Project SS ZU Secret Santa 2022

MeeMoon78

Banned deucer.
I refer to the rules post at the beginning of the thread for how this secret santa project works. The idea is that ppl that join will get a Pokemon/core to build around in gen8 ZU, not in other tiers. Your teams are welcome but in another thread such as SV OU/Nat Dex OU Bazaars :) but they are out of scope here.
Okay whos paired with me then.

Update for Secret Santa! Some of you have received the requests... GREAT!!!!! I hope you have fun building around them :)

But some of you have not received it... I am sorry but I am waiting for some people that have not sent a request yet and I have warned them today (BloodAce Mintly missangelic Miyoko giove97 GarchompFan1512 ADF Test). Please, submit your request asap otherwise I will choose the request by myself, ho-ho-ho!!!! :ho-oh:

Anyway, I hope I will tell you the mons around today-tomorrow. Sorry for he inconveniences!

plznostep

Flittle Fanatic
is a Community Contributor
Heya Drud, for this years Secret Santa, you requested a team built around Greedent, but without the use of Trick Room. I think i've made a good team despite having to use Greedent and I hope you enjoy it!

SD Greedent Balance!
:sv/greedent: :sv/rotom: :sv/klinklang: :sv/palossand: :sv/appletun: :sv/articuno:
(click the mons for the pokepaste)

This team is primarily built around Greedent, so I had to make sure the set was good enough to carry the team. I noticed early on that one of Greedents biggest problems for a set like this is status, so instead of running a move like Body Slam, I'm running Facade to punish mons such as Miltank and Altaria who want to toxic me. Facade + Crunch + Earthquake gives me perfect coverage, and I choose SD over Belly Drum because I wanted the extra bulk so i can stay around longer and break the team easier. EV wise, the speed is to outspeed mons such as Palossand and Cofagrigus so I can outspeed and hit them with crunch before they either Earth Power or Body Press me.

Rotom was next, I thought an offensive pivot would be great for this team to allow Greedent more opportunities to come in on mons such as Miltank who really don't like to face Greedent. It also creates some VoltTurn action with Appletun and Articuno, which is neat to create even more chances for Greedent and other teammates to get in. Rotom is also a nice check to Poliwrath, who is actually pretty good against Greedent. It is also this teams speed control and Trick is always valuable to cripple mons such as Gunfisk and Stunfisk who would be problematic for our next team member, Klinklang.

Klinklang is this teams cleaner after SD Greedent has broken down the opposing team, I have found that not many people expect Greedent to OHKO Miltank after a SD and Toxic so removing that as a check for Klinklang can open it up, as well as beating the other two problems, Gunfisk and Stunfisk. Shift Gear allows it to boost its speed up to points where it is really hard to revenge kill and afterwards can just spam Gear Grind to clean up the opposing team.

Next, we have our first member of our defensive core on this team, Palossand. I thought it would be a good idea to have a fighting immune mon on this team to help Greedent with mons such as Sawk who threaten to revenge and OHKO it after it has killed a mon. Palossand also gives this team a Stealth Rock user who stays around thanks to its passive recovery, unlike mons such as Stunfisk, Rhydon, and Gunfisk. This does make my Rotom MU worse but I have some mons in the back to deal with Rotom better, and Greedent itself checks Rotom if it is locked into Shadow Ball.

Appletun is next, it is another member who can pivot on this team with Eject Pack + Draco Meteor and is the Fire Resist on this team as we have two team members who are weak to Fire Types. This allows Appletun to deal with the otherwise problematic Rapidash, who stops Klinglang in its tracks and threatens out Articuno, as well as being able to chunk Greedent with a Flare Blitz. Otherwise, this mons Grass Typing is nice for mons such as Thwackey who can revenge Greedent and Rotom, Poliwrath and other mons.

Articuno is next, this mon functions as a defogger for this team as well as more pivots to help our chonky boi Greedent. It is a nice general special wall for this team who can answer mons such as Jynx. Nothing else to say really, just good old Articuno.

I've noticed this team can have a bit of trouble with mons such as Sableye and Cofagrigus, who both can deal with Klinklang and Greedent, so be wary of those two. it might be worth it to get rid of Klinklang and use Alcremie instead, but i love Klinklang too much to remove it ;(

But, if you really want to improve the MU vs these two, here is an alternate team with Alcremie instead

:sv/alcremie:
(click the cake for pokepaste :3)
That's it from me, I hope you enjoy the Team!

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/48941eb5bf93434f
Introduction
edit: everytime im saying farfetch but i mean -the only existing- the galar tchad
Why do we play pokemon?

whywhywhy.jpg

That's alright Tuthur. I can tell in the name of the entire zu community that we all hate babys, that's why ihave no problem to build around a LC pokemon even if you can always find a better actual zu mon to use at his place. i accepted to build around :farfetch because of his good attack(for a lc pokemon), his good coverage (for a lc pokemon) and because he is better than sawk for real LOL (sawk is bald too)

II THE TEAM

santatut.jpg

I don't want to do my "captain obvious guy" but we all know that you have some natural chance in your life and in your zu tournament games. wheni see a Farfetch’d critting i am like "wow i feel im seeing tuthur"! this pokemon is created for you ! only a true hipster like tuthur could hard Farfetch’d and crit the next turn! and you don't need a bad sawk that smells when you can crit every turn!

The rest of the team is also really cool !for example black glasses skuntank is really cool and dark !

The rest of the team

:rotom:
Ok this is not cool, really classic but i have built a true team and when you build around any LC Pokemon that is currently unranked on the SS ZU VR you need to addlike 4 zu titans to compensate. scarf rotom, can defog and thats really cool because after a defog there is no more haze in your mind! uwu

:miltank:
The second hipster of the team. i have never seen a cow do that for real, its a good tank, he can procrastinate and drink his own milk! After using miltank you will finishing vegetarian for real! oh and he has seismic toss.

:qwilfish:
One of the hipstiest things you can do in your life is eat some venimous fugu and esperating survive! if iwas living in zu world i would eat some qwilfish with some rice every friday lol. If you eat wrong some fugu you can becoming paralized, and qwilfish has Thunder wave. thatis not a coincidence ! (i let you imagine why he has spike LOL)

:rapidash:
A normal person would just see a horse running away from aburning farm, but since i have seen a "rapidash x rainbow dash fanfiction" on rulez something, i only see my psychologist telling me to explain the T34 when he uses megahorn on... on azelf too, thats why rapidash is one of the best zu sweepers i guess.

:skuntank:
black glasses skuntank is really cool and dark ! he has some dark cool moves like sasuke but he is better since black glasses increases his cool attitude.

Conclusion
Its a good normal team but with a farfetch. Happy santa to everyone !

i love you Tuthur <3

Last edited:

diegoyuhhi

our shared past and our lost future
is a Pre-Contributor
merry christmas zu!
plznostep asked me to build a team around belly drum eiscue, and after a lot of struggle (this mon sucks ass more than what i thought) i've been able to create something... maybe

EISCUE HYPER OFFENSE

click on mons for paste

:eiscue: the star of the show i guess. sub + bd to activate salac berry and get a speed boost while still being slow as fuck, hoping that in the meantime your opponent does not attack you with a special attack or even better attacks you with a physical move to turn into the faceless form which can actually do something maybe. ice + water looked like the best coverage.

:uxie: suicide lead. rocks, magic coat to prevent opposing rocks or whatever else, and yawn + memento to give momentum and setup opportunities to teammates. you could fit uturn to keep momentum more than one time but idk what you'd remove.

:silvally-grass: i really like this mon on hos. can work both as a breaker and as a cleaner, and grass + rock + fire is amazing coverage that can hit most of the tier. pretty straight forward mon.

:skuntank: i decided then to add a special setup attacker and skuntank was a perfect pick, dealing with certain mons like cofag and sableye that most of my team has an hard time against. taunt over corrosive gas cause you dont really need that long term crippling, stopping recoveries and getting more setup opportunities is by far better.

:combusken: bit of a meme pick but this mon is genuinely a pretty good hyper offense mon, helping to break common cores in a way no other mon can do, and can also work as a late game cleaner. jolly cause otherwise you're slower than rapidash at +1 but adamant can be used too. brick break over coverage to beat miltank.

:electivire: yet another kinda meme pick but aoa electivire fits really well on this team, being a neat anti meta mon weakening down cores for the rest of the team. expert belt over life orb to better bluff choice items and to stay alive longer, and you still get the boost most of the time since most attacks you click are supereffective. would love to run other moves like ice punch or darkest lariat too but 4mss is strong here.

aaand that was the team. it turned out to be quite decent despite everything, and although it struggles with some mons like qwilfish you can use certain mons to weaken these hard mus and finish them off with other mons. ty again to plznostep for making me build this team and happy holidays to everybody! :heart:

Merry Christmas BloodAce! This year you asked for a team with CB Flapple and HDB Morpeko. Mirbro must have given me this on purpose as ZU's resident luckiest player and manager of the morpeekaboos. You are also getting lucky this though though as I have built 2 teams! Defiantly because I'm a generous guy and love teambuilding and not because I couldn't build a good team around this core so I built 2 meh ones.

:flapple::morpeko::silvally::Thievul::uxie::seaking:
So to start off with the main focus of the first team, CB Flapple. Nothing special here, just used the standard set but with Outrage over Draco Meteor because who needs special attacks, your a CB Apple and you want hit hard with your physical moves. Next up I slapped Morpeko on, just the standard utility set as requested. Silvally-Poison was added next, giving the team switchins to big threats in Tangela and Alcremie. The SD set was chosen over Defog due to Morpeko having having Rapid Spin. Thievul was next up on the block, giving the team a strong special attacker and taking advantage of morpeko and flapple pivoting on Tangela. Uxie then provides the team with Stealth Rocks, a secondary fighting resist and yet another pivot. Finally to round out the team I added Regigigas Seaking and the team needed an Electric immune to not get pivoted on itself and also a Klinklang check, the funky eves are from an old zupl team with Scald always breaking sub. So yeah that's the first team, basically a poorly done VoltTurn that looses to Eggy and strong special mons.

:flapple::morpeko::Qwilfish::rotom::stunfisk-galar::tangela:
As I wasn't that pleased with the first here is the 2nd. This time I went for a more balanced approach. Flapple and Morpeko and the same sets as the first time but this time I chose Qwilfish as my Poison-type. A defensive set with spikes was chosen to complement Morpeko ability to threaten any ghost-types trying to spinblock. Having spikes support also means than Flapple's switchins are even more limited than before. Next I added Rotom because I'm addicted to that mon as my own spinblocker and to provide some speed and special firepower to the team. Stunfisk-galar was the rocker of choice over regualr stunfisk to ease to Jynx matchup and also to threaten Defog users like Altaria and Articuno thank to its curse set with Rock Slide. Lastly Tangela was added as a blanket physical wall and access to Knock Off removing those pesky Heavy Duty Boots allowing spikes to do their job.

Merry Christmas 5gen! You wanted a Kadabra team and I baked one up.

KADABRA + PIGEON PRESSURE

:Kadabra: :Unfezant: :Articuno: :Stunfisk-Galar: :Sableye: :Miltank:
(click on mons 4 paste)

The idea behind the team is to use Unfezant as an enabler to absolutely nuke most mons that give Kadabra issues. Then, once its checks and counters are low, Kadabra can come in with its nasty Life Orb boosted Psychics and finish games. Articuno provides hazard removal and U-turn to bring in the team's 2 breakers safely. Sableye and Gunfisk provide a strong Klinklang counter as well as voltblock. Sableye can also put a stop to setup sweepers which can prove vital through out a match. Miltank is just a busted mon and it provides Cleric support.

That's pretty much all I got, sorry if it was too short. I hope you enjoy the team, Kadabra is a super cool cleaner. Thanks for providing motivation, I've always wanted to build around Kadabra. Lastly, Merry Christmas!

Oh! I almost forgot the replay! The team worked to perfection in this match.

Last edited:

5gen

jumper
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Happy holidays to you too TomatoZause. I received your submission and here is what I came up with:

:accelgor::rhydon::sableye::rotom::sawk::rapidash:

Your Accelgor set immediately made me think of going the entry hazard stack route. Since Accelgor cannot pressure entry hazard removers on its own, I paired it with SR+SD Rhydon. Rhydon's spread has some more Attack and Speed investment than the standard set to pressure Defoggers a bit better and to outcreep opposing SR Rhydon. Taunt Sableye was added to prevent Defog and Rapid and to check physical attackers such as Sawk and Qwilfish. From here, the team needed offensive Pokemon that can take advantage of entry hazards, keep up pressure, break, and check a lot of the meta. I ended up with Choice Scarf Rotom, HDB Taunt Sawk, and SD Rapidash. Two of the three are standard. This Sawk set aims to pressure walls such as Palossand, Alcremie, and Qwilfish that could otherwise check it well. It also lets you to Taunt Altaria, Articuno, and Cramorant on a predicted switch to keep SR and Spikes up.

This team is not the easiest to use and I tried going a bulkier route (could try lure Alcremie>Eggy), but ultimately I feel that this Accelgor set works best on teams that can keep up pressure and play around hazards. There aren't really any entry hazard removers that lend themselves well to hazard stack teams such as this, so I figured it would be best to play the hazards game and go from there. With Sableye and Sawk, you can often shut down opposing entry hazard setters well enough. Some threats to the team include Silvally-Poison, Jynx, and Rotom. The former two are especially troublesome if you give them free turns.

Hope you enjoy the team!

UberSkitty

Assist Skitty was banned from NatDex Ubers
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
ho-ho-ho, diego_yuhhi
heatmorsantahat.png

:heatmor::jynx::clefairy::palossand::morpeko::thwackey:
(click sprites for pokepaste)​
You asked for Specs Heatmor, and I have come to deliver. The team went through a lotta phases, even considered restarting a couple times lol, but I like how it ended up and I hope you do too. With all the pivot moves in the team, they're useful for getting Heatmor or Jynx on the field to cause chaos. I must say, while testing this team a couple times, I've really warmed up (pun not intended) to Heatmor. It's fun to just come in and click Fire Blast when they don't have an Altaria or Miltank.
:heatmor:
I decided to add this to the team, well, because that was the whole point. Usual Specs moveset, not sure about the last slot so I just put Knock Off for baiting stuff like Altaria. Could probably put something else in that last slot like Flamethrower for accuracy or Scorching Sands for random coverage.
:jynx:
This mon quickly came to mind as a partner for Heatmor, being a prime offensive Qwilfish check while also providing speed control, Trick, and some extra special offense to help wear down those walls. Being a good mon in general also helps. Then I found out you liked Jynx in this meta so that was a coincidental bonus.
:clefairy:
Wanted something to switch into that infamous Heatmor wall that is Altaria, so here's Clefairy. I mainly decided to use it over Alcreamie for its pivot options, Teleport and Healing Wish. Should note that Healing Wish+Soft-Boiled can be used over Teleport+Moonlight.
:palossand:
Palossand and Clefairy make for a great defensive core. Palossand also offers a lotta roles otherwise missing, between a Stealth Rock user, physical wall, Fighting check, and volt-blocker.
:morpeko:
Gotta have some hazard removal, especially on a team with HDB-less Heatmor and Jynx. Morpeko's naturally high Speed can be usuful at times, with the only other relatively fast mon being Jynx, and Parting Shot helps bring in the stronk mons. Its typing also offers some useful resistances, like Ghost, Psychic, and Flying.
:thwackey:
Thwackey fills in a lot of leftover roles, between a setup mon, priority, and physical wallbreaker. It helps specifically against Ground mons, especially those relying on EQ. It also gives another pivot move and Knock Off user.

And that is the team, I hope you like it and also the penguin wrapping paper I put it in. Merry Christmas to you as well as Mirbro for putting this event thingy together!

1671708665286.png
Merry sexy Christmas!
1671708700956.png

This year I got the honor of building for one of my favorite ZUers and one of our Room Owners! He did ask for a shitty very good DD Altaria + Klinklang core that kinda gave me a headache to make work. But I am happy with the final result. Hope you enjoy it wooper

Building Process

:altaria::klinklang::qwilfish:
Altaria takes a lot of support to actually get going so I thought it'd work better as a cleaner. Klinklang wasn't gonna break on its own so I added Adamant SD Qwilfish to help soften the opposition for a late-game Altaria and help Klinklang maybe do the same.

:altaria::klinklang::qwilfish::tangela::cryogonal::rhydon: - the pokepaste is included for this one
This ended up as my first draft after i added a defensive core. It didnt work much because the team ended up relying too much on Qwilfish to handle some threats like Klinklang and the team ended up a bit slow, with the only forms of speed control being Cryogonal and Aqua Jet Qwilfish. I also added Knock on Cryo somewhere in between to help vs Jynx, which kinda steamrolled this.

Final Version

:altaria::klinklang::qwilfish::gourgeist:(small):cryogonal::stunfisk:
This version worked as the best one since Gourgeist-Small helps with speed control and can Trick a scarf to disrupt the opposing team even more for Altaria. Stunfisk helps deal with Klinklang and gives Cryogonal much needed help on dealing with special threats.

Some replays of the team mostly losing

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1744030980-zh42fx90mdots7jn4qwa2qgsv5tmctbpw - loss vs 5Dots using Jynx with old version
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1746304994-b8xlh02vviab8lt8fdnjejefxuzq4a9pw - Moral win for me after Toto haxed me
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1747430719-iaxmxqva0bmd3qkhgtto5j4kuvdexy0pw - Me getting volturned on by Corthius
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8zu-1750355885-uqfc9uoyisuv7drbdavrbsz0s30r3j0pw - W vs Toto where Altaria was likely cleaning but I forgot Rocky Helmet existed (am washed sry)

Bonus artwork made by me
woop.png

Last edited:

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Merry Christmas Jett! I was your secret Santa and you requested to build around Silvally-Rock:
SecretSanta.png

While I do nickname my Pokemon at times, I will not name Silvally-Rock this time, because I am old and evil (in fact, you could consider me the Grinch of Pokemon).

In any case, Silvally-Rock is cool since it has several qualities over other Rock-types:
  1. It's the fastest in the tier (meaning it can outrun threats like non-Scarf Rotom and Sawk and Speed tie with Silvally formes and Jynx)
  2. It can viably run mixed and special sets (has great special movepool and Work Up, not as good as Fighting Vally at doing so)
  3. It's immune to Trick (minor)
:ss/Silvally-Rock:
Decided to run a SD set instead of what I mentioned above. It has acceptable coverage options to get by and can perform the role of a good cleaner late-game. Though most other Silvally formes are better at performing Swords Dance sweepers, RockVally has the advantage of more immediately threatening Flying-types like Altaria and Articuno. Rock also can be used to switch into Pokemon like Skuntank and Rapidash in a pinch. I ran with Psychic Fangs as my coverage move deals more damage against Fighting-types like Poliwrath and Throh. Flame Charge was needed to outpace Scarf Rotom, Rapidash, and other Silvally formes after a boost.
:ss/Thwackey:
Thwackey fits in every team that is not fat and stall. These two pair nicely together, as Silvally-Rock offers a Fire-, Flying- and Poison-resist while Thwackey shields Silvally-Rock from Water- and Grass-type attacks. It also makes Silvally-Rock less vulnerable to Earthquake, scares off Ground-types like Stunfisk and Rhydon, and provides a helpful Knock Off + U-turn user. The extra healing from Grassy Terrain can be beneficial later on. Thwackey can clean up late-game if Silvally-Rock after the latter has eliminated or severely weakened annoying Flying-types like Altaria and Articuno, and vice versa for Grasses.
:ss/Stunfisk:
I wanted insurance against Volt Switch users (and especially Nasty Plot Rotom and Swords Dance users), a special wall, and a solid Klinklang answer; Stunfisk was great at providing that. It also annoys various bulky Pokemon with Toxic and allows it to meaningfully pressure Articuno in the long run. Discharge could be used over Foul Play for more pressure against Cramorant and defensive Poliwrath but Toxic already annoyed them in the first place.
:ss/Miltank:
Gave enough Speed to outrun Rotom and gave it a secondary Toxic user to rack up pressure. Miltank was my cleric, general wall (and by extension, physical wall), and Grass immunity so that it could reliably switch into Tangela and Thwackey. Miltank was great and whittling down bulky teams while being a great wall on its own. It could also run Thick Fat for a better Rapidash and Ninetales matchup but generally speaking the Grass immunity is what I wanted more.
:ss/Articuno:
Rather than go for a physically defensive Pokemon, I chose to make Articuno my mixed wall. It was my Defogger and second Grass check, and more immediately pressures them compared to Miltank. Unlike traditional Articuno sets, this one was more physically defensive and more of a mixed wall that was faster than usual sets. This has enough Speed to outrun Flapple and Adamant Shiftry while living any hit from any Jynx set.
:ss/Rotom:
My team was slow outside of Thwackey and maybe Miltank; Scarf Rotom was nice in providing helpful Speed control so threats like Scarf Sawk and other Rotom wouldn't take the initiative so easily. Thunderbolt was mostly a stronger STAB attack, so I went in an replaced it with Will-O-Wisp to provide general utility against physical attackers like Rhydon. The other moves I considered going for was either Pain Split for longevity or Defog as emergency hazard removal.

I also went over other variations of the team. I still preferred the original team, but if you like, feel free to try them out!
:Rock Memory: :Thwackey: :Trevenant: :Jynx: :Klinklang: :Stunfisk: (Variation 1)
:Rock Memory: :Qwilfish: :Stunfisk-Galar: :Miltank: :Articuno: :Rotom: (Variation 2)

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Merry Christmas Corthius! You asked for a team around shed shell Falinks.
https://pokepast.es/599501c1e5ceab5c
I may not be the best at describing this so bear with me for a bit :)
First up, we got falinks. No Retreat gives it a good amount of all its stats and it can bail on any bad matchup. Can beat KK, Miltank and Cuno, making it a threat to a lot of bulky mons.
Next, we got Crustle. Other than being a rock setter, it has a fun combo with a later friend. Shell Smash makes it very strong and can ohko a knocked tangela.
Now for the main gimmick. Its Liepard Copycat. Liepard can copy either no retreat or shell smash, tho its much easier to copy shell smash. It becomes very fast and decently offensive. Burning Jelasouy lets it beat a kk setting up, or anything setting up that resists dark or fairy.
KK is there because its a good balancer. Its strong and is just generally good.
Accelgor sets t spikes to make it easier for no retreat to be copied
And rapid spin is cryos main purpose, as well as water types.
Im sorry if its a wall of text, i had a lot of fun building this and i hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
:xy/accelgor::xy/beartic:
The Rain Before Christmas

T'was the night before Christmas, and while the jank teams conspired,

Accelgor (:accelgor:) and Beartic (:beartic:) were bundled snug by the fire.

Hoping that rain would wash out their cold tears,

But Damp Rock would not be arriving this year.

And while things looked quite dull, as the felled tree was bare,

Manectric (:manectric:) arrived, with lights to spare.

With accurate Thunder leaving 'Cunos quite miffed,

And Switcheroo Specs sending Stunfisks adrift.

As the fire was fading- down into a slumber,

A knock at the door- Gourgeist (:gourgeist:) with some lumber.

with a Will-O-Wisp bringing the fire alight,

Leech Seed-ing some Klinklangs- to the whole team's delight.

As Uxies and Rhydons dropped Stealth Rocks galore-

Kabutops (:kabutops:) debuted, leaving hazards no more.

a Mintly jank special- a false rain sweeper,

Setting Rain Dance and Stealth Rocks, it need not be cheaper.

Last, but not least, was one player's all favored,

Silvally-Fighting (:silvally:) entered, which was something to savor.

A bulky resist, to Ice and Bug's biggest foe,

And a gift in the sleigh, an Explosion to show.

So while the six snuggled in, their house now a home,

A rain team was built, they were no longer alone.

While they weren't the best, no ladder to ascend,

There's nothing better than being with friends.

:accelgor::beartic::manectric::gourgeist::kabutops::silvally:
(Click Sprites for Pokepaste)

Happy Holidays CaydenButBubbles?!
You asked me to make a rain team focused around Accelgor and Beartic
Rain without Damp Rock makes me want to cry, so I went ahead and added my own spin.
I don't have the sets, but there were quite a few Pokemon who almost made the cut... yikes!
(:mr-rime: :seaking: :armaldo: :anorith:)
I hope you at least enjoy it!

-Mintly ❤

Jett

gn gobodachis
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Berry Christmas!

With such an obvious pun, no prizes for guessing who I had the pain pleasure of building for this Christmas; however we do have one lucky winner OranBerryBlissey10 who will receiving not one but two teams (if you're willing to call the second one a team) as their present. Of course he isn't that lucky as I also demand for him to be demoted from Room Owner with immediate effect given he chose such an awful mon for me to build around, but I'm happy to dismiss charges if this post at least 15 reacts within the next 24 hours. With that aside let's delve into how I built the teams.

I was tasked with building around:
1671881603119.png

Specifically, OBB wanted me to build around the Substitute set which had gained some traction during the previous months of tournament play. I still think this Pokemon is utter garbage but I guess it punishes Articuno spammers if nothing else (unless they run Haze)

1671881603119.png
1671881809851.png
1671881767710.png

Then I added the most boring core in existance. Palossand + Miltank; but they provide reliable support for Regice due to their typing, and role compression with Stealth Rock and Heal Bell. Initially I had Thick Fat Miltank here but later on I switched to Sap Sipper because I prefer not to completely get bopped by Thwackey, and I thought Palossand and one of the later additions could handle Rapidash well enough.

1671881603119.png1671881809851.png1671881767710.png 1671882017590.png:ss/thwackey: 1671882996060.png
(Click icons for team 1)
It's at this point where I remember generation 8 Pokemon don't have shuffle sprites so we make do with a vibing Thwackey. Anyways SD Qwilfish and SD Thwackey both benefit greatly from a Pokemon that can punish Articuno or all Flying-types for that matter for the latter, so pairing them with Regice made sense. Then I decided to steal TWiTT tech to make this team more interesting and add Steel Roller to Qwilfish which OHKOs Articuno after a Swords Dance. Dropping Aqua Jet tho does mean this team lacks a bit of speed outside of Thwackey's Grassy Glide; Aqua Jet is certainly nicer for the Rapidash matchup but definitely not as cool. Lastly, this team needs some hazard control and I went with Rotom due to its utility fitting this team quite well. I later noticed this team is just 5/6 a Danny team so I went ahead and made another team which is more scuffed than this one cause most sequels are.

1671881603119.png1671884757084.png:ss/Thwackey:1671884776997.png 1671885999172.png1671882996060.png
(Oh look funny Thwackey again)
(Click icons for team 2)
Approach number two involved starting off with a Regice Altaria Thwackey core since Tuthur told me to. Stunfisk this time around since as promise we don't want to lose vs Skuntank and running Foul Play so NP Sub Rotom can't just setup freely. Skuntank Thwackey is a wellknown core that works great into Gunfisk but also helps a lot with the Alcremie matchup. Lastly, Rotom's here again but this time using a Choice Scarf set for some much needed Speed control. We'll just ignore the existance of Rhydon for this team since I've ran out of time it seems in figuring out how to swap Thwackey into a Tangela and reshuffle things... (Basically stick to the first team).

Hope you enjoy the teams OBB, although you better start shilling this post like crazy to save yourself from demotion!

Merry Christmas ZU!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)