Project SS NU Teambuilding Lab v2.0 (CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body / Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn / Steel Wing

I'd like a team utilizing this Talonflame set. Someone mentioned it fairly recently and while its definitely not as good as standard T-Flame it does look like it has some use. As shown by the slashes, decently customizable set.

Hi, everyone! I would like to request a team around Dragon Dance Aerodactyl, please. :]
Even though I'm aware that Aero isn't that good according to the VR, I'd still like to use it because it's my favorite Pokémon amd I'd love to get into Gen 8 NU with it. :]

The set I was initially thinking is:

Ridley (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Dual Wingbeat
- Dragon Dance
- (Add any move you consider necessary)

As for the archetype of the team, I was thinking of a balanced team because that's the type of team I enjoy the most. However, if the builder considers that a more offensive team might fit better then go for it. :]

Also: While DD Aero is the set I would like the most to use, if it has to be changed then it's fine. DD for me ir a priority, but not a necessity. :]
EDIT: This also applies to the attacking moves. If running dual STAB isn't that benefitial in this meta then feel free to change it!

Last edited:
No Item Bronzong. That simple. It's something I thought of and I really like the concept of. The obvious reason being is Bronzong's strong defensive typing but struggles against any and all poltergeist mons.

Bronzong
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Body Press
- Gyro Ball

This is the set I've been experimenting with but of course this is subject to adjustment as necessary. Love to see what you'd come up with. Thanks!

Pokeslice

Thanks for the Dance
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Hi, everyone! I would like to request a team around Dragon Dance Aerodactyl, please. :]
Even though I'm aware that Aero isn't that good according to the VR, I'd still like to use it because it's my favorite Pokémon amd I'd love to get into Gen 8 NU with it. :]

The set I was initially thinking is:

Ridley (Aerodactyl) (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Dual Wingbeat
- Dragon Dance
- (Add any move you consider necessary)

As for the archetype of the team, I was thinking of a balanced team because that's the type of team I enjoy the most. However, if the builder considers that a more offensive team might fit better then go for it. :]

Also: While DD Aero is the set I would like the most to use, if it has to be changed then it's fine. DD for me ir a priority, but not a necessity. :]
EDIT: This also applies to the attacking moves. If running dual STAB isn't that benefitial in this meta then feel free to change it!
reserving

Hi everyone. I'd like to get a team based around one of these three mons. I've been playing gen8 NU since today, and samples don't seem to take in account the brand new presence of Snorlax, which is a bit disappointing when trying to ladder.

First one is a common threat, but with a slightly niche idea behind it (two guys in the room were discussing this, and it seemed neat to me).

Sirfetch’d @ Leftovers
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance/Knock Off
- Brave Bird/First Impression

Second one is a mon I enjoyed using during gen7, due to its typing. Idk if it's this viable, especially now that Lax is here.

Salazzle @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Corrosion
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic
- Nasty Plot

Third one is a really common threat, but appearently really big.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam/Psyshock
- Surf
- Recover

Hopefully suggesting three different pokemon to build around isn't against the rules. In case, let me know!

Reviving time for this thread perhaps? I would like to suggest a team surrounding this Bulky Starmie set:

Starmie @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Hydro Pump

Its my favorite spinner in the meta and I like to suprise bulky water types with thunderbolt. I just suck at building so here I am.
1637660975549.png

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello everyone! Just a couple of things to announce:

1) I am officially revamping this thread since it was clearly dying towards the end of last year, heck even before that. Not sure what it was, but either way, this Lab will move to the 2.0 stage once I have gathered a few new builders. Which brings me to my other note.....

2) xerovis, GW, and turtledoggo1 are stepping down from the Lab. The rest of the lab staff and myself thank you for your time and effort with fulfilling these requests. Togkey will be added to the staff as a builder so let's give them a round of applause.

So, the Lab is currently closed until I find about 2-3 more builders. If you think you'd be a great fit, message me on Smogon or on Discord (Oathkeeper#2335) and then I'll take a look at your reasoning for wanting to be added in addition to running it by the rest of the staff.

Side note: I do apologize for the requests above that never got fulfilled, with tours, tier shifts, and the holidays that were going on, it was tough to stay on it.

Oathkeeper

"Wait!" he says, do I look like a waiter?
is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Alrighty folks, let's welcome NU great neomon to the Lab staff and once again welcome Togkey to the staff. We decided to make our staff somewhat shorter than it was before. With that said, we're officially OPEN again! Just want to remind requesters of a couple of things when requesting a team.
  • Check the OP for details on requesting, but this is probably the big thing: we will NOT accept requests for teams that are to be built around a mon that isn't on the SS NU Viability Rankings. We as the staff may add unranked mons to your team if they deem a good fit at the time, but if you were to make a request around something like CM Swoobat, it WILL be ignored. Simple rule to follow so please do so!
  • Your request can be one mon or a core that you wanted a team around, either one is fine, just make sure it follows the above rule.
  • Other than that, we're ready to build and help!

Requesting for a team around machamp, preferably a guts set. If possible I'd like it to be a bulky offense.

Machamp @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

The set I was thinking, but changes would be just as fine. Thanks :heart:

Reviving time for this thread perhaps? I would like to suggest a team surrounding this Bulky Starmie set:

Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Hydro Pump

Its my favorite spinner in the meta and I like to suprise bulky water types with thunderbolt. I just suck at building so here I am.
View attachment 387220
If someone still want to make a team with funny Patrick Starfish here, be my guest : )

Requesting for a team around machamp, preferably a guts set. If possible I'd like it to be a bulky offense.

Machamp @ Flame Orb
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off

The set I was thinking, but changes would be just as fine. Thanks :heart:
Thank you for submitting a Request, Emil Heskey! The new and improved teambuilding lab proudly presents your Guts Machamp team.

:Machamp:
Machamp @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Bullet Punch
the star of the show and near impossible to switch in to, great choice :) Machamp is a phenomenal breaker because it not only doesn't mind status, but actually benefits from it. Machamp also boasts unwallable coverage all with very high base power moves, and access to priority to pick off things that somehow manage to take a single hit from it.

:Dragalge:
Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 120 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Flip Turn
- Toxic Spikes
Dragalge as a pivot synergizes perfectly with Machamp, forcing in Steel and Rock types to take it on that allow Machamp to pivot in safely through Flip Turn and wreck havoc. Toxic Spikes can be very useful to weaken opposing walls for your teammates, but Scald could be used for consistent damage on Mudsdale or Thunder(bolt) for Mantine.

:indeedee-f:
Indeedee-F (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Modest Nature
- Expanding Force
- Mystical Fire
- Trick
- Healing Wish
One issue with Machamp is the fact that it can be weakened into range of revenge killers very easily simply by virtue of always being statused and attacking with contact moves exclusively. Healing Wish can allow Machamp to come back into the game and be ready to make those 2 for 1 trades its so good at making all over again. Modest is used in favor of Timid here to pick up surprise OHKO's on potential opposing Machamp pivot Talonflame with Expanding Force.

SilvallyGround.png

Silvally-Ground @ Ground Memory
Ability: RKS System
Jolly Nature
- Multi-Attack
- Rock Slide
- Flame Charge
- Swords Dance
Silvally Ground is yet another breaker meant to complement Machamp. Flame Charge is used here to sweep weakened teams after Machamp punches a hole in them, and to help increase the speed of the team even further due to Indeedee using a Modest nature. You could very easily use a Timid nature on Indeedee and U-Turn on Silvally to pivot and allow Machamp even more opportunities to come in, although while in testing, overly relying on Machamp can be very risky in some matchups.

:Dhelmise:
Dhelmise
Ability: Steelworker
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 96 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Synthesis
Dhelmise fits on the team as an excellent Ground resist and hazard remover. Mantine, Tsareena, and Rotom-Mow fit these needs but still struggle against Silvally Ground, while Dhelmise doesn't. Dhelmise is itemless to take Knock Off's in a pinch and grant an immunity to Poltergeist, letting you check Golurk very effectively.

:Copperajah:
Copperajah @ Leftovers
Ability: Heavy Metal
EVs: 156 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Power Whip
- Heat Crash
All that is needed now is a Stealth Rock setter and a Steel type, so you get one choice lol. Copperajah is another Pokemon who can force large amounts of damage on teams to completely destroy stuff with Machamp and allow Indeedee and Silvally to sweep.

Here is another version of the team edited by Danny with a more balance-oriented approach. This team focuses more heavily on pivoting to allow Machamp to come in more often.

As stated before, one could use U-Turn on Silvally and Timid on Indeedee. These pretty much must go together otherwise opposing speed control, such as Choice Scarf Passimian becomes a huge issue for the team.

If you want to see the team in action, here are some replays where Machamp is able to blow large holes in teams to allow his teammates to clean up.
Replay 1
Replay 2

Last edited:

Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Hydro Pump

View attachment 387220
Wubben, apologies for a delayed response, but here is our best attempt to build around Rapid Spin Starmie.

We did edit the set a bit; without a Life Orb, Analytic, and max Special Attack investment, Starmie will simply not do any damage with Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt. For this reason we adopted a moveset better suited for a utility Pokemon in Scald and Toxic.

:starmie: :guzzlord: :garbodor: :silvally: :diancie: :rotom-mow:

:guzzlord:
We started the building process with Guzzlord, as it grants a resistance to Dark, Ghost, Electric, and Grass for Starmie and also checks all spinblockers for Starmie.

:garbodor:
Garbodor sporting a Rocky Helmet to punish U-turn spam. Spikes paired with Guzzlord's Dragon Tail pair very well together, accruing a large amount of damage even from a defensive core.

:silvally:
Silvally-Ground provides some offensive pressure for the team, an Electric immunity, and it benefits greatly from Garbodor's Spikes, especially when it can force in checks and U-Turn out while they get damaged by Spikes.

:Diancie:
Diancie provides some good type resistances, but most importantly provides Stealth Rock and Heal Bell in one slot. Diancie is an effective check to some breakers such as Exploud or Goodra.

:Rotom-Mow:
Choice Scarf Rotom-Mow wraps up the speed control needs on an otherwise slow team. TrickScarf with Nasty Plot is freed up over Defog because Starmie has Rapid Spin, meaning Rotom-Mow can destroy very bulky teams in match-ups where it doesn't need a Choice Scarf.

This team is fairly weak to Goodra (what team isn't) so you may have to do some creative pivoting around it. The Starmie set was quite difficult to build around, as most teams typically don't start with a utility hazard remover, so it was a challenge to make, and we hope you enjoy it.

Wubben, apologies for a delayed response, but here is our best attempt to build around Rapid Spin Starmie.

We did edit the set a bit; without a Life Orb, Analytic, and max Special Attack investment, Starmie will simply not do any damage with Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt. For this reason we adopted a moveset better suited for a utility Pokemon in Scald and Toxic.

:starmie: :guzzlord: :garbodor: :silvally: :diancie: :rotom-mow:

:guzzlord:
We started the building process with Guzzlord, as it grants a resistance to Dark, Ghost, Electric, and Grass for Starmie and also checks all spinblockers for Starmie.

:garbodor:
Garbodor sporting a Rocky Helmet to punish U-turn spam. Spikes paired with Guzzlord's Dragon Tail pair very well together, accruing a large amount of damage even from a defensive core.

:silvally:
Silvally-Ground provides some offensive pressure for the team, an Electric immunity, and it benefits greatly from Garbodor's Spikes, especially when it can force in checks and U-Turn out while they get damaged by Spikes.

:Diancie:
Diancie provides some good type resistances, but most importantly provides Stealth Rock and Heal Bell in one slot. Diancie is an effective check to some breakers such as Exploud or Goodra.

:Rotom-Mow:
Choice Scarf Rotom-Mow wraps up the speed control needs on an otherwise slow team. TrickScarf with Nasty Plot is freed up over Defog because Starmie has Rapid Spin, meaning Rotom-Mow can destroy very bulky teams in match-ups where it doesn't need a Choice Scarf.

This team is fairly weak to Goodra (what team isn't) so you may have to do some creative pivoting around it. The Starmie set was quite difficult to build around, as most teams typically don't start with a utility hazard remover, so it was a challenge to make, and we hope you enjoy it.
I love it! thank you Togkey! :D

Hello. I would like a team built around Hone Claws Aerodactyl. Seems fun to try now that Bronzong is gone. Here is the set I want it built around:

Aerodactyl @ Life Orb
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail

Hi, I would like to see a team built around AoA Duraludon. I think the little bit of extra speed to let you out speed Goodra is pretty cool right now, and body press can 2HKO Coppers. Ebelt tbolt lets you keep the pressure up on Vaporeon so you can fish for a Paralysis to take it out. Unfortunately, this set doesn’t really get you past Escav, so pairing with something that also wears it down would be necessary.

Duraludon @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Ability: Light Metal
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt

Hi, I would like to see a team built around AoA Duraludon. I think the little bit of extra speed to let you out speed Goodra is pretty cool right now, and body press can 2HKO Coppers. Ebelt tbolt lets you keep the pressure up on Vaporeon so you can fish for a Paralysis to take it out. Unfortunately, this set doesn’t really get you past Escav, so pairing with something that also wears it down would be necessary.

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt
We've got something in the works for you Ski, sorry about the wait :psywoke:

Hi so i started playing NU today and i needed a team so can I get a team build around Goodra. Preferably spike stack balance. It can be any set you like but on the special side or it can be mixed. Thanks in advance
Hey friend, as I'm sure you know, Goodra is currently being suspect tested! This means that on the 18th, there is a chance Goodra could be banned from the tier. To avoid making you an unusable team, it's been decided best to wait to see the result of the suspect test. I hope this team made by S1nn0hC0nfirm3d and suggested by Danny is enough to tide you over.

Hey friend, as I'm sure you know, Goodra is currently being suspect tested! This means that on the 18th, there is a chance Goodra could be banned from the tier. To avoid making you an unusable team, it's been decided best to wait to see the result of the suspect test. I hope this team made by S1nn0hC0nfirm3d and suggested by Danny is enough to tide you over.
Thank you so much. I will try it and sorry I didn't knew about the Goodra suspect test during the time i posted that
Sorry again

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Body Press
- Thunderbolt

Here's your Aoa Duraludon squad Mr. Erdude.

I changed Thunderbolt to Thunder for better odds to beat down Vaporeon*

:diancie: I added Diancie to make up for Duraludon's like of Steel-type qualities such as walling Exploud or Dragalge. This Diancie has Mystical Fire to lure Escavalier which like you mentioned is something that Duraludon can struggle with. DiamondPress Diancie would suffice as well. :diancie:

:dhelmise: With Duraludon and Diancie, I wanted a sturdy Silvally-Ground check and a Water resist. I decided to use use Dhelmise as it also checks off the need for Hazard removal and gives a Poltergeist immunity. :dhelmise:

:togedemaru: I initially had Scarf Passimian here but had no way to add a Volt-immune later on in building. Togedemaru as a Scarfer provides nice speed control and can Nuzzle stuff for Duraludon. :togedemaru:

:vaporeon: Vaporeon is a backup Blastoise check and can use Toxic because Diancie has Heal Bell. Toxic also lets you deal with Goodra better. :vaporeon:

:talonflame: Talonflame adds some much-needed Speed and a Fighting resist to the team. Syngergizes well with Vaporeon and Dhelmise. :talonflame:

I know it's lower on the viability ranking, but could I get a try for Inteleon with Sniper/Scope Lens/Snipe Shot? (Unless my research is mistaken, +2 to Crit chance with Scope Lens and Snipe Shot is a 50% chance to crit). Preferably on or close to a bulky offense team.

Thanks in advance, you all do great community work helping people with teams!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)