Hobbies Splatoon 3 Discussion Thread

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
There is no (newly created) Splatoon thread, so I am going to change that. Post here about ANYTHING Splatoon-related! Mostly Splatoon 3, though.

Rules:
1. Don't make any inflammatory statements towards other people. Bashing people for using a certain weapon, liking a certain aspect of the game, etc.
2. Do not post inappropriate content in any way, shape, or form.
3. Avoiding one-liners / back-and-forth conversations with little substance would be preferred; it keeps things interesting and keeps conversations alive and well.
4. Have fun!

To start us off:
  • What are your thoughts on the current state of the game?
  • Favorite weapon? Least favorite weapon?
  • Are you enjoying the new customization options?
  • Have you tried Tabletop Turf War yet? What are your thoughts?

Sulo

shifting stars
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
National Dex Leader
Favorite weapon? Least favorite weapon?
I'll answer my own question (this was my idea entirely) as an example.

Currently, my favorite weapon to watch (and hopefully use soon) is the Tri Stringer / REEF-LUX-450. The paint output that the RL450 is providing is absolutely insane from a viewer standpoint, and though it has a 210P special, it still seems to output Tenta Missles REALLY often. The Tri Stringer fits my style pretty well, with long range pressure and constant annoyance through its bolts exploding on contact with the ground + Toxic Mist (bad sub weapon but it kind of works LOL) and Killer Wail. Definitely a high-tier pick IMO. As for my least favorite weapon, I'd say its probably the Undercover Brella. It stays as an incredibly weak main weapon from the transition to Splatoon 3, and its kit is like, really weirdly incoherent. Not a fan.

nya

<3
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor
PS Admin
Hewwo :3

I just picked up the series w/ 3 and ngl I'm finding it really hard to stop playing the game. Considered picking up both 1 and 2 but never got around to either so figured now was a good time to start.

I spent like two months trying out every weapon and there's soooo many I want to play rn it's genuinely hard to choose. I think I'm gonna try to main the Nautilus though. Not huge on its kit rn (Point sensor [derogatory]) but being able to hold charge w/ a splatling removes so much of what I dislike about that class and I love how adaptable the main weapon is. Praying it gets a kit w/ a better mobility sub.

Least favourite's probably like Splatana wiper or any of the duelies. I'm not sure how to effectively use the wiper and I just suck so badly with duelies. Every time I dodge roll I die and then I blame lag instead of myself. (It's a very healthy cycle)

This game desperately needs more maps I think. I'm kinda bored of the current selection especially when so many of them have like no approach options and heavily favour chargers. (Scorch, Mincement, Eeltail, Mahi, Hammerhead, Undertow).

Tri-Colour turf war sounded way more fun in theory tbh. Maybe it's because I've been on the defense for all 3 splatfests but I haaaate playing this mode right now. Desperately needs major rebalancing because it's just not at all fun on defense. Especially on Sturgeon. (No I'm not just tilt posting because I lost 10 tri colours tonight and won 0)

Currently, my favorite weapon to watch (and hopefully use soon) is the Tri Stringer / REEF-LUX-450.
Crying. I love playing gootuber but missile spam weapons make me hate playing the game. Dread every match w/ a flingza, reeflux or gootuber just because missiles is such an obnoxious special to fight against.

s/o Team Water btw

Oml, finally get to have a thread like this. I'm an (retired) XP 2550 S2 comp vet who has been no life-ing Splatoon 3 since release (I'm on my 6th catalogue LOL). I recently got to s+50 and i'm a third of the way to 9999p.

My currents thoughts on the game is that it's overall very solid and a huge improvement from S2. There are some glaring flaws, like Machine, Fizzy Bomb, Charger (the maps have no flanks or good hiding spots to dodge charger), and Tenta Missiles. I'm really looking forward to the balance patch and new season to see where the meta takes us.

My favorite weapon has the be Sloshing Machine. I love the Slosher class as a whole and mained Kensa Machine and Tri Slosher in S2. I really enjoy the kit they gave machine in this game as it's literally perfect for the weapon. Booyah Bomb allows machine to stay alive and hunt for more kills while Fizzy allows machine combo options and movement potential. My least favorite weapon is probably Reef-Lux 450 right now as it's mostly used for missile spam currently but the main weapon has a lot of cool potential with the hold charge. more generally, I not a huge fan of rollers as all my weapons have losing match ups vs them.

I love all the customization currently and look forward to the new ones they'll add in the future. My favorite new thing are the new hair styles. Combining with the next one, I haven't tried table turf yet, but it looks fun.

I'm currently on Team Grass for the Splatfest, and if anyone wants to play before it ends and I'm awake, my discord is Frito#0135 and my friend code is SW-6974-1481-1508. Feel free to add me on both if you ever want to play open, turf, or salmon!

Sulo

shifting stars
National Dex Leader
My favorite weapon has the be Sloshing Machine. I love the Slosher class as a whole and mained Kensa Machine and Tri Slosher in S2.
I've recently been playing Kensa Machine more in Splatoon 2, and I've gotta say, I think I'm gonna enjoy it a lot in Splatoon 3 as well. You covered a lot of the main points, but Fizzy Bomb just lets you play in a much more freestyle-like way, with long-range pressure / special farming / kill potential, etc. The main weapon is also hella cracked tbh. Hitbox should NOT be as large as it is in both games.
My least favorite weapon is probably Reef-Lux 450 right now as it's mostly used for missile spam currently but the main weapon has a lot of cool potential with the hold charge.
Banned for RL450 hate... :changry:

Seriously, though, I think keeping Tenta Missiles just enables such stupid playstyles and compositions. You can still have comps focused on missile spam, though its not as huge as it was in Splatoon 3. It's still a major issue though and Sub Defense Up not defending against missiles and other miscellaneous indirect buffs make it even MORE annoying to deal with. RL450 is a major catalyst of such issues rn.

Seriously, though, I think keeping Tenta Missiles just enables such stupid playstyles and compositions. You can still have comps focused on missile spam, though its not as huge as it was in Splatoon 3. It's still a major issue though and Sub Defense Up not defending against missiles and other miscellaneous indirect buffs make it even MORE annoying to deal with. RL450 is a major catalyst of such issues rn.
yeah idk how they managed to "nerf" missiles and then make them even better in this game. every time i see a missile weapon, it brings me back to s2 endgame that made me quit. I really hope they do some sort of rework to missiles so they stop promoting such passive playstyles. my favorite rework idea was something thought of by a pro player (ProChara) where missiles are affected by line of site and don't kill as consistently as they do, while not allowing them to be charged until the previous missiles have landed. This gets rid of the spammy nature while allowing them to keep their tracking effects. Im curious to hear other people's thoughts on how missiles should be nerfed/reworked.

I also would like to pose another question to the thread:
  • What is your favorite mode?

My favorite mode would have to be Clam Blitz as I feel it's the most complete and complex ranked mode out there. While it's known for being awful in soloq, it's one of the best modes in a coordinated setting making use of all the fundamentals in the game. The mode at its core is about painting and map control while using your specials together to create a massive push. I might be a slight bit biased because of my comp background and top 500 in Clams in s2, but I really enjoy the mode and wish it saw a bit more love from the general community

After the solid gunplay and creative stages of octo expansion I am so desperate for a good splatoon singleplayer campaign. Sadly this game does not deliver. Salmon run is p good though

Splatoon thread:quagchamppogsire:
I started out playing the series near the beginning of splatoon 2, I was kind of garbage but it was really fun, I especially liked watching comp splatoon. I ended up losing interest right around when main power up came out (guess I dodged a bullet lol), then I came back for 3 because it looked a lot more fun.
Not really sure what my favorite weapon is rn, If I had to pick a favorite weapon it’s probably the splatana wiper, although I do enjoy playing flingza:blobpex: and normal roller. I used to be a carbon main but it’s kit rn is kinda bad (please give burst zooka for the deco kit) so splatana wiper is the closest thing with a fun kit. As for least favorite weapon it’s probably reef-lux because missiles, the main weapon is cool but it has absurd painting capability+missiles so I hate it.
I find the meta really fun right now, it’s at the very least way better than the meta in 2(armor, ray, and missiles:fukyu:)that being said there is one glaring issue, the maps. Most of the maps are not fun to play on, and they heavily favor chargers due to the general lack of flanking routes on most of the maps. Maps like Mahi, Wahoo, Hammerhead, and Mincemeat really detract from my enjoyment of the game. The rest of the maps aren’t bad ig, but most of them are mediocre with a couple good ones like Hagglefish and Mako Mart. The maps are a pretty key piece of the game and if they aren’t fun to play it’s a pretty big issue. Some smaller issues are missiles and Last-Ditch Effort, missiles are missiles, somehow managing to be unfun to use, unfun to fight, and a strong special, all at the same time. LDE is way too easy to activate in ranked, and gives way too much reward for how easy it is to activate/how much gear it takes up, you can pretty much slap LDE on anything and not really have to worry that much about your ink management. It also contributes to special spam/bomb spam playstyles which no one likes. I do really enjoy the game, most of the other elements are fun, especially in comparison to 2, I just hope they can fix the more problematic stuff soon.

Sulo

shifting stars
National Dex Leader
Most of the maps are not fun to play on, and they heavily favor chargers due to the general lack of flanking routes on most of the maps. Maps like Mahi, Wahoo, Hammerhead, and Mincemeat really detract from my enjoyment of the game.
I think this seems to be a really major sentiment, and I really have to agree. The changes they made to Hammerhead were kind of questionable if anything. The map seems to be very linear and favors heavy zoning / long-range pressure and distracts from any sort of smaller engagements half the time with how hard it is to get in. I'm really mad they brought back Wahoo World, though. That map SUCKS.

Well it seems Team Water has swept the Splatfest, so congrats to them and Big Man for finally winning a fest. This was probably the worst Splatfest experience I've had in a long time and I have no idea really why. Pro mode was an absolute nightmare and open was hardly better. Tri-Color was super fun when I actually managed to get it, but it didn't happen anywhere near as much I would have hoped. I hope the next one is a little better because I really enjoy both Splatfest and Turf War.

The one good thing that came out of this fest for me was finally getting my elusive first Top 100 in the fest, getting 40th for Team Grass! I hope to go even higher next time.
IMG_3062.jpeg

How was everyone else's experiences with this Splatfest?

Sulo

shifting stars
National Dex Leader
The one good thing that came out of this fest for me was finally getting my elusive first Top 100 in the fest, getting 40th for Team Grass! I hope to go even higher next time.
Congrats! I'm a little sad that Team Grass has lost, but can you recall any major experiences that may have contributed towards your distaste with this Splatfest? I haven't watched any VODs yet, so I'd love to hear from you if possible.

Also very sad Big Man won. Shiver supremacy.

[C]an you recall any major experiences that may have contributed towards your distaste with this Splatfest?
It's really hard to pinpoint one moment that was truly awful in this fest. The teammates were worse than usual in both pro and open. I know it's splatfest and a lot of newer players are playing, but this time felt especially bad. Comparing to last fest, I could at least recall getting more than 1 "competent" (I don't mean to skill bash here, but there really isn't a better word to describe what happened. This fest genuinely felt like people didn't understand the control scheme of the game) teammate that I wasn't queuing with in open, but this fest I can only think of one (s/o Mountain the Splash-o-Matic who went 15-0). Pro mode was absolute awful with it being completely impossible to grind any points after placements. I got very lucky with a high placement due to my time playing turf war for fun, but after that it took me 8 straight wins to gain 20 points before losing 120 in 3 games. I really wish Tri-Color showed up more often as it was the most fun I've had playing the fest, but it was just too rare unfortunately.

Another issue is now people have figured out the turf war "meta" and it is incredibly unfun. Missiles and Splashes everywhere... Not that this is a bad thing by itself, the turf meta will always be heavily centralized on what allows you to gain the most information and stay alive. Missiles will always make the game not fun to play, and there's really no way around it currently. I hope they're either reworked or heavily nerfed for the next fest. Splash will always be a great turf war weapon so there's not many nerfs they could do to it to remove it from future metas. But queuing into 3 Splash + Missiles was never an enjoyable experience and it happened several times in both pro and open. I hope the next balance patch shakes up the meta a little bit so we can see a bit of diversity

Well it seems Team Water has swept the Splatfest, so congrats to them and Big Man for finally winning a fest. This was probably the worst Splatfest experience I've had in a long time and I have no idea really why. Pro mode was an absolute nightmare and open was hardly better. Tri-Color was super fun when I actually managed to get it, but it didn't happen anywhere near as much I would have hoped. I hope the next one is a little better because I really enjoy both Splatfest and Turf War.

How was everyone else's experiences with this Splatfest?
Sadge team fire lost:psycry: kinda saw it coming tho water seemed pretty popular and they were doing well in battles. The only thing about splatfests I don’t really like is playing turf because turf meta :blobnauseated:. But other than that I enjoyed the fest, especially tri color, it felt like I got a lot more of them this time and they felt way more fair with the new sturgeon layout. It didn’t feel like I, as the attacking team, had a massive advantage since getting into mid was kind of hard and there was less space in your own spawn to turf. Overall I liked the fest.
Also very sad Big Man won. Shiver supremacy.
Nah obviously us Shiver fans intentionally lost so we can shake the definitely totally untrue accusations of rigging the splatfests.

2.0 Trailer :quagchamppogsire:
New Maps:
Flounder is back, and it doesn’t look like too much has changed about it, although we’ll wait to see more. The other map I can’t really tell anything about so I will reserve judgment.
New Weapons:
We have 3(?) new weapons, a shooter, a roller, and a charger. Can’t really tell much about the shooter, the range seems like something between the normal splattershot and the pro, maybe it has some other unique mechanics. The roller seems to be the inverse of the flingza roller, it has wide paint on its roll and a wide kinda slow horizontal flick, and it has a kinda fast thin vertical flick. I didn’t see anything about the kit at first glance but I probably missed something. The charger is the thing we know the most about it, basically you full charge it and you get 5 bamboozler-like shots, it seems to full charge at the very least a little faster than a normal charger(I could be very wrong tho). It was also shown to have tacticooler. The roller could certainly be interesting depending on the kit, as the vertical flick allows it to be aggressive while the horizontal flick allows it to paint well, which could be good depending on the special, ideally the sub is a bomb and the special is something that allows it to apply long-range pressure like crab tank or trizooka. The charger’s main weapon has potential, and tacticooler is a decent enough special, all that remains to be seen is the sub. The shooter we barely know anything about(I didn’t want to analyze the trailer) so I can’t really say anything about viability.
New Kits:
We saw new kits for the mini splatling, Luna blaster, splattershot, splattershot pro, and dapple dualies. The mini splatling has toxic mist and big bubbler as a clear callback to the zinc mini splatling in one. The Luna blaster has fizzy bomb, probably a reference to the kensa kit in 2. The splattershot has splat bomb, either a reference to the wasabi or the ttek in 2, probably the latter. The splattershot pro has booyah bomb I think, probably a reference to the kensa variant. The dapple dualies had torpedo I think, probably referencing the clear kit in 2. All of these kits contained elements from past variants, so I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw some of the specials also be elements from previous kits.
Big Run:
Don’t really have much to say here, just seems like salmon run on wahoo world, not really a big salmon run player so I don’t really know what to say.
Overall update looks pretty cool, only thing I’m iffy about is the new map, some people on Twitter have been saying it’s pretty linear with no real flank routes but idk, I’ll wait for the inevitable trailer analysis to say more.

The new update looks absolutely wild with 3 new weapons and a few new stages. I'm really excited to see how the new weapons actually function, especially the roller, and they look like they have a ton of potential. I hope they add a few more kits than just the 4 that they showed off in the trailer, because otherwise this update will be majorly disappointing content wise imo. The game desperately needs new kits and balance changes to shake up the meta and 4 new kits + 3 potentially viable weapons (that are brand new with seemingly high learning curves) will not do it. No news about any balance changes, so we'll probably hear about those the week of the update which I'm okay with

Big Run looks very interesting, and although I'm not a huge salmon run enthusiast, I'm excited to see how it works in game. To be honest though, we should just let the salmon keep Wahoo World (that map is awful).

Edit: Forgot about X Rank. X Rank is probably the thing I'm most excited for as of now because it'll give me something to grind again. Currently it really feels like there's nothing left for me to do except get 9999p in Anarchy, but that's extremely boring. I'm hoping X Rank's system will be a bit better than Splatoon 2's but my hopes are not high. Maybe the influx of new players will help balance out the system and give better lobbies... only time can really tell.

Edit 2: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/a-new-season-of-splatoon-3-content-is-about-to-surface/ According to this article from Nintendo, there will be 10 new kits, so everyone start praying your weapons get one of the 6 remaining new kits!

Last edited:

Sulo

shifting stars
National Dex Leader
I have FINALLY acquired Splatoon 3! I must say this is a huge step up in terms of quality and gameplay, of course; but that goes without saying.

Some thoughts below:
  • I think I'm in love with the Splatana Wiper LOL (not the Stamper that one is too slow for me; the combo is ofc dumb because Burst Bomb secures kills like nothing else it feels, but the poking Torpedo is much more up my alley + it's more fast-paced). This weapon is just so satisfying to get kills with, its range is spot-on, kill time isn't horrendous either, even though I have missed some and dearly wished I had half of the Stamper's kit.
  • Tri-Stringer is AWESOME. I think I'll main Splatana Wiper for now, but I went in an Anarchy Series and had gone 4-3, which was good enough for me. The charged bolts are so good for zoning, it has a very satisfying and not very hard to hit OHKO (to me), and just feels like a good main weapon tbh. The kit is like, okay; if it weren't for Toxic Mist being ass, I'd give it a 9/10.
  • Speaking of Anarchy Battles, I think they went in the right direction with this. It took me a while to understand how it worked, but after playing a bit, I can definitely feel an improvement in the Ranked system.
  • Nerf Dualie Squelchers!!! Fuck Wave Breaker!!!!

Been a while but here’s my post-update thoughts on the weapons and some meta thoughts:

New Weapons:
  • Nova seems like a pretty nice support weapon with good paint and range, a 5 shot kill is kind of annoying but the weapon isn’t really made for killing. It’s really great at being annoying with sensor and wail helps it get kills as a little chip makes it a four shot, overall pretty decent.
  • I honestly have no idea what to make of snipewriter, the kit is bad but the main weapon seems pretty good, there’s prob gonna be a fair few one-tricks that can show off the weapon well.
  • Big swig is bad, the kit is very bad and the main weapon isn’t amazing, it’s ok for zones since it can output a ton of burst paint quickly to flip zone but it struggles to kill and the kit doesn’t do it any favors.
New Kits:
  • Custom JR is good, it can spam torpedoes and wave breaker to be a general annoyance, wave breaker also helps it to fight and as a result it’s surprisingly alright at fighting.
  • Carbon Deco is the kit every carbon main has wanted, burst bombs are great and zooka helps carbon do something if it’s locked out, unfortunately the maps don’t really do it any favors with the lack of flanks but this weapon could definitely be very good in the future if the maps improve.
  • Dapples Nouveau are pretty decent in a vacuum, but it’s outclassed by tetra even though it has the better bomb, really unfortunate that the kit is so similar to tetra.
  • Haven’t really seen much Slosher Deco to form an opinion on it but it seems interesting if angle shooter gets better, unfortunately it’s stuck with one of the worst subs in the game for now.
  • Inkbrush Nouveau seems alright, stamp isn’t really the greatest special but mines are nice, this is probably outclassed by the normal brush most of the time.
  • Ttek is pretty good, tristrike is nice for it and it’s just an all around decent weapon, leans more supportive which isn’t a bad thing just something to note.
  • I haven’t really seen much Zink Mini but it seems alright, mist isn’t the greatest but bubbler is pretty decent and it’s still a mini.
  • Luna Neo seems alright, it’s still a Luna blaster and stamp doesn’t really help it too much but fizzy is really nice for it to be able to do something when it’s locked out.
  • Forge Pro has a pretty good kit with suction and booyah, unfortunately it’s still a splattershot pro meaning it’s pretty eh.
  • Gold Aerospray is built to spam booyah bomb which is a good special but it’s still an aerospray so unless you really want booyah spam it’s not really that good.
Balance Changes/General Meta:
  • The most significant balance change was wiper’s uncharged slash being able to paint a swimmable trail which was huge for its mobility and paint output.
  • Missiles got nerfed a bit, being unable to charge while the missiles are in the air is nice and reduces the spam factor.
  • Reef Slider and Ink Vac got pretty significant damage buffs which helps for dealing with shields/other hp specials
Other than that not really any significant changes, personally I was surprised that splash didn’t receive any changes at all, it had been dominating the turf war meta and had been a rising force in the competitive scene. Now we have seen the rise of splash to the forefront of the meta, crab can control massive amounts of space for a long time thanks to its HP, long range, pretty long duration, and quick kill time. The swords have been seeing more success, particularly stamper, as they do pretty well into crab with their high object damage. Aside from splash I find the meta pretty enjoyable but crab definitely needs some kind of nerf, whether that be a duration nerf, an HP nerf, a range nerf, or some combination of those.

Might as well talk about the maps that were added, flounder is great as expected, some stuff got ruined such as the more limited access to the right flank but there were some good changes too like the addition of a rail in some modes, reduced height, and squid surge making it easier to climb the walls. Easily the best map in the game.

Brinewater isn’t as bad as I thought it would be, it actually has a flank surprisingly, and it’s pretty fast to get to, the flank is especially good in clams since there’s a rail, in rm and tc it’s kinda bad tho since the spawn area is super easy to lockout but it’s pretty decent in zones and clams.

Overall the new content in the update was pretty solid, unfortunately only a few of the new weapons/kits are good but I find most of them pretty fun. Flounder is great and brinewater isn’t bad, plus the meta is pretty enjoyable (minus crab:fukyu:), overall I quite liked this update.

nya

<3
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor
PS Admin
Midseason patch notes are out, gamers. Personally I'm pretty pleased with them and NOT just because they buffed Nautilus.

Very pleased with most of the individual weapon buffs. I like Nova a lot as a support weapon and I'm glad to see it get more painting utility. Dynamo's a weapon I kinda want to learn as well and between its damage fall off and Tacticooler buff, might try to pick it up soon. Not really sure why they nerfed Sloshing Machine and not Splash but was still needed I think. Also NAUTILUS BUFF :3

Glad to see Tacticooler and Reefslider get buffs as well since I think they're easily the weakest specials at the moment. Very curious about how significant the invincibility frames on Reefslider in particular. Angle Shooter buffs are also not surprising, I feel like this thing is gonna keep getting buffed in every patch because of how little utility it has right now, but I think the paint buff will help it stand out a lot more than it does currently.

I do not really like how they pretty much just universally buffed shooter points to special. (Also not touching splash when that weapon's biggest problem in the meta right now is how good its special is???) Kinda scared the meta will get overcentralized around shooters, and I'm not a fan of that when the game has so many other weapon types (most of which I think are way more interesting).

The Ninja Squid changes also seem kinda questionable to me. I have absolutely no idea what the patch notes mean by "Using the gear ability Swim Speed Up at the same time will no longer result in one of these abilities being cancelled. While using Ninja Squid, swim speed will continue to be reduced by a fixed amount." especially since I've seen some sources calling it a buff and some a nerf, but considering how little counterplay to chargers there is right now (at least at my level), really hoping its not a nerf, especially since the effect now causing ripples for the first .5 seconds is already gonna hurt it as a charger counterplay tool.

Biggest question mark for me right now is definitely Splash. Crab nerfs are good (though definitely not as much as I'd like) + I think needing to run special power up for it to have the same effectiveness is a fair trade off. Would have liked to see them touch the main weapon at all though, since I don't think the crab duration nerf will be enough by itself to stop Splash dominating the meta.

• Flounder is definitely my favourite map in the game right now. Actual alternate routes make the core gameplay loop exponentially more fun to me and I really, really, really hope this is what they base the future maps off of. Started playing Inkbrush as a secondary whenever this map is in rotation and some of the most fun I've had playing the game for sure
  • Brinewater isn't as bad as I expected honestly? It's pretty well designed w/ a decent amount of options until you need to push out of mid, and then the map loses me. Still haven't caught a Brinewater clams rotation yet though, and I hear that's its best mode
  • Nova is my favourite of the 3 new weapons by far. Very fun as a support tool especially in ninja squid meta, and I'm very pleased with the buffs its getting.
  • Big Swig I can't stand playing unless its zones. I had a ton of fun w/ it playing Hagglefish Zones and I think it definitely has a really good use case for contesting the objective in zones, but it feels so useless in every other scenario to me w/ no kit synergy at all. I know it got buffs this patch but still hoping it gets some more.
  • Snipewriter is very much just not a me weapon. I'm already bad w/ chargers and I'm especially bad w/ multihit chargers but removing movement options is such a dealbreaker for me. I think this'll be really fun if I ever learn how to play chargers but for now I probably won't touch this.
  • Of the new kits C Jr. is absolutely my favourite. Super unique playstyle as a support weapon and Wave Breaker might be my favourite special so I'm glad there's a spammable option.
  • I like brushes a lot so I was really hoping for a good Nouveau kit, but don't really vibe with its playstyle. I'm not a stamp fan is really what it comes down to and I also don't really know if that's a great sharking special, since that seems to be what the kit wants to be.
  • Gold Aerospray is annoying af to fight but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't really fun as a meme weapon. Still not very good because it's an aerospray but I had a ton of fun w/ this during the splatfest.
  • Dapples Nouveau I've seen a lot of negativity for but these are personally one of my favourite kits from the new season. These get compared to tetras a lot but I'm terrible w/ tetras so its nice to be able to have access to that playstyle on a weapon I vibe w/ a lot more
  • Carbon Deco and Forge Pro are also a lot of fun and are probably gonna be my go to kits for those weapons even if they get a third kit eventually.

As a patch, I'm pretty disappointed in 2.1.0 and not just because they nerfed my favorite weapon. Definitely sucks to see the weapon I put all my time into get nerfed again, especially right during my push for 2800XP, but it was definitely needed. Machine was boarder line oppressive, especially on Tower Control, and was clearly just too good for the current game state. However, my biggest gripe with this patch is the fact that Splash didn't get nerfed at all. Crab only got a slight duration decrease that can easily be mitigated with Special Power Up anyways, so it's basically not a nerf at all. Splash has so much gear independency that it could easily slot in up to a pure of Special Power Up without losing out on anything with Ninja Squid and Stealth Jump/Object Shredder. Top level gameplay was literally dominated by TRIPLE Splash + Machine comps and the devs really went, "yeah that Machine weapon is the thing causing all the problems." It just doesn't make sense to me...

The Ninja Squid nerf? buff? rework is very interesting to me. It seems clear that it was needed given that at top level play, it was optimal to run Ninja on anything that wasn't a backliner. This rework is a nerf for higher level play, as the user will no longer just disappear in close range 1v1s, so tracking it will be much easier. However, at lower levels of play, it seems to be a buff as it can now move faster than before, making it more disruptive for people with worse tracking. Only time will tell if this was a good or bad thing. I do like the idea of it though.

The buffs to other shooters to put them on par with Splash instead of nerfing Splash just doesn't sit right to me. Over half the shooters in the game now sit with their special points under 200p, and we saw how well shooters were at spamming specials in Splatoon 2. There's been a lot of talk on competitive Splatoon Twitter about "Shooter Privilege" and while it sounds stupid, it's definitely prevalent here. Every time a non shooter weapon is strong, the devs nerf it hard compared to shooters. This has been the case over the last 2 games. I wish they chose to buff something other than shooters as a way to deal with Crab/Splash being as oppressive as it is. For a game as unique as Splatoon is, it really feels like the devs don't want anything other than shooters to be used competitively. Maybe the buffs to shooter special costs + Tri Strike will be enough to hold crab in check, but the idea of shooters holding the other oppressive shooters in check is just so lame.

A lot of the actual main weapon buffs in this patch were really good and sorely needed. I do like the trend of them going back and giving buffs to weapons that MPU gave in 2 or reverting old nerfs. Hopefully they continue this to return some weapons to their former glory. Competitively, I don't really see the meta comp of 2/3 Splashes + 1 really changing too much. We might see more 2 Splash + Ttek + Backliner comps now with crab being slightly less oppressive in theory, but only time will tell. Machine will still be solid, but will probably fall out of the competitive meta as it stands right now.

Last edited:
Bit disappointed by the lack of splash nerfs but patch was alright overall. One thing I’m pretty confused by is why they nerfed wiper special points:blobglare:, like I know it’s good but to nerf wiper points and not splash?? Other stuff that hasn’t been said already, cjr special points nerf was def deserved the thing output way too many wavebreakers, tristrike buff is pretty interesting, special will def see more play now and ig it also is better at beating crab now as well as other objects. The way I’ve seen the ninja squid change interpreted according to the JP patch notes(because the translation sucks) that the ninja squid swim speed up debuff won’t be a thing anymore (for those that don’t know swim speed up is less effective when used with ninja squid I think) so it’ll require less swim speed to counteract ninja apparently. Of course it could all be wrong but if it is true it’s a decent buff for ninja even though I’m not sure if it really needed it lol. Don’t think the meta will change a ton, splash will now prob run SPU and naut will prob see more play. Dynamo might see some play depending on how big the buff is and reef slider weapons prob get better.

C0nfiden1 0yster

ヽ(o`皿′o)ノ
is a Pre-Contributor
RUPL Champion
Hello, deciding to step out of the ru forums to talk abt one of my fav games. Also want to speculate and comment on new fresh season poster and KRAKEN!!!

"What are your thoughts on the current state of the game?"
Well I love the game, movement just feels amazing in this game compared to others. As for the meta rn, its ok. Splash is obviously too good and hopefully Nintendo will directly nerf it this time.
"Favorite weapon? Least favorite weapon?"
Well since I've been playing since splat1 testfire, obviously my taste on weapons has changed over time, but for splat3 my fav class has been sloshers. Machine and reg slosh are my favs as I like the sub/main weapon combos on each and like that kind of mid-line range. I really dislike the dualie squelchers, just v annoying to fight since it can still hit you two dodge rolls away, in combination with splat bomb and wave breaker just make it a nightmare. Im no good at chargers or splatanas
"Are you enjoying the new customization options?"
never really cared tbh
"Have you tried Tableturf War yet?"
Yea its p fun, no online play is really really bad though, seeing how its not impossible to get the rarer cards, it seems like it would be really accessible if/when they were to add it.

1676596796132.png

Fresh Season poster! Sorry for poor quality of image lol
So obviously Kraken is the most hype thing ever. Seems to be reworked as seen from the one 20 second video we have of it. Firstly it is very large and secondly, it is pretty slow. Definitely won't be the hyper aggro special it was in Splat1. The jump attack is now a 2 shot instead of a one shot and it now has a squid surge kind of attack that ignores knockback and is a oneshot, though, like the squid surge you do have to charge it up a bit. Although still up to speculation, it seems to be invincible just like the original. Obviously these changes drastically change how you would play it as now it is much easier for the opponent to run away, and the increased size will make it easier to knock it back. One thing I really like it how it can't really be used as a 180 panic button since the one shot requires a charge, though it still gives you survivability with the invincibility. Honestly Im a bit confused how how player are going to use it, I guess since we don't know the specifics its going to be difficult to really tell. Overall, Kraken is just going to be super fun and I can't wait to use it.

So the second thing that pops out are those blue balloon things. I think it is a special and not a sub since somewhere Nintendo says "The Fresh Season is going to have new specials and weapons" or smth like that. I think 3 could really use another sub-weapon so a bit disappointed, but still seems unique. Since Wave 1 of the DLC is Splat1 themed and comes out Feb 28, people think its a bomb launcher rework, that way all the splat1 specials are in the game (though a lot have drastic reworks). Personally, I don't really see that, I think it is actually a bubble blower rework, but even saying that is a stretch. I assume we will get information about this thing in the coming days so I won't speculate much further.

Now ic we have 11 new kits (and 0 new weapons) and we know the kits of the .96 Gal and Roller. Since image quality is poor I'll quickly list thenew weapons/kits
- .96 Gal Deco
- Krak-on Roller
- L-3 Nozzlenose D
- Tri-Slosher Nouveau
- Clash Blaster Neo
- Custom Jet Squelcher
- Firefin Splatcharger
- Rapid Blaster Deco
- N-Zap 89
- Neo Splash-o-matic
- Neo Sploosh-o-matic

Having 6 of the 11 weapons be shooters is quite dreadful. No new brella kits, no new brushes, splatlings and no new kits on the new weapon classes. That is honestly quite abysmal, super disappointed.

.96 Gal Deco / Splash Wall / Kraken
The splat1 kit has returned. A gal with a wall to improve survivability and an invincible kraken to also improve survivability, where have we seen this before... jk idt this is going to be particularly special. It s a good kit, had a spell where it terrorized splat1. I think everyone knew 96 was going to get a wall, but obviously we didn't know kraken was going to return. I really like wall as a sub in general and im excited its on a midline that doesn't make me break the ZR button. Should be a cool kit

Krak-on Roller / Beacons / Kraken
Another Splat1 kit returning. Despite playing for 8 years, I've never really enjoyed rollers, but from what i sense, roller players are excited. Im a bit worried though I don't think the reworked Kraken does this any favors. No bomb and the Kraken might have a hard time getting in leads me to believe this kit is gonna be bad but I have no clue abt rollers.

All the following weapons do not have confirmed kits yet

L-3 Nozzlenose D / Torpedo or Burst??? / Kraken???
There is a tableturf card of the L3D and it appears to be holding something, very difficult to make out but seems like a Torp. If so, that could be interesting. Now, its splat1 kit was Burst Bomb / Kraken, and if they wish to continue bringing back splat1 kits, this could do that. Seems like a very versatile kit, kinda like splash but without the crab. L-3 isn't my favorite weapon so I won't be using it much but it looks like the best of the nozzlenose options.

Tri-Slosher Nouveau / Autobomb??? / ???
Someone said that the sub gauge/bar/thingy in the kraken video showed the tri-slosh had an autobomb since it was 55%. I had a hard time finding that but ill assume they are correct. Im really happy tri-slosh gets another kit. The current one doesn't help it too much, has its uses but inkjet defo holds it back. A bit disappointed sub will likely be auto, really wanted burst bomb since I didn't really like sloshers in splat2 but that combo is really good. Autobomb is alr, can force backlines to scramble and can locate so not totally useless, defo an upgrade on mist. As for special, I think they could go a few different ways. Smth with range like zooka or crab would help it be more versatile, but with the autobomb, idk if it needs those. I could see a full agro with a Reefslider or even a Kraken, but could also see a more supportive kit with Tactcooler. Nouveau had rain in s2 so maybe that again, but that would be kinda lame. Would prob give it a niche tho since no frontline outside of Naut has rain (is naut even a frontline idek) and rain I find very good rn.

Clash Blaster Neo / ??? / ???
No clue what this could be, nor have much to say. I think its kit already is amazing and its proven it can't be very good with that. Idk wut an alt kit could do with this that wouldn't be annoying. it had missiles before. feeling we might see that again which would be depressing

Custom Jet Squelcher / Burst Bomb??? / Kraken???
Its had this kit b4 from s1. I think we are guaranteed burst bomb since it had it in previous games. Jet is a p fun weapon and I like this kit as opposed to the special spammy passive kits of s2. Seems really healthy, but is another step in quad shooter meta, which I think would be disastrous.

Firefin Splat Charger / Splash Wall / ???
Yea its getting wall, not confirmed but its kinda obvious. it also had suction bomb launcher, and this is where that blue balloon thing comes in since that might be the rework. idk much about chargers, curious to see if it can really compete with liter

Rapid Blaster Deco / ??? / ???
in 2 it had suction and jet, though idt it will bring that over. Really really really hoping for torp, loved using kensa rapid in s2. They might do wall with this, though that is usually reserved for rapid pro, nonetheless would still be cool. If no torp, I really hope we get something completely new. Splat bomb + kraken or zooka would be really nice.

N-Zap 89 / ??? / ???
plz no missiles. I loved n-zap 85 in splat 1 for w/e reason so a throwback to that kit could be cool. Will probably be supportive tho so Im going to guess smth v left field and busted, fuzzy bomb + Big bubbler. This allows it to both play aggressive for itself, using fizzy as a psuedo curling, as well as using selfish bubble, or it can play more supportive chucking fizzy at chokepoints and farming bubble for team.

Neo Splash-O-Matic / ??? / Zipcaster???
In one of the first trailers of s3, we saw splash use zip and I think it will finally get it. its a good candidate since it has very accurate shots (less rng) and has a decent kill time. As for a sub on this kit it might get mist or curling since it had that in previous games, outside of its burst bomb. Zipcaster is one of my fav specials design wise and is very fun to use, although im not v good at using it.

Neo Sploosh-O-Matic / ??? / ??/
Its current kit is quite shit, so hoping we get splat bomb back. It has had point sensor and kraken in the past and that would also be not very good. A mix of its former kits seems likely.

And lastly, to comment on the stages, Manta is back. Decent stage, bit worried abt crab on this tho, dominates the crampt mid. There is also a new egyptian stage, seems neat. Wonder what the obligatory sphyx is gonna look like. Just don't be another brinewater, no clue how ppl think that stage is ok LOL. Think that's all hope u enjoyed reading.

Last edited:
8 month late reply!
What are your thoughts on the current state of the game?
errrrrrrr
can't really say but to be frank Splatoon is a game that always feels fun
like I get mad when I see a Sloshing machine because HOW
how do you deal with them
and how do you even use them grah
but that's just a thing all video games do
I'd do something similar for
idk
Battlefield 1969 (game not yet released)

Favorite weapon? Least favorite weapon?
Painbrush is by far the most fun I have had with any Splatoon weapon
ever
It has the dynamo feel, where kills are earned, but it's actually possible to get those kills
and you play aggressive with a slower weapon
never have 2 for 1 trades felt so satisfying
anyways least favorite is Sloshing
never really liked it and they just seem to one-shot
I can't even be toxic and work the damn things so 0/10 weapon (angry review here)
Are you enjoying the new customization options?
The what

Have you tried Tabletop Turf War yet? What are your thoughts?
Yes I have
Not really a fan
But I can 100% see the appeal in it

Bonus question: What's Salmon run like?
This game mode is good. Really. REALLY. Good.
From a perspective that sent me from Splatoon 1 to 3 (missing 2), Salmon Run is an experience that takes what you know about the game
and distorts it to new application
Weapons that were once worthless are suddenly top-tier, the reward system encourages people to not spend too long on the mode (1 or 2 hours), which is great (so if you hate it, boom, the rewards aren't locked behind hours upon hours of grinding)
Each Salmonid Boss provides a unique challenge that you have to take on (although Maws is def powercrept by Flyfish, that doesn't mean this thing hasn't gobbled me up more times than I'd like to admit)
And the king Salmonids are unique.
Horrorboros asks that you destroy Booyah Bombs, and can be easy but without a good team the situation can easily crumble
and Coho is a big sponge to wail on, which can be fun as well
Really my main complaint is simply just
staleing
sometimes playing the game-mode can become fairly stale after a fair amount of time
but hey everything gets stale eventually
that's just how it is

Sulo

shifting stars
National Dex Leader
hey gamers I want to talk about splatoon :3 is this thread still a thing?

I play low level (Div 5ish) competitively with a team, I'm not sure if I am welcome to talk about my thoughts on the balance and stuff
Sorry for the super late reply, still in Africa and stuff, but as the OP I can say discussion is heavily encouraged regardless of skill level, so go ahead!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)