also Meow’s first time reaching the top 10, it’s always been right near it but around the 11-12 range for a while now. Glad to see it finally breaking through although it likely won’t see top 10 this month or until the meta slows down.

Tusk will have more usage for the first month or 2, since everyone is so used to building with him in pre-home meta.

In 4 months time Lando will have more use than tusk.
maybe i'm too tusk-pilled & this is my worst take ever, but i very much doubt this will be how things play out. on the contrary, once things have settled, i don't see lando-t being that important for teams. we're in a generation with a huge distribution buff for spikes, and the only really viable removal we have is tusk. once again, i envision tusk being on pretty much every team, as with pre-home. there's just no way around it, imo.

Has it ever been considered to ban Stored Power ? I mean I know we prefer banning pokemon over moves but every instance where we see stored power being used has always been quite unhealthy. It was literally the reason why baton pass teams started being banned back in the day. Without it, I don't think Espathra would be broken and Magearna would be more manageable (may be still broken but more manageable). I do not know every instance where Stored Power has made a Pokemon unhealthy in the past, be it OU or other tiers but it would shock me if there are none.
Literally a meta where Stored power is seen a lot will often be unhealthy in my opinion.

Not necessarily advocating for it to be banned but I see people complaining about light clay instead of stored power and that kind of shocked me that banning a playstyle comes to mind before banning a cheesy move.

Has it ever been considered to ban Stored Power ? I mean I know we prefer banning pokemon over moves but every instance where we see stored power being used has always been quite unhealthy. It was literally the reason why baton pass teams started being banned back in the day. Without it, I don't think Espathra would be broken and Magearna would be more manageable (may be still broken but more manageable). I do not know every instance where Stored Power has made a Pokemon unhealthy in the past, be it OU or other tiers but it would shock me if there are none.
Literally a meta where Stored power is seen a lot will often be unhealthy in my opinion.

Not necessarily advocating for it to be banned but I see people complaining about light clay instead of stored power and that kind of shocked me that banning a playstyle comes to mind before banning a cheesy move.
I don,t support either of the Bans, but banning Light Clay is less restrictive. You can still use Reflect and Light Screen, its just they will last less turns. Regarding Magearna, I still think Stored Power is not what will break it, Specs is by far the best set.

I agree Stored power is pretty cheesy, but it has some neat applications like bypassing Unaware and being useful for breaking Stall teams (which as a Stall hater, I am a big supporter for). This is one tool I don't want Stallgon to take away.
Once the HO spam ends Tusk is going to get more usage because we didn't get much more hazard removal options, just for that Tusk will still have more usage.
We thought we got so many new additions in home like Lando-T and a bunch of strong fighters like Urshifu, but the goat Tusk does everything they do and Spin and Knock on top of that. Tusk is eternal
| 33 | Iron Treads | 5.043% |

dear ou players plz let this Mon drop for goodness sake uu need spinners and this Mon is a waste of a team slot majority of the time.
The increased Iron Treads usage is likely to check the popular Regieleki / Magearna. I think it being OU this time around was pretty justified compared to earlier months.

I know people have talked about Dire Claw being uncompetitive and problematic, but is it really any different than Serene Grace + Flinch move?
Yes and no.
Yes as in Dire Claw will status you 50%* of the time when being hit, while you’ll only flinch if you’re slower vs a Serene Grace Iron Head.
No as in, both are fucking terrible and have 0 business in competitive play. If Serene Grace/Flinch moves besides Fake Out were introduced today, they would be complained about as much too, if not more since King’s Rock got banned. I still have trauma from Gen 5 Jirachi.

Last edited:
Horoark could be a good Luna counter no?
Switch in as someone vulnerable to facade, trick specs onto him, switch out
But I’m fairly new so I might be very wrong lol
You won’t be switching out you will just die to healdlong rush, guts is already active and you annoy it a bit just it will just spam facade or rush if you have no immunity

but every instance where we see stored power being used has always been quite unhealthy.
That is not true, Hatt used stored power sets for a long time and wasn't considered unhealthy, neither was when Espeon used it for a bit at the start of the gen. The issue with Magearna and Espartha how simple is for them to get boosts more than Stored Power since its main application is to bypass unaware mons, but Mag with all the options it has running other coverage move will do the job anyway against teams with not unaware mons.
Just as others have mentioned, there are not good reasons to keep Mag in the tier even if we look for arternatives. Tera gets banned? Mag doesn't really use it that much since steel-fairy is very good and gives it the options to set up, screens get banned? memento, encore, grassy terrain, shuca, occa berry or even weakness police will allow it to get free wins unless the rival has something too especific or the whole team has ways to stop it. Even if stored power gets banned, Mag has one millon of sets that can run.
While I can understand why banning some stuff over pokemon can sound like the right idea at first glance, when the problematic mon "because of this element" is that good, players will find a way to still exploit that mon.

I think having that information with Tera Preview will make the meta even more unbalanced as it will further weaken defensive use of Tera from slower Pokemon and give offense even more of an advantage over other playstyles than it already has this gen.
How will having important information about the opponent make the meta unbalanced? Doesnt make sense.

It’ll make it more fair because the player can somewhat prepare for potential teras. It would be similar to open team sheets in VGC.

Defensive use of tera wouldn’t be weakened in all cases . Some examples are commonly tera’d defensive pokemon :Garganacl: and :Skeledirge:. Most of the time we know they’re most likely tera’ing into Water or Fairy. That doesn’t stop their defensive presence or impact. Only difference is we know for sure their tera type from team preview.

The suprise factor would be taken away though, which also applies to offensive teras. Seeing the tera preview on offensive mons would give more opportunities to stop or limit them. An example is the biggest beneficiary from terastillization :kingambit:. A lot of gripes from it is that we cant prepare for it because of multiple tera type possibilities. Tera preview would eliminate that and we could gameplan properly against it.

For players who have been around a while— Did past gen have this much discussion? We’e their players who were like “Ban Mega-evolution, don’t ban Salamence!!!” ? I know Dynamax was banned quickly but it was a far more potent power boost than tera.
Gen 6 had a no mega ladder for 1 month or so

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 4)