Resource SS OU Sets Viability Ranking Thread

art by sneaky | format shamelessly stolen from the OU VR | VR OP credit goes to PK Gaming

Welcome to the official SS OU Sets Viability Rankings. In this thread, we as a community will rank every Pokemon's usable set into which tier of the viability ranking they individually fall under. In this thread, you're encouraged to post your thoughts and opinions on the various set rankings for each Pokemon. Posts in this thread will be taken into account when deciding rank changes. Keep in mind that the sets are organized in order of viability! Please do note that no set can be ranked any higher than the Pokemon's current position on the Viability Rankings.

Terminology
  • All-Out Attacker means every move used on this Pokemon is an offensive move. There are no setup moves, utility moves, nor support moves.
  • Offensive usually incorporates Pokemon that are Offensively-oriented; however, may have some utility with them (i.e. Taunt, Intimidate) or setup moves.
  • Utility varies from Pokemon to Pokemon, but basically these Pokemon are not often Offensive based and, even if they are, usually support the team more often than sweep. Such examples are laying entry hazards, setting up terrain, or using U-turn / Volt Switch. This can sometimes be known as Pivot as well.
  • Defensive are basically Pokemon that are more Defensively-oriented.
The current VR council consists of the following members:
SS OU Ranking Tier List

SS OU Ranking Tier List

S Rank:

S Rank

Landorus-Therian
  • Defensive Pivot: S
  • Swords Dance: A+
  • Offensive Pivot: A
  • Gravity: B+
  • Choice Band: B+
  • Choice Scarf: B
S- Rank

Dragapult
  • Choice Specs: S-
  • Dragon Dance: A-
  • Offensive Pivot: B+
  • Substitute + Hex: B
Heatran
  • Specially Defensive: S-
  • Choice Specs: B+
  • Nature Power: B+
Weavile
  • Swords Dance: S-
  • Choice Band: A-
A Rank:

A+ Rank

Corviknight
  • Defensive Utility: A+
  • Bulk Up: B
Garchomp
  • Swords Dance: A+
  • Defensive: A
  • Mixed: C+
Slowking-Galar
  • Assault Vest: A+
  • Offensive: B-
Tapu Fini
  • Choice Scarf: A+
  • Calm Mind: A
  • Defensive: B+
Tapu Koko
  • Offensive Pivot: A+
  • Dual Screens Support: A
  • Calm Mind: B+
  • Choice Specs: B
Tornadus-Therian
  • Assault Vest: A+
  • Defensive Pivot: A+
  • Nasty Plot: A-
Toxapex
  • The Pex: A+
Urshifu-R
  • Choice Band: A+
  • Protective Pads: A-
  • Bulk Up: B+

A Rank

Arctozolt
  • Substitute + Three Attacks: A
Clefable
  • Magic Guard Utility: A
  • Unaware Utility: A
Ferrothorn
  • Defensive Utility: A
Kartana
  • Swords Dance: A
  • Choice Band: A
  • Choice Scarf: A
Kyurem
  • Roost + Three Attacks: A
  • Substitute + Roost: A
  • Choice Specs: A-
  • Dragon Dance: B
Magnezone
  • Iron Defence: A
  • Choice Specs: A-
Melmetal
  • Three Attacks + Thunder Wave: A
  • Choice Band: A-
  • Assault Vest: B+
  • Toxic + Protect: B
Ninetales-Alola
  • Offensive Support: A
  • Nasty Plot: B+
Scizor
  • Defensive Pivot: A
  • Offensive Swords Dance: A-
Tapu Lele
  • Choice Specs: A
  • Choice Scarf: A
  • Twisted Spoon: A-
Zeraora
  • Bulk Up: A
  • Toxic: A-
A- Rank

Buzzwole
  • Roost + Three Attacks: A-
Dragonite
  • Dragon Dance + Roost: A-
  • Choice Band: B
  • Defensive: B
Hippowdon
  • Defensive Utility: A-
Hydreigon
  • Nasty Plot: A-
  • Roost + Three Attacks: A-
  • Defensive Utility: C+
Rillaboom
  • Swords Dance: A-
Skarmory
  • Defensive Utility: A-
Slowking
  • Defensive Pivot: A-
Volcarona
  • Three Attacks: A-
  • Roost + Two Attacks: A-

B Rank:

B+ Rank

Bisharp
  • Swords Dance: B+
  • Choice Band: C+
Blacephalon
  • Choice Specs: B+
  • Substitute + Calm Mind: B-
Blissey
  • Defensive Utility: B+
Nidoking
  • All-Out Attacker: B+
Rotom-Wash
  • Defensive Pivot: B+
Slowbro
  • Defensive Pivot: B+
  • Colbur Berry + Body Press: B
Tangrowth
Tapu Bulu
  • Swords Dance: B+
Tyranitar
Victini
  • Mixed Attacker: B+
Zapdos
  • Offensive: B+
  • Substitute + Two Attacks: B
B Rank

Aegislash
  • Swords Dance: B
Barraskewda
Dracozolt
  • Substitute + Three Attacks: B
  • All-Out Attacker: C+
Excadrill
  • Specially Defensive: C+
Gastrodon
  • Defensive Utility: B
Hawlucha
Kommo-o
  • Defensive: B
  • Offensive: C+
Mew
  • Suicide Lead: B-
  • Cosmic Power: C+
Pelipper
  • Offensive Utility: B-
Reuniclus
  • Calm Mind: B
  • Assault Vest: B-
Swampert
  • Defensive Pivot: B
Volcanion
  • Heavy-Duty Boots: B-
B- Rank

Blaziken
  • Swords Dance: B-
  • Choice Band: C+
Mandibuzz
  • Defensive Utility: B-
Moltres-Galar
  • Nasty Plot: B-
Zapdos-Galar
  • Choice Band: B-
  • Bulk Up: B-
Rules:
  • Only argue about the rankings of potential sets here, not the individual Pokemon rankings, arguments about individual Pokemon should take place in the SS OU Viability Ranking thread.
  • Don't be a muppet.

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
As you can likely tell: there are no rankings yet. That's because we still need to make them. We'll be working on the first slate over the next week or so; until then, feel free to suggest sets for each of the listed Pokemon and where you believe they should be ranked!

If you are still confused as to the premise of the thread, I implore that you visit the USUM Set VRs, as the format and how this will ultimately be executed can be seen in full view there. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me on either Smogon or Discord!

Landorus-Therian

I think both the Defensive Pivot and Choice Scarf sets belong in S Rank because Landorus-T's main reason for being ranked S in the first place is that it's one of the most effective and splashable pivots in the metagame, and both of these sets offer considerable utility on a variety of different teams.

Meanwhile, the Swords Dance and Suicide Lead sets should go to A Rank and A- Rank respectively. Landorus-T does face strong competition for a role as an SD breaker from mons like Garchomp, but manages to differentiate itself with its excellent defensive typing and Intimidate, giving it ample opportunities to set up. It can directly threaten the majority of common Defog users in the metagame with a boosted Stone Edge.

The reason I've ranked Suicide Lead lower is because the metagame tends to favour teams with a strong defensive backbone as opposed to frail HO teams, and thus being able to set up Stealth Rock multiple times over the course of a match is generally preferable. However, Landorus-T remains one of the premier choices for this role; while it does face some competition from Mew and Custap Berry Skarmory as they are also able to set up Spikes (and Mew has a faster Taunt to prevent enemy Landorus-T leads from setting up), what sets Landorus-T apart from other hazard leads is that it's able to be a direct offensive threat, often able to take out at least one mon with it using its SD-boosted Explosion, which more than makes up for it not learning Spikes.

Abhi

Professional Zoomer
is an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello there :afrostar:
I have two sets to present that in my opinion are very good and deserve the A+ rank.

:ss/Tornadus-Therian:
Nasty Plot Tornadus-Therian

Nasty Plot Tornadus-T is another set I believe is A+ rank worthy, it is incredibly strong being able to break through some of the best Special walls in the tier being Blissey and Slowking after only a couple boosts. Its STAB Hurricane along with good coverage in Focus Blast and Heat Wave make it a very phenomenal threat. It's one of the most potent wallbreakers in the tier and that is why I believe it is worthy of the A+ rank.

:ss/garchomp:
Swords Dance Garchomp

Swords Dance Garchomp is another potent wallbreaker in current metagame that in my opinion, should be A+ rank. It's an incredibly potent wallbreaker that can be very annoying in the teambuilding process. It's access to EdgeQuake coverage makes it incredibly hard to check often being able to break through common checks like Landorus-Therian and Corviknight if given enough opportunities to set up. In addition to that Scale Shot let's it get a speed boost which can make it harder to revenge kill. This is why I believe it to be worthy of the A+ rank.

That's all I have to say for now, Bye :blobwizard:

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
:Garchomp:

I think that swords dance set is A+. With scale shot, it becomes an incredible terror to face, easily sweeping up entire teams while if it chooses to forgo scale shot for stealth rock, it can reliably set it up

Mixed set would be an A- for me. Mix Chomp usually has stealth rock as its last move and while fire blast allows it to kill Corviknight, it loses the ability to beat Zapdos and Tornadus Therian because of the very balanced boots. I guess if stone edge is run over stealth rock it can beat every defogger but stealth rock is usually too crucial to pass up

Tank chomp is B for me. There is next to no reason to use this anymore since soccer bunny is banned. I guess Urshifu Rapid is something this set ruins but that thing isn't common enough to warrant this on a consistent basis, not to mention most of the other physical attackers carry knock off

:Dragapult:

Status hex set, or whatever its called, would be A for me. I would rank it A+ or even S- but I can't since it's not allowed to rank a set higher than a mon's viability. Reason is simple, it can reliably spread status. This set gets more devastating if it is running substitute. Not really much to say, crippling your opponents is something really useful especially since this mon forces a lot of switches

Specs set is B+ for me. Too prediction reliant and one failed draco meteor means setup bait for the many dangerous mons in the tier. While it can freely spam u turn, it can also be used against it if the opponent gets balsy and stays in. I'm probably wrong about this but I'm not a fan of this set

:Tornadus-Therian:

Utility set is a definite A+. It's just so reliable at pulling whatever utility you need at the moment and it doesn't even care that much about toxic or wisps because of the very balanced boots and regenerator. This bird is probably the best defogger and knock off user in the tier

Nasty plot is A-. Sorry, but when you rely on the rng too much, I'm never gonna think it's that great. It can easily derail since the rng gods are not kind gods at all. In rain, this would be a terror but rain doesn't exactly have the best place right now, as far as I've seen anyway

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Ranking by order since things like Dragapult are S mons but are ranked A in rank thread, and Weavile is A- but isnt there in ranking thread. Only S and A. Made them pretty broad categories since these historically are very subjective threads for casual discussion anyways.

Defensive
Scarf
Offensive
Calm Mind
Unaware
Stealth Rock
Defensive
Offensive Swords Dance
Defensive
Mixed
Offensive
Specially Defensive
Nasty Plot + 3 attacks
Utility
Defensive
Defog
Bulk Up
Specs
Hex
Dragon Dance
Nasty Plot
Defog
Sub
Specs
Band
Swords Dance
Futureport
Utility
Futureport
Utility
HDB
Specs
Offensive
Defensive
Sub
Utility
Sand Rush
Mold Breaker
Defensive
SD
Band
Scarf
Defog Utility
Offensive
AV
Calm Mind
Nasty Plot
Calm Mind
Defog
Scarf
Specs
Scarf
Band
Utility
Offensive Pivot
Bulk Up

Lately I've been checking on lower tier mons for some additions to my team, and I thought that i will recreate the dpp mixed Salamence and I was very suprised by how good it was.
Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Roost
With this set it's able too destroy entire teams. It's just that suprise factor. For example most players expect to see DD Salamence and the switch in ferrothorn to wall you and you just Fire Blast them to death. When you look on the current metagame too you don't see any mon that can hard wall it except Clefable, but with good team support you can do anything. It's also terrific late game cleaner because of it's coverageand speed. If you're running it with slowtwins and t-wave it outspeeds everyting and kills it.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Hello, everyone! I hope you've been having a fantastic last few weeks; I can certainly say we have. We've spent the last month figuring out how to compile sets, how to gauge the quality of sets in comparison to one another, and actually voting in the first place. It took a bit, but I'm glad to say that, after much delay and many hours, the first slate is now live!

Because there's a blatantly absurd amount of things that have been ranked, I will not go through them for obvious reasons. However, instead, I would like to explain the method we chose to rank sets and how we chose to quantify subsets, so you can understand the way we went about this process.
  • Each set will be ranked for their overall quality, as well as have their variants ranked as well in the form of sub rankings. For viewing convenience, these sub rankings will all be in spoilers, making it so you can access whichever Pokemon's sets you wish to at a given time.
  • Each set will be ranked in descending order from the highest quality to lowest quality, from both the overall set rankings and the sub rankings themselves. This way, you can see which sets are the best and which are the worst without having to awkwardly navigate through the ranks.
We hope this system will make our initiative going forward clear, while also exploring and addressing the deviations of popular sets at the same time. In the meantime, you are all free to post your opinions on the ranks, as well as suggest rises, drops, and even new sets to be added!

If you have any further questions, I will happily answer any you may have; just shoot me a DM. Happy posting!

There's been a lot happening recently, so here's a quick rundown:
  • Aurodian, DKM, Dreadfury, Katy, and Zneon have all stepped down from the team. Thank you all for the hard work.
  • Clone and IPF have joined the team. Great to have the two of you on board.
  • I've given this a very brief update; expect a proper update within the next week, give or take a few days.
  • We'll be merging the sets compendium with this project
  • Oh and I'm in charge now - expect some more changes in the near future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)