Surprise sweeper rain team

This is a fairly simple rain team that actually tries to set up a sweep with Sceptile while supporting and covering it and breaking down stalls with the rest of the team. When Sceptile doesn't work it relies on using Tornadus hurricanes to tear opposing teams apart.

Kermit (Politoed)

Drizzle Leftovers
252 Hp/252 Def/4 Spa
Bold Nature

Scald
Encore
Perish Song
Protect

The Rain Summoner. I use a defensive set to provide him some longevity. Scald is the offensive move and also burns physical attackers. Encore locks sweepers into set up moves while perish song forces switches. Perish song can also be used at the end of battles on final pokemon when I'm out of checks. This is especially useful on blissey. Protect is used for scouting to make sure I don't make a mistake that causes Politoed to be KO'd.

Pixie (Celebi)

Natural Cure Leftovers
252 Hp/192 Spd/64 Spe
calm Nature

Calm Mind
Giga Drain
Recover
Baton Pass

A beastly special wall, straight up. Calm Mind boosts its defenses and his attacking power. giga drain is the attacking move, boosted by calm mind and supplies some recovery. Recover gives reliable recovery and increases longevity. Baton pass serves two purposes. The first, of course, is to pass stat boosts to the rest of the team but the other is that it allows it to escape pursuit users without damage, something that u-turn cannot do.

upload_2014-1-12_21-9-55.png

Genie (Tornadus)
Defiant Choice Specs
4 Hp/252 Spa/252 Spe
Timid Nature

Hurricane
Focus Blast
U-Turn
Heat Wave

An absolute terror of an attacker that thrives in the rain. Hurricane is the move used by far the most often. with the stab choice specs boost it is absolutely monstrous. Focus Balst catches steel and rock types on the switch and it is his best option for tyranitar. U turn is used to retain momentum. Heat wave is used to hammer ferrothorn scarmory and scissor on the switch. he also greatly benefits from baton passes from Celebi.

Swamp Thing (Swampert)
torrent Leftovers
252 Hp/252 Spd/ 4 Atk
Careful Nature

Stealth Rock
Toxic
Waterfall
Earthquake

My stealth rocker. toxic helps with stalling while earthquake and waterfall provide stab. earthquake is perferred outside of the rain while waterfall hits really hard in a storm. when not leading with politoed, this is who i usually start with to get rocks up quick.

Mach 5 (Skarmory)
Sturdy Leftovers
252 Hp/228 def/28 Spe
Impish Nature

Brave Bird
Spikes
Roost
Whirlwind

This is really your standard skarmory. Don't fix what isn't broken right? the only difference is a little extra speed to outspeed other skarmorys. Spikes rounds out hazards with stealth rock, brave bird is the attacking move. Roost provides recovery and whirlwind phazes set up sweepers and stacks up hazard damage.

upload_2014-1-12_21-51-3.png

Reptar (Sceptile)
Unburden @ Flying Gem
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Hp
Adamant Nature

Leaf Blade
Acrobatics
Swords Dance
Drain Punch

Sceptile is a pokemon with a better physical move pool but better special attack, which is unfortunate. Fortunately, his attack is far from unusable, but does require an adamant nature. However, after a swords dance, this guy is a completely monstrous physical sweeper. Acrobatics is boosted by the flying gem and then activates unburden, doubling his speed. because the doubled speed doesn't stay after a switch, its important to deal with sceptile's checks before activating unburden. Leaf blade provides stab while drain punch gives coverage and recovery. Sceptile is one of my favorite pokemon and this set lets him absolutely tear teams apart when used cautiously and correctly.

threats (in no particular order)

Hazards, as i have no rapid spinner, but because most of my pokemon have some sort of recovery its not too big a deal usually
Starmie- The rain boosts his stabs and i don't have a true counter to him
Skarmory- I dont really have a ton of moves that hit this guy hard, other than rain boosted scald and heatwave.
Priority users- the bane of sceptile as his frailty does not stand up well against it.

thanks for reading and please feel free to rate or post comments

I'd recommend you give at least one of your pokemon Ice beam since several can learn it and you have no moves supereffective to dragon, but I'm tired and can't think of much else. Nice team

Hi thenextred,

It looks like you have a pretty interesting rain-team here based on a Sceptile sweep. I think your largest problem is going to be removing Steel and Flying-types like Skarmory and Forretress blocking your Sceptile sweep.

On Politoad, I recommend that you run Toxic over Encore. Although Encore helps against set-up sweepers, Politoad already has Perish Song to force set-up sweepers out. Toxic allows Politoad to hit common switch-ins such as Latias, Jellicent, and Gastrodon on the switch and works in conjunction with Protect to stall for poison damage.

I think the largest weakness in your team is the lack of a Scarfer. Although Sceptile is insanely fast after Unburden has been activated, this means that it must use Acrobatics before it can revenge kill, and Sceptile should usually be saved as an endgame sweeper. Without a revenge killer, Volcarona can set-up a Quiver Dance on Celebi, and proceed to heavily damage the rest of your team with a combination of Fiery Dance, Giga Drain, and Bug Buzz, possibly sweeping your team once Tornadus is weakened. Therefore, I think your should run a Choice Scarf Keldeo over Swampert. Keldeo checks Volcorona with a powerful Rain-boosted Hydro Pump and can also check most Dragons with Icy Wind. Keldeo also eliminate many Steel-types with Secret Sword, helping Sceptile sweep. In addition, Celebi can pass Calm Mind boosts to Keldeo, which gives you a second win condition.

To help against Starmie and eliminate flying-types that could stop Sceptile, I suggest you run a defensive Jirachi over Skarmory with Stealth Rocks, Thunder, Psyshock, and Wish. This allows you to check Starmie and Thunderus-T as well as support your own team with Wish and Paralysis. This is especially helpful against opposing Tentacruel and also gives you a valuable flying-type resist so that Tornadus doesn't wreck your team. The EV's in the set listed below (248 HP / 220 SDef / 32 SpA / 4 Spe) prevent Jirachi from being KO'd by Analytic Life Orb Starmie while allowing Jirachi to KO Starmie after Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rocks.

Hope this helps!

Sets:
Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SDef / 32 SpA / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder
- Stealth Rock
- Psyshock
- Wish

Some test battles:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-78600922
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-78626044
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen5ou-78629122

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)