SunnyD: Gen 9 Cartridge (BSS) 6v6 Sun Team (Series 1 Banned)

SunnyD: Unleash the power of the sun!

Got Scarlet on release. Got interested in competitive. Spent days researching OU. Decided I wanted to make a team of 6 to use in 6v6 Wifi battles that adhered to the "Ranked Battle" rules. There are no 6v6 "Ranked Battle" games, only 3v3 and 4v4 doubles VGC (both chosen from a team of 6). These are the rules:
  • No duplicate held items
  • No duplicate Pokemon species
  • All Pokemon lvl 50 (can be scaled down)
  • No "Special Pokemon" (what the game refers to as Legendaries: Koraidon and Miraidon, Paradox are allowed have been banned)
Here's the Pokepast and the team breakdown below: https://pokepast.es/e22a25e590d718a4

:torkoal: :flutter mane: :roaring moon: :sandy shocks: :scream tail: :corviknight:

Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Level: 50
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Yawn

Standard Sun setter lead Torkoal, no different than the set recommended by Smogon for gen 8. (Just a note, EVs can be funny to work with at level 50. Smogon recommended 252 248 8 but low EVs jump from 4 to 12 and skip 8 at level 50 so I just went with it since it kept both numbers even. I try to keep HP odd if I can help it and Defs even.) Anyway, Torkoal is my only Spike setter, one spinner out of two hazard clearers. Works great as a physical wall and to inflict burn, but I try to use them sparingly to keep them alive so I can reset the Sun often. Yawn is one of my few force out techs so that may be something I need to add to others. Torkoal has a potential combo to sweep I'll talk about later but I mostly just use them for the sun. Terra Water for defensive utility and counterplay, though I could also just go Fire for added damage.

Flutter Mane @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Mystical Fire
- Psyshock

The OU banned star of the team! We go max speed here to ensure there's only 1 non-priority 'Mon that can outspeed us in Electric Terrain Scarf Iron Bundle and only 1 'Mon that can tie us in mirror Flutter Mane matchups. Went with Mystical Fire as the 3rd move to combo with the Sun, and also went with it as the Terra option to get extra damage and resist Fairy plus Fire type damage against other would be Flutters or others. Psyshock in the last option was less about type coverage and more about the ability to target physical Defense to break through special walls if needed. The max speed and scarf strategy leaves us lacking a bit of power without a self setup, but there is a combo to get us the best of both worlds.

Roaring Moon @ Choice Band
Terra Type: Dragon
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- U-turn

I recognized the hype behind Roaring moon when I sorted by overall stats and realized they had the lowest Sp Attack among their neighbors near the top of the list. We capitalize by going all in on power and taking advantage of the added speed and natural bulk. I went with Dragon claw over Iron Head because of the STAB bonus. It's almost like running a normal move, safe but less Super effective opportunities. I also went Terra Dragon to make the most of the neutral damage and retain our core typing resistances. I could've also gone Dark for their resists and their offensive typing is only resisted not Immune unlike Dragons vs Faries, but I thought dragon complimented the team better (could be wrong). U turn in case I wanna hit and run, compliments the others turners on the team. It hits hard and works great as a transition against what it resists (like Chi-Yu) but the speed is a little lacking compared to the faster Mon's. Overall I feel the core of these 3 so far is really solid.
EDIT: Changed the nature and EV's to match Sandy Shocks below. Now our speed becomes our highest stat to be boosted by Protosynthesis by x1.5 instead of our attack by x1.3 in addition to the x1.5 attack from Choice Band. Dumped rest of EVs into HP, odd value.

Sandy Shocks @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 36 HP / 12 Def / 208 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Sandy is the most recent inclusion. Had a lot to do with the overall defensive typing of the team and the fact that I can only use 1 of each held item, so I felt obligated to run Choice Specs. The best thing about Shocks and the reason why the EVs look so strange is the fact that you can max Speed to raise it 1 point above Special Attack by only cutting 44 EVs from SpA. This allows us to get a 1.5x Speed Boost from Protosynthesis instead of a 1.3 SpA boost while also getting a 1.5 SpA boost from Specs since the game looks at your base numbers, not Choice boosts (Showdown does at least). The remaining 44 were to get an odd numbered health and dumped the rest in Def since Sandy is our most physically defensive Choice attacker and to diversify their role from Flutter Mane who's a special attacker with high SpD. Sandy has good coverage and I went with Power Gem as the 3rd option because I thought it was best for their own typing and the team, the alternate being Steel or even Terra Blast normal. I prefer not to rely on Terra Blast for coverage but Sandy would be the best user of it and I'm open to suggestions. Last move Volt switch for more flipping. Really great having 3 special attackers on this team with the upcoming support role.
Flash Cannon instead of Power Gem. If you were to go off of Pikalytics or secondary effect, Flash Cannon currently has a 2% usage over Power Gem (both less than Terra Blast) and Power Gem has more PP but no secondary effect. I went through The Gen 9 Pokedex by Fire, Bug, Flying, Rock and Fairy Type to see how many Pokemon Steel hits for super effective vs Rock assuming Electric or Ground didn't also hit super effective (both hit Ice so I excluded it). Rock has a few advantages, namely Dragonite, Volcarona and Lokix. However, Steel hits just about any meta relavant Fairy Pokemon you can think of (Fluttermane, Grimmsnarl, Iron Valiant, etc). On top of all that, then you have Terra typing which boils down to: Steel for Terra Fairy or Rock for Terra Bug (lol). Flash Cannon wins. Lastly, I never mentioned Sandy's Terra typing because I assumed Electric before I really thought about it. Short story, Electric better than Ground. Long story, Sandy Shocks has a lot of water opponents it wants to hit with Thunderbolt but doesn't wanna get hit back with water, which favors Terra Electric. However, Sandy also wants to hit a lot of Poison, Rock and Steel Pokemon with Earth Power but not get hit with Earthquake, which favors Terra Ground. Looking at my team, Corviknight handles most of the Earth Power targets while Roaring Moon is my only water resist Pokemon and doesn't hit many for super effective. More important to hit them with Sandy Shocks, terra Electric to avoid super effective water, get rid of the other Ground weaknesses (still electric resist instead of immune), and also boost 2 attacks options - one of which is my strongest.

Scream Tail @ Leftovers
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stored Power
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Baton Pass

I wasn't sure if this set was going to work using Wish without protect, but I've tested it out and can say with confidence this is one of the better Flutter Mane checks in the game. Most checks rely on if "Flutters has Psyshock" but this set checks if "Flutter has Calm Mind + Psyshock" because without both, Scream walls and kills Flutter and then sweeps/Baton sweeps the remaining team. Even without Terraing out of Psychic, +1 Flutter can't kill Scream with a super effective Shadow Ball, which gives you time to setup on Flutter or almost any Special Attacker, using Terra if needed. Stored power is useless without at least 1 calm Mind, but after 1 its useable and after 2 it's amazing. Basically Scream needs to be aware of who they're up against, if they can sustain, and how they're going to wish pass, with or without a calm mind boost. Worst case scenario, you switch or only wish and switch. Best case scenario, you fully setup and start sweeping, come against a Dark opponent immune to Psychic, and then you Baton Pass to either Torkoal, Flutterman or Sandy with a wish if unthreatened. It may not work at higher levels of play, but its generally good and the combo piece of the team in the form of a Special wall. Only "Anything Goes" Showdown legal because of Baton Pass. I could also go with Thunder wave Protect or something else if needed but this seems to work well. EVs to get an odd numbered HP, all in on defense - no speed. Terra Fairy seemed like the best resists with the least threatening weaknesses but I'm open to changes (I also considered Normal and Water, but Psychic had to go).

Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Roost
- Defog

Serving as a physical wall and transition defogger, Corviknight rounds out our defensive type coverage against Ground, poison status among other things. Not the most exciting pick, but with the lack of hazards this team runs, it doesn't hurt to have another defogger. Also removes terrain since there are no ice spinners on the team. Spinblocked by Gholdengo, but it's a nice compliment to Torkoal and Scream Tail to deal with opponents they can't and then U-turn to get momentum into an attacker. Helmet over Leftovers because I can't have duplicate items and Helmet helps boost Corviknights offense while relying on Roost healing or Wish pass. U-turn and Iron head seemed like the most offensive complimenting moves. Iron head gets stab and potential flinching with decent typing for this meta while U-turn keeps the momentum of the remaining team. I think they should be a good compliment because of all the other U-turn users. I'm new to this level of team building, so I don't feel as confident about Corv as the others but I know Corviknight is a safe pick. Seems like they work well together, but that's why I'm here asking for feedback.
EDIT: I asked myself "What would Lord Emvee do?" and looked at his Coviknight sets. He almost exclusively runs Brave Bird Body Press for Gen 9 OU and Terra Type Fighting to change up its weaknesses and boost Body Press, so I did the same. This might be a mistake, since we lost access to U-Turn which can be good for slow or even fast transitioning to Torkoal who we need to bring in safely or anyone else. However, the damage loss is negligible and overall I felt the lack of coverage made Corviknight much too passive and unthreatening. Now, Corviknight can brawl against priority matchups and hopefully force switches which give me opportunities to manually swap to Torkoal or others. It also reinforces Scream Tail's role as a wish passer, so if I really need to get to Torkoal, I can go: Corv > Scream > Wish > Torkoal or something like that. Worst case scenario, Torkoal sets the sun and dies - no guarentees U-turn could help with that. Might be a bad move for the team, but I think it makes Corv and the team stronger. Just relies on me making better switch plays.

Before I tested it out, I saw no priority moves, few hazards and not much negative status as possible team weaknesses. After testing it out, Priority didn't feel too bad to be without, though that may change with time. What seemed to be missing to me was a lack of disruption, not enough moves to discourage setting up. That may be a symptom of playstyle though and less about the moves. Seemed like as I got more confident setting up Scream Tail, that became less of an issue. Regardless, I feel pretty good about the team overall.

What are your thoughts? What does this team need to change? Pokemon? Moves? Terra? EVs? Held items (remember: no duplicates)? How good is it? Could it be better? I'd like to hear any feedback and I'm open to suggestions.

I feel 100% certain Torkoal, Fluttermane and Roaring Moon will stay on the team. I really like Scream Tail as well, the combo seems to work. Sandy Shocks is new but I like them. I'm less confident about Corviknight but this team might not work without them - I can't gauge their value yet. Open to any changes. I also considered Great Tusk, Gholdengo, Slither Wing, Grimmsnarl and a few others. Excited to hear who you thought of.

Thanks for reading!

EDIT: Updated the Pokepast at the top. Roaring Moon had some EV changes, Sandy Shocks and Corviknight had some move changes, and Corv also had a Terra Type change and minor EV 4 dump point change. Put updates in the Descriptions, no major changes to the team yet. Still want to hear from you! Share your thoughts, please and thanks.

EDIT 2: Well, Paradox Pokemon have been banned from Series 1. I'm going to continue to work on and finish this team immortalized here as a pseudo Uber without box-art legendaries Koraidon and Miraidon. However, I'm gonna have to start working on a non-Paradox team for the cartridge game. The good news is, this team is one Pokemon and a move away from being OU legal! Imagine for that I'll replace Flutter Mane with Chi-Yu and get rid of Baton Pass on Scream Tail (was about to do that anyway). Thanks if you've been following along. I learned a lot and got some good experience in the new meta.

Replays

Last edited:
If you need disruption, I was suggested a disruptive scream tail. Encore/ Sub/ BP of T-Wave/ Dazzling Gleam. Using booster energy might help, idk though. Since you have sun and idk how they work together. You should look into it though.

If you need disruption, I was suggested a disruptive scream tail. Encore/ Sub/ BP of T-Wave/ Dazzling Gleam. Using booster energy might help, idk though. Since you have sun and idk how they work together. You should look into it though.
Thanks! Scream Tail has so many moves, I could make it do almost anything. Having it setup for the team makes sense because 3 of them are Choiced and it combos with 3 of them. Torkoal has some disruption, but if I want to add more I need disruption from either Scream Tail or Coviknight (or a Life Orb set on one of my attackers). Corviknight does know Taunt, but I'm not sure which attack move I'd take out/change up for it or If I'd take out Defog. I've never seen a Corviknight set run Taunt so I may even be looking at a Pokemon switch. Lots of decisions.

I probably should've spelled out the Sun Protosynthesis interaction (I was assuming everyone knew how it worked). Protosynthesis either gives the 1.3 Att/Def/SpA/SpD or 1.5 Speeed boost to the highest base stat when holding a Booster energy (which is consumed) or when exposed to Harsh Sunlight weather. If you have a Booster Energy while in Harsh Sunlight, it is not expended. However, once the sunlight ends the Booster is consumed to get the benefit for as long as they're in play. The ideas is that if we run Torkoal who sets Harsh Sunlight when coming into play with 'Mons who have Protosynthesis but don't use Booster energy, we get the benefit of Protosynthesis 1.3/1.5 plus whatever their held item is. For Flutter Mane it's x2 speed, Roaring moon x1.8 Attack, Sandy Shocks x1.5 SpA + x1.5 Speed, and Scream Tail x1.5 SpD + Leftovers. The combo is very good and it works, it's really just about what Protosynthesis 'Mons to run alongside Torkoal, how many and what items/moves each of them brings to the table. I could even run one more with Life Orb/Rocky Helmet/Assault Vest (Slither Wing, Brute Bonnet or Great Tusk), but defensive typing is important so it's not easy to fit 5 on a team and not have a type weakness.

I'll keep workshopping this team. Excited to hear more feedback!

O I knew sry. I meant not all 3 will get out while it's still sunny.

at least, I hope they're not dying fast enough to all get boost!
Probably should've mentioned Torkoal runs Heat Rock to increase Sun turns from 5 to 8 too. We also need ways to safely bring Torkoal back into play periodically to reset the Sun weather, which happens every time they come into play (especially if opponents are running Sand or Rain). That's one reason why Scream Tail runs Wish and Calm Mind/Baton Pass to give healing and SpD boosts to Torkoal. Also why Corviknight runs U-turn to transition into Torkoal, and a few other mons use U-Turn/Volt Switch as well but they're Choiced so there's only one chance to transition. I could maybe do more or take a different approach to this, but I've tried to address how to bring in Torkoal safely and often.

As you pointed out, I might have too many Protosynthesis 'Mons since the sun only lasts for 8 turns. However, I need to have enough options of Sun boosted attackers to put the right attacker out against the right matchup. Maybe I could use a less sun dependent wall instead of Scream Tail, however the SpD bonus they get is most important in transition. If I can leave them out long enough to calm mind, the loss of SpD can be mitigated and Leftovers are always good on a wall. Also the only one of each item clause can be pretty constraining on team building as well. It's hard for me to tell if the total numbers of slots I've dedicated to Sun vs Not dependent is working.

The team is setup somewhat in Balance style because of this. Once the Sun is active, you want hyper Offense to make the most of your Sun turns. However, once the Sun is inactive you need a way to safely bring Torkoal back into play which benefits a U-turn or even stall type of playstyle. I'm not exactly sure how to coordinate overall Balance, hyper offense, bulky offense or stall style of play into teambuilding. I also don't really care which style my team takes on as long as it works well. Maybe I'm not leaning enough into the hyper offense style of the Sun setting team. Maybe I'm a few short of Balance in favor of Stall. I understand the general idea of what I want to do but I don't really know what philosophy the team should be molding itself around. For now, I think this team most resembles Balance so that's what I'm trying to do to address how to play when the sun is up vs down. Any suggestions from experienced players on this aspect would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Turns out, weather only resets if a different type comes into play or the previous weather ends. You can't refresh Harsh Sunlight's duration while Harsh sunlight is still active, at least not with Torkoal's come into play abilltiy. Haven't tried the weather moves themselves but it imagine it's the same. Makes playing around the 8 turns allowed for weather more difficult. Still doable, but certainly having at least one 'Mon without Protosynthesis is a good thing. I might need more but for now this seems ok.

Last edited:
Have you thought about changing either sandy shocks or roaring moon out for Chi-Yu? Admittedly I have little experience using either Sandy Shocks or Roaring Moon but from my experience trying to use sun in Violet and Scarlet Chi-Yu can work very well on sun especially when paired with flutter mane, as it can throw off high powered heatwaves boosted by sun (and tera fire if you want to go overkill) that get rid of steel types that stand in the way of flutter mane whilst flutter mane with fairy STAB can help deal with fighting types that could potentially kill Chi-Yu. This is all emphasised by beads of ruin which further boosts the damage of a team that can throw off powerful special moves. whilst the SpD drop on your side shouldn't be a massive issue as Sun already relies on momentum and overwhelming your opponent with high damage at high speed at least from what i know about playing sun.

Have you thought about changing either sandy shocks or roaring moon out for Chi-Yu? Admittedly I have little experience using either Sandy Shocks or Roaring Moon but from my experience trying to use sun in Violet and Scarlet Chi-Yu can work very well on sun especially when paired with flutter mane, as it can throw off high powered heatwaves boosted by sun (and tera fire if you want to go overkill) that get rid of steel types that stand in the way of flutter mane whilst flutter mane with fairy STAB can help deal with fighting types that could potentially kill Chi-Yu. This is all emphasised by beads of ruin which further boosts the damage of a team that can throw off powerful special moves. whilst the SpD drop on your side shouldn't be a massive issue as Sun already relies on momentum and overwhelming your opponent with high damage at high speed at least from what i know about playing sun.
I have considered it, but not seriously enough to start looking at how their typing would fit into the team and such. As far as Chi-Yu for Roaring Moon: no way! Roaring Moon is actually my biggest Chi-Yu counter and only Choiced Physical attacker. By comparison, the overall Roaring Moon stats are too good and Chi-Yu has 80 useless attack, less speed and better defenses but less bulk virtue of HP.

Chi-Yu for Sandy Shocks is a possible change. I obviously like Sandy's type coverage offensively and defensively better on this team since I already have Fire and Dark types. Sandy Shocks actually has a decent matchup vs Chi-Yu too: can outspeed in Sun and has STAB super effective Earth power, but if it doesn't OHKO I assume Chi-Yu's Overheat does Sandy - close call, calculations needed. It's probably my top non-Protosynthesis special attacker aside from Gholdengo up for consideration. Once I start getting into the nitty gritty of potential replacements, Chi-Yu will not be forgotten. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, just a note Beads of Ruin apparently only affects Pokemon other than Chi-Yu, so either allies or opponents. Just to be clear this is a 6v6 singles team. I could probably use this team as is for doubles (it's legal but not optimized) or even the same Pokemon with different moves, but Chi-Yu's SpD drop shouldn't affect its user negatively outside of VGC doubles or Ditto.

Last edited:
Do you have the right Tera types on cart?
Hell no, and not looking forward to it! I haven't even beaten the game yet. I saw the Flutter Mane/Houndstone bans online a week ago and got sucked into the competitive meta research. Have only played once since I started theory building a team to participate in a perfect 6 IV ditto giveaway stream (which I got an Italian language at lvl 100 with a Destiny knot btw).

I just do raids all day since I beat it lol. I just changed a Mon to fire so can't help there. I'm a few off on dragon, and can change torkoal to water or you can have a random ghost one for free.

Pm if you have stuff to trade, or want the ghost.

sorry i only play doubles so i misunderstood. you make good arguments for using sandy shock and i have never really considered it till now. obviously in doubles beads of ruin has more use but since this is singles i can see sandy shock working over it. Chi-Yu could pair well with the disruption scream tail set mentioned above as to spread Paralysis as a second form of speed control and with that Chi-Yu's sheer offensive pressure could work over it but with the current set i concede that sandy shocks does look better. barely play singles sorry for the misunderstanding.

sorry i only play doubles so i misunderstood. you make good arguments for using sandy shock and i have never really considered it till now. obviously in doubles beads of ruin has more use but since this is singles i can see sandy shock working over it. Chi-Yu could pair well with the disruption scream tail set mentioned above as to spread Paralysis as a second form of speed control and with that Chi-Yu's sheer offensive pressure could work over it but with the current set i concede that sandy shocks does look better. barely play singles sorry for the misunderstanding.
No problem. Actually kinda glad SunnyD passed as a Doubles team at a cursory glance. Might try it out someday just to see what happens, can't imagine it's very good unless by unintended coincidence.

If I change things up, Chi-Yu could easily make it on the team. I do have Torkoal, but I rarely use them outside of setting the sun and generally do as little as possible with them before switching. It wouldn't hurt to have another fire type, though Flutter Mane does know Mystical Fire, but those are my only 2 fire moves which could be expanded.

I really suggest Chi-YU in the Sun team, you still can keep Roaring Moon in your team, Roaring Moon can use U-turn to switch in Chi-Yu to destroy most of the pokemon.
You can put them on your sun team. I just don't see myself changing enough on this team to accommodate them. I could make this Showdown OU and put Chi-Yu in it for Flutter easily, but all that's gonna require changes I'm just not willing to make right now. The rules say don't make more than 3 Pokemon changes, and although you're saying just put in Chi-Yu, the team builder in me doesn't see this as a 1 for 1 substitution. I don't even have a format to use this in anymore - it's just a random team.

With the Series 1 changes it's not legal, and it doesn't have enough Legendaries for Uber showdown. It's an awkward team stuck between formats and I've moved on. While I've learned a lot from this team, I'm taking that knowledge and building elsewhere. I may return to this another time, but I'm probably just gonna leave it as is to commemorate where I was coming from at this time. Could turn it into an Uber and/or OU team. I'm just creatively a bit drained with this setup specifically and trying to force it into another format. Most likely gonna look into the series 1 format and go from there, get a fresh look at gen 9 without all the Paradox and Ruinous Pokemon.

Yeah that works, I forgot at first that they're allowed in this format banned in S1 BSS
I could use something like this in random 6v6 games, but I was looking forward to using a real ruleset when I get around to matching with other people. From the start, I planned on saying "nope" to people who were packing Miraidon/Koraidon. Something I could play ranked with if I felt like it too. I'm pretty committed to seeing the BSS format through, and I don't wanna dismantle this team on this thread to do that. I'm leaving it mostly as is and moving on, make a new thread when it's time. Might make some minor changes, but I'm not subbing any of the Pokemon out at this point. Aside from the games I've recorded and played, it's probably not gonna see play from me in a long time if ever again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)