Project SV CAP - Victim of the Week - Week 14: Caribolt

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
spoo's reservation on Plasmanta has expired. He may still submit it if he chooses, but it is now back up for grabs for anybody to submit if they get to it before he can.

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
reserving plasmanta

EDIT: ok here he is
:sv/plasmanta:
Plasmanta @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb
- Surf
- Substitute/Taunt/Magnet Rise

plas takes very little from kril's electric stabs + ice beam when it invests in special bulk, and this set is a respectable offensive threat in its own right especially if you're able to proc storm drain. offensive vs defensive investment is just a tradeoff of how well you want to wallbreak vs how well you want to check pokemon like kril/venom/bao. unfortunately you aren't able to block volt switch outright but the only mons in the tier who are capable of doing that are gastro and clod so c'est la vie

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Voting Time. I have decided to treat Blissey as a Counter, as even though Waldiniji submitted it as a check, the pink blobs have a fairly long and extensive history as being known as a Counter to Krillowatt, so I feel that treating it as such would be more appropriate (I will not be doing this often, only in cases where I feel strongly about something being submitted under the wrong category will I be doing this, as I do here). This means that Brown4Sides' Roaring Moon automatically wins for Checks, as it was the only other such submission. We will only be voting on Counters.

Options:

:Gastrodon: (Amamama)
:Clodsire: (Hyper-Go-Ons) (Reminder that this is Water Absorb Clodsire)
:Blissey: (Waldinji)
:Plasmanta: (spoo)

Vote for one option. Voting ends Monday, February 13th 11:59 PM GMT-5.

Voting Time. I have decided to treat Blissey as a Counter, as even though Waldiniji submitted it as a check, the pink blobs have a fairly long and extensive history as being known as a Counter to Krillowatt, so I feel that treating it as such would be more appropriate (I will not be doing this often, only in cases where I feel strongly about something being submitted under the wrong category will I be doing this, as I do here). This means that Brown4Sides' Roaring Moon automatically wins for Checks, as it was the only other such submission. We will only be voting on Counters.

Options:

:Clodsire: (Hyper-Go-Ons) (Reminder that this is Water Absorb Clodsire)
:Blissey: (Waldinji)
:Plasmanta: (spoo)

Vote for one option. Voting ends Monday, February 13th 11:59 PM GMT-5.
Has Blissey always been seen as a counter to Krilo ? I played blissey for a while this gen with my stall teams , and everytime I faced against Krilo , It felt more like a check than a counter. It's maybe due to the Longevity aspect Krilo has thanks to Magic Guard making him particularly annoying to blissey because the thing with blissey , As I previously explained. It relies on chip damage , from hazards to seismic Toss. And since Krilo has base 151 HP (meaning it takes nothing from Seismic Toss and Has Magic Guard to be Immune to hazards) , I saw Blissey more as a longterm check , since Blissey can keep Krilo in check for a long time in most games I had the Blissey VS Krilowatt Match up. But Blissey itself is incapable of doing most of the job itself , part of why I didn't consider it a counter.

Has Blissey always been seen as a counter to Krilo ? I played blissey for a while this gen with my stall teams , and everytime I faced against Krilo , It felt more like a check than a counter. It's maybe due to the Longevity aspect Krilo has thanks to Magic Guard making him particularly annoying to blissey because the thing with blissey , As I previously explained. It relies on chip damage , from hazards to seismic Toss. And since Krilo has base 151 HP (meaning it takes nothing from Seismic Toss and Has Magic Guard to be Immune to hazards) , I saw Blissey more as a longterm check , since Blissey can keep Krilo in check for a long time in most games I had the Blissey VS Krilowatt Match up. But Blissey itself is incapable of doing most of the job itself , part of why I didn't consider it a counter.
If Krilowatt decides to be physical, Blissey will not stand a chance as it will be 2HKOed by Wild Charge if it is not physically defensive.

252 Atk Life Orb Krilowatt Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Blissey: 589-694 (82.4 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Krilowatt Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 259-305 (36.2 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
It's more just that Krillowatt isn't capable of doing anything significant long-term damage to Blissey, while on the flip side Blissey can widdle it down little by little with Seismic Toss. I do understand your logic, but it's just that it's sort of closer to a lot of the counters submitted, as opposed to something like the Roaring Moon set that Brown4Sides posted (Which can't switch in on an Ice Beam without taking significant damage, but if it gets a free switch into Krill, then it gets the oppurtunity to comfortably deal with it).

If Krilowatt decides to be physical, Blissey will not stand a chance as it will be 2HKOed by Wild Charge if it is not physically defensive.

252 Atk Life Orb Krilowatt Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Blissey: 589-694 (82.4 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Krilowatt Wild Charge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 259-305 (36.2 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Physical Krillowatt does not exist in any meaningful capacity, and even if it did we are voting on Special Krillowatt.

Last edited:
It's more just that Krillowatt isn't capable of doing anything significant long-term damage to Blissey, while on the flip side Blissey can widdle it down little by little with Seismic Toss. I do understand your logic, but it's just that it's sort of closer to a lot of the checks submitted, as opposed to something like the Roaring Moon set that Brown4Sides posted (Which can't switch in on an Ice Beam without taking significant damage, but if it gets a free switch into Krill, then it gets the oppurtunity to comfortably deal with it).

Physical Krillowatt does not exist in any meaningful capacity, and even if it did we are voting on Special Krillowatt.
I was just wondering why you disagreed strongly with the idea of blissey as a check and not a counter. Thanks for the details. I might have certain "wrong categories" again by accident because I mostly take from experience when I choose the set for "victim of the week". And as I previously mentioned , by experience , Krilo seems very annoying to blissey (as I mentioned when I was saying it's not an impossible 1V1 for Krilo to win against Blissey , since Blissey just gets chipped over and over and over again throughout a long game (which stall finds itself in mostly) and wasted the soft-boiled (unlike the other 3 Counters submitted)).

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Week 5: Gholdengo

Gholdengo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fighting / Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Make It Rain
- Trick
- Tera Blast / Focus Blast​

Today is Valentine's Day, and what better way to honor it than by playing matchmaker between Binacle Pinnacle and the answer to his arch nemesis that he's been looking for since December (That's seriously the only reason I picked Gholdengo for this week, just to make that joke).

All joking aside, while not quite as prevelant in CAP as it is in OU, Gholdengo is still quite the force to be recokened with. The combination of its typing and Good as Gold allow Gholdengo to completely block the overwhelming majority of hazard control that the tier has to offer. Furthermore, thanks to its solid offensive typing and high special attack, Gholdengo can use Choice Scarf to great effect, allowing to take on the roles as a solid revenge killer and late-game cleaner. All of these factors make Gholdengo a prominent threat in the CAP metagame that teams must prepare for, and it will be up to you guys to determine the Pokemon that do the best job at that.

Submissions end Tuesday, Februrary 21st 11:59 PM GMT-5

Last edited:

Concept Everything

Neko no Ensekan
is a Pre-Contributor
Gholdengo @ Kasib Berry
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 220 Atk / 32 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

You outspeed with +Speed Proto and can freely crunch while using tera, if they don’t tera fighting they are immediately put in range of any of your moves. Even if they Tera fighting the crunch into Outrage has a chance to knock it out while tera dragon outrage guarantees the knockout.

Counter

Pyroak @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Battle Armor
Tera Type: Fairy (See the blissey comment)
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Leech Seed
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Lava Plume

I didn't find a proper Pic of Pyroak! But That aside. I concocted this stall specific Specially defensive Pyroak ready to Counter any Gholdengo , Especially the scarf Variant mentioned here. Gholdengo's Lack of Both healing and nasty Plot means it can't damage SpDef Pyroak that much Whatsoever , plus switching into Make It Rain makes the case scenario even better for SpDef Pyroak Thanks to his Battle Armor Ability. Pyroak is able to Chip efficiently Most fellow Defensive Pokemon with the exception of itself and Pre-Poisoned Snaelstrom thanks to Leech seed and Lava Plume burn Spread is an added Positive to its Gholdengo , Roaring Moon (Thanks to tera Fairy) , Special Syclant (to name a few) Match ups and HDB Making it immune to the Hazards Gholdengo loves to protect as dearly as his wife. Here's some calcs to show the point.

252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Pyroak: 126-148 (28.3 - 33.3%) -- 0% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Pyroak: 93-111 (20.9 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO

-1 252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Pyroak: 63-74 (14.1 - 16.6%) -- possible 6HKO

0 SpA Pyroak Lava Plume vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 140-168 (44.4 - 53.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

spoo

is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
:sv/equilibra:

Equilibra @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 12 SpA / 132 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Pain Split

counter

immune to shadow ball/focus blast + takes 0 from make it rain + forces ghold out with EP + stays healthy with pain split

Last edited:
Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Level: 100
Calm Nature
Ability: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Earth Power
- Sludge Bomb
- Spikes
- Recover

Even Gastro answers this BinPin

This is a counter

252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Gastrodon: 109-129 (25.5 - 30.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and 3 layers of Spikes

You can run Covert Cloak to be extra safe.

Last edited:
1676395608603.png

Iron Moth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Timid Nature
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Fiery Dance/Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Morning Sun
- Solar Beam/Energy Ball/Toxic Spikes

Iron Moth with Morning Sun serves as a pretty consistent check to Gholdengo, able to avoid a 2hko from Shadow Ball(except for SpDef drops) against Scarf variants and threaten an OHKO in return. Against non-Scarf Gholdengo, Iron Moth can outspeed and force out Gholdengo, even if Gholdengo threatens a 2hko.

252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Moth: 123-145 (40.8 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain over 2 turns vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Moth: 153-180 (50.8 - 59.8%) -- not a KO
252 SpA Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 300-354 (95.2 - 112.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Iron Moth Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 336-396 (106.6 - 125.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:sv/arghonaut:
Arghonaut @ Covert Cloak/Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def or Atk / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off
- Recover

Arghonaut is very common in the current metagame, and is an effective counter to the vast majority of Gholdengo sets. It tanks any attacks from it thanks to it's Water/Fighting typing and very good special bulk and can throw out a somewhat powerful Knock Off to chip it down and removing that pesky item. After taking a Shadow Ball or Make it Rain, it can also use that as an opportunity to setup some Spikes or fish a Circle Throw or Knock Off on whatever pokemon switches in, so it's very good at abusing Gholdengo's presence.
Unaware means that it can actually switch into and beat Nasty Plot Gholdengo (unlike Gastrodon).
Leftovers is very useful, however Covert Cloak is safer to ensure you won't face Special Defense drops which are a particular hazard when the opposing pokemon can recover on your face (even if it's actually for Garganacl).
Terra Dark in case of emergency, mostly don't Terra vs this guy.
You want to maximize your special bulk with the EVs, these simply allow you to reach the rounding threshold from your nature, the rest can be invested wherever you want, usually in Defense but possibly in Special Defense. However, one very specific benefit of investing them in attack is that circle throw gains a high chance to break a sub from the very rare substitute terra fighting Gholdengo with Circle Throw. If it's the even rarer HP invested Terra Flying substitute Gholdengo... You got unlucky. You can still get tricked a Choice Scarf, which is quite annoying but definitely not the end of the game for Arghonaut, especially with some clever plays and predictions.
But overall this still beats a lot of Gholdengo sets that other counters cannot, it's easy to fit on a team, and can take advantage of Gholdengo bringing it in better than other counters, which is why I believe it is one of the best counters available.

0 Atk Arghonaut Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 158-188 (50.1 - 59.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Arghonaut Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 106-126 (33.6 - 40%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

40 Atk Arghonaut Circle Throw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Fighting Gholdengo: 76-91 (24.1 - 28.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO (at substitute HP)

252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Arghonaut: 99-117 (23.9 - 28.2%) -- 92.1% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Gholdengo Shadow Ball vs. -1 252 HP / 216+ SpD Arghonaut: 148-175 (35.7 - 42.2%) -- 92.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Gholdengo Make It Rain vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Tera Dark Arghonaut: 148-175 (35.7 - 42.2%) -- 92.1% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tera Fighting Gholdengo Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 216+ SpD Arghonaut: 148-175 (35.7 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Voting time. Darek's Iron Moth automatically wins for checks since it was the only submission, we will only be voting on counters.

Options:

:Roaring Moon: (Concept Everything)
:Pyroak: (Waldinji)
:Equilibra: (spoo)
:Arghonaut: (Brigtel)

Vote for one option. Voting ends Thursday, February 24th 11:59 PM GMT-5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)