Sticky Web

Another Pokemon who gets Contrary, Snivy has a similar way of using Sticky Web to its advantage. With its decent base 63 Speed, it will be able to outspeed even a few Scarfers after entering battle and gaining the +1 boost to its Speed instead of the drop. It can set up with Calm Mind and then heal off the damage taken while setting up with +1 STAB Giga Drain. Also, with Contrary, Snivy is able to fire off its super powerful STAB Leaf Storm, while getting +2 Special Attack in the process, instead of -2... that is insane, and with its Speed boosted by the inverted effect of Sticky Web, it will become a fast and deadly killing machine. Unfortunately, Contrary Snivy is still not released, but this is definitely something to look out for once it becomes legal.

I just thought this would be something nice to keep in mind. ♥
Uhh, Calm Mind is affected by Contrary.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
theres also no reason to actually use calm mind when you should just be spamming leaf storm lol

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I edited it out lol I wrote that post in like 3 minutes ;;

The main points of the post are what's really relevant but thank you for correcting me. ♥

Last edited:
I've been using a lot of Sticky Web teams lately. So far I've only used Surskit and Spinarak, and surprisingly, I've found Spinarak to be far more effective at setting up Sticky Web and hassling the other team.

The set that I've been using it:

Spinarak @ Focus Sash
Ability: Insomnia
Level: 5
EVs: 196 Spd / 44 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Sticky Web
- Toxic Spikes
- Baton Pass

And it's been very effective in every match I've played with it. It plays incredibly simple:

Turn 1: use Sticky Web
Turn 2: Use a different move if they don't outspeed and OHKO you.

That's really all there is to it, this set is meant to take advantage of 3 traits that Spinarak has that Surskit does not. Those traits are:
  • Insomnia
  • Megahorn
  • Toxic Spikes
I prefer Insomnia to Swarm right now just because I've been finding a lot of sleepers on the ladder. Sleep Powder Tangela, Hypnosis Vulpix. These kind of things are showing up, and being able to set up on them is really nice. Megahorn is an amazing physical STAB, most resists don't enjoy tanking it, except for Growlithe, but it's to much dog for me anyways.

Finally, Toxic Spikes is a move I don't use a whole lot. But if you can set it up on a Tangela team, it can be quite the nuisance for them to deal with. It's mainly filler, along with Baton Pass, but it is there and can be useful!

Spinarak is so cool :toast:

On my team, I run:
Surskit @ Berry Juice
Ability: Swift Swim
Level: 5
EVs: 116 HP / 132 Def / 76 Spe / 180 SDef
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Sticky Web
- Signal Beam
- Ice Beam

It gains excellent STAB coverage with Hydro Pump and Sticky Beam, with Ice Beam for things like Gligar. I prefer it over Spinarak due to outspeeding most things, and have discovered lucky with a Spinarak was when I got in a Toxic Spikes layer.
Basically-
Use Sticky Web, Switch, or KO a sweeper
Then STAB things. Unless Ice Beam is better, then use it. (Gligar, Fletchling, Tailow, Goomy)
Unfortunate how it doesn't get abilities that work on nonweather. :(

Last edited:
copycatcat, IMO Rain Dish is vastly inferior to Swift Swim, which allows it to out-speed Swirlix even after an Unburden or Sneasel, even if you haven't mananged to get off Sticky Web (note that Surskit resists Ice). Also note that if you substitute Rain Dance for Ice Beam, Hydro Pump will end up doing more than Ice Beam in pretty much all cases: 110 x 1.5 (STAB) x 1.5 (rain) = 248 > 190 = 95 x 2.

Antar, I don't run Rain Dance because it is unusual for Surskit to survive that long, and Hydro Pump has an 80% hit chance.

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
SO... Pokebank has brought us a new Sticky Web user in the form of... Kricketot. Unfortunately this guy has disappointing stats and an even worse movepool; the one interesting thing it gets (Endeavor) is illegal with Sticky Web too.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SO... Pokebank has brought us a new Sticky Web user in the form of... Kricketot. Unfortunately this guy has disappointing stats and an even worse movepool; the one interesting thing it gets (Endeavor) is illegal with Sticky Web too.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
but seriously no...

time to spam more sewaddle tho since it's slightly fat unlike the other two plebs (yus spinarak is a pleb, surskit is halfa pleb compared to sewaddle)

Sewaddle @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat / Chlorophyll
EVs: 76 HP/ 196 Def / 196 SDef / 36 Spe
Bold or Calm Nautre
~ Sticky Web
~ Bug Buzz
~ Hidden Power [Ice]
~ Energy Ball / Air Slash / Protect / Magic Coat / Synthesis /Sunny Day

just use this instead. Bulky, options out the wazoo that it prolly wont use cause scared of fire/flying attacks (qq) I guess you could alter the EVs a bit to stick to one defensive option but i chose a more rounded distrubution since it fits my playstyle. Last moveslot is fair game use whatever you wanna use i guess. IF he's on a sunny day team be CAN double as a chloro sweeper and can run SolarBeam as grass STAB but meh 40 SpA is really MEHHHH. But gotta work with what we got amirite <3

Alright I'm going to be a huge grinch here. After seeing quite a few Sticky Web teams and trying it out myself, I would not say it's a very viable strategy. Most of the top Pokemon do not care about Sticky Web at all. Gligar, Misdreavus, Murkrow, and Yanma, to name a few, are not affected by Sticky Web, and the worst part about this is these are the Pokemon you most want to be slowed down, since they are the top threats in the metagame & very fast. In addition, Pawniard is also a very strong Pokemon right now, and I have not seen a Sticky Web team that has not gotten completely manhandled by automatically +2 Pawniard (because honestly, what the hell do you do vs that lol).

Not only that, but using Sticky Web means you're basically down 5 1/2-6 + Sticky Web, since all of the Sticky Web Pokemon suck by themselves , and Sticky Web is not too difficult to remove with Pokemon like Gligar, Archen, and Vullaby (who are all immune to Sticky Web).

Basically, Sticky Web only helps you beat Pokemon you already beat handily easier, and does not exactly help with the top threats of the metagame, while being easy to remove.

Sticky Web teams are obviously not the worst team in the world, but it seems like you would be hardpressed to make a consistent Sticky Web team in the current metagame. If you have made a Sticky Web team that you feel is particularly good, please do share and explain how it works, what sweepers you use, and all that good stuff.

:toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)