SV Ubers Sunny With a Chance of Masquerain (SV Uber HO, 1300 Elo)

Prikki

formerly AtomicFish
Come one, come all to a repost of my old RMT which got no traction whatsoever and has since been outdated by updates to the team, more experience when using the team, and more experience in general.
The previous RMT thread will be deleted by the time this one goes live, as there's no reason for it to stay up- this one should hopefully be superior in all ways.
Like last time, this is my first real attempt at making a team by myself, and so far it's seeming to work. Without further ado...

1675025793216.png
1675025813864.png
1675025826012.png
1675025834542.png
1675025844029.png
1675025856964.png

Build Summary

I don't think it takes much to realize this is a hyper offense team. Five powerhouses and one goober as a suicide lead.
The core is composed of Koraidon, Chi-Yu, and Slither Wing- a sample core graciously provided by Fc, with one minor change made to it that would make fit better with the remainder and Sticky Webs. The goal of the team is to have Koraidon and Slither Wing pivot between each other and any appropriate threat to keep pressure up on the opponent and give them as few turns free to set up, remove webs, or attack. Once sufficient threats against a specific member of my team are gone, as expected I pivot into that and clean up. Sun is only expected to be present for about half the game, as not every member needs it to function properly, and only occasionally require it to be present to hit a specific damage threshold.

The Team
1675025793216.png

Winged King (Koraidon) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Orichalcum Pulse
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Dragon Claw
- U-turn

The first and most important core member of the team with the purpose of threatening and forcing terastallization on opposing non-scarf Koraidon and Miraidon and pivoting out as quickly as possible with U-Turn once it sets up sun. Flare Blitz and Close Combat are there for when it needs to deal damage, but ultimately are not as strong as Chi-Yu or Slither Wing’s STAB, yet can still threaten important OHKOs on Pokemon like Iron Bundle, Iron Treads, and Flutter Mane in the rare situations it can catch them off-guard, or to act in the endgame and beat down worn teams.
1675025813864.png

Chi-Yu @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Tera Blast

Chi-Yu is the second of my core and exists as the primary wallbreaker of the team, infamously capable of 2HKO’ing max SPDEF Garganacl and Blissey in sun, but more relevantly here is able to OHKO threats like Iron Treads, Great Tusk, (a previously worn) Clodsire with sun-boosted Fire Blasts, Pelipper with Dark Pulse, and really anything else not fit for bulk. The sample team uses Timid for the additional speed, but since it can still outspeed Dragapult and anything slower after webs, Modest is chosen here for additional damage. Flamethrower and Tera Blast exist for additional reliability when Fire Blast is too overkill and coverage with tera Fighting, also enabling it to break through Ting-Lu if it chooses to Terastallize.
1675026463345.png

Slither Wing @ Choice Band
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Bug
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- First Impression
- Wild Charge

Slither Wing is the final member of the core and is my second pivot. As a much stronger user of U-Turn, it’s able to not only pivot out of situations, it’s able to leave a significant bruise on targets and leave them vulnerable to OHKOs in the future while bringing in something faster. If webs are up, it’s able to outspeed everything with a base speed lower than 130, enabling it to become a more traditional sweeper with Close Combat. Wild Charge enables it to have an additional coverage move to remain threatening in situations its other moves may remain unsuitable, as well as potentially exploiting electric terrain on top of sun.
1675026469171.png

Iron Serpent (Miraidon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Hadron Engine
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Agility
- Parabolic Charge
- Dazzling Gleam

A little birdie told me that Miraidon was good, so it only made sense to include. After some floundering around cluelessly, this set stood out as most effective. Modest for the obligatory extra damage as once its used Agility it outspeeds scarf Koraidon and Protosynthesis boosted Flutter Mane, making Timid unnecessary. 248 HP maximizes bulk and leftovers recovery while minimizing hazard damage, and 8 SPD allows it to outspeed other double dance Miraidons. Tera Fairy enables it to remove its Ground and Dragon weakness while simultaneously boosting the damage of Dazzling Gleam- both of which improve the interaction against Ting-Lu. It benefits greatly from webs enabling it to skimp out on Agilities more often.
1675026475115.png

Flutter Mane @ Life Orb
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Taunt

When posting this core, Fc stated that it’s a defensive liability, losing hard to Flutter Mane. So, I figured the best way to deal with it is one of my own. Speed tying other Flutter Manes and threatening OHKOs with Shadow Ball makes an aggressive approach with it easier, and can even guarantee a win with webs present since the drop takes place before Protosynthesis activated, making it boost SPATK instead of SPD. Additionally, if Tailwind is active it can set up on them as even Specs sets are just barely shy (98% max) of an OHKO. Taunt helps it break through more defensive opponents and block Defog or setup from the likes of Corviknight and Cyclizar, and Calm Mind helps it set up whenever it forces something out.
1675026481176.png

Masquerain @ Focus Sash
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sticky Web
- U-turn
- Whirlwind
- Tailwind

Masquerain is the team’s suicide lead, ideally using Tailwind, then Sticky Web, then dying. Whirlwind enables it to phase out opponents keen on setting up against it (Such as non-Taunt Cyclizar, Miraidon, some Koraidons) and U-Turn allows it to pivot out of an unfavorable start or one where it will be Taunted. If it does manage to get out alive after setting up webs, then it can be brought back in to pivot on Ground-type attacks, make use of its Focus Sash to Whirlwind out set up opponents, set up Tailwind again, or Intimidate things to make future interactions safer, such as enabling a healthy Flutter Mane to switch into a Headlong Rush from Jolly Heavy-Duty Boots Great Tusk. Tera Dark enables it to do nothing more than be impossible to Taunt or Parting Shot by Grimmsnarl.

Import

Questions I Need Answered
As mentioned before, this is my first foray into teambuilding, so naturally I have a few questions that need answered, some more for actual good reasons and some just for personal satisfaction and to further customize the team to my liking. Please answer as many of them as possible in as much detail as you can get into; I'd appreciate any input. They are as follows:

What should I do if I believe my opponent will start with Glimmora? Grimmsnarl? Iron Treads or Great Tusk?

Is there something I could replace Flutter Mane with? (I personally dislike it)

What general tips exist for the team, whether it be teambuilding or gameplay?

Does the team need webs or can it benefit more from rocks and spikes?

How was the quality of this RMT thread? How could I improve the format in the future?​

Last edited:
Hello! This is a pretty neat team! I’m usually not the best at building myself, but I really like building sun teams like this, so I thought I’d give improving this team a shot!

I wanted to keep the original spirit of the team, sun with Masquerain webs. So, here are the changes I made.

:koraidon:

Tera Fire > Tera Fighting

This one is pretty straightforward. Tera Fire powers up Flare Blitz while also making Koraidon resistant to Fairy-type attacks, which normally delete it (unless it’s Scream Tail’s Dazzling Gleam).

:chi-yu:

Tera Fire > Tera Fighting
Overheat > Tera Blast
Psychic > Fire Blast

Overheat is Chi-Yu’s strongest attack against basically any Pokémon, save for a few exceptions like Toxapex. This even applies to Ting-Lu, where Tera Fire Chi-Yu’s Overheat actually does more damage than Tera Fighting Tera Blast:

Tera Fire Overheat:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Beads of Ruin Tera Fire Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 398-470 (77.4 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Tera Fighting Tera Blast:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Beads of Ruin Tera Fighting Chi-Yu Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 368-434 (71.5 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Flamethrower is a slightly less nuclear, but still nuclear and more reliable move that still gets the 2HKO on Ting-Lu.

And a reminder that these same, very spammable Fire-type moves get powered up by sun set by your Koraidon, turning them into comically powerful delete buttons.

Another advantage of Tera Fire is that it makes Chi-Yu resistant to Fairy-type attacks, as opposed to Tera Fighting making it weak to them. I noticed your team has a general weakness to Fairy-types, in part due to none of your Pokémon bearing a resistance to them, Terastallized or not. While it isn’t a foolproof solution, making some Tera types resistant to Fairy can help the team out in that regard.

Tera Fire also frees up a move slot, and here I put Psychic. This allows Chi-Yu to hit Dachsbun, an otherwise great counter to Chi-Yu, as well as OHKOing Toxapex.

:iron treads: >:slither wing:

Going more in depth with trying to patch the Fairy weakness, I replaced Slither Wing with the ridiculously role-compressed wheel Donphan. Along with Fairy, this team is decently weak to hazards, and gets completely bullied by setup Miraidon and decently bullied by all other Miraidon. Iron Treads beats all setup Miraidon, and provides a stopgap vs. all others.

The set I recommend is this:

:iron treads:
Iron Treads @ Assault Vest
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Volt Switch

This set acts as offensive utility. Earthquake and Iron Head are the STAB moves, and Spin fulfills the same utility as before, and Volt Switch helps generate momentum. Sure, it's not as flashy as, say, Banded Slither Wing spamming U-turn, but since this set is supposed to act as offensive utility, it doesn't need to be.

Iron Head is a strong secondary attacking option that kills Tera Fairy Miraidon, and natural Fairies like Flutter Mane and Iron Valiant with webs up.

In a pinch, you can Tera Water to resist Miraidon’s Overheat, though I wouldn’t advise it as you lose the Fairy-resisting Steel type.

:flutter mane:

Tera Normal > Tera Fairy
Mystical Fire > Taunt
Psyshock > Calm Mind

In order to ease potential Flutter Mane mirror matchups, lots of Flutter Mane run Tera Normal, and that’s what I did here. For the most part, it’s self-explanatory.

I don’t love Calm Mind here because the team already has a good Calm Mind sweeper in Miraidon, and it’s pretty hard for Flutter Mane to set up Calm Minds due to its bad HP stat. As for Taunt, most Cyclizar run Choice Scarf so they can usually Shed Tail safely. However, if either webs or sun are up, Flutter Mane outspeeds even Scarf Cyclizar and can KO it before it can Shed Tail. As for Corviknight, currently half of your team threatens Corviknight with a KO, but on the off chance that Corviknight safely comes in on Flutter Mane, you would love a more direct approach with Mystical Fire, which always 2HKOes any Corviknight. Remember that Corviknight has a really difficult time with your team as is, AND Mystical Fire can get strengthened by sun. Plus, Mystical Fire can put away Iron Treads, and Psyshock can put away Clodsire, two perfect counters to setup Miraidon.

Is there something I could replace Flutter Mane with? (I personally dislike it)
As for answering this question, Flutter Mane is a great Pokémon to have on a sun team, as it checks opposing Ghost-types, the two dragons Koraidon and Miraidon, defensive Great Tusk, and physical walls like Scream Tail and Dondozo. In return, Flutter Mane loves Koraidon murdering opposing Dark-types and specially defensive Steel-types, as well as activating Protosynthesis via Orichalcum Pulse. Plus, it can spinblock and check the common spinners, Tusk and Treads. For that reason, it’s pretty valuable on any sun team, and this one is no different.

So, those are all the changes I made! Let me know what you think of them, and have a nice day!

Modified Paste

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)