Metagame Sun and Moon LC Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can they not give us a shitty houndour and seel? Torchic and Snivy are two starters that see ample competitive use but only because of their abilities. I'm assuming the abilities and the BST won't change, but unique typing could actually see some use. Grass-Flying sounds cool but basically everything has access to an Ice-type move.

sam-testings

What a beautiful face, I have found in this place
Im actually getting the Purrloin vibe from Litten, and with prankster and considering most fire types get will o wisp that could be huge. It could possibly be a pretty annoying mon that could threaten a lot of offence.

Im actually getting the Purrloin vibe from Litten, and with prankster and considering most fire types get will o wisp that could be huge. It could possibly be a pretty annoying mon that could threaten a lot of offence.
I fel tsimilarly about Litten, but I quickly became skeptical that even gamefreak would make a starter Pokemon so very similar in both aesthetics and capabilities to an existing Pokemon. While I don't doubt that Litten will be fast and will have a decent movepool (within the regular bounds of its typing, of course), I don't see Prankster or abilities otherwise denoting of mischief on it, for the above reasoning AND due to its noticeable expression and vibe of apathy

That's just my 2¢, though. Take it how you may.

Litten might be interesting. It seems like a Fire-Dark type, but anything (other than Fire-Bug and stuff) seems reasonable. It'll probably be a good special sweeper.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Litten might be interesting. It seems like a Fire-Dark type, but anything (other than Fire-Bug and stuff) seems reasonable. It'll probably be a good special sweeper.
Personally, I see the Litten line being the Speed-based starter, so it could potentially have sweeping potential, but I feel like they might take a support approach to it. On that note, I also see Rowlet being the Defensive starter, which leaves Popplio as the Offensive starter.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
REVIVAL bc more news

Nekkoala is Normal with Definite Sleep

normal type is boring but

DEFINITE SLEEP IS A GAMECHANGER (blocks status unless it's sleep)
FUCK YO STATUS
MOVE OVER NATURAL CURE

(unless Spore / Missed-no you aint hittin me-sis / who uses Sing)

we can complain about stats later imma bask in this good ability nonsense for a lil longer.

Iwanko is Rock with Keen Eye / Vital Spirit (B-O-R-I-N-G)

CUTE DOG THO

but like being pure rock really hurts like so much like AHHH it's dicked down by a lot of shit and well we dont even know bases yet so cant pretend it's bad but typing + abilities so far it's like: fuck

one hope: HA Sturdy

Hopefully Nekkoala won't be another Farfetch'd and not get an evolution, falling into PU/NU and quickly becoming irrelevant.
On a more hopeful note, GameFreak has stopped snubbing Australia! Now we just need a poison/water type Platypus, a Kookaburra, and about 30 more snakes for the set to be complete.

That dog is probably just the Rattata clone of this generation, albeit a somewhat cuter one.

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
if nekkoala gets and evo then maybe it can be a drifloon check... then again... maybe the meta might change and drifloon won't be as prominent in the next generation

The ability is one a really like and I hope it isn't put to waste by making it a really bad mon otherwise

Nekkoala feels like it'll be really good in LC. Although LC revolves around offense, mainly, so the ability won't be as useful as it might be in other tiers. Just my two cents, I've found LC to be about offense most of the time.
Also, it's normal, right? That's a fighting weakness in LC which is never good.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Definite Sleep is a good ability. It will depend on how good Nekkoala's other things are though to see if it'll be useful. It's got some steep competition for normal types, what with Munchlax the lord of bulk, Porygon the Real Good Mon, and to a lesser extent Bunnelby the lesser nuke and Zigzagoon the setup sweeper all fulfilling important Normal-type roles. Hopefully it's a physical attacker, so that it can enjoy not worrying about burn.

TruSwagblu

Banned deucer.
Apparently the new bird Mon, "Pikipek", has skill link. Hopefully they introduce a new flying multi hit move or it gets some other multi hit moves, because all I can think of it using is fury attack, otherwise there'd be really no reason to use it over aipom or another bird unless its stats are good, which would be doubtful, it being an early route bird.

It being a woodpecker, it's safe to say that it'll get some other pecking multi hit move, if not just fury attack

Oh, also bullet seed based on its description, neat

Also, nice HP

Last edited:

doomsday doink

v̶̱̅i̵̢̕l̶̦̈́ļ̵͗a̷̙̓g̸͈͝ę̵̎ ̵̱̌g̷̭͆û̷̦a̵̰͛ȓ̶̜d̸
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Pikipek can strike 16 times a second with its beak. These strikes are powerful enough to not only drill through hard wood but even shatter stone. The noises made by their blows can signal others. Some of these signals have been identified as warning signals and greetings among allies. Pikipek Trainers have grown to recognize them as well.

These Pokémon drill holes in trees and store food in the holes. They also like small, glittering objects and will tuck them away in their food stores, too. It’s often said, "Something lost, something missed, check inside the Pikipek nest."

Pikipek will attack distant opponents by zipping seeds at them. These shots have enough strength to embed the seeds in tree trunks.

Yungoos is a big eater that is never satisfied. The majority of its long body is given over to its stomach, and its digestion is swift, so it’s always hungry. It has strong fangs, so it can crush and consume the hardest of objects.

Each Yungoos chooses its own particular route for searching out prey. It stalks along this route searching for food until it’s exhausted, at which point it drops and sleeps wherever it may be. It’s thought that these Pokémon decide their routes based on safety, so that there’s no risk in falling asleep at any time.

Yungoos is not a Pokémon that is native to the Alola region. It was brought to the region to help deal with the explosive population of a certain other Pokémon, and now Yungoos are commonly seen around the Alola region.

Some Yungoos have an Ability that no other Pokémon discovered has previously had. This Ability is known as Stakeout. With the Stakeout Ability, this Pokémon’s moves can deal twice the normal damage to any Pokémon that switch in or enter the field mid-battle.

Since this Pokémon is so common in the Alola region, it’s easy to catch one. But this Pokémon has a terrible temper when it’s hungry—and it demands a whopping amount of food.

Grubbin relies on its sturdy jaw as a weapon in battle and as a tool for burrowing through the earth. Grubbin loves electricity, which is why it can be found near power plants and substations. By wrapping tree branches in the sticky threads that it spews from its mouth, Grubbin can swing around like an actor on suspension wires!

I'm the most stoked about a bird with Skill Link Bullet Seed (which is kinda obvious from the description about spitting seeds into wood)

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
so birb better have sd or work up

also hungry ferret's ability is really cute

i wonder what it's checks will do when they come in? if it has good coverage lord have mercy people better watch out.

>23 hp rowlet

ugh sr but yay maybe bulk

that just means a lo set is kinda out of the question for now.

also wromy is going to get electroweb so it can fit in with the other worms

sadly electroweb is not enough to warrant usage.

also NO MORE NORMAL TYPES GAAAH ITS HARD FOR NORMAL TYPES NOWADAYS

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
"switch in or enter the field mid-battle"

The "switch in" is pretty obvious as to what it means, but "enter mid-battle"? Is this just another wording of "switch-in" to add fluff, or does this mean that any Pokemon which is on the field for the first turn (being eligible to use Fake Out is what I mean) takes double damage? That would add a ton of power to this thing, and would make punish switches against Volt-turn teams so hard since you just send in this thing and smash them. If this ability only works for switches in the middle of the turn, then I don't see it being very powerful of an ability for this Pokemon. It's likely going to have a somewhat low Attack stat, so it will likely rely on Stakeout to deal large amounts of damage. That will make it hard to force anything out and proc the ability. Still, I'm hyped to use this thing because it seems like such a cool idea.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I interpreted it to include Volt Switch, Baton Pass, and U-turns as well as coming in after a pokemon has fainted. I don't think it'll be great for punishing voltturn or really revenge killing anything, but I'm hoping it'll hit 17 attack (base 75 please!) which would make it decent but not great assuming it gets egg moves out the ass and learn every tm ever like furret did. I'm guessing in a meta with Drifloon and Misdreavus, the thing will be C+ viability.

I'm actually really excited for Yungoos. Although a bit reminiscent of Furret, I quite like the aesthetics and design, and Stakeout will be a blast for punishing switches. It appears to me that Yungoos will work best as a new type of trapper: one that traps its targets by threatening to obliterate an important counter to another threat rather than by actually preventing the foe from leaving.

I ran some calcs (assuming as low as a modest Base 45 Attack score) against a few prominent bulky / offensive Pokemon switching in, and this thing is scary as fuck (and virtually impossible) to try switch into if it predicts well enough (read as you're not immune to its attack). And if you've lost your item, something's dying whenever it hits the field

236+ Atk Life Orb Yungoos Return vs. 212 HP / 196+ Def Eviolite Spritzee: 18-26 (66.6 - 96.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(18, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 23, 26)

236+ Atk Life Orb Yungoos Return vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 18-26 (69.2 - 100%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

236+ Atk Life Orb Yungoos Return vs. 0 HP / 156 Def Eviolite Timburr: 18-26 (75 - 108.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

236+ Atk Life Orb Yungoos Return vs. 124 HP / 160+ Def Eviolite Foongus: 18-26 (72 - 104%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

236+ Atk Life Orb Yungoos Return vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Pawniard: 9-13 (42.8 - 61.9%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
(9, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13)

236+ Atk Life Orb Yungoos Return vs. 0 HP / 36 Def Magnemite: 16-19 (84.2 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 17, 19)

-1 236+ Atk Life Orb Yungoos Return vs. 36 HP / 196 Def Snubbull: 18-26 (78.2 - 113%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

236+ Atk Life Orb Yungoos Return vs. 116 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 18-23 (72 - 92%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 23)

I'm going to have a lot of fun with this thing, haha.

Don't forget that Stakeout doesn't just power physical moves. If it is like Furret then this mon would be incredibly difficult to switch into, considering it only takes 10 Spatt with a Life Orb to get a guaranteed OHKO on Recycle Floon with Shadow Ball. It isn't far fetched to assume it will get the elementsl fangs+ crunch either, as it has Strong Jaw. Yungoos could likely smash Ghosts pretty easily lol

Don't forget that Stakeout doesn't just power physical moves. If it is like Furret then this mon would be incredibly difficult to switch into, considering it only takes 10 Spatt with a Life Orb to get a guaranteed OHKO on Recycle Floon with Shadow Ball. It isn't far fetched to assume it will get the elementsl fangs+ crunch either, as it has Strong Jaw. Yungoos could likely smash Ghosts pretty easily lol
I remembered the damage boost was universal, but I didn't have time to crunch numbers for that spectrum. I'll be shocked if it doesn't learn the fangs, but my comment about immunity simply referred to the fact that Yungoos is always going to be running Normal-Typed attacks, so if you predict right you can switch in on it successfully with a ghost.

The mind games with this thing are going to be unreal at times, though, and as a player who incorporates a large of deal of psychological aspects into his play, I absolutely love it.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
So we don't know what the IVs and EVs on Rowlet were in the battle screen, but if we assume 0 EVs then it's probably got around 70 base HP. However this does confirm that it'll have more than 32 base HP at least, and less than 90 base HP.

Yungoos is almost 100% going to have at least bite. Honestly the most important thing for it is speed, since Stakeout would make up for low base attacking stats.

Pikipek:

Aww, I like this guy. Skill Link is very interesting, though I'm going to be pessimistic here and assume it won't get a multi-turn flying move, and that it's just for Fury Attack and Bullet Seed (I doubt it will get Rock Blast lol).

Fury Attack has always reminded me of a woodpecker anyway, especially the animation in-game, it's literally a beak.

I'm hoping this evolves into a flying/fighting type or something.

Yungoos:
Stakeout is a really cool ability, and route 1 normal types (Rattata, Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, Lillipup and Bunnelby) always have great/interesting coverage, so I'm hoping for Play Rough and Earthquake to make that Stakeout monstrous (crunch and the elemental fangs are basically confirmed with Strong Jaw.)

Yall are sleeping on Strong Jaw.

Also: "Yungoos is not a Pokémon that is native to the Alola region. It was brought to the region to help deal with the explosive population of a certain other Pokémon"

Wow between a Koala and a Snake (Yungoose is based off a Mongoose), Australia is really getting it's fair share this generation :D Hopefully there will be enough snakes by generation 8 to where I can make an all-snake LC team to join my monkey team and dog team...

Grubbin:

Well, this is not actually going to be at all relevant. I guess I'll hope for a good HA, since I seem to be one of the few people who like this guys design.

I suppose this things evolution will have the back, grey half of it covering it's whole body, forming a cocoon (these starting bugs are really predictable...), and it's final evo will have the grey bit almost disappeared, probably becoming something like Scolipede.

Giving Disarming Voice to Popplio seems intentional, either telling us it will be part-fairy, or tricking us into thinking it will be part-fairy.

I was hoping Rowlet wouldn't be bulky because Vullaby exists, but it does make sense.

I think that's all that was released, I might have missed something tho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)