Tournaments SPL XIII GSC Discussion Thread

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader

Hello GSC enthusiasts! With SPL XIII underway, this thread will be used to discuss GSC related topics, whether it's about the players, general metagame trends, matches, predictions and so on. This thread will be updated frequently with each new week, player standings, and replays.

SPL Commencement Thread
SPL XIII Spread Sheet
SPL XIII Administrative decisions

GSC Starters (in bold)
Possible Players (not bolded)

Alpha Ruiners
:entei:- Kenix / M Dragon

Circus Maximus Tigers
:raikou:- Zokuru / Teclis

Cryonicles
:Suicune:- Conflict / Raichy

Congregation of the Classiest
:Gardevoir:- Garay oak / ziloXX

Dragonspiral Tyrants
:tyrantrum:- TC / ABR / Rubyblood

Ever Grande Bigs
:Snorlax:- lax / Vileman

Indie Scooters
:Alakazam:- Fear

Stark Sharks
:Garchomp:- choolio

Team Raiders
:Marowak-alola:- Jimmy Turtwig / Aliss

Wi-Fi Wolfpack
:Lycanroc:- soulgazer / Star / eden​

Usage Stats (cumulative; updated as of end of Week 6)
Code:
+ ---- + ------------------ + ---- + ------- + ------- +
| Rank | Pokemon            | Use  | Usage % |  Win %  |
| 1    | Snorlax            |   60 | 100.00% |  50.00% |
| 2    | Zapdos             |   49 |  81.67% |  48.98% |
| 3    | Cloyster           |   43 |  71.67% |  51.16% |
| 4    | Gengar             |   25 |  41.67% |  56.00% |
| 5    | Tyranitar          |   19 |  31.67% |  52.63% |
| 5    | Golem              |   19 |  31.67% |  36.84% |
| 7    | Steelix            |   17 |  28.33% |  64.71% |
| 8    | Raikou             |   13 |  21.67% |  38.46% |
| 9    | Starmie            |   12 |  20.00% |  50.00% |
| 9    | Exeggutor          |   12 |  20.00% |  41.67% |
| 11   | Forretress         |   11 |  18.33% |  45.45% |
| 12   | Nidoking           |    9 |  15.00% |  55.56% |
| 12   | Jynx               |    9 |  15.00% |  44.44% |
| 14   | Skarmory           |    8 |  13.33% |  25.00% |
| 15   | Jolteon            |    6 |  10.00% |  33.33% |
| 15   | Umbreon            |    6 |  10.00% |  33.33% |
| 17   | Espeon             |    5 |   8.33% |  80.00% |
| 18   | Smeargle           |    4 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 18   | Vaporeon           |    4 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 18   | Marowak            |    4 |   6.67% |  50.00% |
| 21   | Quagsire           |    3 |   5.00% | 100.00% |
| 21   | Rhydon             |    3 |   5.00% |  66.67% |
| 23   | Miltank            |    2 |   3.33% | 100.00% |
| 23   | Heracross          |    2 |   3.33% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Tentacruel         |    2 |   3.33% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Machamp            |    2 |   3.33% |  50.00% |
| 23   | Blissey            |    2 |   3.33% |   0.00% |
| 28   | Misdreavus         |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 28   | Venusaur           |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 28   | Charizard          |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 28   | Moltres            |    1 |   1.67% | 100.00% |
| 28   | Alakazam           |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |
| 28   | Suicune            |    1 |   1.67% |   0.00% |

Last edited:

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
lots of proving to be done in this pool.

been hearing lots of rustling about this Kenix fella. Looking forward to his games to see what the hype is about. Doubt dragon/dice will be GSC'ing here with the type of draft they pulled. dice more likely to gsc if it comes to it but this will probably only happen if Kenix tanks HARD as balls. And if the princess does gsc, well...Sandstorm Nidoking....??? nice lose.

Will FOAT reclaim the throne this year??

Last season was a bit humbling, but will it be enough to keep this GSC beast's ego in line this time around? We shall see.

The return of choolman a pleasant surprise I might add. Can't wait to see the team picks!

lax is an excellent pilot if given the right squad but I don't see any big team builders on the roster so expecting outside support there. should be able to shake some shit up in the pool if he plays to his strength in the builder

Not too excited about Cryos after Conflicts little activity-related post so nothing exciting there.

Tyrants however. Shit. Lots of potential for some fun stuff. Definitely this season's GSC wildcard pick if the involved parties mesh well.

Will be keeping an eye on them surely

ZzZzzZokuru. Who's gonna exploit this man this season? Somebody has to do it. Somebody? Anybody?!

The Star/Eden camp tho. Very intrigued to see what will be cooked up here with BKC/Tony support.

Looking to be an interesting season ahead.

Daring someone to bring back Big D*ck Drumzard this year.

Thoughts on week 1 games:

[BIG] lax vs Jirachee [SHA] :gs/Espeon:

I thought this battle was pretty messy. lax looked pretty solid but had the rough end of the RNG. Curse EQ Lax getting in on Nido Ice Beam was a solid entry point so props to Jirachee for that. The EQ crit on Ttar really hurt lax's chances--can't help but feel that RT D-E Lax gave him the advantage in the matchup considering his opp's Zapdos checks were non-Talk Lax and Steelix. Both players played fairly risky teams, especially Jirachee in my opinion.

[TIG] Zokuru vs Kenix [RUI] :gs/Quagsire:

Kenix showed that winning the recent invitational tour was no fluke. He spread paralysis to two key mons very early on and then pulled off a huge double switch into pursuit trap on turns 20-21. Turn 27 was a greedy play that Zokuru successfully punished. Turn 33 Zokuru quite possibly used Rest but it doesn't really matter, solid play there and worthwhile risk to Drum. Kenix successfully anticipates the Cloyster Explosion the following turn which basically seals the game barring some miracle critical hits / etc.

[TYR] TC vs Jimmy Turtwig [RAI] :gs/Snorlax:

Jimmy looked very good early thanks to his Golem play, but his Lax being Self-Destruct and Raikou being Crunch (lol) put him in a tricky spot against a tenacious double RT Lax and Zapdos. Turn 68 was a bit odd, surely you use DBond at least once there before hitting the PSong button? If he didn't have DBond or Explosion I would say it is not a good set.

[CRY] Raichy vs soulgazer [WOL] :gs/Steelix:

This was a fairly typical offense vs stall matchup. Raichy and soulgazer seemingly mutually accepted a trade of Starmie for Cloyster without Spikes up. Following this, an argument could be made that trying to trade Skarmory for Steelix and win with Curse Tyranitar is a viable option, but Raichy instead tried to put it into Raikou's KO range by sacrificing his Surf Snorlax, which was another possible route. Raichy did well to recover his Forretress to a safe HP level with Protect, but then he later greeded into taking Thunder with Forretress which was capitalised on by Steelix. soulgazer identified flaws in Raichy's gameplay with Skarmory and executed his endgame plan well, so props to him.

[SCO] Fear vs Garay oak [CLA] :gs/Exeggutor:

This game we had a favourable Exeggutor into Snorlax lead which led to Spikes advantage for Garay. Fear had the opportunity to capitalise on the Cloyster v Gengar matchup by using Thief on the incoming (Raikou/Snorlax/Steelix) but chose to withhold it, which may be regarded as greedy in an offense vs offense matchup in which the opponent already has Spikes. Garay's turn 7 play is a bit unusual but it turned out well for him, especially because it happened that Fear's team is pretty Exeggutor weak other than Jynx, which I guess Fear didn't want to reveal at this point. By turn 15 and 16, Fear is totally screwed barring a miracle Jynx comeback, which is not likely against Snorlax + Raikou. Fear gained some ground back by using Protect on Self-Destruct on turn 18. This was arguably an error from Garay oak; Fear is pretty well known for using Protect Whirlwind Zapdos and it seemed unnecessary to use it as Lax was pretty healthy anyway. Fear's only realistic out at this point was a freeze but he didn't get it. Crunch Raikou was actually handy this game.

Week 2 Predictions
[CLA] Garay Oak vs Zokuru [TIG] - Garay Oak is certainly a solid and dangerous player, but Zokuru has a lot more experience and can hopefully outprep.
[WOL] soulgazer vs lax [BIG] - Both players looked pretty solid in week 1 but soulgazer imo looked slightly better.
[RAI] Jimmy Turtwig vs Conflict [CRY] - Jimmy looked very questionable last week and Conflict has excellent decision-making abilities. If Jimmy doesn't try to innovate too hard (or if he makes more successful innovation choices) then it will probably be reasonably close, though.
[RUI] Kenix vs TC [TYR] - Both of these two have been very successful recently and they clearly know what they are doing. I would say they are at least in the top 3 or 4 in the pool this year, so it could go either way. I might be crazy for predicting against the undefeated GSC Invitational winner here but I'm going with my gut.
[SHA] Jirachee vs Fear [SCO] - Although it feels like Fear is no longer ahead of the metagame (because it has finally caught up to him), I still believe he can beat Jirachee, who I don't see as a proven quantity. Jirachee's week 1 victory looked very shaky to me, but I may be proven wrong.

Pretty excited to see how the games turn out!

gorgie

formerly Floppy, now Rock hard
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen2ou-601789

I don't understand how Raichy loses that game. Literally baffled. The hax argument is silly and here's why.

The EQ crit on CurseTar? Yes, very very unfortunate. But you know what, it should've never gotten to that in the first place. This all started from Raichy playing so quickly and sloppily early game for no reason.

They had ALL the tools to win defensively AND offensively such that they could've played that game at a MUCH slower pace.

Let's actually break down the content of the toolbox they came to work with that game, starting on the offense side of things:

Uncontested spikes, a roaring cursetar, the occasional phasing from skarm, and random chip here and there from a fully rested and healthy SurfLax.

On the defensive end they literally had a check/trade to everything sg could dish AND on top of that room to get cute with their switches.

The Steelix? Raichy switches skarm into that all day and burn its pp out til they force the boom. Raichy even had room to get cheeky (tho very unnecessary) and chip at it when sg roared in something favorable.

Cloy? Easy trade for Star as you saw it play out.

Egg was already a ticking time bomb with toxic that Raichy had the PERFECT switch in fodder for in PROTECT HP FIRE forry!

Gengar is always a free switch into Raikou and a very favorable trade in the event of a boom.

Which leaves Raichys CurseTar/SurfLax vs sg's Zap/EdgeQuake RestalkLax after all the booms and trades if it got to that.

THIS is where Raichy should go for the big CurseTar finish. Tell me the odds aren't super favorable in such a matchup, especially considering sgs lax has to respect the ttar switch on the lax mirror and consider occasionally throwing an EQ.

If Raichy had gotten lucked at THIS point then the team would have a more favorable arguing point regarding hax. But nah dude, mans rly spilled the beans on this one. No two ways around it.

Also gotta call out the early crit para argument against the lax, which was an offensively disingenuous scream for wolf. It was very inconsequential in the grand scheme of things, despite being unfortunate in the moment.

Spikes was an absolute non-issue at that time even with a starmie vs Cloy+Gengar matchup, as sg was being being heavily harassed by Raichys own Spikes and was almost forced to expedite the boom under pressure. An arguable boom at that imo, but with big stage jitters and the spikes pressure etc i get it.

the Lax eventually rested it off anyway!

Idk man. Idk (idk....idk idk....idk. Will this bih click over for me? I mean...will this woman click over for me? Over for me? Over for me? Is it over me? Over for me over for meeee?)

That one rly left me in a wtf state for a bit after.

I'm open to hearing alternate perspectives though!

Last edited:
Week 2 thoughts:
[CLA] Garay Oak vs Zokuru [TIG] :gs/Tyranitar:
Here we had a Zokuru stall team with Raikou and Forretress + Starmie facing off against a Cloyster Tyranitar Steelix Gengar offensive team, designed to target and eliminate Water-types / Skarmory and then KO things with Screech Tyranitar and mono Lax. There were a few key points which were exploited here: Skarmory lacked Toxic which meant Cloyster was able to set Spikes with less fear, Starmie lacked Heal Bell support which made it much harder to remove Spikes and also to stay healthy against the tri-threat of Cloyster / Tyranitar / Steelix, and Skarmory had neither Toxic nor Whirlwind to deal with Screech Tyranitar. There was an odd switch to Gengar into Drill Peck from Garay at one point, and Zokuru did well to exploit Steelix with Hidden Power Water (plus got a bonus critical hit to seal the KO). Zokuru came up with a desperate strategy to get rid of Screech Tyranitar with Curse-boosted Drill Peck from Skarmory, although this left him vulnerable to the last Pokemon Curselax sweep. The match was unnecessarily drawn out by a hopeless attempt to fish for a choke or 1000 turns, and Zokuru did have and play for his decent odds to eliminate Curselax with Rock Slide critical hits or flinches towards the end, but in the end Garay managed to hold out with his wincon.

[WOL] soulgazer vs lax [BIG] :gs/Gengar:
This was yet another stall against offense matchup, through lax's team was on the more offensive end of the stall scale. lax's Cloyster took a lot of damage setting up Spikes and poisoning Snorlax, which I thought was unusual when it turned out he had a Skarmory and a Gengar in the back. It is unclear whether it was Rapid Spin or Explosion. In comparison, soulgazer's Cloyster easily got Spikes up against a Toxic-less Skarmory and was then later able to exert pressure against Snorlax multiple times (and KO it) thanks to its near-full HP. lax had Earthquake Snorlax, an excellent tool against offensive teams like soulgazer's, but it was significantly slowed down by a flinch on turn 26, and it looks like it wasn't Sleep Talk, so it was probably either Curse or Flamethrower/Thunder. lax did manage to wake it up in a healthy state, but soulgazer managed to stop it with his Curse RestTalk Snorlax, containing it until the point where he broke through with Explosion Cloyster and Gengar. A key read made things a lot easier for soulgazer on turn 61, eliminating the other major threat to his team. I wasn't a fan of lax's team choice here, though it did have good potential to win this particular matchup if Snorlax got going, especially if it was Curselax.

[RAI] Jimmy Turtwig vs Conflict [CRY] :gs/Zapdos:
Eggy-Tenta-Steelix offense from Jimmy vs Gengar-Jynx-Golem offense from Conflict. Again, Jimmy had a very favourable opening, stealing Snorlax's Leftovers, getting Spikes up against Snorlax without losing too much health, and poisoning Conflict's Cloyster without getting poisoned himself. Conflict quickly turned things around, though, somehow nailing Steelix with an Earthquake and following it up with a critical hit to turn Steelix into fodder and basically being up an entire Pokemon. He followed this up immediately with an opportunistic Mean Look + Destiny Bond trap into the exact target he was looking for, Jimmy's Snorlax, opening things up for Jynx to wreak havoc. Jimmy was thrown a lifeline by the RNG on turns 14 and 15 and then pulled off an interesting switch to Steelix on turn 23 to attempt to salvage value from it against sleeping Snorlax, though he followed it up with a double to Exeggutor. This resulted in a favourable Exeggutor vs Golem situation, but the advantage was pretty much negated as Conflict negated Sleep Powder with his sleeping Snorlax. I was thinking that using Earthquake or Roar could have produced a more favourable outcome for Jimmy than the double. Jimmy did successfully trade Exeggutor for Snorlax with Explosion, though it seemed as though this was an outcome Conflict may have also accepted, as it possibly meant an endgame his Zapdos could do well in. I felt both players played the endgame a bit strangely. Conflict revealing Whirlwind on turn 28 made it logical for Jimmy to try to go for a Zapdos win, but for some reason Jimmy decided to preserve his Steelix and risk both his Tentacruel and Zapdos significantly. Although he avoided the possible 2HKO from Thunderbolt on the switch, he ended up losing both Speed ties that could have closed out the match in his favour.

[RUI] Kenix vs TC [TYR] :gs/Jynx:
This was the match I looked forward to the most this week, and I was not disappointed. TC started off with good momentum thanks to his Jynx lead into Nidoking, and after some intense double switching, managed to get his Cloyster in on a double switch against unboosted sleeping Snorlax. Kenix was unwilling to let his Forretress take Surf in exchange for his own Spikes (probably wisely since TC had revealed a Golem on turn 3), so he ended up with a Spikes disadvantage for much of the game. TC kept up his momentum by immediately setting up Curse Earthquake Snorlax against Thunderbolt Zapdos, nailing Tyranitar for much of its health, then following up with an immediate Explosion with Cloyster to take out Kenix's Zapdos. However, this set Kenix up for his next play, as the lack of Zapdos gave some degree of additional credibility to his Nidoking using Earthquake against TC's Golem as he switched to Zapdos (presumably expecting to double in against a Spiker or absorb Lovely Kiss). This combined with the unexpectedness of a Special DV-lowered Nidoking caught TC off guard with Counter (though at the cost of most of Nidoking's HP). Without Zapdos, TC's team looked quite vulnerable to Machamp, although both Kenix's Nidoking and Tyranitar were significantly weakened, and Machamp would still need to fend with Jynx and Gengar. Additionally, Kenix's team was looking quite vulnerable to Golem. However, this did not end up coming into play, as TC froze Forretress, defeated Snorlax with Dynamic Punch from Gengar, and went for a decisive immediate Explosion against Machamp with Gengar to fully seal the game. I was impressed with TC's very aggressive and effective offensive play this game, though Kenix also did well to pull off his tech.

[SHA] Jirachee vs Fear [SCO] :gs/Raikou:
Fear decided to take a more defensive approach this week, whereas Jirachee brought an unusual offensive team with many Explosion users. Jirachee managed to poison Starmie early, but Fear's pressure from Thief Skarmory and early Spikes followed with Earthquake RestTalk Snorlax led to Jirachee choosing to use Explosion without keeping Spikes up, meaning he was playing with a Spikes disadvantage. As Jirachee's team lacked longevity almost entirely, he was forced to go for a fight with Fear's Tyranitar after cleverly reducing damage through a series of switches and scouting Fear's set somewhat. This left it unable to perform what I presume was its intended duty of eliminating Skarmory for Steelix, though the series of turns 28 and 29 allowed him to at least pull off Self-Destruct against Fear's Snorlax to give his last Pokemon a chance. At this point, without Spikes, it was hard for Jirachee to break through Fear's remaining defensive core. Rest Jolteon would have been a serious threat to Fear, and I believe Fear was trying to preserve his Tyranitar so that it could beat a potential last Pokemon Rest Jolteon threat, but in the end, despite Jirachee managing to catch Tyranitar with Hidden Power Ice on the switch, Jolteon was shown to lack Rest and Fear sealed the victory by phazing with Spikes up.

Week 3 Predictions
[BIG] lax vs Jimmy Turtwig [RAI] - First up is a battle of players currently 0-2. One will unfortunately go 0-3, which both players presumably want to do their best to avoid. Jimmy has consistently played the early games well but then seems to fall apart in the mid-to-late game. Although lax got caught out against soulgazer, he seems to be playing reasonably well so I went with him.
[TYR] TC vs Garay oak [CLA] - Second, we have a battle of the two 2-0 players. TC has looked stronger to me, though I am sure Garay will put up a good fight and I don't expect it to be easy for TC.
[CRY] Conflict vs Kenix [RUI] - Here we have an "old vs new" matchup. Someone as experienced as Conflict is unlikely to misplay but I could see Kenix's aggression leading to a momentum advantage.
[SCO] Fear vs Zokuru [TIG] - Despite solid fundamental skills and good knowledge of the game, Zokuru has been struggling to find his footing a bit so far. Fear showed that he is capable of putting enough pressure on offensive teams even with stall. It will be interesting to see what each player decides to prepare for the other this week.
[SHA] choolio vs soulgazer [WOL] - Jirachee is out and choolio is in for the Sharks. I think this was a good decision and have decided to go with choolio despite soulgazer being 2-0 so far. choolio is certainly more experienced and will be a real test for soulgazer, who has played players less renowned for their GSC prowess in weeks 1 and 2. I do expect that this will be a competitive match though.

Also, I added cumulative usage stats to the OP. Too tired to read over this post so I might have made errors, please excuse me if so!

Siatam

is a Tutoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
RoA Leader
While I'm sure each player has been selecting teams that they expect to do well versus their opponents, we've yet to see many unique builds. I thought I'd comment on a few of the interesting sets and team building decisions we've seen so far.

Garay Oak brought a great team against Zokuru featuring Gengar-supported Spikes and Screech Tyranitar. This set matched up well against Zokuru's signature slow stall teams and is very difficult to stop without super effective attacks or status. One significant factor in this matchup is that Zokuru did not bring Toxic/Curse/Rest/Sleep Talk Skarmory, which is the more common option on the team and a good check to non-Rest Ttar. It would be interesting to know what Zokuru was targeting with Curse + Drill Peck Skarmory. Without Toxic Skarmory, the team is still susceptible to the more common Rock Slide/Earthquake/Pursuit Tyranitar and Zokuru would have likely experienced the same difficulties, especially since Garay also brought Steelix to pressure Skarmory.

Speaking of Steelix, Garay Oak and soulgazer have both displayed Steelix's advantages in stall matchups. Are we seeing a resurgence of Steelix? Decent usage and win rate might reflect that players are valuing Steelix higher, but this is a trend seems to repeat every year as Steelix routinely falls in the viability rankings. Steelix's success in its niche may be exaggerated by SPL's Bo1 format.

Lax brought an interesting stall team in Week 2. It fills all the standard roles with Skarmory/Raikou/Snorlax/Spiker but uses Gengar and Zapdos as its FireLax check and mixed wall (Nidoking check), respectively. While these selections are not uncommon on stall teams, both on the same team certainly is. In some senses this team could better be described as an offense team with Skarmory. I have seen this team style has been experimented with before to mixed results. A lack of consistent Spikes counterplay and limited offensive potential seem to be the biggest problems holding this team style back. While it didn't pay off this week for Lax, but it will be interesting to see if this is explored more in the future.

Kenix made the bold decision to bring Counter Nidoking with severely reduced special bulk Week 2. The main goal of this set is to be able to OHKO Zapdos after Countering a HP Ice/Water, which Kenix was successfully able to pull off. The simplest way to create this set is to reduce Nidoking's special defense EV's to 0, reaching a special defense stat of 185, ensuring a minimum role Zapdos Hidden Power will result in a Counter OHKO. As a mechanic to retain backwards compatibility with Gen 1 games, this also forces Nidoking to reduce its special attacking stat. Nidoking is valued for its mixed attacking abilities and this decision limits its consistency. I might expect this tech on a Vaporeon team that desperately wants Zapdos gone, but it seems Kenix opted for the more conservative approach and used Machamp + likely Whirlwind Zapdos which both appreciate an absence of opposing Zapdos.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Lax brought an interesting stall team in Week 2. It fills all the standard roles with Skarmory/Raikou/Snorlax/Spiker but uses Gengar and Zapdos as its FireLax check and mixed wall (Nidoking check), respectively. While these selections are not uncommon on stall teams, both on the same team certainly is. In some senses this team could better be described as an offense team with Skarmory. I have seen this team style has been experimented with before to mixed results. A lack of consistent Spikes counterplay and limited offensive potential seem to be the biggest problems holding this team style back. While it didn't pay off this week for Lax, but it will be interesting to see if this is explored more in the future.
Reasonably standard shell. Double Electric gives you a general typing and stat advantage to out-muscle most opposing teams in long stalemate-type games. Your Spikes counterplay is having both Skarm + Zapdos, the only two OU Flying-types, on the same team. It is, essentially, a quintessential goodstuff team.

The Nido stat tweak is a cool novelty, although as far as Machamp is concerned it merely means freeing up the usual Rock Slide moveslot so you can rock both EQ and Hidden Power I guess? Or Fire Blast for Skarm to conserve Cross Chop PP. But I personally don't like targeting singular mons unless it's Snorlax, since you don't know if your opponent is even going to use them. Like Thunder DE Lax catches Cloyster, but Thunder still covers Skarm too and has a decent PAR rate in situations that might be desirable. Counter on Nidoking likewise is not a bad move in general because it can do things like scare Machamp and Snorlax, but dumpstering your SpA to flex on Zapdos unfortunately makes it a nonthreat afterward even if that succeeds. Interestingly, reducing its SpD capabilities in general doesn't hurt its other defensive matchups much because it's already weak to everything else anyway.

Mr e also went undrafted which was a bit surprising as well.
The pool was so pathetic last year I thought I was a shoo-in returning, but I guess that goes to show how little respect I've always gotten from this community even despite being one of SPL's most winningest players.

I am just done with this place. I merely happened to stumble into Policy Review and saw morons were trying to ban more shit and was seeing if there was anything in the RoA forum about it yet since I can't post there anymore. Which is a shame because some of the write-ups in here so far make it sound like interesting things are happening.

Better late than never, week 3:

[BIG] lax vs Jimmy Turtwig [RAI] :gs/Espeon:
lax decided to reuse his week 1 Espeon team that is designed to power through Snorlax with Thief Nidoking and Growth Pass Espeon, while Jimmy brought an anti-offense team with Forretress + Golem and Nightmare Starmie. I felt that in terms of matchup, Jimmy's team had the advantage here. Nightmare Starmie answers are very scarce on lax's team, and Hypnosis Gengar is also an incredibly huge pain to deal with. In terms of how the game played out, Jimmy got entirely free Spikes up on turn 7 after a clever series of switches triggered by Golem bringing out Tyranitar with Roar. Turn 10 is arguably the first weak play from Jimmy, as using Sleep Talk allowed Cloyster to come in almost for free and set up Spikes. However, burning the sleep turn was valuable, so it could be argued that it was worthwhile. The turn 12 Thunder miss was unfortunate, but then the turn 13 Forretress switch I would regard as a misplay. The series of turns from 13-19 resulted in Jimmy revealing Protect Forretress and Gengar as well as Golem taking 43% from a +3 Double-Edge in exchange for getting to use Rapid Spin. In addition, lax recovered his Snorlax back to nearly full health. There were several other options available (e.g. trying to pressure Snorlax more with Zapdos instead of going to Forretress, going back to Gengar after using Rapid Spin, etc). None of these options were zero-risk options, but I feel like they were stronger than the route taken. lax plays turn 20 and 21 excellently to get Spikes back up, though his Cloyster takes a Double-Edge this time. Turn 23 is a slightly risky but worthwhile sleep burn turn from Jimmy. Arguably the reveal of Gengar worked in his favour here. On turn 25, lax's hopes of a Gengar Pursuit trap are pretty much dashed by a well-timed Hypnosis, which puts him in a very tricky position. He needs to force his way through Snorlax with Espeon / Zapdos / Nidoking, but he has very limited options to deal with Snorlax in the process. lax identifies the need to make an immediate assault instead of waiting until Snorlax overruns his team and immediately doubles to Espeon and sets up Growth on turns 26 and 27. Morning Sun was a clever choice to give Espeon a chance at staying in the game on turn 28, which paid off as Snorlax failed to wake up on the 50/50 turn. However, on turn 30, Jimmy makes what I would consider the biggest mistake in this game, which is attacking rather than using Rest. I can only assume that he didn't run calcs or properly consider the situation. Without Snorlax, Espeon + Zapdos is clearly very dangerous to his team; only Starmie can really put up a fight. However, Starmie is partly dependent on PP stalling Thunder, which using Rest would likely have gone a long way towards achieving. Turn 36 also hurts Jimmy; a potential Explosion or Rapid Spin there could have been quite helpful. lax then gets the ~12% chance to hit six consecutive Thunder against Starmie (not entirely necessary to hit six in a row, for example five in a row followed by a miss then another three or four in a row would also suffice) with four Thunder left, and while Jimmy's Zapdos still had a long shot chance at winning, it didn't eventuate and lax took the win.

[TYR] TC vs Garay Oak [CLA] :gs/Gengar:
This was a much anticipated matchup with very interesting teams from both players. Garay was running a stall team with Drumlax, whereas TC had an offensive double Electric team with ML PSong Gengar to pave the way for Growth sweeper Espeon. Garay's team clearly has a greater level of resilience with Heal Bell and Rapid Spin Recover Starmie, but TC's team has the element of surprise at its advantage. Garay's opening sequence looked quite promising with the application of paralysis to both Zapdos and Cloyster, then Drumlax got in a Drum in exchange for Spikes, putting TC in a tricky position. However, he was not willing to risk Snorlax to Cloyster, choosing to use Body Slam rather than Earthquake on TC's switch to Gengar and then deciding he didn't want to exchange his Snorlax for Gengar's Explosion or Destiny Bond, instead sending in Skarmory. I think this course was reasonable, though Earthquake was also a potential option I'm sure he considered which would have almost certainly won him the game immediately if it hit Gengar. As it turned out, TC gained a huge advantage by trapping Blissey the following turn, taking advantage of Garay's likely guess that Gengar had an Electric move. Although he at least got a burn on Gengar, losing Blissey against a double Electric team is never going to be pleasant to deal with. Turn 36 was another proactive play from TC, taking advantage of Garay trying to absorb Lovely Kiss with Zapdos to trade his fairly useless Snorlax for it. With Blissey's Heal Bell gone and Zapdos removed, Cloyster was now a massive threat, which TC expertly took advantage of to close out the game. TC's instincts were on point this game and he took maximum advantage of this. Garay had a solid gameplan though, and he was not too far from successfully executing his strategy.

[CRY] Conflict vs Kenix [RUI] :gs/Jolteon:
This game, Conflict brought a fairly risky offensive team with Smeargle and Growth Jolteon and Explosion users, while Kenix brought a team designed to sweep with Heracross after eliminating its checks with Explosion. Looking at the teams, Conflict's best chance is likely to be winning with Jolteon, though he has limited options for beating Raikou. I am unsure of the Jolteon set though. Kenix starts out well but then blows up his Cloyster on turn 5, fearing Agility Pass. This leaves him with very limited answers to Steelix, resulting in him losing his Snorlax in a trade on turn 13. Conflict also caught Golem with Hidden Power Water or Grass on turn 7. On turns 17 through 23 we see the Raikou vs Jolteon fight that was sure to happen at some stage. Conflict times his entry well on a Rest and gets favourable outcomes for three turns as he sets up. This basically seals the game immediately barring a Thunder paralysis, which doesn't eventuate, so Conflict takes the win. This game displayed the sort of pressure that Smeargle is capable of exerting as a lead with so many unrevealed Pokemon. However, in my opinion, the fact that Snorlax was heavily damaged meant that he could probably have simply switched out of Smeargle to Raikou or Heracross on turn 5. This is as a result of having a faster lead vs Smeargle on turn 1, something that goes a long way in addressing Smeargle lead strategies.

[SCO] Fear vs Zokuru [TIG] :gs/Snorlax:
Fear played an extremely risky Baton Pass team this week that I wasn't much of a fan of, whereas Zokuru had Steelix Vaporeon Gengar offense. Fear got an incredibly convenient burn on Cloyster on turn 2 with a random Flamethrower, then revealed Substitute Rapid Spin Starmie, basically guaranteeing Spikes would not be up on his side for the rest of the game. At this point, I thought Fear pretty much had the game won, but then he revealed Smeargle on turn 8 and traded Spikes for 92% of its HP. Zokuru then switches out fearing Destiny Bond presumably. Fear expects this and uses Agility then puts Gengar to sleep before Baton Passing to Marowak. Gengar immediately wakes up but misses Hypnosis and goes down to faster Earthquake the following turn. The Hypnosis miss was unfortunate, but it seems crazy to me that Zokuru decided to risk the game on waking up with Gengar on a 1/6 or 1/3 chance (depending on what Fear did the following turn if it didn't immediately wake up). I suppose he felt that his options were limited or didn't want to reveal his last Pokemon. However, this wasn't the biggest mistake this game. After KOing Gengar, Zokuru for some reason sent in his burnt Cloyster. This cannot KO Marowak without a critical hit, meaning Marowak can use Swords Dance here and be 93.75% certain of surviving. It then KOes everything revealed except Zapdos 100%, and it KOes Zapdos 90% of the time with Rock Slide. To me, the only factor that could have scared Fear off using Swords Dance is the unrevealed last Pokemon (later revealed to be Steelix, which is KOed by +2 Earthquake easily). Anyway, I regard this as the biggest mistake this game; you just have to go for those. Fear instead switches to Smeargle, presumably trying to absorb Explosion (which deals less than Surf to Marowak from burnt Cloyster) and gets KOed by Surf. Fear played the rest of the game fairly well, trying to pressure Zokuru with Spikes and weaken Cloyster without letting Spikes go up, which he succeeds in doing, losing only Starmie in the process. However, a Snorlax critical hit Double-Edge on Umbreon sealed the game for Zokuru barring critical hits, which did not eventuate. Zokuru navigated the endgame very well with his non-Sleep Talk Snorlax as well.

[SHA] choolio vs soulgazer [WOL] :gs/Smeargle:
choolio went with a risky offensive team with SmeargleWak here, while soulgazer played a fairly solid double Electric Umbreon Cloyster Golem balanced team. choolio's early game decisions were somewhat questionable. Leading Zapdos and then immediately switching to Cloyster against a potential Curse Snorlax leaves you quite vulnerable against potential Golem teams, though the situation could have been even worse with Thunder misses. Turn 4 was a strange play from choolio; it felt unlikely that soulgazer would switch out his +2 85% Snorlax, so the play should have been Explosion or switch out here. Turn 6 was likewise an odd choice. Was he going for a critical hit here? Did he expect Snorlax not to use Rest? He basically lost an opportunity to Curse there for free. I think turn 9 was reasonable from both players. It would be disastrous to leave Snorlax at full health if he used Curse and then was forced to Rest the next turn. As for soulgazer, he rolled quite high and actually managed to get a shot at an outright KO the following turn, though it would have needed to be a max roll. He chose to go for the roll and missed it, then was punished super hard with a massive STalk D-E critical hit on Golem the next turn, which substantially reduced his significant advantage. In fact, I think choolio would have had almost no shot without this, or if soulgazer had switched the previous turn. On turn 25, soulgazer reveals Toxic, which helps choolio to narrow down what set he could be running. Toxic on Golem is potentially helpful, but less so without Spikes up, and given that choolio's unrevealed win condition strategy really enjoys not dealing with Spikes, taking Toxic in exchange for Spin seems reasonable in hindsight. Turn 36 seemed like a decent opportunity to anticipate the BP to Marowak (like.. what else is it going to be?), but missed opportunity there. Turns 46 and 47 worked out excellently for choolio, as he successfully anticipated Thunder from Zapdos and went for an Explosion that was pretty much guaranteed to eliminate a key Pokemon: no Umbreon would mean Snorlax almost certainly wins, no Cloyster makes Marowak extremely dangerous considering Smeargle still has Spore at its disposal, no Snorlax means Zapdos becomes a bigger threat and it becomes harder to punish the opposing Snorlax, and no Zapdos makes Smeargle and Zapdos much more dangerous. In the end, I think the play here was to sacrifice Snorlax, but it would have been tricky to win--I think it would have required Cloyster / Umbreon to poison Zapdos and then Cloyster to boom on Snorlax and Zapdos to sweep. At this stage, since soulgazer never got Rapid Spin off, the situation is very tough since Snorlax has 0 sleep turns burned. It was a pretty hopeless situation and choolio finished the game off in a convincing manner. Arguably, soulgazer's Golem should have used Rapid Spin instead of Roar against the +3 Snorlax earlier and just sacrificed Golem to get Umbreon in, but I'm sure it was difficult to make that call at the time. He could also have sent in Golem the turn earlier, but I think the high roll baited him into going for the KO unfortunately. choolio's weak first few turns were pretty much eclipsed by excellent mid- to late-game play after the critical hit on Golem brought him back into the match, so well done to him on that.

My week 4 predictions were:

[RUI] Kenix vs lax [BIG] - I felt Kenix was playing well. Got this one right.
[RAI] Jimmy Turtwig vs choolio [SHA] - Here I was wrong. Jimmy put on an excellent performance.
[WOL] soulgazer vs Fear [SCO] - Stuck with Fear and was rewarded for it.
[CLA] Garay oak vs Conflict [CRY] - Conflict is on a serious roll this tour and I'm glad I stuck with him.
[TIG] Zokuru vs TC [TYR] - TC is also on a roll. I'm not sure who will be able to take him down. Maybe Conflict?

I don't know if anyone is still interested in these such a long time after the actual games. I'll hopefully get around to doing week 4 tonight or tomorrow. No promises though. Also, I didn't proofread this, so hopefully it all made sense.

Siatam

RoA Leader
Umbreon usage this SPL has been interesting. At 6 uses (7 if you count Fear's tie against Jimmy Turtwig) its usage % is not far off from SPL XII. However, the teams its has been used on are not the standard stall builds you might expect Umbreon on but instead a mix of 1 BP team, 3 middle of the road/balance teams, and 3 offensive teams. What stuck out to me initially is that Umbreon has nearly caught Skarmory in usage, but this is more a symptom of Skarmory's poor performance compared to years past.

After a PR post discussing Mean Look + Baton Pass was made during week 2, Umbreon usage has kicked off. With (probably) 2 Mean Look usages and (probably) 5 non-Mean Look sets, most people are opting to use the threat of Mean Look to dissuade people from taking advantage of Umbreon's passive nature. Outside of Mean Look mind games, Umbreon has some utility on offensive teams as a Snorlax check and Pursuit user that is not as susceptible as Tyranitar to Dynamic Punch Gengar. Umbreon's success so far has been middling, with a 33% win rate but this might not be representative of its in-game impact. I've decided to review Umbreon's impact in each of the 6 games it has been part of to really see how effective this cat/fox/dog has been in SPL.

Week 3: Zokuru vs Fear (L)
On turn 6, After switching into a near max roll +1 Snorlax's Double-Edge, Fear's Umbreon is forced to use Charm (Or PP stall its own Moonlight). Zokuru smartly switches out into Vaporeon, which accomplishes many things. At this point in the game, it is not clear if Fear is running as defensively oriented team, or as it turns out, a Baton Pass team. The Vaporeon switch takes advantage of Umbreon's Charm and if this team was a stall, would force the reveal of Fear's Raikou/Blissey/Zapdos. Since this is a Baton Pass team, Fear cannot afford to let Vaporeon set up and Umbreon is forced out before it can heal.
Umbreon makes it back in on turn 17, but a simultaneous switch to Vaporeon by Zokuru once again forces Umbreon back out. A Double-Edge crit on turn 24 eliminates Umbreon from the game as well as Fear's chances of a win.
While Fear undoubtedly had poor luck in the game, and a poor matchup running into double phazers (probably), Umbreon was decisively gimped after switching into +1 Snorlax and facing off against Growth Vaporeon. While the initial plan of disguising this BP team as a stall with Snorlax/Starmie/Umbreon revealed could have paid off, in this game the Umbreon team could not get off the ground after its initial setback.

Week 3: choolio vs soulgazer (L)
Umbreon found itself in an unenviable position in this game before it even had the chance to hit the field. After a Snorlax crit brought Golem low, Umbreon was soulgazer's sole defense against choolio's MonoLax. On turn 25, after Golem is sacked, Umbreon is able to stabilize the position against Snorlax. Umbreon is able to secure a poison and chip damage against choolio's Golem, but relatively speaking choolio is able to Rapid Spin at little cost.
Umbreon continues to check Snorlax in the game, but only 8 Moonlight PP's places Umbreon's utility on a timer. This reliance on Moonlight also gives choolio's Smeargle uncontested free entry, and after a successful Agility pass to Marowak, spells the beginning of the end for soulgazer. Later on turn 45, the threat of Smeargle and Umbreon's lack of tools to punish it force soulgazer to switch Umbreon out without healing, which later leads to Umbreon being sacrificed on turn 51.
This Umbreon team once again suffered from poor crit luck and a poor matchup into Smeargle. But Umbreon did this team no favors when trying to recover from a bad situation.

Week 5: Jimmy Turtwig vs soulgazer (L)
soulgazer's week 3 team makes a return in week 5. Perhaps learning from week 3's interaction, soulgazer decides to stop Jimmy's Curse Lax quickly with a switch to Umbreon on turn 3. Jimmy is forced to respect the possibility of Mean Look and switches out to his phazer, but soulgazer is unsuccessful in securing Toxic on Golem. On turn 6, fearing Thunder paralysis and wasting Moonlight PP, Umbreon is forced out by Raikou. By turn 10, Jimmy has little to fear switching Sleep Talk Raikou into Umbreon as it is very unlikely to be Mean Look, and in no position to pull off a trap pass.
While the presence of Umbreon encourages Jimmy to play conservatively with Exeggutor, for the most part Umbreon only serves as free entry for Jimmy's Raikou and free pivots out into Snorlax. After being paralyzed by Raikou, Umbreon is no longer a reliable Snorlax check, but is able to eventually trade itself with Exeggutor.
Umbreon did not have a particularly strong showing in this game and frequently gave all the momentum to Jimmy. This might be more of a symptom of the Charm/Toxic/Pursuit/Moonlight moveset, which takes away Umbreon's long term sustain and makes it susceptible to status. Unless the Mean Look ruse can be kept up for a long time, this Umbreon set will be difficult to pilot.

Week 5: Fear vs TC (W)
After Fear reveals Umbreon on turn 7, TC is forced to respect the possibility of Mean Look. TC is in a difficult spot at this turn, as his team actually has no phazer and is forced to bring in his Screech Tyranitar, his only check to Curse Snorlax. Umbreon is able to land Toxic on Tyranitar, placing TC's team on a timer. However, in much like the previous game, once Toxic + Charm has been revealed on Umbreon the threat of Mean Look is no longer respected. Umbreon is later haxxed down by Zapdos as it tries to (I presume) use Rest.
Umbreon performed well in this game. While it did not have much time to shine, it landed key Toxics on Tyranitar and Starmie. Both players had their share of fortune in the match, but Fear was able to secure a well deserved victory. Overall Umbreon fit well on Fear's semi-stall/balance team and I can imagine it would have been quite a nuisance if it had survived longer with its Charm/Toxic/Rest/Sleep Talk set.

Week 6 Fear vs Jimmy Turtwig (uncounted tie) (Draw)
I do not have much insightful to add to this game. Umbreon adopted its typical stall set of Pursuit/Charm/Rest/Sleep Talk and was able to prevent Jimmy's Snorlax and Steelix from making any offensive progress. Though the crit on Fear's Golem was unfortunate, the team has an innate Zapdos vulnerability which Fear was only able to extract himself from with excellent play and some luck. (T54, T121) While everything that happened in this matchup is not a consequence of using Umbreon I don't think you can argue that Umbreon helped Fear's offensive game plan. You can argue though that Fear would never have reached a position to draw without Umbreon. Maybe just call me a hater.

Week 6: Conflict vs TC (W/L for Umbreon)
Here's an interesting one, an Umbreon on both sides pulls its W/L closer to 50% but lets see how each impacted the game. On turn 3 TC's Umbreon forces Conflict into has only answer for Mean Look, a Mean Look + Baton Pass Umbreon of his own. Conflict's Umbreon is promptly Toxic'ed after which both players pivot out, predicting each other's reactions to their Umbreon sets. On turn 9, Conflict's Umbreon is able to check Curse Snorlax, but multiple factors prevent Mean Look as a viable option. Conflict's Umbreon is eventually able to use Mean Look on turn 20, but at that point does little than force TC to trade his Cloyster for Umbreon. After this point, neither Umbreon makes much of an impact on the game and TC's MonoLax eventually wins out against Conflict's weakened team.
This game shows both sides of SPL XIII Umbreon, one that was able to Toxic key members of the opponents team and whose mere presence greatly affected their decision making. Then there is the other side, which got off to a poor start and could never show its full potential.

As you could probably tell by the tone of this post, I haven't been terribly impressed by Umbreon's performance this SPL. I don't believe that Umbreon is an unviable pick, and all the matches so far have been competitive contests. The threat of unrevealed Mean Look forces counter play from opponents, but seems difficult to consistently capitalize on. However, I don't think we have seen the full extent of Mean Look + Baton Pass Umbreon. Lets see some Confuse Ray + Mean Look or Umbreon turn 1 baton passing into Spider Web Smeargle.

Conflict

is the 9th Smogon Classic Winneris a Three-Time Past SPL Championis the defending GSC Circuit Champion
World Defender
Well with my SPL being over I think it is fair to review my games this season. Maybe this is able to entertain a wider part of the playerbase so hopefully more people can learn and enjoy GSC in the future. GSC has underwent a lot of changes in the past couple years even though it has been considered a "dead" metagame by some. What I really intend to show to the wider audience is how GSC is NOT a bore or stall-fest for the most part and has an average pace overall. I would even argue that GSC gametimes are NOT the longest of all main gen OU's and had some of the shortest game in this and last year's SPL. Of course there will be the odd stallgame that goes on forever but that can happen in any given generation if 2 stalls face each other. GSC now more than ever is about smart positioning, getting some key predicts correct and smart innovations. This has led even newer palyers having their fair share of success because those kinda teams dont require as much forward planning as in season's past.

I believe the general playerbase is quite strong right now though mainly because the amount of nonsense-teams has gone down considerably or and even the "bad teams" are atleast competent enough unlike the past (Classic 1-3 playoffs for example had some really bad team choices). The only thing that most newer players lack is a vision for planning ahead (both in the teambuilder and even moreso in-game). Hopefully people are able to gain that skill by playing more and discovering how to navigate end-games better.

The other trend I want to atleast try to combat here is the current "lazy" teambuilding by a lot of current players. What I mean by that is just blindly copying teams without understanding their structure or blindly subscribing to famous builder's philosophies. For example a lot of people just take ABR's, TDK's, Tony's or whoever's teams/words at gospel (they are great but even great players can have misconceptions or have teambuilding misconceptions). Most of those people are part of the same "bubble" and have great public reach therefore influencing public perception in a way where GSC can seem "solved" and the best way to play is already known. I strongly disagree with that and believe there is still room for GSC to grow and prosper. A lot of their teams are quite solid but they are not the be-all end-all (example: running Resttalk-Lax for Jynx in every team is NOT needed); there are different schools of thought and one can deviate from those people's standards. I urge people to experiment, build themselves and come to their own conclusions. I'd much rather play in an active metagame where you have many differing idea's (the schools of ABR, TDK, Fear, Zokuru, Conflict, BKC, Choolio, Lavos, etc.) of the metagame coalescing.

Now onto the games and teams. :) Probably gonna split this in 2 Parts. This will be Part 1, expect Part 2 sometime soon.

vs. soulgazer (Raichy).JPG
Week 1 vs. Soulgazer (played by Raichy)

Now I was away for most of week 1 so this build is mostly Raichy's work. All the different mons came from him and allI did was make him change some sets. The devil is in the details after all. *Snippet of me critiquing his build from the airport*

Raichy tried multiple builds and ended up liking this one the most. It proved very adept at beating standard GSC teams and was well-suited to take on a new comer to SPL GSC. This team has a slight Nidoking-weakness that could have been fixed with a couple different sets at the cost of making this weaker against the vast majority of other teams but Raichy decided to take that risk because he had been spamming very "anti-Nidoking"-Teams (like Resttalk-Lax+Jynx+Zapdos-Teams) so he figured Nidoking would be less likely (tournament risks!). Nontheless the Nidoking-MU is hard but playable.This squad is basically your standard Stall with strong options for Stallwars ([HP]Fire-Forry+Starmie) and multiple strong Lax-answers (Curse-Rest-Ttar+Cursestalk-Skarm+ToxicTect-Forry). Raichy wanted to use Curse-Tyranitar and at first was using Curse+Flamethrower-TTar. I made him change that to Curse-Roar-Rest which fit better on such a defensive team and also gave us the freedom to run Snorlax as a Lure. Knowing that Tony was probably going to help soulgazer in his preparation I found a Snorlax-Set with both Thunder and Surf very enticing to lure and kill some of his preferred Mons (Cloy+Golem). The entire team is made to help Tyranitar facilitate a sweep. Lax lures soft counters like Cloyster and some hard counters like Steelix and Golem to free the way for Tyranitar. Toxic-Tect-Forry spreads Toxic on those same targets and acts as a deterrent for EQ-Lax. Starmie, Raikou and Skarmory form a defensive trio to stave off any threats while securing a Spikes-advantage.
Resttalk-Skarmory with both DP and Curse is super passive and im usually not a big fan but here it acts as a soft-check to Exeggutor while also keeping Last-Mon Snorlax in Check. It very likely wont sweep but it makes a lot of situations unloseable. Drillpeck was preferred over Toxic due to its ability to actually force damage and to not let anything heal up for free on Skarmory. In addition it lowers the threat of Nidoking by DP-Stalk-Skarm acting as a hard-counter to non-FB/Thunder-Nido and soft-checking or atleast discouraging the Switch-In of those sets. Skarmory acting as the Exeggutor-Check in turn lets us use [HP]Water on Raikou without big repercussions, further improving the Ground (especially Golem; Tony+SG preferences!) Match-Up.
The game itself was going very well but went haywire when some crucial luck hit (Crits on Lax+Ttar) and Raichy didnt manage to keep a cool head after those instances of luck and threw away the game from a very advantageous position. I believe the team had an incredible Matchup and was quite happy with our call here. Snorlax with Thunder+Surf is amazing into Cloy+Steelix, Eggy is checked by Skarm+TTar+Forry and should never be able to threaten a Boom-KO. Cloyster at best trades with Starmie which is no huge Loss here because Starmie's defensive qualities are only really needed for Steelix, who is also covered by Skarm+Forry+Lax. Raikou+Lax also check Zapdos+Gengar. Tyranitar only has Steelix as a check and therefore should slowly win this game especially so if the hazard advantage is secured. Lax poses no threat seeing as how its D-Edge+EQ with Resttalk vs. Skarm+Forry with TTar acting as a backup.
Raichy just lacked a bit of that long-term-planning that the newer generation of GSC players doesnt yet seem to possess. Most and especially Raichy play more by ear (Instinct!) and that did our LA friend in in this particular game.

vs. Jimmy Turtwig.JPG
Week 2 vs. Jimmy Turtwig

Well Week 2 proved to be a banger of game that came down to the wire. The game itself was close and could have easily swung the other way if RNG didnt cooperate (speedties...). My team matched up quite well here especially the Jynx but the purple lady didnt even get to kiss that day.

The team itself is very standard and has been seen in other variants quite a bit over the years. This is just my take on it. The idea was that I wanted to be quite secure vs Jynx (have been neglecting it sometimes in the newer past and paid for it) and Exeggutor (something I remembered Jimmy being fond of) while also having a decent Golem-Cloy-Matchup (those teams are ez to pick up and hes returning to GSC, sooo....).
Zapdos is meant to abuse the Spikes via Whirlwind and reliable damage output that the combination of Cloy+Golem+Gengar basically guarantee. Whirlwind also acts as a Cheese- and Lax-deterrent. Thunder Wave on Zapdos was a late addition to help vs some fast threats (Espy/Gengar/Jynx/Jolt) and was changed to from Reflect after Reflect didnt perform well in tests. Snorlax here acts as my safeguard to special threats and in particular vs Jynx. Whereas Snorlax+Zapdos are fitted to deal with Offense both Gengar and Jynx are fine-tuned for more defensive matchups. Gengar uses a Mean Look-Set aimed to bluff a standard GGar with Ice Punch and hopefully being able to surprise trap key targets. It has DBond and PSong so it can always perform its duty reliably even when the opposing Mon packs the corresponding coverage. The main targets here are: Snorlax(for Jynx+Zapdos), TTar(for Jynx) and Raikou (for Zapdos+Jynx). Jynx foregoes Substitute in favour of Nightmare here to further improve my chances vs Stall. With Spikes and Nightmare Stall has no real switchins to this Jynx set long-term and I should be able to dictate momentum.

The game itself played out in an interesting way. The early game set me behind after he got the Thief on Snorlax and managed to Spike up on my Snorlax with his Cloyster. I managed to recover the momentum in Turn 7+8 by playing a bit reckless with my Snorlax and getting huge damage on Steelix. This in turn set up Gengar to force his Snorlax in and trade kill it with MLook+DBond. This boded well for my Jynx and I was poised to win this game. I believe i commited my only error here in Turn 15 by staying in with Jynx and risking it vs. Zapdos. It was way too early to do that and at this point in the game I should have deducted that he needed damage on Jynx (he was particularly weak against it with Lax gone) so he'd Thunder and that his Zapdos very likely had HP[Ice] considering he ran both Eggy+Cloy+EQ-Lax. This meant that a switch to Golem there was basically free and I wouldve been able to freely Spin/Boom on Zapdos ensuring my win. With the Spikes advantage secured or Zapdos blown up my Jynx had a clear winpath (ohkoes everything but Tenta from there which cannot 2hko/Ohko back at +0 without PSN or at +2). Due to some bad RNG I ultimately had to risk the game on some Speedties to have any chance. If only I played this sequence better this could have been all avoided. In the end I wasnt punished tho this time around.

vs Kenix.JPG
Week 3 vs. Kenix

Week 3 is when I went wild. I had scheduled with Kenix for Thursday so I had to get off my lazy ass and start to build early. While brainstorming during the start of the week I somehow arrived at wanting to use Smeargle as a lead remembering Kenix using a lot of Sleeper-Leads or Snorlax during his GSC Invitational Run.

The first 5 Pokemon were assembled quite quickly just the last Slot (Jolt) ended up going through a myriad of iterations. Let's walk you all through this team:
- Smeargle was chosen as the Lead due to it's ability to force action. I wanted to use Spike-Smeargle that beat Sleep-Leads, Snorlax and Hazard-Setters (Cloy/Forry). So starting from there I ran Spore+Spikes to secure me an early advantage. Miracle Berry was the Item choice but i changed it to PRZ Berry after thinking it over once more. Most Sleep Leads (Nidoking/Jynx) would probably anticipate Miracle Berry and therefore either straight up attack or Thief. Now if those Mons Thief my Miracle Berry I would Spore into that and basically lose my entire advantage. If they steal PRZ Berry on the other hand they would gain no real Item and also get slept. PRZ Berry also acts as insurance vs pesky Electrics that can Thunder-para my dear Smeagol. Destiny Bond was chosen for it's ability to force Double-Downs. Often times it was more advantageous to set up Spikes and then DBond into an incoming killing blow instead of Sporing, permanently taking a Mon out of the equation. Super Fang was a late addition and a lot of different options were tried here (Sacred Fire, Mirror Coat, Perish Song, Glare) but in the end Super Fang was the choice because it forced damage on almost anything and made it more likely that the opposing Mon would attack therefore potentially trigger DBond.
- Zapdos acted as the Sleeptalker. It's Standard set is just darn good at keeping most weird threats at bay and it also solidifies the team defensively and opens the road to more offensive sets on the rest of the squad.
- Steelix is here to act as a road block to physical threats (hi Lax!), providing phazing support. It was chosen over Golem due to its higher defensive stats (lives 999 EQ from Lax) and its better typing (not dying to HP[Water] or Eggy right away). Boom is just additional insurance and booming priority targets like Snorlax or Exeggutor is highly valuable.
- Snorlax was meant to be the initial Send-Out after Smeargle perished. With D-Edge, EQ, Thunder and BOOM it is able to threaten almost everything and keeps the offensive pressure high. It is not as needed defensively due to Jolteon taking over some of its duties vs. the Electrics. The team appreciates Lax ability to punch holes here, hopefully opening a win path for my dangerous Electrics. EQ+Thunder are meant to pressure, weaken and potentially even kill annoying Mons like Cloy/Grounds/Gengar. There are a lot of cross-synergy-effects at work here. For example weakening Grounds lets Jolt threaten a kill on them, whereas thundering Cloy opens a path for Steelix.
- Misdreavus runs an unusual set here. I would argue that Gengar here is maybe even the better choice overall due to its higher stats (Speed) and wider movepool (Boom!) but Misdreavus was ultimately chosen mainly due to its ability to spinblock vs Golem teams. Smeargle very likely dies early and that means that my opportunity to reset Spikes are almost none once they are spun away. This meant I needed to secure them. This could either be accomplished by running a lot of otherwise suboptimal choices (HP[Water]-Zap, Surf-Lax, etc.) or by exchanging Gengar for Misdreavus. Misdreavus is still not a good Golem-Switchin but atleast it can block Spin once or twice. Furthermore I am running a very unusual Misdreavus-set meant to keep Golem at bay and acting as a pseudo-check to threats via DBond. HP[Water] lets my Missy pressure and beat Golem 1v1, while also doing respectable damage to Steelix, Tyranitar and Nidoking. Thunder is the move of choice for Starmie (Tbolt works too, but Thunder can force paras on things like Zapdos+Raikou which can be huge). DBond acts as a safety net for all kinds of scary threats. The last slot is quite flexible. In the end I went with PSong after talking it over with Fear to better contain last Mons. Toxic works just as well and might actually be even better here as I have found in further testing since.
- Lastly the "hidden" Star of the show: Jolteon. This slot went through numerous iterations. Aside from Jolteon I tested Jynx, Starmie, Miltank (Curse-EQ-MDrink!), and Espeon. But in the end Jolteon's high speed, letting it act as a pseudo-check to many threats like opposing fast Psychics/random mons like Charizard/Tenta, as well as its advantageous typing into the Electrics made me go with this Eeveelution. I ran Thunder for certain treshholds (2hkoes/ 3hkoes after 1-2 Growth), HP[Water] for Grounds and Rest to act as a late-game wincondition vs. stallier teams.
Overall I consider this one my favourite team of this season because it is so unique and fast paced.

The game itself was very quick. Even though I did not get the desired lead MU and had to switch around, trading Smeargle for Cloyster is a net-positive here and afterwards I am able to exert huge pressure with my offensive Lax thanks to not blowing up prematurely. My Misdreavus-set shows it worth by trashing Kenix Golem, giving me an avenue to abuse forced switches with my own Doubles to Lax. Just knowing that I have Steelix AND Jolteon in the back for the Electrics lets me play Snorlax with reckless abandon. Then we basically just trade pieces until I am able to get Jolteon in on a predicted Rest-Turn by Raikou and start boosting. The game just ends with Jolteon cleaning house.
Quick and decisive.

vs. Garay.JPG
Week 4 vs. Garay Oak

You thought I was crazy Week 3? Well then strap yourself in because we are going the full distance now. This is the definition of a one-off tournament team where someone totally went off the proven track and ventured deep into the weirdness.

This team at first glance looks innocous enough but the hidden dangers are revealed one delves deep into it. Let me take you on a tour into the mind of Crazyflict. Well Garay's team in the first couple weeks all seemed quite weak to a speed-passed Marowak so thats the direction I took. I am however not a fan of those one-dimensional standard BP-Squads because they have 1 shot at winning usually and also rely a lot on match-up and their opponent fucking up (Lavos farmed ppl w BP, but a lot of those players just tilted when they saw BP and didnt use their brain at all anymore; rewatch those games if you want - I did too in prep for this week). ThusI wanted to use something less obvious that could also go the distance if needed.
garay-prep.JPG

^That was basically the whole idea. Feign a more standard team and then surprise him with Agi-Pass to a Ground. This team had multiple versions but usually the first 4 stayed the same. The only slots that I really played around with where Slots 5+6. Jolt was sometimes a Smeargle and Quag a Marowak. Ultimately I settled on this version tho because it had the best flow and it let me include 1 more tech efficiently. Lets have a deeper look:

- Snorlax acts as an Opener here that also fulfills the role of a Lure. It is supposed to Curse up T1 vs anything but Sleep Leads (LK vs those!) and then LK Turn 2/3 on the incoming Spiker/Counter(Skarm in Stalls). EQ is meant to be used afterwards to beat up the usual Rocks that switch-in after LK was revealed and boom is there to go out with a bang. This set has to be played super agressively to be worth it. It was Miracle Berry over Leftovers on Lax until like 10 mins before the game. I changed it in response to testing but those tests were probably affected a bit by my teammates knowing my set and possibly playing accordingly. In those tests Lefties proved superior but I also didnt play as agressively as I needed to with the Lax. In hindsight I would say Miracle Berry was the correct choice and should have stayed especially because it improves the Sleeper-MU significantly.
- Steelix acts as the stop gap to threats. At first I used the standard Steelix-Boom-set but in testing I played so agressively that I never used Roar and having the ability to force out Zapdos with Rock Slide is quite huge, letting me potentially get the Boom off on the real targets. Steelix was the choice because it lures in all kinds of Water types and is able to safely explode on them (lives most Water attacks) which clears the way for Quagsire. Sometimes cursing up on Zapdos and then exploding on the Cloyster spiking/surfing is the correct move here just to get it out of Quags way.
- Forretress acts as a role compressor here that is also a pseudo-check to many scary mons thanks to its typing and ability to stomach any non fire-hit. Forry also lets me disguise this as a normal team and not BP if I reveal it early enough. I run Spikes/BOOM/Spin for utility and HP[Ghost] to pressure the shadowy phantoms and also soft-check the psychics (Starmie/Jynx). Spin was actually up to debate and I tested both Giga Drain (fk Golom!) and Sleep Talk (Fk Jynx!) but ultimately decided on Spin for a better grind game.
- Gengar is the 2nd part of the Spikes-Engine and hugely important here for multiple reasons. First it shores up the teams weakness to HP[Fire]-Forry by being able to spinblock it and potentially surprise kill it with Fire Punch. Fire Punch also hits Jynx and Steelix reasonably hard who are 2 other Pokemon that can be annoying for this team (Jynx in general, Steelix cuz of Jolt-pass). It also has DBond+Boom so it can pressure as well as act as a check to any possible threat and just double down something. Ice Punch completes the set and is Gengars most spammable move (freeze baby freeze) that hits the majority of dangerous Mons (Grounds/Zapdos).
- Next up is part 1 of the Jolt-Wak engine in Agility-Pass-Jolt. There is nothing fancy about this set this is just plain standard. But well if it works why change it. This slot has also been occupied by Smeargle who probably is a better pure passer but loses out to Jolteon in other areas mainly typing and general utility. So is Jolteon able to check the Elecs and also provides a decent switchin to Skarmory with its Flying-resist and strong Thunders. Also its speed came in handy quite a few times during testing to revenge annoying shit (Starmie/Espeon for example).
-Last but not least we have the Abuser. No i dont mean Chris Brown but the Mudman: Quagsire. I have constantly flip-flopped between Marowak and Quagsire here and in the end only decided on the Axolotl due to its ability to run a certain tech choice way better. Marowak has more immediate power but Quagsire has the more advantageous typing that lets it set up easier.
Just standard Belly Drum-Quag here with the last Move being Protect. Now I tested many choices here like Sludge Bomb or Sub. Sludge Bomb only really hits Grasses (basically Eggy in OU) but most of those are coming out earlier and are sufficiently weakened or defeated already. Sub was too inconsistent. Protect on the other hand proved downright amazing, blanking Explosions meant to end Quags rule and letting Quagsire recover valuable HP without having to be put to sleep and slowing down the pace of the team. Protect lets you for example Lefties-heal out of D-Edge-Range(50%) after Spikes vs. Snorlax, therefore letting Quag safely Belly Drum in Lax' face.

Let's have a look at the game itself: Things started out badly this time due to my last minute change of Miracle Berry to Leftovers on Lax. With Miracle Berry I would have been able to just sleep the Jynx and then probably blow up on the Cloyster setting the pace early. Sadly that wasnt the case and i had to make due. I recovered momentum via my nimble Forry dodging a Thief and got my Steelix in and started boosting. I Rockslid Garay's Zapdos once and boomed the turn after because I assumed he would conclude I did not have Boom (unusual set) and go to his Cloyster to take advantage of that. Sadly it didnt work out and he called it correctly, making me blow up my Steelix on Zapdos which is a bad trade here considering how Zap-proof this team is (no elec-weakness, quag+jolt....). I was only able to get back in the game by correctly predicting his Golem's Explosion giving up Spikes in the process. Afterwards Lax got me another 2 kills by forcing Explosions due to its threat level when boosted by curse. The game was ended by Quagsire drummin it up and goin to town on Lax. This game really showcased how big of difference 1 slight change can make (Miracle Berry vs. Lefties) and how important certain turns are (boom prediction by Garay and me). In the end I luckily walked away the winner here.

And well thats it. That is the first half of the season. Part 2 will follow hopefully soon. I hope I can inspire some of you to give this tier a whirl - it is great fun once immersed and understood.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)