Stadium 1 strongest Team

Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this thread.

I recently dug up my old copy of Stadium 1 along with my Transfer Pak, and playing the game again made me wonder could be considered the strongest team of 6 to bring into the Gym Leader Castle and Prime Cup. Not a team tailor made for speed running the thing, just the overall most solid collection of Mons to take on the biggest amount of threats. I figured it would probably be the usual suspects of Alakazam, Chansey and Starmie, but I wanted to hear other folks opinions. Considering the fix to Hyper Beam, would Tauros still be up there?

Amnesia Mewtwo is legal in Gym Leader Castle and Prime Cup.
Add something to switch into random Electrode.
What else do you need?

Last edited:
Amnesia Mewtwo is good yes, but so is Slowbro. Slowbro takes an extra turn however to hit the 999 Cap on Special. It's also easier to raise to 100 than Mewtwo. I would grab a Ground Type for any pesky Electrics. Rhydon or Golem will work the best. Zam is pretty good, but if you already have Mewtwo or Slowbro, then I wouldn't bother. Same with Starmie. Maybe put a Gengar in for any big hitting Normal Types. Also helps with any Wrappers and Exploders. Zapdos or Jolteon would be good Electric picks. While Electrode has the highest rate to Crit, it has very mediocre Special so the other two beat it out (they also crit frequently). Toxic Leech still applies here to my knowledge so maybe a Venusaur?

Also be careful. Speed to Crit ratio I believe was altered. BaseSpeed+76 then divide that value by 1024. (Tauros would have a 18% chance to Crit)

Blatantly broken pokemon aside(mainly Mewtwo and to some extent Mew), i'd say this team is a good one.

Zapdos : Sub
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Drill peck

Jolteon : Sub
Thunder wave
Thunderbolt
Focus energy/pin pissile

Rhydon : Sub
Body slam
Rock slide
EQ

Exeggutor : Psychic
Sleep powder/Stun powder
Mega drain(idk)
Explosion

Starmie : Psychic
Surf
Recover
Ice beam/Thunderbolt

Gengar : Psychic
Explosion
Ice punch (do you mind tradebacks?)
Thunderbolt

Honestly, one might well argue that some of these pokemon are broken as well, especially Zapdos, thing is just too good.

Its very simple, really, dual electrics + Exeggutor/Rhydon beats most match-ups, you almost always have a safe switch(taking minimal damage).
When this doesnt work, starmie can put in work, and it walls other psychics, and can wear them down due to recover.

Rhydon is a free-switch in against electrics, and otherwise destroys most things with paralysis support.

I think Gengar is worthy of the final spot, as it almost always gets at least one kill, and it totally shuts things like Giovannis persian down.

You might question the lack of normals, but i dont find that i need them, and besides, Hyper beam requires to recharge when you knock pokemon out here.

Sub is your friend on stadium, hyper beam not really.

Blatantly broken pokemon aside(mainly Mewtwo and to some extent Mew), i'd say this team is a good one.

Zapdos : Sub
Thunder Wave
Thunderbolt
Drill peck

Jolteon : Sub
Thunder wave
Thunderbolt
Focus energy/pin pissile

Rhydon : Sub
Body slam
Rock slide
EQ

Exeggutor : Psychic
Sleep powder/Stun powder
Mega drain(idk)
Explosion

Starmie : Psychic
Surf
Recover
Ice beam/Thunderbolt

Gengar : Psychic
Explosion
Ice punch (do you mind tradebacks?)
Thunderbolt

Honestly, one might well argue that some of these pokemon are broken as well, especially Zapdos, thing is just too good.

Its very simple, really, dual electrics + Exeggutor/Rhydon beats most match-ups, you almost always have a safe switch(taking minimal damage).
When this doesnt work, starmie can put in work, and it walls other psychics, and can wear them down due to recover.

Rhydon is a free-switch in against electrics, and otherwise destroys most things with paralysis support.

I think Gengar is worthy of the final spot, as it almost always gets at least one kill, and it totally shuts things like Giovannis persian down.

You might question the lack of normals, but i dont find that i need them, and besides, Hyper beam requires to recharge when you knock pokemon out here.

Sub is your friend on stadium, hyper beam not really.
Gengar can't get Ice Punch. If you were thinking of Gengar getting it in GSC and then trading back, you can't. It is an illegal move as Gengar has no access to it in Gen 1, and the Time Machine blocks you off from trading it back. Also, I wouldn't bother using two Electrics. One of this is a valuable slot there and you should try your best to not share types here. While Sub is useful, I wouldn't recommend it either. Most of the teams in the game don't use status (barring a few) or have a set strategy they like to do. I would also not bother with Focus Energy. If we use the Jolteon as an example. BaseSpeed + 236 divided by 4 then multiply by 2 we get 183. Then divide this value by 256 we get a 71% chance to crit every time. The only issue is that you have to kinda live long enough to see it.

Gengar can't get Ice Punch. If you were thinking of Gengar getting it in GSC and then trading back, you can't. It is an illegal move as Gengar has no access to it in Gen 1, and the Time Machine blocks you off from trading it back. Also, I wouldn't bother using two Electrics. One of this is a valuable slot there and you should try your best to not share types here. While Sub is useful, I wouldn't recommend it either. Most of the teams in the game don't use status (barring a few) or have a set strategy they like to do. I would also not bother with Focus Energy. If we use the Jolteon as an example. BaseSpeed + 236 divided by 4 then multiply by 2 we get 183. Then divide this value by 256 we get a 71% chance to crit every time. The only issue is that you have to kinda live long enough to see it.
The time capsule doesn't allow Gen 2 moves and pokemon, but moves that existed in Gen 1 are fair game which is the entire point of the tradebacks format.

Gengar is perfectly capable of using Ice punch in stadium 1, though whether you feel tradeback moves are legit enough is up to you.

Two electrics is fine, always worked for me, though i guess you can use Tauros there, probably good as well.
Keep in mind though, Zapdos and Jolteon doesnt serve quite the same role in the team.

And no, many teams use status in stadium 1, Sub is one of the best moves to use there, of this there can be no doubt.
You are really missing out if you dont use the move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)