Gen 1 Starmie [GP 1/1]

[OVERVIEW]
Despite being an OU staple, Starmie struggles to find an impactful niche in Ubers outside of the lead slot. Both its offensive and defensive presence are outclassed by other Pokemon in the tier. Still, Starmie can be a serviceable lead in specific team compositions that benefit from extra paralysis. Its high Speed enables it to outpace much of the metagame and threaten damage or paralysis. Lead Starmie can inflict high damage on common early-game sleepers like Gengar and Exeggutor while also threatening freeze or paralysis on any switch-ins. Its best role is disrupting the opposing team’s sleepers by inflicting damage and status and then taking sleep for its teammates. Additionally, its bulk and recovery fares well against physical attackers such as Tauros, Snorlax, and Rhydon, provided its teammates are able to eliminate opposing special walls like Mewtwo and Chansey. Starmie fits well into team compositions that benefit an additional fast Thunder Wave user, such as compositions with Rhydon, Tauros, Dragonite, and Thunderbolt Mewtwo.

However, the roles described above can be filled by other, more reliable options. While Starmie combines paralysis threat with special offense, Pokemon such as Chansey and Exeggutor are better at spreading status, and Pokemon like Mewtwo and Slowbro are more potent special threats. Slowbro specifically is an excellent option over Starmie in any role outside of the lead. Both share the same typing, weaknesses, and access to Thunder Wave, but Slowbro's access to Amnesia allows it to better withstand Mewtwo's assualts while simultaneously threatening to sweep the opposing team. Alakazam also competes for the same role as a paralysis spreader, though both have merits. Starmie has valuable physical bulk to take on Tauros and Snorlax while also being stronger against Exeggutor and Rhydon. Alakazam, meanwhile, is better into Zapdos and Gengar, can better threaten paralyzed Chansey due to its higher Special, and can use Seismic Toss to deal consistent damage to Amnesia users. Starmie cannot threaten a Mewtwo nor Mew with anything beyond paralysis, and Starmie will crumble if Mewtwo carries Thunderbolt. Starmie also possesses no reliable tools to force paralysis past Chansey, meaning if it fails to secure a freeze, Chansey can prevent Starmie from making any progress in the game. Thus, Starmie will often fail to do more than paralyze something and take sleep. While Starmie can serve as a decent special attacker and status spreader, many teams are better supported by Pokemon that are more committed to either role.

[SET]
name: Paralysis Lead
move 1: Thunder Wave
move 2: Recover
move 3: Psychic
move 4: Blizzard

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
Starmie’s primary role on any team is to act as a fast Thunder Wave user, as the goal of a Starmie team is to spread paralysis through the opponent’s team and open endgame sweepers. Outspeeding much of the metagame, Starmie can immediately paralyze an opponent’s sleep lead and any potential switch-ins. However, the early paralysis can make it more difficult to secure sleep, so lead Starmie should be used on teams that prioritize paralysis over sleep or have a plan to push sleep past a paralyzed Chansey. Recover supports its role as a paralysis spreader and helps it take on physical attackers. Once it paralyzes the foe, Starmie will usually outspeed and be able to heal off damage.

Psychic is a guaranteed 2HKO against Gengar and is capable of an OHKO on a critical hit, making this move essential on a lead Starmie set. Gengar is one of the most common leads in the Ubers metagame, and Starmie’s primary role in the lead slot is to force Gengar off the field, giving the Starmie user the option to attack, immediately use Thunder Wave, or double switch to a sleeper and induce sleep to grab momentum. Further, Psychic is Starmie’s best option to muscle past a paralyzed Chansey, as consecutive Special drops can force a switch, allowing a chance to spread paralysis onto one of Chansey's teammates. Combined with Starmie’s significant 22.46% critical hit chance, STAB Psychic can deal significant damage to neutral targets; it will normally 3HKO Tauros and 4HKO Snorlax, and it can 2HKO both with the aid of critical hits and Special drops.

Blizzard is Starmie’s best choice for a fourth move when operating as a lead. Blizzard threatens a 3HKO on both Exeggutor and Zapdos, which are common partners to Gengar and are sometimes leads themselves. The damage on Exeggutor is especially significant, as this prevents Exeggutor from getting sleep for free, as it will take massive damage and risk freeze if it tries to fight Starmie. Blizzard also has a 38.5% chance to OHKO Dragonite, bolstered further by critical hit and freeze chances. A sleeping Starmie can attempt to wake on Dragonite using Wrap and threaten significant damage. However, unlucky wake attempts can be punished by the opposing team switching in potent threats for free, so this strategy must be used sparingly. Further, Blizzard can allow Starmie to fish for freezes in the early-game, potentially scoring a massive advantage in the opening. While Ice Beam could be considered for better freeze fishing due to higher accuracy and PP, the drop in damage is significant, as 3HKOs on Exeggutor and Zapdos are no longer guaranteed. The major drawback to freeze fishing is that it delays or prevents Starmie from spreading paralysis, which is more consistent. Since its role is primarily a paralysis spreader, Blizzard is usually chosen for the damage on the above targets.

If Starmie does not take sleep early, Thunder Wave can allow it to switch into common threats and deal paralysis back. Mew, Tauros, and Dragonite, specifically, are slower than Starmie and do not appreciate paralysis, so Starmie can often force them off the field. A healthy Starmie can be a valuable check to Tauros, preventing it from breaking open the team. Starmie must be careful of taking paralysis from Body Slam or Thunder Wave, but it can still usually fire off Thunder Wave and outspeed again, allowing it to use Recover more effectively. However, offense in Ubers is more potent than in OU, and Starmie must be wary of threats that outpace Recover &mdash Thunderbolt from Zapdos, Gengar, and Mewtwo is the most notable danger, but Swords Dance Mew can be equally threatening. Mew has a near-guaranteed 2HKO with +2 Earthquake. Once Explosion users have been cleared, Mew and Mewtwo can set up freely while Starmie cannot threaten them beyond paralysis. Once they have set up, they can easily clear through a paralyzed Starmie and win the game. Thus, Starmie is much less effective late-game, so it is greatly preferred to have it take sleep.

It is best to pair Starmie with teammates that can take advantage of the opposing team being paralyzed. As special walls like Chansey will often switch in to stop Starmie's progress, physical attackers can take advantage of the now-paralyzed Chansey and force damage onto the opposing team. Pokemon like Snorlax, Tauros, and Rhydon are able to 2HKO a paralyzed Chansey, so they are great at removing it to allow teammates to spread status onto further targets. The slow, offensive ground types, such as Rhydon and Sandslash, make natural partners to Starmie. Their Ground typing is appreciated to cover Starmie’s weakness to Thunderbolt, and Starmie’s Blizzard can weaken Exeggutor early and prevent it from walling them. Further, the opponent’s Mewtwo and Chansey often do not carry both Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, meaning one of the two will generally provide chances to gain momentum. Starmie and Rhydon together can be used to target the common Gengar + Zapdos team core; Starmie will generally force Gengar off the field early-game and paralyze the incoming Chansey, allowing Rhydon to cover the Zapdos threat and sweep late-game.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Thunderbolt is a tempting choice to replace Blizzard in order to punish Slowbro, which will frequently switch into Starmie without it. However, the loss of Blizzard makes Exeggutor extremely difficult to deal with, and also leaves Starmie toothless against Zapdos and Dragonite. Thunderbolt may also be tempting for potential Starmie mirrors, but Starmie is generally not used enough to make it worth the moveslot. Running Blizzard and Thunderbolt together simply leaves Starmie’s special offense minuscule without the benefit of STAB, and it cannot fight Gengar without Psychic.

Surf or Hydro Pump could be considered over Blizzard or Psychic to empower Starmie as a special attacker, enabling slightly better damage ranges on neutral targets and scoring OHKOs on Rock / Ground types. Unfortunately, this will again leave Starmie unable to threaten either Gengar or Exeggutor, making these moves much more trouble than they are worth.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Thunderbolt Mewtwo**: Thunderbolt is a common option on Mewtwo, and it can guarantee an OHKO on Starmie after one Amnesia. Since Thunderbolt Mewtwo does not usually mind paralysis, there is little Starmie can do to threaten it, and it has no trouble setting up Amnesia and threating Starmie’s entire team. This is a hard counter, and Starmie must avoid this matchup at all costs.

**Chansey**: Starmie struggles to progress through Chansey, and it can threaten status back. Sing variants will happily switch into Starmie and put it to sleep, putting Starmie in a difficult position to either paralyze Chansey or fish for a freeze. Non-Sing Chansey can still consistently switch into Starmie whenever it hits the field, enabling it to paralyze the Starmie and mitigate its threat all game.

**Slowbro**- Slowbro is both one of Starmie’s biggest checks and one of the most common choices instead of Starmie in the teambuilder for any position outside of the lead. Slowbro has the same typing, access to Thunder Wave, and Amnesia, which makes it simultaneously more threatening offensively and defensively. Slowbro will frequently enter the field once Starmie has revealed it lacks Thunderbolt, and it will take minimal damage doing so and set up Amnesia for free. Not only will Starmie not be able to threaten it, but it must switch to something that can force it off the field before it executes a sweep.

**Zapdos and Jolteon**: Although neither is comfortable switching into Starmie, STAB Thunderbolt from Zapdos and Jolteon is guaranteed to 2HKO Starmie and OHKOes with a critical hit. While Zapdos does take heavy damage from Blizzard, it still has a 19.53% chance to OHKO Starmie. Jolteon, although less commonly seen, is also faster than Starmie and can survive 2 non-critical attacks, making it the better check.

**Non-STAB Thunderbolt Users**: Although rare in the Ubers metagame, a stray Thunderbolt from Chansey, Lapras, or Dragonite is still a significant threat. One of the most reliable ways to dispatch a Starmie is to paralyze and threaten it with Thunderbolt. Gengar's Thunderbolt is particularly notable, as it can 2HKO Starmie and OHKO on a critical hit. Usually, Starmie's greater Speed keeps Gengar at bay, but if Starmie is paralyzed and Gengar is not, this matchup is turned to Gengar's favor. Gengar players also have the option to risk Starmie's Psychic in exchange for a chance at a Thunderbolt critical hit, but this risk is not statistically favored and is generally not a preferred option in the Ubers metagame.

**Mew**: While Mew certainly doesn’t want to take paralysis early, in certain endgame states Mew can use Starmie to set up for a sweep. Starmie cannot threaten Mew once it’s paralyzed, so it depends on another teammate removing Mew. If nothing can come in and quickly threaten or remove the paralyzed Mew, Mew can set up Swords Dance and clear Starmie’s team.

[CREDITS]
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/acetylaldehyde.621948/
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/sabelette.583793/
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/enigami.233818/
Grammar checked by:

Last edited:

Sabelette

from the river to the sea
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Couple notes:

1. I'd say in a lot of cases Starmie threatening to paralyze Mewtwo is an empty threat, since Tbolt sets obviously are not worried and Ice + Psy sets often don't mind playing a slow freeze fish game. Giving M2 a free chance to go to +4 makes it actually difficult for Mew to come in and force it out, often requiring a sacrifice to get Mew or an Explosion user in safely.

2. I think if you're using Mie in Ubers you really want to sleep sack it so Blizzard is probably mandatory to avoid getting slept for free by Exeggutor - Eggy is incredibly painful to deal with in Ubers and I think letting it get sleep nearly for free is really bad. Slowbro isn't really relevant if you manage to give up Starmie to sleep, though your opponent could just opt to paralyze and exploit it instead of putting it to sleep.

3. OOs - I dont think Light Screen or Mimic are reliable enough to drop coverage.

4. Mew, similar to Mewtwo, can execute a sweep while Starmie is busy coming in to paralyze it. In some game states it can just come in and take paralysis then end the game if there isn't an Explosion user to stop it. This is worth noting as a check IMO

Couple notes:

1. I'd say in a lot of cases Starmie threatening to paralyze Mewtwo is an empty threat, since Tbolt sets obviously are not worried and Ice + Psy sets often don't mind playing a slow freeze fish game. Giving M2 a free chance to go to +4 makes it actually difficult for Mew to come in and force it out, often requiring a sacrifice to get Mew or an Explosion user in safely.

2. I think if you're using Mie in Ubers you really want to sleep sack it so Blizzard is probably mandatory to avoid getting slept for free by Exeggutor - Eggy is incredibly painful to deal with in Ubers and I think letting it get sleep nearly for free is really bad. Slowbro isn't really relevant if you manage to give up Starmie to sleep, though your opponent could just opt to paralyze and exploit it instead of putting it to sleep.

3. OOs - I dont think Light Screen or Mimic are reliable enough to drop coverage.

4. Mew, similar to Mewtwo, can execute a sweep while Starmie is busy coming in to paralyze it. In some game states it can just come in and take paralysis then end the game if there isn't an Explosion user to stop it. This is worth noting as a check IMO
Awesome, thanks for the thoughts. Will incorporate edits later, but I have some responses.

1) If mewtwo is tbolt, I completely agree. If it IB though, I really want it paralyzed so I can pressure it before it gets to freeze. Starmie can switch in and twave it even if mew2 is already at +4 (provided it doesnt crit or high roll both attks), so I kinda think that's relevant. Maybe of a moot point considering your next point. I'll think about how to word/downplay it.

2)Yeah I totally agree, you want it to take sleep. I can clarify that. I think Blizzard is waayyy better, but I did find people would very often just go slwobro and para mie, making my life difficult. Maybe I should move tbolt to other options, or better point out the huge tradeoff.
3) Agreed, will remove.
4) Good point. I'll address that.

Sabelette

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ready, here you go, QC 1/2

Addition Removal Comment
(AC) (AH) Add Comma/Add Hyphen, (RC) (RH) Remove Comma/Remove Hyphen

make sure you remove all the footnote links too

Did some minor rewrites focusing my thoughts a bit more and incorporating Sabelette's (ty!) feedback below. Tried to focus it on Starmie doing stuff in the first couple turns then taking sleep, so I moved most of the midgame stuff to the bottom. Changing the tag to QC to get more eyes on it.

[OVERVIEW]
Despite being an OU staple, Starmie struggles to find an impactful niche in Ubers outside of the lead slot. Both its special (idt this adds any context that helps) offensive and defensive presence are outclassed by others in the tier. Still, Starmie can be a serviceable lead in specific team compositions that benefit from extra paralysis. Lead Starmie can inflict high damage on common early-game sleepers (Gengar and Exeggutor) while also threatening freeze or paralysis on any switch-ins. Its best role is disrupting the opposing team’s sleepers by inflicting damage and status and then taking sleep for its teammates. Further, its speed is quite high, enabling it to out speed much of the metagame and threaten paralysis. Starmie will fit well into team compositions that benefit from the additional paralysis, such as with Rhydon, Sandslash, Dragonite, Thunderbolt Mewtwo, and Mew[C1] . (listing all these is fine, but mew is pretty much mandatory anyway so you could drop it. Slowbro also likes para spread)

However, the roles described above can be filled by other more reliable options. While Starmie combines paralysis threat with special offense, Pokemon such as Chansey and Exeggutor are better at spreading status, and Pokemon like Mewtwo and Slowbro[C2] are more potent special threats. (you can absolutely elaborate more on how Slowbro mostly covers Mie's role but also threatens to sweep or wall Psy/Ice M2) Starmie cannot threaten a Mewtwo nor Mew with anything beyond paralysis, and Starmie will crumble if Mewtwo carries the common Thunderbolt. Starmie also contains no reliable tools to force paralysis past Chansey, meaning if it fails to secure a freeze, Chansey can prevent Starmie from making any progress in the game. Thus, Starmie will often fail to do more than paralyze something and take sleep. While Starmie can serve as a decent special attacker and status spreader, it lacks the power to have a major impact, and many teams are better supported by Pokemon that are more committed to either role.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
A fast Thunder Wave user is Starmie’s primary role on any team, as the goal of a Starmie team is to spread paralysis through the opponent’s team and open end-game sweepers[C3] . (i'd keep it, yes, you're explaining why you would wanna spread para) Out speeding much of the metagame, Starmie can immediately paralyze an opponent’s sleep lead and any potential switch-ins. However, the early paralysis can make it more difficult to secure sleep, so lead Starmie should be used on teams that prioritize paralysis higher than sleep or have a plan to push sleep past a paralyzed Chansey[C4] . (necessary and I'd actually elaborate more later on how to break para chans at the end when you discuss teammates)

Recover supports the role as a paralysis spreader. Once it paralyses (smogon uses american english so make sure these say "paralyzes") the opponent, Starmie will usually out speed and be able to heal off damage while fishing for a full-paralysis from the opponent. This combination can enable momentum switches (this is confusing because it reads more like "switching for momentum" than "flipping the game's momentum" - i'm also not sure what this has to do with momentum. I think switching in, Twaving, and waiting for a FP is actually giving the opponent a chance to grab momentum back tbh, i'd just say starmie can eventually regain its lost HP from switching in) by switching in, using Thunder Wave, then recovering to negate the switch in damage. Recover additionally makes Starmie much more difficult to KO, so many opponents will be satisfied to sleep it. Without it, Starmie is simply too easy to paralyze and bring down.

STAB-Psychic is a guaranteed 2HKO against Gengar and is capable of an OHKO on a crit, making this move essential on a lead Starmie set. Gengar is one of the most common leads in the Ubers metagame, and Starmie’s primary role in the lead slot is to force Gengar off the field and force the opponent to switch in to Starmie and take paralysis. (or double switch to Egg since Chansey is almost always the secondary sleeper on gengar teams - this should be mentioned) Further, Psychic is Starmie’s best option to muscle past a paralyzed Chansey, as consecutive special drops can force a potential switch, allowing a chance to spread paralysis onto another member of the team. Combined with Starmie’s significant 22.46% crit chance, STAB psychic can deal significant damage to neutral threats; it will normally 3 or 4HKO Tauros and Snorlax, respectively, and it can 2HKO both with the aid of crits.

Blizzard is Starmie’s best choice for a fourth move when operating as a lead. Blizzard threatens a 3HKO on both Exeggutor and Zapdos, which are common partners to Gengar and are sometimes leads in of themselves. The damage on Exeggutor is especially significant, as this prevents Exeggutor from getting sleep for free, as it will take massive damage and risk freeze if it tries to fight Starmie. Blizzard also has 38.5% chance (47.7% including critical chance (at that point may as well include freeze chance :P)) to OHKO Dragonite. A sleeping Starmie can attempt to wake on Dragonite using Wrap and threaten significant damage. Although, unlucky wake attempts can be punished by the opposing team switching in potent threats for free, so this strategy must be used sparingly. Further, Blizzard can allow Starmie to fish for freezes in the early game, potentially scoring a massive advantage at the opening. While Ice Beam could be considered for better freeze fishing due to higher accuracy and pp, the drop in damage is significant, as 3HKOs on Exeggutor and Zapdos are no longer guaranteed. The major drawback to freeze fishing, is Starmie must often choose whether to roll on the 10% freeze or take the guaranteed paralysis. Since its role is primarily a paralysis spreader, Blizzard is usually chosen for the damage on the above targets.

If Starmie does not take sleep early, Thunder Wave can allow it to switch into common threats and deal paralysis back. Mew, Tauros, and Dragonite, specifically, are slower than Starmie and do not appreciate paralysis, so Starmie can often force them off the field. Although Starmie must be careful of taking paralysis from Body Slam or Thunder Wave, it can still usually fire paralysis back and out speed again, allowing it to Recover back to health. However, the Ubers offense is more potent than the OU environment, and Starmie must be wary of threats that outpace recover – Thunderbolts from Zapdos, Gengar, and Mewtwo are most notable, but Swords Dance Mew can be equally threatening. Mew has a near guaranteed 2HKO with a +2 Earthquake. In later game states when Explosion users have been cleared, Mew and Mewtwo can set up Swords Dance or Amnesia, respectively, while Starmie cannot threaten them beyond paralysis. Once they have set up, they can easily clear through a paralyzed Starmie and win the game. Thus, Starmie is much less effective in the late game, so it is greatly preferred to have it take sleep.

It is best to pair Starmie with teammates that can take advantage of the opposing team being paralyzed, usually strong physical attackers. The slow, offensive ground types, such as Rhydon and Sandslash, make natural partners, as they can punish any special walls – Chansey – after they have been paralyzed by Starmie. Their ground typing is appreciated to cover Starmie’s weakness to Thunderbolt, and Starmie’s Blizzard can weaken Exeggutor early and prevent it from walling them. Further, the opponent’s Mewtwo and Chansey often do not carry both Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, meaning one of the two will generally be open. Starmie and Rhydon together can be used to target the common Gengar + Zapdos team core, as Starmie will general force Gengar off the field in the early game and paralyze the incoming Chansey, allowing Rhydon to cover the Zapdos threat and be an open physical sweeper in the late game.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Thunderbolt is a tempting choice to replace Blizzard in order to punish Slowbro, which will frequently switch into a Starmie without it. However, the loss of Blizzard makes Exeggutor extremely difficult to deal with, and also leaves Starmie toothless against Zapdos and Dragonite. Thunderbolt may also be tempting for potential Starmie mirrors, but Starmie is generally not used enough to make it worth the move slot. Running Blizzard and Thunderbolt together simply leaves Starmie’s special offense too miniscule without the benefit of STAB, and it will not be able to fight Gengar without Psychic.
Surf or Hydro Pump could be considered over Blizzard or Psychic to empower Starmie as a special attacker, enabling slightly better ranges on neutral targets and scoring OHKOs on rock/ground types. Unfortunately, this will again leave Starmie unable to threaten either Gengar or Exeggutor, making these moves much more trouble than they are worth.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Thunderbolt Mewtwo**: Debatably the most common Mewtwo set, it can guarantee an OHKO on Starmie after one Amnesia. Especially considering Thunderbolt Mewtwo does not mind paralysis, there is little Starmie can do to threaten it, and it has no trouble setting up Amnesia and threating Starmie’s entire team. This is a hard counter, and Starmie must avoid this matchup at all costs.

**Chansey**: Starmie struggles to progress through Chansey, and it can threaten status back. Sing variants will happily switch into Starmie and put it to sleep, putting Starmie in a difficult position to either paralyze Chansey or fish for a freeze. Non-Sing Chansey can still consistently switch into Starmie whenever it hits the field, enabling it to paralyze the Starmie and mitigate its threat all game.

**Slowbro**- Slowbro is both one of Starmie’s biggest checks and one of the most common choices instead of Starmie in the teambuilder for any position outside of the lead. Slowbro has the same typing, access to Thunder Wave, and Amnesia makes it simultaneously more threatening offensively and defensively. Slowbro will frequently enter the field once Starmie has revealed no Thunderbolt, and it will take minimal damage doing so and set up Amnesia for free. Not only will Starmie not be able to threaten it, but it must switch to something that can force it off the field before it executes a sweep.

**Zapdos and Jolteon**: Although neither is comfortable switching into Starmie, STAB Thunderbolt from either Zapdos or Jolteon is guaranteed to 2HKO Starmie or OHKO on a crit. While Zapdos does take heavy damage from Blizzard, it still has a 19.53% chance to OHKO Starmie. Jolteon, although less commonly seen, is also faster than Starmie and can survive 2 non-critical attacks, making it the better check.

**Non-STAB electric attacks**: Although rare in the Ubers metagame, stray Thunderbolts from Chansey, Lapras, or Dragonite are still significant threats. One of the most reliable ways to dispatch of a Starmie is to paralyze and threaten it with Thunderbolts. (Gengar is also a threat)

**Mew**: While Mew certainly doesn’t want to take paralysis early, in certain end-game states Mew can use an opponent’s Starmie to set up for a sweep. Starmie cannot threaten Mew once it’s paralyzed, so it depends on another teammate removing Mew. If nothing can come in and quickly threaten or remove the paralyzed Mew, Mew can set up Swords Dance and clear all of Starmie’s team.

[CREDITS]
Quality checked by:

Grammar checked by:

Last edited:
Felt like bringing this back from the dead before metagame development makes it completely outdated. Implemented a comparison to Alakazam (requested by Enigami), and I rewrote a couple of sentences to better highlight Tauros as a metagame threat (and Starmie's potential roles there). I'm not as familiar with current metagame as I was in summer.
Still waiting on QC #2.

Sabelette

Okay, this has waited long enough, I have a few comments then QC 1/1 and credit Enigami as well.

[OVERVIEW]
Despite being an OU staple, Starmie struggles to find an impactful niche in Ubers outside of the lead slot. Both its offensive and defensive presence are outclassed by others in the tier. Still, Starmie can be a serviceable lead in specific team compositions that benefit from extra paralysis. Lead Starmie can inflict high damage on common early-game sleepers (Gengar and Exeggutor) while also threatening freeze or paralysis on any switch-ins. Its best role is disrupting the opposing team’s sleepers by inflicting damage and status and then taking sleep for its teammates. Further, its speed is quite high, enabling it to out speed much of the metagame and threaten paralysis. Starmie will fit well into team compositions that benefit from the additional paralysis, such as with Rhydon, Tauros, Dragonite, and Thunderbolt Mewtwo. (It also does well into physical offense like Tauros/Lax/Rhydon so it can be a pain if you have a consistent way to remove opposing Mewtwo, such as your own Boom2, as Cake demonstrated; i'd note that it specifically has a nice niche of "scare early-game sleepers" and "beat bull/don in endgames when M2 is removed" and "scare off mew with fast twave")

However, the roles described above can be filled by other more reliable options. While Starmie combines paralysis threat with special offense, Pokemon such as Chansey and Exeggutor are better at spreading status, and Pokemon like Mewtwo and Slowbro are more potent special threats. Slowbro specifically is an excellent option over Starmie in any role outside of the lead. Both share the same typing, weaknesses, and access to Thunder Wave, but Slowbro's access to Amnesia allows it to better withstand Mewtwo's assualts while simultaneously threatening to sweep the opposing team. Alakazam also competes for the same role as a paralysis spreader, though both have merits. Starmie has valuable physical bulk to take on Tauros and Snorlax, while also being stronger against Exeggutor and Rhydon. Alakazam is better into Zapdos and Gengar, can better threaten paralyzed Chansey due to its higher special, and can also use Seismic Toss to deal consistent damage to Amnesia users. Starmie cannot threaten a Mewtwo nor Mew with anything beyond paralysis, and Starmie will crumble if Mewtwo carries the common Thunderbolt. Starmie also contains no reliable tools to force paralysis past Chansey, meaning if it fails to secure a freeze, Chansey can prevent Starmie from making any progress in the game. Thus, Starmie will often fail to do more than paralyze something and take sleep. While Starmie can serve as a decent special attacker and status spreader, it lacks the power to have a major impact, and many teams are better supported by Pokemon that are more committed to either role. (similarly would soften this just a little bit but yeah its still got flaws)

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
A fast Thunder Wave user is Starmie’s primary role on any team, as the goal of a Starmie team is to spread paralysis through the opponent’s team and open end-game sweepers. Out speeding much of the metagame, Starmie can immediately paralyze an opponent’s sleep lead and any potential switch-ins. However, the early paralysis can make it more difficult to secure sleep, so lead Starmie should be used on teams that prioritize paralysis higher than sleep or have a plan to push sleep past a paralyzed Chansey.

Recover supports the role as a paralysis spreader. Once it paralyzes the opponent, Starmie will usually out speed and be able to heal off damage while fishing for a full-paralysis from the opponent. This combination can enable a tactic of switching in to an attacker and threating paralysis, as Recover allows Starmie to remain healthy and employ this tactic throughout the game. Recover additionally makes Starmie much more difficult to KO, so many opponents will be satisfied to sleep it. Without it, Starmie is simply too easy to paralyze and bring down. Lastly, Recover is a major reason why Starmie can take sleep well; if Starmie is able to wake, it can recover back to full health and rejoin the battle. (all of this feels like too much explanation, its pretty clear what recover does. You could probably just cut this whole paragraph)

STAB-Psychic is a guaranteed 2HKO against Gengar and is capable of an OHKO on a crit, making this move essential on a lead Starmie set. Gengar is one of the most common leads in the Ubers metagame, and Starmie’s primary role in the lead slot is to force Gengar off the field and force the opponent to switch in to Starmie and take paralysis. Alternatively, the threat of Psychic forcing Gengar to switch can allow the Starmie user to double to a fast sleeper of their own and take the early momentum. Further, Psychic is Starmie’s best option to muscle past a paralyzed Chansey, as consecutive special drops can force a potential switch, allowing a chance to spread paralysis onto another member of the team. Combined with Starmie’s significant 22.46% crit chance, STAB psychic can deal significant damage to neutral threats; it will normally 3 or 4HKO Tauros and Snorlax, respectively, and it can 2HKO both with the aid of crits.

Blizzard is Starmie’s best choice for a fourth move when operating as a lead. Blizzard threatens a 3HKO on both Exeggutor and Zapdos, which are common partners to Gengar and are sometimes leads in of themselves. The damage on Exeggutor is especially significant, as this prevents Exeggutor from getting sleep for free, as it will take massive damage and risk freeze if it tries to fight Starmie. Blizzard also has 38.5% chance (57.0% including critical and freeze chance) to OHKO Dragonite. A sleeping Starmie can attempt to wake on Dragonite using Wrap and threaten significant damage. Although, unlucky wake attempts can be punished by the opposing team switching in potent threats for free, so this strategy must be used sparingly. Further, Blizzard can allow Starmie to fish for freezes in the early game, potentially scoring a massive advantage at the opening. While Ice Beam could be considered for better freeze fishing due to higher accuracy and pp, the drop in damage is significant, as 3HKOs on Exeggutor and Zapdos are no longer guaranteed. The major drawback to freeze fishing, is Starmie must often choose whether to roll on the 10% freeze or take the guaranteed paralysis. Since its role is primarily a paralysis spreader, Blizzard is usually chosen for the damage on the above targets.

If Starmie does not take sleep early, Thunder Wave can allow it to switch into common threats and deal paralysis back. Mew, Tauros, and Dragonite, specifically, are slower than Starmie and do not appreciate paralysis, so Starmie can often force them off the field. A healthy Starmie can be a valuable check to Tauros, preventing it from breaking open the team. Although Starmie must be careful of taking paralysis from Body Slam or Thunder Wave, it can still usually fire paralysis back and out speed again, allowing it to Recover back to health. However, the Ubers offense is more potent than the OU environment, and Starmie must be wary of threats that outpace recover – Thunderbolts from Zapdos, Gengar, and Mewtwo are most notable, but Swords Dance Mew can be equally threatening. Mew has a near guaranteed 2HKO with a +2 Earthquake. In later game states when Explosion users have been cleared, Mew and Mewtwo can set up Swords Dance or Amnesia, respectively, while Starmie cannot threaten them beyond paralysis. Once they have set up, they can easily clear through a paralyzed Starmie and win the game. Thus, Starmie is much less effective in the late game, so it is greatly preferred to have it take sleep.

It is best to pair Starmie with teammates that can take advantage of the opposing team being paralyzed, usually with strong physical attackers. As special walls like Chansey will often switch-in to stop Starmie's progress, physical attackers can take advantage of the now paralyzed Chansey and force damage onto the opposing team. Pokemon like Snorlax, Tauros, and Rhydon are able to 2HKO a paralyzed Chansey, so they are great at removing it to allow other teammates to spread status onto further targets. The slow, offensive ground types, such as Rhydon and Sandslash, make natural partners to Starmie. Their ground typing is appreciated to cover Starmie’s weakness to Thunderbolt, and Starmie’s Blizzard can weaken Exeggutor early and prevent it from walling them. Further, the opponent’s Mewtwo and Chansey often do not carry both Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, meaning one of the two will generally be open. Starmie and Rhydon together can be used to target the common Gengar + Zapdos team core; Starmie will generally force Gengar off the field in the early game and paralyze the incoming Chansey, allowing Rhydon to cover the Zapdos threat and be an open physical sweeper in the late game.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Thunderbolt is a tempting choice to replace Blizzard in order to punish Slowbro, which will frequently switch into a Starmie without it. However, the loss of Blizzard makes Exeggutor extremely difficult to deal with, and also leaves Starmie toothless against Zapdos and Dragonite. Thunderbolt may also be tempting for potential Starmie mirrors, but Starmie is generally not used enough to make it worth the move slot. Running Blizzard and Thunderbolt together simply leaves Starmie’s special offense too miniscule without the benefit of STAB, and it will not be able to fight Gengar without Psychic.
Surf or Hydro Pump could be considered over Blizzard or Psychic to empower Starmie as a special attacker, enabling slightly better ranges on neutral targets and scoring OHKOs on rock/ground types. Unfortunately, this will again leave Starmie unable to threaten either Gengar or Exeggutor, making these moves much more trouble than they are worth.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Thunderbolt Mewtwo**: Debatably the most common Mewtwo set, (these days its definitely not, but it's not uncommon) it can guarantee an OHKO on Starmie after one Amnesia. Especially considering Thunderbolt Mewtwo does not mind paralysis, there is little Starmie can do to threaten it, and it has no trouble setting up Amnesia and threating Starmie’s entire team. This is a hard counter, and Starmie must avoid this matchup at all costs.

**Slowbro**- Slowbro is both one of Starmie’s biggest checks and one of the most common choices instead of Starmie in the teambuilder for any position outside of the lead. Slowbro has the same typing, access to Thunder Wave, and Amnesia makes it simultaneously more threatening offensively and defensively. Slowbro will frequently enter the field once Starmie has revealed no Thunderbolt, and it will take minimal damage doing so and set up Amnesia for free. Not only will Starmie not be able to threaten it, but it must switch to something that can force it off the field before it executes a sweep.

**Zapdos and Jolteon**: Although neither is comfortable switching into Starmie, STAB Thunderbolt from either Zapdos or Jolteon is guaranteed to 2HKO Starmie or OHKO on a crit. While Zapdos does take heavy damage from Blizzard, it still has a 19.53% chance to OHKO Starmie. Jolteon, although less commonly seen, is also faster than Starmie and can survive 2 non-critical attacks, making it the better check.

**Non-STAB electric attacks**: Although rare in the Ubers metagame, stray Thunderbolts from Chansey, Lapras, or Dragonite are still significant threats. One of the most reliable ways to dispatch of a Starmie is to paralyze and threaten it with Thunderbolt. Gengar's Thunderbolt is particularly notable, as it can 2HKO Starmie and OHKO on a crit. Usually Starmie's greater speed keeps Gengar at bay, but if Starmie is paralyzed and Gengar is not, this match-up is turned to the Gengar's favor. Gengar players also have the option to risk Starmie's Psychic in exchange for a chance at a Thunderbolt critical hit, but this risk is not statistically favored and is generally not a preferred option in the Ubers metagame.

**Mew**: While Mew certainly doesn’t want to take paralysis early, in certain end-game states Mew can use an opponent’s Starmie to set up for a sweep. Starmie cannot threaten Mew once it’s paralyzed, so it depends on another teammate removing Mew. If nothing can come in and quickly threaten or remove the paralyzed Mew, Mew can set up Swords Dance and clear all of Starmie’s team.

[CREDITS]
Quality checked by:

Grammar checked by:

Sabelette

GP 1/1 GP Team done

Add Remove Comment, (AC) (AH) (AP) Add Comma/Hyphen/Period, (RC) (RH) (RP) Remove Comma/Hyphen/Period

[OVERVIEW]
Despite being an OU staple, Starmie struggles to find an impactful niche in Ubers outside of the lead slot. Both its offensive and defensive presence are outclassed by others Pokemon in the tier. Still, Starmie can be a serviceable lead in specific team compositions that benefit from extra paralysis. Its high speed Speed enables it to outpace much of the metagame and threaten damage or paralysis. Lead Starmie can inflict high damage on common early-game sleepers like (Gengar and Exeggutor) (remove parentheses) while also threatening freeze or paralysis on any switch-ins. Its best role is disrupting the opposing team’s sleepers by inflicting damage and status and then taking sleep for its teammates. Additionally, it’s its bulk and recovery fairs fares well against physical attackers such as Tauros, Snorlax, and Rhydon, provided its teammates are able to eliminate opposing special walls like Mewtwo and Chansey. Starmie will fits well into team compositions that benefit from the additional paralysis an additional fast Thunder Wave user, such as compositions with Rhydon, Tauros, Dragonite, and Thunderbolt Mewtwo.

However, the roles described above can be filled by other, (AC) more reliable options. While Starmie combines paralysis threat with special offense, Pokemon such as Chansey and Exeggutor are better at spreading status, and Pokemon like Mewtwo and Slowbro are more potent special threats. Slowbro specifically is an excellent option over Starmie in any role outside of the lead. Both share the same typing, weaknesses, and access to Thunder Wave, but Slowbro's access to Amnesia allows it to better withstand Mewtwo's assualts assault while simultaneously threatening to sweep the opposing team. Alakazam also competes for the same role as a paralysis spreader, though both have merits. Starmie has valuable physical bulk to take on Tauros and Snorlax, (RC) while also being stronger against Exeggutor and Rhydon. Alakazam, meanwhile, (AC twice here) is better into Zapdos and Gengar, can better threaten paralyzed Chansey due to its higher special Special, and it can also use Seismic Toss to deal consistent damage to Amnesia users. Starmie cannot threaten a Mewtwo nor Mew with anything beyond paralysis, and Starmie will crumble if Mewtwo carries Thunderbolt. Starmie also contains possesses no reliable tools to force paralysis past Chansey, meaning if it fails to secure a freeze, Chansey can prevent Starmie from making any progress in the game. Thus, Starmie will often fail to do more than paralyze something and take sleep. While Starmie can serve as a decent special attacker and status spreader, many teams are better supported by Pokemon that are more committed to either role.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Set Description
=========
A fast Thunder Wave user is Starmie’s primary role on any team is to act as a fast Thunder Wave user, as the goal of a Starmie team is to spread paralysis through the opponent’s team and open end-game (endgame is one word in analyses, which is confusing since we hyphenate early-game, mid-game, late-game) sweepers. Outspeeding (one word, "outspeeding) much of the metagame, Starmie can immediately paralyze an opponent’s sleep lead and any potential switch-ins. However, the early paralysis can make it more difficult to secure sleep, so lead Starmie should be used on teams that prioritize paralysis higher than over sleep or have a plan to push sleep past a paralyzed Chansey. Recover supports the its role as a paralysis spreader and helps it take on physical attackers. Once it paralyzes the opponent foe, ("opponent" = player, "foe" = mon) Starmie will usually outspeed (one word) and be able to heal off damage.

STAB-Psychic is a guaranteed 2HKO against Gengar and is capable of an OHKO on a critical hit, making this move essential on a lead Starmie set. Gengar is one of the most common leads in the Ubers metagame, and Starmie’s primary role in the lead slot is to force Gengar off the field, giving the Starmie user the option to attack, immediately use Thunder Wave, or double switch to a sleeper and induce sleep to grab momentum. and force the opponent to switch in to Starmie and take paralysis. Alternatively, the threat of Psychic forcing Gengar to switch can allow the Starmie user to double to a fast sleeper of their own and take the early momentum. Further, Psychic is Starmie’s best option to muscle past a paralyzed Chansey, as consecutive special Special drops can force a potential switch, allowing a chance to spread paralysis onto one of Chansey's teammates another member of the team. Combined with Starmie’s significant 22.46% critical hit chance, STAB psychic Psychic can deal significant damage to neutral threats targets; it will normally 3HKO Tauros and 4HKO Snorlax or 4HKO Tauros and Snorlax, respectively, and it can 2HKO both with the aid of critical hits and Special drops crits.

Blizzard is Starmie’s best choice for a fourth move when operating as a lead. Blizzard threatens a 3HKO on both Exeggutor and Zapdos, which are common partners to Gengar and are sometimes leads in of themselves. The damage on Exeggutor is especially significant, as this prevents Exeggutor from getting sleep for free, as it will take massive damage and risk freeze if it tries to fight Starmie. Blizzard also has a 38.5% chance (57.0% including critical and freeze chance) to OHKO Dragonite, (AC) bolstered further by critical hit and freeze chances. A sleeping Starmie can attempt to wake on Dragonite using Wrap and threaten significant damage. Although However, unlucky wake attempts can be punished by the opposing team switching in potent threats for free, so this strategy must be used sparingly. Further, Blizzard can allow Starmie to fish for freezes in the early game, potentially scoring a massive advantage at in the opening. While Ice Beam could be considered for better freeze fishing due to higher accuracy and pp PP, the drop in damage is significant, as 3HKOs on Exeggutor and Zapdos are no longer guaranteed. The major drawback to freeze fishing is that it delays or prevents Starmie from spreading paralysis, which is more consistent. , (RC) is Starmie must often choose whether to roll on the 10% freeze or take the guaranteed paralysis. Since its role is primarily a paralysis spreader, Blizzard is usually chosen for the damage on the above targets.

If Starmie does not take sleep early, Thunder Wave can allow it to switch into common threats and deal paralysis back. Mew, Tauros, and Dragonite, specifically, are slower than Starmie and do not appreciate paralysis, so Starmie can often force them off the field. A healthy Starmie can be a valuable check to Tauros, preventing it from breaking open the team. Although Starmie must be careful of taking paralysis from Body Slam or Thunder Wave, but it can still usually fire paralysis back and out speed off Thunder Wave and outspeed again, allowing it to use Recover more effectively back to health. However, the Ubers offense in Ubers is more potent than the in OU environment, and Starmie must be wary of threats that outpace recover Recover (replace this dash with "—" minus the quotes; no spaces between — and the words "Recover" and "Thunderbolt") Thunderbolts from Zapdos, Gengar, and Mewtwo are is the most notable danger, but Swords Dance Mew can be equally threatening. Mew has a near-guaranteed (AH) 2HKO with a +2 Earthquake. In later game states when Once Explosion users have been cleared, Mew and Mewtwo can set up freely Swords Dance or Amnesia, respectively, while Starmie cannot threaten them beyond paralysis. Once they have set up, they can easily clear through a paralyzed Starmie and win the game. Thus, Starmie is much less effective in the late-game, (AH) so it is greatly preferred to have it take sleep.

It is best to pair Starmie with teammates that can take advantage of the opposing team being paralyzed, (RC) usually with strong physical attackers. As special walls like Chansey will often switch-in (RH, "switch in") to stop Starmie's progress, physical attackers can take advantage of the now-paralyzed (AH) Chansey and force damage onto the opposing team. Pokemon like Snorlax, Tauros, and Rhydon are able to 2HKO a paralyzed Chansey, so they are great at removing it to allow other teammates to spread status onto further targets. The slow, offensive ground types, such as Rhydon and Sandslash, make natural partners to Starmie. Their ground Ground typing is appreciated to cover Starmie’s weakness to Thunderbolt, and Starmie’s Blizzard can weaken Exeggutor early and prevent it from walling them. Further, the opponent’s Mewtwo and Chansey often do not carry both Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, meaning one of the two will generally be open provide chances to gain momentum. Starmie and Rhydon together can be used to target the common Gengar + Zapdos team core; Starmie will generally force Gengar off the field in the early-game (AH) and paralyze the incoming Chansey, allowing Rhydon to cover the Zapdos threat and sweep late-game be an open physical sweeper in the late game.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Thunderbolt is a tempting choice to replace Blizzard in order to punish Slowbro, which will frequently switch into a Starmie without it. However, the loss of Blizzard makes Exeggutor extremely difficult to deal with, and also leaves Starmie toothless against Zapdos and Dragonite. Thunderbolt may also be tempting for potential Starmie mirrors, but Starmie is generally not used enough to make it worth the moveslot (one word). Running Blizzard and Thunderbolt together simply leaves Starmie’s special offense too miniscule minuscule without the benefit of STAB, and it will not be able to cannot fight Gengar without Psychic.

Surf or Hydro Pump could be considered over Blizzard or Psychic to empower Starmie as a special attacker, enabling slightly better damage ranges on neutral targets and scoring OHKOs on rock/ground Rock / Ground types. Unfortunately, this will again leave Starmie unable to threaten either Gengar or Exeggutor, making these moves much more trouble than they are worth.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Thunderbolt Mewtwo**: A Thunderbolt is a common option on Mewtwo set, and it can guarantee an OHKO on Starmie after one Amnesia. Especially considering Since Thunderbolt Mewtwo does not usually mind paralysis, there is little Starmie can do to threaten it, and it has no trouble setting up Amnesia and threating Starmie’s entire team. This is a hard counter, and Starmie must avoid this matchup at all costs.

**Slowbro**- Slowbro is both one of Starmie’s biggest checks and one of the most common choices instead of Starmie in the teambuilder for any position outside of the lead. Slowbro has the same typing, access to Thunder Wave, and Amnesia, (AC) which makes it simultaneously more threatening offensively and defensively. Slowbro will frequently enter the field once Starmie has revealed no it lacks Thunderbolt, and it will take minimal damage doing so and set up Amnesia for free. Not only will Starmie not be able to threaten it, but it must switch to something that can force it off the field before it executes a sweep.

**Zapdos and Jolteon**: Although neither is comfortable switching into Starmie, STAB Thunderbolt from either Zapdos or and Jolteon is guaranteed to 2HKO Starmie or and OHKOes with on a critical hit. While Zapdos does take heavy damage from Blizzard, it still has a 19.53% chance to OHKO Starmie. Jolteon, although less commonly seen, is also faster than Starmie and can survive 2 non-critical attacks, making it the better check.

**Non-STAB electric attacks Thunderbolt Users**: Although rare in the Ubers metagame, a stray Thunderbolts from Chansey, Lapras, or Dragonite are is still a significant threats. One of the most reliable ways to dispatch of a Starmie is to paralyze and threaten it with Thunderbolt. Gengar's Thunderbolt is particularly notable, as it can 2HKO Starmie and OHKO on a critical hit. Usually, (AC) Starmie's greater speed Speed keeps Gengar at bay, but if Starmie is paralyzed and Gengar is not, this match-up (one word, matchup) is turned to the Gengar's favor. Gengar players also have the option to risk Starmie's Psychic in exchange for a chance at a Thunderbolt critical hit, but this risk is not statistically favored and is generally not a preferred option in the Ubers metagame.

**Mew**: While Mew certainly doesn’t want to take paralysis early, in certain end-game (RH, endgame) states Mew can use an opponent’s Starmie to set up for a sweep. Starmie cannot threaten Mew once it’s paralyzed, so it depends on another teammate removing Mew. If nothing can come in and quickly threaten or remove the paralyzed Mew, Mew can set up Swords Dance and clear all of Starmie’s team.

[CREDITS]
Quality checked by:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/enigami.233818/
Grammar checked by:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)