Suwako-sama, how shall we drench them? (Gen 5 Rain)

Hi there! :) Shadow Lugia here (aka Gensokyo/whatever else :p on PS), with my 2nd ever RMT! o: It's a Touhou based Gen 5 rain team, just with..idk, a Touhou touch to it. o: I've had a good run with it, usually attaining a positive streak with it, particularly during tournaments. So, without further adieu, here's my Gen 5 Touhou themed team~!

Suwako Moriya (Politoed) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Ah, Politoed. This team would be nothing without her. Suwako is leading the team, with its Specs in tow. EV spread in place to allow it to hit hard while taking hits at the same time, and its moveset allows the most out of coverage. Surf, just for a powerful Specs and rain-boosted STAB attack, Ice Beam for Grass types, Focus Blast for random Steel-types, and HP Grass for the one thing that would've countered Suwako-sama: Gastrodon. The Specs get up is also to lure players into expecting classic stall Poli, instead of expecting Toxic/Perish Song, you get a wave in the face. o:

Mr. Sparkle (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hydro Pump

Rotom-W, great at taking hits, great at hitting back, great at shutting down attackers. This Rotom mixes a bit of support with offense, a fast, offensive attacking Rotom? How unusual. This Rotom, with a movepool focusing more on trying to hit hard, while also taking a few hits, is meant to attack and take chunks out of HP, while also being able to status the enemy. Breaks things like Haxorus while trying to DD, Will-O then HP Ice them to their doom.

My Hugs! (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Your master of taking hits. Ferrothorn exists to survive as long as possible, slowing your opponents down, sappin' health all day long. SR helps with pesky Flying-types like Thundurus-Therian (which kiiiinda takes this team out. :x ) TWave slows down sweepers, Leech saps health and returns it to you, while Power Whip's just there to help Leech Seed bring them down more.

Hina Kagiyama (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Surf

(Gen 2 sprite, cos it showcases who Hina is.)
"Spin, spin, spin~!" Hina/Starmie lives up to that word. Its job is to get rid of SR, which allows the main Pokemon of this team to sweep on. While it can get rid of pesky hazards, it can also do a sufficient job in hitting back. LO boosted Surf in the rain hurts, if I say so~ 25% of HP from physical Ferrothorn, if I recall correctly. While Starmie's job isn't really to be a ninja, outspeeding everything, it can support while also having the ability to hit hard.

Good Nite (Dragonite) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Waterfall

My main man, and this team's main force of strength, Dragonite makes an amazing Pokemon in rain. Dragon Dance, Leftovers and Multiscale all work hand-in-hand perfectly, Multi allowing D-nite what's basically a 2nd life, giving it a chance to set up. Dragon Dancing during this Multiscale activation period allows you to do what Dragonite does best: set up then sweep. Not only does Dragonite's natural bulk allow this to become an easy task, but Multiscale and Leftovers allows Dragonite to do this time and time again. Dragon Claw is Dragonite's main STAB move, as Outrage's locked-in side effect can be detrimental to success. Fire Punch helps with pests like Ferrothorn, securing a chance to 2HKO Physically Defensive Ferrothorn in Rain at +1. Waterfall's there to abuse the rain boost to Water moves, helping against Rock-types, a la Terrakion, and Air Balloon Heatran.

Sakuya Izayoi (Scizor) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Pursuit

Because my team needed something extra. Scizor is great in rain, receiving a better chance to live in battle due to the weakness imposed on Fire-type moves in rain. Scizor's basically backup physical strength, helping Dragonite against threats brought against it in the form of most Rock-types. SD and Scizor's natural Physical defensive stats will allow it to set up easily on Pokemon such as, say, maybe Terrakion or Tyranitar. Bullet Punch, a Life Orb, and Technician will boost the move's power to interstellar levels, allowing BP to be doing massive damage. Pursuit's there so you can attack Pokemon switching out on Scizor, e.g. Latias. Bug Bite's your other STAB move, 60 base power with Technician? Let's leave it at, it leaves scars.

Not much of a Touhou theme, as I imagined. Just 3 Pokemon with Touhou nicknames ;( But, there you have it. My Gen 5 Tourain team! (unimaginative name, pls it's 11pm...)

My original plan for this team was to use Toxicroak instead of Scizor, but I just loved the power boost Technician gave you. I was planning for Thundurus-T over Rotom-W, too, but I needed something to shut down physical attackers, considering my team doesn't take them amazingly well. Well, I hope you liked my Rate My Team! :)

Last edited:
I was expecting for Flandre Scarlet for Scizor. :O
well, a team with
Grass and Fire attacks are very dangerous for your team. Specially Charizard-Mega-Y which always have Fire Blast/Flamethrower and Solar Beam.
Ferrothorn and Scizor have 4x weakness to fire which is very bad.
You may atleast fix that by removing one of them, then replace a similar role Pokemon but takes neutral damage or resists fire. on the other hand, 3 of your Pokemon's weak against Grass, you should add more fire/ice/poison/flying coverage.

And if you're running on a bulky
Rotom-W with WoW, your EV spread should be 232 SDef / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd since Will O' Wisp halves the attack of the opposing pokemon. Here's a tip on EV spreading; Only Invest EVs on HP if your pokemon runs on Counter, Mirror Coat, or Wish. Also, Ditto, and a fully one sided defensive wall (ex. Blissey 252 HP / 252 SDef).

Anyways, I miss your presence on PS Gensokyo. o3o

Hi The Shadow Lugia,

This looks like a pretty solid rain team here. I think you main problem is the lack of a Scarfer, which makes your team a bit weak to set-up sweepers like SD Terrakion and DD Dragonite.

On Politoad, I recommend you run Hydro Pump instead of Surf. Hydro Pump, although inaccurate is much more powerful than Surf and is what makes Specs Politoad so hard to switch into. For example, Hydro Pump allows Politoad to have a 70% chance to 2HKO 232 HP/ 0 SDef Rotom-W, while Surf always fails to KO.

On Starmie, you should run a Timid Nature as this allows Starmie to outspeed Latios/Terrakion/Keldeo, as well as speed tie opposing Starmie. Although Starmie loses power, it already has Life Orb and Rain to boost its attacks, and the ability to outspeed and KO Pokemon like Terrakion and Keldeo is much more valuable. Since Politoad summons permanent Rain, you can also use Thunder instead of Thunderbolt, as Thunder as a higher power and a nice 30% chance of paralysis. I also think you should use Psyshock over Psychic. This allows to take down CM Keldeo and Terrakion in the sand more reliably.

On Dragonite, using Fire Punch doesn't make much sense since the Rain halves the Power of Fire-type moves. Instead, I think you should run Extremespeed. Extremespeed gives your team another source of priority, allowing Dragonite to KO would-be revengers like weakened Scarf Latios. I also recommend running Lum Berry, as this negates the confusion from Outrage, and allows Dragonite to set-up without fearing a Scald burn.

Since forgoing Fire Punch leaves your team a bit weak to Ferrothorn, I think you should run Superpower over Pursuit on Scizor. Superpower allows Scizor to KO Ferrothorn after a SD boost, while hitting Skamory for heavy damage. Although the ability to trap Latias/Latios is nice, Scizor can just use Bullet Punch or U-turn to maintain momentum. Ferrothorn and Starmie deal with Latias/Latios pretty well already too.

For a revenger killer, I think you should try running a Choice Scarf Rotom-W instead of a bulky attacker set. With a Choice Scarf, Rotom-W can revenge DD Dragonite (after Multiscale is broken) with HP Ice and outspeed and KO Terrakion with Hydro Pump. With 28 HP EVs, Rotom-W will always live Lucario's +2 Life Orb Extremespeed at full heath, allowing the washing machine to KO back with Hydro Pump. Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, and HP Ice are its core moves, while Trick allows Rotom-W to cripple defensive switch-ins like Blissey and Ferrothorn.

Hope this helps!

Sets:
Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 28 HP / 228 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)