Resource SV National Dex Monotype Personal Viability Rankings

SV National Dex Monotype Personal VR Project
OP adapted from the SV NU thread

Due to subjectivity within tiering, people will have differing opinions on where Pokemon land on the viability rankings. Thanks to Monotype-based formats having a different viability dynamic for each type, there are multiple potential perspectives on how viable a Pokemon could be in the current National Dex Monotype metagame. With this thread, you can share your own personal viability rankings for any given type, and provide insight into your thought process.​

Rules:

• Do NOT shitpost or post meaningless one-liners;
  • Comments do not need to be made, but they're strongly encouraged;
  • Feel free to rank the Pokemon and types as you'd like, as long as the system is comprehensible and we can understand how your system works;
  • You may post your personal VR for any type you'd like - no need to post all 18 if you do not want to. However, if you want to add a VR for another type later and your post is the last one in the thread, edit your post to avoid double posting;
  • As a suggestion, you can rank them in the usual format (S to C/D, with sub-ranks). You can also add an UR ranking, if you want to comment on possibly controversial ones;
  • If the rankings are massive, use hidetags;
  • You can comment on your own rankings and other users too, but let's keep it cordial; if someone ranked highly a Pokémon you think has no place in the tier, that just means you guys have different views on the meta. You can talk about why you don't agree with it, but don't go too far.

List of Personal VRs per type:

Last edited:
S Rank
:Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn
:Venusaur-mega: Mega Venusaur
:Meowscarada: Meowscarada
A+ Rank

:Lilligant-Hisui: Lilligant-Hisui
:Whimsicott: Whimsicott

A Rank
:Ogerpon-Cornerstone: Ogerpon-Cornerstone
:Hydrapple: Hydrapple

B Rank

:Brambleghast: Brambleghast
:Celebi: Celebi
:Zarude: Zarude

C Rank
:Breloom: Breloom
:Cradily: Cradily
:Ogerpon-Wellspring: Ogerpon-Wellspring
:Rillaboom: Rillaboom
:Sinistcha: Sinistcha

D Rank
:Decidueye-Hisui: Decidueye-Hisui
:Rotom-Mow: Rotom-Mow
:Serperior: Serperior
:Tapu Bulu: Tapu Bulu
:Wo-Chien: Wo-Chien
:Torterra: Torterra

(New) UR
:Toedscruel: Toedscruel

Bold is changes I've made.
:Meowscarada: (A+ -> S) This pokemon dropping out of S is perhaps the strangest rise/drop from the VR team this generation. (no flak yall are great) Nothing has really changed for it, it's standard choice scarf set of Flower Trick/Knock Off/U-Turn/Play Rough still does extremely well into just about everything, outpacing about 95% of the metagame. It gained Triple Axel in DLC2 to scare flying if it wants, but even without that Meowscarada's ability to give its user outs into just about everything has not changed one bit and is still invaluable to the type.
:Whimsicott: (A -> A+) I will admit this one's a bit of bias on my end, but Whimsicott's ability to shut down every setup sweeper (except Farigraf or Hatterene but those guys are lame) with one good read makes it invaluable for a type that already needs to make hard reads more often than some others. Additionally, Pixie Plate boosted Moonblasts still hit rather hard despite its low special attack, and Grass is in no shortage of hazard pressure. Finally, having prankster removal is generally excellent, especially when paired with..
:Ogerpon-Cornerstone: (B -> A) The best sturdy mon in the game. Back when Hearthflame was in the tier Cornerstone was still a solid pick, just nearly impossible to justify over Hearthflame unless you really hate Flying. Now, there's no Hearthflame to outclass it, it can bonk the ever nightmarish Gouging Fire, and there's a lot of endgame situations where sturdy + SD/Trailblaze can steal you an endgame if your opponent misplays even slightly. While all of B tier are good pokemon, I think Cornerstone stands a cut above them as its offensive typing is extremely nice and Sturdy + Whims is such a potent combo.
:Hydrapple: (UR -> A) Definitely good pokemon with good stats, abilities, decent typing, and Earth Power that wasn't on the most recent slate. It was a little underwhelming when I tried it but it has a lot of valuable traits that definitely merit it being on the ranking. Throwing it in C since I think it's better than Bulu / Wo-Chien but not that good.
I was wrong. Hydrapple is literally the fucking goat. Nastyplot is a noobtrap don't use it but Assault Vest with Dragon Tail allows you to do so much both skill wise and gameplay wise. It lives stuff like Gouging FB comfortably, and Regen lets it come in and stay healthy for a long time.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldexmonotype-2030426904 https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nationaldexmonotype-2030430788 Hydrapple replays from a recent roomtour. These are insane.
:Torterra: (UR -> D) Grass getting a shell smasher?? It's certainly capable of doing things but I doubt it's any better than D tier. Still deserves some mention I think, Shell Smash is such a nice move.
:Toedscruel: (D -> UR) Fuck toedscruel. Entirely personal bias.

Last edited:
Some personal VRs for the types I actually like playing, feel free to discuss whatever placement you might disagree with. I'll only give justification for the mons I feel need them that are ranked B and above, with certain exceptions.

S Rank
:Araquanid: Araquanid - Massively helpful mon for Bug's most grueling match ups and generally good specially defensive presence on the type that brings tons of utility and firepower to the table in the form of Webs, anti-leading, specially defensive walling and Adaptabilty boosted water attacks. While definitely lacking in the longevity deparment and perhaps too slow for its own good when discussing offensive sets, and sometimes defensive ones as well, Araquanid is an incredibly versatile mon that feels like a necessary presence in any semi decent Bug team not all out hyper offense, and even then it has a place in those as well

:Kleavor: Kleavor - Great scarfer, great anti fire, flying and mirror tech and quite powerful for its speed tier and downright ridiculous STABs when Sharpness is taken into account, all things considered. Has been a vital part of Bug for well over half a year and I don't think that will be changing any time soon.

:Volcarona: Volcarona - While you could make an argument for this mon not being as good anymore, I'd only say that's because of a weird mix of recency bias and the latest meta changes; while perhaps not as meta defining, that's if only because of how warping this mon presence can be with its jawdropping variety of sets (taking offense, Z move and defensive sets into account) and how it only feels that way because of the fact the meta has forced itself to be able to deal with such a monster of a mon. Volcarona is still one of the most terrifying mons to fight against, and it probably will always be, no Bug team should not use it.

A+ Rank

:Buzzwole: Buzzwole - While the Scarf sets are arguably outclassed by Kleavor, even though they are still perfectly functional, Buzzwole is still the best Bug/Fighting type, and I personally believe its bulky sweeping sets and stall killer with Taunt, Substitute and Bulk Up are madly underrated. Great mon, incredibly helpful in the Steel, Dark, Poison and Fighting match ups, even if somewhat hard to fit nowadays. While I initially would have ranked it as A Rank, I believe its sheer versatility, ability to create a Double Scarfer core together with Kleavor and wonderful defensive presence in the context of Bug overall make it a somewhat underrated option nowadays.

:Pinsir-Mega: Pinsir-Mega - Best mega for the type and Fighting and Grass winner, excellent wall breaker, decently bulky and great priority couple to Scizor; same as Volcarona, it can use either Close Combat or Earthquake to selectively pick what match ups it wants to win. While the speed tier is... not the best, with webs supports it is a truly frightening mon to face against.

:Scizor: Scizor - Versatily incarnated, it can pull almost any set it wants (Band, Physically defensive, Utility, Sweeping with SD and Trailblaze) with surprising excellency and it just wins against Ice and Rock unless they run Shell Smash Cloyster or H-Arcanine, respectively, and even then Bug still has a fair advantage. While not intricately necessary, this mon is still as wonderful as it has always been.

A Rank

:Forretress: Forretress - I would make an argument for it being B Rank, but Forretress is still rather good as hazard removal and general physical wall, with Volt Switch being a great tool for it and through Gyro Ball, Body Press and not too shabby of an Attack stat making it not too passive, even though the opportunity cost of not using Scizor might be a bit too much. Even then, repeating Bug / Steel as a type is not the worst thing in the world.

:Galvantula: Galvantula - Not powerful at all even through Compound Eyes Thunder and not nearly fast enough to compensate, Galvantula is still quite fine on the department of a second special attacker for bug and its Web support and lead sets are still as valuable as ever.

:Scizor-Mega: Scizor-Mega - Actually really good, but you'd definitely prefer either Mega Pinsir or Base Scizor in the vast majority of situations.

:Ribombee: Ribombee - Somewhat goated of a mon, actually: good at a minimum at anything it wants to do, be it remover, general utility, sweeper with QD or even as a Speced "wallbreaker", and a genuinely excellent speed tier make it a valuable addition to any Bug team that can afford to run it.

:Vikavolt: Vikavolt - Stabilizer of the Electric, Water and Flying and great helper in the Ground and Steel ones, I believe of Vikavolt to be the best of the non-Volcarona special attackers, it greatly punishes more passive teams and while the abymal speed tier makes it funkier to use against offense, its decent bulk actually makes it a versatile, decent mon in any match up not called Rock or Fire, where it can still do some excellent wallbreaking against the slower, bulkier mons of either type.

B Rank

:Armaldo: Armaldo - Good at what it wants to do, but you have no actual reason to use it; Bug / Rock is not a good defensive type, you don't want to stack it with Kleavor and you want to use Kleavor, and removal is actually done better by Forretress, Scizor, Ribombee or, hell, even the dumbass set that is Defog Kleavor. Fine, but throughly outclassed and relying in Stone Miss sucks.

:Golisopod: Golisopod - Probably the mon with the most untapped potential of the entire list and with and incredibly high skill ceiling, Golisopod has great typing, excellent priority, peculiar ability and a truly expansive movepool. I believe it can actually be really good, but I'm not too sure about it.

:Heracross: Heracross - Same as Armaldo, just a worse Buzzwole, good if you want to use it and unique on regards to Guts.

:Heracross-Mega: Heracross-Mega - This mon is good and definitely can pull its weight, but it needs far more support than either Scizor or Pinsir and the opportunity cost of not using either of those two is... really bad, sadly. Underexplored, perhaps as good as Scizor-Mega, not sure.

:Lokix: Lokix - Cookie Cutter good mon, helps in Dark, Electric, Psychic and against more defensive types, its priority does wonder and it can be a wallbreaker extraordinaire. Can understand it's hard to fit but that doesn't warrant the C Rank, personally.

C Rank

All of these are good and can pull somewhat unique niches, but are needlessly outclassed

:Durant: Durant - Good bander, really powerful, yet inconsistent and outclassed.

:Frosmoth: Frosmoth - Bad speed tier, QD is always good and its ability is great, yet it is too inconsistent and the lack of HP really hurts.

:Scolipede: Scolipede - The probably best Z Move user in bug not named Volcarona, lacking in power but can get out of hand.

:Slither Wing: Slither Wing - Meh, cookie cutter mediocrity that's not awful.

D Rank

:Centiskorch: Centiskorch - Fire immunity can come in handy and Fire Lash is a great move, not really good otherwise.

:Rabsca: Rabsca - I wish it had Teleport; GREAT coverage, though.

:Yanmega: Yanmega - While it was UnRanked a while ago, I feel it is a... decent to mediocre option for a Special Attacker, at the very least deserving of a mention.

S Rank

:Tornadus-Therian: Tornadus-Therian - Goated; while I agree with the VR on regards to how the type doesn't really have an actual S Ranker, Tornadus is too good to actually pass up in any composition you might want to actually make. As versatile as you can get for a mon, even if the offensive sets end up relying perhaps too much in inaccurate moves.

A+ Rank

:Aerodactyl-Mega: Aerodactyl-Mega - My personal favorite of the two megas. Stupidly fast and surprisingly bulky against anything not named Scizor, as well as surprisingly hard hittin even without boosts.

:Celesteela: Celesteela
:Corviknight: Corviknight - Both Steel Birds (my bad, Skarmory) feel vital to the type on regards to the utility and defensive profile they bring, even if they play completely different from each other.

:Gliscor: Gliscor
:Landorus-Therian: Landorus-Therian - The ground birds are some of the best mons to be found on the format and ridiculous on the utility they bring to the table, vital to the type in the sense that they are necessary in order to deal with Electric but both A+ because of how good both are.

:Mantine: Mantine - Really good mon not ranked higher, for some reason? Great defogger and great into the water, fairy and all around more specially offensive types match ups, great special bulk and all arond just an... excellent mon?

A Rank

:Charizard-Mega-Y: Charizard-Y - Find it somewhat inconsistent, but it is... good, undoubtedly.

:Dragonite: Dragonite - Two trick pony (Choice Band and HDB Dragon Dance) at best, but a really good one at that.

:Enamorus: Enamorus - Probably the best scarfer the type has access to, even with two (contextually applied to her, at the very least) suboptimal abilities.

:Thundurus-Therian: Thundurus-Therian - The best of the electric birds, it has great set versatility even if the scarfer one is somewhat outclassed by Enamorus.

B Rank

:Landorus: Landorus - Opportunity cost galore.

:Skarmory: Skarmory - Great physical wall and hazard setter, you're better off using the other two but it is far from bad.

:Moltres-Galar: Moltres-Galar - Inconsistent, only good in HO.

:Zapdos: Zapdos - Overall good mon, just hard to fit.

:Zapdos-Galar: Zapdos-Galar - A good scarfer and overall walbreaker; same as its Kanto brethen, hard to fit.

C Rank

:Moltres: Moltres - Quite straightforward in what it does, defensively adequate burn spreader that serves as a random chance dependant gap for physical attackers.

:Gyarados: Gyarados - Surprisingly versatile.

:Mandibuzz: Mandibuzz - Have heard it is better than D and, yes, I agree, it works quite well.

D Rank

:Articuno: Articuno - Only... really seen in stall?, Flying can afford to run it and Articuno seems to be good there, if nothing else.

:Braviary-Hisui: Braviary-Hisui - I have never seen this mon actually being put to good use, but can't deny that it has an interesting set of characteristics; if they work or not is anothermatter completely.

:Thundurus: Thundurus - No real reason to use this, but Prankster is an interesting trait.

UR Rank

:Kilowattrel: Kilowattrel - There's no real reason to actually use this mon besides it being incredibly fast; it's not as bulky as Zapdos, laughably weak when compared to Thundurus-T (who also has Volt Absorb, which just nails the coffin even more) neither it has something to set it apart from Thundurus, which, while not good, has a rather unique trait in Prankster. It doesn't even suck as such, it is just... text book example of a mon that is not worth running.

S Rank

:Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn - First setpiece of Grass' infamous defensive core, great support movepool and hazard setter as it always has been.

:Meowscarada: Meowscarada - Incredibly versatile, match up winner.

:Venusaur-Mega: Venusaur-Mega - Second setpiece of Grass' infamous defensive core and not too shabby of a special attacker even with minimal investment.

A+ Rank

:Hydrapple: Hydrapple - Actually quite good, probably the best special attacker the type has access to and with an AV it can actually survive a ridiculous amount of punishment, making it an excellent pivot and overall wallbreaker against slower teams.

:Ogerpon-Cornerstone: Ogerpon-C - Without the oportunity cost of Heartfire, Cornerstone is the premier Bug, Flying and Fire killer; always accurate rock STAB is ridiculous and Ogerpon has tons of set diversity to pick and choose what match ups it wants to do best in.

A Rank

:Whimsicott: Whimsicott - Even when powercrept to hell and back, Whimsicott is still Grass' premier supportive member, with Prankster + Defog + Encore being incredibly good tools to possess.

:Brambleghast: Brambleghast - Good spinner with functional offensive potential through Poltergeist + Power Whip, having a Zapdos hard counter almost trivializes the Electric match up.

:Sinistcha: Sinistcha - These type is severely lacking on the special attacking deparment, but Sinistcha is not too shabby and has a nice variety on its sets, ranging from Double Dance with Calm Mind and Iron Defense or a more direct approach with Calm Mind and semi reliable recovery in Strength Sap.

B Rank

:Lilligant-Hisui: Lilligant-Hisui - Fraud mon, inconsistent and not that strong, even with Victory Dance and Hustle being taken into account. None o

:Celebi:Celebi - God, these special attackers sure are special.

:Iron Leaves: Iron Leaves - Funky move pool, funky speed, but quite strong all things considered and does wonders in the Electric match up, as is to be expected.

:Rillaboom: Rillaboom - Still fine, even with the nerfs, but really hard to slot by virtue of Grass nowadays needing the three S Rankers + Hazard Remover + Special Attacker. Not being as straigh-up good as Ogerpon-Creally is really hurts it when competing for that last slot.

C Rank

:Breloom: Breloom - Can be decent because of Spore, but it is not consistent in the slightest and needs too much team support to be functional.

:Cradily: Cradily - Fine, but it is, first of all, too passive, you can't really slot it anymore. Hydrapple pulls the bulky fire neutral pivot far better while being able to... actually attack back an having one of the best abilities in the entire game.

:Decidueye-Hisui: Decidueye-Hisui - Can be a fine role compressor and Triple Arrows is a stupid move, but it is slow as molasses and has a hardtime effectively threatening anything because of it. The best of the Cs, nonetheless, and arguably as good as Lilligant-H.

:Ogerpon-Wellspring: Ogerpon-Wellspring - Really good mon that sadly does nothing for the type, far better in Water.

:Serperior: Serperior - Leaf Storm + Glare+ Defog + HP Fire is a really good set of tools to have, all things considered, does not feel like a C Ranker to me.

:Torterra: Torterra - Feel it is better than it is being given credit for by virtue of Shell Smash and Shell Smash alone; the meta has been getting somewhat bulkier as of late and Torterra takes advantage of it quite nicely. Can run White Herb for bulk, Yache Berry not to die against ice moves and Loaded Dice for consistent power, it does its job fine enough.

D Rank

:Rotom-Mow: Rotom-Mow - Supposedly anti-Flyingtech that doesn't do anything else at a remarkable level.

:Tapu Bulu: Tapu Bulu - Hypothetically fine but thoroughly outclassed by Rillaboom, which is not even that good.

:Zarude: Zarude - Why would you use this mon at all?, it is strong, I guess, but Meowscarada's rise to fame makes it almost completely irrelevant.

UR Rank

:Toedscruel: Toedscruel - Only somewhat good against Steel, it sucks otherwise.

:Wo-Chien: Wo-Chien - Why would you even use this?, it is somewhat bulky, but the typing is horrendous and it does not do anything of note, fraud mon.

S Rank

:Venusaur-mega: Mega Venusaur

:Muk-Alola: Muk-Alola

:Toxapex: Toxapex

A+ Rank

:Crobat: Crobat

:Sneasler: Sneasler

A Rank

:Clodsire: Clodsire - An Unaware mon is great to have, that's my reasoning. Sadly somewhat passive, but STAB Earthquake helps on that deparment.

:Nidoking: Nidoking

:Nihilego: Nihilego

:Weezing-Galar: Weezing-Galar

B Rank

:Gengar: Gengar - Better than it is being given credit for, definitely not a C Ranker; still a good scarfer and wallbreaker with really impressive coverage, even if it, 8 years laters, still misses levitate.

:Iron Moth: Iron Moth - Not excellent, but has something of a unique niche as a fast, versatile and diverse special attacker that it pulls fairly well in more... offensive Poison compositions, let's say, and even in more defensive ones through either a Scarf or some Specs.

:Slowking-Galar: Slowking-Galar - I could make an argument for this being an A Rank mon. It is quite good, it always is, but the very established defensive core of Poison doesn't really grant that many slots to play with.

C Rank
:Amoonguss: Amoonguss

:Okidogi: Okidogi

:Scolipede: Scolipede - I actually believe this mon is actually better in Poison than it is in Bug, even while powercrept to hell and back it is actually quite decent and has great snowballing potential if you are able to get rid of physical walls.

D Rank
:Glimmora: Glimmora

:Munkidori: Munkidori

:Overqwil: Overqwil - You're not dropping A-Muk for this.

:Salazzle: Salazzle

S Rank

:Gallade-mega: Mega Gallade

:Tapu Lele: Tapu Lele

A+ Rank

:Deoxys-Speed: Deoxys-Speed

:Iron Boulder: Iron Boulder - A good, incredibly fast, versatile mon with a quite good offensive typing that doubles as an abysmal defensive one, makes some match ups trivial (Flying, Bug, Fire, Ice) while making some other harder (Steel, Grass). Would say it is really good overall, competing with Gallade-M and Victini is, however, far from easy.

:Jirachi: Jirachi

:Latias: Latias - Probably the best hazard remover this type has access to overall, the Mist Ball buffs were actually quite handy and it can pull sweeping sets fairly well due to its bulk. Healing Wish is always really nice to have.

:Slowbro: Slowbro

:Victini: Victini - I don't like this mon, but its role in the Steel match up and its admittedly great variety of sets keeps it this high up.

A Rank

:Celebi: Celebi

:Iron Leaves: Iron Leaves - Only here because of its status as a physically offensive mon on a type that, while possessing some really good ones, is usually quite devoid of them. Really good into Electric, as it is to be expected and Steel, I'd say.

:Slowking-Galar: Slowking-Galar - Does anything you want it to do and it will probably do it well, really versatile with a great defensive type and ability to match.

B Rank

:Iron Crown: Iron Crown - Better than I gave it credit for, can pull Double Dance sets quite well thanks to its relatively decent typing and its excellent bulk.

:Alakazam-mega: Mega Alakazam

:Mew: Mew

:Latias-Mega: Mega Latias - Actually quite good as a mon, as it has also proven to be in Dragon, but sadly outclassed by Gallade-Mega as a Mega for the type. Can do its job really well, nonetheless.

:Reuniclus: Reuniclus - The best of the Magic Guard users; really match up fishy, but trivializes any kind of stall and the Double Dance sets of Calm Mind + Acid Armor can be really hard to stop.

C Rank

:Alakazam: Alakazam

:Armarouge: Armarouge

:Hatterene: Hatterene

:Metagross: Metagross - Received some nifty boosts, it's fine.

:Latios: Latios

D Rank

:Bronzong: Bronzong

:Gardevoir-mega: Mega Gardevoir

:Latios-mega: Mega Latios

:Slowbro-mega: Mega Slowbro

:Sigilyph: Sigilyph - Weak and unremarkable otherwise, but Magic Guard and an expansive movepool are really good things to have

:Meloetta: Meloetta

:Scream Tail: Scream Tail

S Rank

:Gholdengo: Gholdengo

:Heatran: Heatran

A+ Rank

:Celesteela: Celesteela

:Ferrothorn: Ferrothorn

:Scizor-Mega: Mega Scizor

A Rank

:Archaludon: Archaludon - Underrated and really versatile, better in Steel than in it is on Dragon. Not speedy but far from slow, it is physically really hard to break and tremendously powerful on the special side, it can do many things and probably do all of them well.

:Corviknight: Corviknight

:Empoleon: Empoleon - Really good typing only adds to the already insane heights of role compression (pivot, hazard removal, rocker, somewhat inconsistent sweeper) this guy achieves, wouldn't say it is a must but it always pulls its weight if needed.

:Excadrill: Excadrill

:Iron Treads: Iron Treads

B Rank

:Aegislash: Aegislash

:Goodra-Hisui: Goodra-Hisui

:Iron Crown: Iron Crown - Neat special steel STAB and workable speed tier might make it a more than functional scarfer and general special attacker for Steel.

:Melmetal: Melmetal

:Skarmory: Skarmory

C Rank

:Bisharp: Bisharp - Gimmicky, can be absolutely terrifying as a Defog punisher and a late game sweeper, even if not to the level of his long gone dad.

:Jirachi: Jirachi

:Klefki: Klefki

:Magnezone: Magnezone

D Rank

:Bronzong: Bronzong

:Cobalion: Cobalion

:Metagross: Metagross - Similar reasoning to Psychic, the buffs make it far more consistent

UR

:Lucario: Lucario - This mon sucks, it is incredibly slow for an offensive mon and made of paper maché, the fighting coverage is far from worth it.

:Orthworm: Orthworm - Without Shed Tail whatever semblance of a niche this had has been completely obiterated, get it out of here.

S Rank

:Toxapex: Toxapex

:Greninja: Greninja - Sludge Wave makes this mon that much more consistent, can somewhat hard counter Fairy and makes it far more consistent at dealing with Electric and any other type with the presence of fairies, which is great.

A+ Rank

:Pelipper: Pelipper

:Swampert: Swampert - Knock Off makes this mon that much more of an insane role compresser, allowing it to pick what it wants to do in any given team. Best Electric immunity by far outside of rain, as well, if only because of pivoting.

:Ogerpon-Wellspring: Ogerpon Wellspring - This mon is great by all accounts: great in the mirror and against slower types such as Poison, Steel and Ground, a type which she shuts completely. Water/Grass is a rather peculiar offensive typing that can be easily rounded up by this mon's ridiculous coverage (Play Rough, Stomping Tantrum, Low Kick, Knock Off, Superpower, or even Zen Headbutt if feeling cheeky) and tremendous supportive movepool (Encore, Taunt, Spiky Shield, the list goes on).

:Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: Urshifu-R

A Rank

:Barraskewda: Barraskewda

:Basculegion-F: Basculegion-F - Best Special Swift Swim sweeper by a long shot, even if it is somewhat lacking in power and its speed is... sub par, more than usable STABs and the ability to pivot makes it a really versatile threat under rain and a fairly functional wallbreaker with specs outside of it.

:Empoleon: Empoleon

:Manaphy: Manaphy - Already expressed my thoughts on the VR, degenerate mon inside and outside of rain.

:Swampert-mega: Mega Swampert

:Tapu Fini: Tapu Fini - Great win condition on rainless water and almost unkillabe with the proper investment, couldn't agree less on regards to its previous positioning.

B Rank

:Dondozo: Dondozo - A match up fish if I've ever seen one, but a really good one at that and the backbone of the Water Stall Archetype, as well as being unkillable in some match ups.

:Gyarados: Gyarados

:Gastrodon: Gastrodon

:Gyarados-mega: Mega Gyarados

:Quaquaval: Quaquaval - Can be somewhat underwhelming, I agree, but the role compression of being able to remove hazards as well as easily snowballing out of control make it fairly decent outside of rain.

:Rotom-Wash: Rotom-Wash

:Samurott-Hisui: Samurott-Hisui

:Slowking: Slowking

:walking-wake: Walking Wake

C Rank

:Araquanid: Araquanid - Already expressed my thoughts on this mon as well. Webs Water has some potential, I believe.

:Crawdaunt: Crawdaunt - Insane wallbreaker, argue for it being far better than D on account of raw power alone.

:Keldeo: Keldeo

:Lanturn: Lanturn

:Mantine: Mantine - Would put it in B rank, but I feel the lack of pivoting hurts it more here than it does on Flying.

:Sharpedo-mega: Mega Sharpedo

:Suicune: Suicune

:Volcanion: Volcanion

D Rank

:Alomomola: Alomomola

:Azumarill: Azumarill

:Cloyster: Cloyster

:Golisopod: Golisopod

:Kingdra: Kingdra

:Slowbro-mega: Mega Slowbro

:Seismitoad: Seismitoad

UR

:Quagsire: Quagsire - Completely outclassed as an electric immunity (Swampert has pivoting and Knock Off, Gastrodon has reliable recovery) and an Unaware mon.

:Slowbro: Slowbro - What does it even do for the type?

Last edited:
I got bored and decided to rank the first few types, will finish the rest when I'm no longer time. Please comment and let's get a discussion started to grow traction.
S Rank
:kleavor:
:volcarona:

A+ Rank
:pinsir-mega:

A Rank
:araquanid:
:forretress:
:scizor:

A- Rank
:buzzwole:
:galvantula:
:scizor-mega:

B Rank
:Heracross:
:Lokix:
:Ribombee:
:Vikavolt:

C Rank
:Armaldo:
:Golisopod:
:Heracross-Mega:
:Slither-Wing:

D Rank
:Frosmoth:
:Rabsca:
:Scolipede:
:Shuckle:
:Yanmega:
S Rank
:Meowscarada:

S- Rank
:Muk-Alola:
:Sableye-mega:

A+ Rank
:Hydreigon:
:Moltres-Galar:

A Rank
:Ting-Lu:
:Weavile:

A- Rank
:Greninja:
:Mandibuzz:
:Roaring Moon:

B Rank
:Grimmsnarl:
:Tyranitar:
:Tyranitar-mega:
:Samurott-Hisui:

C Rank
:Bisharp:
:Krookodile:
:Overqwil:
:Zarude:

D Rank
:Drapion:
:Incineroar:
:Iron Jugulis:
S Rank
:Garchomp:
:Goodra-Hisui:

A+ Rank
:Altaria-mega:
:Gouging-Fire:
:Kommo-o:

A Rank
:Dragonite:
:Kyurem:
:Latios:
:Roaring Moon:

B Rank
:Archaludon:
:Cyclizar:
:Dragalge:
:Latias-mega:
:walking-wake:

C Rank
:Hydreigon:
:Latias:
:Latios-mega:
:Raging-bolt:

D Rank
:Duraludon:
:Garchomp-mega:
S Rank
:Iron Hands:
:Tapu Koko:

A+ Rank
:Rotom-Wash:
:Zapdos:

A Rank
:Raichu-Alola:
:Regieleki:
:Zeraora:

B Rank
:Magnezone:
:Sandy Shocks:

C Rank
:Golem-Alola:
:Pawmot:
:Raging-Bolt:
:Rotom-Mow:
:Thundurus:

D Rank
:Dracozolt:
:Electrode-Hisui:
:Iron-thorns:
:Raikou: Raikou
:Vikavolt:
:Xurkitree: Xurkitree
S Rank
:Diancie-Mega:
:Iron Valiant:

A+ Rank
:Klefki:
:Tapu Koko:

A Rank
:Tapu Bulu:
:Tapu Lele:

B Rank
:Azumarill:
:Clefable:
:Enamorus:
:Mimikyu:
:Tapu Fini:

C Rank
:Hatterene:
:Ninetales-Alola:
:Ribombee:
:Tinkaton:

D Rank
:Fezandipiti:
:Mawile:
:Togekiss:
:Weezing-Galar:
S Rank
:Great Tusk:
:Iron Hands:
:Iron Valiant:

A+ Rank
:Gallade-mega:
:Sneasler: Sneasler

A Rank
:Kommo-o:

B Rank
:Cobalion:
:Keldeo:
:Terrakion:
:Urshifu:
:Zapdos-Galar:

C Rank
:Breloom:
:Buzzwole:
:Heracross:
:Infernape:
:Lilligant-Hisui:
:Okidogi:

D Rank
:Hawlucha:
:Lucario:
:Pawmot:
:Quaquaval:
:Slither WIng:
:Tauros-Paldea-Fire:
S Rank
:Charizard-mega-X:
:Cinderace:

A+ Rank
:Heatran:
:Volcarona:

A Rank
:Blacephalon:
:Gouging-fire:
:Torkoal:

B Rank
:Ceruledge:
:Charizard-mega-Y:
:Rotom-Heat:
:Victini:
:Volcanion:

C Rank
:Arcanine-Hisui:
:Iron Moth:
:Marowak-Alola:
:Moltres:
:Skeledirge:

D Rank
:Armarouge:
:Incineroar:
:Infernape:
:Ninetales:
A+ Rank
:Celesteela:
:Corviknight:
:Enamorus:
:Landorus-Therian:
:Tornadus-Therian:

A Rank
:Aerodactyl-mega:
:Dragonite:
:Gliscor:
:Charizard-mega-Y:

B Rank
:Landorus:
:Mantine:
:Moltres-Galar:
:Thundurus-Therian:
:Zapdos:

C Rank
:Articuno:
:Moltres:
:Skarmory:
:Zapdos-Galar:

D Rank
:Braviary-Hisui:
:Gyarados:
:Kilowattrel:
:Mandibuzz:
:Thundurus:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)