Project SS RU Matchmaking: Week 20 - Guzzlord (Submission) (DOUBLE POINTS)

C0nfiden1 0yster

ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
is a Pre-Contributor
RUPL Champion
approved by MrAldo
stolen from :ss nu matchmaking week

(banner soon kek)

WELCOME TO SS RU MATCHMAKING!

What exactly is Matchmaking?

Exactly as it sounds. In this case, it's finding a partner for a particular Pokemon. Let's face it, that one Pokemon on a team cannot sweep properly, set up properly, or just do the job it was meant for without another Pokemon to help it out. Its problems need to be dealt with so it can do its job. For example, a sweeper on your team would be lucky to run into a team that it completely obliterates. In most situations though, that's not the case. The sweeper will need a partner to remove those potential problems. That's where brainstorming ideas can come to life in this thread.

Let me explain how the thread works. Each week, I will pick a Pokemon for you to find a good partner for. This will usually start on Saturdays/Sundays. You will have until Wednesday evening to submit these potential partners for the one that needs the love. You are allowed to submit just one possible partner and no more. Once the submission phase is over on Wednesday nights, I will begin the voting phase at that point. This phase will go until Saturday night. All you need to do is vote for the best possible partner. Meaning, vote for 1 of the submissions. At that point, I will award 2 points to top vote-getter and 1 point to the 2nd best vote-getter. Both of these submissions will be archived and the users will be put onto the Top Matchmaker leaderboard.

The user with the most points at the end of a period of time of my choosing will be crowned the Top Matchmaker for that session!

How to make a match?

All you people need to is simply nominate one Pokemon that would fit with the one that I post. A set for your submission isn't needed, but a good explanation of how and why it works with the given Pokemon is needed.

I will say right now that only Pokemon that are listed on the RU viability rankings will be considered and allowed. If an unranked/unviable Pokemon is submitted, I will have to ignore it and subsequently delete it. I am willing to make exceptions, just contact me if your submission is not on the VR for approval. Reservations are allowed in this thread. You will have up to 48 hours to revise the reservation post into your actual submission.

Pick 1 Pokemon and 1 Pokemon only that you believe pairs well with the bachelor in question. If I see someone posting more than 1 or a "this or this" thing going, I will have the mods delete it.

2) The Pokemon you submit must be listed in the VIABILITY RANKINGS. If it is not, it will be ignored and not considered in the voting process. Though, I am willing to make exceptions though, just contact me if your submission is not on the VR for approval.

3) Reservations are allowed. Once your reservation is made, you will have up to 48 hours to revise the post into your submission. I will be keeping track of times so please be responsible here. If your reservation is deemed unfulfilled, I will allow others to use it.

4) Have fun! This thread is going to be just that, so let's do it.

the pokemon that needs a date this week is:

:ss/guzzlord:

If you have any questions you can ask me on Discord: C0nfiden1 0yster#6805.

Last edited:
WEEK 1:
OBSTAGOON
600px-862Obstagoon.png

Obstagoon @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Switcheroo
Obstagoon has found a niche as a great wallbreaker in SS RU. however, it has quite a few shortcomings that may turn it into a liability instead of an asset for your team. put on your thinking caps and figure out how to patch the holes in its armour. happy pairing!​

Katy

Banned deucer.
reserving the chandelier

:bw/Chandelure:
Chandelure @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hex
- Toxic
- Energy Ball

Chandelure is a great partner for Obstagoon as it gives Obstagoon a great Fighting-immunity due to its great typing in Ghost and Fire; Chandelure helps with problematic Pokemon for Obstagoon such as Cobalion, Galarian-Weezing, and Klefki. Moreover it hits Gastrodon, Rhyperior, Seismitoad, and Milotic for super effective damage due to its coverage in Energy Ball weakening them or straight up OHKOing them and pathing the way for Obstagoon in the long run. Obstagoon in return can take care of problematic Pokemon for Chandelure such as Umbreon and Snorlax, as they can tank Chandelures hits rather comfortably and threaten it with their STAB or coverage moves.
Chandelure can also cripple Pokemon with Toxic, helping out Obstagoons wallbreaking potential, as it wears down threats easily for it, such as Sylveon and Togekiss. In overall this duo has a great synergy due to their typings and help each other out with their potential of threatening each others checks rather easily and they complement each other in a great way!

Last edited:
reserving noivern
:ss/noivern:
Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Roost
- U-turn / Defog

Noivern is a good partner to Obstagoon, its Flying type let him come on Fighting types that threaten Obstagoon and it can threaten them back since the viable Fighting types are either weak to Flamethrower like Cobalion, Heracross and Bewear or die to Draco Meteor like Mienshao. It also have a Bug resist which can be really usefull to not get blasted by Golisopod First Impression and U-turn users. On the last slot you can use either U-turn to help getting Obstagoon on the field or Defog to remove entry hazards that greatly reduce Obstagoon longevity. Note that this core is really weak to Fairies so something to deal with them would be nice.​

Last edited:

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
:ss/golisopod:
Golisopod @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Aqua Jet
- Spikes
- Knock Off

Golisopod is able to pivot in on fighting-types, as well as Zygarde if it tries to revenge and set up spikes which greatly help Obstagoon with breaking. Obstagoon carrying knockoff help with removing HDBs from the opposing team as well, which helps Golisopod. These form a great core for offensive teams, öroviding a breaker as well as hazards and priority.

Last edited:
:ss/Milotic:
Milotic is a good partner for Obstagoon as it is able to check the fighters of the tier that would easily revenge kill it mainly Cobalion, heracross mienshao, and more. Rhyperieor is also notable. Obstagoon also really benefits from Milotics momentum grabbing flip turn. if Milor flip turns on a dhelmise raikou non-scarf zarude Obstagoon can take advantage of this momentum. Now pokemon like Seimatoad and gastro canabsorb flip turn so you could slap toxic to ruin them or double swap to goon to forcibly remove a pokemon

Milotic @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flip Turn
- Scald /toxic
- Recover
- Haze

Last edited:

Salazzle (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast

Looking at Obstagoon, the closest thing to a counter is Geezing. Salazzle switches into Strange Stream quite freely, giving it a chance to cripple it's own counters with Toxic and Knock Off or smack them with STAB attacks if already neutered. It can also check Cobalion and non Scarf Mienshao in a pinch. You could even forgo Knock for Nasty Plot since Obstagoon will be spamming Knock anyway, opening the possibility for a sweep late game. Obstagoon can switch into temporary stop gaps to Salazzle such as Umbreon and spam Knock some more or delete mons with Facade.

Salazzle has little defensive utility outside of the above, however, and also gets checked by Zygarde, so pack a check for it.

1613959555077.png

Cobalion @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

Surprised no one’s decided to nab this mon, Helment Coba is a classic way to punish U-turn, an extremely annoying move for Obstagoon to deal with, as it will either get chipped hard or lose momentum against U-turns from Zarude, Noivern, and occasionally Crobat. Obstagoon can also aggressively capitalize on common answers to Cobalion like Seismitoad, Milotic, and Chandelure for a turn to go wild. Defensively they are nothing special together, but offensively the core is capable of creating ideal situations to wallbreak.

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Bug type compliments Obstagoon's Fighting weakness, while Fighting type gives Heracross STAB Close Combat which allow it to threaten Mienshao, Cobalion, and Bewear. Stone Edge is a roll for defensive Togekiss, giving it about a 50% chance to 2HKO, taking into account rolls and SE accuracy. Problems emerge with this against Flying and Fairy types. Stone Edge is really insufficient coverage against Flying, as it doesnt pick up KOs against Togekiss or Noivern. Galarian Weezing is the real killer, however. Strange Steam hits very hard against both. Bewear also cant be beaten without sacrificing one of the pair.

the vote counts are in and the winner of this week's matchmaking week is:
download.jpg
GOLISOPOD BY Mac3
(grats on your 2 pts)
the runner up this week is:
:cobalion:
by Jmash
(grats on your 1pt)
vote counts this week
golisopod:4
cobalion:3
chandelure:1
salazzle:1

leaderboard
1- Mac3
2- Jmash

moving on, the match you'll have to make for this week is:
xurkitree.jpg
Xurkitree @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam

Xurkitree has always been a fine scarfer in the metagame, but with the heavy-duty-boots set being popularised in the ongoing RUPL, lets see what we can pair this new xurkitree set with!
the deadline for submissions is wednesday 9pm, gmt+5:30!

Last edited:
1614573351835.png

Kevin (Durant) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- First Impression
- Iron Head
- Superpower
- Stomping Tantrum

Boots Xurkitree pretty much forces teams to bring in their sp def mon like Snorlax, P2, or Registeel (if they have one to begin with) to not risk losing a mon since Xurkitree’s coverage blows up usual Volt Switch stops. This means Xurkitree can bring in Durant on these targets and proceed to potentially pick up a kill since Durant’s so hard to wall, and together the two can beat down Steelix very quickly. Durant also assists Xurkitree in faster paced matchups with its ability to check things like Zydog and Roserade.

Katy

Banned deucer.
togekiss

:bw/Togekiss:
Togekiss @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Togekiss is a phenomenal teampartner as it offers a Ground-resist and a Fighting-resist, which Xurkitree really appreciates. Togekiss can be brought in safely due to Xurkitrees Volt Switch and Togekiss can opt to clean up in the lategame aspect. Moreover Xurkitree can help weakening checks such as Rhyperior, Seismitoad, and Gastrodon with its coverage option in Energy Ball. Xurkitree can also take on Crobat with a hard hitting Thunderbolt, which is an enemy to Togekiss, Togekiss on the other hand can help versus Pokemon such as Zarude.

In overall these two are a great offensive core which help each other out with taking on their checks and Togekiss offers a great Ground-immunity and Xurkitree also weakens Ground-types for Togekiss.

Last edited:
:ss/Mienshao:
Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
Scarf Mienshao is a Great teamate for xurkitree. Mienshao is able to force in bulky fighting checks like Calm min Reuniclus Weezing-G Togekiss Crobat Talonflame ,Doublade Golisopod, Now all of these pokemon mienshao can u-turn on for xurkitree to beat. Thanks to the u-turn chip xurkitree can actually beat reuniclus. Now scarf Mienshao also gives the team a scarfer cause xurkitree is not the scarfer. If Xurkitree volt switches on a check like magnezone Dhelmise Zarude or celebi Mienshao can cripple or threatan to kill almost all of these except colbur berry dhelmise however colbur berry dhelmise is not hazard immune and can be forced on the backfoot with hazards more easily. Now Steelix won't drop to mienshao CC but it could put it in range of xurkitree or the other way around with xurkitree chipping it with energy ball. Noivern is a fighting check that will eat u-turn and beat xurkitree however Stone edge from Mienshao 2hkos it. Golisopod first impression does not ohko xurkitree
252+ Atk Golisopod First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree: 208-246 (67.7 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Noivern Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Xurkitree: 229-270 (74.5 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)