Other Metagames STABmons: The Itsy Bitsy Spider

"The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the waterspout.
Down came the rain
And washed the spider out..."

Rain has always one of my favorite playstyles in general, just look at Psyshroom lol. I messed around with Dragon Energy Water Spout Kingdra back in SS STABmons to great effect, and I decided to build a new STABmons team based around it using it and other things added in the new DLC. Also, a shoutout to StupidFlandrs48 for helping me think of sets, even when I abandoned some of them (Rip Teleport Metagross)

Rationale for choosing each team member:
1703787330553.png

Pelipper is obviously mandatory for rain. Araquanid is a promising rain abuser because although it is slow and has mediocre attacking stats, it has Water Bubble, which is effectively Huge Power for all Water type attacks. Kingdra has Swift Swim boosted speed to fire off powerful Choice Specs boosted Water Spouts and Dragon Energies. Barraskewda is a faster physical rain threat, and has an excellent speed stat even when rain isn't up. Toxapex is a defensive backbone and pivot that holds the team together, it helps remove hazards, clears stat boosts, and can take hits excellently with its Assault Vest and physical bulk. Thundurus-Therian is happy to spam its powerful Hurricane in rain, and also gets a powerful Meteor Beam-esque electric move under Rain.

The Sets:

Aquamarine (Pelipper) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Aeroblast
- Defog
- U-turn
- Roost

Aeroblast is used over a Water stab move to improve the team's coverage over certain grasses, and is used over Hurricane to ensure greater reliability in the case of Rain being removed. Defog is used to clear hazards, but this is usually a last resort as Pex usually has hazard clearing duties covered. U-turn is used for slow pivoting into a rain threat, and Roost is used to heal health. Damp Rock is banned, so Heavy Duty Boots are used to maximize longevity.

1703787330553.png

Navy (Araquanid) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Water Bubble
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Jet Punch
- Mirror Coat
- U-turn

Araquanid is used for its ability Water Bubble, which both blocks it from getting burned and gives a 2x boost to all of its water type moves. Surging Strikes was a natural option due to its lack of Wave Crash's recoil, as well as its critical hits preventing it from being affected by intimidate attack drops, reflect, or opposing defense boosts. Jet Punch is used for reliable priority. U-Turn is used for pivoting over Flip Turn due to Flip Turn being blocked by water-immune mons. Mirror Coat is mostly here as filler as I'm not really sure what else could be used on this set.

Turquoise (Kingdra) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Dragon Energy
- Steam Eruption
- Dynamax Cannon

This is a revival of a set I used back in SS STABmons, and it's pretty straightforward. It's meant to spam Water Spout or Dragon Energy with its Swift Swim boosted speed and Choice Specs power boost. Once it runs low on health, it can switch to using Steam Eruption or Dynamax Cannon. I decided to go with a Modest nature to maximize its power, as Barraskewda already provides a great amount of speed whether Swift Swim boosted or not.

Red Snapper (Barraskewda) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Flip Turn
- Close Combat
- Psychic Fangs

Barraskewda is a powerful Swift Swim user with high attack and a blistering high speed stat. Again, Surging Strikes is used because its guaranteed crits and multi hit nature help to avoid certain debuffs, opposing buffs, and substitute/focus sash. Flip Turn is used to provide some pivoting, and can be used to get a teammate in safely if used to KO an opponent. Close Combat and Psychic Fangs help to flesh out its coverage, and Tera Psychic + Psychic fangs is especially helpful for certain Grass/Poison types, like Amoongus.

Periwinkle (Toxapex) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Flip Turn
- Mortal Spin
- Clear Smog
- Malignant Chain

I realized that Toxapex has great physical bulk when fully invested, and decided to use an Assault Vest to shore up its uninvested special bulk. Flip turn allows it to be a slow pivot, which is especially useful given that the Rain abusers need to hit the field safely to maximize their damage output. Clear Smog is used to prevent it from being completely passive against opposing setup threats, while Malignant Chain can be used to fish for Toxic damage against certain annoyances to the team, especially Water immunes like Ogerpon-Wellspring and Gastrodon. Tera Psychic is used to help shore up matchups against the aforementioned Pokemon. Mortal Spin is used to clear hazards and force even more status against the opponent.

Cerulean (Thundurus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Electro Shot
- Hurricane
- Psychic
- Volt Switch

Thundurus-Therian already has great Special Attack, so Choice Scarf is used to shore up its speed against opposing threats. Volt Switch helps provide positioning and pivoting against threats, Psychic helps for coverage purposes. Hurricane is reliable, powerful flying stab under Rain. Electro Shot is the main attraction with this set, it is a 100% accurate, 130 base power electric type move that boosts special attack after a charging turn like Meteor Beam. However, under rain, the charging turn is bypassed. An interesting mechanic I also noticed is that Electro Shot also boosts special attack when protected against, so protect users attempting to scout its next move can be punished.

Team Paste:
https://pokepast.es/d7acddf94b13fae4

Thanks for reading! I'm open to any and all advice!

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)