StrangerDanger is a big gay (part 4, 5/26/08)

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
for now im swamped between work, life and starting the qdb project. however, if i get some more free time in the future i could help out with the google pagerank stuff. will show some progress soon!

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
I'll make the Google Project thread in C&C in a few hours. Thanks again for everyone's support.

I still need some guidance on how to implement items, however. Lets ignore the specifics of categories for now. Should each category have it's own page? Some have advocated a single page and I've always had in my head that we'd use multiple pages. One page surely simplifies a lot of things, like how we handle R/B...

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd rather have it on one page, mostly to make it easier to use ctrl+f (apple+f or whatever it is for mac weirdos).

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have an illness (probably some sort of gut autoimmune disease) and exams and final projects to deal with at the moment, but I'll see if I can work on the articles after that...

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I personally like 1 page of items and giving each item a tag or couple tags, like Liechi Berry would be tagged with Berry, Attack, In Battle, and maybe something else. Then in either preferences or as a result of searching for "Attack" Liechi Berry would come up along with other items that affect or deal with attack.

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
That's too ridiculously complex. Let's take into account the most common scenarios here:

1) the user doesn't know what _exactly_ an item does, so they look up our definition of it. In this case, they will probably use the search engine for the name of the item

2) the user followed a link from a moveset.

both of these have no necessity for some elaborate "tag" system. ill be honest, the most im willing to do is give each item a single category. here is what I propose, a hybrid of the current ideas:

Category 1: Link Items: Items that have an effect in battle.
Category 2: HMs and TMs
Category 3: Non-Link Items.

Inside category 3 are multiple tables segregating items by their type, such as EV uppers, Potions, Pokeballs, etc... the advantage of this is that the user doesn't have to wait for the whole item list to load when they just want competitive items.

Alternatively, all categories could show on the same page and by default only Link Items are shown, much like NFEs are hidden by default. In preferences you can show them all, and I can add a button on page to "load other items".

durr
The first one with categories, but the second one is pretty cool too so it's not a huge preference gap.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I like chaos' alternative, it's the most intuitive way of approaching things, especially when someone comes to the site not knowing exactly what it is that they're after.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)