Online Competition Spooky Cup 2021

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

New online competition coming up! It's time for gen 8's version of Spooky Cup. We've had Halloween-themed competitions many times before, the last time it was doubles though was in gen 6 (thread).

Getting your head around the Pokemon that are allowed will be a bit tricky since what Nintendo deem "spooky" is very strange. There's a few Pokemon thrown in there that frustratingly don't fit the theme but are going to be insanely strong...

RULES:
  • Double battles (bring 6, pick 4 at team preview)
  • Item clause
  • All Pokemon become level 50 during battle.
  • Pokemon list:
    Vileplume, Tentacruel, Gengar, Marowak, Alolan Marowak, Weezing, Galarian Weezing, Mr. Mime, Galarian Mr. Mime, Pinsir, Ditto, Omastar, Kabutops, Aerodactyl, Noctowl, Crobat, Espeon, Umbreon, Wobbuffet, Shiftry, Shedinja, Exploud, Sableye, Mawile, Sharpedo, Lunatone, Crawdaunt, Baltoy, Claydol, Absol, Glalie, Drifblim, Skuntank, Spiritomb, Drapion, Toxicroak, Abomasnow, Weavile, Tangrowth, Electivire, Magmortar, Dusknoir, Froslass, Rotom (all formes), Liepard, Gigalith, Swoobat, Scolipede, Basculin, Krookodile, Sigilyph, Cofagrigus, Garbodor, Zoroark, Gothitelle, Jellicent, Galvantula, Beheeyem, Chandelure, Golurk, Bisharp, Mandibuzz, Hydreigon, Volcarona, Pangoro, Meowstic, Aegislash, Slurpuff, Malamar, Trevenant, Gourgeist, Noivern, Decidueye, Incineroar, Lycanroc, Toxapex, Araquanid, Shiinotic, Salazzle, Bewear, Golisopod, Palossand, Silvally, Mimikyu, Dhelmise, Nihilego, Xurkitree, Guzzlord, Poipole, Naganadel, Blacephalon, Corviknight, Orbeetle, Thievul, Coalossal, Centiskorch, Grapploct, Polteageist, Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, Obstagoon, Cursola, Mr. Rime, Runerigus, Dracovish, Dragapult, Spectrier

You'll notice that Dracovish is the only gen 8 fossil allowed, and not a lot of water resists are available. Incineroar and Coalossal are in for whatever reason, as well as Dynamax and Gigantamax.

This format is available in Showdown right now for practice. Official matches on Nintendo Switch are from Oct 15th 00:00am UTC. Sign up from the Online Competitions menu within Battle Stadium on Sword and Shield.

Friendly Competitions: 15664DHBW (Oct 10th 2:00am-5:00am UTC)

This will be my first Online up entry. Started preparing last week, pretty excited not going to lie other than Dynamax / Gigantamax being permitted. As a somewhat new VGC player (Few months now) I just hope to win a game here and there :)

I think Coalossal is going to be a huge threat. With Regieleki gone it can now outrun the unboosted meta with just 28 EVs at +6 (Dragapult). Since Incineroar is gone (yay) I wonder if Krookodile could be a good replacemen. Either way, looking forward to playing this

I think Coalossal is going to be a huge threat. With Regieleki gone it can now outrun the unboosted meta with just 28 EVs at +6 (Dragapult). Since Incineroar is gone (yay) I wonder if Krookodile could be a good replacemen. Either way, looking forward to playing this
Incineroar is allowed - see the list in the first post and serebii

Interesting mon picks. If you attempt to bring a forbidden mon, it'll tell you that it's banned for not being spooky enough. Odd, since there are definitely some mons on here that one would no consider spooky.

I learned about the Coalossal tactic doing some research prior & I thought I would core that strategy but It's not my style of play I feel investing heavy into set up (Even though it seems to be an instant set up lol) For checking a +6 Coalossal would trick room be the ultimate answer in this case or could a couple of mons check it still with speed intact? I plan to run Dragapult regardless because he's one of my favourite for competitive battles. Appreciate any insight from you og's.

I plan on running a very anti-Dracovish strat including Dry Skin Toxicroak, Guzzlord and Neutralizing Gas Weezing. Plus the old GMax Hatterene with Liepard should hopefully ensure trick room can get up with maximum damage too.

Quick report / questions as a first time tournament player

First day of the cup I got home late for work. I was still changing my team around and breading last second for one or two moves and decided on the final team. I ended up starting my first battle around 11pm and got 5 battles in. I was super happy with my plays and my slightly odd team as I’m still new to building. I ended up with 3 wins and 2 losses finishing overall around 2200 for the day. I must say tournament matches has this different type of feeling to it and I really enjoy it.

Today for day 2 I wanted to keep developing my team plays and try not to loose them all lol. Made a bunch of notes about my own team and the day 1 plays. After 14 battles I ended up with 8 wins & 6 losses finishing overall at 857. They were some of the best matches I have had playing vgc, tried to not get annoyed or frustrated & just play on while learning each battle.

My last 3 wins were against higher ranking players and my last one much higher. I see how much of a difference it made for the overall. I guess my question is do most people do the full 15 battles each day no matter their results or can you not play some battles and still not have your overall score / rank tank?

I had zero expectation going into this spooky cup. Already pretty happy as I just wanted to win any if possible. I have Learned so much in a short time & for future tournaments I will be much more confident.

Thanks in advance

Pretty much just threw a random team together since I'm crazy busy this month lol.

Krookodile --> Life Orb
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Protect
Crunch
Earthquake
Rock Slide

Rotom-W --> Expert Belt
252 Sp. Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Will-O-Wisp
Helping Hand
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball

Coalossal --> Weakness Policy
252 Special Attack, 252 HP, 6 Sp. Defense
IV spread specific to outspeed what it needs to, but low enough to outspeed a lot of TRers
Overheat
Meteor Beam
Earth Power
Solarbeam

Dragapult --> Focus Sash
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP
Psychic Fangs
Phantom Force
Surf
Dragon Darts

Incineroar --> Aguav Berry
252 Attack, 252 Defense, 6 HP, Speed - 0
Fake Out
Brick Break
Flare Blitz
Darkest Lariat

Guzzlord --> Assault Vest
252 Sp. Attack, 252 HP, 6 Sp. Defense, Speed - 0
Sludge Bomb
Heat Wave
Dark Pulse
Draco Meteor

As expected did just average for a random put together team. A lot of opponents were overthinking Coalossal, TR teams kept thinking it was a quick varient or that it would use Steam Engine against them. Guzzlord swept a few teams that were unprepared to hit it hard. The one thing i wish i had time to put on the team was a Steel type. Coalossal is great against Hatterene with its bulk, but most of the team gets hit pretty hard by it.

First Tournament ever / cup in the books. Considering I have never built my own team to battle meta / no showdown testing I was pleased with how I did with my Pokemon. The two moves I messed up not picking were.. not putting play rough on Mimikyu & not having foul play on Umbreon. I did put Play rough on Kyu but I must not have saved my game with the change.. reset the system and went into register my team. Like I mentioned I was still assembling the team late night on the first day of the cup. Next time I will be much more prepared way further in advance. Luckily, I was playing with Incin, Umbreon & Grimmsnarl in random matches throughout the month & were familiar with them. Those were the 3 mons I knew I for sure wanted as a staple on my team. They don't have a synergy per say or "set up" but they were going on the team because of how comfortable I am with them.

Corviknight was my star mon with Dynamax boosted Def / Weakness policy Atk boost / Mirror armor stat drops with protect & roost for board positioning & survival while boosted. Dracovish was ideal for damage output & board re positioning with protect being used at the right times. Umbreon really stopped a lot of hard hitting special attackers & survived many dynamax hits with snarl pop off's / Moonlight. I didn't use Grimm as much as I thought.. I ran into some brick breakers first bunch of games and a lot of Fairy pokemon hitting super hard but it did come out on top in a few battles when I did use him. Incineroar was always a great pivot, attacker & survivor in many different match ups. Mimikyu was my last choice for the team with a trick room option if needed using disguise to get it up. That came in handy a few times against some speedy mons & let the rest of my team hit first & hard. I probably should of had swords dance but TR was more important to me as I didn't have a dedicated TR setter.

" The Undead Knights"

Grimmsnarl (Clay / Prankster)

Atk +252 HP +252 SDef +4

Reflect
Light screen
Spirit break
Thunderwave

Dracovish (Mystic Water / Strong Jaw)

Atk +252 HP +100 Sdef +52 Spd +100
Fishious rend
Crunch
Protect
Psychic Fangs

Incineroar (Intimidate / Sitrus Berry)

HP +208 ATK+252 Sdef +8 Spd +40
Darkest Lariat
Fake out
Flare Blitz,
Parting shot

Umbreon (Leftovers / Inner focus)

HP +252 Def +156 Sdef +100
Snarl
helping hand
yawn
Moonlight

Mimikyu (Expert Belt / Disguise)

HP +252 ATK +252 Def +4
Shadow Sneak
Shadow claw
Trick room
Protect

Corviknight (Weakness Policy / Mirror Armor)

HP +252 Atk +4 Spdef +252
Fly
Iron head
Roost
Protect

Result / Conclusion

Day 1 (3 W 2 L)
Day 2 (8 W 6 L)
Day 3 (7 W 6 L)

Ranking 1562 Overall standing 1027

I hope to better my game play in the future but was happy I didn't lose every game. Learned a lot & I enjoy Tournament play very much. I plan to use Showdown in the near future to better predict which teams are in store before an event but also to just learn a lot more about battling in general.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)