Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just played a few games with revival blessing and man is this move broken (to no ones surprise)

It has almost no risk at all when using it, since the person who uses revival blessing is almost always gonna be in the advantage after using it. Only exception would be if the opponent could outspeed you and one shot you, which is especially difficult with pawmot. The most stupid thing about revival blessing is the fact that you can revive your tera mon meaning that you can basically have 2 specs ghost tera pults, or 3 if you're running leppa berries. Revival blessing also forces you to play the game completely different.
Lets say I got Tyranitar as my Chi-Yu answer, and I outplay my opponent and manage to outlast the chi-yu, but my ttar is like at 20% HP, then all the opponent has to do is revive it and they basically won just by clicking 1 move with basically nothing I can do about it. It's bad even if I positioned myself to where I can 1 shot the pawmot with my great tusk, since he still gets his wincon back for free and I have nothing against it. The only counterplay to revival blessing is to have your own revival blessing to bring back the checks/counters to the mons the opponent is bringing back, which makes this move incredibly centralizing from my experience.

I would strongly support a quickban for this move or for pawmot (I can't say if rabsca is broken since I haven't played against it)

Prediction: if gholdengo isn’t banned this month it will be >35% usage by end of month. Potentially within reach of 50%.

:gholdengo:

You’re doing yourself a disservice not using gholdengo right now, but unlike landorus it warps the game around hazard stack meta and the use of heavy duty boots. Gholdengo is great against 5 Pokémon HDB teams regardless tho, so you’re still doing a disservice not using it.

:breloom:

that said, if it does get banned, breloom usage is gonna shoooooot up, and maybe so will amoonguss as it’s best counter haha. On the breloom topic.. RIP to the low sweep nerf from 60 BP to 65 BP, it would have been fun to compare low sweep to close combat. Look at how fun these moves that take advantage of technician are:

• bullet seed
• rock tomb
• Mach punch
• bulldoze

Breloom is kinda missing rock blast, arm thrust, bullet punch, and maybe triple axel (is breloom a skater?) very hard, it would be so fun to use with all those technician boosted moves. It’s a shame it’s OHKO’d by just about everything in the current meta.

bulldoze has traditionally been a horrible coverage move, however in the current meta it’s so ridiculously fun, as the flying or levitating types that might come in on it can be slammed by other hits, or generally don’t like coming on breloom. Ground is also extremely effective vs just about the entire offensive meta right now

on the topic of Tera types, someone is going to figure out a team with three major Tera abusers for the most problematic types. Likely fairy/normal/ghost/ground/steel/flying. Basically a lot of teams aren’t really prepared for the problematic types with lots of answers. So if you weaken the main ones, it will create interesting matchup fishing situations. Example:

• fairy has high performance vs the high incidence of high performing dragons/dark/fighting. A lot of teams only carry 1 or max 2 answers to a strong mono-fairy.
• Normal is there because of dragonite and Lucario
• Ghost is there because of dragapult and some miscellaneous threats
• ground is the beat offensive type in the current meta, and possibly the best STAB to have right now, that forces early Tera (to the flying type)
• steel is a valuable mono type for defensive purposes for a lot of threats
• flying is an amazing offensive/defensive type in current meta due to its matchup vs ground and lack of the usual fast electrics to OHKO you before you move

speaking of electric, it might even be one of the Tera types due to the Pokémon that might use it desperately needing a way to break dodonzo and corviknight

Last edited:

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
252 Atk Choice Band Iron Fist Pawmot Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Chi-Yu: 258-306 (102.7 - 121.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Reviving your mons and one shotting Chi-Yu even with scarf, Pawmot is really fun lol

I think that the quickban will come today
I’d rather use Life Orb. Doesn’t guarantee an OHKO with Mach Punch but does 90 minimum and realistically you already have hazards up, and you don’t have to switch out immediately after Revival Blessing.

Kilowattrel. I tested Jolteon and it's a better fast Volt Switcher overall, though still pretty mid. Kilowattrel is really only better in rain teams for Hurricane STAB + Weather Ball or very niche specialized Tailwind teams that really seem to not be worth the trouble. And I honestly think Talonflame is a better rain attacker.
I think Kilo is kind of a niche pick but I wouldn't call it outclassed by Jolteon. I just added one to my team because I had a hard time fitting in a Breloom check and it turns out that STAB Hurricane is so useful with all the Great Tusks and Annihilapes running around.

Of course its frail as all heck, even without rocks, so it can't really switch in on everything, but it has its uses. I agree that its usage is probably going to keep going down though.

And Talonflame being a better rain attacker with its base 74 special attack and x4 rock weakness is an interesting take.

And Talonflame being a better rain attacker with its base 74 special attack and x4 rock weakness is an interesting take.
Because you can get 120 BP double STAB priority with Talonflame. Use Choice Specs to make up for the lack of power. You just need proper hazard clear support. It's a seriously underrated set.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
Because you can get 120 BP double STAB priority with Talonflame. Use Choice Specs to make up for the lack of power. You just need proper hazard clear support. It's a seriously underrated set.
Talonflame is the “proper hazard clear support”. It’s the only Defogger that can answer Gholdengo. (Besides Mold Breaker Hawlucha, which can Defog right in Gholdengo’s face but is also just not good right now.)

Talonflame is the “proper hazard clear support”. It’s the only Defogger that can answer Gholdengo. (Besides Mold Breaker Hawlucha, which can Defog right in Gholdengo’s face but is also just not good right now.)
You can run it as a support or offensively depending on your team needs. Checking Gholdengo with fire coverage on a rain team is also an interesting team build choice. The Rapid Spinners have a better selection if no Defogger works. Like I had some success with Toedscreul. It can spore Gholdengo through its ability and threaten it with ground moves.

alephgalactus

Banned deucer.
You can run it as a support or offensively depending on your team needs. Checking Gholdengo with fire coverage on a rain team is also an interesting team build choice. The Rapid Spinners have a better selection if no Defogger works. Like I had some success with Toedscreul. It can spore Gholdengo through its ability and threaten it with ground moves.
I just don’t think a rain team featuring Toedscruel and Specs Talonflame is going to make that many waves in OU.

Prediction: if gholdengo isn’t banned this month it will be >35% usage by end of month. Potentially within reach of 50%.

:gholdengo:

You’re doing yourself a disservice not using gholdengo right now, but unlike landorus it warps the game around hazard stack meta and the use of heavy duty boots. Gholdengo is great against 5 Pokémon HDB teams regardless tho, so you’re still doing a disservice not using it.
the trifecta Gholdengo, great tusk, glimmora makes for a really unique and healthy meta game that has a sort of gen 4 vibe to it. I think even tough this mons are incredibly good they are landorus therian type of good.

Can we complex quickban Espathra + Stored Power on its moveset until we figure out if Espathra alone is problematic enough to ban
Can we complex quickban Rage Fist + Annihilape until we figure out if Annihilape alone is problematic enough to ban
Can we complex quickban Blaziken + Speed Boost on the same moveset until we figure out if Blaziken alone is problematic enough to ban

I hope you see why we cannot do this.
Can we nerf Tera until we figure of Tera is still broken??

I just saw that Krookodile is in the game and I used it a bit. The STAB combo's good, good stats, great defensive ability or offensive ability depending on what you need and access to both Stealth Rock and Taunt are all pretty useful, also outspeeds and kills Glimmora (leads to a layer of Toxic Spikes, however)

I haven't even played since the implementation but man just the concept of a move that revives a fainted mon sounds disgusting in competitive. I hope it gets banned soon.
I won't lie it's fucking annoying so far. If it's uncompetitive or not depends on how well people can adapt to it, but so far, it feels like the game just becomes so much more frustrating whenever this move is involved

now that revival blessing has been implemented I guess it will get on the radar.

honestly I doubt if this move will get banned(or at least not in this gen) considering that the pokemon with this move aren't that good.
if this move was given to a good pokemon like garchomp then I am sure it would be banned.

honestly I doubt if this move will get banned(or at least not in this gen) considering that the pokemon with this move aren't that good.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Even if something's not very good, it can still be banned if it's deemed uncompetitive and the fact that it frustrates many players so much doesn't help it's case

I think we should give it a few more days to see how it will play out. Personally I think it will either fall completely out of favor or be banned. Maybe even both

Has anybody been playing around with Scream Tail? Its stats except its actual offenses are pretty high. I've been playing around with it as a wishpasser (hasnt been working out but I suck lol)

Also espartha is fucking annoying

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Has anybody been playing around with Scream Tail? Its stats except its actual offenses are pretty high. I've been playing around with it as a wishpasser (hasnt been working out but I suck lol)
Yes, it’s not able to stand out enough in any role to justify consistent high-level use imo. More of a C tier option.
Also espartha is fucking annoying broken
Fixed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)