SPL XII - Commencement Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Craig called my alt out in the ladder after losing the easiest game of my career this week, and told me i should watch his finals game for tie break this friday for a true demonstration of ability, and im in fact hella impressed. Well done talah you are the greatest of this generation, what a showman.

yone

The One.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
I agree with bea on what he says. I would also like to add that if provocation is part of the sporting spirit, it does not justify abusing it and moreover, in this context where it is very difficult to keep calm, because it is the most important game. I don't know what insults were said but 100p is not to blame, whatever the result he reacted on the spot and we all know it.

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
I used to call kokoloko cocacola and got a 2-point infraction for that ‘insult’ too. Some of the moderators on Smogon have 3-inch dicks so they like to give out 2-point infractions at any opportunity they can to feel big about themselves.

I wouldn’t be offended by it.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
Im not one to chime in in these kinds of topics but at one point we have to put a stop to people like jisoo. for some context, 100p had just lost what might have been his most important game on smogon, its only natural for him to be frustrated after losing a game that was out of his control, and then this random that seems to be a talah slave comes out of nowhere to insult him and in frustration craig responds with a harsher insult. dont try to make this about gays and homophobes, its more about randoms who should keep such stupid comments to themselves in heated moments where the player theyre insulting is frustrated and theyre more likely than not going to retaliate. I think if youre going to give craig a 2 point infraction for insulting someone in the heat of the moment jisoo should get one as well, while his insult wasnt on the same level as craigs in this context if craig is getting punished so should he.
I agree with bea on what he says. I would also like to add that if provocation is part of the sporting spirit, it does not justify abusing it and moreover, in this context where it is very difficult to keep calm, because it is the most important game. I don't know what insults were said but 100p is not to blame, whatever the result he reacted on the spot and we all know it.
While i do agree that taunting/provoking someone right after a tough/important loss is bad (and punishable depending on context n shit), in no way justifies attacking back: if you can't control your temper and need to attack back that's on you, and ofc you're getting infracted if what you say is offensive.
And ofc both infractions shouldn't be on the same level by default: what you say and how bad it is matters.

(also: "I don't know what insults were said but" should be a good point to stop posting)

Sacri'

the end is here
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Im not one to chime in in these kinds of topics but at one point we have to put a stop to people like jisoo. for some context, 100p had just lost what might have been his most important game on smogon, its only natural for him to be frustrated after losing a game that was out of his control, and then this random that seems to be a talah slave comes out of nowhere to insult him and in frustration craig responds with a harsher insult. dont try to make this about gays and homophobes, its more about randoms who should keep such stupid comments to themselves in heated moments where the player theyre insulting is frustrated and theyre more likely than not going to retaliate. I think if youre going to give craig a 2 point infraction for insulting someone in the heat of the moment jisoo should get one as well, while his insult wasnt on the same level as craigs in this context if craig is getting punished so should he.
memes aside, this is just baffling to me lol. you'd think i'm not one to give lectures about lashing out at smogtours shittalkers but that's the thing: you can defend yourself and retaliate to someone's shittalking without saying the kind of bs that 100p has said, i have done it, many others have done it. but if frustration caused by the loss of a pokemon game and some mild shittalking causes you to be this vile then i'd say some major introspection is needed because this behavior is just not normal and i absolutely do not blame the mods for thinking the infraction was more than deserved.

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
if you’ve ever laddered seriously and never once told an opponent to go jump down a bridge or go eat shit and die, I wouldn’t call you human. You’re a rock with zero feelings.
I doubt anyone has done that in the last 3-4 years without any repercussions. I understand the boomer joke of "back in my day everyone was an asshole and now people have feelings??" but let's not pretend that it's cool to tell someone to die, even as a joke.

Grats wolfpack, a well fought and well deserved win :blobwizard:

Congratulations to the Wi-Fi Wolfpack on a win that came right down to the wire! It turns out the win was prophesized by some guy with 2 hours on his hands because of some pandemic. After 11 SPLs, there is finally a power rankings that correctly predicted a winner by removing just about every useful measure of performance and using a metric that is barely any more accurate than drawing from a hat.

THE VERY UNOFFICIAL UNBIASED POWER RANKINGS

Are you tired of reading repetitive, inaccurate and sometimes biased power rankings? You've come to the right place. Over the years, the power rankings have never correctly predicted a winner - why might this be? Well, for a start, they use hopelessly inaccurate metrics to estimate players' expected performance, such as recent tour success, past tour records and size of their respective circle jerks. However, there is one key metric that is often overlooked - the length of players' names. It is common knowledge that players with shorter names always do better in the tour scene (as such I will be renaming myself to ENZ in the coming days), and I will be using this lesser acknowledged measure of skill to determine which teams are on the path to glory. Clearly, this method avoids all bias, and allows me to make complete predictions without knowing 90% of the playerbase.

Since the 1st week lineups are not available, an average is taken from each team's entire roster, with the lowest average taking the top spot. So who will take the crown?

1st Wi-Fi Wolfpack - Average 6.00
Coming out on the top of the pile is the Wolfpack, who clearly went in with these rankings in mind and made ABR the most expensive player of the draft. The short name power surges through the whole team, with a whopping 10 players with 6 or fewer letters in their names. On the basis of these rankings that were definitely not plucked out of thin air, Wolfpack supporters have reason to be optimistic that they can return to the glory days of SPL IX

2nd Circus Maximus Tigers - Average 6.29
Hot on the heels of the Classiest is the Tigers, narrowly missing out on the top spot. The managerial duo Callous and JabbaTheGriffin, who boast the longest names out of all the manager pairings, looked to be on top after paying out large amounts on BK and Dice, before picking up SadisticNarwhal towards the end of the draft, pulling their average down.

3rd Congregation of the Classiest - Average 6.83
Coming in next after the Tigers is the Classiest, who could be set for a run at the playoffs if this proves to be remotely accurate. It is perhaps unsurprising to see the Classiest near the top of these rankings, considering they are managed by D0nut and Snaga, the managerial duo with the shortest name combination in the competition.

4th Cryonicles - Average 7.12
Rounding out the top 4 is the Cryonicles, who appear to be dragged down by the the snappily named [K-12] The Madchine. Fortunately, the Cryonicles are managed by Triangles, who despite being on the lengthy side of usernames, should be able to carry the team in the looks department as well as the building department. On the other hand, Finchinator will hopefully be trying to prove that despite his lengthy name, he can produce the goods when it matters, and maybe even eat vegetables in his lunch.

5th Alpha Ruiners - Average 7.13
Missing out on the playoff spots by a hair is the Ruiners, who perhaps should consider persuading Ox the Fox to rename to Ox to bolster their lineup. However, their squad has lots of potential with multiple users hovering in the viable 5-7 letter range. They appeared to be on a good track by retaining multiple short-name users, but slipped down the rankings upon purchasing multiple players with 10+ letters early in the draft.

6th Indie Scooters - Average 7.40
Gefährlicher Random.

7th Ever Grande BIGs - Average 7.50
BIGs by name, BIGS by nature. This is most apparent from their decision to spend a significant chunk of their money on McMeghan and Eternal Spirit, with other names such as ElectricityCat helping to drop them to the lower end of the rankings.

8th Stark Sharks - Average 7.56
Towards the lower end of the pack is the Sharks. Some shrewd acquisitions such as Fear and Xray were overshadowed by the ludicrous decision to get Byronthewellwell, who seems determined to waste as little of the character limit as possible. However, there may be tensions in the Sharks' ranks between the UK duo of Lycan and Watermess and the multiple Europeans in the Sharks' roster whenever the topic of Brexit comes up. Watch this space.

9th Team Raiders - Average 8.14
Looking at the more expensive acquisitions in the Raiders' roster suggests that their managers were clearly not on board the short name power train. This is seen most visibly by the presence of FriendOfMrGolem120, FlamingVictini and Jimmy Turtwig, who went for a combined 69.5k despite all having names which exceeded the unviable 10 letter mark.

10th Dragonspiral Tyrunts - Average 8.40
Bringing up the rear is the Tyrunts, whose ranking is primarily anchored downwards by the purchases of 100percentpureheat and CrashinBoomBang. One thing that might differentiate the Tyrunts from the others is their combined skill at Among Us. Expect the Tyrunts to win the mind games and to vent their way out of trouble if things do not go their way. If players from other teams mysteriously go missing, be sure to check Electrical.
Some Conclusions:
1) It's probably time to retire the official power rankings

ima

Take me to your leader
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Congrats on 8-3 Craig.
Congrats to the Wolfpack, I knew you were destined for greatness ever since you beat me in smogon championship
Really happy for talah mael ABR (carried)
Star, 10-2 is fucking crazy, good shit. Every time I play you I know that I'm playing a really good player. You stay consistent through everything and thats hella impressive dawg
Tyrants, you guys are threatening as hell, and I really thought your new gens were the best this whole tournament and I still do. All of you pretty much had a great season so I hope this loss doesnt put you guys down. Eo especially, I know you might be feeling bad after that loss but I still look up to you as a person and player and your domination from Snake will never disappear. And Craig, congrats on the 8-3.

I've livestreamed every SPL weekend up to week 1 with many faces like FlamingVictini McMeghan Finchinator Eo Ut Mortus lax Coconut z0mOG Luthier Leo elodin baddummy choolio Empo 100percentpureheat blarghlfarghl and more, if you're interested in looking back at this SPL I will always have them up on my YouTube! Here is the VOD for today
YT

Be sure to follow McMeghan, Finch, Luthier, BKC and FV on YT and Twitch. Competitive Smogon on YT needs more recognition in this day and age, and these 5 are the best I know that cover every game and provide amazing analysis. I cant thank them enough for helping me get into the streaming community in general, if you really want to get into the community and participate in tournaments like these I highly recommend them the most as you can learn so much from just watching their vids. Huge shout out to Roro for helping me when I was starting with everything :heart:

I also had a post SPL interview with talah like 35 minutes into the VOD so if you want to hear that it's a good one!
Will stream WCOP Qualifiers and WCOP in general!

Look at zoms post SPL team showcase plz

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)