Resource SS UU Crown Tundra Viability Ranking Thread

Celesteela to A+

Now that UU has found new staples in Scizor and Hippowdown, keeping them in check has become invaluable.

Defensive Celesteela performs this role brilliantly, only fearing knock off from Scizor while being immune to anything Hippowdon lacking whirlwind throws at it.

Offensive sets, while less consistent against Scizor, can use Hippowdon as a setup fodder which it can generally take advantage of with autotomize. It can then proceed to sweep if its checks have been removed.

-> B

it has established itself as a good lead on HO teams as it can beat most anti leads due to its high speeds and is usually paired with a pokemon that can deal with jirachi HO leads such as celesteela, cobalion, aegislash, etc and it can generate such huge momentum with spikes + destiny bond and can potentially make the game 5-5 instead of 5-6 and HO teams have seen such a huge amount of usage during UULT being spammed pretty often on it and showing a lot of success throught the weeks which is enough evidence to rise it up a tier or 2 which I believe 2 tiers is good as it is much better than most of the C+ pokemon

:articuno:
C to C+
Sounds about right considering Hippowdon is just the most perfect thing that could've happened for Articuno, its a completely abusable hazard setter that can't do jack to stop it by itself while also making things like Excadrill less common and raises the viability of its best friend Skarm. As a result we've seen more spikes stacking stall teams this UULT that also use articuno to suffocate hazard removal options and I think a rise should reflect that.

:Tentacruel:
A- to A
Might be overselling but I like Tenta better, we've been seeing more skarm teams and keldeo is rising up in popularity which by extension means that primarina is also better, all of things cruel likes seeing. It can also kind of sort of but not really but also maybe check Scizor with scald burns, which is usually enough to at least keep them willing to swap it out unless they want to risk it for some reason.

-> B-

fine drew... im sold on lycanroc-d being bad.... the meta is awful for it and it has rarely ever accomplished anything as it has no usage in UUFPL II and throught the ladder tournament it has seen nul usage being cripple by spikes + stealth rocks cutting into it. Hippo, scizor, aegi, amoonguss, skarmory, tangrowth, zydog, azelf, scarf diggersby, azu, and some more they all make it very tough for lycanroc-d to do anything without making hard hard reads in which is risky as hell and any pokemon can become good if they hard read their opponent 24/7. Lycanroc-d fails to accomplish much against bulky teams with hippo and is very prediction reliant to force progress... and is pretty much and is exclusive as anti-HO tech which is weird cuz it still saw nul usage during UU ladder tour when offensive teams were spammed...

I finished getting reqs for the Aegislash test, with my experience prompting me to make/second several nominations based on it + watching UULT games.

to A: Keldeo is surprisingly very tough to switch into without a certain set of Pokemon. Amoonguss and Salamence gets broken past quite easily with two Hydros with slight chip. Beyond sheer power, a super valuable speed tier outspeeding Thundurus, Zarude, and Nihilego and being a Bullet Punch resist makes Keldeo really potent in the current meta. I like Flip Turn a lot to bring in Thundurus, Scizor, or Aegi to handle the few stuff it loses to in Slowking, AV Tangrowth, and Primarina. I've used Flip Turn + Toxic sets that act as a pivot that can cripple typical counters like Slowking and Assault Vest Tangrowth as well as CM 3 attacks on hyper offense. With Lots of usage as of late and being a great help to wallbreak early or clean late-game when I was gunning for reqs, Keldeo should rise to A.
to A: Echoing with Lily said, Moltres is tough to switch into. Fire + Flying is strong as usual and when you're not trying to switch this into a Scizor's Knock Off Moltres can last a fair bit of time throughout a game. Sets with HP investment aren't too crazy with sand Chip putting you in range of Zarude's lariat anyway, so investing more in fire power is the right move. Even so super bulky sets with Toxic are great options to lure Hippowdon. Beating the common Iron Defense Skarmory and many defensive staples like Amoonguss, Tangrowth, and even Hippowdon if it takes slight chip, plus having Flame Body to cripple Scizor and Zarude, Moltres should rise back up to A.
to A: I've talked about this before but post Galarian Moltres Azelf has returned to be a dominant threat. It does the same old pivot thing as before, though now it doesn't have to worry about becoming setup bait. Most scizor not running max attack means azelf can eat a Bullet Punch here and there and threaten it with a fire move. It also takes advantage of growing presences like Skarmory and Keldeo. It feels weird to say "mon gets banned so x should rise" but imo Galarian Moltres being broken was the main cause for Azelf's drop and with it gone I believe it should rise back up.
to A-: Gyarados is super dangerous right now, without a Skarmory or Mandibuzz you definitely have to play a lot of guessing games against this. It can setup on the increasingly popular Keldeo as well as resist Bullet Punch, giving Gyarados more merits on hyper offense teams. The amount of teams I've seen Gyarados just own is incredibly high. The aforementioned birds aren't even truly safe, getting broken past by Mystic Water Waterfalls if Gyarados gets a lucky flinch. B+ very much undersells this and it can have a field day right now with the disrespect towards it, even with Skarmory being prominent, so a rise to A- is appropriate.
to A-/B+: NP Togekiss is legit crazy good right now, I used to hate this mon so much but then I discovered the Flamethrower set and that changed everything. Providing an integral switch-in to Hydreigon and Zarude while having an move combination that every mon hates barring Nihilego makes Togekiss really tough to handle, especially for slower teams. With enough bulk you can turn stuff like Slowking into setup fodder and flinch many slower threats down. I've beaten Chansey with this set even without Heal Bell as well as catch so many Scizor thinking they get free setup on it with Flamethrower. Helped me a lot with getting reqs against stuff like Chinese Regi even and I could go far enough to saying it could go to A-, but that may be too much. Regardless, super good Pokemon that B vastly undersells.
to B+: Hatterene is super good right now. It shuts down Skarmory and Hippowdon and punishes the ever so common Scizor Steel-type teams. All 3 of these being meta is huge for Hatterene. CM sets can get out of hand if not shut down quickly and takes advantage of a lot of staples like Slowking and Salamence. It's slow and opens you up to Hydreigon, but shutting down Skarmory is great enough to rise it to B+. Choice Specs is also a cool set that is very tough to switch into.
to C+: A small rise but Seismitoad has a few niches over main competition in Hippowdon and Swampert. The first one is more ladder related but it can switch into Darmanitan really nicely with it being spammed very much on the mid ladder. It really helped me get through the early stages. Beyond this, it completely blanks Rotom-W and dissuades rising threat Keldeo from clicking Water-type moves, making it beneficial against mons that are popular in tours as well. It's not the greatest, as it's not that bulky and I tended to overestimate it a fair bit, but even though I was a huge hater of it in the past C+ is a fair rise.
from B+ to B,
from C+ to B: Noivern is pretty solid these days, I tried Lily's sample a fair bit on my first few reqs runs and it did alright, stupidly fast and threatens most of our fast staples. Synergizes with spikes, makes momentum cores, can switch into Keldeo and force it out akin to how Crobat can do the same to Zarude gives it good enough merits to escape C+ into B. Crobat meanwhile was a bit overranked, it doesn't really switch into much and without Taunt it's pretty mediocre. This is worsened by the fact Taunt is hard to fit since you otherwise have to be paired with Excadrill for removal to avoid type stacking. I'd say they're on par with each other to the point where they both should be in B.
to UR: This has an incredibly limited niche post Galarian Moltres. Nihilego is just far better, being a lot more offensively potent thanks to its speed and Knock Off making it the better support mon. I'd argue it checks Thundurus, Moltres, and Special attacking Salamence just as good or even better than Diancie does because of the ability to punish a switch-in with Knock Off or coverage. Diancie's only real niche is beating Choice Specs Hydreigon but even then it has to watch out for Flash Cannon. Fire coverage for Scizor is cool but Scizor can get in range of Nihilego's Power Gem a lot of the time. It barely survived the vote even when Galarian Moltres was in the tier, but with it leaving so has Diancie's viability as Nihilego is just too good.
Other nominations I agree with but won't write much about are
to A+,
to B+,
to B,
to B,
to C+, and
to C+

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Pretty short post just gonna cover a few things, will plan to probably do a much bigger post after Aegi suspect on some certain things, especially mons like Glowbro that i love atm and think is very underrated between CM sets and options like Trick Sludge 2a (that really just causes absolute havoc everywhere, enjoy your slowking taking an extra 12% chip a turn with sand and hazards all adding up too, makes switching in initially to it absolutely disgusting while still doing all the super juicy early-mid game stuff cm sets do but trading end-game cleaning for most early devastation) but would have much stronger arguements to rise if Aegi goes imo.

:celesteela: -> A+

Absolutely agree with a rise on this. It's something i've been fairly vocal about in VR chat but this mon is absolutely amazing. People have talked a lot about how its offensive sets are superb and really really strong into Hippo teams, often forcing some uncomfortable checks like Rotom-W, WW Hippo (which i rly dislike dropping toxic on honestly so means like running a nihi alongside realistically), but I adore its defensive sets rn too. With people feeling Aegi is broken rn I find it to be one of the most splashable checks to that mon in general, but it does amazingly into other stuff like Scizor too as softer checks and is just very annoying to play around.

I think what really gives value to defensive steela rn is to take the Toxic > Protect routes, while these sets do end up not being as reliable into stuff like Aegislash they provide so much more overall utility into opposing teams, throwing Toxic's onto so many crucial defensive Pokemon like Hippo / Mence / Slowking / Molt is just ridiculous for the plethora of mons who can take advantage of it, and it really helps cement it as a less passive threat while still being nightmarish defensively. Protect sets are still solid for sure too but I think you can build really fascinating cool builds around the Toxic Steela route that abuse this hard, especially featuring our ghosts, (Sub2aKS mixed Aegi is basically a combo of SdKS and SubTox with this mon paired with it, boots chandy is rly danger too). No protect is still a fine enough long term check to subtox aegi too realistically.

:articuno: -> C+

This mon is crazy good on stall teams now honestly, sitting on Hippowdon constantly is so amazing and heal bell compression really opens up your options manifold, between dropping hippo as some people have done or looking at cool options on chansey now that its completely freed up like covet / wish / protect etc. Absurdly good SubTox aegi counter which is really nice to not let it just whittle away at you, and it really opens up the Spikes SemiStall routes that have been seeing use for UULT with its ability to hasten away Defogs from opposing stuff like Mence that like can't *actually* touch you so that spikes stay up so much quicker. Beating hippo as a setter is so good in general for bulkier teams, hippo is obviously notoriously good at annying removers and sand isn't fun either.

:jellicent: -> C+

This would be a new addition onto the VR in this case but this mon has seen some UULT and UUFPL exploration and has some really neat niches that make it a practical option for teams, both on those spike stacking semi stall kinda builds but also on more traditional balancey buids like meri showcased in UUFPL.

-> Mon walls Keldeo (specs and subcm, will lose to cm 3a)
-> Ghost-types are always cool but Taunt + stuff makes it a threatening breaker that can shut down a load of stuff and spread status around
-> Taunt pairs amazingly with hazards and its ability to rly irritate removers while spinblocking too, cursed body can amplify its ability to really pester a lot of stuff that might try and sit on it but can't directly break it too.
-> Acts a p nice check to some other top tier stuff, very good at checking Scizor with fast Willo and a bp resistance, checks SD coba amazingly, can sit on celesteela, spinblock against exca and pester it, pester slowking and stop it getting free teleports around esp against future port while being punishing to bring physical breakers in to abuse it cause of willo.

The practical applications of alll of this on especially Spike Stack semi stall with articuno are amazing, you end up with a great keldeo answer to sit alongside chansey and the like, a breaker that really tears open defensive backbones alongside spikes, and it has amazing synergy with cuno being able to check ghosts and clear it of any status it might pick up such as Toxic from Skarmory, (Sludge Bomb poisons from amoonguss / Tentacruel etc.) Obviously this acts as a bit of a slowking comtemporary on these builds, you lose out on ability to beat cm3a keldeo but it offers way more immediate breaking power compared to cm slowking who plays a much longer game, and its much less initially weak to stuff like Aegi / Tang while being able to shut off some annoying stuff like Skarmory's spikes etc.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen8uu-627614 - Meri's UUFPL team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8uu-1579268991 - Not an amazing replay by any stretch, I was exhausted irl while playing this and kinda played bits of it p bad but it does demonstrate some of what Jelli can really do.

https://pokepast.es/c844df46cdf7d841 - Team i've been running it on (bonus points to ppl who spot Dr. Who references)

army of ghosts (Jellicent) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Recover

Been running this set on it though Night Shade is certainly a decent option too. Speed to make sure you are faster than Skarmory and stuff.

:noivern: Rise

Definitely agree with this, mon is insanely good with the rise of Spikes in general and how good Hippo is at keeping rocks up, speedy threat that checks Keldeo etc is super valuable rn and it definitely adds a lot of pressure to stuff like Hippo / Slokwing that would traditionally check it with pivoting around on it etc causing them to take annoying chip damage. Ends up serving as a fantastic glue to some Spikes builds to me and just great all round offensive enabler and speed control.

Dusk lycanrock is a great banded revenge killer in the tier but relying on accelrock for that job doesnt help it much by getting beaten by tangrowth amoonguss and steels. The life orb sets give it the ability to kill amoonguss with psychic fangs and aegislash with crunch but doesnt pack the same punch so I agree with the decision to move it down to b-

Registeel -> B+

Regardless of what people think its clear that registeel can win on preview and even be a huge threat in some games. It has shown that many teams can be swept by it instantly once it comes in and it gets many opportunities to setup such as on amoonguss, tang, scarf drei, 3 attacks scizor, CB azu locked into anything but liqudation, prim that is not choiced locked into hydro pump or encore, rotom-w, salamence, slowking, etc. This shows that it has many opportunities to setup its boosts and many teams esp thought UUPL have teams that struggle to break it barring crits. But wait you ask

"what if it faces WW skarmory, trick, or taunt?" Well it can still beat skarm via last mon scenario and even then it can hit it pretty darn hard with +2 body press helping its teammates that would appreciate skarm being weakened. Trick can be outplayed easily and baited since its used on rachi, chandelure, and rotom-w which can easily be scouted and registeel isnt even staying in on chandy anyway and chandy is pretty mid rn so is scarf rachi and idk about that much rotom-w.

"But what if it faces a MU where it cannot sweep what so ever and its not a threat offensively?" well its still a pure steel type which helps it wall many common pokemon in the tier such as the grasses, scizor, and waters which means it is still a great defensive presence in the tier which also contributes to its ability to get many boosts on many pokemon. Registeel being unable to do jack is rare as even celesteela is hurt by a +2 body press

+2 4 Def Registeel Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 160-189 (47.7 - 56.4%) -- 32.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 28 Def Registeel Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 163-192 (48.6 - 57.3%) -- 49.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Def Registeel Body Press vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 208-245 (62 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and slowbro-g is also rare and can be PP stalled as 1/24 crits are pretty rare and registeel only loses potentially to CM slowbro-g which is a pretty rare sight with only 30% of slowbro-g running CM.

Last edited:
:ss/slowbro-galar:
B+ to Higher
I've been playing with this mon recently after aegislash was banned, it is definitely worth checking out for those curious. There's so little things that actually kill this in one go now so it's easy to scout out whatever while being difficult to scout itself because of how customizable its sets can be. Whatever coverage you want, this mon probably has; Scald for Hippowdon and Chandelure, Ice Beam on AV sets for Salamence and Hydreigon, and we saw recently how Colbur + Flame can help it 1v1 an SD Scizor in Pif VS Meru. It feels like it can pull its weight more which is why it deserves A- minimum as of now.

:ss/Noivern:

C+ to B+

This nomination is mainly because I spammed the Noivern spikes sample team for the entirety of my recent Aegi reqs run and it gave a lot of consistent results. Speed tier is very nice now that Pokemon like Keldeo and Specs Hydreigon are on the rise with Zygarde-10 still being around and Noivern is legitimately scary when it can drop a Draco while spikes are down and dip.

:ss/lycanroc-dusk:

B+ to B

Lycan im so sorry but you are absolutely getting progressively worse as the gen is wrapping up, I don't need to explain why when a lot of other people have made their cases clear but new faces like Hippowdon coming and old faces like Skarmory and Scizor coming back is not a good look for it unfortunately. It is high risk and high maintenance with some of the lowest lows in the tier, so it deserves a drop

:ss/crobat:

B+ to B

I really don't understand why this was rated so highly to begin with, every time I saw it, it felt like such a minor presence with, at worst being a nuisance but nothing potentially important like how Nidoqueen or Gyarados can be. I'd put it in B- if we had it, but eh.

:ss/Rhyperior:

B to C+
I would put it under UR like some of the other mons Im putting next, but I'm not gonna go that drastic just yet. I've just never seen the mon recently and for good reason. The same old tale of Hippowdon and Skarmory rising and being difficult for Rhyperior and other threats like Tangrowth, Keldeo, and even other mons like Celesteela and Thundurus, the ladder now running Grass Knot for Hippowdon.

To UR:
:flygon: :Diancie: :sirfetch’d: :Klefki:
I've literally never seen these for quite some time, either cause they're hard to justify, had a niche that's since passed, or just not worth using.

Last edited:
What I think should rise on the VR

Rises:
Cobalion, Skarmory, and Slowking
A to A+

Cobalion and Skarmory should move up since they've greatly benefitetd from the aegi ban, and are the 2 best answers to Scizor.
Slowking should move up since it lost its main offensive answer, and is the best fighting type counter in the tier.

Keldeo
A- to A+

Keldeo feels very threatening in the current meta, resists all of scizor's main 3 moves, and is a bit underrated.

Galarian Slowbro
B+ to A-

The aegi ban was huge for glowbro, and it can easily come in and set up on skarmory with calm mind.

Hatterene
B to A-

Similar to Galarian Slowbro, hatterene has benefitted from the Aegislash ban, and is arguably even better at setting up on Skarm thanks to magic bounce being able to reflect Skarm's spike attempts.

Chandelure
B to B+

Chandelure can now occupy the role of offensive ghost type thanks to aegi no longer being around, and it's stab combination is very hard to switch into, on top of its fire stab being very good in the grass and steelfilled metagame, on top of being able to cripple chansey with trick, and being able to spread status and set up with calm mind.

Reuniclus
B to B+

Reuniclus is another pokemon which, say it with me everyone, has greatly benefitted from the Aegislash ban. It has good bulk, and the combination of psychic, focus blast, and thunder give it near perfect coverage, and it can be a somewhat effective status absorber thanks to magic guard.

Noivern
C+ to B+

Noivern's sped tier is amazing in the current metagame, being able to outspeed every unboosted pokemon in the tier, and has access to the very threatening draco meteor, and can act as a reliable fast pivot that fits well on volt-turn teams.

Wake up its nom time :000

:skarmory: to A+ - Post Aegislash I find this to be an incredibly defining mon, Spikes are simply too strong, and without aegi to worry the opportunity cost of using it is much lower as it also compresses a scizor counter and wincon. While there are mons which kinda invalidate skarm (see hatt and fog mence) they are good BECAUSE of Skarms huge influence, this mon has become very annoying especially in the builder. Hippo + Skarm can just make every single mon work tbh, compressing many roles + spikes is a great enabler

:rotom-wash: to A - Rotom is due for a rise at the moment, matches up excellently against many trending mons like Hippo Skarm and even with the common grass they are paired up with Rotom-W will always be a huge nuisance. Its simply one of the best enablers around just bothering everyone, I consider it one of if not the best fogger atm not only because of hippo skarm but also does well into Cobalion and okay-ish into Nihi Swamp. Willo sets basically mean that zydog always beats moong and hat has no trouble with hippo + its a sciz check.

:zygarde-10%: to A- - Reinstating a nom I made last time but now I am much more sure, it lost a great point of entry and partner forever, speed control options are now going much more beyond the 115 speed tier with experimentations like Noivern and scarfers so its also mid at that job. Hippowdon, Tangrowth and Scizor continue strong and wont stop so yeah drop.

:tentacruel: to B+ - This mon has been overranked for a WHILE, its a very very short term check to the things you want it too, mainly because how easy it is to chip. The defensive typing is good but when it cant take hits and you need to patch up all of the many shortcomings it has that leaves little room to actually teambuild. Also to actually threaten things it needs those 30% very badly which only makes it more inconsistent

:mamoswine: to B+ - Mamo has defo gotten worse, the departure of aegis removes one of the big niches it had over similar breakers in conk and azu in which it could threaten the OHKO on it. Without that it is left struggling against the trending skarmory and scizor which make life very difficult for it, it is much more prediction reliant than the competition and the only real advantage IMO is Ice Shard for Thundurus but that definitively isn't enough to keep it in the A ranks.

:crobat: :jirachi: :lycanroc-dusk: to B - Yeah B ranks need a lot of shifting slots, many have mentioned this ones before and I agree, Bat was overranked in the first place and B is much more fitting. After the Gmolt ban Lycan Dusk has no reason to stay in B+, fatter teams are better and HO is in the decline which is bad for doggy (SD sets can defo be something now that crunch isn't a necessity tho so I'm open to be corrected) and while Rachi gets better without aegis it still should drop, bad speed control, fishing for flinches is harder than ever. And not only have the subtox and cm sets seen no usage but they are still easy to switch around with many great mons like tang, steela, zarude.

:chandelure: :hatterene: :togekiss: to B+ - Again mentioned by people before but they are great now. Chandy is now the only good ghost so less opportunity cost and it shreds fat cores consisting of skarm, hippo, slowing and the grasses with ease. Hatt can be a dummy good wincon abusing teams using skarm and scizor as their steel + its a good hazard control. Togekiss is in fact broke with NP sets with great defensive utility. All of these benefitting from Aegi limiting their opportunities. (Also they cuck registeel which should see more usage)

:scrafty: :diancie: to UR - The mons which their whole niches were based around are now banned and have little reason to be used + they match up badly into new trends.

Alos maybe rise Tangrowth to A+, beating Thundurus is incredible rn and not being tox immune doesn't matter as much with aegis banned + it can turn the tables on skarm or sciz with 4th moveslot. Immense progress maker but among is so incredibly good that I'm on the fence with this one. (then again moong is great cus it beats tang)
I also agree on rising Celesteela, played so much with it during uult, autotomize sets are dummy good and its one of the main things keeping HO alive it can grab many simply incredibly mu. Defensive sets are great hippo and moong abusers, Toxic is broken on it and just v tough to kill.

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I really don’t think Hatterene benefited from the Aegislash ban at least from the perspective that Aegislash was a big issue for it. CM Hatterene easily beat Shadow Ball variants of Aegislash if Aegislash switched in a CM or Mystical Fire which isn’t that hard to time. By extension, Aegislash couldn’t really revenge Hatterene even if it was only at +1. To be honest, I do think Aegislash teams were

What I like about Corporate Donkey’s and Totomon’s post is that they are a bit more nuanced and talk about secondary effects (namely Hatterene owning Skarmory which is more common post Aegislash).

While I do think Hatterene should rise, it’s more of a reflection of these secondary effects other users above wrote about + I think it was already underrated (it’s very good at taking down Volt Turn teams that just can’t sufficiently outdamage Draining Kiss Kiss Fall in Love), than Aegislash’s direct departure.

Which you might think is a pointless post because I don’t think anyone outright said Aegislash countered Hatterene. But whatever! I think it’s a good thought exercise still.

Lycanroc-Dusk to B- - This mon got a lot worse after G-Molt ban, Gyara not picking up usage and HO teams taking a little bit of a dive in viability and usage. This mon relies heavily on chip damage, doubles, and mean predicts; which is not good for B ranks. While it still has a lot going for itself, the meta still has Scizor, the Emperor Caesar of UU. It also has a tough time getting past most walls. If the meta changes again in the right direction, then I could see Lycanroc-Dusk getting good again, even in tours. Too bad, still love the doggo.

Based on what everyone is saying and seeing the mon in action, I think it's safe to say that Registeel will probably rise to A- in the future.

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
:jellicent: to C+: I think this mon can be pretty annoying to deal with since most Pokemon that switch into Will-o-Wisp don't appreciate being taunted, bar Zarude and Hydreigon sets w/ Roost. Mandibuzz can't really stay in on it since it risks being burnt and opens up a ton of other threats, like Zydog or Hydreigon. This mon can do work on Spikes stacking teams as well, due to the amount of switches it forces on teams that lack aforementioned answers to it. With Colbur Berry, it can take a Knock Off from Scizor and burn it on the turn after, basically shutting it down. Jellicent can also check a good amount of wallbreakers and setup sweepers like all Keldeo and Cobalion sets, CM Glowbro, Iron Defense Skarmory, and the like, which makes it a valuable pick on fatter teams that tend to struggle with these mons. It, of course, has its problems, but I think it deserves to be ranked somewhere in the C area.

-> A+

There is really no reason not to use this on teams... it does a lot, defog/spike for teams and can beat the best rockers in hippo, exca, and swampert and setup spikes against them, it provides a lot of defensive counterplay against a lot of dangerous pokemon with its sets such as scizor, zarude, tapu bulu, azu, conkeldurr, gyarados, lycanroc-d, jirachi, exadrill, etc with its Iron Defense and Whirlwind sets it can deter them all and setup spikes, defense boosts, phaze them around and rack up chip damage with spikes, threaten them with toxic in cases of moltres, thundy-t, rotom-h, rotom-w, or salamence trying to switch in, or just chip them down with rocky helmet. On any team it can always put in work in some way or another and its weaknesses to thundy-t, moltres, chandelure, hattrene, azelf, are fixable with team partners in zarude, slowking, hippo, nihilego, chansey, umbreon, tangrowth, and more.

-> A+

There is really no reason not to use this on teams... it does a lot, defog/spike for teams and can beat the best rockers in hippo, exca, and swampert and setup spikes against them, it provides a lot of defensive counterplay against a lot of dangerous pokemon with its sets such as scizor, zarude, tapu bulu, azu, conkeldurr, gyarados, lycanroc-d, jirachi, exadrill, etc with its Iron Defense and Whirlwind sets it can deter them all and setup spikes, defense boosts, phaze them around and rack up chip damage with spikes, threaten them with toxic in cases of moltres, thundy-t, rotom-h, rotom-w, or salamence trying to switch in, or just chip them down with rocky helmet. On any team it can always put in work in some way or another and its weaknesses to thundy-t, moltres, chandelure, hattrene, azelf, are fixable with team partners in zarude, slowking, hippo, nihilego, chansey, umbreon, tangrowth, and more.
I second this. With Aegislash leaving and Scizor being a dominant offensive presence requiring a switchin that counters it's frightening swords dance set, Skarmory is incredibly dominant as a staple and defensive mon, with it's Iron Defense + Body Press set (which is basically needed on Skarm right now) helping it against extremely threatening physical mons and even allowing it to serve as a cleaner on some games. With it's biggest counter leaving, this absolutely deserves a rise.

-> A-

It bullies a lot of stuff... and beats some steels if its willing to trade HP to beat them down opening the room for many pokemon to break through. Steels such as scizor, non-iron head cobalion, skarmory, and registeel. While celesteela and excadrill can get easily worn down with good prediction in addition to being unable to take multiple mystical fires. After a CM hatt many pokemon struggle to deal with hatt or switch in properly over the course of a game and it can easily snowball out of control since it does force out a lot of pokemon such as rest talk prim, salamence, non-iron head coba, mandibuzz, slowking, zygarde-10%, hydreigon, keldeo locked into secret sword or coverage. It has a lot of options for pokemon it can setup on and threaten sweeps as it can easily boost out of control if your steel is scizor or skarmory. I believe it is A- since it qualifies the role of " Reserved for Pokemon who can sweep or wall significant portions of the metagame and can perform well against most play styles, but require some support or have some flaws that prevents them from doing this consistently. " pretty well as it can perform well on a game to game basis since most poeple rely on scizor or skarm as their steel and can use many pokemon for setup fother on a game to game basis as there is always a pokemon it can setup on

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
choo choo here comes a vr update

Rises
Cobalion rises from A to A+ - Cobalion's Swords Dance sets have popped off lately with the ban of Aegislash, and it's still an ever-reliable Stealth Rock setter. Being able to customise coverage to some extent to cover otherwise mediocre matchups gives it strong versatility, and its defensive utility as a Scizor and Zarude check is still very valuable, so it joins the upper echelons of the tier.

Celesteela rises from A to A+ - Celesteela's offensive sets have seen a meteoric rise lately, being able to dumpster a ton of common defensive structures that rely on Hippowdon as a special blanket. Defensive sets are in a decent spot too, being good checks to Diggersby, Togekiss and more.

Diggersby rises from A- to A - Big chungus is the best Scarfer in UU and rises to reflect its great offensive potential.

Keldeo rises from A- to A - Finally in a decent spot, Keldeo's pretty good at bursting down most of its frailer checks and has few matchups where it's dead weight thanks to its good offensive / defensive utility as a wallbreaker. Less Slowking / Primarina usage is great for it too.

Azelf rises from A- to A - Azelf's Expert Belt set has taken off, being incredibly tough for a lot of teams to handle. Its great Speed tier being above Keldeo and Cobalion is very valuable in this metagame.

Togekiss rises from B to B+ - Togekiss's defensive utility is as unique as it is valuable, being able to check all of Zarude, Salamence, Hydreigon, Noivern, Azelf, Conkeldurr, and Keldeo in a single teamslot. Nasty Plot variants are really tough to beat long-term right now, as teams reliant on Thundurus-T or Skarmory as their Flying resist just get shredded by it, and teams that use Scizor or Cobalion can often have no Flying resist at all.

Hatterene rises from B to B+ - The matchup witch has been stronger lately thanks to her ability to dumpster the increasingly popular Skarmory. Every turn against Hatterene can be a 50/50 if you're lacking a dedicated counter such as Celesteela; Pokemon like Scizor really can't switch in safely at all. It still has some shortcomings, particularly in the Hydreigon matchup, so it doesn't see a huge rise, but it is strong at the moment.

Noivern rises from C+ to B+ - Noivern sees the biggest jump in these shifts after finding itself explored a lot more recently. Its Speed tier is immensely valuable at the moment, beating out all of Keldeo, Cobalion, Azelf, Raikou, Thundurus-T, Starmie and even some Crobats, and it's got decent defensive utility into stuff like Cobalion, Zarude, Scizor and Skarmory. Competition with the amazing Salamence is tough, but Noivern's Speed tier lets it show up on an increasing number of teams. Turns out that fast Pokemon with good coverage are pretty tough to handle if Spikes are on the field. Who knew?

Articuno rises from C to C+ - Articuno is becoming a genuine threat on fatter teams thanks to the amazing compression of Heal Bell + Defog, and it's got a pretty good matchup into hazard setters like Hippowdon, Skarmory, Swampert and Nidoqueen. It's still very limited in terms of what kind of teams it can fit onto, but it's got a respectable niche that's worth considering for fatter balances and stall teams.

Seismitoad rises from C to C+ - Seismitoad's Water immunity is really nice at forcing mindgames with stuff like Keldeo, and it blanks Rotom-W, which is increasing in popularity, quite hard. It's a reliable Stealth Rock setter that most hazard removers don't really like taking on one-on-one, and it packs good utility between Toxic and Knock Off, so it sees a modest rise.

Vanilluxe rises from C to C+ - Most common Steel-type is Scizor that doesn't run a whole lot of Special Defense investment. Blizzard is a strong move. Vanilluxe doesn't miss Blizzard. Vanilluxe owns a lot of teams. You get the point.

Magneton ranked at C - Most common Steel-type is Scizor that doesn't run a whole lot of Special Defense investment. Thunderbolt is a strong move. Magneton doesn't miss Thunderbolt. Magneton owns a lot of teams. You get the point.

Jellicent ranked at C+ - Jellicent has some cool defensive utility as a hard Keldeo counter that dumpsters a lot of balance structures via Taunt. It's also a somewhat workable Scizor check and stuffs most Cobalion variants.

Sigilyph ranked at C - Being a Defogger immune to passive damage is unique and cool into a lot of more passive stuff like Skarmory, Swampert, Hippowdon and Seismitoad. Sigilyph can also be annoying to switch into in its own right for teams lacking Slowking.

Drops
Nihilego drops from A+ to A -

Mandibuzz drops from A to A- - Mandibuzz just doesn't check too many relevant threats at the moment and faces serious competition for its role from stuff like Salamence and Celesteela. It's still good and has a unique defensive profile, but that profile is not super in demand rn.

Conkeldurr drops from A- to B+ - Making a team that doesn't suck with Conk is a real headache by nature of the mon's awkward Speed tier and constantly chipping itself down. It hasn't really gotten that much worse per se, but it was overranked to begin with.

Azumarill drops from A- to B+ - The meta hasn't been too kind to Azu, Regen Grasses are everywhere as usual and a slow breaker without much defensive utility can really struggle to get onto the field. Primarina is better at most of what Azumarill tries to do thanks to its better Grass matchup, much higher power, and the fact that it's more versatile.

Lycanroc-D drops from B+ to B - Hippo and Scizor really sent this dog back to its kennel, but it's been falling of for a while anyway. Uptick in Skarmory isn't great, and Lycanroc, while dangerous, tends to faint before getting enough done. It can still work on the right composition as its offensive talents are unique, but it's niche overall.

Salazzle drops from B to C+ - Salazzle just doesn't show up anymore, that's the main issue here. Its offensive potential is still good but it's kinda walled by Hippo and getting it onto the field in the first place can be a challenge. Still gets some points for being a Bullet Punch resist but it's a bad one so eh.

Toxtricity drops from C+ to C - Doesn't really have a niche, probably should've been unranked. Shift Gear sets are still potentially lethal against Chansey / Excadrill teams, which is why some voted to keep it on the VR.

Sirfetch’d, Klefki, Diancie, Scrafty, and Stakataka all drop from C to UR - These just don't have any real niche in the current metagame.

9AA6F690-0F77-4F50-8FBC-2704889A9C8C.png
—> C

Not a great mon to just slap on teams, but has a surprisingly decent niche as a rain wallbreaker. When under rain, dry skin offsets any life orb damage gained from firing off perfect accuracy thunders and surprise weather balls, while also providing a potentially clutch water immunity. Lisk is pretty frail, but makes up for it with its incredibly specific speed stat of 109, which just barely outspeeds both Keldeo and Cobalion. On most teams, Lisk is unfortunately outclassed in almost every regard by Thundurus-T. However on rain, Lisk easily carves out a niche that’s not only usable, but solid.

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
View attachment 432546—> C

Not a great mon to just slap on teams, but has a surprisingly decent niche as a rain wallbreaker. When under rain, dry skin offsets any life orb damage gained from firing off perfect accuracy thunders and surprise weather balls, while also providing a potentially clutch water immunity. Lisk is pretty frail, but makes up for it with its incredibly specific speed stat of 109, which just barely outspeeds both Keldeo and Cobalion. On most teams, Lisk is unfortunately outclassed in almost every regard by Thundurus-T. However on rain, Lisk easily carves out a niche that’s not only usable, but solid.
I think that it personally outclasses Thundurus on rain. I find that Thundy's qualities aren't super in-demand (Ground + Electric immunity but that can generally be extremely awkward and force weird teambuilding decisions, since it is still frail and much more easily worn down) and Heliolisk having Normal STAB gives it the edge vs Grasses bar AV Tang. Like you mentioned, it's speed tier letting it outrun Zarude/Coba/Keld/Nihi, among others, all in one slot, is pretty huge.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
1658048066739.png
to S-. unironically a top 3 pkmn rn, i'm sure prikshit is somewhere out there seething at the reality of :sewage: being really fucking good here
1658044341565.png
=
1658044362308.png
i think both are on relatively equal footing i.e. with growth dealing with hippo/sewage better and amoonguss deterring sciz better/spore being broken as always, but idt amoonguss has rly gotten any worse yet so leaning towards A+ for tang.
1658048427930.png
to A+. a lil less confident on this nom compared to the rest but offering spikes and being an anti-sdbpbpbp/sewage wincon is super cool rn
1658043937322.png
to B+. still a super annoying anti-mon to face
1658047277117.png
>
1658047286582.png
. L + ratio + crobat is better + chad brave bird > draco meteor and flamethrower + noivern dies to a snowball. leaning towards B for noivern
1658047861540.png
to B. it's in a super awkward spot in this meta and i think it's objectively worse than the rest of B+.
1658046788761.png
to C. severely outperformed as a speed control option by crobat/noivern and hasn't been seen in a hot minute
1658048317855.png
to C. bleh
1658048256092.png
1658048296323.png
and maybe
1658048386241.png
to C. when was the last time we seriously saw trick room being used aside from like... teamcharm's conk family?

1658044090511.png
its rocks set is pretty garbdix rn but i think SD + 3 attacks/CB could potentially take advantage of the slow ass mons atm. (s/o km)
1658048813087.png
its main issue atm is not much of its effectiveness but rather how difficult it is to fit on teams atm
1658049294650.png
hyper offense is a lil less potent these days
1658044221758.png
blizzard spam is good and it's better than the rest of c+.
1658044286450.png
i weep for the rock doge and its continued fall from grace ;_;
1658044630963.png
1658046667315.png
poopoo
1658046707724.png
1658046723513.png
praise the sun

Attachments

S: Imo this mon is the best pokemon in this tier (better than scizor). This mon should be the first to be considered on all standard bo/balance things. It checks steels like coba and scizor keeping its offensive existence. Intimidate is also helpful as support and dual stab + fire coverage is very difficult to wall without chansey. Toxic set is also great in these days.

A+: the best counter for keldeo and no mons can imitate its teleport + regenerator support.

A+: agree that amoonguss and tangrowth are the same level.

A-: You can find Azumarill is a good pokemon by running HP. It has better physical bulk than Primarina and priority is still important for some teams. Nothing to say about its power. Max speed is sucks.

A-: Wallbreaker which has good matchups vs scizor(without dual wingbeat) and cobalion. It can also abuse recovery with drain punch.

B+: Physical wall which cannot check cobalion. Most pokemons which can be checked with mandibuzz can punish it with status or knock off.

I was planning on making a post after the scizor test in the chance that it leaves but w/e it's been a month+ since my last post so nomination time.

to S (Salamence could be S- if that's more reasonable): I currently find these to be the big 3 of the current UU tier. Cobalion is the best right now to me, with SD sets being just insane to handle in the metagame. You tailor your coverage to what you need and still retain immense sweeping potential while being amazing into Zarude and Scizor. Utility sets are amazing too, with moves like Volt Switch, Taunt, Thunder Wave, and Toxic (please use Toxic it's so good) providing so much support to the team. Of course it has flaws; being a fake Steel and not hitting too hard, but Cobalion has clearly demonstrated in our current tours its prowess and utility to warrant a rise to S. Hippowdon should also rise to S; it's an incredible wall that fixes so much teams up and can be unkillable at times. Best rocker in the tier and the fact it can consistently 1v1 Water- and Grass-types shows how great it is. Salamence comes in at #3, with defensive sets being bonkers right now at taking on Cobalion, Keldeo, Scizor, Diggersby, and Conkeldurr, all rising and/or top threats. Intimidate is great for softening up these attackers and dual STAB or Toxic flame + utility moves put in work. It's also the best defogger, as even though it doesn't beat setters like Hippowdon and Nihilego, it still can fit Defog and not be completely useless. It's slightly lower than Cobalion and Hippowdon so S- is understandable but Salamence's sky-high usage and ability to take on threats like Scizor warrants a ranking in the S-tier.
to A+: Regardless of your stance on Scizor, you have to acknowledge that it's performance isn't up to far with the aforementioned big 3. It's still Scizor don't get me wrong; it has very potent sweeping potential and a great glue to fit on teams, but performance wise it hasn't popped off. It's not often Scizor does more than click a random Knock Off here and there, with it being an even rarer occurrence to have a full on sweep. The meteoric rise of Cobalion and Salamence do not do it any favors, while it fails to do much into the likes of Celesteela, Skarmory, Thundurus-T, Keldeo, Azelf, Noivern, Rotom-W, Rotom-H, Amoonguss, Glowbro, Nidoqueen, and more. I think it's very overhyped to a degree and struggle to put it in my top 5, but regardless, even players who want Scizor gone say it's not worth S, mainly because to them it suffers from Keldeo syndrome where it's very influential on teambuilding so people hard prep for it so it doesn't do much as a result. The point is, Scizor isn't close at all to the S rank in this current metagame, failing to reflect the dominance and unmatched potential of being able to put in work every game.
to A+: 1000% agree with the points made above. Even with the dominance of Scizor and Amoonguss, Tangrowth has not slowed down, getting high amounts of usage in recent tournaments with its very valuable typing and offensive presence. Beating the insanely good Keldeo and SD Cobalion while still checking Thundurus-T and CM Primarina better than Amoonguss gives Tangrowth lots of merit in the metagame. Partnering with top threats like Cobalion and Salamence very easily eliminates its most vulnerable weaknesses. Like said earlier, Tangrowth and Amoonguss are on a relatively equal footing and Amoonguss certainly isn't worse so Tangrowth should def be A+.
to A+: Putting these together because they're both insane progress makers that should be A+. Diggersby is the best scarfer in the tier by far, wearing down the enemy team with its monumentally powerful U-turn and just being very tough to switch into. Has been getting plenty tournament usage to support this, with its common checks like Hippowdon and Salamence being prone to being vortexed by it as it brings in wallbreakers it's paired with. Body Slam Paras are also super annoying, your Cobalion switching in gets put out of commission for the game. As for Keldeo, even with Amoonguss, Slowking, Noivern, Tangrowth, Salamence, and Primarina being great in the metagame, it's still been doing very well lately. The immediate power of specs and the late-game cleaning potential of CM are both nothing to scoff at, and pressuring the very common Hippowdon and Scizor is something every team will enjoy. If you haven't been living under a rock lately, you'll know these two are more than deserving of A+ status.
to A-: Zydog is still pretty good but the metagame has gotten a lot bulkier for it to break out. Hippowdon is as great as ever, all Salamence are super fat defensively, and plenty of great Steel-types like Cobalion, Scizor, Skarmory, and Celesteela discourage Outrage. Our Grass-types are everywhere too. With the right circumstances it can very well go in, but I'm finding it much easier to naturally account for than the likes of Azelf or Hydreigon and it hasn't really performed lately. A- isn't a bad ranking and a much better fit for Zydog.
to B+: This was an even 8 to A- and 8 to B+ split for the vote last time so it's being voted on again. To me, Tentacruel is still needing to drop. It's barely been used, something not good for a Pokemon that is residing in the A-ranks, and it just feels like a softcheck to way too many things for me to feel comfortable using it. It's a fake switch-in against Cobalion and Keldeo while fails to keep rocks off against Hippowdon because of Hippo's longevity. It still has a unique set of skills; it blanks the increasingly popular Toxic Celesteela even harder than before and it still matches well against Skarmory and Primarina. However, A- doesn't reflect Tentacruel's specific yet somewhat limited niche and it fits much better in B+ with the likes of Nidoqueen and Hatterene rather than with Chansey and Rotom-W.
to A-: Been popping off in UUSD lately, getting lots of usage and just being super scary to switch into, as new adaptations feature Ice Punch over Knock Off for Salamence, instead being paired with a fat Scizor to hit it with Knock Off. I don't know how long it'll keep its trend up and could very well die back down by the time we end up voting, but right now Conkeldurr is due for a small rise back to the A ranks.
to A-: While I do agree with dingbat that Crobat should be a subrank higher than Noivern, I say Crobat should rise to A- and Noivern stay B+ rather than a Noivern drop. Noivern is still very solid, being very offensively potent and tough to switch-into without getting U-turned on. It's better matchups against Azelf and Scizor still let me prefer it on some teams compared to Crobat. Regardless, onto Crobat, who is a UU staple by now. Great Speed, powerful STAB, and Taunt destroying bulky teams all make Crobat just so good right now. It's usage surpasses a large amount of UU staples even, making it very clear it should join the A ranks. I'd argue it's close to A as a whole rather than B+ right now.
to A-: Putting these two together as both are great win conditions with potent defensive utility in B+ that should be higher. CM Glowbro has been talked about before and even tied between A- and B+ in the most recent vote, but now it's hard to deny its ability to setup and clean teams with its bulk is very useful right now. Colbur + Flamethrower makes it an excellent Scizor counter. It just manages to stick around until the time is right and sweep. As for Togekiss, we've seen it's rise throughout UU and it should be even higher. Flying-type resists are dire and its NP sets are so good. Its classic flinch strats + solid defensive typing against the current slower teams just prove time and time again how useful this Pokemon is. Both are far better than current mons in B+ and are arguably better than most in A- even, not a crazy rise to me at all.
to B: Nidoking is decent right now, but Nidoqueen is just the better Nido because of its better bulk + ability to easier compress Stealth Rock. Nidoking is still a super scary wallbreaker that likes the bulkier state of the tier, but still is vulnerable to being offensively pressured and has to predict hard to play around the immunities to the rest of its attacks. A small subrank drop should reflect how it's still alright, but Nidoqueen is better enough for there to be a rank difference. Or rise Nidoqueen and keep Nidoking B+ if that floats your boat.
to B+: All 3 should rise to B+ from B, mainly because they're just better than what their rank indicates. Chandelure has been popping up lately with its deadly STAB combo being nearly unwallable in UU. Taunt Hex sets in particular are what's good (Specs sucks), fitting on more balance builds that utilize threats like Toxic Celesteela and Thunder Wave Slowking to cripple Hippowdon and enemy Slowking for Chandelure to slam with Hex. Needs support but pretty strong in the right circumstances and doesn't feel that mediocre really. Necrozma has been seen a few times as a CM sweeper that can take teams lacking Hydra / Mandi / Slowking by surprise. It's pretty bulky and once it gets going it can take half the team before falling itself. Has a huge status vulnerability though, which makes something like Heal Bell Togekiss amazing to pair with it. Lastly, Raikou is a faster yet weaker Thundurus that outspeeds Cobalion and Keldeo, something pretty impactful for many teams. It can act as natural Speed control too and still is alright into the Grounds since Scald stings. Again, not the craziest, but I rate it above the rest of my B rank.

Rises:

Cobalion, Hippowdon, and Salamence to S

Like what Monky said, these 3 pokemon are arguably the current best 3 pokemon in the tier. Cobalion should rise due to its great speed tier, ability to effortlessly deal with Scizor, Zarude, Chansey, and Nihilego, set up rocks effectively, and having near perfect coverage with Close Combat, Stone Edge, and Megahorn allows it to be a very threatening Swords Dance sweeper. Hippowdon should rise up to properly being S because it is inarguably the best stealth rock setter and ground type in the tier. With its absurd bulk, reliable recovery, and ability to handle some of teh tier's top threats like Nihilego, Zygarde, and especially Cobalion, it rightfully deserves a spot in S. And for the final pokemon that should rise to S rank, we have Salamence. Salamence has always been a great pokemon in UU, but what I think makes it worthy of being an S tier pokemon is the fact that it is one of the most reliable checks to all of the tier's fighting types, easily handles Zarude, Excadrill, and Tangrowth, is probably the best hazard remover in the tier, and even has the potential to be a threatening sweeper on hyper offense teams with its Dragon Dance set.

Azelf, Diggersby, Tangrowth, and Keldeo to A+

Azelf has become more threatening recently due to the rise in popularity for its expert belt set, which can tear through most teams which didn't prepare for it. Azelf is also one of the tier's fastest pokemon with its excellent base 115 speed which also makes it difficult to revenge kill, it is a great pivot, and it is also even able run knock off, and potentially nasty plot on some HO teams. Diggersby is one of the best choice scarf users in the entire metagame, and thanks to huge power it is very capable of breaking holes through faster and less bulky teams, has solid pivoting options, can run fire punch to delete Scizor, and can revenge kill faster pokemon such as Cobalion, Azelf, and Raikou. Tangrowth should definitely rise to A+. It is a great defensive pokemon that can easily check Zygarde-10% and Thundurus, still does really well against Keldeo and Primarina, has a decent matchup into Cobalion, and can cripple opposing pokemon with knock off. Keldeo should rise due to it being one of the best switch-ins to Scizor, and also being able to offensively pressure popular pokemon such as Hippowdon, Scizor, Zarude, Hydreigon, and Excadrill. It is capeable of either wallbreaking with its choice specs set, or can sweep late game with a Calm Mind set.

Galarian Slowbro, Togekiss, and Conkeldurr to A-

Galarian Slowbro has definitely gotten much better post aegislash ban, and its calm mind set has been proving to be very effective recently, it's capeable of easily dealing with Scizor and Cobalion, and can stick around for a while in a game with its good bulk, slack off, and regenerator. Togekiss is quite good in the current meta. Like what Monky said, flying resists are dire in the current meta, and togekiss takes fulla dvantage of that. It can easily wear down teams with Nasty Plot boosted Air Slashes, can cheese games with flinches, and can even run a decent support role while keeping itself healthy with Heal Bell. Conkeldurr has bein doing quite well in UUSD recently, and is still a threatening wallbreaker tha definitely deserves to be higher than B+.

Raikou and Necrozma to B+

Raikou is a solid alternative for a team's electric type if the team needs a pokemon for speed control. It is a solid pivot and can revenge kill 2 of the major threats in the tier, being Cobalion and Keldeo. It also is very good at getting rid of the bulky water types in thetier aside from Swampert. Necrozma has been getting better recently with more people utilizing its Calm Mind set, which is surprisingly bulky and has the potential to snowball quickly, and like what Monky said this is especially true for teams lacking Hydreigon, Mandibuzz, and/or Slowking.

Last edited:
Drops:

Scizor to A+

Scizor is still a great pokemon, however, it is definitely hurt by the popularity of Cobalion and Salamence, on top of having many pokemon that can switch into bullet punch and revenge kill it back. It's far form bad, however it certainyl has too many problems to be a proper S tier pokemon.

Tentacruel to B+

I won't go into too much detail here, but Tentacruel has been over ranked for a while, and is quite unpopular, seeing hardly usage, so I believe that it is in dire need of a drop.

Nidoking to B

Nidoking is a threatening wallbreaker, but is rather inconsistent and is outclassed by Nidoqueen in the current UU meta.

Entei to C+

Entei definitely is not doing good in a meta where Hippowdon and Salamence are some of the best pokemon in the tier, and also Entei falls flat against practically every bulky water type, gets worn down easily by stealth rocks, and is outclassed by Darmanitan on sun teams. The only reason why I'm not suggesting it goes down to C rank is mainly because of its access to sacred fire.

Roserade, Scolipede, Porygon 2, Cresselia, and Alolan Marowak to C

For the first 2, there is almost no reason to use them over Skarmory for setting spikes, and they haven't really seen any usage at all in high level play. The latter 3 should also drop due top trick room falling off as a playstyle. The style still has a niche, but it is a very limited one.

Ditto, Regidrago, Ribombee, and Toxtricity to UR

I haven't seen a ditto, even on mid to low ladder, for over half a year, this pokemon manages to make Froslass look relevant. Ditto itself is also deadweight, since you're just better off using a pokemon that can check set up sweepers and can preform roles outside of that than you are using ditto. Regidrago is incredibly awkward to build around, and kind of just loses to any team with fat steels + a fairy type. Webs haven't been relevant for a while, and neither has ribombee, so ribombee also shouldn't be ranked. Regarding Toxtricity, basically Hippowdon happened.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)