Steady Stallin' (Gen V)

This was my first attempt at a stall team, and overall has done pretty well. However, there still are some holes in this team that I need to fix so that's mainly why I'm posting it.

Team Overview
--------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tyranitar (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 88 SAtk / 168 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Superpower

~Description~
Tyranitar is my lead and he works amazing. His main job is to lay down Stealth Rocks at the beginning of the match, which he is usually able to do. Fire Blast catches many Nattorei by surprise, OHKO'ing some of them (SpD versions survive.) Forretress however does faint from it. Fire Blast also does quite a bit amount of damage on Skarmory. It's also good against Roserade leads, since my sleep would be cured by Lum Berry and the sandstorm breaks the sash. Crunch gives me STAB and the ability to handle many Ghost-types that the rest of my team is only OK at handling. Superpower is great because it gives me an easy way of handling threats like Blissey/Chansey while providing overall good coverage with Crunch.

Nattorei (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes

~Description~
This is one of the main Pokemon on my team, and part of my main core. Spikes is obvious, a stall team must have hazards and that's what it's for. Leech Seed weakens my opponent very fast while I recover health. At the same time, if they use physical attacks on me Iron Barbs kick in and damage them. Leech Seed is also my main way of recovery with this guy and staying alive in general. Gyro Ball deals a lot more damage than most people expect on sweepers. It's my main STAB moves, and helps when I get taunted. Power Whip is my other STAB when I'm taunted or already have down all my hazards. It's great against things such as Burungeru too, easily dealing over 50% damage.

Burungeru (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 196 SDef / 60 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Taunt
- Recover
- Surf
- Will-O-Wisp

~Description~
Burungeru in my opinion is one of the greatest partners to Nattorei. They cover each others weaknesses perfectly. Instead of Shadow Ball, I have a status move and taunt. Taunt is very useful in aiding the stop of Blissey, Skarmory, Rankurusu, etc. Pokemon that set up on my team are stopped cold, while they cannot heal from status condition like a Burn. I generally never find myself needing Shadow Ball, so I definitely don't miss it. WoW is also great for sweepers and is usually good for physical switch ins planning on destroying Burungeru. Recover there is to increase survivability obviously. Surf gives me STAB and a bit more power than Boiling Water has.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Fling
- Protect
- Acrobat
- Earthquake

~Description~
With the new metagame, I usually find this guy being the MVP of the team in nearly every battle. He stops Roob, Blaziken, Doryuuzu, Kojondo (Not a sweeper but easily takes hits.), and the list goes on. I prefer Toxic Orb with Poison Heal a lot more than Roost. Protect allows me to scout what moves my opponent has and what their reactions are. At the same time, I will get an additional 12% health that turn from not being attacked. Fling gets rid of Toxic Orb once I'm poisoned, and it works like Toxic. When I hit my opponent they get badly poisoned too. Acrobat is amazing with Fling. With no item, Acrobat has 170 power after STAB, more than EQ. It allows me to handle all those Fighting-types you see with ease. It's also my main attack unless EQ is better in the situation. EQ also gives me STAB, and has a great offensive type.

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Roar
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse

~Description~
This is the newest moveset I'm trying for Latias. With this variant, I'm able to set up on Pokemon that can normally dismantle my team such as Birjion. Calm Mind allows me to increase my special attack and special defense, allowing for the opening of the sweep while increasing my durability at the same time. Recover is there to obviously recover health. Dragon Pulse is STAB and hits every type for at least neutral bar Steel, which isn't that much of a threat to my team at all. Roar allows me to phaze the opponents switch ins, possibly giving me another chance to Calm Mind since they would preferably want their other Pokemon in opposed to a random switch in. Latias performs well in countering many Pokemon such as Breloom, Birijion, Manaphy, and Rankurusu.

Doryuuzu (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Throw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

~Description~
Doryuuzu goes along perfectly with this team. Firstly, he functions as a Rapid Spinner which at many times is useful so I don't get beat by other stall teams. His other use is as a revenge killer or a late game sweeper which I generally find him doing. After the opponent has been worn down by my hazards and such, he's able to easily sweep through the opponents team. I gave him an Adamant nature because I really am not concerned about Doryuuzu, especially with Gliscor on the team. Often times, I find that extra attack power very beneficial too. EQ gives STAB and is my most powerful attack. Rapid Spin gets rid of hazards. Swords Dance allows for the possibility of a sweep, and combined with Doryuuzu's speed in sandstorm makes a lethal Pokemon. Rock Slide covers many Flying types that EQ doesn't hit and gives overall good coverage.

This is a pretty solid stall team, so kudos for that, however you are going to have problems dealing with a couple of Pokemon. The first is Rankurusu, and given that you cannot guarantee the survival of Tyranitar to beat Calm Mind versions as it will die to a Focus Blast if you come in, or the fact that Crunch will not KO it, I do believe you have some issues with it. Trick Room versions will outright beat Tyranitar anyway. Another pressing issue is Calm Mind + Boil Over Manaphy. Because Manaphy is utilising Boil Over, there will be a very high chance that it could burn Nattorei, meaning Nattorei would be unable to threaten it with its STAB Power Whips. I have a couple of suggestions to fix these problems. You also have a pressing Birijion weakness.

The first would be Taunt over Toxic on Burungeru. This will allow Burungeru to break through common elements of opposing stall teams, as Taunt + Will-o-wisp will comfortably beat Blissey and Chansey. Taunt would also mean you are not complete set-up fodder for Nattorei. You could also run 60 Spe to outrun Skarmory to prevent it from Spiking as well. This will also give you the benefit of outrunning slow Metagross as well. Taunts uses don't end there; it can turn Burungeru into a last-ditch Calm Mind Manaphy or Calm Mind Rankurusu check and will prevent stuff like Swords Dance Scizor setting up too much.

The second suggestion would be Calm Mind + Roar on Latias. This will allow Latias to Calm Mind vs. other CMers such as Rankurusu, Birijion and even Manaphy, get to +6 then sweep. It is your best fale-safe against all of those weaknesses presented and definitely is a good change to consider. Your moveset would become Dragon Pulse / Calm Mind / Recover / Roar and your EV spread should stay the same.

Lastly, I definitely think you should try Swords Dance over X-Scissor on Doryuuzu and I know you lik X-Scissor, but I think SD will be really good for ending games after you have set up a tonne of Spikes. Ice Beam on Tyranitar would also work in conjuction with SD Dory as it can remove its most common counters this way.

Good team and good luck!

Thanks, those suggestions sound good. I think the Latias one will probably help the most, I never find that much use with the current moveset but that one sounds a lot more effective. The Burungeru I think I could try, I'll have to test out how Taunt does because I do use Toxic a lot and usually find myself glad I did. SD Suggestion also sounds good, I was just iffy at first because I didn't expect to really sweep a whole lot with this team, and his initial spot was just a spinner. I'll go edit my post with those suggestions.

I think this has helped a lot more than changing the sprite.

It looks like my team, but most effective sand stall teams that pawn rain are like that ^^

I would just suggest that x-scissor > rapid spin on dory, since it can hit bulky grass types and has perfect coverage with earth + rock.

And you could use a +speed nature on gliscor, so that, with the same EVs, it outspeed base 90s

but anyways, great job and keep pawning rain teams with that :D

I would like to reccomend balloon or maybe life orb on that doryuuzu, or sincr you have a problem with rankurusu i would recommend scizor instead.

Yeah, Scizor is a very good answer to your two biggest problems, Rankurusu and Virizion. I too would replace Dory with it. The Sword Dance set with Bug Bite and Bullet Punch can handle everything you need, and you can even go with Roost if you wish for much better survivability. Not to mention your team doesn't really need Rapid Spin support. Although if you do want it I'm convinced that Tentacruel is a much better bulky water than Burungeru. It can spin in Dory's place and also lay down Toxic Spikes which will help you stall much better. With Giga Drain it is also a safe check to Politoed whenever they try to switch the weather again. So I'd at least consider that as well. Although overall this is one of the best teams I've rated in a long while. It's very intelligently composed. I imagine you'll get far with it.

Rankurusu is no longer a problem. Burungeru can taunt him before he gets too many CM's up, and Latias can always come in and CM before Rank does. Latias can not only set up, but during the CM war I can roar Rank away allowing for me to sweep. Scizor won't bring much to the table, and I don't need priority, honestly. Rapid Spin is great, especially against other stall teams. Nattorei and Burungeru distaste hazards. Scizor can't really function as good of a revenge killer either. Dory is fast right off the spot, has 405 attack and if I wanted to I could set up. Scizor opens up too many holes that I fixed. I really like Burungeru and don't think I'll switch to Tenta. First of all, Burungeru has recover. Tenta's only form is Rest, so that would require a wisher on my team. Toxic Spikes aren't really necessary, I have SR + Spikes + Status. I don't think I need anymore, it will probably be a waste of space. Dory already rapid spins too. Burungeru to me is quite a bit bulkier then Tenta, and he can Taunt which takes care of Rank. Tenta can also only spread Toxic. At the same time, he brings another Ground-weak to my team. Burungeru's synergy with Nattorei is unbelievable, so I don't think I will change either of those two.

I will try Balloon on Dory, however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)