SPL XIII - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
The rule on sellbacks is flawed; there’s a massive hole in it and that came into play here. Nobody should be doubly punished for anything. I hope to fix the rule and retroactively apply it to Devin.

The hosts applied the rule as it is written. They were set-up for failure and public backlash here because of this, so it’s not their fault. TDs in SPL have their hands tied sometimes and it also leaves hosts without resources. We need to work on setting our contributors up for success rather than this.

The TD team should and will review rules, but we have had massive turnover recently and a lot of new faces (including some of the hosts), which makes things hectic and difficult. I’m sorry for those who feel wronged and hope to play my part in making things right, but being rude doesn’t solve anything and it can hurt innocent people.

These are my individual thoughts.

Dear TD team.
It appears you guys have fucked up. For the sake of the integrity of the most prestigious tour on this site and the entirety of the current TD team I think the best course of action now would be:
1 Revert the latest RE: Devin decision asap to not make matters worse.
2 Excuse yourselves for the poor decision making since you guys are a big authority on this site.
3. Not make rash decisions without full involvement of all TD's. It is really annoying to see different TD's constantly just say "yea wasnt me dont blame me".
4. Make point 3 something that is actually punishable.
5. Change the bad rulings asap as well. There should be no waiting until SPL ends as Jirachee said.

I hope these points will be considered and that the rest of SPL 13 will be enjoyable for everyone.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
?
Don't you think that devin is the one who has been treated rudely?
We're just mad that the community will always be victim of this poor administration.
That was quite literally directed at Devin and those close to him, yes.

Seasons

Sassy Sunshine
is a Forum Moderator
We need to work on setting our contributors up for success rather than this.
Personally, I will set up contributors for success when they are capable of making reasonable, unbiased decisions that improve the community rather than making decisions behind closed doors with no proof ever given on one side, while turning a blind eye to incriminating proof available to the public on the other side. The only way for the public eye to perceive this is a blatantly biased unjust decision being made.

Also, I feel that a TD that blindly follows and executes a rule regardless of whether it makes sense or not is not a good TD. Especially when those people then resort to blaming an unknown other TD because they were conveniently not involved.

The rule on sellbacks is flawed; there’s a massive hole in it and that came into play here. Nobody should be doubly punished for anything. I hope to fix the rule and retroactively apply it to Devin.

The hosts applied the rule as it is written. They were set-up for failure and public backlash here because of this, so it’s not their fault. TDs in SPL have their hands tied sometimes and it also leaves hosts without resources. We need to work on setting our contributors up for success rather than this.

The TD team should and will review rules, but we have had massive turnover recently and a lot of new faces (including some of the hosts), which makes things hectic and difficult. I’m sorry for those who feel wronged and hope to play my part in making things right, but being rude doesn’t solve anything and it can hurt innocent people.

These are my individual thoughts.
ok im more confused now, so youre saying that the TD team is relatively unexperienced yet you all still rushed the decision?

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Isn’t it site policy that if you’re forum banned you’re supposed to be banned from Smogon-related discords as well? And now devin is being punished for not being in a Smogon-related discord while forum banned?

seems kinda damned if you do damned if you don’t

Thank you TadaRinri for this avalanche of facts, the end of the post reminds me that this forum has an owner lol, in fact what most people don't understand since this morning is the general fatigue expressed by the players, and this decision is just the drop too much, as said before there are fraudulent acts coming from people with power on this forum jeopardizing the mental health of some people with unfair decisions, depriving many of them of being able to play the game freely since apparently being banned from the forum results in a permalock too. I didn't really care if I was taken for a clown, a moron or a hothead, I came here to laugh, but in fact I can't laugh seeing the way this forum is managed, delete or not my post at least the truth is told, whether the people involved are pissed off or not I don't care, and I particularly address the group of 8~9 people who feel untouchable because they are friends with the right people on the forum, we know who you are and we're done laughing with you, enjoy the last sip of power you have left.

Perhaps you guys could stop deleting every post that might happen to imply people aren't too happy with how you seem to handle criticism? Seems less like a friendly in touch with the community moderation team, and more like a bunch of kids power tripping online - who's to say though right?

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The situation is all out outrageous

Like yes, there are rules and it is preferred for them to be followed step by step as stated... but there are always exceptions to the rule, and this whole situation with devin has just been awfully approached related to this tournament. In no way, shape, or fashion you can expect a banned guy that was actually drafted to go ahead and remain on the team discord on his own will to help the team. The common response is crushing demotivation and just wanting to disconnect to anything related to the source of your ban.

I have been on both sides and it is a lot more different to be invited in a server as a helper than being drafted, that feeling to belonging to something big is much more different and getting kicked for it, if you deserve it or not, is absolutely crushing. Then after the fact the man lying on the floor defeated is getting kicked in the nuts for not contributing in this state?! cmon, and yes, the guy being forum banned shouldnt even be in an official discord related to smogon and the sellback should have been effective immediately the moment the guy ban was made effective.

There has to be some critical thinking while analyzing situations like this, cause I believe as part of a mod team we want the best outcome for all parties involved into making the tournament possible, which are the players and managers involved. Looking for the benefits of the raiders and devin is supposed to be the main idea while attaching to the rules to not generate bad precedents.

Stuff needs to be done better, I agree we are probably throwing too many bombs at the staff, but one has to be critical about the good arguments presented, and I dont see it so far sadly.

sasha

one eyed owl
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
tadapost.PNG
realistically i dont really give a fuck whos banned or not or about your post but your point here of trying to make banning people for not pokemon related things is pretty odd. do you think people like john w zamrock or cynara should be allowed on smogon? or people who are openly homophobic/racist/bigoted? just because you know someone as a nice user doesnt mean theyre going to remain a nice user everywhere else. just as you said things happen behind the curtain, so im not sure why that suddenly doesnt apply to people whove been banned. calling out whatever corruption or shit is happening with the tds (yawn) is cool and all but that point otherwise can be misconstrued

devins spl ban for not contributing is stupid obviously but lets not jump the gun on bans altogether here

Last edited:

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
love that we're all collectively ignoring that most banned users in the past have seemingly had no problem "remaining active" and "helping out" their friends and teammates despite rules to the contrary. some of them are even in this very thread!!! cancel culture fails again.... crazy...

isn't that something we've been trying to collectively weed out though? Like for a ban to be effective you want the person you do it to to be actively gone right? Like people skirt rules all the time - very true, but you can't on one hand look to stamp out rule skirting then use "well they should be willing to stick around by default" as an epic gotcha :worrywhirl:

if they're gone and not using the site, congrats your ban had the intended effect, no further sanction necessary?

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
love that we're all collectively ignoring that most banned users in the past have seemingly had no problem "remaining active" and "helping out" their friends and teammates despite rules to the contrary. some of them are even in this very thread!!! cancel culture fails again.... crazy...
its only been 15 minutes youre still in time to delete this post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)