Metagame SS Monotype Suspect #3 - Urshifu-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll give my late two cents.

In my opinion, Urshifu is a great Pokemon, but not broken. While it is very strong against some meta types, in particular Psychic and Steel, I believe most types do have counter play to the mon. Being a Dark/Fighting type, Fairies still serve as a decent check. This don't only apply to Fairy teams, but other types like Electric (Koko), Water (Fini, Azu, Prim), Poison (Weezing G), Ice (Ninetails A), etc. Also, while it is a very potent wallbreaker with Band or Bulk Up, it still can be checked fairly by Pokemon like Mandibuzz, defensive Lando, Skarmory, Clefable, and others.

Yes, it can put a huge dent to the rest of the meta. I feel like, right now, there are a couple other viable Pokemon that one could argue are similar. Nodoby wants to switch into a Wicked Blow, but the same goes for a Moonblast from Specs Lele, an Ice Beam from Kyurem, a Shadow Ball from Spectrier, etc. Tl:dr I think Urshifu is great, but not broken.

Here is the flaw I see with this argument. Zeraora usually doesn't have the room for sub and steel can easily switch around untill excadrill comes in and force it out. NP hydrei has a very simple counter called sub mind moonblast jirachi and in the case of scarf hydrei, scarf jira play rough is an ohko. scor sand victini has an easy switch called balloon heatran. Steel type users simply has to preserve the balloon and victini is kept in check. CM keldeo has decent answers as well. For example, spdef aegis can tank a few hits, break sub, and chip to put in scarf drill eq range. Plus, another I see is the fact that melm can tank several attacks. DIB breaks sub and deals heafty damage in return:
252 SpA Hydreigon Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Melmetal: 272-320 (57.3 - 67.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 360-426 (75.9 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(victini doesn't usually carry scor sand to begin with, vcreate needs band to ohko)
+1 252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 306-360 (64.5 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO(doesn't even ohko at +1)
+1 252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Melmetal: 381-448 (80.3 - 94.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ Atk Zeraora Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 202-238 (42.6 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO(doesn't 2hko reliably at +1)
Scarf Excadrill actually fails to check Zeraora due to the common presence of Air Balloon Magnezone, who switches in and KOs exca with body press, while unscarfed variants drop to close combat. Jirachi isn't switching into hydrei unless you want it to die to dark pulse.

When I talk about scorching sands Victini, I'm referring to the following set:

Victini @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Blue Flare
- Bolt Strike (to kill mantine/araquanid)
- Scorching Sands
- Substitute

Air Balloon Heatran gets straight up 2HKOed by this set, while melmetal gets OHKOed:

4 Atk Victini Bolt Strike vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 90-106 (27.8 - 32.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Victini Scorching Sands vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 244-288 (75.5 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Victini Blue Flare vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Melmetal: 504-594 (106.3 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

SPD aegislash is not an answer to sub CM Keldeo. Assuming it switches into Calm Mind, it has to win a 50/50 between toxic/ball vs sub/cm that isn't in aegi's favor as Keldeo can afford to sub multiple times, and if it guesses wrong you're dealing with a +2/+2 keldeo behind a sub which is basically game over.

Here the thing with ursh:
252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Melmetal: 474-560 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Now with psychic.
252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Colbur Berry Slowbro on a critical hit: 219-258 (55.5 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You call this a switch?
Also, you completely glossed over scarf. Fighting and dark can easily sack a mon to bring in scarf ursh and start wrecking havoc. Maybe ursh fell short of a sweep by its team mates and heavily take advantage or thank. Against lele, fighting has cobalion
Good players will be able to scoot out lele's set and bring CB ursh under safe circumstances because guess what, if lele is not scarfed, it doesn't outspeed CB ursh and gets ohkoed:
252 Atk Choice Band Urshifu Wicked Blow vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele on a critical hit: 373-441 (132.7 - 156.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO.

Also, don't compared mega sharp to ursh. Sharp has much lower defense while having similar spdef. Mega gallade was a decent check to sharp on psychic while ghost had access to mimikyu which at the time can still run sash which allows mimi to ohko sharp. Gengar also outspeed +1 sharp with scarf and ko's with fblast, even if its focus miss, gengar has access to both tbolt and energyball.
I don't think it's unhealthy adaptation to expect psychic players to bring scarf lele to beat banded urshifu.

The point of colbur berry Slowbro is not to switch into dark types, it's there to prevent them from 6-0ing you (see: things like agility moltres-galar). It's not a surprise that it can't switch into Urshifu, that isn't the point of the set.

I don't know what your memories of gen7 were, but Mega Gallade was a shaky check at best to Sharpedo as it didn't beat sub variants due to CC defense drops. Mimikyu has never run sash; sash Mimikyu is an awful set even in gen7 since it has disguise to revenge kill things anyways. Outspeeding +1 sharpedo is nearly irrelevant when it can get to +2 speed relatively easily.

That's a bold assumption to assume that your opponent is going to be kind enough to let Urshifu stay in on a ridiculously telegraphed Fairy move. Also...

252+ Atk Choice Band Urshifu Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Klefki: 246-291 (77.3 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
I'm not sure they really have a choice but to stay in. Assuming they're running something that looks like one of the dark sample teams, they can't really afford to give CM/Iron Def kelfki a free turn to boost; it's an exceptionally dangerous sweeper against all of those teams.

Not to mention Draining Kiss doesn't even OHKO (EDIT: and honestly, Klefki has better options for its moveslots), and neither does Scarf Magnezone for that matter:

252+ SpA Magnezone Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 244-288 (71.5 - 84.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
If you actually tried to beat Urshifu in the builder instead of unproductively whining about it, you'd know the following calc:

252 SpA Magnezone Steel Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 346-408 (101.4 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Also draining kiss KOs assuming urshifu is trying to kill Kelfki due to CC's defense drop.

RE: Cobalion:

0- SpA Cobalion Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Urshifu: 320-380 (93.8 - 111.4%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Focus Blast Cobalion looks good, but one, it's Focus Miss we're talking about here (and after miss chances, you have less than a 50% chance to OHKO iirc), and two, I would honestly consider this unhealthy adaptation; what are you gonna give up for Focus Blast?? Also, Jirachi just gets annihilated if Urshifu is Scarf.
You're definitely arguing in bad faith and it's hard to take you seriously here. Anyone using focus blast to check Urshifu is obviously not going to run a minus spa nature. What I "give up" for focus blast depends on the set I'm running. For example if I'm running a specially based scarf set, I would run the following:

Cobalion @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Stone Edge (for zard/volcarona/etc)

Also, I already addressed scarf Urshifu by stating it can't break steel as effectively due to not being able to 2HKO corviknight or skarmory.

On top of all this, what are you gonna do if Urshifu is behind screens, which is likely to be the case on Dark thanks to Grimmsnarl???
Screens are its own issue; I'm not going to talk about screens here but it suffices to say if assumed screens were always up for all mons we would be banning quite a few things, especially in such an offensive metagame. Having said that, if you really want to beat screens + BU shifu (let's be real we can assume its bulk up on screens) you can run sub jirachi (stalls out screens with sub) or whirlwind Skarmory (force it out so it has to set up without screens in play).

The problem I have with this is while those moms do dunk on steel, they all generally require a turn to setup (no tini but the point stands). Urshifu doesn’t need that plus it had wicked blow + unseen fist, letting it just click moves without generally any drawback. That in itself makes it uncompetitive and unhealthy for the metagame imo
This is a good point and IMO a reasonable ban argument. Having said that, I disagree with this sentiment; the other mons can quite easily 6-0 you if you lose prediction games which you don't really have control over (e.g. if they sub on your seed/toxic attempt and attack with the appropriate move/setup a sub or boosting move otherwise), while if I'm facing banded Urshifu I know it's not going to 6-0 me; I can sac something I don't need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)