SS OU SS OU Rillaboom Team

Hi! I built this team based around Rillaboom. My inspiration came from the value I saw in grassy terrain recovery to Pokemon such as Heatran. It is currently doing decently well on showdown sitting around mid 1500's. I am looking for any recommendation to make this team better. Thanks for taking the time to read about my team.

Urshifu-Rapid-Strike @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Surging Strikes
- Close Combat
- Aqua Jet
- U-turn

CB Urshifu is my physical wallbreaker and takes on opponents that Rillaboom struggles with such as fire and steel types. This set puts out high damage and has utility in the priority move aqua jet as well as the pivoting move U-Turn. U-Turn is especially notable as it can safely switch in Pokemon like Heatran for free grassy terrain recovery. This mon is also good against common threats like Landorus and Weavile.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Dragapult serves a very similar role to Urshifu as my special wallbreaker. U-Turn as stated previously is excellent on this team for healing. The other 3 moves do massive damage and shadow ball is very spammable. Dragapult is good to put opponents in KO range of other moves such as Rillaboom's priority grassy glide.

Rillaboom @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

The MVP of the team. This mon can sweep thanks to it's great bulk and offense. swords dance, a strong stab priority move, and healing is all Rillaboom needs to make quick work of opponents. Not only is Rillaboom an offensive monster but it provides great support with grassy terrain. Leftovers provide even more healing restoring 12% each turn alongside the terrain. Opponents often like to swap in Heatran, Ferrothorn, or Corviknight who all take significant damage from superpower. Superpower KO's ferrothorn and Heatran most of the time after a swords dance boost. Knock Off is great for Pokemon with leftovers and rocky helmet. especially if weak to Urshifu's surging strikes.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

This mon pairs exceptionally well with Rillaboom and benefits greatly from grassy terrain via healing and earthquake damage reduction. The healing it gets from leftovers + terrain, typing, and bulk make Heatran nearly unkillable. This is an excellent switch in to mons that wall Rillaboom such as Corviknight / Zapdos. Flash fire is also great to absorb hits aimed at Rillaboom. The moveset allowed Heatran to trap and KO most Pokemon. Toxic and Magma Storm chip away health and trap the opponent while taunt prevents recovery. Earth Power is good for opposing Heatran.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane
- Roost
- Defog

Zapdos is my physical defense wall as well as my defogger. The ability static provides even more utility and free paralyzes are very nice for my wallbreakers. Volt Switch is for momentum and helps with terrain healing like U-Turn. This pokemon also handles pokemon like Kartana and Buzzwole which are threatening to the team otherwise and takes them out via Hurricane. Roost is for healing since this Pokemon does not benefit from the terrain. Roost allows Zapdos to tank more hits and makes static more likely to activate. Toxic's that threaten Zapdos can be absorbed by Heatran when predicted correctly.

Mamoswine @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Hot take but Mamoswine may be the most underrated Pokemon ever. This mon makes light work of most of this game's meta. To list a few this mon easily defeats Landorus, Dragapult, Dragonite, Garchomp, Zapdos, Heatran (most sets), Tornadus, etc. This mon mostly serves on this team as my stealth rocks hazard setter but has tremendous utility. Mamoswine does take a damage reduction in earthquake when terrain is up however this pokemon benefits greatly from double leftovers + terrain recovery as it has high natural bulk. This pokemon's ability also makes it immune to Landorus's intimidate. The survivability and offensive capability of Mamoswine on this team makes it invaluable and I can often set up rocks many times reliably.

Thanks for checking out my team. Please leave any recommendations! I'd like to get this team higher on the ladder but am having trouble finding improvements/ replacements. I've sometimes had issues with magic guard Clef and sometimes Weavile if Urshifu faints.

Last edited:

3d

継続は力なり
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
this team is very well built and there are very few flaws with it, the overall structure of this team is solid and the defensive core is also very nice, while pairing very well with the offensive breakers on this team. the only problem ive noticed is that getting in these offensive breakers can be somewhat annoying as the only real momentum move you have on your defensive pokemon is volt switch from zapdos which is very easy to shut down. i also have some set tweaks just for overall better utility.

:mamoswine: -> :landorus-therian: my first recommendation is changing your stealth rocker to spdef landot. the main benefit spdef landot provides to this team that mamoswine did not have was that it serves as a real pivot that can uturn out into one of your breakers. with 2 choice specs pokemon and a slow rillaboom getting them in safely is critical to winning games longterm so having something with a momentum move (that doesn't get blocked by ground types/volt absorb) is absolutely necessary. it serves as a ground type just fine and mamoswine was not really needed to cover anything specifically, and lot of its offensive presence is mitigated by rillaboom, while if terrain is up landot can typically get the slow uturn out. 16 speed evs are to get the jump on CB ttar which this team also does not appreciate switching into as urshifu can really only come in once.

:rillaboom: drain punch over superpower is something i much prefer on bulky sd rillaboom as it lets you survive much longer, and gaining hp on things like ferrothorn and kartana after killing them proves to be extremely useful when you need to be able to take a hit from something else such as tapu koko coming in to revenge kill. heatran outspeeds and ohkoes you with magma storm if they're offensive anyway and getting chip on defensive heatran is not hard, especially with specs dragapult.

:zapdos: removing some defensive investment and allocating it towards speed, specifically 40 evs with a timid nature allows you outspeed adamant rillaboom which can otherwise be extremely threatening if it sets up a swords dance and hits you with knock off. the loss in defence is irrelevant as u are still able to check everything that zapdos needs to, mainly grass, flying and fighting types.
the ev spread would be 248 hp / 220 defence / 40 speed, with a timid nature.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Thank you very much for your feedback! I will give those changes a try. While it pains me to swap out Mamoswine because I love him so much I do agree a Lando pivot could be valuable. The speed investment on Zapdos was something I hadn't thought of either and sounds very beneficial. The only suggestion I was skeptical of was Drain Punch over Superpower. After damage calcs it will take an additional hit to KO ferrothorn. I suppose this doesn't matter as Ferrothorn is not much of a threat anyway? I like the idea of extra healing which could maybe help set up SDs but I'm unsure if it's worth the power. Regardless I'll test it out and see how it goes.

Would Corviknight with U-Turn be better than Zapdos? Since pivots are important and it has slow U-Turn over volt switch

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)