Other Pre-DLC SV Monotype Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cyclizar is not better on Dragon than Normal. maroon and I discussed this on Showdown a few days ago - all the lizard can do for Drwogn is be a Shed Tail bot, but for Normal, it’s really useful to enable H-Zoro and Ursaluna. Trust me on this one, I wrote the analysis.

Normal is a good off-meta type. I’d be a bit optimistic in putting it in B, but it definitely shouldn’t be in D.
Agree that Cyclizar is better on Normal than Dragon, only time Dragon really cares about hazards is non HDB Dragonite and Baxcalibur.

That said, I can’t support Normal in B, it can’t do offensive nearly as well as stuff like Fairy, Dark, Fighting and Dragon and can’t do balance nearly as well as Water, Poison and Steel. It also doesn’t really have any good matchups besides Ghost (and even then Ghost can still take countermeasures). When I was doing the core ladder challenges, no matter what type I used I never dreaded running into a Normal team.

Giyu

Love is the most twisted curse of them all
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
Cyclizar is not better on Dragon than Normal. maroon and I discussed this on Showdown a few days ago - all the lizard can do for Drwogn is be a Shed Tail bot, but for Normal, it’s really useful to enable H-Zoro and Ursaluna. Trust me on this one, I wrote the analysis.
I'd argue that Cyclizar provides a lot more utility than just being a Shed Tail spam-bot on Dragon. Being the only reliable method of entry hazard removal is huge for Loaded Dice Baxcalibur and Choice Band Dragonite. Cyclizar is also the only Knock Off user on Dragon which can be crucial for the wallbreakers and preserves Dragon's heavy stacking of entry hazards with Taunt.

Dead by Daylight

16 colors, I’m so lonely
is a Pre-Contributor
Agree that Cyclizar is better on Normal than Dragon, only time Dragon really cares about hazards is non HDB Dragonite and Baxcalibur.

That said, I can’t support Normal in B, it can’t do offensive nearly as well as stuff like Fairy, Dark, Fighting and Dragon and can’t do balance nearly as well as Water, Poison and Steel. It also doesn’t really have any good matchups besides Ghost (and even then Ghost can still take countermeasures). When I was doing the core ladder challenges, no matter what type I used I never dreaded running into a Normal team.
That's fair, I honestly don't see Normal in B if I'm being honest, but there is a small case for its inclusion as a lower B-tier pick.

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
With DLC1 on the horizon, I wanted to reflect on where I think all the individual types stand in the current meta. I've probably played close to 1000 SV Mono games over the past few months, and have really enjoyed getting properly stuck into the meta and the community. Anyway, here is the list (left -> right = best -> worst):

View attachment 550771

S Tier
I think most would agree this is the best type right now. Completely ignores the Spikes-infested meta, and has a plethora of excellent mons that allow for real diversity in teambuilding. Corviknight is the best hazard removal in the tier and is generally a fantastic pivot mon that deals with key threats in the meta such as FM and Pao. Outside of Corviknight you have many other great defensive staples such as Lando-T and Zapdos, as well as fantastic wallbreakers, sweepers, and cleaners in Dragonite, Enamorus, Lando-I, and so on. Flying also has the valuable trait of being able to tech to better deal with its less favourable matchups, such as through running Articuno for Water and Moltres for Dark and Steel. The only real drawbacks of this type are a lack of a good Spikes setter, not having the crazy Speed tiers some of the other types hit (although Enam is an excellent Scarfer), and being weak to Ice (although Ice is very rare).
Extremely strong offensive type that to an extent dictates teambuilding of all the other types. Chien-Pao and Kingambit are an insane offensive core that are ridiculously easy to use and many types simply can't answer. Outside of this, Dark has two excellent utility mons in Sableye and Ting-Lu who form the defensive backbone of your team, fully abuse the hazard-centric meta through Knock Off and dual hazards respectively, and help deal with Dark's primary weaknesses in Fighting and Fairy. The last two slots on a Dark team are flexible, but particularly stand outs are Greninja and Hydreigon as excellent wallbreakers, and Meowscarada as one of the best Scarfers in the meta. This type is only really held back by having a total lack of any hazard removal, and having a pretty poor matchup into Fairy. That being said however, I honestly don't think it would be unreasonable to call this the best type over Flying.
Great offensive and defensive types with tons of great team choices. Of the type's two main playstyles, these being rain offence and weatherless balance, I do think balance is superior due to its consistency and Pelipper itself not being a great mon. Water is fairly self-explanatory as to why it's so good; you have an excellent defensive backbone to any team in Toxapex, Quagsire/Gastrodon, and Rotom-W, and then your pick of amazing offensive choices including Urshifu-R, Greninja, Samurott-H, and so on. Water's worst matchup, Grass, is arguably the worst type in the game and is virtually never seen in tournament settings; it generally performs excellently against every other type with the notable exception of Poison. Held back from the top 2 by not being on quite the same level of power and by Quaquaval being a pretty bad spinner, but it's still a consistently excellent type.
Comparable to Dark in being an absurdly powerful offensive type. Specs Flutter and Scarf Valiant bowl over entire teams; Enamorus serves as a flexible pivot and cleaner; Azumarill is a pretty slept on sweeper with excellent bulk and defensive characteristics; Hatterene is another bulky threat who is great at warding off hazards just though its presence on your team; Klefki is a great glue mon who can rack up Spikes with ease and support its team with screens. Slightly held back by not having great options for a Stealth Rock setter, being a bit weak to Steel, and by getting run over by Electric of all types, but Fairy is still an incredibly potent type in this meta.

A Tier
Solid balanced type with a fantastic immunity core in Corviknight, Heatran, and Gholdengo, as well as one of the best sweepers in the meta in Kingambit. Somewhat limited by not having a good matchup into Dark, and having to pick between having a Water resist in Goodra-H, a Spikes setter in Klefki, and an easy Pao/FM check in Scizor, but overall a consistently great type despite not being on the level of the top 4.
At first glance you would question why Ground would rank so high on this list, considering it should have notionally bad matchups against Flying, Dark (because of Chien-Pao), and Water. However, Ground has decent answers to all of its weaknesses through Sandy Shocks for Flying, Unaware Quagsire and Scarf Tusk/Treads for Dark, and Water Absorb Clodsire for Water. Outside of these more problematic matchups, Ground is generally another great balanced type similar to Steel, with a solid matchup spread and a host of great defensive and offensive options for teambuilding. If Chien-Pao gets banned, I could easily see this type entering the top 4.
Despite having some of the strongest offensive mons in the entire game in Spectrier and Flutter Mane, I feel like this type is still undervalued at the top levels of play. While Ghost is held back by the prominence of Dark in the current meta, as well as a lack of defensive synergy or a good Stealth Rock setter in its options, the type is still extremely powerful. Spectrier and Flutter Mane alone can invalidate balance teams due to the general lack of good Ghost resists on most types, and outside of these Ghost has many good utility options that can help skew certain matchups in its favour. Another useful feature of Ghost is its ease of keeping Spikes up against the vast majority of types due to its blanket immunity to Rapid Spin, which can really help break down defensive structures quickly. I think the type overall suffers from 6 teamslot syndrome where you can't really cover all the weaknesses you'd want to at once, but it is still a great threat in the current meta that is not be to underestimated.
Another great offensive type that is particularly notable due to Zamazenta being one of the best sweepers in the whole tier. Unfortunately, this type is held back by its weaknesses to Flying, Fairy, and Ghost, none of which it really has anything to deal with well (although Iron Hands is annoying for Flying). Fighting is further limited by having no good answers to powerful Psychic and Fairy moves, which is problematic against certain mons like Enamorus, Iron Valiant, and Greninja. Despite these shortcomings, Fighting still manages to hold on to A tier due to the mons it does have simply being so incredibly powerful against most of the metagame.

B Tier
Dragon teams are basically just a bunch of individually strong mons thrown together without any real defensive or offensive synergy that aim to overwhelm teams through brute force. This can be very successful, and Dragon is particularly notable for having one of the best matchups against Flying due to Baxcalibur being able to run through entire Flying teams. However, Dragon also has crippling weaknesses to Dark, Fairy, and Ghost which prevent it from being consistent enough to be ranked as an A tier type for me. Goodra-H is simply not sufficient as an answer to Chien-Pao and Flutter Mane due to its lack of longevity, which is exacerbated by its weakness to hazards.
Good balance type featuring some of the best defensive mons, including an excellent Regenerator core in Toxapex, Amoonguss, and Slowking-G. Poison excels at layering the field in hazards, using Corrosion Toxic from Glimmora or Salazzle to cripple defensive staples such as Corviknight, Heatran, and opposing Poison types, and then constantly switching around as opponents are gradually broken down. Muk-A really helps this type excel, serving as an excellent answer to Psychic types, and generating valuable progress through Knock Off. Poison even has good breakers and cleaners in Sneasler, Iron Moth, and Gengar. The type also stands out by having excellent matchups against Water and Fairy. Unfortunately however, this type is restricted by its lack of a natural Ground immunity (although Air Balloon Glimmora and Amoonguss are decent answers to EQ spam). Moreover, Poison suffers from 6 teamslot syndrome where it feels every team comes with heavy compromises at the minute, and has poor matchups into Dark, Flying, Steel, and Ground, all of which serves to limit its potential.
Not exceptional but creeps into B tier due to having a solid defensive core in Zapdos, Rotom-W, and Iron Hands, and having a notably incredibly strong matchup against Fairy. Regieleki cleaves through teams without a Ground-type with ease, Sandy Shocks is a great offensive threat that can fairly easily hazard stack, and other options like Magnezone, Pawmot, and Thundurus-T are decent too. Can see the argument for this being in C tier because it does feel a little matchup dependent at times, but overall it has enough good and unique traits to make it a decent anti-meta pick.

C Tier
The Chien-Pao and Baxcalibur Show. You pick Ice if you want to absolutely crush Flying and Ground. Outside of these matchups, it's not particularly great. Chien-Pao and Baxcalibur are incredibly threatening with Aurora Veil and snow support and are not to be underestimated, but Abomasnow is an incredibly flawed Aurora Veil setter, and your other options outside of this aren't very good. Avalugg underrated though
Fire is incredibly frustrating to me because in a vacuum it feels like it has all the tools it would want to succeed, but ultimately comes out mediocre. Sun offence is alright and you have potent offensive mons to take advantage of it in Volcarona and Cinderace, but Torkoal is a pretty bad mon that feels like dead weight on sun teams, and sun also has the issue of boosting opposing Protosynthesis mons. Perhaps weatherless balance teams have more potential but frankly I fail to see the point in using them compared to defensively superior types. Fire really suffers from 6 teamslot syndrome; it's very difficult to cover your main weaknesses while also having the offensive presence that justifies using this type. Matchups against the top types are generally very shaky. Perhaps there is potential here, but so far I've failed to see it.
This is a type that has one great mon in Volcarona and not many other great options. You do have unique offensive tools in Kleavor and Scizor, but Forretress is a pretty unreliable spinner and spiker that struggles to prop up its team; usually you have to choose between spinning or setting Spikes due to Forretress' poor longevity. Bug's matchups against the top types also aren't particularly impressive. Volcarona can take games surprisingly easily if it's given the chance to set up, but overall Bug is inconsistent.
Normal has a few good options in Ditto, Cyclizar, Ursaluna, and Zoroark-H, but everything outside of that is fairly mediocre. I find it hard to justify running this type considering all of its best mons bar Ditto are available on better types. The main things Normal has going for it are passing Shed Tail into Ursaluna, which greatly enhances its sweeping capabilities, and Ditto, who is a uniquely excellent revenge killer (albeit one that can be fairly useless against balance teams). Normal is especially held back by not having a good hazard setter; Blissey really feels like dead weight at times, although you can use it to spread paralysis or Healing Wish into something. Overall, Normal is fittingly very mediocre.
Apologies to Bka, but Psychic is bad. I was honestly debating whether to put this in D tier, but Espathra's unique ability to take games by surprise ultimately earned Psychic a begrudging place at the bottom of C tier. The first thing to note with this type is that balance structures are unviable because you have no good answers to common attacking types like Dark, Ghost, and Fairy, so you're pigeon-holed into running HO. As said, Espathra can run through some unprepared teams, and some of Psychic's other offensive options such as Hoopa-U, Gallade, and Armarouge are decent too. Overall though, in my experience Espathra rarely seems to gets its sweeps going, and is completely stuffed by many of the common Dark types in the meta right now. Psychic's matchup spread is very poor, with it being weak against the majority of the S tier and A tier types, and in particular essentially auto-losing to Dark. This is a wildly inconsistent type I would not use in any setting where I actually want to win.

D Rank (Abandon all hope ye who enter here)
There's a few decent mons here, but ultimately this type has no good way of answering Ground, Fighting, and Water moves, and doesn't have a strong enough offensive presence to justify its use. Garganacl is good, but is nowhere near as threatening or bulky without Tera. Rock usually only takes games when its opponent chokes.
There's 3 good mons here, none of which particularly synergize well, and then a pile of trash. Grass teams get run over by basically every type except Rock and Water, and even against Water the type doesn't have any good answers for Pelipper. This is not to mention that all of Grass' best mons are on other, better types; at least Rock has unique reasons why you might use it. By far the worst type in the post-HOME meta.

Thank you for reading if you got this far, and if you have any strongly differing opinions I'd be interested to hear them. Looking forward to seeing how SV Mono continues to develop over the DLCs, especially now that we have new tier leadership.
The general ranking is decent imo, but I think there's a few stuff within the tiers that needs a little rearrangement:

• Water and Fairy should Swap places. Water can also potentially move down to A
    • Water has a poorer matchup compared to Fairy, considering Dark matchup isnt a guarantee, you need Specs Gren/Specs Wake + Band Urshifu to seal the Flying matchup (isnt even guaranteed because cuno + zap), and Fairy matchup is just dire due to Hatterene and Flutter Man. Rain Water > non Rain Water though btw.
    • Meanwhile, Fairy enjoys a great matchup spread, only truly hindered by A.Muk Dark, Steel (and even then, BD Azu is a problem), and Poison.
  • Ghost and Fighting should swap places
    • Ghost has a lot of problems, as while its great defensively, not being able to answer rain water properly, getting Muk-ed in Dark, and struggling with Fairy due to the FM under screens is a problem. Kingambit and Heatran are also very painful (Steel matchup).
    • On the other hand, Fighting does have a Ghost and Fairy problem, but at least it can muscle through Water and Steel with ease.
  • Bug to B, Poison to C
    • Bug op. Bug has Kleavor + Frosmoth to beat Flying, First Impression for Dark, Scizor for helping in Fairy. It also has access to Volcaroo, which is quite difficult for some types to check (eg. Fighting).
    • On the other hand Poison's claim to fame is the type thats best to hardwall Water and Fairy. Thats all. It struggles with Ground because of Ursaluna, Dragon because Bax op, Dark because Kingambit + Pao is actually stupid, Flying because of BU / Sub Lando-T, and Steel because Corviknight.
  • Possibly Fire to B (but I dont feel really strongly about this)
    • There's not a lot of Fire resists that doesnt get smoked by firing fire attacks repeatedly, though for the ones that can, you have Paldean Tauros to beat them. Heatran is a great Flutter Man check, and the aforementioned Paldean Tauros checks Kingambit. Also has Volcarona. Rain Water, Dragon, and Ground are dire though.
Cyclizar is not better on Dragon than Normal.
Even though Cyclizar is just a shed tail bot on Dragon, what it enables is far more dangerous there than in Normal. Having a free turn behind a sub for Dnite, Bax, and Pult can be really worrisome, especially when you have ways to make them not break the sub in one hit. Also, Cyclizar's shed tail is the only way dragon can safely swap in, which is extremely good considering you want to preserve HP on Sweepers as much as possible.

I hope we'll have a nicer DLC1 meta, coming up in two days :D

• Bug to B, Poison to C
    • Bug op. Bug has Kleavor + Frosmoth to beat Flying, First Impression for Dark, Scizor for helping in Fairy. It also has access to Volcaroo, which is quite difficult for some types to check (eg. Fighting).
    • On the other hand Poison's claim to fame is the type thats best to hardwall Water and Fairy. Thats all. It struggles with Ground because of Ursaluna, Dragon because Bax op, Dark because Kingambit + Pao is actually stupid, Flying because of BU / Sub Lando-T, and Steel because Corviknight.
Gonna just add, even without Frosmoth bug still has a solid Fly - depending on build, many flying teams have no way of beating Will o Volc

TTK

Narmaya. That's it.
is a Community Contributor
Hello my Monotype community. Today I'm going to sort out the information for DLC1, tell you what mons came back, what new moves they have just so we can have a place to discuss how this is going to affect our metagame.

Returning Pokémon: :ariados: :yanmega: :volbeat: :illumise: :leavanny: :ribombee: :vikavolt:
New Pokémon: None

Noteworthy changes:
- Knock Off :lokix:
- Knock Off, Dual Wingbeat :scizor:
- Toxic :venomoth:
Returning Pokémon: :mightyena: :crawdaunt: :shiftry: :mandibuzz: :darkrai:(#freedarkrai) :morpeko:

Noteworthy changes:
- Knock Off :tyranitar: :roaring-moon: :weavile: :krookodile: :zarude: :lokix:
- Toxic :umbreon:
- Flip Turn :samurott-hisui:
- Defog, Toxic :mandibuzz:
- Poltergeist :spiritomb:
Returning Pokémon: :kommo-o:
New Pokémon: Dipplin

Noteworthy changes:
- Scald, Knock Off, Flip Turn :walking-wake:
- Scald :dragalge:
- Toxic :goodra: (NOT HISUI)
- Knock Off :goodra-hisui: :goodra: :roaring-moon:
- Scale Shot :baxcalibur: :garchomp: :haxorus:
Returning Pokémon: :golem-alola: :vikavolt: :morpeko:

Noteworthy changes:
- Toxic :bellibolt:
- Knock Off :eelektross:
Returning Pokémon: :ribombee: :ninetales-alola: :weezing-galar: :clefable:
New Pokémon: Fezandipiti

Noteworthy changes:
- Knock Off :azumarill:
- Misty Explosion :carbink: :diancie: :enamorus: :florges: :gardevoir: :hatterene: :scream-tail: :sylveon:
- Vacuum Wave :iron-valiant: :gardevoir:
Returning Pokémon: :mienshao: :conkeldurr: :poliwrath: :infernape: :kommo-o:
New Pokémon: Okidogi

Noteworthy changes:
- Knock Off :falinks: :zapdos-galar:
- Vacuum Wave :iron-valiant:
- Ice Spinner :mienshao:
Returning Pokémon: :infernape: :ninetales: :magcargo: :chandelure:
New Pokémon: Heartflame Ogerpon

Noteworthy changes:
- Poltergeist :ceruledge:
- Toxic :houndoom: :iron-moth:
- Aura Sphere, Knock Off, Drain Punch :infernape:
Returning Pokémon: :yanmega: :gliscor: :mandibuzz: :swanna: :cramorant: :noctowl:

Noteworthy changes:
- Spikes/Toxic Spikes :gliscor: (no roost though)
- Gravity :landorus: :landorus-therian:
- Knock Off :tornadus-therian: :thundurus-therian:
Returning Pokémon: :dusclops: :dusknoir: :chandelure: :trevenant:
New Pokémon: Sinistcha

Noteworthy changes:
- Poltergeist :banette: :ceruledge: :brambleghast::zoroark-hisui: :spiritomb: :decidueye:
- Knock Off, Toxic :trevenant:
Returning Pokémon: :torterra: :leavanny: :victreebel: :shiftry: :trevenant: :ludicolo: :shaymin: :shaymin-sky:(free skymin)
New Pokémon: All Ogerpon, Dipplin, Sinistcha

Noteworthy changes:
SHELL SMASH :torterra: LETS GO. HEADLONG RUSH TOO
- Wind Rider :shiftry:
- Poltergeist :brambleghast:
- Grassy Glide, High Horsepower :rillaboom:
- Poltergeist :decidueye:
- Superpower, Knock Off, Defog :lurantis:
- Knock Off :tsareena: :zarude:
- Toxic, Knock Off :toedscruel:
- Toxic :trevenant:
Returning Pokémon: :torterra: :golem: :mamoswine: :sandslash: :gliscor:
New Pokémon: Bloodmoon Ursaluna

Noteworthy changes:
SHELL SMASH :torterra: LETS GO. HEADLONG RUSH TOO
- Gravity :landorus: :landorus-therian:
- Smack Down :great-tusk: :ursaluna:
- Spikes/Tspikes :gliscor:
- Scale Shot :garchomp:
- Knock Off :krookodile:
- Toxic, Knock Off :toedscruel:
Returning Pokémon: :piloswine: :mamoswine: :ninetales-alola: :sandslash-alola:

Noteworthy changes:
- Knock Off :weavile: :cetitan:
- Scale Shot :baxcalibur:
- High Horsepower :glastrier:
Returning Pokémon: :snorlax: :ambipom: :furret: :noctowl:

Noteworthy changes:
- Tidy Up :furret:
- Poltergeist :zoroark-hisui:
- Toxic :dudunsparce:
- Knock Off :meloetta: :zangoose:
- Scale Shot :cyclizar:
- Smack Down :ursaluna:
Returning Pokémon: :victreebel: :arbok: :weezing: :weezing-galar:
New Pokémon: Fezandipiti, Okidogi, Munkidori

Noteworthy changes:
- High Horsepower :revavroom:
- Toxic :venomoth: :iron-moth:
- Defog :weezing-galar:
- Psychic Fangs, Scale Shot, Knock Off :arbok:
Returning Pokémon: :jirachi: :chimecho:
New Pokémon: Munkidori

Noteworthy changes:
- Knock Off :mesprit: :azelf: :uxie:
- Toxic and every new TM :mew:
- Vacuum Wave :gardevoir: :braviary-hisui:
Returning Pokémon: :golem: :golem-alola: :probopass: :magcargo:
New Pokémon: Cornerstone Ogerpon

Noteworthy changes:
- Knock Off :tyranitar:
- Dual Wingbeat :kleavor:
Returning Pokémon: :empoleon: :probopass: :sandslash-alola: :jirachI:

Noteworthy changes:
- Roost, Flip Turn :empoleon:
- Knock Off, Dual Wingbeat, Bug Bite :scizor:
- Knock Off :goodra-hisui:
Returning Pokémon: :empoleon: :manaphy: :poliwrath: :phione: :swanna: :cramorant: :crawdaunt: :politoed: :ludicolo: :milotic:
New Pokémon: Wellspring Ogerpon

Noteworthy changes:
- Flip Turn :samurott-hisui: :empoleon: :barraskewda: :alomomola::basculegion: :floatzel: :walking-wake: :quaquaval: :milotic: :bruxish: :inteleon:
- Roost :empoleon:
- Knock Off :azumarill: :quaquaval:
- Tail Glow, Take Heart, Hydro Pump :manaphy:
- Defog :swanna: :cramorant:
- Scald :walking-wake: :slowbro: :slowking: :vaporeon: :alomomola: :gyarados: :inteleon: :milotic: :manaphy:

I haven't updated all of the Noteworthy changes for each type (there's a lot to go through, I have things to do) but some of you probably know a lot already so we can discuss it now.

EDIT 1: Most of the types have been updated here
EDIT 2: Information for every type, if I missed anything, there's a lot tbf

EDIT 3: Was updated throughout the day, also sorted a bit more s/o diegoblu for mentioning Knock Off duplication

Last edited:

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
Cat thoughts, may be wrong:
  • Big Winners
    • Ice finally gets a competitive weather setter and entry hazard setter. We'll finally see the ugliness of Baxcalibur (now with Scale Shot too!) under snow and screens more often. It also gets a Hatterene + Fluttermane check in :sandslash-alola:, which is stonks.
    • Poison gets its immunity core back in :weezing-galar:, and Okidogi seems poised to be a decent steelkiller with a Bulk Up set, which was briefly touched on by the monotype room. Glimmora's days might be numbered, or maybe not, if it proves to be better than Salazzle in the Corrosion Toxic game.
    • Fairy :azumarill:getting Knock Off is huge for Fairy as it allows Azumarill to only spend a move to break Steel and Poison teams simultaneously. :clefable: also helps in entry hazard stacking, or can go over Hatterene with a Calm Mind set if desired, letting it target matchups that arent Water better. Vacuum Wave :iron-valiant: might also do waves, notably killing Chien-Pao and picking off the odd Iron Treads. Knock Off :enamorus: might also be decent on removing items on Alolan Muk, though do you really want to lock into that move?
    • Ground between the return of :mamoswine: to ease the Flying matchup, :landorus: getting Gravity, and :ursaluna: getting a special attacking form (and Vacuum Wave to beat Chien-Pao), Ground might prove to be one of the top 3 types in the DLC metagame.
  • Notable shifts in composition
    • Dark finally gets defog in :mandibuzz:, which frees up Chien-Pao and gives dangerous breakers like the aforementioned Cat, along with Hoopa-U more time to wreak havoc.
    • Dragon :roaring-moon: having access to Knock is quite useful, making Garchomp's Spikes more impactful. :walking-wake: getting Scald and Flip Turn lets it be more punishing, and forms a Flip-Turn core with the aforementioned Roaring Moon. :baxcalibur: getting Scale Shot also shakes up the SD set, though it has to forgo Ice Shard for this. Kommo-o provides an alternative entry hazard setter that can check Kingambit, or use Clangorous Soul with Vacuum Wave and Flamethrower.
    • Flying gets :gliscor: (now with Spikes!) and Knock off on genies not named Landorus, making a bulky playstyle much more annoying to handle.
    • Grass gets an Ogrepon to toy with, which has access to Swords Dance and some form of recovery with Horn Leech. Fire Ogrepon has Mold Breaker to cudgel Heatran (though its not an OHKO at +2) and has enough bulk to not get OHKO'ed by Chien Pao's Icicle Crash. It cannot hold an item though. :brambleghast: also gets access to Poltergeist, allowing it to finally do something to opposing Hurricane users like Zapdos. :torterra: with Shell Smash is also great, allowing it to break through Poison teams with ease (run Heavy Slam for G.Weezing, which dies at +2, while Amoonguss folds to +2 Headlong Rush if boosted with Soft Sand). :rillaboom: gets Grassy Glide back, though it doesnt really seem still worth running.
    • Water gets an :empoleon: (F-Dry check) with Roost, a very bulky Wishpasser in :alomomola:, and :manaphy: to smash Poison (it also gets Scald to no u Alolan Muk). Flip Turn comes back for :barraskewda: and :basculegion-f:, and Knock off makes :quaquaval:less bad. How do you fit all of these though? I dont know
      • Toxapex is also dead dead with no Scald nor Knock Off so...
  • Sidegrades
    • Ghost Poltergeist's distribution is not bad, :decidueye: can now victimize a Gholdengo trying to come into its Defog and :ceruledge: gets a better Ghost STAB.
    • Steel gets access to :jirachi:, a fast soft uwu for something like Urshifu-R, but honestly just stick to Worm or Hoodra until we get Ferrothorn back. It also lost Moonblast btw
    • Psychic gets Scald :slowbro: / :slowking: (has Chilly Reception btw), a good rocker in :jirachi:, and uhh Vacuum Wave on a lot of Pokemon (:gardevoir: and :braviary-hisui:, notably). :mew: gets Knock Off, Scald, and Poltergeist, but still no recovery....aside from Drain Punch and the like anyway
    • Bug Knock Off :lokix: lets it use a better move over throat chop (though its anti-Skeledirge properties would be missed), :scizor: with Knock Off also means its not useless vs Gholdengo now and has Dual Wingbeat which lets it 1v1 Toxapex to improve the Poison matchup. :vikavolt:....could do webs, but there's not really much.
DLC1 seems to be shaping up to be an interesting meta, I hope we all have fun when it drops! :blobnom:

Last edited:
Placeholder post for TTK type updates chart. Will delete once info has been uploaded.

Returning Pokémon: :piloswine: :mamoswine: :ninetales-alola: :sandslash-alola:

Noteworthy changes:
- Knock Off :weavile: :cetitan:
- Scale Shot :baxcalibur:
Returning Pokémon: :snorlax: :ambipom: :furret: :noctowl:

Noteworthy changes:
- Tidy Up :furret:
- Poltergeist :zoroark-hisui:
- Toxic :dudunsparce:
- Knock Off :meloetta: :zangoose:

- Scale Shot :cyclizar:

- Smack Down: :ursaluna:

- Vacuum Wave, Moonlight, Moonblast, Smack Down, Blood Moon: Ursaluna-Bloodmoon
Returning Pokémon: :victreebel: :arbok: :weezing: :weezing-galar:
New Pokémon: Fezandipiti, Okidogi, Munkidori

Noteworthy changes:
- High Horsepower :revavroom:
- Toxic :venomoth: :iron-moth:
- Defog :weezing-galar:
- Psychic Fangs, Scale Shot, Knock Off :arbok:
Returning Pokémon: :jirachi: :chimecho:
New Pokémon: Munkidori

Noteworthy changes:
- Knock Off :mesprit: :azelf: :uxie:
- Toxic and every new TM :mew:

- Vacuum Wave :gardevoir:
Returning Pokémon: :golem: :golem-alola: :probopass: :magcargo:
New Pokémon: Cornerstone Ogerpon

Noteworthy changes:
- Knock Off :tyranitar:
- Dual Wingbeat :kleavor:

Rock

Tyranitar + Knock Off
Returning Pokémon: :empoleon: :probopass: :sandslash-alola: :jirachI:

Noteworthy changes:
- Roost, Flip Turn :empoleon:
- Knock Off, Dual Wingbeat, Bug Bite :scizor:
- Knock Off :goodra-hisui:

Last edited:

Pengairxan

D_RUNNIN
is a Pre-Contributor
Since we are talking about the new and returning stuff I'll drop my hat in the ring. As a Poison nut I'll stick to my lane.
Most of the returning stuff as you can probably guess isn't that great but I'm guessing they'll probably see some use in tier shift or to have fun messing around with like Scale Shot/Coil Arbok.

Except for Galarian Weezing, oh boy I did not realize how much of a banger this one was. Poison player's rejoice, we have hazard removal that is only blocked by Ghold instead of every Steel type. This thing is also just solid since the standard hazard Garchomp can't do anything, and it can do well against stuff like Baxcalibur, Dragon Dance Dragapult, Chien-Pao, Great Tusk and even Urshifu-Rapid-Strike with Will-o-wisp for most and being able to threaten with powerful Strange Steams which will hurt.

Also Skuntank got Knock off now so that combined with Sucker punch will at least be a decent boost for it even if it won't be taking that top spot back from AMuk anytime soon, same goes for Toxicroak so expect me to try and run Croa on the ladder again and fail horribly.

New Pokemon which um, aren't that great overall.

Okidogi
This is the best of the new Poison legends, has a solid gameplan backed by Incredible physical bulk and a great attack stat which it can abuse with Body press, Drain punch and Close combat for STAB with Bulk up to boost both of its amazing traits even further, High Horse Power to hit Poison types, Psychic fangs to mess up opposing Fighting types and the big one, Knock off which hits hard against Ghosts and make natural progress. It does sadly come with the downsides of only decent coverage elsewhere with the elemental punches and a base 80 speed it can do nothing about (Vacumm wave of base 58 special attack is garbage) and its base HP and special defense 88 and 86 respectively will give it some trouble but those can be outplayed with good gameplan and then triumphed over.

Munkidori
When this had its base stats revealed there was genuine excitement to what would its coverage be, than we got that coverage and that was disappointing. This thing is a Stored power sweeper or a momentum user and not much nothing else. While it special attack is great, both Gengar and Iron Moth are also on the type and with both far better coverage and Speed. Energy ball for Ground types, an Electric moves for flying, Dazzling gleam for Dragons and Darks, Psychic for the Poison Ditto with Gengar having STAB Shadow ball to rip apart Ghost/Psychic teams, Focus blast to punch a hole through Steel and Dark types and Choice specs Icy wind to remove all but the bulkiests of Landos (A rough Pokemon for Poison to deal with) While Moth makes use of STAB Fire to melt through steel teams (Except for Heatran) and Bug buzz to blitz through Psychic/Dark even if the option is niche.
Munkidori has STABless Shadow ball, Focus Blast and Grass knot so whoo.

Fezandipiti
I am confident this thing is going to be bad in a mono Poison and Mono Fairy context. Nearly anything you want this to do can be done better.
Special wall? Alolan Muk, Galarian Slowking or Clodsire are bulkier.
Setup Sweeper? Overqwil, Sneasler, Okidogi got you covered.
Fairy? Galarian Weezing has more oomph.
The Funny? Coil Scale Shot Arbok, Curse Muk or Gastly for its Ground immunity.
I'm now very glad this thing isn't Poison/Flying so that type can still be on my beloved Zubat line and not, this.

Also Leavanny is back so expect me to try and run hyper offense Sticky web Grass in the coming days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)