Danny

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
ZU Circuit Champion
OP Stolen from: gorex
Approved by: 5gen

32A37A97-4980-4627-A682-DCED12AB54F1.jpeg

Art by: lei

Rules:
- Have a one paragraph description with the core / Pokemon you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be.
- Do not post asking us to make use of unviable Pokemon. This is not a competition to see how good we are at teambuilding; this is us trying to educate people on what is good and how to build effective teams.
- Do not flame people for asking for a certain Pokemon or that they can't build one themselves.
- Each user is allowed one request per week and any user found requesting multiple will have their post deleted
- Please remember that these teams are first drafts and as such will not be perfect. Edit them as you please.
- On that note, you are free (and highly encouraged) to suggest and post changes / critiques you've made to already posted teams that you feel improve them.
- Please refrain from posting teams unless you are an "employee," but if you feel that you would be a valuable asset to the construction of a certain team, PM me.
- Do note that requests for teams built around mons that are not ranked on the SS ZU VR are not allowed as they are generally less viable mons in the tier.

Note:
If you wish to become a member of the Lab staff, please send the hosts a forum PM containing an application that follows the format below. Bear in mind that demand for builders will fluctuate based on the volume of requests and the activity level of the Lab's current staff.
1. Be knowledgeable regarding the ZU tier and the current metagame
2. Provide evidence demonstrating your skills as a builder (RMT Team Showcase, examples of successful teams, etc.)
3. ~A paragraph in length describing how you build / what playstyle you are best at building (offense, stall, or balance, to be precise)
You must clearly demonstrate to the hosts that you deserve consideration as a builder. If you do not provide enough useful information to successfully enable us to judge your suitability for the position, your application will be declined.

Host:
daniYSB

Builders:
daniYSB
kay
S1nn0hC0nfirm3d
czim
Greybaum
Announcements
  • The Lab is currently NOT ACCEPTING builder applications!
  • The Lab does not accept requests including Pokemon currently undergoing suspect testing.
  • The Lab is currently accepting team building requests!

Last edited:
Hey there! I request for a team to be built around the offensive core of
:Cinccino: and :Thievul: , I tried building it myself but idk if the team is too good.
Here are the sets , ofc you can change stuff
Thievul @ Choice Specs
Ability: Stakeout
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Burning Jealousy
- Parting Shot

Cinccino @ Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Bullet Seed

Edit - sorry I didn't give the description
The core is pretty straightforward, built around thiev, a deadly wallbreaker with its stakeout ability. The trick was to bring it in vs foes that it threatens out, like cofa, uxie, and physical walls in general. Hence, its paired with a cinccino, who can lure those walls in and u turn to bring thiev in, then the fox(I think it's a fox?) deals heavy damage. I don't wanna restrict y'all to one playstyle, so do whatever. Although I guess bo or balance would work the best here.

Last edited:
Hey there! I request for a team to be built around the offensive core of
:Cinccino: and :Thievul: , I tried building it myself but idk if the team is too good.
Here are the sets , ofc you can change stuff
Thievul @ Choice Specs
Ability: Stakeout
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Burning Jealousy
- Parting Shot

Cinccino @ Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link
Jolly Nature
- Tail Slap
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Bullet Seed

Edit - sorry I didn't give the description
The core is pretty straightforward, built around thiev, a deadly wallbreaker with its stakeout ability. The trick was to bring it in vs foes that it threatens out, like cofa, uxie, and physical walls in general. Hence, its paired with a cinccino, who can lure those walls in and u turn to bring thiev in, then the fox(I think it's a fox?) deals heavy damage. I don't wanna restrict y'all to one playstyle, so do whatever. Although I guess bo or balance would work the best here.
:ss/palpitoad::ss/palpitoad::ss/palpitoad::ss/palpitoad::ss/palpitoad::ss/palpitoad::ss/palpitoad:
Our first request has been finished
Here's your team Dr Ya Yeet (click for import) - :cinccino::thievul::uxie::ferroseed::qwilfish::silvally:(ground)

So just to go a bit on my thought process here, the breaking core of Thievul and Cinccino share a Fighting-weakness and are both somewhat frail so I wanted to have a rocker that would patch that up. I was between Uxie, Runerigus and Palpitoad but Uxie's ability to provide slow U-turn for the 2 breakers looked more appealing. Ferroseed was added next because the team needed a mon to pivot on in case stuff like Tangela or the fairies got a free switch in. It also helps me handle Frosmoth and Gorse and also pressures stuff like Cryogonal and Articuno which can be annoying for Thievul, while also being one of the few Spdef walls that can handle Kangaskhan. Adding Spikes on Ferroseed made adding Swords Dance Qwilfish to the team easy since i needed a sort of wincon and a Centiskorch check. Qwilfish also helps me handle the Fighting weakness so Uxie doesnt get overpressured while also helping me handle Rapidash and the fairies that can get out of hand vs Ferro depending on the set, and having some nice priority to revenge Silvally-Ground for the team, which can be annoying since Uxie is the only thing that wants to switch in on that. Finally, since I already have a good rocker, Silvally-Ground seemed like a nice last slot, giving me a Volt immunity easing the MU vs Rotom and especially Manectric (which annoys ferro), a much needed Skuntank check, while also providing more support for the voltturn core and Defog if needed. I think you can drop Defog on Silvally for Swords Dance or Flamethrower/Ice Beam to have more offensive pressure since the team usually doesn't need to Defog but i never really felt like I needed a 2nd Swords Dance mon.

Some weaknesses for the team include the Silvallies like Ground and Ghost, Ground pressures anything bar Uxie, which tends to get worn down quickly. Ghost, on the other hand, can pressure the team a lot after 1 Swords Dance and go to town. Your best play is to chip it with whatever is in vs it and revenge with Cinccino otherwise you're having a bad time. Any special attacker that can pressure Ferroseed like Ninetales, Specs Poli or Sub NP Uxie/Rotom will be annoying too, usually forcing you to sack 1 or 2 mons to handle them. I also got absolutely bodied by a Grassy Glide Lurantis on Terrain on ladder after one Superpower boost so watch out for that lmao.

Couple replays of the team in action and Thievul being broken
vs quags - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1360564331-bi0jsr7c6rihqqjwpsg5rzts4v73rgjpw
vs tuthur - https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1360558868-5xetw9s6mhemdmphe4o4e9ef6nvebjhpw

Overall I really liked how this team turned out so I hope you will enjoy it too

Last edited:
been wanting to delve more into swsh zu, requesting a hyper offense preferably around a double NP core like skuntank + rotom. my thought process was it could break through its shared checks. rotom 1v1s spdef wishiwashi, skuntank can pressure ferroseed, and vice versa

by request of kay, edited for context

Last edited:
been wanting to delve more into swsh zu, requesting a hyper offense
- Have a one paragraph description with the core / Pokemon you want us to build around and a slight idea of what kind of team you want the end result to be.

I'd love to build this out for you but could you be a bit more specific in the kind of team you want?

EDIT: Sounds great now. I'll start working on it!

Last edited:
Hello, I'd like to request a team around SD Shiftry. I like the versatility Shiftry offers and he's been a favourite of mine since he was a powerhouse in ORAS NU.

Being an offensively inclined player, I'd prefer something along the lines of hyper offense, but everything up to bulky offense works for me. Ideally, the team would feature a VoltTurn core, seeing how shiftry appreciates being brought in by slow U-Turns.

been wanting to delve more into swsh zu, requesting a hyper offense preferably around a double NP core like skuntank + rotom. my thought process was it could break through its shared checks. rotom 1v1s spdef wishiwashi, skuntank can pressure ferroseed, and vice versa

by request of kay, edited for context
1624299594955.png
1624299615601.png
1624299621635.png
1624299631194.png
1624299640371.png
1624299650579.png

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 100 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt

Rotom @ Spell Tag
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder

Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Rapidash @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun

I had a lot of fun building this one out but I had to make some slight changes to the request to make the team flow a little better. Double set up on HO with np skunk + np rotom wasn't quite working out as a concept because it takes time for rotom to break apart the ground types (even with NP) and hyper offense just didn't lend itself to the main idea you wanted for the team as they both lacked any kind of power before setting up which really sapped any kind of momentum and made it really hard to gain any kind of progress in the game.

So with those issues in mind I ended up swapping rotom to hex spell tag as it still worked the same way you wanted NP to work, namely breaking down the ground types that skunk needs to be cleared, but it also maintains its ability to pivot and support a more offensive team. While the team couldn't quite make it as hyper offense, I tried to make it as offensive as possible while still coming up with a really cool team around the original vision you had!

The team uses its 5 offensive immunities to its full advantage by being able to answer almost all the major threats in ZU while keeping a very offensive heavy presence. Rhydon is answering things Kanga, rotom, mane, and skunk while rap + scarf jynx is able to take on everything from skorch, frosmoth, and basculin. Rotom and Skuntank are how you mostly gain advantage by utilizing rotom as early and as often as possible to start either gaining momentum or breaking apart the bulky ground types so Skunk can come in and break the generic special walls when those are out of the way.

Tangela ends up being the chosen glue mon for its ability to switch into sawk, all the vally forms, and take a lot of pressure off the rest of your team by being a middle ground play so you don't need to always jump to using your offensive mons defensively which makes playing around all the immunities even harder to deal with. I hope you enjoy!

Hello, I'd like to request a team around SD Shiftry. I like the versatility Shiftry offers and he's been a favourite of mine since he was a powerhouse in ORAS NU.

Being an offensively inclined player, I'd prefer something along the lines of hyper offense, but everything up to bulky offense works for me. Ideally, the team would feature a VoltTurn core, seeing how shiftry appreciates being brought in by slow U-Turns.
I'll take this one too

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion

:shiftry: :articuno: :wishiwashi: :coalossal: :rotom: :dugtrio-alola:
Click on the sprites for the team! I built a simple VoltTurn where I tried to have the defensive core lure in threats for Shiftry to revenge kill or wallbreak. Articuno and Wishiwashi U-turn to gain momentum for Shiftry, and U-turn chip combined with their Freeze-Dry + Scald are both really helpful for wearing down targets for Shiftry to break. Coalossal helps the defensive core as a Stealth Rock setter, mandatory Centiskorch check, and it baits physical attackers so to lock into attacks to bring into Wishiwashi, which thus generates more momentum with its slow U-Turn. Wishiwashi is mixed def given the team could really use a Sawk switch-in that's a lot bulkier than Rotom. Rotom is also the Choice Scarf user of the team, and Alolan Dugtrio is another revenge killer / wallbreaker.

Shiftry's most prevalent counter is Tangela, but its Knock Off into Leaf Storm still can do a ton. The team also has Sludge Wave on Alolan Dugtrio to lure in Tangela and 2HKO it after rocks. Alolan Dugtrio will hep revenge kill / switch into Garbodor and fast Poison Jab Qwilfish for Shiftry. Watch out for offensive Rock-types because Alolan Dugtrio is the only Rock resist on the team with 3 weaknesses, and you'll have to keep Wishiwashi around and healthy as a Rhydon switch-in. As for rarer Rock-types like SD Lycanroc-Midnight and CB Stonjourner, you'll need aggressive plays with Rotom / Shiftry to stand a chance, so again watch out for those. Outside of that matchup, the team should handle most of everything else the ladder throws at ya.

Thanks a lot for the team - that was REALLY fast, I really appreciate your work! How much time should I let pass before requesting another team? I am really starting to appreciate the tier, it's a lot of fun, but I'm not nearly familiar enough with it to build quality teams myself yet.

Reactions: kay
Thanks a lot for the team - that was REALLY fast, I really appreciate your work! How much time should I let pass before requesting another team? I am really starting to appreciate the tier, it's a lot of fun, but I'm not nearly familiar enough with it to build quality teams myself yet.
A week is the cooldown period, you can see the rules above :) glad to know you're enjoying the tier!!

I would like to request a team built around Knock Off Lurantis and Volt Switch Klinklang. Lurantis tends to lure some of the tier's premier defoggers (i.e. Altaria, Articuno, and Cramorant) as well as Frosmoth. Klinklang has a pretty good matchup against these Pokemon by virtue of its typing and special bulk, so I think it might make sense to pair the two in a bulky offense setting in order to 1) attrition a sweeper of your choosing that enjoys having these taken care of, and 2) just generally limit opportunities for hazard-weak threats like kay alluded to in his recent post.

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
daniYSB wanted some work to do, so may I have a bulky offensive team with Gourgeist-Small please? Particularly an offensive wallbreaker set (CB or LO AoA, I'm not sure what's better in this meta). Ty!
:gourgeist: :kangaskhan: :morpeko: :garbodor: :piloswine: :wishiwashi-school:
Click on the sprites for the team! This BO / hazard stack utilizes AoA Gourgeist-Small as a spinblocker, revenge killer, and one of three physical attackers on the offensive side of things. Shadow Sneak is one of the many priority attacks on the team meant to help finish off faster threats, and Fire Blast is great for wearing down Tangela and Ferroseed. While hazard stack does enjoy Knock Off support, this team enjoys Gourgeist-Small's unique offensive capabilities enough to forgo item removal and maximize Poltergeist's effectiveness. Gourg is also a much needed Silvally-Ground check so that Piloswine can afford Toxic over Icicle Crash, and it works with Kangaskhan, Morpeko, and all the forms of chip damage here to sweep teams. Kangaskhan and CB Morpeko are great at revenge killing, cleaning, wallbreaking... They even work as Ghost switch-ins for Gourg. Garb / Piloswine / Wishi make up the defensive core, which works well enough in the short term as defensive pivots to get in the attackers. Wishi's Scald is the only special attack on the team, and while it's necessary for the ID Cofagrigus matchup, the team's residual damage output is usually fine enough to handle everything else. Just play aggressively and one attacker will sweep after the other. Watch out for stall; you'll need to rely on Wishi for absorbing hits and if Morpeko only has a limited amount of turns to Rapid Spin before its too worn down.

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
long time listener, first time caller

i'd like to request a balance team around sd :silvally:ghost and :audino: please! the former can be sub or not, it doesnt matter to me, and the latter should ideally be the standard wishtect + knock. i tried building my own team around them and really just was not pleased with the results. i would have used :garbodor: but it’s leaving in a few days so i didnt bother. the core looks like it would get bopped by :kangaskhan: so something to deal with or punish her would be beneficial. thank you!!

Last edited:
free teams :eyes:

I would like a team built around Sub Toxic Articuno with Freeze Dry and Roost. I built a team around it before https://pokepast.es/60edeb63c0a5384a however its a bit outdated now so would like a new one. I was also not sure what evs are best for this set so I just went with max max but it would be cool if you found a custom ev spread so certain moves don't break sub or something. I have no preference on the rest of the team or core, just want a solid team with this articuno set. Oh anti cheese for terrain might also be nice to have if it can fit it, if not no worries. Ill just hax outplay. Thanks in advance!

viet noa

eating neopronoun pizza at little xe/xyrs
is a Pre-Contributor
henlo :>

i’d like to request a team built around :sandslash-alola: and :rotom:. i would like the squad to be a balanced offense team, as aloslash and fantom are both decent offensive threats with utility as well. this is mainly due to their immunities and resistances being quite plentiful. with boltbeam coverage in mind, they can do a lot of the breaking/cleaning with the support of bulky support mons such as uxie and tangela.
note: ice shard and knock off aren’t compatible :(

Sandslash-Alola @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Slush Rush
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off / Ice Shard
- Iron Head / Earthquake

Sandslash-Alola @ Choice Band
Ability: Slush Rush
Adamant Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off / Ice Shard
- Iron Head
- Earthquake / Ice Shard

Rotom @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Defog / Pain Split

Rotom @ Sitrus Berry / Colbur Berry
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball

long time listener, first time caller

i'd like to request a balance team around sd :silvally:ghost and :audino: please! the former can be sub or not, it doesnt matter to me, and the latter should ideally be the standard wishtect + knock. i tried building my own team around them and really just was not pleased with the results. i would have used :garbodor: but it’s leaving in a few days so i didnt bother. the core looks like it would get bopped by :kangaskhan: so something to deal with or punish her would be beneficial. thank you!!
Sadly with shifts potentially taking vally ghost I waited to fill this request until we could see for sure. And sure enough we can no longer take this request because it did end up moving. Feel free to ask for something else tho!

EDIT: Also taking hiss' request

hayedenn

forgotten me already?
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hey a project to contribute to :> I'd like to request a team built around :kangaskhan: + :cinccino: (sets linked in sprites). The idea behind this is that Cincinno baits in a lot of common Kanga checks like Tangela, Gurdurr, Persian-Alola, etc which helps open up Kanga, either via removing boots for future hazard damage or Eviolites (similar to Centi + Kanga). Ideally the team would be more offensive w/ hazard stack and such which (imo) takes most advantage of the offensive nature of the core but it's completely up to you :) Cheers

Can I request for an Arctovish team? I think it would be best on hail, to cover up its speed issue. Set can be w/e , proly anything but scarf :p
[Is the lab open btw? It says both open and closed in the announcements, but I'm submitting coz the open message is the last one, ples lmk if it's not open, sorry in advance :( ]

Last edited:

Danny

ZU Circuit Champion
Can I request for an Arctovish team? I think it would be best on hail, to cover up it's speed issue. Set can be w/e , proly anything but scarf :p
[Is the lab open btw? It says both open and closed in the announcements, but I'm submitting coz the open message is the last one, ples lmk if it's not open, sorry in advance :( ]
We’re open atm. Was a bit confusing with the new drops but we’re good to go!

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hey a project to contribute to :> I'd like to request a team built around :kangaskhan: + :cinccino: (sets linked in sprites). The idea behind this is that Cincinno baits in a lot of common Kanga checks like Tangela, Gurdurr, Persian-Alola, etc which helps open up Kanga, either via removing boots for future hazard damage or Eviolites (similar to Centi + Kanga). Ideally the team would be more offensive w/ hazard stack and such which (imo) takes most advantage of the offensive nature of the core but it's completely up to you :) Cheers
https://pokepast.es/ceab36e352c3349f
:Kangaskhan: :Cinccino: :Rotom-Fan: :Klinklang: :Qwilfish: :Shuckle:
Hey beauts! Here’s a Cinccino + Kanga team you requested. I paired together Rotom-Fan + Qwilfish together to maintain a balance between fighting resists. Rotom-Fan is still flexible in many roles, from crippling most Physical attackers with Will-O-wisp to maintaining a VoltTurn core. Fan also ensures the team doesn’t struggle too much against physically defensive threats like Cofagrigus and Gourgeist. Hazards are also a key part of the team; Shuckle exploits teams reliant on speed control like Scarf Sawk and Gourgeist-Small with Sticky web and ensures its teammates momentum with encore to frustrate setup sweepers like Silvally-Ground. Klinklang rounds out the team with its excellent defensive typing, nifty Clear Body ability, and ability to frustrate stall teams with SubToxic, while maintaining a threatening offensive presence with Shift Gear + Gear Grind. Klinklang’s defensive typing allows it to blanket check grass types like Thwackey and Flapple.

Danny

ZU Circuit Champion
https://pokepast.es/ceab36e352c3349f
:Kangaskhan: :Cinccino: :Rotom-Fan: :Klinklang: :Qwilfish: :Shuckle:
Hey beauts! Here’s a Cinccino + Kanga team you requested. I paired together Rotom-Fan + Qwilfish together to maintain a balance between fighting resists. Rotom-Fan is still flexible in many roles, from crippling most Physical attackers with Will-O-wisp to maintaining a VoltTurn core. Fan also ensures the team doesn’t struggle too much against physically defensive threats like Cofagrigus and Gourgeist. Hazards are also a key part of the team; Shuckle exploits teams reliant on speed control like Scarf Sawk and Gourgeist-Small with Sticky web and ensures its teammates momentum with encore to frustrate setup sweepers like Silvally-Ground. Klinklang rounds out the team with its excellent defensive typing, nifty Clear Body ability, and ability to frustrate stall teams with SubToxic, while maintaining a threatening offensive presence with Shift Gear + Gear Grind. Klinklang’s defensive typing allows it to blanket check grass types like Thwackey and Flapple.
Hey 5Dots Cool Team! Unfortunately, we’d prefer if the people who provide teams on here are part of the teambuilding lab, and seeing as we don’t have that many requests for teams we currently aren’t accepting new builders. I’d reccomend you post this in the SS ZU Bazaar. Fun looking team though :)

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Hey 5Dots Cool Team! Unfortunately, we’d prefer if the people who provide teams on here are part of the teambuilding lab, and seeing as we don’t have that many requests for teams we currently aren’t accepting new builders. I’d reccomend you post this in the SS ZU Bazaar. Fun looking team though :)
my bad, didn’t read the rules in the original post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)