Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like mag, and I think if tera was gone it would be healthier and back to matchup fish like in gen 7 but shift gear + tera makes it dumb. Sad cause it's great for checking and spikes.

I think light clay is worth looking into further down as the discussion does have merit. And the setters, (i think its just Dragapult rn) unlike weather are usually solid mons outside the playstyle and can set screens multiple times. My main problem with action against it is that it seems like it would heavily cripple ho, but it's the one playstyle that hasn't ever really changed much through these last few gens. At most it would get mons taken away but it's always bounced back no problem.

And sneasler is over-rated imo, rocky helm corv is still usable, really not seeing the hype behind it, but maybe I've been lucky in who im facing not using it well. At least stop using it with air balloon, that set is hot garbage. Further down it could be a problem, but right now there's bigger issues like mag, cp, urshifu-R, and crowned zam (last one is debatable).

On the bright note, meta is actually fun, even with my issues with Tera, I'm enjoying it. Thank you council for actually trying out some of the mons. Looking forward to how meta develops further.

dont put water tauros out of the game just yet, it actually has something the others dont!
raging bull lets it break through the ever used screens that are dominating the meta as of right now, and its not stopped by a ghost type! this is already a lot bigger than you'd think, cause it just lets you come in when others couldnt, and still get some utility! add intimidate onto that and its still got a niche over quaq in my opinion, though the loss of a hazard remover can kinda hurt
Maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but just letting ya know that Rapid Spin does not remove Screens.

Is it me or is Hisui-Samurott everywhere now?
samurott-hisuian.png
Aside from Corvenight who sucks and gets blocked by Gholbingo (or Taunt), I didn't find any good answer to it, especially when he also has a Skeledirge/Dodonzo/ScreamTail/Heatran on its side that prevents you from using him as set-up fodder. Even Tusk gets ohko by hydropump.
The issue is that you need to respect its versatility and "range", so you never really know what to expect aside from CE mashing. Even saw a rain version with aquacutter and scope lens...
It would have been so much more manageable if only there were more anti-hazard options god damn it GF...
Hisui-Decidueye might be an answer (before Samurotts start running Aerial Ace).
decidueye-hisuian.png
Did anyone cook with the bird and has some thought/advice to share on him?

dragapult is more banworthy than chien pao
Banded Chien Pao OHKO Iron Valiant with Ice Spinner.... Sounds a bit much IMO You should not be able to OHKO with neutral moves, even with stab and band.
I dont think specs Dragapult would be able to do the same with shadowball on Iron Valiant
edit : well... actually it's a roll 85.1 - 100.6% // VS 102 - 120.4% for chien pao, so OHKO guaranteed

Put is and always has been a strong but balanced pokemon. Chien, on the other hand, is and insane breaker that is currently only held back by the fact the two most overpowered Pokemon in The meta. I agree with you that put is strong, but it isn't banworthy while chien most likely will be when zama/mag are banned.

Put is and always has been a strong but balanced pokemon. Chien, on the other hand, is and insane breaker that is currently only held back by the fact the two most overpowered Pokemon in The meta. I agree with you that put is strong, but it isn't banworthy while chien most likely will be when zama/mag are banned.
my point is that chien pao is overated. its a good sweeper, but it struggles hard against anythign it cant ohko. banded isnt that good of an option considering ice has a fair amount of resistances. and it struggles against priority.

agslash23

Banned deucer.
:sv/Samurott-Hisui:

I have been using Scarf H-Samurott on ladder, and I have reached 1800+ with it.

Scarf is an excellent set with plenty of role compression - Spikes with additional free chip and inability to be blocked by Magic Bounce, ability to damage best hazard removers (Great Tusk and Cinderace), Knock off, Kingambit check (watch out for Low Kick though), resists Gholdengo and Chien Pao's STABs, Ghost resist, and most importantly Revenge Kills so many things like Dragapult, Cinderace, Chien Pao, Meowscarada, Iron Moth, and so many more fast breakers.

It's matchup vs offense is insanely good, while its no slouch vs fat as it sets Spikes, Knocks off boots to circumvent its Spikes, fishes for defense drops with Razor Shell.

This is the set that I am running

Samurott-Hisui @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Razor Shell
- Ceaseless Edge
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword

I like Tera Water the most as it can be a great late-game cleaner with Sharpness boosted Razor Shell fishing for drops, and while Tera Dark can be nice, I feel you don't really need much power on the dark moves since they provide utility more than breaking. Another alternate Tera option can be Fighting to have a roll to OHKO Offensive Zamazenta-C

In defense of the dogs

(or at least crowned since hero is a myth currently)
Oh boy, where to even begin? At the risk of sounding confrontational, I think a large majority of the problems with two good but not broken mons stem from the fact that it's day 2 of a new meta and nobody's really building that well since they wanna use like, Kleavor or something. Zama happens to be very good into the poorly-built offenses that dominate early stages of the metagame, which isn't helped by chien pao and magearna both being pretty broken and making those styles of offenses irresistable. IronPress is irritating, I get that, but there's a whole lot of pointing to its stats without really digging into zama below a surface level.

After using it I find Zama-C to be a very feast or famine Pokemon which is stopped by a lot of very good things from pre-home. the +1 defense is absolutely critical for it to really get going, as without it its bulk is good but in the context of having zero recovery it can't really afford to take any decently strong hit on the path to set up. You can alleviate it somewhat with like, grassy terrain support or even wish, but switching this thing out and back in after consuming Dauntless Shield feels really bad and robs it of a lot of its defensive utility and setup opportunities.

Most importantly, while it can get out of control vs weakened teams or the myriad of teams on low-mid ladder that are completely unprepared for it, it's actually worth noting that there's a lot of things that are relatively safe into it, that were already good before home and need few, if any, alterations to beat it. It's not like we're pulling out Wigglytuff for SWSH Ubers Shadow Horse or anything like that, a lot of very viable things beat ironpress that are just getting lost in the shuffle of a bunch of cool new things being dropped all at once. Crowned also has very noticeable 4MSS - you have two moveslots to fit Crunch, Ice Fang, Substitute, and Behemoth Bash into and it needs every single one of these moves (and occasionally a favorable tera type) to have a chance to beat something that it otherwise couldn't.

Let's go through the new good mons, as while as things that were S through B+ on the previous meta's viability rankings, and talk about all of the things Crowned needs a specific move (or tera type) to beat. This is assuming max hp max spe zama, which seems to be the most

:landorus-therian: - uninvested Ice Fang is a 4hko on defensive landorus 96% of the time, all while lando can bounce in and out if it so desires and has actual (minor) healing with leftovers. If you're not running ice fang, good luck. EQ does about 35 from lando at +2 on zama, which isn't damage you can really be affording to take. Helmet Lando also chips it even further since every move in Zama's arsenal is contact.

:zapdos: - Ice Fang 4HKOs, no other move comes close. Zap also has reliable recovery and its it on the special side, completely subverting any boosts it may have accumulated. Zama pretty much can't beat Zapdos regardless of what it runs, and every hit it tries runs the risk of static screwing it over completely.

:slowking-galar: - needs Crunch for a 3hko and if you don't have it you're unable to do much of anything to it while it gets to click glowking buttons on you with little fear. If you do have crunch, it can pivot out and heal back up, and it means you're probably missing something else.

:great-tusk: - this one's a bit complicated. Bulky tusk is a pretty solid check, especially if Zama's expended Dauntless Shield and swapped out, although it doesn't do a whole lot of damage in return. Offensive can hit it really hard on setup turns but is capable of being KO'd back by body press after multiple boosts. It's a decent soft check if nothing else but shouldn't be your only option. If you are tera fairy on zama you can set up on tusk much more easily, but making fairy your tera type makes you lose to several other things.

:iron-valiant: - if you're not running behemoth bash you can't touch valiant for any meaningful damage without several turns of boosting, and behemoth bash is generally the least useful move that you still might need. Valiant also does a lot back on the special side and can force zama out a few times, even though it, like zama, has no recovery, making it strictly an offensive check. You can Tera Steel to shore up the moonblast issue, but then you have a much harder time vs other grounds in the tier.

:dragonite: - Ice Fang is a 3hko and forces dragonite to roost, but if you're not running Ice Fang you can only 3hko it with a +6 body press, all while dnite has opportunities to boost alongside you.

:volcarona: - +3 body press is a 2hko 75% of the time, but if you've already expended your dauntless shield you're gonna need multiple turns to boost. none of zama's other coverage moves do anything of note, and each hit runs the risk of proccing flame body and ruining you on the spot. Fiery Dance is a 3hko at worst even unboosted, and you will be giving volc free turns in any situation but the absolute best for you.

:gholdengo: - you should always be running crunch imo but including this here just because you hard lose to him if you don't have it. He even has reliable recovery!

:toxapex: - sure you get psychic fangs and/or wild charge but have you seen how many different moves I've already listed? Neither of those are terribly worth it on IronPress crowned, especially wild charge. Haze means zama pretty much does nothing unless you're running like, the 6th best move for this one mon.

:hatterene: - 1v1s you unless you have behemoth bash, although if you're tera steel it'll take a really long time for it to do that.

:scream-tail: - see above.

:amoonguss: - behemoth bash and psychic fangs both can 3hko, but you will be taking helmet chip or risking a spore to do it. You can run Substitute to get around Spore, but then you're probably missing Behemoth Bash or Psychic Fangs and you two will kind of just enter a stalemate. If Zama's already tera'd into not steel for whatever reason you can also get clear smogged, which is irritating.

:dondozo: - did you forget we had 3 unaware mons? unaware also ignores the defense boosts from zama so body press is always a clean 3hko. There's nothing Zama can do here, even wild charge is a 5hko and not a good move to run overall.

:skeledirge: - Crunch 3hkos spd dirge but teraing your dirge fixes that, and since it has unaware it doesn't care about body press even if it's not immune to it. Torch Song also ruins zama - it even bypasses substitute!

:clodsire: - this guy's such a sleeper pick right now. substitute and ice fang can ease this matchup, although if clodsire goes tera water there's not much you can do. Clod can theoretically also slot yawn over toxic, which bypasses substitute and forces zama to switch out repeatedly.

:azumarill: - takes negligible damage from anything barring behemoth bash (but also doesn't do a whole lot back, so don't rely on this)

if you didn't click on that, in order to beat good ironpress resists it needs crunch, substitute, behemoth bash, ice fang, psychic fangs, and wild charge. That's six moves for two slots, and forgoing any of them means there's certain things you just will not be able to beat. Zapdos is also the perfect counter and will be very good - it's Zapdos after all. None of the Pokemon I listed are unviable, nor would they need any major moveset alterations beyond what would be considered reasonable. once the meta settles down and magearna/chien pao preferrably get banned, Zama will probably slot in nicely as something you have to account for, but not overwhelmingly so. You could theoretically run resttalk in the last two slots as well, but mono attack seems sketchy.

I get it. It's annoying. IronPress in general is a pretty silly concept (I remember a post or two from last generation about people wanting ferrothorn banned because of it...). It's got good stats, it takes some effort to kill. But it's by no means unbeatable, and it's pretty easy to stop it before it gets to that point. Even just hitting it hard enough on the setup turn and then forcing it out can be a huge detriment - this thing has no recovery and without permanent dauntless shield switching out to a teammate to help that neuters your offensive potential in a lot of ways. I think Zama probably settles down in the A ranks somewhere, something you need to account for but which can be done just by building good teams with good Pokemon anyways.

Lastly, wanting hero banned seems presumptuous. You are never going to see it because IronPress Crowned, as mentioned above, does really well into day 1 offenses. Band's probably cute though.

tldr don't shoot the dogs yet
I'm not sure if people are exploring this but unlike last gen Zapdos and Volcarona aren't exactly 100% reliable counters because
252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 220 Def Zapdos: 188-222 (49 - 57.9%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Zamazenta-Crowned Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 108 Def Volcarona: 504-596 (135.1 - 159.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And doesn't risk static para or flame body burns which could be an appealing option
However this definitely does come with 4MSS despite being able to delete what would be good counters to it.

my point is that chien pao is overated. its a good sweeper, but it struggles hard against anythign it cant ohko. banded isnt that good of an option considering ice has a fair amount of resistances. and it struggles against priority.
252 Atk Choice Band Sword of Ruin Chien-Pao Icicle Crash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Baxcalibur: 280-330 (75.4 - 88.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is a neutral hit on 115/92 Bulk (which is fairly high for an offensive mon, even uninvested), ignoring Sacred Sword as a clean OHKO just incase one is worried about prediction. 1 Layer of Spikes or Stealth Rock puts that into roll range for an OHKO assuming the Pokemon was completely pristine before coming in.

252 SpA Choice Specs Dragapult Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Baxcalibur: 186-219 (50.1 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

This is Specs Dragapult for comparison (Neutral chosen instead of Draco Meteor because this is a power comparison) against virtually identical special Bulk, using a STAB move of the same BP. Chien-Pao's Ability gives it an effective 180 Base Attack stat, which, while we've had power like that dealt with in OU before, has rarely been placed on a Pokemon with that kind of Movepool, speed, and with the Coverage to back it up.

I'm not advocating for a Chien-Pao action because we have other stuff to look at in the immediate window, but this thing is a fast wallbreaker if there ever was one and I fail to see what's overrated. Kingambit and Azumarill are the only previous mons its STABs can't hit for Neutral Damage in OU, with Home adding exactly 2 new checks (with any prayer of sticking around) in Urshifu and Zamazenta before having to go to lower tiers to find the typing. Of those, the most relevant ones in Kingambit and Urshifu both get 1-2 Hit KO'd by Sacred Sword (its most common Coverage move) so it's not like they're going to hold it back for long,

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
I like mag, and I think if tera was gone it would be healthier and back to matchup fish like in gen 7 but shift gear + tera makes it dumb. Sad cause it's great for checking and spikes.
I'm suprised it took this long for somebody to say that Magearna would be balanced w/o Tera. Thought I would be hearing that one a lot more. (To clarify I don't agree with that at all, Mage itself is just broken).

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Definitely not. Dragapult deserves recognition for being a stellar offensive presence that can revitalize itself alongside any metagame condition (I.e: it’s running dual screens curse a lot now, it ran physical more when AV Pex and Ting Lu picked up, etc.), but it’s not broken and it’s definitely not Chien-Pao level.

Pao is able to handpick its counters when you factor in the standard breaker sets and the possibility of SD Tera Blast. Couple this with it forcing a ton of Magearna usage or fringe choices like Tauros-Water and you see it has a greater stronghold on the format. It is more limiting and far stronger at the expense of some versatility and a little speed, which is an awesome trade off overall for Chien-Pao.

So after some games, I would like to share with you which mon are good, broken or just trash

First, the broken one, Pokemons who need a Quickban. Magearna is back and stronger than ever. Support role are good, and would be a great addition without offensive sets. CM Shift gear in addition to stored power and draining kiss is unstoppable, ans thanks to tera, she can set up on mon that can kill her.

Chien-Pao is the second one, he is just a stupid mon, too fast, and with his ability and tera, basically nothing can switch.

Now what are Pokemons that are very good and maybe could deserve a ban.

Zamazenta : I will separate the crowned version and the base form. Incredible speed 138 and 130 attack allows him to be the second fastest mon in the tier. With an incredible bulk 92 130 115, it is really hard to kill him that easily, especially the first time he comes, making him really easy to bring out on physically attacker.
And in opposition to the crowned version. It Can have an item, making him a good user of a choice band or leftovers.
Band version, in addition to a futur sight user is pretty insane, close combat will take down a majority of the metagame and crunch will be here to take down ghost type.
The second set is the body press one, with sub and lefties, he can sweep really easily if you don't have some haze users like toxa, unnaware mon or a draga that can revenge kill him.
I think this mon limits the team building and could be banworthly in the futur.

Zamazenta-crowned : Better defensive stats 92 145 145, better typing, but less speed 128 (In fact it doesn't really care because only chien pao and draga outspeed (some mons can but the're not really relevant). But without an item, healing move, and good setups move besides the Iron defense set, i think he is ok for now. Maybe I will be wrong in the futur but he is more manageable.

Snealser : he looks awful but damn really good mon, really good offensive stats 130 120, cool type, two good talents (umburden and toxic touch), and a plethora of move, u-turn close combat, Sword dance, acrobatics, taunt, toxic spikes (why not ?) and one of the most stuppidest move ever : dire claw. This single move makes him a problematic mon. A move that can make pokemon sleep or else is not good for a competitive game. You can just lose because you switch out on you lando and goes sleep. Theorically, the move can make more than one pokemon asleep and stop you to play the game. Maybe, it should open a debate on luck based move, which i think, will become more widespread.

Ursaluna : Basically ounga-bounga mon, insane bulk 130 105 80, 140 base attack with guts and STAB facade. Yeah kind of insane. Now i don't know if it deserves a ban, trick room is really good because mag is here, so we will see if it's still potent after her ban. And outside of trickroom it requires a ton of support because of a mediocre speed, hazards + flame orb damage, and not so simple to bring out because of her (his ?) weakness (water, ice, fighting, grass).
Also, you can play around immunities, and resistance since you will always outspeed. Maybe in the futur some bulky set will appear ans change my mind but for now i don't know. Maybe, because she can breaks by her-self fat teams made her kind of problematic.

Urshifu RS : he gains sword dance and tera, bulky water can check him but with time and more ban, I don't know if he will broken or not. Good bulk, good stats and a ton of sets, band, scarf, gloves, SD variant now. Same as Zama, futur sight support still exist and would make him unstoppable by outpassing his common check (toxa, gus, rotom, draga...)

For the others mon, I don't see if an other one can be ban (Volcarona IS broken but not new) I will just rank them.

Very good : Lando, slowking g, heatran.
Good (just mons that can be play in OU, a global Idea), Lilligant H (maybe a potential threat), samurott, volcanion, all new rains mons, hoopa, enornamus, braviary, arcanine, zapdos (galar form ans regular one).
Trash : other one

Thanks for reading

So after some games, I would like to share with you which mon are good, broken or just trash

First, the broken one, Pokemons who need a Quickban. Magearna is back and stronger than ever. Support role are good, and would be a great addition without offensive sets. CM Shift gear in addition to stored power and draining kiss is unstoppable, ans thanks to tera, she can set up on mon that can kill her.

Chien-Pao is the second one, he is just a stupid mon, too fast, and with his ability and tera, basically nothing can switch.

Now what are Pokemons that are very good and maybe could deserve a ban.

Zamazenta : I will separate the crowned version and the base form. Incredible speed 138 and 130 attack allows him to be the second fastest mon in the tier. With an incredible bulk 92 130 115, it is really hard to kill him that easily, especially the first time he comes, making him really easy to bring out on physically attacker.
And in opposition to the crowned version. It Can have an item, making him a good user of a choice band or leftovers.
Band version, in addition to a futur sight user is pretty insane, close combat will take down a majority of the metagame and crunch will be here to take down ghost type.
The second set is the body press one, with sub and lefties, he can sweep really easily if you don't have some haze users like toxa, unnaware mon or a draga that can revenge kill him.
I think this mon limits the team building and could be banworthly in the futur.

Zamazenta-crowned : Better defensive stats 92 145 145, better typing, but less speed 128 (In fact it doesn't really care because only chien pao and draga outspeed (some mons can but the're not really relevant). But without an item, healing move, and good setups move besides the Iron defense set, i think he is ok for now. Maybe I will be wrong in the futur but he is more manageable.

Snealser : he looks awful but damn really good mon, really good offensive stats 130 120, cool type, two good talents (umburden and toxic touch), and a plethora of move, u-turn close combat, Sword dance, acrobatics, taunt, toxic spikes (why not ?) and one of the most stuppidest move ever : dire claw. This single move makes him a problematic mon. A move that can make pokemon sleep or else is not good for a competitive game. You can just lose because you switch out on you lando and goes sleep. Theorically, the move can make more than one pokemon asleep and stop you to play the game. Maybe, it should open a debate on luck based move, which i think, will become more widespread.

Ursaluna : Basically ounga-bounga mon, insane bulk 130 105 80, 140 base attack with guts and STAB facade. Yeah kind of insane. Now i don't know if it deserves a ban, trick room is really good because mag is here, so we will see if it's still potent after her ban. And outside of trickroom it requires a ton of support because of a mediocre speed, hazards + flame orb damage, and not so simple to bring out because of her (his ?) weakness (water, ice, fighting, grass).
Also, you can play around immunities, and resistance since you will always outspeed. Maybe in the futur some bulky set will appear ans change my mind but for now i don't know. Maybe, because she can breaks by her-self fat teams made her kind of problematic.

Urshifu RS : he gains sword dance and tera, bulky water can check him but with time and more ban, I don't know if he will broken or not. Good bulk, good stats and a ton of sets, band, scarf, gloves, SD variant now. Same as Zama, futur sight support still exist and would make him unstoppable by outpassing his common check (toxa, gus, rotom, draga...)

For the others mon, I don't see if an other one can be ban (Volcarona IS broken but not new) I will just rank them.

Very good : Lando, slowking g, heatran.
Good (just mons that can be play in OU, a global Idea), Lilligant H (maybe a potential threat), samurott, volcanion, all new rains mons, hoopa, enornamus, braviary, arcanine, zapdos (galar form ans regular one).
Trash : other one

Thanks for reading
My main disagreement here is with Zamazenta-Crowned. Due to its movepool expansion, the only thing truly safe against it is the stall-specific Dondozo. While it does suffer 4MSS, it's not really that severe, as it only really has to choose between losing hard to Gholdengo (if it runs Stone Edge) or potentially getting checked by bulky Volcarona or Zapdos (if it runs Crunch), and even resists get slammed hard by Iron Defense-boosted Body Press.

I am very much a firm believer in the fact that Zamazenta-C does not belong in OU. It's not Magearna-tier broken, but I do believe that once the QBs are out of the way, Zamazenta-Crowned should have a long, hard look taken at it.

Will there be a Tera retest?

I don’t understand why Leki gets banned when what made it unbearable was Tera. Leki is barely viable without it.
Because aside from the usual concerns about the timing and the consideration of the last test, 1-2% of the Mons being broken by a mechanic usually reflects more on them than on the mechanic (compare Dynamax where 80-90% of the roster when Dynamaxed is just objectively better than a non-maxed Pokemon, for the one mechanic we did ban outright).

I think crowned should go, but hero should stay on the radar because at the moment I think its kinda being overshadowed by crowned a little bit, and crowned is definitely the more broken one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)