Modest Nature
Tera Type: Fairy
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 SpD
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere
- Surf

252+ SpA Tera Fairy Plasmanta Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Walking Wake: 338-402 (99.7 - 118.5%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 152 HP / 104 SpD Assault Vest Plasmanta: 187-222 (62.5 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Flamethrower vs. 152 HP / 104 SpD Assault Vest Plasmanta in Sun: 130-154 (43.4 - 51.5%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO

This set can always force Walking Wake out at least once with Tera, and punishes the use of Hydro Steam / Hydro Pump.

Last edited:

shnowshner

You've Gotta Try
is a Pre-Contributor
Toxapex (check)
Toxapex @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Recover
- Haze
- Infestation

252+ SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 247-292 (81.2 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This set feels me with dread and extreme prejudice towards Walking Wake and its lack of defensive counterplay. You're essentially pulling a "why didn't we QB Urshifu-Single-Strike" by using Toxapex as a scout to figure out what Wake is going for, and then switch to a more immediate answer upon discovering its set. This mon is way more of a problem in CAP because we have a legit Sun setter in Jumbao, an already great Pokemon in its own right, and this means facing a Wake under Sun is highly likely, and as a result insanely dangerous. I genuinely cannot think of a single mon that reasonably handles Wake in CAP because of how good Sun is as a playstyle here, you pretty much either need to out-offense the opposing team or make the hardest reads of your life. Pex cannot help you much with the former, but it does somewhat alleviate pressure for the latter.

:sv/jumbao:
Jumbao @ Heat Rock / Leftovers
Ability: Drought / Trace
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 40 SpA / 220 SpD
Calm Nature
- Solar Beam / Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Synthesis
- Healing Wish

I'm gonna make a pretty safe call here and nominate Jumbao as a counter to Walking Wake. You see, one of the biggest issues with Mr. Wake is that no Tapu Fini the SV OU meta, as it stands, lacks the bulky Fairies necessary to take on powerful Dragon moves. But fret not, as this here SpDef Jumbao I just cooked up has come to your aid! Jumbao not only possesses the perfect typing and stats to take on our feral friend here, but it also comes with its own fair share of utility to boot. This bad boy can provide your team with longevity with its massive Synthesis, Healing Wish to bring a weakened teammate back to full, and - of course - Drought to power up your own Walking Wake! Not to mention you also serve as a great counter to Great Tusk, Roaring Moon, Krilowatt, Arghonaut, Garchomp, Ting-Lu, Greninja, and can maybe beat Iron Valiant in a 1v1!

Now, I know what you're thinking. "Ryan, you dumbass! You just activated the opposing Walking Wake's Protosynthesis! Now what are you gonna do?" Well, that's simple. You can one of:

A) Tera Water to die to Draco Meteor tank the Flamethrower and win the 1v1
B) Pair Jumbao with a Fire-resistant teammate to take other miscellaneous Fire attacks
C) Be one of seven different people running Trace on Jumbao to not immediately succumb to Flamethrower
D) Just run Scarf and delete it immediately, it's probably a lot better than this

I should also mention that the standard Scarf set also counters Wake pretty damn hard, for similar reasons to why my SpDef heat counters it; positive type matchup, solid natural bulk, and enough power and speed to OHKO.

So yeah, I'd say Jumbao's a pretty damn good counter to Walking Wake, regardless of what set it runs.

Snaelstrom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Chilling Water
- Spiky Shield
- Stealth Rock
- Infestation

in my Opinion , Defensive snaelstrom is The easiest counter to Walking wake in the entire game short of Blissey [Which I already requested for another entry] (Just wanna clarify for the record that the moves don't even matter , It's just the set I use on my most used Stall team). Snaelstrom is able to Switch in easily against Walking Wake (as will be shown in the calcs at the end) and , While it can't threaten out Walking wake itself , It can completely prevent progress and force to waste Sun Teams' Important Sun Duration , especially if you knocked off the Heat Rock from Jumbao early into the game , so the sun duration shortens significantly.

VS Sun as a whole
To go a bit more in detail about the sun Match up in Particular from Experience (where you'll see walking wake almost always) , Snaelstrom usually serves as a barrier to Both Walking Wake itself (as Hydro Stream doesn't do Much to snaelstrom even with as strong a boost as Sun Boosted Specs Hydro Stream) and a perfect Great Tusk Counter (Just beware of knock off and find a free way to trigger your toxic orb [An example would on a double switch on Jumbao for the sun team to get sun back or a great tusk's rapid spin]). This specific Snaelstrom set also has the benefit of stalling out sun Turns better than any other Snaelstrom set thanks to Infestation (and the primary targets being either Walking Wake or Roaring moon (the latter mon this set also completely scuffs for the record)) , especially if you successfully knocked off Jumbao's Heat rock ahead of time. Snaelstrom against sun teams doesn't do Much more very sadly , since the other key mon on Sun team prior to Walking Wake's release is Specs Iron Moth (again , from experience) , who basically has negative switch ins , and It's not a great check to Jumbao.

Other overall Benefits
Snaelstrom does way more than just helping against sun teams (althought it does a fantastic job at that already) , Thanks to its deep Movepool containing every move a defensive pokemon could ever need (Recover , Liquidation , Spin , Toxic to name just a few moves that It wants to run on its defensive sets , but can't sometimes depending on the team.) , It's very reliable at handling the opposition's physical attackers in particular in order to do its job , From Spreading Passive Damage with Infestation (with this specific set from experience using it myself) to Nudering Physical set up from Threats like Bulk up Revenankh and even Roaring Moon with Chilling Water + infestation trapping them and basically removing a key part of the opposition's offense in the case of the roaring moon Match up or Wasting PP in the case of Revenankh's Moonlight to just being an annoyance to break throught for mons like Colossoil or Great Tusk. Its good special Bulk can even help it against other staples of offensive teams such as Dragapult without Tera Dragon or Gholdengo , who would both prevent rapid spin and find somewhat free opportunities. One last thing to note is Snaelstrom's Usage of Terastallization , as one of the most potent defensive/Offensive abusers of it (especially with its swords dance).

Some Calcs against sun teams:

244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Snaelstrom in Sun: 145-171 (37.5 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Snaelstrom: 315-372 (81.6 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Snaelstrom: 198-234 (51.2 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

MurderousMantyke

What sʇᴉɯᴉ⅂?
Snaelstrom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Bold Nature
- Chilling Water
- Spiky Shield
- Stealth Rock
- Infestation

in my Opinion , Defensive snaelstrom is The easiest counter to Walking wake in the entire game short of Blissey [Which I already requested for another entry] (Just wanna clarify for the record that the moves don't even matter , It's just the set I use on my most used Stall team). Snaelstrom is able to Switch in easily against Walking Wake (as will be shown in the calcs at the end) and , While it can't threaten out Walking wake itself , It can completely prevent progress and force to waste Sun Teams' Important Sun Duration , especially if you knocked off the Heat Rock from Jumbao early into the game , so the sun duration shortens significantly.

VS Sun as a whole
To go a bit more in detail about the sun Match up in Particular from Experience (where you'll see walking wake almost always) , Snaelstrom usually serves as a barrier to Both Walking Wake itself (as Hydro Stream doesn't do Much to snaelstrom even with as strong a boost as Sun Boosted Specs Hydro Stream) and a perfect Great Tusk Counter (Just beware of knock off and find a free way to trigger your toxic orb [An example would on a double switch on Jumbao for the sun team to get sun back or a great tusk's rapid spin]). This specific Snaelstrom set also has the benefit of stalling out sun Turns better than any other Snaelstrom set thanks to Infestation (and the primary targets being either Walking Wake or Roaring moon (the latter mon this set also completely scuffs for the record)) , especially if you successfully knocked off Jumbao's Heat rock ahead of time. Snaelstrom against sun teams doesn't do Much more very sadly , since the other key mon on Sun team prior to Walking Wake's release is Specs Iron Moth (again , from experience) , who basically has negative switch ins , and It's not a great check to Jumbao.

Other overall Benefits
Snaelstrom does way more than just helping against sun teams (althought it does a fantastic job at that already) , Thanks to its deep Movepool containing every move a defensive pokemon could ever need (Recover , Liquidation , Spin , Toxic to name just a few moves that It wants to run on its defensive sets , but can't sometimes depending on the team.) , It's very reliable at handling the opposition's physical attackers in particular in order to do its job , From Spreading Passive Damage with Infestation (with this specific set from experience using it myself) to Nudering Physical set up from Threats like Bulk up Revenankh and even Roaring Moon with Chilling Water + infestation trapping them and basically removing a key part of the opposition's offense in the case of the roaring moon Match up or Wasting PP in the case of Revenankh's Moonlight to just being an annoyance to break throught for mons like Colossoil or Great Tusk. Its good special Bulk can even help it against other staples of offensive teams such as Dragapult without Tera Dragon or Gholdengo , who would both prevent rapid spin and find somewhat free opportunities. One last thing to note is Snaelstrom's Usage of Terastallization , as one of the most potent defensive/Offensive abusers of it (especially with its swords dance).

Some Calcs against sun teams:

244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Snaelstrom in Sun: 145-171 (37.5 - 44.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Snaelstrom: 315-372 (81.6 - 96.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Protosynthesis Roaring Moon Crunch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Snaelstrom: 198-234 (51.2 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Personally I don't completely understand how this set is a counter to Wake when you are nearly one-tapped by Draco Meteor on the swap (with Rocks simply removing you entirely). A counter, by definition has to reliably swap in and win 1v1 which I just don't see this set doing. A specially defensive set with Toxic could definitely be argued as a check (which would worsen the Tusk/RMoon matchups but that's really not relevant to this thread). Don't want to derail but just wanted to clarify what exactly makes this a counter.

Personally I don't completely understand how this set is a counter to Wake when you are nearly one-tapped by Draco Meteor on the swap (with Rocks simply removing you entirely). A counter, by definition has to reliably swap in and win 1v1 which I just don't see this set doing. A specially defensive set with Toxic could definitely be argued as a check (which would worsen the Tusk/RMoon matchups but that's really not relevant to this thread). Don't want to derail but just wanted to clarify what exactly makes this a counter.
Again , the set itself doesn't exactly matter as I previously clarified , I picked it from experience playing a few sun teams. I'm aware draco Meteor Nearly OHKOs Physically defensive Snaelstrom , But The problem you mention (when talking about why didn't I request a defensive Toxic set) is a completely different Problem known as a "4 moveslot Syndrom" , And 4 moveslot Syndrom is a problem defensive Snaelstrom has in general. So it'd be criminal to not mention this crucial flaw of defensive snaelstrom in the overall section.

The whole logic behind why I chose this as a counter is because of what makes walking wake Ludicrous to begin with , Its spammable stab Hydro Steam and Snaelstrom's Ability , even if running Physically defensive to easily come into Sun Boosted Hydro Steam. Again , I may have been over-estimating it as a counter due to my experience against sun teams , and even then (refering to the draco meteor calc you mention from earlier) , Being able to switch into draco meteor Even if exactly once and even if living at barely any health can be a big help and not much of a massive hinderance (thanks to Snaelstrom's Poison Heal , Access to recover and Ease of healing thanks to the mentioned double switch ins needed from sun teams and other free turns). Also on Stall teams (the genre of team this set usually would fit more in) wouldn't have too much of an issue switching into Walking Wake's Draco Meteor separately from Hydro Steam (Blissey is ofc the main one , but you can also think of SpDef Equilibra as a reliable spinner and a Draco Meteor Switch in). I'm aware its more of a game to game situation counter , but since Walking Wake WANTS to click hydro steam , since it does more damage to neutral targets without the need to Switch out thanks to the special drop draco Meteor Forces , Snaelstrom has an ease to switch into the aformentioned Hydro Steam.

I'm well aware of the flaws , mainly 4MSS and the fact it can't exactly switch into draco meteor in this match up , But every counter has flaws against Walking Wake , such as being passive (this set and Clodsire for example) or the fact the reason they're counters is via wasting tera , which can either be sub-optimal or can't be used if need to tera elsewhere (The plasmanta tera fairy set from earlier in this post).

I hope that clarifies why I chose this set as a counter and also the good match up against sun teams as a whole thanks to Infestation Stalling out sun turns with ease.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
alright buddy youve forced my hand

:sv/clodsire:
Clodsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Fairy / Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

immune to hydro steam + has the special bulk to take dracos and flamethrowers under most circumstances. wake needs both specs + proto spa boost to break through; it can 2hko clod with draco if it has both of them active, but tera fairy gets you out in a pinch. you can also get 2hkod by specs + proto boosted + sun boosted flamethrower if you have any chip whatsoever, so that's what tera water is for. tera dragon or tera fire wake can also break through much easier but thankfully those are fairly uncommon. there aren't actually true counters to this mon but clod comes pretty close!

252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 434-514 (93.7 - 111%) -- 62.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (slightly lower roll factoring in leftovers)

252 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 334-396 (72.1 - 85.5%) -- not a KO

252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire in Sun: 201-237 (43.4 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I was BORN ready for this mon!

:sv/naviathan:
Naviathan @ Leftovers
Ability: Heatproof
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Slack Off
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Whirlpool / Dragon Claw / Whatever

Perhaps the only mon that has a resistance to all of Walking Wake's moves and has access to reliable recovery, I'm proposing Naviathan as a counter.
This specially defensive set is able to handle all of Walking Wake's attacks thanks to heatproof, even under sun, and slack off away the damage with some nice help from leftovers to round help out in difficult situations. Iron Defense and Body Press are nice, especially considering the kinds of mons that want to kill Nav, and Whirlpool is just sort of a "come on, do something!" move. But you can really fill those three slots with anything you want, even dragon dance or calm mind, or dragon claw to kill the wake quickly. Use whatever Tera you want, flying is just good defensively, though maybe not as necessary on an Iron Defense set. Don't tera vs wake anyway. If they decide to stay and spam you can slack off until the sun is out
If you're not as worried about tanking a Sun+Proto boosted hydro steam or flamethrower, consider paying homage to Altaria and running a defensive dragon dance set:

Naviathan @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 184 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Slack Off
- Dragon Dance
- Wave Crash
- Facade

It still tanks Walking Wake without the sun boost. After one dragon dance it outspeeds Timid unboosted Walking Wake and Iron Valliant, and it still deals a decent amount of damage to it's opponents, especially if you can setup to +2. Use whatever Tera you like, none of them will be good for helping you tank Walking Wake except tera water against tera fire Wake which doesn't exist. Tera normal also helps if the Walking Wake is actually a Zoroark.

252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Naviathan: 189-223 (46 - 54.3%) -- Not a KO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Naviathan in Sun: 175-207 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Walking Wake Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatproof Naviathan in Sun: 132-156 (32.1 - 38%) -- 40.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 184 HP / 252 SpD Naviathan: 159-188 (40.4 - 47.8%) -- Not a KO after Stealth Rock and burn damage
252 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Flamethrower vs. 184 HP / 252 SpD Naviathan: 147-174 (37.4 - 44.2%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and burn damage
252 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 184 HP / 252 SpD Naviathan: 98-116 (24.9 - 29.5%) -- 48.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and burn damage

:sv/revenankh:

Marlow (Revenankh) @ Spell Tag/Leftovers
Ability: Triage
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shadow Sneak/Taunt/Moonlight/Knck Off
- Bulk Up
- Poltergeist
- Drain Punch

A fateful encounter with a surprisingly bulky Revenankh which proceeded to tear apart my Malaconda led sun team inspired me to write this piece to put forward Rev as a check to Wake.

On paper you'd think it's incredible innate bulk allows it to quite easily tank anything Wake throws at it and then heal back up with +1prio Drain punch. I initially wanted to showcase this crazy Assault Vest Adamant Tera Fighting Rev with the same ev's I was experimenting with, which could cleanly 2hko Wake with D-punch under every conditions. But that set's got many problems of it's own (like relying solely on D-punch for recovery, needing to constantly switch out of it's myriad of checks and just being a bad set that's hard to fit in any good gen9 cap team). So I tried the popular bulk up BO set and yeah it can sorta work as a good check to wake.

However wake can still pretty comfortably 2hko mummy with Sun+Specs+Teraboosted Hydro Steam even after D-punch/leftovers recovery so the idea is to tank a hit and then cleanly 2hko with spell tag/teraboosted Poltergeist followed by a prio Drain punch. Hydro Steam is like the only move that can trouble this mummy so if your oppo misplays and gets trapped into meteor/pump, then Rev can use that situation to setup and threaten to sweep. Note that you dont necessarily have to run spell tag since terastallization alone can provide enough boost to poltergeist for this particular matchup. Spell Tag+Tera Ghost additionally serves to improve it's matchup against common checks like venomicon, manta, clod, Corv etc. Spell Tag+teraboosted poltergeist/sneak can help it take down common checks/threats under rng-favored conditions even muscle through argho/tera'llized dirge and so on. If you're not running spell tag then leftovers/Moonlight can be used to revive it during switch-ins and finally Taunt to..uh taunt people from healing or cursing or setting spikes and oh nvm it's got nothing to do with wake :]

244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 128 HP / 128+ SpD Revenankh in Sun: 284-336 (80.4 - 95.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Draco Meteor vs. 128 HP / 128+ SpD Revenankh: 229-271 (64.8 - 76.7%)

244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 128 HP / 128+ SpD Revenankh in Rain: 284-336 (80.4 - 95.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Pump vs. 128 HP / 128+ SpD Tera Ghost Revenankh in Rain: 392-462 (111 - 130.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Hydro Pump vs. 128 HP / 128+ SpD Revenankh in Rain: 294-346 (83.2 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

244 SpA Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Pump vs. 128 HP / 128+ SpD Revenankh in Rain: 260-308 (73.6 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Spell Tag Tera Ghost Revenankh Poltergeist vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Tera Water Walking Wake: 266-314 (78.4 - 92.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Spell Tag Revenankh Poltergeist vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Tera Water Walking Wake: 199-235 (58.7 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tera Ghost Revenankh Poltergeist vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Walking Wake: 222-262 (65.4 - 77.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Revenankh Poltergeist vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Tera Water Walking Wake: 166-196 (48.9 - 57.8%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Triage Revenankh Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Tera Water Walking Wake: 114-135 (33.6 - 39.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

This set gets 1hko'd by H-pump in rain right?

Yeah but that just sounds like a very specific and quite improbable situation..like not even the hardcore HO freaks will run specs+tera water combo in rain since not only H-pump isn't that good of a spammable move but also rain wont get wake his much needed speed boost. That's why I didn’t cut Atk ev's in favor of SpD.

In the end I'd have to say honestly it's probably not the best check to wake but hey still one of the few non-resist and purely offensive sets that can somehow thwart a wake sweep. Bulky Offense Revenankh has been one of the staple offense sets in gen9 CAP since the beginning of this gen and it's usage increased further after it's stereoid-abusing cousin got bannend. So why not use this to halt an embarrassing wake sweep :]

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm closing this a couple hours early as submissions have dried up and their is a very realistic chance that I may lose power later on tonight due to a winter storm in my area.

I will be treating ryangregory78's submission for Jumbao as a check, as it takes very significant damage from Flamethrower even outside of Sun if not Terastallized.

244 SpA Choice Specs Walking Wake Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 220+ SpD Jumbao: 204-242 (52.7 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Checks:
:Iron Valiant: (Brown4Sides)
:Toxapex: (shnowshner)
:Jumbao: (ryangregory78)
:Revenankh: (metagross does architectu)

Counters:
:Plasmanta: (faithviolet)
:Snaelstrom: (Waldingi)
:Clodsire: (spoo)
:Naviathan: (Brigtel)

Vote for one Check and one Counter. Voting ends Thursday, March 16th 11:59 PM GMT-4.

Last edited:
:iron valiant:

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Close Combat
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

This is what I've been running as my Walking Wake check. Booster Energy lets it outspeed Walking Wake sets that make Speed their Proto boost, and Moonblast kills it.

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Walking Wake: 342-404 (100.8 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That being said, the Speed boost is a one-time use, so be careful.
Sorry but actually iron Valiant can't be a Check if Wake Terastallizes into Water, which it definitely will to avoid the obvious KO. Valiant's SpA is pretty mid guys ain't that why it's more of a late game sweeper?
Hre are the calcs:

252 SpA Iron Valiant Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Walking Wake: 216-256 (63.7 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Walking Wake: 171-202 (50.4 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Tera Fairy Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Walking Wake: 228-270 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So Wake will comfortably tank any of these these hits and then quite easily 1hko Val at the end of the turn:
244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Fairy Iron Valiant in Sun: 570-672 (197.2 - 232.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Fairy Iron Valiant: 380-448 (131.4 - 155%) -- guaranteed OHKO

In most cases, including this matchup, Val will run +Spe natures to outspeed Wake but even if he has a +SpA nature he still won't land a guaranteed 1hko like seriously Val..
252+ SpA Quark Drive Tera Fairy Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Walking Wake: 328-386 (96.7 - 113.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO but gets outsped and 1hko'd by wake in the sun

so yeah Iron Valiant can't serve as a check to the far superior Special sweepin paradox mon!

MurderousMantyke

What sʇᴉɯᴉ⅂?
Sorry but actually iron Valiant can't be a Check if Wake Terastallizes into Water, which it definitely will to avoid the obvious KO. Valiant's SpA is pretty mid guys ain't that why it's more of a late game sweeper?
Hre are the calcs:

252 SpA Iron Valiant Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Walking Wake: 216-256 (63.7 - 75.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Walking Wake: 171-202 (50.4 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Tera Fairy Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Walking Wake: 228-270 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So Wake will comfortably tank any of these these hits and then quite easily 1hko Val at the end of the turn:
244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Fairy Iron Valiant in Sun: 570-672 (197.2 - 232.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

244 SpA Choice Specs Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Fairy Iron Valiant: 380-448 (131.4 - 155%) -- guaranteed OHKO

In most cases, including this matchup, Val will run +Spe natures to outspeed Wake but even if he has a +SpA nature he still won't land a guaranteed 1hko like seriously Val..
252+ SpA Quark Drive Tera Fairy Iron Valiant Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Water Walking Wake: 328-386 (96.7 - 113.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO but gets outsped and 1hko'd by wake in the sun

so yeah Iron Valiant can't serve as a check to the far superior Special sweepin paradox mon!
This is reliant on both Wake having its tera available and using it, as well as remaining relatively quite healthy; seems reasonable to count as a check in this case due to how most games won't go that direction.

Voting for Valiant + Clodsire.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Week 8: Colossoil

Colossoil @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Headlong Rush
- Facade
- Rapid Spin​

One of the most notable developments from CAPCL was the resurgence of Colossoil in SV CAP. Flame Orb Colossoil is a fairly solid wallbreaker in the current metagame thanks to its sky-high attack and access to powerful moves such as Headlong Rush and Facade, and thanks to Rapid Spin, it also serves as a solid late-game sweeper. Furthermore, Colossoil is a solid user of Terastallization, as it can boost its already powerful Facade to insane levels, while also being able to use its other STAB moves to deal with most of the Pokemon who resist it. All of these factors combined give Colossoil a considerable niche in a metagame filled with Ground-types, and allow it to easily win games on the spot against any unsuspecting opponents. Can anybody beach this Land Whale? Let's find out.

Submissions end Friday, March 24th 11:59 PM GMT-4

Concept Everything

Neko no Ensekan
is a Pre-Contributor
Counter
9880D834-7582-41EA-9C3B-4D1545F38E4A.gif

Tomohawk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hurricane
- Body Press
- Roost

Colo can’t deal any significant damage to Tomo at -1, it takes 70 minimum from body press and will continually take chip from rocky helmet and burn. Regardless of if they knockoff you can just body press turn one and roost x amount of turns and win.

Edited calcs in:

-1 252 Atk Colossoil Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 39-46 (9.4 - 11.1%) -- possible 9HKO

-1 252 Atk Tera Normal Colossoil Facade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 57-67 (13.7 - 16.1%) -- possible 7HKO

-1 252 Atk Guts Tera Normal Colossoil Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 169-199 (40.8 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

-1 252 Atk Guts Tera Normal Colossoil Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 169-199 (40.8 - 48%) -- 62.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Def Tomohawk Body Press vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tera Normal Colossoil: 290-344 (71.2 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after burn damage

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)